Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » How SNP supporters could sabotage the EU referendum

SystemSystem Posts: 11,687
edited July 2015 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » How SNP supporters could sabotage the EU referendum

Panelbase polled Scots & Rest of UK (RUK) voters

66% of Scots would vote to REMAIN in the EU

51% of RUK voters would vote to LEAVE the EU

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    Nine hundred and ninety-eighth!
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    It's a bit of a far-fetched theory. There are various possible outcomes:

UK in EU
    UK out of EU
    Scotland in EU, UK in EU
    Scotland in EU, UK out of EU
    Scotland out of EU, UK in EU
    Scotland out of EU, UK out of EU

Perhaps the whole of the UK should vote by AV in a 6-option referendum. Then there can be further kerfufflements if Scotland votes for an option different from the rest of the UK.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,898
    Morning. Surely if the SNP supporters vote tactically for 'out' in the EU referendum, there will be a smaller gap between England and Scotland on the issue?
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,711
    Sandpit said:

Morning. Surely if the SNP supporters vote tactically for 'out' in the EU referendum, there will be a smaller gap between England and Scotland on the issue?

Not as clever as they think? Never!
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

Sandpit said:

Not as clever as they think? Never!
    Is there any evidence beyond the I inside of TSE' s mind that they are thinking this? I think for o once, the thread is a 'miss'. Surely the big stories are Labour continuing to decline in Scotland while rushing to Armageddon in the rUK.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Surely this thread is worthwhile if only because it is the first in many, many a long day that suggests the LibDems will gain a seat?
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Morning all.

Hmm, well it’s a theory I guess. – And who will lead this Tartan tactical army, Gen Thimbron?
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    edited July 2015
    This really is - or at least should be - a non issue. Scotland makes up 8% of the electorate in the referendum and that's it. If the SNP try to make this about them then it might make some people in the rest of the UK more likely to vote to leave the EU just to spite Scotland. After all, the rest of the UK had to stand by and watch Scotland get to determine the future of the United Kingdom.

So the question for the SNP should be, what do you care about more - keeping Scotland in the EU or leaving the United Kingdom? If it is the former then I suggest the SNP stay out of the EU referendum, apart from encouraging their own voters to vote to stay in the EU.
  • Options

Surely this thread is worthwhile if only because it is the first in many, many a long day that suggests the LibDems will gain a seat?

I guess but only from the list. Overall they could benefit from the Labour mess but Farron hardly impresses.
  • Options
    blackburn63blackburn63 Posts: 4,492
    Who would ever have thought that the Tories were within 6/7% of labour in Scotland. The Labour Party looks to be facing oblivion.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    What we do know is that the SNP are a completely unprincipled lot and you should trust them at your peril.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,004

I'm sorry: the opinion poll is wrong. Calum has already explained that the libdems will lose all their remaining MSPs next year.

Please try and keep up.
  • Options
    This is a very poor poll for the Conservatives and Libdems, and an excellent one for Labour. Earlier this year, at the general election, the Cons and Libs got twice as many seats as Labour. Now they can't even match them.

A clear and unequivocal sign of a Scottish Labour surge.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Anyone know how to get Scottish nationality? If the UK votes to leave the EU I'm certain Scotland will demand a second referendum. For those of us who would rather remain in the EU than 'Little England' this would seem the best opportunity

As an aside; Who'd have thought we'd see another 'Thatcher government' in any of our lifetimes? All the nasty little prejudices that made them pariahs all these years are back with a vengiance.

It's 1983 all over again. An enfeebled Labour party destroyed from within have allowed the Wooden Horse of Consevatism back. How Steve Hilton fooled us all....
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    edited July 2015
    O/T (Sorry)
    Labour change the rules to make leadership elections fairer. They then end up with a candidate that might win that they don't like. As a result they call for the election to be stopped .

Seriously? I mean seriously? They are so fecked.......

MPs in plot to scrap leadership race as Corbyn pulls ahead in two polls: Panic spreads through party amid fears hard-left MP could win . Senior Labour MP said he is gathering support for move to stop contest
    Jeremy Corbyn's odds to be next leader have reduced from 100/1 to 5/1
    Canvassing support for a 'petition letter' to be sent to acting leader

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3166835/MPs-plot-scrap-leadership-race-Corbyn-pulls-ahead-two-polls-Panic-spreads-party-amid-fears-hard-left-MP-win.html
  • Options

What we do know is that the SNP are a completely unprincipled lot and you should trust them at your peril.

Agree, but I'm not sure anyone outside of Scotland trusted them anyway.

• Options
    edited July 2015
    Roger said:

Anyone know how to get Scottish nationality? If the UK votes to leave the EU I'm certain Scotland will demand a second referendum. For those of us who would rather remain in the EU than 'Little England' this would seem the best opportunity

As an aside; Who'd have thought we'd see another 'Thatcher government' in any of our lifetimes? All the nasty little prejudices that made them pariahs all these years are back with a vengiance.

It's 1983 all over again. An enfeebled Labour party destroyed from within have allowed the Wooden Horse of Consevatism back. How Steve Hilton fooled us all....

What I find interesting about your rant is that anyone with a different view to you is simply a "little Englander".

Little Englanders have rights too you know and the last time I checked had a vote as well as the right to cast it as they saw fit. Democracy I think it's called?
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    Roger said:

And whose fault is that ? Really you do talk some tosh, did the Conservative force Labour to elect EdM as leader ? Did the Conservatives make Emily Thornbury make her comments about white vans and union jacks ? Did the Conservatives make Ed deny there was any problems with Labour spending on TV ? Were the Conservatives responsible for even one of Lucy Powell's masterful PR wheezes ?

As to who would have thought we would see another government like the current one, that would be 36.1% of the electorate, or putting it another way, 7.1% more than wanted to see another Footite Labour government.
  • Options
    Innocent_AbroadInnocent_Abroad Posts: 3,294

Agree, but I'm not sure anyone outside of Scotland trusted them anyway.

An SNP leader who doesn't get constant abuse from the English isn't doing their job.

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969
    Roger said:

What an absurd comment. Exactly like people threatening to leave the U.S. if Bush won (or Obama, although the overlap is probably small).
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

This is a very poor poll for the Conservatives and Libdems, and an excellent one for Labour. Earlier this year, at the general election, the Cons and Libs got twice as many seats as Labour. Now they can't even match them.

I take it you missed the three additional Tory members. There's a bigger surge hidden in plain view!!! ;)
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    O/T but a very fair question.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/11747759/If-you-can-walk-do-you-need-a-mobility-scooter.html

"We have more scooters than any other country in Europe. .... What’s worse, they do not have to be insured, so that, often, when they send pedestrians flying – the elderly and children are vulnerable – scooter owners cannot afford to pay the damages. No testing is required and, incredibly, some drivers can’t even see properly. .......

But other users are capable of walking, though they may be overweight, otherwise unhealthy, or what the Scots call “daftees”. They use a scooter because when they walk they get tired and out-of-breath, and they prefer to sit down, open the throttle and feel the breeze in their hair (maybe smoking a fag, like someone in that TV programme).

This is not a particularly sensible approach to bad health, or a good use of public money, in those cases where the machines are subsidised. (A top-of-the-line model with alloy wheels etc comes in at £6,500.) I wonder if it's a sign of our society's decadence.

Sitting down all the time makes you ill. According to the NHS website, it weakens the body’s ability to regulate blood sugar, blood pressure and the break-down of body fat, and increases the risk of diabetes and cancer."
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Welcome back, Roger.

Labour does have a way back but it needs to face a few facts. The Jeremy surge suggests it won't.

If you allow the Dave Sparts to re-surface, you're doomed. You know them, the ones who know better than anyone else, the fifteen-year-olds who lecture the rest of us on how our thinking is wrong. The ones who know that everyone who disagrees eats babies because they've seen evidence hidden from the rest of us.

It doesn't convince. There are two responses.

Either ... "Ah, bless, I was fifteen once." or "Here's sixpence, now run along to the pictures and leave the grown-up in peace."
  • Options
    CD13 said:

Welcome back, Roger.

Labour does have a way back but it needs to face a few facts. The Jeremy surge suggests it won't.

If you allow the Dave Sparts to re-surface, you're doomed. You know them, the ones who know better than anyone else, the fifteen-year-olds who lecture the rest of us on how our thinking is wrong. The ones who know that everyone who disagrees eats babies because they've seen evidence hidden from the rest of us.

It doesn't convince. There are two responses.

Either ... "Ah, bless, I was fifteen once." or "Here's sixpence, now run along to the pictures and leave the grown-up in peace."

They sound much the same to me.

• Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Mr Abroad,

"They sound much the same to me."

That's because I'm polite.

I suspect Burnham may be the choice but Liz could make the floating voters listen more.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited July 2015
  • Options
    edited July 2015

Now this should be interesting

twitter.com/lowerhouses/status/622669385220681728/photo/1

Watching England taking a lesson in cricket is probably more interesting.
  • Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293
    Financier said:

O/T but a very fair question.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/11747759/If-you-can-walk-do-you-need-a-mobility-scooter.html

"We have more scooters than any other country in Europe. .... What’s worse, they do not have to be insured, so that, often, when they send pedestrians flying – the elderly and children are vulnerable – scooter owners cannot afford to pay the damages. No testing is required and, incredibly, some drivers can’t even see properly. .......

But other users are capable of walking, though they may be overweight, otherwise unhealthy, or what the Scots call “daftees”. They use a scooter because when they walk they get tired and out-of-breath, and they prefer to sit down, open the throttle and feel the breeze in their hair (maybe smoking a fag, like someone in that TV programme).

This is not a particularly sensible approach to bad health, or a good use of public money, in those cases where the machines are subsidised. (A top-of-the-line model with alloy wheels etc comes in at £6,500.) I wonder if it's a sign of our society's decadence.

Sitting down all the time makes you ill. According to the NHS website, it weakens the body’s ability to regulate blood sugar, blood pressure and the break-down of body fat, and increases the risk of diabetes and cancer."

It's here you see another scam. Read it, everyone has an interest in her carrying on her behaviour. It is sickening:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3166177/Britain-s-jealous-woman-used-100-000-benefits-buy-THREE-X-box-consoles-husband-away-women.html

She even has a syndrome now to blame it on.
  • Options
    hunchmanhunchman Posts: 2,591
    edited July 2015
    Agreed that the Scottish dimension to the referendum campaign will be fascinating. SNP voters tactically voting out would be a sight to behold!

Bravo to the Sun for their outing of the royal Nazi salute film. I have to confess that I didn't see a British tabloid would be so brave so quickly after all the phone hacking scandals. The full story of the abdication crisis had never been told, we may as well make a start even if it is 79 years late! And then to today's Sun headline. Whoever the former labour minister and senor mp is, I'm sure that man will be feeling quite a few more degrees insecure about the future compared to 24 hours ago.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Ah the perils of raw statistics. :)
  • Options
    Roger said:

The only nasty little prejudices on show here are yours. As for Labour's issues you really need to own them as well.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,995
    "51% of RUK voters would vote to LEAVE the EU" Fieldwork 26/6 to 3/7.

This poll predates the show of nastiness with Greece, the breakdown in EU solidarity and the flimsiness of EU promises to the UK. I suspect the next EU poll will be a shocker.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Whilst I wouldn't expect Corbyn to win the leadership contest, if the unthinkable does happen then I don't think it would be as disastrous for labour as many tories think. Why do I say this i hear you say? Well once we get into the global sovereign debt crisis from the start of October, I expect that politics will increasingly polarise into hard left and hard right positrons. We've already seen that with Greece and it always happens when economic depressions hit. Look at 1933 and how the social climate of the time allowed Hitler, Mao et al to power. Corbyn would be ideal to profit from that polarisation just as Farage is ideally situated to pick up support on the right.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Indigo said:

As to who would have thought we would see another government like the current one, that would be 36.1% of the electorate, or putting it another way, 7.1% more than wanted to see another Footite Labour government.

No Indigo that's a bad misuse of statistics. It may be 7.1% of the electorate but it isn't 7.1% of those who wanted to see another Footite Labour government. The base for that was 29.0%

7.1/29.0 = 24.5% so it was 24.5% more than those who wanted to see another Footite Labour government.
  • Options
    hunchman said:

Whilst I wouldn't expect Corbyn to win the leadership contest, if the unthinkable does happen then I don't think it would be as disastrous for labour as many tories think. Why do I say this i hear you say? Well once we get into the global sovereign debt crisis from the start of October, I expect that politics will increasingly polarise into hard left and hard right positrons. We've already seen that with Greece and it always happens when economic depressions hit. Look at 1933 and how the social climate of the time allowed Hitler, Mao et al to power. Corbyn would be ideal to profit from that polarisation just as Farage is ideally situated to pick up support on the right.

In that (admittedly extreme) scenario, the disaster for Labour would be if they didn't elect Corbyn!

• Options
    Barnesian said:

This poll predates the show of nastiness with Greece, the breakdown in EU solidarity and the flimsiness of EU promises to the UK. I suspect the next EU poll will be a shocker.

What flimsiness of EU promises to the UK? You mean the promise that the UK wouldn't pay to future bailouts and that the UK isn't paying for this bailout (as the ECB is taking on what would have been our responsibility).

Who other than a die-hard Kipper who was already voting Out will be changing votes based on that?
  • Options
    hunchman said:

Whilst there is no doubt issues over the EU financial model whatever date you predict it will happen is v unlikely to occur, given your track record...
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Barnesian said:

As I've said before, the longer between now and the vote, the better that will be for the out campaign. The eurozone crisis will see to that. What we have is a political class in Brussels that wishes to defend the euro at any cost, including ignoring the democratic will of people and nations within the EU. After all their jobs depend on the euro surviving. What's the point of Brussels and the EU without the euro? and the great irony is that by not consolidating the debt of eurozone member states back at the outset of the currency, which would have been real EU federalism, they condemned the euro to failure thanks to its faulty design that was never going to stand up to the test of time.
  • Options
    JEOJEO Posts: 3,656
    Roger said:

One can only hope the UK economy improves as much as it did between 1979 and 1997.

It is curious that the term "Little England" is used as a term of abuse by those on the left, as it emerged to criticise those who opposed colonialism and empire. Personally, I believe in my country enough that it could survive both inside and outside of the EU. Of course, we seem to be doing a much better job of ecinomic management than the EU is doing. The real danger is that our superior judgment is now perpetually outvoted by the Eurogroup, now they agree a position beforehand, and the European Council just rubber stamps it.
  • Options

hunchman said:

Whilst there is no doubt issues over the EU financial model whatever date you predict it will happen is v unlikely to occur, given your track record...
    The get out is he doesn't specify October 2015 - it no doubt could just as likely be October 2115! :)
  • Options
    hunchman said:

Barnesian said:

As I've said before, the longer between now and the vote, the better that will be for the out campaign. The eurozone crisis will see to that. What we have is a political class in Brussels that wishes to defend the euro at any cost, including ignoring the democratic will of people and nations within the EU. After all their jobs depend on the euro surviving. What's the point of Brussels and the EU without the euro? and the great irony is that by not consolidating the debt of eurozone member states back at the outset of the currency, which would have been real EU federalism, they condemned the euro to failure thanks to its faulty design that was never going to stand up to the test of time.
    I suspect we may well see steps towards ever-closer Eurozone Union and a good thing too from the financial perspective. Hostility to the USE is considerably less in many european countries and many sceptics would probably see this as the lesser of the various evils on offer.
  • Options
    felix said:

hunchman said:

The get out is he doesn't specify October 2015 - it no doubt could just as likely be October 2115! :)
    start of October this year is the turn date that I'm sticking to. When interest rates start RISING globally on sovereign government debt we'll see soon enough what the global economy is made of or not. And people like you will be what will drive the trend, being insanely optimistic that interest rates will remain on the floor for eternity at the moment. We've had enough economic history to see that nothing is eternal in economics just as is the case with life in general.
  • Options
    hunchman said:

felix said:

hunchman said:

start of October this year is the turn date that I'm sticking to. When interest rates start RISING globally on sovereign government debt we'll see soon enough what the global economy is made of or not. And people like you will be what will drive the trend, being insanely optimistic that interest rates will remain on the floor for eternity at the moment. We've had enough economic history to see that nothing is eternal in economics just as is the case with life in general.
    .. but the Governor of the B of E says they will go up by the turn of the year. This is a known.
  • Options
    hunchman said:

felix said:

hunchman said:

The Bank of England expects rates to rise at the end of the year.
  • Options
    Watching Abbott on Marr it makes you wonder why labour giver her so much air time, she is truly awful.
  • Options
    JEOJEO Posts: 3,656
    Focus groups show Labour are in serious trouble with immigration the issue voters would have talked about all night. Some of us have said this for years: ideologically refusing to change position which the voters rate as the most important issue and 70% disagree with you is, surprise, surprise, the path to electoral ruin. Labour have to get over this 'deal with the symptoms' nonsense and address the actual cause. They have to credibly pledge to reduce immigration and, given their record on it, that means spelling out concrete steps to doing so. The same goes for the Liberal Democrats if they want a recovery. Us Conservatives have more breathing room, but if we fail again in five years time it will become a liability for us too.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    felix said:

hunchman said:

Barnesian said:

I suspect we may well see steps towards ever-closer Eurozone Union and a good thing too from the financial perspective. Hostility to the USE is considerably less in many european countries and many sceptics would probably see this as the lesser of the various evils on offer.
    Including consolidating the member debts of all eurozone states including Greece?....Which is historically necessary in order for the currency to endure. If Merkel did that you'd have german citizens on the streets of Berlin quicker than I could click my fingers! Heck Kohl and Mitterand didn't dare do that in 1998 at the outset if they couldn't do it then, there isn't a cat in hells chance they could do it now. The eurozone is doomed, and the EU by extension, get over it!
  • Options
    hunchman said:

felix said:

hunchman said:

Err - I have zero debt and the only significant monies I've made this year come from the rising pound - which has increased my pension by about 35%. I'd love to see a modest rise in interest rates - which is what we shall see - in the UK and the US. Not sure it'll happen by October though.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,711
    Roger said:

prejudices that made them pariahs all these years

Welcome back Roger.

How did the pariahs keep getting re-elected?

I'm sure Nicola will be happy to extend citizenship to any tax resident paying tax on their worldwide income....
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    There's been an awful lot talked about the Corbyn 'surge' on PB, but I'm not panicking yet. Last time out David Miliband led CLP nominations, and well....we all know who won the actual contest. On top of that while CLP nominations are a good indicative of how well candidates are doing, they are not an exact indicator. Burnham is only one CLP off of Corbyn's total; and so his frontrunner status is still justified. Likewise, Cooper is beginning to close in too (my local CLP has nominated her, thankfully). @Danny565, has said interestingly (AFAIR), that Yvette has strong 'second places' across CLPs, which would chime with her campaign team saying that she has strong support across the regions, so don't count her out, either. One thing that is clear, is that Corbyn has strong support in the Labour party - whether he is actually leading the race though, is another matter. I think Corbyn is profiting from that fact there is a lack of a standout candidate of whom the activist base can be sure of improving the party's chances in a GE. Yvette so far has been something of an enigma, and the only thing Burnham has talked about extensively is immigration.

Kendall doesn't have the profile, experience, or the gravitas for the activist base (or indeed the members) to sacrifice their left-wing beliefs, and vote for her Blairism. I think antifrank made an excellent point, when he said that the Labour leadership candidates have mistakenly framed their more moderate approaches (in comparison to Corbyn) as compromises with the electorate, as opposed to being principled moderates. I think the contest has exposed not only a lack of ideas within Labour, but a genuine fear to standout or be divisive in anyway, from Burnham and Cooper - for fear of losing preference votes. So, I'm not surprised that even most Labour MPs are bored with the contest. I don't even know whether it's really worth watching the Sunday Politics debate today.

Labourlist did an interesting article, in which they queried whether the activist base is more left-wing than members. I suspect that it is, and I think that Burnham is most likely the leading candidate overall. I don't think that Burnham will win a GE - but he is obviously a more preferable leader than Corbyn, who I think in the event of being elected would probably resign within 1-2 years anyway - I do get the feeling, as the NS reports that Corbyn's bid is not a genuine one, but an attempt to move the debate leftwards within Labour. What I think any of the candidates bar Corbyn can do, is make some progress on the 2015 result. I think Cooper would be the best choice for Labour, and it's still possible, but clearly many activists are too interested in opting for what makes them 'feel good', as opposed to what helps Labour. In some ways, I don't blame Blair for reducing their influence of the very Left of the party, when seeing their behavior.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    This story in the Sun is potentially explosive:

http://sunnation.co/6014BDvCQ

Please don't play Guess Who or even draw up a shortlist of possible candidates. The risk of libel is far too high.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    JEO said:
    From that story

"The report, Listening to Labour’s Lost Voters, adds: “Suffice to say that the brand of Labour has been damaged massively by these voters’ inability to perceive him as a capable and competent prime minister. Their image of Labour as a political party with a leader that was open to derision clouded all their thinking about a renewed Labour party and what Labour needs from its next leader. These voters really struggled to imagine a Labour party with a strong, confident leader in the future.”

Isn t this a rather long winded way of saying what we all knew EICAWNBPM and additionally LACAWSTFSGETBMP (Labour are crap and will struggle to find someone good enough to be PM) ;)
  • Options
    antifrank said:

Please don't play Guess Who or even draw up a shortlist of possible candidates. The risk of libel is far too high.

Wow. You have to wonder how far this kinda of thing runs within the establishment.
  • Options
    felix said:

hunchman said:

felix said:

hunchman said:

Err - I have zero debt and the only significant monies I've made this year come from the rising pound - which has increased my pension by about 35%. I'd love to see a modest rise in interest rates - which is what we shall see - in the UK and the US. Not sure it'll happen by October though.
    I'm talking globally, not at an individual level! When I talk about rising rates, that will be rates on government debt in the bond market, not interest rates set by the ECB or the BoE or the federal reserve. Although the federal reserve will raise rates if and when the Dow takes off, although not until mid next year probably. As for the ECB they've held rates at 0.25%. Try applying for a loan at those rates in Greece as an individual or non government corporate entity! Its meaningless as far as Greece is concerned, such had been the loss of ECB control over the situation.
  • Options
    On Labour becoming irrelevant, we've been here before (the 1980s anyone?). Labour will get their sh*t together at some point, it's a matter of when, not if. Governments don't stay in power forever, and ever - at some point voters do indeed get sick of them. If Labour were to become irrelevant forever, another credible opposition would have to take their place.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,130

Who would ever have thought that the Tories were within 6/7% of labour in Scotland. The Labour Party looks to be facing oblivion.

Harsh to describe SLab approaching SCon levels of support as 'oblivion'. But fair.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,756
    Can't help but think the Nats have this the wrong way round.

Since In is more likley to win they should be voting Out.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    antifrank said:

After the royal Nazi salute story, does this mark a step change in sun editorial policy? Time to get rebekkah brooks back quick I can hear a fair few of the establishment thinking!
  • Options
    edited July 2015

On Labour becoming irrelevant, we've been here before (the 1980s anyone?). Labour will get their sh*t together at some point, it's a matter of when, not if. Governments don't stay in power forever, and ever - at some point voters do indeed get sick of them. If Labour were to become irrelevant forever, another credible opposition would have to take their place.

Absolutely. You'd think people saying that about the labour party in the late 80's and early 90's would have learnt their lesson!
  • Options
    The Royal story screamed of slow news day, more than anything else. It's a bit sad for them, that that's all they can find on the Royals, tbqf.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937
    Looks like the independence portion of the poll was 53% No 47% yes.

http://www.panelbase.com/media/polls/W7181w1st.pdf
  • Options

Can't help but think the Nats have this the wrong way round.

Since In is more likley to win they should be voting Out.

Would be fun if the tactical voting goes so well Scotland votes out by a bigger margin!
  • Options
    FluffyThoughtsFluffyThoughts Posts: 2,420
    antifrank said:

Take it down: Fuel/Fire. You should know better.
  • Options

antifrank said:

Wow. You have to wonder how far this kinda of thing runs within the establishment.
    If you read the alternative media then you'll see it runs very deep indeed. I can't commend exaro news highly enough. After all the accountants came in to the mainstream media outlets and hollowed out the investigative journalism departments, as they supposedly added least to the bottom line on a crude cost benefit analysis, then this vitally needed section of the media has found its home in the alternative media. And not before time!
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    hunchman said:

Absolutely. You'd think people saying that about the labour party in the late 80's and early 90's would have learnt their lesson!
    It's odd that the very same commentators who were sure about a hung parliament/Ed M in government, are now also sure about Labour in 2020 and beyond. Most amusing was Michael Portillo, who has spent the last several years (wrongly) predicting Ed M in government, now telling us Labour are doomed in 2020....
  • Options

What flimsiness of EU promises to the UK? You mean the promise that the UK wouldn't pay to future bailouts and that the UK isn't paying for this bailout (as the ECB is taking on what would have been our responsibility).

There is an interesting question of law as to whether or not we are liable for the Greek bailout. It turns on the construction of Council Implementing Decision 2015/1181/EU. It is true that article 1(2) of the Decision provides that:
    Union financial assistance under this Decision shall not be made available unless liquid collateral amounting to their exposure has been provided to those Member States whose currency is not the euro under legally binding arrangements such that it is immediately payable to them to the extent required to cover any liability they may incur as a result of any failure by Greece to repay the financial assistance in accordance with its terms.
    That would seem to mean that no bridging finance could be advanced until the promised change in EU law, indemnifying us from our prima facie liability to the EFSM, came into force. Thus far, EU law has not been altered so as to give us such an indemnity. So does this mean that funds cannot be advanced to the Hellenic Republic?

The answer is no. Article 1(3) of the Decision, which is plainly inconsistent with article 1(2) thereof, provides that:
    The financial assistance shall be made available immediately after the entry into force of this Decision.
    The decision entered into force as soon as it was notified (see article 5). Thus the promise of a future change in EU law in article 1(2) is a paper tiger, since the European Commission has the power to advance funds before we are indemnified from liability. Once again, Cameron has settled for a political agreement, albeit one dressed up as legally binding. This is before one even addresses the vexed question of whether or not article 1(2) is in any event unenforceable as repugnant to article 125 TFEU, which prohibits the Union assuming liability for the financial obligations of member states.
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561
    The true problem could well be not if Scotland is forced out of the EU against its will, but if England has to stay within the EU against its will. After all, Scotland voted last year to remain within the EU, in full knowledge that the Conservatives could win the next election and hold a referendum on the EU. But nobody has ever asked the English if they want to be in a union with Scotland and to be tied to Brussels because of it.

I wonder if it's possible for a country to be part in and part out of the EU? Jersey and Greenland are the two possible precedents that spring to mind, though neither is a perfect, or even very good, analogy.
  • Options

The Royal story screamed of slow news day, more than anything else. It's a bit sad for them, that that's all they can find on the Royals, tbqf.

It may have been a Mickey take. If you have watched that wonderful World at War series then I think it was the home front episode shows people dancing at the local "pally". The dance was all in lines moving round "line dance style" goose stepping and raising arms in the nazi salute. This was of course within the war not before it however Hitler was already known as "that odd little man with the funny moustache" in the mid thirties.

• Options

Was on the bus into town yesterday and overheard an elderly lady who was disgusted with this story getting out! How the royal family and the establishment must love her and her ilk who always swallow the official line every time. As they say 'you can fool all of the people some of the time, and some of the people all of the time. But not all of the people all of the time. How apt!
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

It may have been a Mickey take. If you have watched that wonderful World at War series then I think it was the home front episode shows people dancing at the local "pally". The dance was all in lines moving round "line dance style" goose stepping and raising arms in the nazi salute. This was of course within the war not before it however Hitler was already known as "that odd little man with the funny moustache" in the mid thirties.

Also check 'Allo 'Allo for plenty of post-war mockery of the salute.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Moses_ said:

LOL:-D

I've seen World at War, although not all the episodes. I think the episode I most remember seeing was on the North Africa campaign. When I was doing Germany for GCSE History, they showed some of the episodes in class. I think it was shortly after Chamberlain's 'peace for our time' declaration when the public began to distrust Hitler.
  • Options
    Have a great day everyone. I'm off for a long run in training for 6 days of orienteering coming up in a fortnight's time around Danny Alexander's fallen bastion. And I need to save up something good for my thousandth post too!
  • Options
    JonCisBackJonCisBack Posts: 911
    Roger said:

Other replies have been better than I could have managed, all is left is for me to say

ha ha ha you really don;t get it do you. Good luck ever winning again if you lot think Corbyn or anything in that direction is in any way going to appeal to ordinary people.

Ordinary people who have to cram onto a bus because £50K isn't enough for unionised tube drivers to work nights. Ordinary people who having worked all their life don't want the taxman to stop their children inheriting the family home. Ordinary people who don't think it's unreasonable for doctors on £100K+ to be available outside of "working hours".

Ha ha ha
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046
    edited July 2015
    Where to start?

I think the main reason for the Scotland v rUK differential is the Scots leaning left with the rUK leaning right. The SNP party machine are currently very anti tactical voting at Holyrood 2016 and I would think the EU ref as well, its the weaker parties who are clinging to that banner. As we get closer to Holyrood 2016 and the EU ref the messaging may change if there's a major fall off in SNP support.

In terms of the Panelbase Holyrood 2016 poll, this pre dates the budget, which given the impact on the majority of voters will no doubt impact on these numbers. As ever the Greens are the wild card in Holyrood and if they can get over 10% on the list vote that will eat into Labour and the LibDems numbers of seats - the Tories at around 15% are lucky that their geographical distribution of support will save a few constituency seats and get them a pretty stable number of list seats.
  • Options

Roger said:

Other replies have been better than I could have managed, all is left is for me to say

ha ha ha you really don;t get it do you. Good luck ever winning again if you lot think Corbyn or anything in that direction is in any way going to appeal to ordinary people.

Ordinary people who have to cram onto a bus because £50K isn't enough for unionised tube drivers to work nights. Ordinary people who having worked all their life don't want the taxman to stop their children inheriting the family home. Ordinary people who don't think it's unreasonable for doctors on £100K+ to be available outside of "working hours".

Ha ha ha

The ordinary people you seem to be referring to live in London, where Labour's vote actually went up last time. Outside London ordinary people do not have problems with tube drivers or inheritance tax.

• Options
    hunchman said:

Was on the bus into town yesterday and overheard an elderly lady who was disgusted with this story getting out! How the royal family and the establishment must love her and her ilk who always swallow the official line every time. As they say 'you can fool all of the people some of the time, and some of the people all of the time. But not all of the people all of the time. How apt!
    Tbf, it's not really a 'story' - if anything, all it actually tells us is that Edward VIII was a Nazi sympathiser (which we all knew anyway). These picture hardly tell us that the Queen, aged 7 was a fully fledged Nazi. Although, I agree that there are some who don't believe anything bad should be said about the Royal Family.
  • Options
    Over in Spain, the Catalan separatist parties have agreed a joint ticket for the Catalan elections in September and will be standing on an explicit independence platform. This is their way of getting round the Spanish constitutional court's decision to declare the proposed independence election last November illegal. If the joint ticket wins it will take it as a mandate to declare independence. That's a pretty big deal.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

One assumes that the paper are suggesting it's someone still alive yet refusing to name them?

Looking at what happened to Lord McAlpine that's a very dangerous path down which to tread - if the paper has sufficient evidence they should publish the name and pass their files to the police.
  • Options

There is an interesting question of law as to whether or not we are liable for the Greek bailout. It turns on the construction of Council Implementing Decision 2015/1181/EU. It is true that article 1(2) of the Decision provides that:
    Union financial assistance under this Decision shall not be made available unless liquid collateral amounting to their exposure has been provided to those Member States whose currency is not the euro under legally binding arrangements such that it is immediately payable to them to the extent required to cover any liability they may incur as a result of any failure by Greece to repay the financial assistance in accordance with its terms.
    That would seem to mean that no bridging finance could be advanced until the promised change in EU law, indemnifying us from our prima facie liability to the EFSM, came into force. Thus far, EU law has not been altered so as to give us such an indemnity. So does this mean that funds cannot be advanced to the Hellenic Republic?

The answer is no. Article 1(3) of the Decision, which is plainly inconsistent with article 1(2) thereof, provides that:
    The financial assistance shall be made available immediately after the entry into force of this Decision.
    The decision entered into force as soon as it was notified (see article 5). Thus the promise of a future change in EU law in article 1(2) is a paper tiger, since the European Commission has the power to advance funds before we are indemnified from liability. Once again, Cameron has settled for a political agreement, albeit one dressed up as legally binding. This is before one even addresses the vexed question of whether or not article 1(2) is in any event unenforceable as repugnant to article 125 TFEU, which prohibits the Union assuming liability for the financial obligations of member states.As much as you try and be an internet lawyer on this subject constantly quoting one misinterpretation of the law and then another to show what happens next (before moving onto a new one) you've been shown to be wrong here. Even when it explicitly says you're wrong, you keep this internet lawyer meme nonsense up. I don't know who you think you're trying to impress?

Or how that disproves what I said. I don't think any swing voters who hadn't made their mind up will have their minds made up by a decision that explicitly shows us to be protected but an Internet Lawyer decides he knows better and we're not.
  • Options

Looks like the independence portion of the poll was 53% No 47% yes.

http://www.panelbase.com/media/polls/W7181w1st.pdf

Gosh - why was this not in the thread header. It would appear to show no progress at all in the 'big question' for the SNP. They can win all the elections under the sun but the Scots are sticking to rUK with a tenacity that must be very bitter indeed for the nats to witness. Equally Slab seem to be making no progress despite signs of the UK party heading to the left. So much for Corbyn re-taking Glasgow! :)
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,987
    Good morning, everyone.

Mr. Observer, when's the vote? And is that a straightforward (ahem) theoretical Unilateral Declaration of Independence if they win the election?
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

antifrank said:

One assumes that the paper are suggesting it's someone still alive yet refusing to name them?

Looking at what happened to Lord McAlpine that's a very dangerous path down which to tread - if the paper has sufficient evidence they should publish the name and pass their files to the police.
    It says at the bottom that they did not respond to a request for comment. A bit strange to put that if they were dead.
  • Options

Over in Spain, the Catalan separatist parties have agreed a joint ticket for the Catalan elections in September and will be standing on an explicit independence platform. This is their way of getting round the Spanish constitutional court's decision to declare the proposed independence election last November illegal. If the joint ticket wins it will take it as a mandate to declare independence. That's a pretty big deal.

Good for them. The Spaniards have been playing silly buggers for long enough denying a referendum which is only stoking the fire.
  • Options
    edited July 2015

Have they asked Angela Merkel's permission ?

Bit of a pointless gesture if they haven't.
  • Options
    edited July 2015

There is an interesting question of law as to whether or not we are liable for the Greek bailout. It turns on the construction of Council Implementing Decision

SNIP
    The problem is not one of law, the problem is that the politicians act completely outside and without care for the law when it suits them politically to do so, then deal with it retrospectively.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,130
    On topic, if one is going to concoct an electoral conspiracy theory, wouldn't it be better to attach it to some logic? Why would SNP voters vote tactically to make the Scotland result conform more closely to that of the rUK, particularly as their vote has a 10th of the weight of an English one?

As it happens I think recent polling shows SNP voters as most EUsceptic, so I the In campaign will have to concentrate on those who recently voted for dependency.
  • Options

Good morning, everyone.

Mr. Observer, when's the vote? And is that a straightforward (ahem) theoretical Unilateral Declaration of Independence if they win the election?

27th September. The plan is to declare independence within eight months, if they win. Obviously it will not be as simple as that - especially as there is a Spanish general election due in December which could see the Spanish nationalist PP lose power. There has also been a decline in support for independence within Catalonia itself - to the extent that the CiU, the long-established ruling Catalan nationalist group thathas been ion power for most of the time since the return of democracy has split, with one side supporting full independence and the other not.

• Options

Roger said:

Ha ha ha

The ordinary people you seem to be referring to live in London, where Labour's vote actually went up last time. Outside London ordinary people do not have problems with tube drivers or inheritance tax.

" ordinary people do not have problems with tube drivers or inheritance tax."

There you go again roping everyone into "it's what I think so everyone else does as well" . You consistently do this with no evidence as do all left leaning commentators. It's a trait.

it's not black an white and they have other views on inheritance as they do for tube drivers as they just see them as the unions. Meanwhile commuters don't all live in London. They commute hundreds of miles daily so they certainly have an interest. Just stand on a commuter train and listen.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Sandpit said:

antifrank said:

It says at the bottom that they did not respond to a request for comment. A bit strange to put that if they were dead.
    It also says they're still a serving MP. I don't think we have any literal zombies in the Commons though it may seem like it at times.
  • Options

On topic, if one is going to concoct an electoral conspiracy theory, wouldn't it be better to attach it to some logic? Why would SNP voters vote tactically to make the Scotland result conform more closely to that of the rUK, particularly as their vote has a 10th of the weight of an English one?

As it happens I think recent polling shows SNP voters as most EUsceptic, so I the In campaign will have to concentrate on those who recently voted for dependency.

out of interest divvie which way are you thinking of voting ?
  • Options
    hunchman said:

felix said:

hunchman said:

Can anyone suggest some kind of wager that hunchman and I could have regarding the coming global sovereign debt crisis?

• Options

Have they asked Angela Merkel's permission ?

Bit of a pointless gesture if they haven't.

It'll ramp things up, but after the treatment Greece has had I am not sure many Catalans are going to believe assurances that they will be welcomed into the European family with open arms - especially as the Commission has made clear on repeated occasions that any part of a member state that secedes from that member state puts itself outside the EU.

• Options
    edited July 2015

The latest polls on independence in Spain I believe saw the No vote back in the lead. Obviously that may change but I've a suspicion that events in Greece along with a visibly strengthening Spanish economy could damage Podemos nationally and the separatists generally. The interesting group is Ciudadanos who could well pay a pivotal role in coalition after the GE with either PSOE or even PP.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,995
    tlg86 said:

This really is - or at least should be - a non issue. Scotland makes up 8% of the electorate in the referendum and that's it. If the SNP try to make this about them then it might make some people in the rest of the UK more likely to vote to leave the EU just to spite Scotland. After all, the rest of the UK had to stand by and watch Scotland get to determine the future of the United Kingdom.

So the question for the SNP should be, what do you care about more - keeping Scotland in the EU or leaving the United Kingdom? If it is the former then I suggest the SNP stay out of the EU referendum, apart from encouraging their own voters to vote to stay in the EU.

It is made up bollox by barking half witted Tories.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

hunchman said:

felix said:

hunchman said:

Can anyone suggest some kind of wager that hunchman and I could have regarding the coming global sovereign debt crisis?

Lol.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,995
    Simon, I assume you are having a laugh. Four dullards , I would rather have my nipples pierced.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

hunchman said:

felix said:

hunchman said:

I've tried suggesting bets before but Chicken Little didn't have the courage of his convictions then. Good luck.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,987
    Thanks, Mr. Observer.