Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » At least one contender is set to say the contest should be

Comments

• Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,335
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Peak BBC?

I wonder if they'll be publishing Daniel Hannan's "viewpoint":

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-34173091

Why are the BBC even "reprinting" rubbish like this. Surely it must breach their impartiality rules.
    I actually got incensed enough to make a complaint. I'm sure it will amount to nothing...

This article is a disgrace, it puts across only one view point of this refugee crisis, it glosses over all of the negative sides to Mrs. Merkel's policy such as increased people trafficking and the dangers of indentured slave labour of refugees who disappear into the system. It is also painting a wholly unrealistic view that everyone in Germany supports more refugees and those who don't are fascists or Nazi's.

This is by far the most disgusting portrayal of people who don't support more migration and it should be retracted immediately.

The author calling those who accept Islam "enlightened" and those who don't some kind of underclass is also absolutely disgusting and should be retracted.

The article also fails to mention that just 30-40% of people crossing the Hungary-Austria border were of Syrian origin, the rest were Somali, Afghan or Pakistani - people completely unrelated to the current Syrian conflict.

The BBC must either retract this article or publish another "viewpoint" with an opposing viewpoint from a reasonable author, not Nigel Farrage.
    It's the kind of article that would have had Sir John Junor saying "pass the sickbag, Alice."
  • Options
    JWisemannJWisemann Posts: 1,082
    Cyclefree said:

JWisemann said:

Erm.. As far as I'm aware Hezbollah and Hamas aren't actually enemies of the UK. Indeed, Hezbollah share our (declared) aim of destroying ISIS in Syria. And it looks likely Hamas will be fighting them soon, too. Enemies of Israel doesn't equal enemies of the UK.

Hamas want to kill every Jew in the world. That includes British Jews. An organisation that wants to kill your citizens certainly qualifies as an enemy. It is also a designated terrorist organisation.

No they don't.
    Don't be ridiculous. They are an unpleasant lot, to be sure, but are just a common or garden local militia, and pose absolutely no threat to the UK.
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    edited September 2015
    JWisemann said:

Erm.. As far as I'm aware Hezbollah and Hamas aren't actually enemies of the UK. Indeed, Hezbollah share our (declared) aim of destroying ISIS in Syria. And it looks likely Hamas will be fighting them soon, too. Enemies of Israel doesn't equal enemies of the UK.

Yup, that kind of "nuanced" view is going to go down a storm in the ballot boxes of Middle England isn't it?

Most people are going to pick up on the less subtle point of today "Government blows bad guy to Hell with RAF explosives. Good"

It really is that simple, and as said chap, now departed this world, came from walking distance of where I live, and so there seems a pretty good chance I and my friends and family would be highish on the list of possible targets for his warped world view, should he have chosen to sneak back in and do a bit of home grown terrorism, I await My Corbyn's endorsement of Government policy on this one.
  • Options
    I would think that David Cameron's announcement today of 20000 Syrian's to come to UK from the refugee camps and his taking out of two British ISIS fighters in Syria by drone will be very popular. And on the debate in the HOC's Hattie was just dreadful
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 93,358
    JWisemann said:

Mr. Wisemann, Assad also shares that aim.

Even Al-Qaeda are enemies of ISIS. Being against ISIS simply means you're not a member/sympathiser of ISIS.

Are Hezbollah and Hamas enemies of the UK, and if so, why?
    I believe the military wings of both, if not the entire bodies of both, are proscribed as terrorist organisations by the UK? As such, they surely are enemies until such time as they are not allied to the terrorist wings of their own organisations? Not full our war against them at all costs enemies, and sometimes our interests may well converge, it is a strange world after all, but the term enemy can be pretty wide ranging.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362

I would think that David Cameron's announcement today of 20000 Syrian's to come to UK from the refugee camps and his taking out of two British ISIS fighters in Syria by drone will be very popular. And on the debate in the HOC's Hattie was just dreadful

Twenty thousand will never be enough,just watch.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @WikiGuido: Love the Tory MP heckle after Corbyn's question: "he's good" http://t.co/veVVxSa4BO
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

JWisemann said:

Even Al-Qaeda are enemies of ISIS. Being against ISIS simply means you're not a member/sympathiser of ISIS.

Yes, because they are fundamentalists who want to destroy one of our allies (Israel).
    Israel might have many friends amongst the UK establishment elite but they are no friend of the UK. As most of the UK population know, hence the large majority of the population with a negative opinion of the country.

Hezbollah and Hamas were founded to protect Lebanese and Palestinian Territory from Israeli occupation, and neither pose any existential threat to the Israeli state, as I'm sure you are aware.
  • Options
    JEOJEO Posts: 3,656
    JWisemann said:

Of course we know who Cameron does consider a friend - the Saudis, responsible for 90% of extremism in the Muslim world.

When has David Cameron called them his friends? Did he call them honoured citizens and castigate the press for denigrating them? Maybe he lobbied for them to be appointed to the board of British universities?
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 39,138
    edited September 2015
    JWisemann said:

Cyclefree said:

JWisemann said:

Hamas want to kill every Jew in the world. That includes British Jews. An organisation that wants to kill your citizens certainly qualifies as an enemy. It is also a designated terrorist organisation.

No they don't.
    Don't be ridiculous. They are an unpleasant lot, to be sure, but are just a common or garden local militia, and pose absolutely no threat to the UK.

This is what Corbyn will do to Labour. Instead of unequivocally condemning organisations that terrorise the populations they control and seek to obliterate a friendly sovereign state, the party will be looking for mealy-mouthed justifications for not unequivocally condemning them.

• Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    The best defence Europe has now against the tide is a wet, cold and windy autumn.

• Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    JEO said:

JWisemann said:

Of course we know who Cameron does consider a friend - the Saudis, responsible for 90% of extremism in the Muslim world.

When has David Cameron called them his friends? Did he call them honoured citizens and castigate the press for denigrating them? Maybe he lobbied for them to be appointed to the board of British universities?
    We had a flag at half mast when one of them croaked it.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    Plato said:

The best defence Europe has now against the tide is a wet, cold and windy autumn.

How many do you think will die?
  • Options

JWisemann said:

Cyclefree said:

JWisemann said:

No they don't.
    This is what Corbyn will do to Labour. Instead of unequivocally condemning organisations that terrorise the populations they control and seek to obliterate a friendly sovereign state, the party will be looking for mealy-mouthed justifications for not unequivocally condemning them.
    Correct. As a matter of interest now (given your assuming Corbyn will win) - which party do you favour voting for if any?
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

Plato said:

Possibly less as fewer trips will be attempted ?
  • Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474
    JWisemann said:

Cyclefree said:

JWisemann said:

No they don't.
    That's right, they're just cutesy little freedom fighters.
  • Options
    As a patriotic, economically classical liberal, I am uncomfortable with todays news about the drone strike. A sad day, but probably inevitable because of militant islam. Glad I no longer live in London.
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    I expect them to turn around and pass the message on.
    RodCrosby said:

Plato said:

• Options

JWisemann said:

Cyclefree said:

JWisemann said:

No they don't.
    Correct. As a matter of interest now (given your assuming Corbyn will win) - which party do you favour voting for if any?

I am trying to be a LibDem, though I am struggling to convince myself :-)

I am very over Labour.

• Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    JWisemann said:

Did I notice a swift subject change from hamas and Hezbollah ? Can't think why...
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @JohnRentoul: The other striking feature was that Corbyn was cheered to his feet by Tory MPs.
  • Options

And on the debate in the HOC's Hattie was just dreadful

To be fair, Hattie has been going through a rather difficult patch in her day job, so she's probably not on her best form.
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460

As a patriotic, economically classical liberal, I am uncomfortable with todays news about the drone strike. A sad day, but probably inevitable because of militant islam. Glad I no longer live in London.

It is sad, but we have to draw the line somewhere, and it seems pretty clear on this one.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,269
    JWisemann said:

Cyclefree said:

JWisemann said:

No they don't.
    I suggest you read their charter which says exactly that. It is you who are being ridiculous in ignoring what these organisations say they want to do.

An organisation set up to kill people on the basis of their race and religion is something worse than an "unpleasant lot". That is a ridiculous statement.

Still, if Labour want to lie down with these particular dogs, they will catch their fleas. Their chice.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,761
    edited September 2015
    Scott_P said:

@JohnRentoul: The other striking feature was that Corbyn was cheered to his feet by Tory MPs.

That was more like polite amusement than cheering. The cheering will be at around 12:05 next Wednesday.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,686
    JWisemann said:

MaxPB said:

JWisemann said:

Yes, because they are fundamentalists who want to destroy one of our allies (Israel).
    Israel might have many friends amongst the UK establishment elite but they are no friend of the UK. As most of the UK population know, hence the large majority of the population with a negative opinion of the country.

Hezbollah and Hamas were founded to protect Lebanese and Palestinian Territory from Israeli occupation, and neither pose any existential threat to the Israeli state, as I'm sure you are aware.
    Neither pose any existential threat to Israel? Deluded.
  • Options

JWisemann said:

Cyclefree said:

JWisemann said:

No they don't.

Ok, so all context and nuance should be ignored in favour of the PB Tory view where we are at war with Eastasia, always have been, and everything they do is bad whilst everything Eurasia do is good. Good to know which side of the war on sanity you lie, SO.
  • Options

I'd rather he be assassinated in Syria along with a few ISIS mates than have him sneak back into the UK and put people in danger.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    edited September 2015
    JWisemann said:

MaxPB said:

JWisemann said:

JWisemann you really believe the guff you are spouting? Hamas' sole reason for existing is their urge to destroy Israel in toto: http://fas.org/irp/world/para/docs/880818a.htm
    THE COVENANT OF THE HAMAS - MAIN POINTS

'The Day of Judgment will not come about until Moslems fight Jews and

kill them. Then, the Jews will hide behind rocks and trees, and the

rocks and trees will cry out: 'O Moslem, there is a Jew hiding behind

me, come and kill him.' (Article 7)
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

RodCrosby said:

Plato said:

Possibly less as fewer trips will be attempted ?
    Get real. Many of these people don't value their lives, and are prepared to throw them away in their quest to break into Eldorado...

Or Allah will protect them, or reward them if they fail...
    “And whoever emigrates for the cause of Allah will find on the earth many locations and abundance,” says the Qur’an. “And whoever leaves his home as an emigrant to Allah and His Messenger and then death overtakes him, his reward has already become incumbent upon Allah. And Allah is ever Forgiving and Merciful.” (4:100)
  • Options
    JEOJEO Posts: 3,656
    It's worth bearing in mind that Hezbollah are a major actor in the Syrian civil war, forming a major part of Assad's forces, and will be unequivocally an enemy of the UK when we launch air strikes against the Assad regime.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

JWisemann said:

Cyclefree said:

JWisemann said:

No they don't.
    I suggest you read their charter which says exactly that. It is you who are being ridiculous in ignoring what these organisations say they want to do.

An organisation set up to kill people on the basis of their race and religion is something worse than an "unpleasant lot". That is a ridiculous statement.

Still, if Labour want to lie down with these particular dogs, they will catch their fleas. Their chice.
    No one is suggesting that at all. I'm saying Hezbollah and Hamas are neither enemies nor friends of the UK and are certainly no more unpleasant than a number of official friends of the UK establishment. I'm also saying that the aims of Hezbollah currently align with ours.
  • Options

JWisemann said:

Personally I know where I'd rather live if given the choice between an area of Lebanon under Hezbollah and an area of Syria under the Sunni jihadist rebels which we have previously supported.

Germany ?
    I don't care where he lives so long as it does not have an internet connection.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

I'd rather he be assassinated in Syria along with a few ISIS mates than have him sneak back into the UK and put people in danger.
    You are probably right. But it is a line that I wish we had not had to cross.
  • Options
    F1: worth noting Mitch Evans was disqualified from GP2 (qualifying, I think) for having under pressure tyres. There are some arguing this is great inconsistency, given Hamilton suffered no penalty in the race.
  • Options
    JWisemann said:

JWisemann said:

Cyclefree said:

JWisemann said:

No they don't.

Ok, so all context and nuance should be ignored in favour of the PB Tory view where we are at war with Eastasia, always have been, and everything they do is bad whilst everything Eurasia do is good. Good to know which side of the war on sanity you lie, SO.
    With views like yours on the doorstep the "left" won't get elected to run a village raffle. Shame.
  • Options
    JWisemann said:

JWisemann said:

Cyclefree said:

JWisemann said:

No they don't.

I am highly critical of many Israeli actions, but that does not mean I would ever describe those who wish to kill Jews and destroy their country as my friends. If you believe that is insane, I understand better why you are a Corbynista.

• Options
    Plato said:

Yes but in 6 months time it starts again.
  • Options

JWisemann said:

Cyclefree said:

JWisemann said:

No they don't.

Hamas want to create an Islamic state. Presumably the Islamic state they want to create will be a nice cuddly one completely different from the nasty IS Islamic state.

Or perhaps pigs will fly past my window right now.........

• Options
    Indigo said:

JWisemann said:

JWisemann said:

Cyclefree said:

JWisemann said:

No they don't.

With views like yours on the doorstep the "left" won't get elected to run a village raffle. Shame.
    Most of the UK public are sceptical of Israel and pointless wars in the Middle East.

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,682
    MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

I could vote to stay in on the status quo as well.

But I don't believe the status quo is sustainable in the long-term.

Why do you think it is?

I think the EU lacks a meaningful "settlement" between the Eurozone and those who will likely never join it in deeper integration (Sweden, the UK, and Denmark).

Personal view is that the negotiation should be between the three countries that will not be joining the Eurozone and the rest of the EU predicated on the basis that (a) the Eurozone will need to integrate further if it is to survive, but (b) there is a substantial minority of countries that don't want to be on that bus. (It might also offer an opportunity for some countries to get off the Eurozone bus...) It would recognise that the interests of non-Eurozone members need to be protected, and also that the Eurozone needs the flexibility to deal with its many problems.

What I think is sad is that David Cameron doesn't seem to be going down that route. The other two "refuseniks" should be in London trying to put together a common platform.
    As an aside, what is your view of how the City is going to vote? In my experience, "No/Leave/Out" was considered to be a joke this time last year and anyone who supported it did so in the privacy of their own workstation, a year later and some serious players are beginning to talk up the idea and people who support leaving aren't so scared to say so.

Have you (and this goes for Charles and Cyclefree as well) seen a similar change in the London based US banks?
    I think the answer is that it depends on the post-exit settlement.

I've said from the start that business and the City would not be particularly scared by EFTA/EEA as an exit strategy.

Yes: financial products can still be sold across the continent under "single passport" regulation.
    Yes: staff can move around the continent without restriction

But with lower taxes, and (marginally) less burdensome regulation.

I also suspect that we would be in at least as good position with regards to preventing negative financial regulation.

*But*, I think the City and business would be very much more opposed to something that took us "more out" than Switzerland, for example.
  • Options
    An Israeli soldier who participated in the [2006 Lebanon] war said that Hezbollah fighters were "nothing like Hamas or the Palestinians. They are trained and highly qualified. All of us were kind of surprised."[156]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_Lebanon_War

• Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited September 2015
  • Options
    JWisemann said:

Cyclefree said:

JWisemann said:

Cyclefree said:

JWisemann said:

No they don't.

No one is suggesting that at all. I'm saying Hezbollah and Hamas are neither enemies nor friends of the UK and are certainly no more unpleasant than a number of official friends of the UK establishment. I'm also saying that the aims of Hezbollah currently align with ours.
    No they don't. We don't want the spread of Islamic-inspired terrorism. We don't want Jews targeted because they are Jews. We don't want an Islamic state in the Middle East. Perhaps Corbyn does.

• Options
    JWisemann said:

Indigo said:

JWisemann said:

JWisemann said:

Cyclefree said:

JWisemann said:

No they don't.

Most of the UK public are sceptical of Israel and pointless wars in the Middle East.

Go on believing that will make a difference to voting for friends of terrorists if it makes you feel better. No harm in whistling to keep your spirits up
  • Options
    JWisemann said:

Indigo said:

JWisemann said:

JWisemann said:

Cyclefree said:

JWisemann said:

No they don't.

Just like they were against "austerity" and for "fairness" in the GE ? Lolza.

• Options
    JEO said:

It's worth bearing in mind that Hezbollah are a major actor in the Syrian civil war, forming a major part of Assad's forces, and will be unequivocally an enemy of the UK when we launch air strikes against the Assad regime.

I'd be quite happy to see Hezbollah and Assad destroy ISIS asap. I don't recall the genocide of minorities and mass cultural destruction under either party, whatever my misgivings about them in comparison with libel western democracies. I'm not aware of any insane plan to help ISIS by bombing Assad, but if we were mad enough to, we'd deserve Hezbollah's opprobrium.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 26,069
    edited September 2015
    JEO said:

I thought the airstrikes were meant to be against ISIS? What a curious prediction - I'm sure you're not suggesting our Government are misleading the public into endorsing yet more military action aimed at regime change in the Middle East.
  • Options
    Guido has a picture of the droned ISIS fighter meeting Yvette Coopers husband ...
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 93,358
    Nice to see the old 'anyone who doesn't agree with me is a PB Tory' opinion being floated again. As Tories seem more prevalent around here the reverse 'anyone who doesn't agree with me is commie' isn't seen as much, as one cannot claim innocence at making the mistake as much, as it is implausible.
    JWisemann said:

Indigo said:

JWisemann said:

JWisemann said:

Cyclefree said:

JWisemann said:

No they don't.

Certainly, myself included. Like many people I am instinctively quite critical of Israel. How that means organisations either fully or with military wings listed as terror organisations are not enemies of ours, I do not follow.
  • Options
    Looks like Hamas may now have a run for their money in Gaza:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Army_of_the_Islamic_State
  • Options

Mr. Observer, you're clearly (and rightly) concerned by the prospect of a Corbyn victory. Is this going to put you off Labour?

Hell, yes. I voted Labour at the last election because I did not want a Tory majority. I still don't, but I want Corbyn in Downing Street even less. He is utter poison, even if he is polite.

My vote would also be one of the nine million to be lost. If Corbyn leads the Labour Party in 2020, I would consider casting my vote for any of the parties with the exception of BNP, Labour and UKIP. I have voted Labour in every general election since 1983.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

JWisemann said:

Cyclefree said:

JWisemann said:

No they don't.

Hamas want to create an Islamic state. Presumably the Islamic state they want to create will be a nice cuddly one completely different from the nasty IS Islamic state.

It probably would be less bad than IS, but it would be entirely cleansed of Christians, Jews, and other non-Muslims.
  • Options
    isam said:

JackW said:

isam said:

JackW said:

isam said:

"Two British men killed by RAF drone strike in Syria last month" BBC today

"..there lies the certainty of violence on a scale which can only adequately be described as civil war" Enoch Powell 1981

Our government are now deliberately killing our own citizens. Everyone was warned this would happen a long, long time ago

Not quite sure we're at civil war levels or are ever likely so to be.

The British nation has survived waves of immigration over the centuries and I don't doubt we'll do so again in a measured and reasoned fashion as in days gone by. It's our way.

The phrase was "violence on a scale which can only adequately be described as civil war"

I'd say the British Govt killing its own citizens via drone strikes fits that description adequately

The immigration over the centuries is not comparable with that of the last 30-40 years, that's just a line trotted out by the liberal elite.
    Poppycock.

The death of two British ISIS terrorists does not constitute civil war.

The "liberal elite" might just be correct. It has been known.

British people are plotting to kill British people en masse as a consequence of mass immigration

Now the government are killing its own people to nip it in the bud

So I cant say that I agree with the liberal elite that mass immigration was a success, especially not when people at the time were warning that precisely what is happening now, would happen if it were allowed to continue
    Still, the unaffected would rather people die that admit they got it wrong.
    You are bonkers. And typically nasty with it. What are in effect mercenaries fighting in the middle east have been killed. They ran away from Britain to be mercenaries, that is fighting in an active war against a democratic (Iraqi) govt.

In terms of home home grown within our borders civil war we have been fighting and killing Northern Irish terrorists for years.
  • Options
    I should add I voted for Rupa Huq, who though she supports Cooper, nominated Corbyn. I really find it hard to envisage voting for her again.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 50,010
    edited September 2015
    Cyclefree said:

JWisemann said:

Cyclefree said:

JWisemann said:

No they don't.

Looks like Hamas may now have a run for their money in Gaza
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Army_of_the_Islamic_State
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Cyclefree said:

JWisemann said:

Cyclefree said:

JWisemann said:

No they don't.

It probably would be less bad than IS, but it would be entirely cleansed of Christians, Jews, and other non-Muslims.
    By cleansed, he means killed.
    Somehow I don't think Israel will allow that to happen.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Cyclefree said:

JWisemann said:

Cyclefree said:

JWisemann said:

No they don't.

You do realise that Israel have been a much greater threat to the Christians of Palestine than Hamas, thus far, right?
  • Options

F1: worth noting Mitch Evans was disqualified from GP2 (qualifying, I think) for having under pressure tyres. There are some arguing this is great inconsistency, given Hamilton suffered no penalty in the race.

Mercedes' argument was that the tyres were the correct pressure when fitted to the car (supervised by Pirelli man) and that measuring pressure on the grid after the tyre warmers removed was inappropriate as pressure will always decrease with temperature once the warmers are removed on the dummy grid.

The FIA technical man doesn't understand the basic physics of gas (nitrogen rather than air) in tyres, that is somewhat worrying.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    edited September 2015
    isam said:

JackW said:

isam said:

JackW said:

isam said:

"..there lies the certainty of violence on a scale which can only adequately be described as civil war" Enoch Powell 1981

Our government are now deliberately killing our own citizens. Everyone was warned this would happen a long, long time ago

The British nation has survived waves of immigration over the centuries and I don't doubt we'll do so again in a measured and reasoned fashion as in days gone by. It's our way.

The phrase was "violence on a scale which can only adequately be described as civil war"

I'd say the British Govt killing its own citizens via drone strikes fits that description adequately

The immigration over the centuries is not comparable with that of the last 30-40 years, that's just a line trotted out by the liberal elite.
    Poppycock.

British people are plotting to kill British people en masse as a consequence of mass immigration

So I cant say that I agree with the liberal elite that mass immigration was a success, especially not when people at the time were warning that precisely what is happening now, would happen if it were allowed to continue

If it were drone strikes on Finsbury Park Mosque then that would be civil war. These two went to join IS on foreign territory. They chose to enter a war zone, and put their lives at risk. Nice work by the RAF dronesters.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Cyclefree said:

JWisemann said:

Cyclefree said:

JWisemann said:

No they don't.

Islamic pigs..? :tongue:
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    edited September 2015

isam said:

JackW said:

isam said:

JackW said:

isam said:

Poppycock.

You are bonkers. And typically nasty with it. What are in effect mercenaries fighting in the middle east have been killed. They ran away from Britain to be mercenaries, that is fighting in an active war against a democratic (Iraqi) govt.

In terms of home home grown within our borders civil war we have been fighting and killing Northern Irish terrorists for years.
    You are a fool.

They were killed by the British government because they posed "a direct threat" to British people including plotting "barbaric" attacks against commemorations in the UK this summer.

So says David Cameron

Mass immigration of the kind we have experienced was always going to create the conditions for this to happen.

And now it is happening

Enoch was right

You are a...

• Options
    TGOHF said:

JEO said:

JWisemann said:

And our cringing response was roundly criticised on here by many of us, including me.

Let's stop this ridiculous whataboutery: there are varieties of Islamic extremism - the Saudi-inspired variety, that sponsored by Iran, IS, the Shia lot, the Sunni lot, the lot in Nigeria, the other lot in Somalia, some other group in Yemen, the Al-this-that-and the other brigades - many varieties of those , Al Qaeda, Muslim Brotherhood etc etc and they all fight each other at various times and argue over who is the truer Muslim. It's the narcissism of small differences. It is utterly delusional to think that because Group A hates Group B, which we currently don't like, they are somehow on our side in anything other than a short-term "pact with the devil" sense.

And you know what? In the end what they all want is some ghastly Islamic state which utterly rejects the West and Western values and liberalism and democracy and freedom and tolerance. And there will be no space in this state of theirs - whether it is one big state or a load of smaller states - for any of these things or for anyone who does not subscribe to their view of Islam let alone for anyone who is not Muslim. And such an entity will be both unstable and aggressive - as places such as Saudi Arabia already are. And as history teaches us.

They are all in utter opposition to us. We should have no truck with them. Or as little as realpolitic will allow. We certainly should not be calling them our friends. And we certainly should not be inviting large numbers of people from the territory where these groups and their ideas were born and grow and develop into our countries.

• Options
    kle4 said:

Nice to see the old 'anyone who doesn't agree with me is a PB Tory' opinion being floated again. As Tories seem more prevalent around here the reverse 'anyone who doesn't agree with me is commie' isn't seen as much, as one cannot claim innocence at making the mistake as much, as it is implausible.

JWisemann said:

Indigo said:

JWisemann said:

JWisemann said:

Cyclefree said:

JWisemann said:

No they don't.

Certainly, myself included. Like many people I am instinctively quite critical of Israel. How that means organisations either fully or with military wings listed as terror organisations are not enemies of ours, I do not follow.
    If Hamas and Hezbollah are proscribed by the UK it is for political reasons, not because of any threat they represent to the UK.
  • Options
    JWisemann said:

Sean_F said:

Cyclefree said:

JWisemann said:

Cyclefree said:

JWisemann said:

No they don't.

You do realise that Israel have been a much greater threat to the Christians of Palestine than Hamas, thus far, right?
    Not really. The pressure on Christians to leave the West Bank doesn't come from Israel. And, there's probably nowhere in the Middle East where it's safer to be a Christian than within Israel proper.
  • Options
    Plato said:
    Quite hilarious? Is it intended? To refer to an atheist as Jesus? The second coming? Armageddon cannot be far behind.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    isam said:

isam said:

JackW said:

isam said:

JackW said:

isam said:

Poppycock.

They were killed by the British government because they posed "a direct threat" to British people including plotting "barbaric" attacks against commemorations in the UK this summer.

So says David Cameron
    Do some on the left assume that the PM always lies about these things, just because Blair did..?
    </ provocative >
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    JWisemann said:

Sean_F said:

Cyclefree said:

JWisemann said:

Cyclefree said:

JWisemann said:

No they don't.

Absolutely wrong. There has been ethnic cleaning from the Arab territories around Israel. The fact that there are still christians in the so called Palestinian territories is because Israel has put a stop to mass expulsion of christians living there. The Only country in the middle east where christians can live in peace is in Israel. Fancy that!!!
  • Options

isam said:

JackW said:

isam said:

JackW said:

isam said:

Poppycock.

If it were drone strikes on Finsbury Park Mosque then that would be civil war. These two went to join IS on foreign territory. They chose to enter a war zone, and put their lives at risk. Nice work by the RAF dronesters.
    They were killed because they were planning to kill members of the British public en masse out of allegiance to a religion that barely existed here 40 years ago, over their nationality which they actively despise
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    JWisemann said:

Sean_F said:

Cyclefree said:

JWisemann said:

Cyclefree said:

JWisemann said:

No they don't.

Nonsense. Christians are perfectly safe in Israel while heavily persecuted in Gaza by Hamas:

http://rescuechristians.org/christians-in-gaza-have-faced-increasing-persecution-since-hamas-wrested-control/
  • Options

And on the debate in the HOC's Hattie was just dreadful

To be fair, Hattie has been going through a rather difficult patch in her day job, so she's probably not on her best form.
    Hattie is being loyal to the party I suppose - she can't say one thing this week knowing that Corbyn is going to say the opposite next week.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

JWisemann said:

Sean_F said:

Cyclefree said:

JWisemann said:

Cyclefree said:

JWisemann said:

No they don't.

Not really. The pressure on Christians to leave the West Bank doesn't come from Israel. And, there's probably nowhere in the Middle East where it's safer to be a Christian than within Israel proper.
    I think Egypt is now become safe for non-Muslims again and both Jordan and Oman have reasonable records on minority rights.
  • Options

Plato said:
    Quite hilarious? Is it intended? To refer to an atheist as Jesus? The second coming? Armageddon cannot be far behind.
    To quote Jarvis Cocker, 'I am not Jesus, though I have the same initials'.
  • Options
    What we need are more drones..we have the gonads and lotsa targets...tine to stop f*cking about..
  • Options

MikeK said:

Actually Cammo should send all the 20,000 to Scotland. Sturgeon is panting to receive them, she said so on TV a couple of days ago. Perhaps she should house them in what remains of the Gorbals.

I'm sure Nicola Sturgeon, being the good egg she is will offer to take her 'fair' share.. :lol:
    Well if its based on available land area factored by all the off shore oil you own then that should be 19,000.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Cyclefree said:

TGOHF said:

JEO said:

JWisemann said:

And our cringing response was roundly criticised on here by many of us, including me.

Let's stop this ridiculous whataboutery: there are varieties of Islamic extremism - the Saudi-inspired variety, that sponsored by Iran, IS, the Shia lot, the Sunni lot, the lot in Nigeria, the other lot in Somalia, some other group in Yemen, the Al-this-that-and the other brigades - many varieties of those , Al Qaeda, Muslim Brotherhood etc etc and they all fight each other at various times and argue over who is the truer Muslim. It's the narcissism of small differences. It is utterly delusional to think that because Group A hates Group B, which we currently don't like, they are somehow on our side in anything other than a short-term "pact with the devil" sense.

And you know what? In the end what they all want is some ghastly Islamic state which utterly rejects the West and Western values and liberalism and democracy and freedom and tolerance. And there will be no space in this state of theirs - whether it is one big state or a load of smaller states - for any of these things or for anyone who does not subscribe to their view of Islam let alone for anyone who is not Muslim. And such an entity will be both unstable and aggressive - as places such as Saudi Arabia already are. And as history teaches us.

They are all in utter opposition to us. We should have no truck with them. Or as little as realpolitic will allow. We certainly should not be calling them our friends. And we certainly should not be inviting large numbers of people from the territory where these groups and their ideas were born and grow and develop into our countries.

You are a loon. Are you seriously suggesting there is no material difference to living in the totalitarian medieval hell of Saudi Arabia (current ally) / ISIS (former ally) and Iran or Lebanon under Hezbollah (official Eastasian enemies) Because you clearly have not the slightest hint of a clue beyond your tiny little fantasy world if so.
  • Options
    Now must watch Pointless.
  • Options
    Sky: stream of migrants marching up Serbian motorway to Hungarian border. Standoff with Hungarian police.

Hungarian defence minister resigns...
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Sean_F said:

JWisemann said:

Sean_F said:

Cyclefree said:

JWisemann said:

Cyclefree said:

JWisemann said:

No they don't.

I think Egypt is now become safe for non-Muslims again and both Jordan and Oman have reasonable records on minority rights.
    I got married in the Catholic Church in Dubai - there are a couple of dozen churches of various denominations here, on land gifted by the rulers to allow freedom to worship.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

isam said:

isam said:

JackW said:

isam said:

JackW said:

isam said:

Poppycock.

So says David Cameron
    Do some on the left assume that the PM always lies about these things, just because Blair did..?
    </ provocative >
    I don't assume that, I believe Cameron and am glad we have done it
  • Options

Plato said:
    "I'd like to make this water wine but it's impossible"
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

Sky: stream of migrants marching up Serbian motorway to Hungarian border. Standoff with Hungarian police.

It's almost like Merkels created a huge pull factor for all and sundry.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

JWisemann said:

Sean_F said:

Cyclefree said:

JWisemann said:

Cyclefree said:

JWisemann said:

No they don't.

Christians are not told by Israelis that the must convert or be killed or pay a special tax. It is not Israel which is demolishing ancient Christian monuments. And it is not Israel which announces that it is OK and indeed a religious duty to rape women of a different religion, as IS has sone. It is Islamic extremists who threaten the survival of Christianity in its ancient homelands - where it resided for at least 7 centuries before Islam turned up - not Israel.

• Options
    edited September 2015
    RodCrosby said:

Since Hungary has clearly lost control of it's border, and sovereignty, did he have a choice? Watch the chaos spread like a wildfire.

Merkel will go down in history, but not for the reasons she hopes for.
  • Options

JWisemann said:

Sean_F said:

Cyclefree said:

JWisemann said:

Cyclefree said:

JWisemann said:

No they don't.

Nonsense. Christians are perfectly safe in Israel while heavily persecuted in Gaza by Hamas:

http://rescuechristians.org/christians-in-gaza-have-faced-increasing-persecution-since-hamas-wrested-control/
    Did you actually check out that link you obviously quickly googled? It was obviously nonsense if you took even the slightest minute to read it. If you actually speak to any Christian Palestinians it won't take you long to find out who they consider the real threat to their way of life, and quick clue - it isn't Muslim Palestinians.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    isam said:

Sandpit said:

isam said:

isam said:

JackW said:

isam said:

JackW said:

isam said:

Poppycock.

So says David Cameron
    </ provocative >
    Agree entirely, my comment wasn't aimed at yourself.
    Hopefully every idiot who leaves the UK to join the Daesh now understands there's a very very real target on their back.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,595
    edited September 2015
    I had wondered how damaging Corbyn and his extreme views might be in practice, after all he might tone it down if elected Labour leader. But this afternoon's arguing shows that it doesn't matter, Corbyn's supporters will make the Labour Party unpalatable all on their own.

Labour really are up to their necks in it.
  • Options
    JWisemann said:

Cyclefree said:

TGOHF said:

JEO said:

JWisemann said:

You are a loon. Are you seriously suggesting there is no material difference to living in the totalitarian medieval hell of Saudi Arabia (current ally) / ISIS (former ally) and Iran or Lebanon under Hezbollah (official Eastasian enemies) Because you clearly have not the slightest hint of a clue beyond your tiny little fantasy world if so.
    Since you don't understand the use of the future tense and know nothing about Hamas, an organisation you describe as "an unpleasant lot", there is little point debating further with you.

• Options
    watford30 said:

RodCrosby said:

Since Hungary has clearly lost control of it's border, and sovereignty, did he have a choice?

Watch the fire spread.
    Given that Serbia is outside both the EU and Schengen, I'm surprised the border wasn't demarcated prior to last month.
  • Options
    Talk about an echo chamber - you have to realise that outside of the conservative clubs of Surrey, people don't give a crap about the Middle East and Israel and want as little to do with it as possible.
  • Options
    glw said:

I had wondered how damaging Corbyn and his extreme views might be in practice, after all he might tone it down if elected Labour leader. But this afternoon's arguing shows that it doesn't matter, Corbyn's supporters will make the Labour Party unpalatable all on their own.

Labour really are up to their necks in it.

Still five days to go!
  • Options
    Mr. Slackbladder, indeed, she's been a fool.

Bloody weird reading pb.com and hearing Cameron get the benefit of the doubt. And general praise for his immigration stance.
  • Options
    To all those attacking Corbyn for his association with Hamas and Hezbollah, you may wish to take a look at the list of anti-Assad militias operating (with our approval and support) in Syria. For just one example,

The Islamic Front:

Islamic Front leader Zahran Alloush gave a speech on the merits of Hajj in 2013 and praised Usama bin Laden, addressing him by the honorific "Sheikh" and the honorific "rahimahu Allah"...

Alloush gave a speech during Ramadan of 2013 attacking Shia whom he called "Rafidis" (الرافضة) and Alawites, whom he called "Nusayris" and the "Majus" (المجوس)(Zoroastrians), addressing them as "filthy" (الأنجاس) and saying that "the Mujahideen of Shaam will cleanse Shaam of the Filth of Rafidis & Rafidism, they will cleanse it for ever in sha Allah, till they will cleanse the land of Shaam of the filth of the Majoos (Fireworshippers) who fought the Religion of Allah the Almighty","the Shia are still despicable & pitiful though history", "And I give you the news, oh Filthy Rafidis: Just as Banu Umayya crushed your heads in the Past, the people of Ghouta & Shaam will crush them soon, They will make you taste a painful torment in this world, before Allah makes you taste it in the Hereafter, Oh you unclean Rafidis! You will collide into what you've never expected of Power from the Mujahideen of Islam"

I don't want to look any further to be honest, but you catch my drift. We're more than happy not just to work with genocidal Israel-haters when it suits, but to arm them and train them. We have already lain down with dogs, and we have caught the fleas.
  • Options
    JWisemann said:

Talk about an echo chamber - you have to realise that outside of the conservative clubs of Surrey, people don't give a crap about the Middle East and Israel and want as little to do with it as possible.

How extensive is your knowledge of 'conservative clubs of Surrey' and the views of their members on the Middle East and Israel, JW?
  • Options

Plato said:
    "I'd like to make this water wine but it's impossible"
    Well, there's always non-alcoholic beer :)
  • Options
    edited September 2015

watford30 said:

RodCrosby said:

Since Hungary has clearly lost control of it's border, and sovereignty, did he have a choice?

Watch the fire spread.
    Given that Serbia is outside both the EU and Schengen, I'm surprised the border wasn't demarcated prior to last month.
    Hence, his resignation.

Amazing isn't it, Europe's overwhelmed in the face of an 'unarmed invasion', and is completely incapable of dealing with it.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

isam said:

Sandpit said:

isam said:

isam said:

JackW said:

isam said:

JackW said:

isam said:

liberal elite.
    Poppycock.

So says David Cameron
    </ provocative >
    Agree entirely, my comment wasn't aimed at yourself.
    Hopefully every idiot who leaves the UK to join the Daesh now understands there's a very very real target on their back.
    But don't they believe in "martyrdom" anyway?
  • Options
    MikeK said:

JWisemann said:

Sean_F said:

Cyclefree said:

JWisemann said:

Cyclefree said:

JWisemann said:

No they don't.

Absolutely wrong. There has been ethnic cleaning from the Arab territories around Israel. The fact that there are still christians in the so called Palestinian territories is because Israel has put a stop to mass expulsion of christians living there. The Only country in the middle east where christians can live in peace is in Israel. Fancy that!!!
    It is now. Syria was before.
  • Options

What we need are more drones..we have the gonads and lotsa targets...tine to stop f*cking about..

We need more drones and we need more satellites and communications to control them and we need more intelligence assets like communications monitoring and we need more special forces. The requirements of our armed forces are changing.
  • Options

JWisemann said:

How extensive is your knowledge of 'conservative clubs of Surrey' and the views of their members on the Middle East and Israel, JW?
    As this is just a web instance of the above - same as here - pearl clutching and virtue signalling about official Eastasian enemies, whatabouttery and memory loss regarding our Eurasian allies, rampant hypocrisy and shire horse size blinkers all round.