Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Undefined discussion subject.

13»

Comments

• Options
    EPG said:

AndyJS said:

When discussing migrants, hardly any commentators seem to mention the total failure of post-colonialist governments despite being given enormous funds by the West over the last 50 years. The reason is that none of them want to admit that maybe things were better for ordinary people in those countries when they were part of colonial empires.

Codswallop. India's constant cycle of famine ended the minute the Empire buggered off. So it wasn't all kindly missionaries and smiling subalterns.
    Steady on, next you'll be saying the Indians miss things like the Jallianwala Bagh massacre
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    HYUFD said:

Speedy said:

The premiere of The Donald Trump Show scored record ratings, 24 million watched it:

http://money.cnn.com/2015/08/07/media/gop-debate-fox-news-ratings/

Gravis post-debate poll has Carson the winner, Paul the loser

Who won-
    Carson 22
    Trump 19
    Rubio 13
    Bush 10
    Huck 9
    Kasich 8
    Cruz 7
    Walker 7
    Paul 3
    Christie 2

Who lost-
    Paul 34
    Trump 30
    Christie 9
    Bush 7
    Kasich 4
    Carson 4
    Huck 4
    Cruz 4
    Walker 2
    Rubio 2

More favor/less favor
    Carson 80-9
    Rubio 68-13
    Huck 60-18
    Walker 58-17
    Cruz 57-19
    Kasich 54-27
    Bush 48-33
    Christie 41-33
    Trump 36-45
    Paul 14-67
    http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/ben-carson-scores-big-win-at-the-first-gop-debate-followed-by-marco-rubio-300125436.html
    According to Donald Trump, he won and the loser was Megyn Kelly.

It was possibly a little unwise of him to tweet at 3.30am that she is a bimbo.

The talking heads on CNN and Fox News have made Carly Fiorina the big winner from last night. She went on MsNBC after the debate and when Chris Matthews challenged her about her saying Hillary lied, she took him apart. She is impressive.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    edited August 2015

isam said:

Imagine if the great pretending trollers here had to do this

'In print and online articles in April and May 2013 we said that Alex Wood, who was standing for UKIP in the May 2013 local elections in Somerset, had been photographed making a 'Nazi salute'. We also said that he had made racist comments on Facebook.

We now accept that these allegations were wrong and there is no reason to believe that Mr Wood is a racist or a Nazi. The photograph, one of a series of photographs appearing on his Facebook page, was taken out of context. Mr Wood was reaching out to stop a friend taking a photo on a mobile phone. The comments on Facebook purportedly made by Mr Wood were not made by him and the police have confirmed that they were not made by Mr Wood.

We apologise to Mr Wood for the allegations made and any hurt and distress caused as a result. We hope this apology will go some way to repairing Mr Wood’s reputation.”

http://www.mirror.co.uk/for-the-record/alex-wood-an-apology-6209529#ICID=sharebar_facebook

Hope he gets a nice big payout.
    You would hope so given he lost his job and house over what the Mirror reported:

https://twitter.com/SuzanneEvans1/status/629659758501437440
  • Options
    Oooh

Liz Kendall has accused her Labour leaderships rivals of spreading "smears" and false rumours after she was forced to deny suggestions she is in a relationship with her campaign manager.
    Miss Kendall, 44, has been the subject of unfounded claims in Labour circles that she is in a relationship with John Woodcock, a fellow MP who is recently divorced.

Mr Woodcock, speaking with Miss Kendall's permission, last night took the unusual step of publicly stating that the claims were "not true, has never been true and would never be true".

He told The Telegraph that Miss Kendall is being subjected to a "systematic" smear campaign as he vowed to expose those responsible and sue them for slander.

http://bit.ly/1EerKmj
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    Tim_B said:

HYUFD said:

Speedy said:

The premiere of The Donald Trump Show scored record ratings, 24 million watched it:

Who won-
    Carson 22
    Trump 19
    Rubio 13
    Bush 10
    Huck 9
    Kasich 8
    Cruz 7
    Walker 7
    Paul 3
    Christie 2

Who lost-
    Paul 34
    Trump 30
    Christie 9
    Bush 7
    Kasich 4
    Carson 4
    Huck 4
    Cruz 4
    Walker 2
    Rubio 2

More favor/less favor
    Carson 80-9
    Rubio 68-13
    Huck 60-18
    Walker 58-17
    Cruz 57-19
    Kasich 54-27
    Bush 48-33
    Christie 41-33
    Trump 36-45
    Paul 14-67
    http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/ben-carson-scores-big-win-at-the-first-gop-debate-followed-by-marco-rubio-300125436.html

The talking heads on CNN and Fox News have made Carly Fiorina the big winner from last night. She went on MsNBC after the debate and when Chris Matthews challenged her about her saying Hillary lied, she took him apart. She is impressive.
    It was her with the cyber walls wasn't it?

But she was much better on foreign policy (although I almost laughed at "my friend Bibi Netanyahu").

I though she did well against the others, but she was in a game of minnows.

I wonder what she would have done at the top table.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,302
    edited August 2015
    Plato said:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/11788923/Kids-Company-boss-Camila-Batmanghelidjh-turned-HQ-into-private-Aladdins-den.html

“Three people told me they had simply been employed off the street; one worked in a bank, another was working in a legal firm.”

Significantly, the young woman disclosed that the charity had asked her to help compile an “evidence base” about its work to present to the Cabinet office as part of its bid for millions of pounds of taxpayers’ money.

The absence of robust evidence to show whether the charity’s work with children was effective was one reason why ministers previously questioned whether to renew the group’s funding.

In a scathing feedback report written earlier this year, seen by the Telegraph, she described the charity as “extremely overstaffed” and hopelessly inefficient. She also claimed that the charity effectively doctored its own statistics. She said she had been deeply disillusioned after seeing staff asking children to change what they had written on satisfaction questionnaires if they gave the “wrong answer”.

She also said: “It seemed to me that people really are scared of [Miss Batmanghelidjh] … She seemed to have favourites and if you weren’t one that was made clear.”
    GIven they needed £800k just to make one months payroll and a £3 million grant didn't even touch the sides (and remember the government weren't the only ones funding this, lots and lots of other people / organisations were e.g. Comic Relief), I think that tells you all you need to know about overstaffing for a charity that wasn't even nationwide.

There are big charities out there that don't even see £3 million a year, let alone need that kind of funding just for one month.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    EPG said:

AndyJS said:

When discussing migrants, hardly any commentators seem to mention the total failure of post-colonialist governments despite being given enormous funds by the West over the last 50 years. The reason is that none of them want to admit that maybe things were better for ordinary people in those countries when they were part of colonial empires.

Codswallop. India's constant cycle of famine ended the minute the Empire buggered off. So it wasn't all kindly missionaries and smiling subalterns.
    You're both at best half right, albeit for different reasons. The cycle of famine and generalised despair has in no way left India. It may not be Bengal in the 1940s but the exploitative ruling class remain and orthodox has been magnified. But, looking at post-Colonial Africa thequesption is, in its bluntest firm, is it better to be ruled wellishly by an outsider or badly by one of us. I think the answer is, in broad terms' the latter.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    In addition to the debate being the highest rated show ever on Fox News, the anchors are getting praise from across the political spectrum for their questioning.

Here's a sample from a competing network - which will host the next Republican debate next month, and the first Democratic debate in October.

http://money.cnn.com/2015/08/06/media/republican-debate-fox/
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091

Hell of a story at the bottom of the telegraph

https://twitter.com/suttonnick/status/629756166990598144

What "smears"? Her saying it now is the first I've heard of these rumours!
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    Danny565 said:

That is true.
  • Options

Tim_B said:

HYUFD said:

Speedy said:

Who won-
    Carson 22
    Trump 19
    Rubio 13
    Bush 10
    Huck 9
    Kasich 8
    Cruz 7
    Walker 7
    Paul 3
    Christie 2

Who lost-
    Paul 34
    Trump 30
    Christie 9
    Bush 7
    Kasich 4
    Carson 4
    Huck 4
    Cruz 4
    Walker 2
    Rubio 2

More favor/less favor
    Carson 80-9
    Rubio 68-13
    Huck 60-18
    Walker 58-17
    Cruz 57-19
    Kasich 54-27
    Bush 48-33
    Christie 41-33
    Trump 36-45
    Paul 14-67

It was her with the cyber walls wasn't it?

But she was much better on foreign policy (although I almost laughed at "my friend Bibi Netanyahu").

I though she did well against the others, but she was in a game of minnows.

I wonder what she would have done at the top table.
    I think we'll find out next month.
  • Options
    JWisemannJWisemann Posts: 1,082
    edited August 2015
    AndyJS said:

Christ. There really are some delusional loons on here.
  • Options
  • Options
    Leaving Cameron's repulsive links with Islamic extremists aside, that Mail smear really is poor, isn't it! There isn't a shred of evidence presented that the loon in the article has anything to do with Corbyn. I realise I may be stating the obvious here when it comes to Mail smears.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Danny565 said:

That is true.
    Haha. Yeah, there really is a noticeably concerted Get Kendall campaign out there, what with her being such a threat to the other contenders and everything.

• Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    Tim_B said:

In addition to the debate being the highest rated show ever on Fox News, the anchors are getting praise from across the political spectrum for their questioning.

Here's a sample from a competing network - which will host the next Republican debate next month, and the first Democratic debate in October.

I thought that the questions in the first (minnows') debate were needlessly long and rather assumptive.

But it seems the main debate was better.
  • Options
    JEOJEO Posts: 3,656
    matt said:

EPG said:

AndyJS said:

You're both at best half right, albeit for different reasons. The cycle of famine and generalised despair has in no way left India. It may not be Bengal in the 1940s but the exploitative ruling class remain and orthodox has been magnified. But, looking at post-Colonial Africa thequesption is, in its bluntest firm, is it better to be ruled wellishly by an outsider or badly by one of us. I think the answer is, in broad terms' the latter.
    Apartheid South Africa was pretty damn terrible for the many blacks that got beaten by police regularly. And I'm sure the Namibians under the Germans and thr Congolese under King Leopold had worse governance.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:
    I think America is approaching the point were billionaires instead of sponsoring politicians to rule in their name, they bypass them in favour of ruling directly.

Why should a billionaire donate millions to a presidential campaign of a politician when he can run instead and get elected.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

Glad you enjoyed the Republican Freak Show :)
  • Options
    JWisemann said:

'Given his links with Islamic extremists, we shouldn't be too surprised if he's picked up a few holocaust deniers along the way.'

Just because Cameron is best mates with the totalitarian rulers of the world's most evil religious state, doesn't mean he is responsible for all the anti-Semitic bile and plague of Islamic extremism that comes out of Saudi Arabia,

Oh, you are talking about Corbyn.

In the course of his diplomatic duties as a head of government, I don't think Cameron has ever referred to Islamic extremists as friends. Corbyn does it of his own volition.
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    matt said:

EPG said:

AndyJS said:

There is a separate question of economic growth and access to consumer technology, by which measure much of the developing world is now massively better off than during the colonial era. On the other hand, governance is often very poor and this can mean awful access to basic services, from power to healthcare to education. Somalia has somehow undergone a massive development in GDP per capita and with broad swathes of its population now having access to cellphones and the internet, while barely having a functional government at all.
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

isam said:

Imagine if the great pretending trollers here had to do this

'In print and online articles in April and May 2013 we said that Alex Wood, who was standing for UKIP in the May 2013 local elections in Somerset, had been photographed making a 'Nazi salute'. We also said that he had made racist comments on Facebook.

We now accept that these allegations were wrong and there is no reason to believe that Mr Wood is a racist or a Nazi. The photograph, one of a series of photographs appearing on his Facebook page, was taken out of context. Mr Wood was reaching out to stop a friend taking a photo on a mobile phone. The comments on Facebook purportedly made by Mr Wood were not made by him and the police have confirmed that they were not made by Mr Wood.

We apologise to Mr Wood for the allegations made and any hurt and distress caused as a result. We hope this apology will go some way to repairing Mr Wood’s reputation.”

http://www.mirror.co.uk/for-the-record/alex-wood-an-apology-6209529#ICID=sharebar_facebook

Hope he gets a nice big payout.
    You would hope so given he lost his job and house over what the Mirror reported:

https://twitter.com/SuzanneEvans1/status/629659758501437440
    The Mirror is a disgusting newspaper. I don't support UKIP but the smear campaign against them, which far too many of my fellow Conservatives were happy to jump on, went far too far. We need to learn how to disagree without being disagreeable. Unfortunately every party has its nasty, aggressive contingent.
  • Options

Tim_B said:

Glad you enjoyed the Republican Freak Show :)
    It's the best show on earth, unfortunately the moderators are messing it.
    I would have preferred it to be an actual debate instead of a question and answer session.
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,052
    JWisemann said:

AndyJS said:

I have the urge to watch Zulu again to watch those valiant English soldiers stand up to the Zulu in one of our most memorable victories.

I cannot even begin to imagine the horror of what it is like to have a foreign invader that rules your lands by force. 1066 was the last time for us English.

The mindset that even remotely thinks that colonialism was a good thing- was the same mindset that led us into the horrific campaigns in Iraq and so forth.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,605
    edited August 2015

EPG said:

AndyJS said:

Steady on, next you'll be saying the Indians miss things like the Jallianwala Bagh massacre
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_famines
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_wars_and_anthropogenic_disasters_by_death_toll#Famine
  • Options

Tim_B said:

I thought that the questions in the first (minnows') debate were needlessly long and rather assumptive.

But it seems the main debate was better.
    Megyn Kelly and Brett Baier did a feature before the main debate on how they came up with the questioning. They (and Chris Wallace) spent literally days working on it.

The #1 priority - keep them off their talking points. It has set a high bar for CNN. These debates are usually snorers. Both of yesterday's were good entertainment, although not really informative if you follow the campaign.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,211
    edited August 2015
    Tim_B said:

HYUFD said:

Speedy said:

Who won-
    Carson 22
    Trump 19
    Rubio 13
    Bush 10
    Huck 9
    Kasich 8
    Cruz 7
    Walker 7
    Paul 3
    Christie 2

Who lost-
    Paul 34
    Trump 30
    Christie 9
    Bush 7
    Kasich 4
    Carson 4
    Huck 4
    Cruz 4
    Walker 2
    Rubio 2

More favor/less favor
    Carson 80-9
    Rubio 68-13
    Huck 60-18
    Walker 58-17
    Cruz 57-19
    Kasich 54-27
    Bush 48-33
    Christie 41-33
    Trump 36-45
    Paul 14-67

Trump sucked most of the oxygen from the debate, that was what really mattered to him, as these results show he was runner-up in terms of those who won the debate, but also runner-up in terms of those who lost the debate. If you loved Trump before the debate, you will still love him, if you hated Trump before the debate, you will still hate him. Carly Fiorina may move up from an also ran to an almost ran, but I doubt she will be a major factor next year
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,037
    edited August 2015
    Wonder if the same will be true of the PB trolls? Sure it was used once or twice..

https://twitter.com/danhannanmep/status/629762767705239553
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

If only the Empire was a truly democratic federation! It would largely be intact today!
  • Options
    Tim_B said:
    I used to love playing Top Trumps with my friends at school :)
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Likewise. I've been following the process very closely, been on Twitter and Facebook daily on Labour groups and Corbyn groups... and this is the first I've heard of any rumours about LK.
  • Options
    This is desperate stuff. I mean really desperate. Kendall is about as much threat as my grandma Mabel. Who in their right mind is remotely interested in her, or some unknown nobody?

Maybe if I was more cynical, I would perhaps think Kendell circulated this story herself to get some traction. But heh, I am not that cynical.
    JWisemann said:

Speedy said:

Danny565 said:

That is true.
    Haha. Yeah, there really is a noticeably concerted Get Kendall campaign out there, what with her being such a threat to the other contenders and everything.

• Options

rcs1000 said:

MP_SE said:

I wish the Mail would have sat on this story until Corbyn becomes leader:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3187428/Jeremy-Corbyn-s-links-notorious-Holocaust-denier-revealed.html

He is making Farage look saintly in comparison.

Given his links with Islamic extremists, we shouldn't be too surprised if he's picked up a few holocaust deniers along the way.

EDIT: referring to Corbyn not Farage, obviously
    Ahem

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2801972/jewish-fury-ukip-s-nigel-farage-forms-pact-holocaust-deniers-secure-funding-eu.html
    This is a classic case of the anti-UKIP nonsense I'm talking about. The individual UKIP allowed to join their grouping is not a holocaust denier and it is pure lies to pretend he is because of an offhand comment from his party leader. And, of course, the rest of the major parties all have extremist bedfellows in the EU parliament. This obvious double standard that UKIP is smeared with just turns people off politics. We need to win people over to the Tories by building ourselves up and representing people, not by tearing down the other parties.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,680
    edited August 2015
    JEO said:

rcs1000 said:

MP_SE said:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3187428/Jeremy-Corbyn-s-links-notorious-Holocaust-denier-revealed.html

Given his links with Islamic extremists, we shouldn't be too surprised if he's picked up a few holocaust deniers along the way.

Ahem

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2801972/jewish-fury-ukip-s-nigel-farage-forms-pact-holocaust-deniers-secure-funding-eu.html
    This is a classic case of the anti-UKIP nonsense I'm talking about. The individual UKIP allowed to join their grouping is not a holocaust denier and it is pure lies to pretend he is because of an offhand comment from his party leader. And, of course, the rest of the major parties all have extremist bedfellows in the EU parliament. This obvious double standard that UKIP is smeared with just turns people off politics. We need to win people over to the Tories by building ourselves up and representing people, not by tearing down the other parties.
    From Kippers, this week, I've read on twitter and indeed one Kipper on here, I paraphrase, Pro-EU people like Heath are paedos/are only Pro-EU because they have been blackmailed into being Pro-EU cause they are paedos.

Forgive me for not believing this is one way traffic.
  • Options

JEO said:

rcs1000 said:

MP_SE said:

Ahem

From Kippers, this week, I've read on twitter and indeed one Kipper on here, I paraphrase, Pro-EU people like Heath are paedos/are only Pro-EU because they have been blackmailed into being Pro-EU cause they are paedos.

New Thread "TSE = Pro-EU Quisling?"

:lol:
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    tyson said:

Maybe if I was more cynical, I would perhaps think Kendell circulated this story herself to get some traction. But heh, I am not that cynical.

Wouldn't surprise me. It was Kendall's team who kicked up a fuss and drew attention to that "working mum" article, too.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,911
    I deny being John Woodcock!!!
  • Options
    edited August 2015

JEO said:

rcs1000 said:

MP_SE said:

Ahem

I could never be a quisling.

Being a collaborator is what the French do.

As a proud Les Rosbif, I would never emulate the French
  • Options
    scotslassscotslass Posts: 912
    I like Corbyn and think he is both a serious politician and the best of a bad bunch in the Labour leadership. If I were a Labour member then I would probably vote for him on that basis.

However, I am not a Labour member and the idea that I should be able to pretend to be a supporter, whether Tory or Trot, simply to vote in this leadership is ludicrous.

There is a view growing that the Labour Party is dying not because of Corbyn's politics, not because of the unseemly Blairite threats to destabilise him before he has even won but because a Party which is not even capable of organising a proper election is not capable of forming an opposition never mind a Government.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Tim_B said:

HYUFD said:

Speedy said:

Who won-
    Carson 22
    Trump 19
    Rubio 13
    Bush 10
    Huck 9
    Kasich 8
    Cruz 7
    Walker 7
    Paul 3
    Christie 2

Who lost-
    Paul 34
    Trump 30
    Christie 9
    Bush 7
    Kasich 4
    Carson 4
    Huck 4
    Cruz 4
    Walker 2
    Rubio 2

More favor/less favor
    Carson 80-9
    Rubio 68-13
    Huck 60-18
    Walker 58-17
    Cruz 57-19
    Kasich 54-27
    Bush 48-33
    Christie 41-33
    Trump 36-45
    Paul 14-67

Trump sucked most of the oxygen from the debate, that was what really mattered to him, as these results show he was runner-up in terms of those who won the debate, but also runner-up in terms of those who lost the debate. If you loved Trump before the debate, you will still love him, if you hated Trump before the debate, you will still hate him. Carly Fiorina may move up from an also ran to an almost ran, but I doubt she will be a major factor next year
    The book on Carly is that she gives a barn burning stump speech and generates lots of buzz at her events. I can attest to that. I've seen her in person a couple of times. I've seen several of them (not Trump or Bush yet) and she is the best at getting the crowd going. I'd like to see them all but don't know if it'll happen.

What happens is that it takes a couple of days for the dust to settle after these debates, with the commentators expressing their opinions and then the first non-instant post-debate polls will arrive so we will know who 'won'.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    That's absolutely true- of course pro EU people are paedos, stupid. Duh.

JEO said:

rcs1000 said:

MP_SE said:

Ahem

• Options
    edited August 2015
    JEO said:

JWisemann said:

'Given his links with Islamic extremists, we shouldn't be too surprised if he's picked up a few holocaust deniers along the way.'

Just because Cameron is best mates with the totalitarian rulers of the world's most evil religious state, doesn't mean he is responsible for all the anti-Semitic bile and plague of Islamic extremism that comes out of Saudi Arabia,

In the course of his diplomatic duties as a head of government, I don't think Cameron has ever referred to Islamic extremists as friends. Corbyn does it of his own volition.
    Cameron's government have sold and given weapons to Islamic extremists from Saudi Arabia to Libya, as well as offering fawning tributes to a dead tyrant, head of the most evil government on earth, ruler of the country responsible for 99% of global Islamic terrorism and extremism. Corbyn said a few diplomatic words in the context of peace discussions. If the Tories want to try and make this blatant hypocrisy a line of attack, I think they better examine the facts on the ground, because Corbyn isn't going to be shy of pointing such things out, should he win.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    He should read the Great Pretending bet inventing 'conservative' trolls on here!

https://twitter.com/danhannanmep/status/629758388780576768
  • Options

JEO said:

rcs1000 said:

MP_SE said:

Ahem

As I said further down, every party has its nasty element. But "he did it too" is not a worthy defence for schoolchildren, let alone mature adults. We should always hold ourselves to a higher standard.
  • Options
    The Premier League starts this weekend. It's now on NBC networks, so ESPN is celebrating by showing a video of an Everton fan picking his nose and then wiping the bogey onto a blond woman's hair as he walks by.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vha0x0THYOA
  • Options
    JWisemann said:

JEO said:

JWisemann said:

Cameron's government have sold and given weapons to Islamic extremists from Saudi Arabia to Libya, as well as offering fawning tributes to a dead tyrant, head of the most evil government on earth, ruler of the country responsible for 99% of global Islamic terrorism and extremism. Corbyn said a few diplomatic words in the context of peace discussions. If the Tories want to try and make this blatant hypocrisy a line of attack, I think they better examine the facts on the ground, because Corbyn isn't going to be shy of pointing such things out, should he win.
    Why don't you provide a quote of this fawning tribute?

The idea that any one country is responsible for 99% of Islamic extremism is absurd. It has existed since long before Saudi Arabia existed, for a start.
  • Options
    JEO said:

JWisemann said:

JEO said:

JWisemann said:

Why don't you provide a quote of this fawning tribute?

The idea that any one country is responsible for 99% of Islamic extremism is absurd. It has existed since long before Saudi Arabia existed, for a start.
    Ah, Saudi Arabia, beacon of democracy in the Mid-East :)
  • Options
    scotslass said:

I like Corbyn and think he is both a serious politician and the best of a bad bunch in the Labour leadership. If I were a Labour member then I would probably vote for him on that basis.

However, I am not a Labour member and the idea that I should be able to pretend to be a supporter, whether Tory or Trot, simply to vote in this leadership is ludicrous.

There is a view growing that the Labour Party is dying not because of Corbyn's politics, not because of the unseemly Blairite threats to destabilise him before he has even won but because a Party which is not even capable of organising a proper election is not capable of forming an opposition never mind a Government.

Much the same was said of the Tories in 2001, within 10 years they were back in government
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Unable to apologise or admit a mistake without wriggling. They really are all the same these dirty, horrible...

...Ukip haters

https://twitter.com/mehdirhasan/status/629665102766190592
  • Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108
    MP_SE said:

Re: KC

At the moment its "very messy"! If allegations of abuse on the premises or by staff are proven, it will reach catastrophe.

But I do not think it it reflects particularly badly on the government.

From that side, Cameron et al fell victim through their own negligence.

On the other hand, it will quickly become far easier to justify their decision to end government support and thus "close" the charity.

I think the government's approach to Kids Company can be applied to foreign aid. It is trendy, makes you feel good about yourself and you can boast about it at dinner parties. Actual results do not matter.
    Foreign Aid has no positive effects on the recipient country (either governmental or charitable).
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

HYUFD said:

Tim_B said:

HYUFD said:

Speedy said:

Who won-
    Carson 22
    Trump 19
    Rubio 13
    Bush 10
    Huck 9
    Kasich 8
    Cruz 7
    Walker 7
    Paul 3
    Christie 2

Who lost-
    Paul 34
    Trump 30
    Christie 9
    Bush 7
    Kasich 4
    Carson 4
    Huck 4
    Cruz 4
    Walker 2
    Rubio 2

More favor/less favor
    Carson 80-9
    Rubio 68-13
    Huck 60-18
    Walker 58-17
    Cruz 57-19
    Kasich 54-27
    Bush 48-33
    Christie 41-33
    Trump 36-45
    Paul 14-67

The book on Carly is that she gives a barn burning stump speech and generates lots of buzz at her events. I can attest to that. I've seen her in person a couple of times. I've seen several of them (not Trump or Bush yet) and she is the best at getting the crowd going. I'd like to see them all but don't know if it'll happen.

What happens is that it takes a couple of days for the dust to settle after these debates, with the commentators expressing their opinions and then the first non-instant post-debate polls will arrive so we will know who 'won'.
    The post-debate polls are normally pretty accurate, I doubt there will be much change in the next few days. Fiorina lost the California Senate race and has never won elected office, she might be a VP option, but she will not be nominee
  • Options

JEO said:

rcs1000 said:

MP_SE said:

Ahem

Except, Quisling was Norwegian!
  • Options
    O/T Excellent 'Friday Night Prom' on BBC4 with Seth Macfarlane and Jamie Parker singing Sinatra and Big Band classics
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

MP_SE said:

Ahem

Ahem:

Interesting views from Michal Kaminski leader of Law and Justice who are a member of the Alliance of European Conservatives and Reformists.
    In the same interview he argued that, while the massacre could not be defended, Poles should not apologise for what they did until Jews apologised to them for their actions which had included "murdering Poles".
    http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2009/oct/11/michal-kaminski-europe-conservatives

Stones and glass houses.
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

rcs1000 said:

MP_SE said:

Ahem

Ahem:

Interesting views from Michal Kaminski leader of Law and Justice who are a member of the Alliance of European Conservatives and Reformists.
    In the same interview he argued that, while the massacre could not be defended, Poles should not apologise for what they did until Jews apologised to them for their actions which had included "murdering Poles".
    http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2009/oct/11/michal-kaminski-europe-conservatives

Stones and glass houses.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-Jewish_violence_in_Poland,_1944–46
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,195

JEO said:

rcs1000 said:

MP_SE said:

Ahem

I don't think LuckyGuy is a genuine Kipper. I think he's a Russian troll.
  • Options

JEO said:

rcs1000 said:

MP_SE said:

Ahem

I know, but Quisling is synonymous with collaboration.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,195
    I'm loving the new Mission Impossible movie...
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Tim_B said:

HYUFD said:

Tim_B said:

HYUFD said:

Speedy said:

Who won-
    Carson 22
    Trump 19
    Rubio 13
    Bush 10
    Huck 9
    Kasich 8
    Cruz 7
    Walker 7
    Paul 3
    Christie 2

Who lost-
    Paul 34
    Trump 30
    Christie 9
    Bush 7
    Kasich 4
    Carson 4
    Huck 4
    Cruz 4
    Walker 2
    Rubio 2

More favor/less favor
    Carson 80-9
    Rubio 68-13
    Huck 60-18
    Walker 58-17
    Cruz 57-19
    Kasich 54-27
    Bush 48-33
    Christie 41-33
    Trump 36-45
    Paul 14-67

The post-debate polls are normally pretty accurate, I doubt there will be much change in the next few days. Fiorina lost the California Senate race and has never won elected office, she might be a VP option, but she will not be nominee
    Really? You don't think Carson will move? Kasich? Rubio?

None of us have any idea who the nominee will be so it's not worth talking about.
  • Options

JEO said:

rcs1000 said:

MP_SE said:

Ahem

So, How does it feel to be a pro-EU Collaborator? :lol:
  • Options
    edited August 2015

JEO said:

rcs1000 said:

MP_SE said:

Ahem

That ain't no lie...
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vidkun_Quisling

Here's another one - the resistance used to run around chalking 6 1/4 on walls....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Seyss-Inquart
  • Options

MP_SE said:

rcs1000 said:

MP_SE said:

Ahem

Ahem:

Stones and glass houses.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-Jewish_violence_in_Poland,_1944–46
    How depressing. Estimates of 400-700 killed AFTER the end of WW2.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    MP_SE said:

rcs1000 said:

MP_SE said:

Ahem

Ahem:

Stones and glass houses.

I've been here when the site was obsessed with Latvian Nazi Homophobes. I'm well aware of all parties having interesting allies.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

I loved it, Simon Pegg is the star of that film
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    HYUFD said:

O/T Excellent 'Friday Night Prom' on BBC4 with Seth Macfarlane and Jamie Parker singing Sinatra and Big Band classics

At last, some real music...
  • Options

JEO said:

rcs1000 said:

MP_SE said:

Ahem

I prefer to see myself not as a collaborator, more of a modern day sepoy.
  • Options
    edited August 2015

JEO said:

rcs1000 said:

MP_SE said:

Ahem

I prefer to see myself not as a collaborator, more of a modern day sepoy.
    Sort of the Yogi from Muskogee?

Don't they eat poy in India? Like apple poy, steak and kidney poy?
  • Options

New thread and goodnight

• Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108
    tyson said:

JWisemann said:

AndyJS said:

I have the urge to watch Zulu again to watch those valiant English soldiers stand up to the Zulu in one of our most memorable victories.

I cannot even begin to imagine the horror of what it is like to have a foreign invader that rules your lands by force. 1066 was the last time for us English.

The mindset that even remotely thinks that colonialism was a good thing- was the same mindset that led us into the horrific campaigns in Iraq and so forth.
    Last time England was conquered by a military invasion was 1688.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

HYUFD said:

Tim_B said:

HYUFD said:

Tim_B said:

HYUFD said:

Speedy said:

Who won-
    Carson 22
    Trump 19
    Rubio 13
    Bush 10
    Huck 9
    Kasich 8
    Cruz 7
    Walker 7
    Paul 3
    Christie 2

Who lost-
    Paul 34
    Trump 30
    Christie 9
    Bush 7
    Kasich 4
    Carson 4
    Huck 4
    Cruz 4
    Walker 2
    Rubio 2

More favor/less favor
    Carson 80-9
    Rubio 68-13
    Huck 60-18
    Walker 58-17
    Cruz 57-19
    Kasich 54-27
    Bush 48-33
    Christie 41-33
    Trump 36-45
    Paul 14-67

None of us have any idea who the nominee will be so it's not worth talking about.
    It will be one of Trump, Walker, Rubio or Bush in my view
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

I loved it, Simon Pegg is the star of that film
    Going to see it tomorrow
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

HYUFD said:

Just finished, it was very good
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Tim_B said:

HYUFD said:

Tim_B said:

HYUFD said:

Tim_B said:

HYUFD said:

It will be one of Trump, Walker, Rubio or Bush in my view
    Nobody cares - it's too early. Anything could happen.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

RodCrosby said:

HYUFD said:

Just finished, it was very good
    What was the set list. I'm a huge Sinatra fan (6 feet, 185lbs)