Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Undefined discussion subject.

SystemSystem Posts: 11,686
edited August 2015 in General

Comments

• Options
    blackburn63blackburn63 Posts: 4,492
    First?
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    edited August 2015
    Second.
  • Options
    blackburn63blackburn63 Posts: 4,492
    Ooooh a warm feeling going into the weekend, first in a thread.

Although I'm not a supporter I'm grateful to Labour for livening up a pretty moribund political scene and engaging plenty of people.
  • Options
    This is the liveliest PB summer I can recall - thanx Labour

Although I'm not a supporter I'm grateful to Labour for livening up a pretty moribund political scene and engaging plenty of people.

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,987
    FPT: Mr. Dair, incorrect. Extras also got double figures in both Australian innings.

What sort of silly man could possibly have dreamt up such a leadership electoral system? :p
  • Options
    Here are the latest leadership odds. http://www.oddschecker.com/politics/british-politics/next-labour-leader Given that these figures which will grow further, I would put Corbyn's chances at closer to 4/5. I think there's some good prices still out there.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited August 2015
    'That number is likely to rise still further'

Has another Union come out in favour of Jeremy Corbyn then... :lol:
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,264

It's definitely fun to watch as an abstract exercise.

It becomes a lot less fun when you consider how it showcases the abysmal quality of Labour talent on offer at a time when we could do with a strong, confident and well-organised opposition to hold the government to account.
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    As a £3 supporter I will be voting Cooper as my first preference (formerly Liz)

I'm unsure whether I prefer a tepid failure under Burnham or the possibility of cataclysm and rebirth under Corbyn, so not sure about my other preferences.
  • Options
    Incidentally, don't know whether somebody has already posted this but I found it quite interesting, even allowing for who wrote it:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/labour/11762773/Ive-lived-under-Jeremy-Corbyns-rule-it-turned-me-into-a-Tory.html

Bearing in mind this was his sole practical experience of administration...
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    And of course we can look forward to the added entertainment of the recriminations when the result comes in. If it's a Corbyn win (and even if it isn't) we can expect lots of stories about how entryists, infiltrators and just plain traitors signed up to skew the result, thereby undermining the legitimacy of the victor and making the already Herculean task of re-uniting the party even harder.

As self-inflicted political wounds go, this contest is a humdinger.
  • Options
    Every day that goes by with stories about people joining just to vote for Corbyn it's effectively free advertising for his campaign to do the same. I think there's about 4 days to go of recruiting. I just can't see the others keeping pace.

• Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108
    WTF

Interview on BBC, some chav mother with a blurred faced kid. "Camilla paid for her to go to private school, that's £35k a year".

WTF

Also it appears that most of the "kids" this charity helps are actually late teens and early twenties. Do people realise the charity is misnamed when they donate?

WTF
  • Options
    Mr. Dair, that does seem... unexpected.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Dair said:

WTF

Interview on BBC, some chav mother with a blurred faced kid. "Camilla paid for her to go to private school, that's £35k a year".

WTF

Also it appears that most of the "kids" this charity helps are actually late teens and early twenties. Do people realise the charity is misnamed when they donate?

WTF

Jesus H Christ.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930
    There is the ever so important consideration of who should be the UKIP candidate for the London Mayoralty

Suzanne Evans has thrown her hat into the ring, but I would plump for Peter Whittle... I met both when campaigning for Carswell last year and both seem nice people, but I thought Whittle more impressive and he also lives in London and stood in a London seat.

He writes quite well in Standpoint magazine too

http://www.standpointmag.co.uk/writers/?showid=Peter Whittle
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Article by John McTernan — (the Labour spin doctor who's called for Corbyn to be deposed if elected):

"Politicians failed Kids Company

Ministers were right to defend the charity, but they should also have taken responsibility for making it work"

http://www.prospectmagazine.co.uk/blogs/prospector-blog/politicians-failed-kids-company
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Dair said:

WTF

WTF

WTF

That is astonishing.

It's only very slightly less astonishing if it was to top up a scholarship place.

It's only acceptable if it was done from her private account as an act of personal charity. Otherwise, that would be misuse of charity funds, which were solicited on a different basis.
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    isam said:

There is the ever so important consideration of who should be the UKIP candidate for the London Mayoralty

Suzanne Evans has thrown her hat into the ring, but I would plump for Peter Whittle... I met both when campaigning for Carswell last year and both seem nice people, but I thought Whittle more impressive and he also lives in London and stood in a London seat.

Oh, UKIP are still a thing?
  • Options
    edited August 2015

Every day that goes by with stories about people joining just to vote for Corbyn it's effectively free advertising for his campaign to do the same. I think there's about 4 days to go of recruiting. I just can't see the others keeping pace.

Quite agree Mr Manson – As an experiment the other day I typed Jeremy Corbyn into ‘Twitter Search’ to get a feel for the Corbynites mood. – They’re a very busy enthusiastic bunch. Odd to see them compare everyone to the right of Jeremy as a Tory, which includes all 3 other leadership contenders and the Guardian when they’ve not been nice to him. – Whoever wins had better learn to ride two horses at once.
  • Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108
    ydoethur said:

Dair said:

WTF

WTF

WTF

That is astonishing.

It's only very slightly less astonishing if it was to top up a scholarship place.

It's only acceptable if it was done from her private account as an act of personal charity. Otherwise, that would be misuse of charity funds, which were solicited on a different basis.
    The whole thing seems like a very smoke and mirrors operation.

The very fact that it dealt with clients in their twenties should be have seen the Charities Commission step in because it was clearly raising funds under false pretences.

Specifically about the kid being paid to go to private school, I think we can be pretty certain that "Camilla paid" means Kids Company paid. Werdly the justification the mother gave for why her kid should go to private school was that the kid had been the victim of domestic violence. I'm not sure how that squares with needing a private school. In any case, if the kid has been at the school for over a year, she should end up on an assisted place and not get kicked out anyway.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    I'm thinking the later pb Tories leave it to join the Labour Party, the less chance there is for Labour to find them out? Last Minute Tories 4 Corbyn.....
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Remember tha many constituencies in Scotland increased their electorate for 2015. North and Leith top of the chart so far as I can recall.

Tends to favour change candidates/surgers.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    And now Nevill goes...

I would ask if Australia are Bangladesh in disguise, but that would be unfair. Bangladesh have some good batsmen these days.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

And now Nevill goes...

I would ask if Australia are Bangladesh in disguise, but that would be unfair. Bangladesh have some good batsmen these days.

Oh no - no-ball. Second wicket off a no ball today!
  • Options
    Is there some reason why umpires these days can't call no balls without a replay?
  • Options
    These are the sort of errors that may well cost us against Pakistan in the UAE. Will be tougher than this gig I think.
  • Options
    JEOJEO Posts: 3,656
    Freggles said:

isam said:

They've only dropped off three points from the election and we have five hard years of government ahead of us. Our shock majority at the election meant people have not looked long term: UKIP went from 3% to 13% and cost us a working majority. For fellow Conservatives to stick their heads in the sand to the damage UKIP has already cost us, and the greater damage they could do to us next time is utter complacency.
  • Options
    Freggles said:

isam said:

Oh, you!
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Is there some reason why umpires these days can't call no balls without a replay?

I'd guess that they don't bother to watch for them now they have the right to check when it actually matters (i.e. when a wicket falls).

I did a bit of umpiring when I was a student in uni matches, and it's hard work checking the front foot and instantly flicking your head to the far end. Even if it's wrong, I can understand if test umpires take an easy option.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,898
    Pulpstar said:

These are the sort of errors that may well cost us against Pakistan in the UAE. Will be tougher than this gig I think.

Don't say that - I'll be watching the Test in Dubai in October, and would quite like it to play out a bit like the last couple of days. Please.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    ydoethur said:

AndyJS said:

I'd guess that they don't bother to watch for them now they have the right to check when it actually matters (i.e. when a wicket falls).

I did a bit of umpiring when I was a student in uni matches, and it's hard work checking the front foot and instantly flicking your head to the far end. Even if it's wrong, I can understand if test umpires take an easy option.
    I've done a lot of umpiring (at the lowest possible level) and it is difficult to watch the foot and the ball, but they ought to explicitly change the rules to say the umpire concentrates on the ball rather than the front foot if that is what is happening in practice.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

Don't say that - I'll be watching the Test in Dubai in October, and would quite like it to play out a bit like the last couple of days. Please.
    Pakistan are not an easy side to beat. Unless one of Rashid or Kerrigan emerges as a match-winning spinner, I don't candidly fancy our chances of winning. But there, what do I know? I thought England were unwise to bowl first...

Hope you enjoy your trip though.
  • Options
    From the Independent today on the Corbyn volunteers:

'A few days later I visit the London office space that the Unite union has lent to the campaign. The room is abuzz, and can barely handle the number of volunteers, with about two or three made to share each desk. I speak to Will Armston-Sheret, a 20-year-old student, who has been volunteering since day one and has since become unofficial head of data. "When I joined there were four," he says. "Now we have over 7,000 people signed up."

Much of the work involves setting up new offices across the country. There are 10 regional officers – all volunteers – and each has set up at least one phone bank in their area, some several. At each office, volunteers come in – some offices are open seven days a week – to phone Labour party members and urge them to register so they can vote for Corbyn when ballot papers go out on 14 August. At one point, I'm told, there was a new phone bank being established every day.'

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/labour-leadership-race-how-has-jeremy-corbyn-galvanised-so-many-people--both-young-and-old-10444194.html

I just don't think Burnham's team have this infrastructure. Cooper's do but not the scale. Mind, I think the article has it wrong about ringing members to register - they'll already be registered. I imagine they'll be ringing up members to persuade them to vote Corbyn and/or ringing people who have shown support to get them registered to vote.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

ydoethur said:

AndyJS said:

I've done a lot of umpiring (at the lowest possible level) and it is difficult to watch the foot and the ball, but they ought to explicitly change the rules to say the umpire concentrates on the ball rather than the front foot if that is what is happening in practice.
    Yes - and they should have done it years ago. The Third Umpire can call a no-ball on a camera view and that will give them something to do for 97% of the match.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,311
    I think the leadership debate is most entertaingly followed on CiF; no better example of Lab talking to itself.

It is such a comfortable environment there. Plus a lot "last week my auntie rejoined the labour party after 20 years as she feels it is now talking to her."
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

AndyJS said:

Yes, it's difficult to call a marginal NB in real time, especially at the speed these guys run in. Better to use the replay when there's a wicket if there's any uncertainty, just to double check that you didn't give the benefit of the doubt to the bowler in error.
  • Options

'A few days later I visit the London office space that the Unite union has lent to the campaign. The room is abuzz, and can barely handle the number of volunteers, with about two or three made to share each desk. I speak to Will Armston-Sheret, a 20-year-old student, who has been volunteering since day one and has since become unofficial head of data. "When I joined there were four," he says. "Now we have over 7,000 people signed up."

Much of the work involves setting up new offices across the country. There are 10 regional officers – all volunteers – and each has set up at least one phone bank in their area, some several. At each office, volunteers come in – some offices are open seven days a week – to phone Labour party members and urge them to register so they can vote for Corbyn when ballot papers go out on 14 August. At one point, I'm told, there was a new phone bank being established every day.'

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/labour-leadership-race-how-has-jeremy-corbyn-galvanised-so-many-people--both-young-and-old-10444194.html

I just don't think Burnham's team have this infrastructure. Cooper's do but not the scale. Mind, I think the article has it wrong about ringing members to register - they'll already be registered. I imagine they'll be ringing up members to persuade them to vote Corbyn and/or ringing people who have shown support to get them registered to vote.

..and you get the chance to speak to Owen Jones!
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

AndyJS said:

Yes, it's difficult to call a marginal NB in real time, especially at the speed these guys run in. Better to use the replay when there's a wicket if there's any uncertainty, just to double check that you didn't give the benefit of the doubt to the bowler in error.
    Should be a run to the batting side though, every time... they are the ones losing out.

If the umps aren't looking then just officially leave it to the 3rd ump at all times
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

AndyJS said:

Of course, you could use some kind of laser technology. If the beam breaks, it's good. If not, it's a NB. It wouldn't be difficult, and it shouldn't cause a problem on something the size of a cricket field. But that would be quite expensive.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    Incidentally I think I'm going to be backing Zac on Betfair soon.

Odds of 2/1 + seem about right if Burnham or Cooper leads the national party. I think it should be a little longer for Jowell and a little longer for Khan, but not much. On the other hand it is considerably too long for Corbyn, regardless of the candidate, and too long for Abbott.
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100

I'm amazed, Corbyn's campaign can only be compared in size with a serious american presidential contender.
  • Options
    Just what I was thinking. It's astonishing.
    Speedy said:

I'm amazed, Corbyn's campaign can only be compared in size with a serious american presidential contender.
  • Options
    JEOJEO Posts: 3,656
    Speedy said:

Whatever you think about Corbyn, its great that the open primary has reinvigorated politics.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,031
    isam said:

Freggles said:

isam said:

Oh, you!
    As a matter of interest Sam, as an ex-Labour supporting UKIPper, would you be more likely to vote for a Corbyn-led Labour party, or less?

His views on immigration are perhaps not what you would like, but does anything else he has to say appeal to you?
  • Options
    Speedy said:

The scale of that operation looks like what Lab or Con were doing around the GE.
    Are there spending limits for this election, and as was mentioned in a header a few days ago, are we all ignoring the evidence that this is going to be a big win for Jeremy Corbyn?
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Varro had the numbers at Cannae too.

Not saying Corbyn will definitely lose, just that the system won't help him because he's unlikely to garner that many second preferences (according to the polling).

Edited extra bit: for the record, I'd make Corbyn marginal favourite.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    isam said:

Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

AndyJS said:

Should be a run to the batting side though, every time... they are the ones losing out.

If the umps aren't looking then just officially leave it to the 3rd ump at all times
    Agreed, the first one today was at most only a couple of mm over the line, would probably have been given out if there was no replay to check. There also wasn't much line left on the ground to look at - the 3rd ump having a much better view from side on.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Another reason why the Conservatives should be slightly wary of him.
  • Options
    JEO said:

Speedy said:

Whatever you think about Corbyn, its great that the open primary has reinvigorated politics.
    If it has. The referendum galvanised voters in Scotland - but even after the SNP were defeated, they were still there and could still be voted for. When Corbyn is defeated - either by the Labour electorate or the wider electorate - might any non-voters galvanised to vote for him just conclude that they were wasting their time and drift away again?
  • Options
    Suggestion on TMS - remove the square leg umpire (who doesn't now do much, as the 3rd umpire is the point of appeal for run outs, lbws, stumpings etc) and have them just checking for no balls instead.

That makes sense to me, actually, in Tests at least.
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    Plato said:

Just what I was thinking. It's astonishing.

Speedy said:

However having a good ground campaign can be deceptive, though Corbyn is the only one that has one at the moment:

http://www.progressonline.org.uk/2015/05/26/we-need-to-talk-about-labours-ground-campaign/
  • Options
    Mr. Jessop, true, but it also might mean soft left/right chaps who don't want to embrace socialism might flock to (or stick with) the Conservatives rather than flirting with the Greens, UKIP and other minor parties.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,311
    edited August 2015
    ydoethur said:

JEO said:

Speedy said:

If it has. The referendum galvanised voters in Scotland - but even after the SNP were defeated, they were still there and could still be voted for. When Corbyn is defeated - either by the Labour electorate or the wider electorate - might any non-voters galvanised to vote for him just conclude that they were wasting their time and drift away again?
    The challenge, for me (and Jezza), is to turn a non-voter into a voter. The clue is in the name.

Can there be this huge chunk of the electorate which holds the following view:
    EdM is not left wing enough, I would rather see a Cons govt than one where I have a Tory-lite Lab.
    That is an extreme, complicated and nuanced political position to hold. I doubt there are the numbers there for Jezza who hold it.
  • Options

isam said:

Freggles said:

isam said:

Oh, you!
    As a matter of interest Sam, as an ex-Labour supporting UKIPper, would you be more likely to vote for a Corbyn-led Labour party, or less?

His views on immigration are perhaps not what you would like, but does anything else he has to say appeal to you?
    I wouldn't vote for Labour under any of the 4 candidates leadership, but I probably like Corbyn the best as he seems to believe in something other than power for powers sake

His genuine opposition to the Iraq war and support of nuclear disarmament definitely appeal, and I certainly don't consider people that are not produced on the assembly line of modern politics odd just because they dare say something different from what post 1997 govts say

I can empathise with the rough treatment he gets from centrists because of that, the same as UKIP get. The C4 interview about Hamas "friends" was particularly ridiculous.

I guess I would be marginally more inclined to vote Labour if he was leader than I would if any of the other three were, as they are basically Cameroons, but its like 0.1/10 rather than 0/10

His immigration policy would prob be the same as Cameron's only Corbyn wouldn't pretend not to like it

• Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,251
    Hmm. These registration figures are a worry for us Cooper betters. I'm thinking most of them have joined to vote Corbyn 1, but what about 2nd prefs.

Complete madness by Labour. Did anyone senior wargame what might happen if they allowed £3 registration just to vote?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Suggestion on TMS - remove the square leg umpire (who doesn't now do much, as the 3rd umpire is the point of appeal for run outs, lbws, stumpings etc) and have them just checking for no balls instead.

Wouldn't that just leave one umpire? He'd be absolutely knackered!
  • Options
    Mr. Borough, it's demented, and highly predictable and yet Labour MPs could've and should've stopped it by not supporting someone they don't actually support just to get him on the ballot.

It's a stupid system but Labour MPs have been utter fools to back Corbyn when they don't want him as leader.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,251

Mr. Borough, it's demented, and highly predictable and yet Labour MPs could've and should've stopped it by not supporting someone they don't actually support just to get him on the ballot.

It's a stupid system but Labour MPs have been utter fools to back Corbyn when they don't want him as leader.

It's like a script from the Thick of It frankly.
  • Options
    Mr. Borough, after many series of having Ed Miliband as leader. And to think some thought it'd be hard to top the heaviest suicide note in history.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    edited August 2015
    Dair said:

WTF

WTF

WTF

This is simply staggering. In the coming weeks and months I am sure many more of these stories will surface.

Someone was telling me of a man who was interviewed and claimed that he used the regular cash payments from them to buy drugs and he ended up using the money to buy crack.

One thing you can be sure of is the establishment will close ranks and noone will be held to account.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Stokes get one more and its four consecutive 5-fors from 4 different bowlers!
  • Options
    And now - finally - Neville goes. Not off a no-ball, for once!
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    isam said:

ydoethur said:

Which would, conveniently, match that run I gave you yesterday in the 1990s!

EDIT - although Stokes only has 4 at the moment. Broad and Wood have one each.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    ydoethur said:

Big cheer for the replay, although why he ever though to review that plumb in front not playing a shot I have no idea.

9 overs to go, what chance we can get a couple more and ask for the extra half hour to finish them off tonight.
  • Options
    Australia -103 for 6......
  • Options
    Mr. SE, the joy of an institutional failure is that you don't need to hold individuals to account, merely assert that the 'culture was to blame', as if culture is a strange and mystical thing that evolves and exists separately to actual people.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

Big cheer for the replay, although why he ever though to review that plumb in front not playing a shot I have no idea.

9 overs to go, what chance we can get a couple more and ask for the extra half hour to finish them off tonight.
    Can you claim the extra half-hour if you haven't bowled your full quota of overs by 6.30 (which England won't have)?
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

Dair said:

WTF

WTF

WTF

This is simply staggering. In the coming weeks and months I am sure many more of these stories will surface.

Someone was telling me of a man who was interviewed and claimed that he used the regular cash payments from them to buy drugs and he ended up using the money to buy crack.
    The KC ethos was 'never turn a child away' and to 'spend every penny they received' - and low and behold, between 2009 and 2013 the number of self-referral children visiting the charity swelled by 22 thousand. – But then dishing out brown envelops stuffed with cash and Oyster cards, does tends to do that I find. :lol:
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

isam said:

ydoethur said:

Didn't the 2nd Inns of the 4th test vs Windies there ruin the sequence? They chased down a total for 3 wickets
  • Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474
    edited August 2015

MP_SE said:

Dair said:

WTF

WTF

WTF

The KC ethos was 'never turn a child away' and to 'spend every penny they received' - and low and behold, between 2009 and 2013 the number of self-referral children visiting the charity swelled by 22 thousand. – But then dishing out brown envelops stuffed with cash and Oyster cards, does tends to do that I find. :lol:
    Radio 4 ran a very informative programme on KC last night. According to interviewees, centres were quiet most days until Friday when it was chaos with hundreds of 'kids' pitching up to collect their £30 and Oyster cards. Then it was off to buy some weed. One laughed about buying an iPod with her loot.

Dope dealers across south London must be feeling the pinch this weekend.
  • Options
    Camilla Long in STimes said she saw 2 kids in 9 hours over a weekend - but 75 staff.
    watford30 said:

MP_SE said:

Dair said:

WTF

WTF

WTF

Radio 4 ran a very informative programme on KC last night. According to interviewees, centres were quiet most days until Friday when it was chaos with hundreds of 'kids' pitching up to collect their £30 and Oyster cards. Then it was off to buy some weed. One laughed about buying an iPod with her loot.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091

And of course we can look forward to the added entertainment of the recriminations when the result comes in. If it's a Corbyn win (and even if it isn't) we can expect lots of stories about how entryists, infiltrators and just plain traitors signed up to skew the result, thereby undermining the legitimacy of the victor and making the already Herculean task of re-uniting the party even harder.

As self-inflicted political wounds go, this contest is a humdinger.

And the irony is that it was the Labour Establishment through a series of mis-steps who created Corbynmania:

If the Blairites hadn't insisted on this "open primary" system (something they thought, wrongly, would help them as it would supposedly get more "moderate" less politically-interested people signed up), then there wouldn't have been such a huge surge of youngsters signing up.

If Andy Burnham (previously the grassroots darling) hadn't gone wobbly at the start of the campaign by spouting all that "aspiration" rubbish, there would've been atleast one "acceptable" mainstream candidate.

If Harriet Harman hadn't decided that Labour was now in the business of abstaining on bills which clobber the poorest people, then she wouldn't have sparked the new wave of even pragmatic Labour members, who would normally baulk at Corbyn, thinking they had no choice but to vote for him out of despair at the current leadership seeming to have no guiding principles at all.
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

Dair said:

WTF

WTF

WTF

One thing you can be sure of is the establishment will close ranks and noone will be held to account.
    The thing I found incomprehensible was Camilla claiming they were helping 3,000 children "off book". How can that work for a charity that has to account for its expenditure? I disagree with you - this will get very, very messy I predict.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

Can you claim the extra half-hour if you haven't bowled your full quota of overs by 6.30 (which England won't have)?
    Good question. They are starting over 60 now, so 57 since lunch which seems okay - the delay was in their bowling to us this morning, only 20 ovs before we declared.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Their clients are apparently marching on Number10 today.
    watford30 said:

MP_SE said:

Dair said:

WTF

WTF

WTF

• Options
    isam said:

ydoethur said:

isam said:

ydoethur said:

Didn't the 2nd Inns of the 4th test vs Windies there ruin the sequence? They chased down a total for 3 wickets
    Tufnell also took 5-94 against Sri Lanka in the 2nd innings if you don't mind counting him twice. (Tufnell also took 11 wickets in the following Test, against NZ, but only 4 in the first innings).
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,882
    There were 20000 members who signed up in the aftermath of the election defeat, which was a pretty standard fightback response for a major party.

http://labourlist.org/2015/05/labour-membership-rises-by-20000-since-election-day/

So with 70k now, there have been an extra 50,000 since? That seems a ridiculously high amount, especially considering there haven't been any high profile sign up drives or anything.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

Good question. They are starting over 60 now, so 57 since lunch which seems okay - the delay was in their bowling to us this morning, only 20 ovs before we declared.
    Apparently can only be claimed if all scheduled overs are bowled by 6.30. BBC speculating Cook wouldn't want to claim it anyway and would rather give Broad a break.

ECB must be praying England don't claim it/knock the last four over...losing a whole Saturday's takings would be bad financial news, whatever their insurance policy.
  • Options
    Plato said:

Theirclients are apparently marching on #10 today.

watford30 said:

MP_SE said:

Dair said:

WTF

WTF

WTF

Are they expecting the PM to give them their dope money personally?

Surely the only criticism of government here is that they didn't shut KC down earlier!
  • Options
    Kids Club sounds like an absolute hoot !

Free money for clients and staff all round !
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    ydoethur said:

isam said:

ydoethur said:

isam said:

ydoethur said:

Tufnell also took 5-94 against Sri Lanka in the 2nd innings if you don't mind counting him twice. (Tufnell also took 11 wickets in the following Test, against NZ, but only 4 in the first innings).
    My fav player Graeme Hick dropped for the Sri Lankan one off test after getting a thorough going over vs the mighty Windies... harsh!

EDIT he was dropped for the 5th test vs WI

EDIT!! Stokes has his 5 for!!! Is this a record???!!!
  • Options
    :lol: so true
    Sandpit said:

Plato said:

watford30 said:

MP_SE said:

Dair said:

WTF

WTF

WTF

Surely the only criticism of government here is that they didn't shut KC down earlier!
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Well, he's proven himself to be rather dopey where KC is concerned :smiley:
  • Options
    isam said:

ydoethur said:

isam said:

ydoethur said:

isam said:

ydoethur said:

My fav player Graeme Hick dropped for the Sri Lankan one off test after getting a thorough going over vs the mighty Windies... harsh!
    Most mismanaged player of all time.

Was never going to be an AB de Villiers, but he should at least have achieved as much as Ian Bell - and would have, given the chance I think.
  • Options
    Plato said:

:lol: so true

Sandpit said:

Plato said:

watford30 said:

MP_SE said:

Dair said:

WTF

WTF

WTF

And if Mr Cameron has any sense, he'll be watching the cricket with the rest of us!
  • Options
    And now Stokes does have that 5-for, and Adam Voges is all that stands between Australia and a two day defeat.

If Michael Clarke isn't writing that letter, the selectors should be writing one to him. And to Lehmann. And to their own bosses.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

Apparently can only be claimed if all scheduled overs are bowled by 6.30. BBC speculating Cook wouldn't want to claim it anyway and would rather give Broad a break.

ECB must be praying England don't claim it/knock the last four over...losing a whole Saturday's takings would be bad financial news, whatever their insurance policy.
    I would imagine they would rather wave off tomorrow, rather than have everyone turn up and have to staff the place for half an hour's play. I guess the hospitality would still go on and they'd sell a few beers though. Would be interesting to see their thinking and spreadsheets.

Would be a bit peeved if I were travelling any distance to go watch though.

Edit: Moot point now, bad light wins the day.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Kids Club sounds like an absolute hoot !

Free money for clients and staff all round !

Plato provided a list of what was on offer for free to children, their parents and the entire staff

Absolutely mindboggling.
  • Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited August 2015

'A few days later I visit the London office space that the Unite union has lent to the campaign. ....

The key here is the role of the Unions in helping Corbyn. That dwarfs the other 3 campaigns. They have been signing up existing union members to have a vote and signing new people that call in on the £3 for Corbyn route and push calling to persuade Labour registered members/union/£3 to vote for Corbyn.

That Ed Miliband's team did not understand this would happen shows how gullible they were ... or they just wanted to reward the Unions who backed EdM?
  • Options
    Just seen this - several hundred migrants have occupied an abandoned secondary school in Paris, causing quite a fuss amongst local politicians. Lefty activists said to have opened the premises up. http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/world/europe/article4519603.ece
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,780
    Sandpit said:

Plato said:

watford30 said:

MP_SE said:

Dair said:

WTF

WTF

WTF

Yes, I don't understand how the users of the service or the charity can be mad at the politicians at all, really. They're in trouble for ignoring advice about KC and giving KC the money, what more did they want?
  • Options
    William_HWilliam_H Posts: 346
    Isn't it kinda misleading to count the trade unionists as fresh sign ups? Or am I misunderstanding, and the 200,000 before the election included affiliated trades unionists?
  • Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474
    edited August 2015
    Plato said:

Camilla Long in STimes said she saw 2 kids in 9 hours over a weekend - but 75 staff.

watford30 said:

MP_SE said:

Dair said:

WTF

WTF

WTF

It sounds like a complete racket.

Those operating well run charities supporting those in serious need of help must be banging their heads against walls in despair at the damage this has done to the sector.
  • Options
    William_H said:

Isn't it kinda misleading to count the trade unionists as fresh sign ups? Or am I misunderstanding, and the 200,000 before the election included affiliated trades unionists?

Labour affiliated Unions may declare one way or the other, however their members must individually sign up to vote – I think that’s how it goes.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Sandpit said:

I would imagine they would rather wave off tomorrow, rather than have everyone turn up and have to staff the place for half an hour's play. I guess the hospitality would still go on and they'd sell a few beers though.

You would grudge travelling to watch England win the Ashes after just half an hour of play?

I am reminded of this joke:
    A Pole comes into a Warsaw bank.

‘I have a hundred zlotys,’ says the Pole. 'I can’t decide what would be the safest thing to do with them.’

'Put them in the bank,’ says the bank clerk.

'But what if the bank crashes?’ says the Pole.

'If the bank crashes, then the bank administration guarantees to refund your money,’ replies the clerk.

'Well, what if the administration goes bust?’

'Then the Polish Ministry of Finance guarantees to refund your money.’

'Well, what if the Ministry of Finance goes bust?’

'Then the Polish government guarantees to refund your money.’

'Well, what if the Polish government goes bankrupt?’

'Well, in that case the friendly Soviet Union guarantees the return of your money.’

'And what if the Soviet Union goes bankrupt?’

'You bastard, you don’t mean to say that you’d begrudge a hundred zlotys for that?’
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

I would imagine they would rather wave off tomorrow, rather than have everyone turn up and have to staff the place for half an hour's play. I guess the hospitality would still go on and they'd sell a few beers though.

You would grudge travelling to watch England win the Ashes after just half an hour of play?
    Now that you put it like that!!! Had forgotten this match is for the series, been a long and tiring couple of days.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

Mr. SE, the joy of an institutional failure is that you don't need to hold individuals to account, merely assert that the 'culture was to blame', as if culture is a strange and mystical thing that evolves and exists separately to actual people.

Perhaps thats an idea you could explore in one of your books, Mr.D.. Do a bit of a Prachett, maybe.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    watford30 said:

Plato said:

watford30 said:

MP_SE said:

Dair said:

WTF

WTF

WTF

It sounds like a complete racket.

Those operating well run charities supporting those in serious need of help must be banging their heads against walls in despair at the damage this has done to the charity sector.
    Hopefully this will be the kick that the charity sector needs to sort itself out - into smaller voluntary groups, rather than behemoths paying six figure salaries and hounding old ladies to the point of suicide.
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

Freggles said:

isam said:

Oh, you!

I wouldn't vote for Labour under any of the 4 candidates leadership, but I probably like Corbyn the best as he seems to believe in something other than power for powers sake

His genuine opposition to the Iraq war and support of nuclear disarmament definitely appeal, and I certainly don't consider people that are not produced on the assembly line of modern politics odd just because they dare say something different from what post 1997 govts say

I can empathise with the rough treatment he gets from centrists because of that, the same as UKIP get. The C4 interview about Hamas "friends" was particularly ridiculous.

I guess I would be marginally more inclined to vote Labour if he was leader than I would if any of the other three were, as they are basically Cameroons, but its like 0.1/10 rather than 0/10

His immigration policy would prob be the same as Cameron's only Corbyn wouldn't pretend not to like it
    Thanks.