Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Cameron really does need to be more careful about the words

124»

Comments

• Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    edited July 2015

"Compassion" is a complete red herring in most political arguments, but definitely so here. Mostly because its incredibly easy to signal compassion while doing absolutely nothing.

According to our friend EPG down thread that is as it should be action is apparently a conservative thing, so now we know :)
    EPG said:

You're signalling your own virtue now, by exhorting alleged layabouts to get up of their bums. "Action not words" is a conservative virtue which people like to signal by telling others what to do and being disgusted when they don't agree.

• Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

By the way, @bet365 are doing in-running on Man Of The Match.

Anderson 4/5
    Finn 4/1
    Warner 8/1
    Lyon 16/1
    Johnson 20/1
    33/1 bar

Finn the value there - even if Warner gets a double ton he would need a bowler to skittle England and then MJ would clean up.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,079
    Indigo said:

"Compassion" is a complete red herring in most political arguments, but definitely so here. Mostly because its incredibly easy to signal compassion while doing absolutely nothing.

According to our friend EPG down thread that is as it should be action is apparently a conservative thing, so now we know :)
    Hahaha!

I am really just trying to put down virtue signalling as a conservative meme. Everyone does it, left or right. Like the Cole Porter song.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    Charles said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

philiph said:

watford30 said:

philiph said:

Pay a few grand, repatriate and make them wealthy in migrant donor states.

How will that discourage anyone? It's an incentive.

I think I said solutions, not disincentives.

Cheaper and quicker than legal fees.
    There is of course a final solution. A very cheap and most effective way to deal with swarms of unwanted undesirables.
    You really are sick.

I actually find it sick and disgusting just how little compassion people on this site have for these desperate migrants.
    Compassion we have.

It doesn't mean we have to let them all in.

We also have responsibilities and obligations to the people of this country.
    The numbers of illegal immigrants getting through on back of lorries or other ways through the tunnel,the camp at Calais should be empty in a couple of months,then wait for the next intake.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @BBCNormanS: Unhappy Blairites say leadership contest now "a battle for soul of the Labour party"
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,679

New thread

• Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    edited July 2015
  • Options
    DisraeliDisraeli Posts: 1,106
    92-5
    Finn's 4th wicket
    :smiley:
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,924
    Oh dear what a sad example of mans inhumanity to man this thread is. It's not easy to put yourself in someone else's shoes but when you read a thread like this it's difficult not to wish that the contributors are the ones trapped in Calais.

It would be much easier then to believe they were getting the retribution those on this thread seem to think they deserve

• Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,052
    @Cyclefree

Obviously I meant experience of the European boat migrants, that have come up through Lampedousa- and, have been stranded in Libya- and a few I guess are amongst the group up now in Calais.

But you make my case perfectly Cyclefree- absolutely perfectly so thank you. As your friend is a refugee, you know him and you cannot speak highly enough of him.

The Eritreans that I know are lovely people. These same people who are the alleged undeserving thugs. My car broke down and they bent over backwards to help me- they lent me their phone and bought me food and drinks. They are trying their best for their families and have terrible stories about their treatment, particularly in Libya, but more recently in Italy too.

These are the people I am now reading on this site are no better than thugs and criminals because they are taking desperate measures to improve their plight, are being vilified, been referred to as swarms, demonised- and when someone referred today to "solutions" to deal with them, I couldn't stop myself from making the comparison. Rule of Godwin applies.
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    He really takes stalking to a whole new level of longevity. How long has he been on her case?

Tim (not that Tim) Ireland is facing a £150,000 legal bill after the High Court threw out his petition to have to Nadine Dorries’ election in Mid-Bedfordshire voided.

• Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    *coughs LAUGHS coughs*
    Sean_F said:

tyson said:

philiph said:

watford30 said:

philiph said:

Pay a few grand, repatriate and make them wealthy in migrant donor states.

How will that discourage anyone? It's an incentive.

I think I said solutions, not disincentives.

Cheaper and quicker than legal fees.
    There is of course a final solution. A very cheap and most effective way to deal with swarms of unwanted undesirables.
    You see, you can come up with good ideas when you put your mind to it.