Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » One year ago today we were given a reminder that opinion po

SystemSystem Posts: 11,698
edited September 2015 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » One year ago today we were given a reminder that opinion polls are a snapshot not a prediction

A year ago today The Sunday Times published a YouGov poll that had Yes ahead in the Scottish Independence referendum campaign. In the history of Politicalbetting.com no other opinion poll has generated quite so much comment and reaction.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,196
    First, like No/Leave.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,933
    edited September 2015
    Morning all, First..?damn, second.

I think more and more of us are coming to the opinion that the EU is a negative influence on the UK and becoming more so. It doesn't seem in the slightest bit capable of securing its own borders - surely the first priority of government anywhere - as their currency falls and their economy is the only region in the world still not recovered from the last recession. The attitude of their politicians is that the grand project is more important than even their own economies, which as they flounder need the UK to contribute even more to support their basket case of an economy.

I've moved from the wait-and-see column to a definite Leave in the past few months, despite having worked in the EU and elsewhere abroad for perhaps half of my working life. It's clear that there's no Status Quo and no Associate Membership on offer, so it's either full steam ahead or quit while we have the chance
  • Options
    Sorry, Sandpit - you deserve an honorary first. The consensus has been that the vote will take place in 2016 but I think 2017 is more likely.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    Sandpit, I assume you're in the UAE/Saudi. Given that the governments there are noticeably keeping their heads down re Syria refugees, do you have any feel for what locals think?
  • Options
    Regardless of the merits of both sides, I think it is easier for Remain to portray themselves as the status quo/low risk option and Leave to be portrayed as a jump into the unknown. So I suspect the polls will early on overestimate Leave and underestimate Remain.

Personally despite being on the side of Remain (though open to persuasion by events) I think it is stupid. Aside from geographical area the UK is a far more powerful and significant economy than the likes of Canada nobody would dream of suggesting that Canada needs to be a part of the USA to survive.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Regardless of the merits of both sides, I think it is easier for Remain to portray themselves as the status quo/low risk option and Leave to be portrayed as a jump into the unknown. So I suspect the polls will early on overestimate Leave and underestimate Remain.

Personally despite being on the side of Remain (though open to persuasion by events) I think it is stupid. Aside from geographical area the UK is a far more powerful and significant economy than the likes of Canada nobody would dream of suggesting that Canada needs to be a part of the USA to survive.

The big issue for me is that the last two years have proved:

(1) The Eurozone economy is broken and needs integration and fiscal transfers to make it work

(2) That the Eurozone is prepared to vote en bloc to get what they want

(3) That they are prepared to do things that are precisely targeted against the UK (I'm thinking of the FTT)

(4) That Schengen is broken; and

(5) Merkel has no compunction in throwing her weight around to try and impose her will on all EU member states

I can't see why it's in the UK's interests to remain in a dysfunction set-up like that.

It would be great to have a customs union/free trade zone. I could live with associate membership of some form. But we are big and ugly enough to thrive on our own. Bring it on!
  • Options

What Leave has going for it is the older voters breaking for it and they are more likely to vote. I suspect it will be the opposite of the Scottish Independence referendum - the lower the turnout the better it will be for Leave.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    edited September 2015
    Sandpit said:

I think more and more of us are coming to the opinion that the EU is a negative influence on the UK and becoming more so. It doesn't seem in the slightest bit capable of securing its own borders - surely the first priority of government anywhere - as their currency falls and their economy is the only region in the world still not recovered from the last recession. The attitude of their politicians is that the grand project is more important than even their own economies, which as they flounder need the UK to contribute even more to support their basket case of an economy.

I've moved from the wait-and-see column to a definite Leave in the past few months, despite having worked in the EU and elsewhere abroad for perhaps half of my working life. It's clear that there's no Status Quo and no Associate Membership on offer, so it's either full steam ahead or quit while we have the chance

I think the lack of a credible Associate Membership - i.e. the clear indications that the Euro area is simply going to make all the decisions regardless of the others' wishes or interests - has pushed me completely into the Leave category. Full membership is looking more and more like a long suicide.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763
    Charles said:

(1) The Eurozone economy is broken and needs integration and fiscal transfers to make it work

(3) That they are prepared to do things that are precisely targeted against the UK (I'm thinking of the FTT)

(5) Merkel has no compunction in throwing her weight around to try and impose her will on all EU member states

I can't see why it's in the UK's interests to remain in a dysfunction set-up like that.

It would be great to have a customs union/free trade zone. I could live with associate membership of some form. But we are big and ugly enough to thrive on our own. Bring it on!
    splutter

Carlos

I had you down as a firm remain.

• Options
    Two points pulling in separate directions:

1. 51/49 at the height of the refugee crisis is not a convincing lead and may indicate that once things settle down again - as they will - Remain has every opportunity to re-establish its lead.

2. Leave has the voting demographic: the elderly and the motivated. Throw in Corbyn Labour explicitly opposed to the deal Cameron negotiates and Remain has a real problem.

Overall, the chances of the UK leaving the EU and then breaking up are surely increasing. What a legacy for Dave and George.
  • Options
    For me I want either to Remain or Leave. An associate membership seems to me to be the worst of all worlds.

If we leave we should have the courage to leave and to trade with the EU in the same way as we trade with the USA. We should negotiate to have zero tariffs with the EU - not to be a part of the EFTA etc
  • Options

1. 51/49 at the height of the refugee crisis is not a convincing lead and may indicate that once things settle down again - as they will - Remain has every opportunity to re-establish its lead.

2. Leave has the voting demographic: the elderly and the motivated. Throw in Corbyn Labour explicitly opposed to the deal Cameron negotiates and Remain has a real problem.

Overall, the chances of the UK leaving the EU and then breaking up are surely increasing. What a legacy for Dave and George.

The expressed will of the people is a bad thing ?
  • Options
    MTimT said:

Sandpit said:

I think the lack of a credible Associate Membership - i.e. the clear indications that the Euro area is simply going to make all the decisions regardless of the others' wishes or interests - has pushed me completely into the Leave category. Full membership is looking more and more like a long suicide.
    It's the same problem as "remain in UK" has for the Scots. Your opponents can (and will) come back for another bite at the cherry.

Meanwhile referenda themselves undermind representative democracy as a concept. We no longer elect MPs to govern us, we elect them to do so except when they are too frightened to do so. And however much HM the Queen tells us to think carefully before we vote, many people will vote with the bile in their hearts.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,221
    Charles said:

I feel largely the same, though I think a lot of the top down/we know best/bureaucratic structures which so repel me are French.

But it's the direction of travel which bothers me. Remain is not remaining what it is now, which is hardly ideal, though I could probably live with it - just. It's remaining in an institution which wants to go in a direction which I think is (a) wrong for Europe; and (b) wrong for the UK.

While the UK's approach to the EU has been poor for a long time - poor in the sense that it joined too late, from a position of weakness, and has thereafter engaged too little and too late and in an alternately cringing and aggressive manner - there is a lack of good faith on the part of other countries e.g. refusing to take the UK's interests seriously and refusing to understand our perspective. An associate membership is probably best but since Cameron is not going for it it will have to be "Leave" - unless something changes.

If the UK does vote to leave, the jolt to the EU's amour propre will be huge, though. And things could be quite tough in the immediate aftermath. But we should have more self-confidence. I am sure the UK will thrive fine outside the EU. It's done so before and will do so again - provided we have the right leadership here.

And if the vote is to stay "In" but relatively close - much like with Scottish referendum - I don't see how that will settle things. A major country where nearly, say, half the population say they want to leave is not going to be happy and its membership is not going to be a stable one. So there will have to be changes from the EU in any event.
  • Options

MTimT said:

Sandpit said:

It's the same problem as "remain in UK" has for the Scots. Your opponents can (and will) come back for another bite at the cherry.

Meanwhile referenda themselves undermind representative democracy as a concept. We no longer elect MPs to govern us, we elect them to do so except when they are too frightened to do so. And however much HM the Queen tells us to think carefully before we vote, many people will vote with the bile in their hearts.
    Why would people who want to stay in need bile in their hearts to vote ?

Have they got some evil spite against their fellow citizens ?
  • Options

MTimT said:

Sandpit said:

In many nations Parliament determines the law, referenda determine the constitution. This way party temporary politics doesn't determine permanent constitutional change. We seem to be evolving into that principle - major constitutional changes take referenda, policies are for Parliament.

It is for this reason I'd oppose eg a referenda on the death penalty. This is a political issue not a constitutional one.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125

Agree on both of your points. the last sentence however just seems like sour grapes - pinning blame on 'Dave & George' if we do leave is not really fair. If it happens the fault lies largely with the mistakes particularly within the Commission whose incompetence and arrogance is at times quite breathtaking. In addition far too often Germany and France give the impression of running the show in the background and expecting the rest to meekly follow suit.

Regarding the poll - by far the most significant features are the strong support shown for Cameron's approach. A most welcome riposte from British public opinion after a week of ridiculous virtue signalling form the Media/FB/Twitter. Who'd have thought they could all have got it so wrong? On the Sky newspaper review this morning one of their idiot presenters rubbished the poll and kept saying 'right-thinking' people thought as he did. What an arrogant tw**! :)
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,360
    What I think polling like this might achieve is a determination to go further with the re-negotiation than might originally have been the case. I am also really looking for some form of associate membership as an ideal but I could live with some form of double majority requirement for EZ and non EZ countries provided it was wide enough to allow us to protect our national interests. Without that we have to leave.

I find it ironic that each crisis that should show how much we need a supranational organisation such as the migration issue and before that the credit crunch instead shows how dysfunctional and frankly useless the EU is, dominated by Germany who are very far from all knowing or wise.

My own thoughts are that if we could achieve a relationship with the EU modelled on what Switzerland has we should take it.
  • Options
    If the UK leaves then the EU that remains behind will be a very different beast. As much as we think it is French-dominated now, the French would be much more powerful in an EU without the UK.

If the UK stays in some sort of associate membership where we have to implement any EU rules then expect all those rules to be written by the French without our say so. If we are to leave, then lets leave and leave behind any ideas of saying the French without us would get anything right.
  • Options
    I'm always slightly dubious about PM biographies. Whilst Seldon's latest tome on Cameron has some interesting snippets, it seems far too early to be anything other than a facsimile of the truth.

However, I found the following interesting:
    In a face-to-face Downing Street showdown with the German chancellor, the Prime Minister said: ‘If there’s no deal, it’s not the end of the world; I’ll walk away from the EU.’
    Before the GE, I asked whether there was a chance that Cameron might officially remain neutral in the vote, or even recommend people vote to leave. If he did, how would both his party and the country respond?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3223773/Cameron-told-Merkel-Britain-walk-away-EU-Bombshell-new-biography-reveals-furious-German-leader-slammed-PM-hated-wrecker.html
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,060
    edited September 2015
    (Snip for dup)
  • Options

MTimT said:

Sandpit said:

In many nations Parliament determines the law, referenda determine the constitution. This way party temporary politics doesn't determine permanent constitutional change. We seem to be evolving into that principle - major constitutional changes take referenda, policies are for Parliament.

It is for this reason I'd oppose eg a referenda on the death penalty. This is a political issue not a constitutional one.
    Famously, the UK doesn't have a written constitution. Whether an independent Scotland would want one is an interesting question - one I suspect the SNP rather wasn't asked.

I would be happy with your position if I thought for one moment that I didn't need my PPE degree to understand it :)

• Options

MTimT said:

Sandpit said:

Why would people who want to stay in need bile in their hearts to vote ?

Have they got some evil spite against their fellow citizens ?
    You've turned my position round through 180 degrees.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,955
    edited September 2015

Not at all. I have no strong yearning to be in the EU. Its ruling elite is utterly contemptible. I just think it's noteworthy that neither Dave nor George want the UK to leave the EU or break-up, but that they are likely to preside over both.

It's interesting that Dave was in Madrid on Friday telling the Catalans that we are all better together and that if they secede from Spain they'll be out of the EU. I am surprised his comments got so little coverage over here as they certainly showed what he thinks about a possible Brexit.
  • Options
    matt said:

Sandpit, I assume you're in the UAE/Saudi. Given that the governments there are noticeably keeping their heads down re Syria refugees, do you have any feel for what locals think?

Hi Matt, you guess well from my name, I am in Dubai. The focus here is on the problems in Yemen rather than Syria, with the UAE and Saudi military actively involved (and taking casualties) to our South.

The GCC countries are very conservative when it comes to taking outsiders, I will never be Emirati and neither will my children even if they are born here. The Red Crescent (Red Cross in Muslim countries) and the government are certainly supporting the refugee camps in Syria itself.
  • Options

Not at all. I have no strong yearning to be in the EU. Its ruling elite is utterly contemptible. I just think it's interesting that neither Dave nor George want the UK to leave the EU or break-up, but that they are likely to preside over both.

It's interesting that Dave was in Madrid on Friday telling the Catalans that we are all better together and that if they secede from Spain they'll be out of the EU. I am surprised his comments got so little coverage over here as they certainly showed what he thinks about a possible Brexit.
    Indeed - although it is by no means certain that Mas's strategy in Catalonia is going to win the day. On Cameron and the EU I think there is frustration - instinctively he wants us to stay, but the nonsense we've seen over Greece and now migration is not making his task very easy. I suspect his views are not that far from the overall public opinion in the UK as a whole.
  • Options

Charles said:

splutter

Carlos

No - I've always been undecided. The current set up just about works for us, but it's the direction of change that worries me.
  • Options

I'm always slightly dubious about PM biographies. Whilst Seldon's latest tome on Cameron has some interesting snippets, it seems far too early to be anything other than a facsimile of the truth.

In a face-to-face Downing Street showdown with the German chancellor, the Prime Minister said: ‘If there’s no deal, it’s not the end of the world; I’ll walk away from the EU.’
    Before the GE, I asked whether there was a chance that Cameron might officially remain neutral in the vote, or even recommend people vote to leave. If he did, how would both his party and the country respond?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3223773/Cameron-told-Merkel-Britain-walk-away-EU-Bombshell-new-biography-reveals-furious-German-leader-slammed-PM-hated-wrecker.html

Well, the only way to get the best possible renegotiated terms is to be prepared to walk away. But everything I've seen Cameron do does not suggest to me that he is prepared to do that, which is why I'm doubtful that he will get the best terms he could. We'll see.

France may well be dominant in an EU without the UK - though I wonder whether that will be the case given how Germany is behaving. But an EU where a major country and one of its richest chooses to leave will have its self confidence shaken, and how that works itself out is an open question.

On Radio 4, there's some person talking about the migration crisis and blithely assuming that all the people coming here want to be like us and come here for our values. This may be true. But it does not seem to occur to him that this may not be true for all, that some may well want the economically better life but either do not want or do not appreciate that this better life comes from our different values. Nor does it occur to him that some of these people may just want to come here to continue their lives as Syrians in Sweden or wherever rather than turn into Swedes. Nor that if you get a very large number of people turning up with a very different culture, the chances of them absorbing the host country's culture, the pressures to do so are lower.

It's this naivety which, it seems to me, is behind much of the muddled thinking on the whole migration issue.

I'm afraid that I share AnneJGP's comment from the previous thread: "However uncharitable it may be, it seems Europe is getting to the point where pulling up the drawbridge is the only option if we want democracy to live on." It's not just democracy but Western civilization which may be at risk if we invite in very large numbers of people from very different civilizations without taking very clear and firm steps to turn them into Westerners.
  • Options

If the UK leaves then the EU that remains behind will be a very different beast. As much as we think it is French-dominated now, the French would be much more powerful in an EU without the UK.

If the UK stays in some sort of associate membership where we have to implement any EU rules then expect all those rules to be written by the French without our say so. If we are to leave, then lets leave and leave behind any ideas of saying the French without us would get anything right.

I don't think that the EU is French dominated at the moment. There is no question the dominant power is Germany. Some of this comes from their budget contributions, some from their clear economic success and some from Merkel's position as the EU's senior statesman.

But quite a lot comes from the fact that they can play the UK against the French in so many situations giving them a decisive roll. If we were not there to play the trouble maker and free trade protagonist I think the Germans will find it much harder to get their own way. Without the UK Germany, Austria, the Netherlands and the Nordic countries risk being regularly outvoted by the Latin grouping. They really won't want to run that risk if they can possibly help it.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Subsample signal?

SNP voters in favour of leaving.
  • Options

MTimT said:

Sandpit said:

That's good thinking about the difference between constitutional and political issues. Of course by tradition in the UK most 'moral' issues have been given a free vote by the whips, which is as it should be.
  • Options

MTimT said:

Sandpit said:

Famously, the UK doesn't have a written constitution. Whether an independent Scotland would want one is an interesting question - one I suspect the SNP rather wasn't asked.

I would be happy with your position if I thought for one moment that I didn't need my PPE degree to understand it :)

"Famously" is wrong.

We do have a written constitution (e.g. Blackwood, Bagehot, Erskine May, etc).

We just don't have a *codified* constitution
  • Options
    Good morning, everyone.

No word on Hamilton so, alas, it seems he starts on pole. Still, let's hope he leaves the handbrake on at the start.

My pre-race piece, with 2 or 5 tips, depending on your perspective, is here:
    http://enormo-haddock.blogspot.co.uk/2015/09/italy-pre-race.html
  • Options
    Charles said:

Well said @Charles. Your view is similar to mine, but you say it better than I do!
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Well, the only way to get the best possible renegotiated terms is to be prepared to walk away. But everything I've seen Cameron do does not suggest to me that he is prepared to do that, which is why I'm doubtful that he will get the best terms he could. We'll see.

To get a deal you need to be prepared both to walk away AND to get a deal. If you come across as not finding any deal good enough then you'll get nothing.

Plus Cameron can point to the country and say about a bad deal "not acceptable, the country won't vote for it."
  • Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

splutter

Carlos

No - I've always been undecided. The current set up just about works for us, but it's the direction of change that worries me.
    About 3 years ago I'd have been in the undecideds lets see the arguments camp.

Now i'm more towards out ; like you direction of travel is the single biggest factor.
  • Options
    Innocent_AbroadInnocent_Abroad Posts: 3,294
    edited September 2015
    Charles said:

MTimT said:

Sandpit said:

I think more and Associate Membership - i.e. the clear indications that the Euro area is simply going to make all the decisions regardless of the others' wishes or interests - has pushed me completely into the Leave category. Full membership is looking more and more like a long suicide.

"Famously" is wrong.

We do have a written constitution (e.g. Blackwood, Bagehot, Erskine May, etc).

We just don't have a *codified* constitution
    Well, if you're prepared ro privatize constitution writing, I suppose you're right. But I doubt that even any of the Republican candidates for President would want to privatize that.

• Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,894
    Cast adrift with a Tory government.

I think I'm going to be sick..........
  • Options

Good morning, everyone.

No word on Hamilton so, alas, it seems he starts on pole. Still, let's hope he leaves the handbrake on at the start.

My pre-race piece, with 2 or 5 tips, depending on your perspective, is here:
    http://enormo-haddock.blogspot.co.uk/2015/09/italy-pre-race.html

Morning Mr Dancer,

I was thinking the opposite way to you for the race, with Rosberg coming past the red cars who most likely had their engines turned up to 11 for qualifying in front of the home fans. The German powered cars also had higher speed trap numbers (221mph!) over the weekend, so the Ferraris could be sitting ducks with DRS for Rosberg and the Williams's behind.

We shall see who's right in six hours' time!
  • Options

Charles said:

Charles said:

splutter

Carlos

About 3 years ago I'd have been in the undecideds lets see the arguments camp.

Now i'm more towards out ; like you direction of travel is the single biggest factor.
    It is interesting that, even without our Kipper friends who seem to be having a long lie this morning, there is a fairly broad consensus on both the concerns and the consequences.

In really, really need Farage to screw things up for out.
  • Options
    Taking a straw poll in my local bar in the very small farming community where I live in North Italy the majority were in favour of Italy leaving the EU..and also think Cameron has played the migrant crisis absolutely right..Italy is of course being swamped in some areas by uncontrolled migrants landing on their shores... so that may have influenced them. .
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

(snip)

It's a very fine line for Cameron to tread: he needs to get the best deal he can for the UK without damaging the relationship between the countries. The referendum is only the first step: we still have to deal with the EU countries afterwards, whether we vote to remain in or leave.

It would be easy for him to come out of the negotiations with a deal that persuades the electorate to remain in, but with the other EU countries so peeved that the deal proves hard to enforce afterwards (in fact, that's a danger with this approach anyway). Likewise, he could be so intransigent that when no deal comes, and we vote to leave, and the EU feels no real need to be helpful towards us with regards to the splitting.

He has to show that he's prepared to walk away, but also that he's willing to be a faithful partner. That's difficult.
  • Options
    Roger is going to be sick.. he just has to lean over the balcony and he can do it in the Med
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    Roger said:

Roger Merkel has upset the left with her stance on Greece and upset the right regarding schengen and immigration.
    Leave can certainly be a big tent.
    Remain looks like the alamo for Blairites Cameroons and orange bookers.

• Options
    On topic:

4 months ago we were reminded that opinion polls can be a load of crap! Just saying.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Perhaps the previous Labour government should have done a better job for the UK within the EU. Skulking through the back door to sign the Lisbon Treaty wasn't exactly helpful.
  • Options
    Mr. Sandpit, worth noting Rosberg's got an engine 5-6 races old, whereas the Ferraris have upgraded engines. Also, the Ferraris have less mileage by some distance, and typically they've been bad at 'turning it up to 11' for qualifying.

There are two possibilities to pass Hamilton: off the line (if he has a properly bad start he'll be swamped), and getting a tow through somewhere or other (I forget which bit, but it can happen and the Ferrari drivers will do all they can).

Anyway, we shall see who's right (let's hope it's me :D ).
  • Options
    Mr. Jessop, which, of course, was after promising us a referendum on it.

Mr. Felix, indeed. I'm not that interested in this single poll. By itself, it doesn't mean much. If it's sustained across time/pollsters, then it becomes more interesting.
  • Options
    felix said:

On topic:

4 months ago we were reminded that opinion polls can be a load of crap! Just saying.

Yes but who is going to die in the ditch to save the UK from leaving the EU.

The SNP Blair Cameron and Clegg , with big business , banks.
    That will make a lot of people puke.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    edited September 2015
    "In the Sky newspaper review this morning one of their idiot presenters rubbished the poll and kept saying 'right-thinking' people thought as he did."

I think we all live in our own echo chamber to some extent. But I've been surprised by how negative some of the comments from my friends are. Sympathy for the drowned child but a big no to any further large scale immigration. And this is a constituency with a 20,000-plus Labour majority. The Labour politicians must be hearing the same; Mrs Duffy isn't a rarity.

I worry a little about how out of touch some of our media people are. They live in their own bubble and assume they are typical.

The EU is certainly attracting negative publicity too.
  • Options
    I lean towards leaving the EU. It's becoming increasingly clear to me that the main purpose of the EU is to entrench right-wing ideals like unrestricted movement of capital, the unrestricted selling off of British companies, race-to-the-floor taxation, VAT over income taxation, limits on tariffs, brain drain to tax-light domiciles etc.

My concerns is that if we leave the EU, we'll join the EFTA and get none of the positive social policies. Hopefully an EU referendum will ensure that there's also a referendum on any future similar agreements.
  • Options
    On the subject of EU direction of travel, I disagree with most here it seems in that to me the direction of travel is going in our direction. This is based on a few things.

Primarily the eurocrisis which many view as reinforcing the need for integration to me has reinforced national beliefs over European beliefs, not just amongst the national leaders but most especially amongst the electorate. Anecdotally since 2001 I've been debating with a Dutch friend who would make Ken Clarke look like Nigel Farage. Everything for over a decade was all about how Europe is the answer to everything and the only problem in Europe was Britain. However in recent years more and more he views himself Dutch and does not view himself as a compatriot of the Greeks especially.

I think the idea that a United States of Europe coming around where the Dutch, Germans and Greeks are all of the same nation is further away now than it was a few years ago.

Secondly the example of the budget where it wasn't just frozen but cut. Ideally should have gone much further too, but that was a Rubicon crossed in the right direction.

Finally any renegotiation that Cameron negotiates (so long as its not lipstick on a pig) should move the EU reforms in our direction too. It is an initiative for the first time in my memory of reform being led by the UK rather than us trying to block/seek opt-outs from it.
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

felix said:

On topic:

I agree - the EU is re-defining the word 'dysfunctional' these days. Out of touch and maybe out of time. If so then let the people decide. Democracy is still a good thing, thank heavens.
  • Options
    Mr. Oliver, that's an interesting angle.

If Out is to have a realistic prospect, it'll need those on the left and right, not just the right.

A splintered series of Out campaigns could have the advantage that Farage could focus on immigration, and others, more leftwing, could refer to the way Germany treated Greece.
  • Options
    Oliver_PB said:

I lean towards leaving the EU. It's becoming increasingly clear to me that the main purpose of the EU is to entrench right-wing ideals like unrestricted movement of capital, the unrestricted selling off of British companies, race-to-the-floor taxation, VAT over income taxation, limits on tariffs, brain drain to tax-light domiciles etc.

My concerns is that if we leave the EU, we'll join the EFTA and get none of the positive social policies. Hopefully an EU referendum will ensure that there's also a referendum on any future similar agreements.

Very amusing to see the Corbynistas moving towards the Kippers - if so there may be hope for the 'inners' yet.
  • Options
    felix said:

Oliver_PB said:

Very amusing to see the Corbynistas moving towards the Kippers - if so there may be hope for the 'inners' yet.
    I'm looking forward to see if someone can engineer Corbyn and Carswell sharing a stage for the Leave campaign - two men with absolutely nothing else in common except they don't like the EU (for completely different reasons, of course)!
  • Options
    Just read that Corbyn has condemned French President Hollande for being too right-wing and that he "hasn't felt sufficiently able to challenge austerity".

A few months ago we PB Tories were scathing Miliband by comparing him to Hollande and now Labour is about to elect a leader that thinks Hollande is too right wing? Seriously? Seriously!?

I seriously think and hope the UK would never do so.
  • Options
    felix said:

Oliver_PB said:

Well euroscepticism has traditionally been embraced more so by the Left than the Right - with Bennities notably anti-EU.
  • Options
    In recent years, the GBP have generally already had a negative view of the EU. I agree with @TheScreamingEagles. The NO side have the opportunity to win, but they must – foremost – put forward and argument which reassures the public that Britain will remain economically strong and competitive outside of the EU, with this posing no danger to their job security, opportunities or quality of life. Without this, I think YES will most likely sneak it. Tbh, given that most people reject a core central idea of the EU – freedom of movement, I think they should just vote ‘NO’ anyway.

As it is, I wouldn't read too much into that poll.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

To get a deal you need to be prepared both to walk away AND to get a deal. If you come across as not finding any deal good enough then you'll get nothing.

Plus Cameron can point to the country and say about a bad deal "not acceptable, the country won't vote for it."

Yes - agreed. It was implicit in what I was trying to say. But if Cameron gives the impression - as he appears to - that he wants the UK to stay in the EU regardless, then he's not going to get any sort of deal, good, bad or indifferent.

• Options
    Oliver_PBOliver_PB Posts: 397
    edited September 2015
    felix said:

Oliver_PB said:

Traditionally, the left were against the EU while the right were in favour.

Instead, the left ended up clinging to the idealism and the few retaining social policies right-wing governments couldn't erode, while the right got more than their "free market" wet dream, especially since they feel the right-wing policies are now so entrenched that they now see the EU as an irrelevant distraction to them ("TINA" and such nonsense).
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137
    edited September 2015
    Charles said:

A succinct summation of my own concerns. As things stand, I will vote No/Leave, given that now seems to be the path of least uncertainties. A country that has no effective means to stop millions coming into its borders has no effective means to plan its economy, on aspects of housing, education, health. That is to the great detriment of the existing 70 million in the UK. If the rest of the EU wants to cough and splutter that we don't want to honour the basic principle of free transit across the EU - well, we aren't the ones who have unilaterally changed the rules about who can now come to the EU.

That's what what Merkel has done - unilaterally rip up the EU rulebook. She might be responding to decades of guilt about her country's Nazi past, but that does not extend to breaking down and sobbing "let them all come in". I'm sorry, but you can't be called a refugee if you put your wife and children's life on the line fleeing from bad dentistry.
  • Options
    And the incompetence and dysfunction of EU simply reflects the wider incompetence and dysfunction seen in many governments throughout the West.
  • Options
    Oliver_PBOliver_PB Posts: 397
    edited September 2015

A country that has no effective means to stop millions coming into its borders has no effective means to plan its economy

I'm just glad the concept of planned economies is getting a resurgence.
  • Options

felix said:

Oliver_PB said:

Well euroscepticism has traditionally been embraced more so by the Left than the Right - with Bennities notably anti-EU.
    Quite. In the 1975 referendum the Conservatives were more in favour and Labour more against, seeing the 'common market' as a big-business stitch-up. The change came with the Maastricht and Lisbon Treaties, whereby more emphasis was placed on social as well as economic harmonisation, of which Labour were broadly in favour and Conservatives broadly against.

The last couple of years' of seem to have left only the big business and metropolitan liberals in favour, with a large number against from both left and right of the political spectrum.
  • Options
    Oliver_PB said:

A country that has no effective means to stop millions coming into its borders has no effective means to plan its economy

I'm just glad the concept of planned economies is getting a resurgence.
    Somehow, I don't think those on the Right see it that way!
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

felix said:

Oliver_PB said:

Quite. In the 1975 referendum the Conservatives were more in favour and Labour more against, seeing the 'common market' as a big-business stitch-up. The change came with the Maastricht and Lisbon Treaties, whereby more emphasis was placed on social as well as economic harmonisation, of which Labour were broadly in favour and Conservatives broadly against.

The last couple of years' of seem to have left only the big business and metropolitan liberals in favour, with a large number against from both left and right of the political spectrum.
    Yep - big business because of the advantages they gain from freedom of movement, and metropolitan liberals at times have turned a blind eye to the poor governance and hypocrisy of the EU political elite. They have confused being Pro-EU with being Pro-European.
  • Options

I'm sorry, but you can't be called a refugee if you put your wife and children's life on the line fleeing from bad dentistry.

You call having all your teeth pulled out by ISIS "bad dentistry"?

You'd do well to drop such ludicrous language if you don't want to put off anyone with common decency not just the "right on" crowd.
  • Options
    felix said:

On topic:

True. The percentage of people wanting to leave could be considerably higher than 51%.

• Options
    Miss Jones, or much lower. And desire only matters if the people feeling it are actually going to vote for it.
  • Options
    felix said:

Yorkcity said:

felix said:

On topic:

I agree - the EU is re-defining the word 'dysfunctional' these days. Out of touch and maybe out of time. If so then let the people decide. Democracy is still a good thing, thank heavens.
    Referenda is not the usual way in the past for the UK.
    Usually used when the Government of the day can not make a decision as in 1975.
    However it always now seems to be used for Constitutional
    Change, such as devolution.

Blair might have won a referndum on joining the euro in 97 to 98.
    So not a good thing.

Representative democracy is preferable in my opinion in most instances.
    As MP`s can use their own judgement in the exercise of their powers, even if their views are not reflective of a majority of voters at that time.
    This certainy happened to stop Blair with the Euro.
  • Options

Just read that Corbyn has condemned French President Hollande for being too right-wing and that he "hasn't felt sufficiently able to challenge austerity".
    A few months ago we PB Tories were scathing Miliband by comparing him to Hollande and now Labour is about to elect a leader that thinks Hollande is too right wing? Seriously? Seriously!?
    I seriously think and hope the UK would never do so.

No stopping Labour's suicide election.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    I was someone who was going to vote yes 100% but that has changed in the last few months. I am getting rather fed up of the Franco German stich up and its about time they listened to us rather than we listen to them.

I'll still probably vote yes because some of the BOO'ers are nigh on racist and that's not a good thing to be basing our membership on..
  • Options
    "We can't achieve Associated Member status of the EU, because that is not on offer in the referendum".

Truly absurd.

If out wins, the UK gives two years of notice to quit. During that time, compromises will be reached, driven by commercial interests.

And we will finish up with.....some sort of associated status.
  • Options

"We can't achieve Associated Member status of the EU, because that is not on offer in the referendum".

Truly absurd.

If out wins, the UK gives two years of notice to quit. During that time, compromises will be reached, driven by commercial interests.

Which, per the precedent of the EU referendum, should go to referendum.
  • Options
    I agree with Charles points below. Leaving the EC makes more sense each day. But I expect a Remain vote and we will watch the EC fall apart as a member. Locked to a corpse.
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

felix said:

Yorkcity said:

felix said:

On topic:

So not a good thing.

As MP`s can use their own judgement in the exercise of their powers, even if their views are not reflective of a majority of voters at that time.
    Blair would definitely have won a three-line-whip vote to join the euro in 97 or 98. It was the perceived need for a referenda which prevented us from joining the euro ultimately, so a very good thing.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,953
    Similar to others downthread, I'm increasing leaning toward out - the EU in current incarnation cannot point to stability, entrenched institutions or any degree of economic success. Why they had to ruin a perfectly good customs union that would have been enough to stop wars, I'll never know.

• Options
    Interesting that both The Mail and a telegraph are running this story, almost as a shot across the bows to Cameron. Great news to us devout outers, it's unfortunate but the scenes across Europe this week are hardening our case all the time.

Right or wrong immigration fatigue is setting in, according to the poll across the country with the exception of London, people have had enough.

I'm hoping that Geldof's council write to him asking him to house some people on the waiting list until the Syrians arrive.
  • Options
    Mr. Root, beware opposing someone on everything just because you oppose them on something important. Fools can be right, and the wise can err. Make your judgement based on what you think is right, not on who agrees with you or who does not. The decision is about the UK and EU, not about which side has the more pleasant supporters.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited September 2015
    Morning all.

A poll is a snap-shot, not a prediction, it’s only one poll and a Survation one at that - But what a cracking bunch of numbers for the Tea leaves.

Off Topic - when did Merkel become Jo Brand's twin...!
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

Truly absurd.

Whilst that may happen, it may well not. A vote to leave should be treated as a vote to leave totally. Trying to promise associated status with the EU will be a similar farce to the SNP's laughable Sterling union.

It will be a close-ish vote when it comes. Though being either in or out will make little difference to the migrant crisis.
  • Options
    edited September 2015

Mr. Root, beware opposing someone on everything just because you oppose them on something important. Fools can be right, and the wise can err. Make your judgement based on what you think is right, not on who agrees with you or who does not. The decision is about the UK and EU, not about which side has the more pleasant supporters.

Its also about the risk of such people getting control. You think it can never happen, it has in the past.... try 1933 for an example..
  • Options

Yorkcity said:

felix said:

Yorkcity said:

felix said:

On topic:

So not a good thing.

Blair would definitely have won a three-line-whip vote to join the euro in 97 or 98. It was the perceived need for a referenda which prevented us from joining the euro ultimately, so a very good thing.
    I disagree
    Brown and Ed Balls stopped Blair, he would never have got that through the at that time, without the support of the chancellor.
    Blairs only hope was a referndum.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137

I'm sorry, but you can't be called a refugee if you put your wife and children's life on the line fleeing from bad dentistry.

You'd do well to drop such ludicrous language if you don't want to put off anyone with common decency not just the "right on" crowd.
    You clearly didn't catch up with the reason the guy left Bodrum on little more than a lilo to cross into the EU - he wanted to get his teeth fixed. That was his reason for leaving the flat they had in Istanbul. His sister in Canada told us this.

He was in no jeopardy from ISIS whatsoever.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,894
    Doddy

"Taking a straw poll in my local bar in the very small farming community where I live in North Italy the majority were in favour of Italy leaving the EU..and also think Cameron has played the migrant crisis absolutely right."

So in the bar where you spend your time they want ALL mmigrants out.......

Present company excepted of course
  • Options
    Mr. Root, leaving the EU would not elect a single fascist to the House of Commons.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    edited September 2015

I was someone who was going to vote yes 100% but that has changed in the last few months. I am getting rather fed up of the Franco German stich up and its about time they listened to us rather than we listen to them.

I'll still probably vote yes because some of the BOO'ers are nigh on racist and that's not a good thing to be basing our membership on..

I'd urge you not to reject BOO simply because (as it has to be) it's a broad church. Yes, I'm sure some people want out to get away from the nasty furriners, but both the direction of travel and the EU's current performance on the fundamentals (economic, defence, borders) is worrying and very, very poor.

I'm right of centre, and I've had to hold my nose and vote conservative despite it being home to a fair few homophobes/transphobes. The Innies have racists, homophobes and anti-semites too; you must know that!
  • Options
    david_kendrick1david_kendrick1 Posts: 325
    edited September 2015

Truly absurd.

Whilst that may happen, it may well not. A vote to leave should be treated as a vote to leave totally. Trying to promise associated status with the EU will be a similar farce to the SNP's laughable Sterling union.

It will be a close-ish vote when it comes. Though being either in or out will make little difference to the migrant crisis.

Out is not, and should not, be promising any sort of formal "Associated Member Status". But the compromises---probably led by the big German car companies---will produce trading agreements which will leave us in an equivalent position.

Can Out 'promise' what exactly what these agreements will be? Obviously not. But, equally obviously, they will be put in place.
  • Options

You clearly didn't catch up with the reason the guy left Bodrum on little more than a lilo to cross into the EU - he wanted to get his teeth fixed. That was his reason for leaving the flat they had in Istanbul. His sister in Canada told us this.

He was in no jeopardy from ISIS whatsoever.
    You clearly didn't catch up with the reason the guy who left Bodrum wanted to get his teeth fixed. His teeth weren't "bad dentistry" they were pulled out by ISIS. If you consider torturing people by pulling all their teeth out "bad dentistry" then you're one sick animal.
  • Options
    John_M said:

I'd urge you not to reject BOO simply because (as it has to be) it's a broad church.

I'm right of centre, and I've had to hold my nose and vote conservative despite it being home to a fair few homophobes/transphobes. The Innies have racists, homophobes and anti-semites too; you must know that!
    If we voted out... the racists would start of on their next mantra.. repatriation. Its there for all to see if only their eyes were open. That's why I am most likely to vote yes..
  • Options
    ...Further to my local straw poll in the Italian bar..everyone thought the drowned family,s father was a criminal..and that was the mildest comment..no sympathy whatsoever for his actions.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Looks like we are going to have "refugees welcome" banners at some of next weeks football matches. The Villa fans are apparently bringing one to Leicester City 1600 on Sunday.

The Leicester fan boards are as ambivalent as the rest of the country on refugees, but really hate the Villa. It may provoke an interesting response.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/sep/03/english-football-supporters-groups-refugees-welcome-banners
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    ''Right or wrong immigration fatigue is setting in, according to the poll across the country with the exception of London, people have had enough.''

I think people are still very happy to welcome well qualified, hard working immigrants of whatever colour or creed.
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

Yorkcity said:

felix said:

Yorkcity said:

felix said:

On topic:

So not a good thing.

I disagree
    Brown and Ed Balls stopped Blair, he would never have got that through the at that time, without the support of the chancellor.
    Blairs only hope was a referndum.
    I disagree. He would never have gotten this through Parliament without the support of his Chancellor anymore than he would have won a referendum. In order to have a referendum you need to first get the backing of Parliament anyway. Brown and Balls may have been easier to persuade if all it took was an Act of Parliament (like Brown signed Lisbon with) rather than a referendum.
  • Options

John_M said:

I'd urge you not to reject BOO simply because (as it has to be) it's a broad church.

If we voted out... the racists would start of on their next mantra.. repatriation. Its there for all to see if only their eyes were open. That's why I am most likely to vote yes..
    No they wouldn't. That is just scare mongering of the worst kind. I know you are a long term Europhile but it is sad to see you resorting to such ludicrous and unfounded smears. Mind you the IN side have pretty much nothing else in their armoury but smear and scare tactics.
  • Options

Right or wrong immigration fatigue is setting in, according to the poll across the country with the exception of London, people have had enough.

That might have to do with the fact that swathes of London is majority immigrants (as in, born abroad - I'm not talking about descendants of past immigrants of course). London is an alien place to the rest of England.
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

He certainly didn't think so.

• Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    edited September 2015
    Root.. It would still be a country where we needed immigrants,but the productive sort..where we control the who, what and where from...not the EU.
  • Options

John_M said:

And who are these racists?