Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » LD Newswire survey has Tim Farron heading for 58-42% victor

Comments

• Options
    DaemonBarberDaemonBarber Posts: 1,626
    edited July 2015
    OT - one for TSE:

Manchester police hunt Northern Irish con artist

The swindler, going by the name of ‘Brenda’ and described as short, in his early 40s and almost supernaturally self-confident is thought to have swindled an elderly Chilean in Manchester.

A police spokesman said: “The victim was told he was buying £49m worth of quality goods but on closer inspection it appeared to be a Shaun Wright-Phillips knock-off with no guarantee.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    So is comment nesting on the site broken again?
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,610
    Scott_P said:

Must be a new EU Directive :lol:
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125

Scott_P said:

@garypepworth: The trouble with Burnham & Cooper being so ready to dump on their leader in public is that they can't complain when the same happens to them

@schofieldkevin: Senior Labour source on child tax credit row: "There's no point saying you'll take difficult decisions then not taking difficult decisions."

Actually I think Burnham & Cooper have a point. Irrespective of whether Harriet is right or wrong, surely as an interim leader she shouldn't be taking any positions on Labour's direction and policy positioning? It's only a few before the new leader is in place.
    Lol - you're still hoping for a Corbyn win aren't you Mr. Nabavi you little devil. :)
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    If they'd have been prepared to leave, they may have been able to get a better deal... or left.

Does this mean Dave has to be prepared to Walk Away?
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

Mainly where he says nobody cares about the economics - only about the optics and process.

Madness writ large.

"MADNESS....? This is SYRIZA!"
    [kicks EU messenger down the well!]
    Greece and the Eurozone deserve each other.
    "Then tonight we dine in Brussels!"
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,026
    taffys said:

If they'd have been prepared to leave, they may have been able to get a better deal... or left.

Of course !

The person who is prepared to walk away is always ultimately in a stronger negotiating position, has been ever thus...
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    edited July 2015

Scott_P said:

Must be a new EU Directive :lol:
    I thought it was caused by global warming...
  • Options
    JEOJEO Posts: 3,656
    felix said:

JEO said:

That Varoufakis transcript is stunning. When the EU says things like this, how can there be any national sovereignty or democracy?

“No, no, no, this has to be a comprehensive review. Nothing will be implemented if you dare introduce any legislation. It will be considered unilateral action inimical to the process of reaching an agreement.”

Of course there is no need whatsoever to doubt the 100% accuracy of the Varoufakis recollections. None at all. Honesty and integrity are his middle names - after all he is a communist.
    I have already addressed this point in response to another forum member. However, given that you continue to respond in a rude and patronising way, I shan't be spending my time replying to your posts in future.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,213
    ICM Guardian
    CON 38%
    LAB 34%
    LD 6%
    UKIP 13%
    GRN 4%
    SNP 4%
    https://twitter.com/MSmithsonPB?lang=en-gb
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

ICM Guardian
    CON 38%
    LAB 34%
    LD 6%
    UKIP 13%
    GRN 4%
    SNP 4%

34% ! arf.
  • Options
    DaemonBarberDaemonBarber Posts: 1,626
    HYUFD said:

ICM Guardian
    CON 38%
    LAB 34%
    LD 6%
    UKIP 13%
    GRN 4%
    SNP 4%

What is the point?
  • Options
    LadyBucketLadyBucket Posts: 590
    Sorry, I am completely unable to conjure up any interest in the LD leadership contest.

I also find the Labour leadership contest totally uninspiring It's hard to see where Labour's next leader (after this lot) is going to come from. The new intake just look like 'commons fodder.'

I thought the BBC's Norman Smith's comment this morning that David Cameron's Clause 4 moment was 'hug a huskie' was a pretty cheap shot. The only leadership contender that gets it, is Liz Kendall but she stills looks a little lightweight. Yvette Cooper had her 'working class' accent on today, I noticed. She just sounds like Mr Balls and still fighting the GE and has learn't absolutely nothing.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    felix said:

Lol - you're still hoping for a Corbyn win aren't you Mr. Nabavi you little devil. :)

Not for betting purposes!
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,027
    Good afternoon (again), everyone.

Hope Lamb wins. But I'm sure the polls can't be wrong.

:p
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    felix said:

philiph said:

tlg86 said:

dr_spyn said:
    Corbyn becomes Labour leader, Kendall defects to the Tories, she then becomes Tory leader when Dave steps down...
    I don't think so. She would sit tight for Corbyns defenestration, though if the LDs make a strong recovery and Corbyn intolerable then a breakaway SDP Mk2 is not impossible.

If Corbyn becomes leader, there's no longer any point in anyone vaguely sensible - such as me, of course :-) - bothering with Labour anymore.

JC has a definite lead from those who have expressed a preference with my Facebook contacts.

I knew I had a vast number of lefty air headed friends on facebook, but it is interesting how many intelligent well meaning educated late middle aged prosperous people are expressing support for him.
    My Facebook ex-teacher colleagues are much the same - you'd need more than all the salt in the Dead sea to rely on them being representative though. Facebook and twitter are two sides of the same coin in this respect. It's refreshing to note how much the guardianistas believe in them though.
    I don't have any gripe with (most of) the intentions and desires that they espouse, just the means of achieving them they visualise are batty.

Less poverty, better health care, improved education, helping the third world (unless we want a few million more migrants), a bit of infrastructure, good affordable transport and much more.

Just JC isn't the way to get there.
  • Options
    Mr. H, are you suggesting JC is not the Messiah?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,250

I thought the BBC's Norman Smith's comment this morning that David Cameron's Clause 4 moment was 'hug a huskie' was a pretty cheap shot.

That's just his level. If the BBC are lining him up to be their permanent political editor it will be a disaster for their credibility.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

ICM Guardian
    CON 38%
    LAB 34%
    LD 6%
    UKIP 13%
    GRN 4%
    SNP 4%

What is the point?
    Well we want the odd measure of the political temperature over the summer and the polls have been thin and far between since the election
  • Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293
    Financier said:

AndyJS said:

"Liz Kendall tells parents to consider how many children they can afford"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/labour/11735544/labour-in-crisis-over-welfare-cuts-live.html

How long before Labour goes for a "one-child" rule? :)
    Will never for immigrants - they vote for Labour - but will do for WVM
    You need to remember just who tax credits and local housing allowance suited the most. Neither of them had an upper child limit. That meant a family with ten kids could apply for housing benefit the equivalent of a house with six or even seven bedrooms, depending on the sex and age of the children. Payment was based on the 50th percentile for a 6/7 (or whatever was necessary) bedroom house to rent.

This resulted in one family one year getting £147,000 in housing benefit in Brent. Then you add up the impact of £2k each of child tax credit.

You see why 70% of bangladeshi families get the majority of their income from benefits.

Gold was literally been stuffed into the mouths of immigrant families.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    HYUFD said:

ICM Guardian
    CON 38%
    LAB 34%
    LD 6%
    UKIP 13%
    GRN 4%
    SNP 4%

Peak Kipper.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Scott_P said:

Except there's a vote.

"Our official policy is that we have no official policy until after the leader is elected so we will vote for/against/abstain after 3 rounds of rock/paper/scissors/lizard/spock..."

And what is the value of an interim leader if they can't actually do any leading?

She could take a vote in the Shadow Cabinet. Collective responsibility and all that guff. Instead she seems to be trying to lead the party in a new direction, which is fair enough for a new permanent leader but rather odd for an interim leader.

Not that I mind, of course. As far as I'm concerned the more chaos, dissent and confusion at the top of Labour the better.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,302

I thought the BBC's Norman Smith's comment this morning that David Cameron's Clause 4 moment was 'hug a huskie' was a pretty cheap shot.

Send him to Wigan Pier.

• Options
    felix said:

philiph said:

tlg86 said:

dr_spyn said:
    Corbyn becomes Labour leader, Kendall defects to the Tories, she then becomes Tory leader when Dave steps down...
    I don't think so. She would sit tight for Corbyns defenestration, though if the LDs make a strong recovery and Corbyn intolerable then a breakaway SDP Mk2 is not impossible.

If Corbyn becomes leader, there's no longer any point in anyone vaguely sensible - such as me, of course :-) - bothering with Labour anymore.

JC has a definite lead from those who have expressed a preference with my Facebook contacts.

I knew I had a vast number of lefty air headed friends on facebook, but it is interesting how many intelligent well meaning educated late middle aged prosperous people are expressing support for him.
    My Facebook ex-teacher colleagues are much the same - you'd need more than all the salt in the Dead sea to rely on them being representative though. Facebook and twitter are two sides of the same coin in this respect. It's refreshing to note how much the guardianistas believe in them though.
    I just watched the Derbyshire live show with them all. See how that ukip voter was hounded? Thats why people who dont vote labour generally dont talk about it on social media very much.
  • Options
    notme said:

Financier said:

AndyJS said:

"Liz Kendall tells parents to consider how many children they can afford"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/labour/11735544/labour-in-crisis-over-welfare-cuts-live.html

How long before Labour goes for a "one-child" rule? :)
    Will never for immigrants - they vote for Labour - but will do for WVM
    You need to remember just who tax credits and local housing allowance suited the most. Neither of them had an upper child limit. That meant a family with ten kids could apply for housing benefit the equivalent of a house with six or even seven bedrooms, depending on the sex and age of the children. Payment was based on the 50th percentile for a 6/7 (or whatever was necessary) bedroom house to rent.

This resulted in one family one year getting £147,000 in housing benefit in Brent. Then you add up the impact of £2k each of child tax credit.

You see why 70% of bangladeshi families get the majority of their income from benefits.

Gold was literally been stuffed into the mouths of immigrant families.
    Yep. Restrictng child tax credit was way overdue, though I would stop it at 3 rather than 2.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    New tube strike

The issue seems to be 24 hour trains and in this case I have some sympathy with the workers involved.

They didn't sign up for dealing with people off their faces at 3am in lonely tube stations with deadly electric rails.

• Options
    MP_SE said:

HYUFD said:

ICM Guardian
    CON 38%
    LAB 34%
    LD 6%
    UKIP 13%
    GRN 4%
    SNP 4%

Peak Kipper.
    I imagine if a GE was held tommorow the result would be pretty much the same as the GE, probably Con gain 10 seats or so from Labour; Hallam could be a Lab gain though.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    Pulpstar said:

taffys said:

Of course !

The person who is prepared to walk away is always ultimately in a stronger negotiating position, has been ever thus...
    Actually, it is the negotiator who finds out the other's walk away point soonest who is in the stronger negotiating position. See ZOPA - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zone_of_possible_agreement. The first side to identify accurately the boundaries of the ZOPA should be able to reel the other party pretty much all the way up to the first side's maximal position. That is the theory, anyway.
  • Options

Sorry, I am completely unable to conjure up any interest in the LD leadership contest.

I also find the Labour leadership contest totally uninspiring It's hard to see where Labour's next leader (after this lot) is going to come from. The new intake just look like 'commons fodder.'

I thought the BBC's Norman Smith's comment this morning that David Cameron's Clause 4 moment was 'hug a huskie' was a pretty cheap shot. The only leadership contender that gets it, is Liz Kendall but she stills looks a little lightweight. Yvette Cooper had her 'working class' accent on today, I noticed. She just sounds like Mr Balls and still fighting the GE and has learn't absolutely nothing.

Someone better with paint shop than me needs to design and Andy Burnham emoticon, so we can all use "i sincerely believe what i am saying, you can see that by the way my eyebrows go up and I say 'look" when we need
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Maybe it's time for the Ronald Reagan / 1981 / Air traffic controllers option re. striking tube workers.
  • Options
    @TimGatt: Candid admission by Miliband's former pollster @JamesDMorris on party's communication failings http://t.co/gy5iOUXoNq http://t.co/5hZsKrcCTZ
  • Options
    JEOJEO Posts: 3,656
    MTimT said:

Pulpstar said:

taffys said:

Of course !

Actually, it is the negotiator who finds out the other's walk away point soonest who is in the stronger negotiating position. See ZOPA - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zone_of_possible_agreement. The first side to identify accurately the boundaries of the ZOPA should be able to reel the other party pretty much all the way up to the first side's maximal position. That is the theory, anyway.
    Meaning you should be extremely tough on your walk away point. Thatcher was great at this.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,660
    MTimT said:

rcs1000 said:

@Disraeli:

The problem was that the Greek banks were insolvent. He wanted the ECB to continue to fund insolvent banks indefinitely - something that was clearly not possible.

Why Greece didn't leave the Eurozone in January with solvent banks, and negotiate debt relief from a position of strength is one of those questions that will be asked for decades.

One thing I think harmed Greece from day one was that their negotiator was a game theory expert. I think it led everyone else to question his every move, and assume everything was planned as part of some game theory exercise. When, in fact, it was not.

The second issue was that the Greek government underestimated the effect of their negotiations on the Greek economy. The problem was that the threat of Grexit caused people to withdraw capital from the country, meaning that the Greek negotiating team was - with every day that passed - negotiating from a weaker, and weaker position.

Let's not forget the fundamental Greek miscalculation: they thought that the EU would do a deal at any price, whereas in fact 14 of the 18 other EZ countries were in the 'do a deal, but not at any price' camp, and perhaps most importantly, that was not Germany's starting bid but its maximum price.
    I don't think it was precisely that, it was the fact that they lacked/lack a credible threat. They have said they remain comitted to staying in the euro whatever the cost. Under those circumstances, what the eurogroup negotiators most fear cannot come to pass. If anything it highlights the futility of David Cameron's 'negotiations' when it's clear to all and sundry he wishes Britain to remain in the EU. It seems the EU are not swayed by 'We'll stay in but be jolly cross'.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,497
    Why do I get the feeling that Varoufakis has never had to ask his bank manager for a loan or an overdraft in his life?
  • Options
    runnymederunnymede Posts: 2,536
    'That Varoufakis transcript is stunning. When the EU says things like this, how can there be any national sovereignty or democracy?'

There isn't supposed to be. That's the point. It's incredible that so many people still don't get this.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Pulpstar said:

MP_SE said:

HYUFD said:

ICM Guardian
    CON 38%
    LAB 34%
    LD 6%
    UKIP 13%
    GRN 4%
    SNP 4%

Peak Kipper.
    I imagine if a GE was held tommorow the result would be pretty much the same as the GE, probably Con gain 10 seats or so from Labour; Hallam could be a Lab gain though.
    This poll has Tories +1, Labour +4, LD -2, UKIP unchanged, Green unchanged, SNP -1 since the election.

So there is little movement really other than a slight shift from LD and SNP to Labour
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,564
    Afternoon all,

Well everyone has be moaning how flat and dull the Lab leader election has been. Looks like it is coming alive today!
  • Options
    JEO said:

felix said:

JEO said:

That Varoufakis transcript is stunning. When the EU says things like this, how can there be any national sovereignty or democracy?

“No, no, no, this has to be a comprehensive review. Nothing will be implemented if you dare introduce any legislation. It will be considered unilateral action inimical to the process of reaching an agreement.”

Of course there is no need whatsoever to doubt the 100% accuracy of the Varoufakis recollections. None at all. Honesty and integrity are his middle names - after all he is a communist.
    I have already addressed this point in response to another forum member. However, given that you continue to respond in a rude and patronising way, I shan't be spending my time replying to your posts in future.
    Lol - so touchy these lefties - it was not the least bit rude, maybe a bit patronising. I'll try to cope without your responses. Oh and btw your response to Taffys about the honesty of Varoufakis - it was that which prompted my response :)
  • Options
    LadyBucketLadyBucket Posts: 590
    notme said:

felix said:

philiph said:

tlg86 said:

dr_spyn said:

I just watched the Derbyshire live show with them all. See how that ukip voter was hounded? Thats why people who dont vote labour generally dont talk about it on social media very much.

I noticed the 'pincer' movement on the UKIP voter as well. VDerbyshire made sure he hardly got any airtime, whereas others were allowed to speak at length.

I thought the part where VDerbyshire showed photos of the Labour leadership candidates to voters in Battersea (who voted Labour) and not one of them recognised any of them was hilarious. One woman said, "she didn't like Conservatives." I have to despair at the ignorance and some of the electorate.

• Options
    @BBCNormanS: "If we oppose everything we will achieve nothing" - says @HarrietHarman re support for curbs to child tax credits

@BBCNormanS: We opposed all the welfare bills in the last Parliament and achieved nothing - @HarrietHarman
  • Options

Afternoon all,

Well everyone has be moaning how flat and dull the Lab leader election has been. Looks like it is coming alive today!

However first we have to brace ourselves for the nailbiting conclusion to the LD leadership race on Thursday!
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    edited July 2015
    Scott_P said:

@BBCNormanS: "If we oppose everything we will achieve nothing" - says @HarrietHarman re support for curbs to child tax credits

@BBCNormanS: We opposed all the welfare bills in the last Parliament and achieved nothing - @HarrietHarman

This is not even true. They voted for far too much of the Tories' welfare stuff in the last parliament (welfare caps, the sanctions).

If Harriet is not prepared to be neutral then she should stand down now. A wafer-thin margin of victory in a DEPUTY contest from 8 years ago does not give her the right to make these kinds of decisions.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    AndyJS said:

Maybe it's time for the Ronald Reagan / 1981 / Air traffic controllers option re. striking tube workers.

You don't think the management side could be at fault?
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

A wafer-thin margin of victory in a DEPUTY contest from 8 years ago does not give her the right to make these kinds of decisions.

Technically, it does...
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

Scott_P said:

Except there's a vote.

"Our official policy is that we have no official policy until after the leader is elected so we will vote for/against/abstain after 3 rounds of rock/paper/scissors/lizard/spock..."

And what is the value of an interim leader if they can't actually do any leading?

She could take a vote in the Shadow Cabinet. Collective responsibility and all that guff. Instead she seems to be trying to lead the party in a new direction, which is fair enough for a new permanent leader but rather odd for an interim leader.

Not that I mind, of course. As far as I'm concerned the more chaos, dissent and confusion at the top of Labour the better.
    Labour are having the internal rows now that they should have had in 2010. The last Parliament really was five wasted years for the Labour party. Meanwhile, the world is moving on again and Labour need to make sure that they don't keep fighting yesterday's battles.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Danny565 said:

A wafer-thin margin of victory in a DEPUTY contest from 8 years ago does not give her the right to make these kinds of decisions.

Technically, it does...
    Actually, technically policies are supposed to be decided by votes at Labour conference :p
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400
    Danny565 said:

Scott_P said:

Labour will do much better once they get the men back in charge. A Burnham / Watson double act will put the ladies in their place!

• Options
    DisraeliDisraeli Posts: 1,106
    edited July 2015
    HYUFD said:

This poll has Tories +1, Labour +4, LD -2, UKIP unchanged, Green unchanged, SNP -1 since the election.

So there is little movement really other than a slight shift from LD and SNP to Labour

It's MoE stuff really (and that's contingent upon poll figures being believable at all).

"Public opinion polls are rather like children in a garden, digging things up all the time to see how they're growing."
    J. B. Priestley
  • Options
    @LabourList: If Labour want to be a credible opposition, they should oppose the government's benefits cap, argues @mayagoodfellow http://labourlist.org/2015/07/if-labour-want-to-be-a-credible-opposition-they-should-oppose-the-governments-benefits-cap/
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

AndyJS said:

Do you think that any group of workers should have the right to cause this much disruption to millions of ordinary people, who are just wanting to go about their business?

If the drivers want to dispute with the management then fine, but it should be proportional.

Holding the rest of the country to ransom will win them no friends in the long run.

• Options
    JonathanD said:

Danny565 said:

Scott_P said:

Labour will do much better once they get the men back in charge. A Burnham / Watson double act will put the ladies in their place!

I might be voting for Yvette Cooper.

But the point is it's for the party to decide, not for someone with no mandate or legitimacy to make unilateral decisions.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    Scott_P said:

@TimGatt: Candid admission by Miliband's former pollster @JamesDMorris on party's communication failings http://t.co/gy5iOUXoNq http://t.co/5hZsKrcCTZ

That's basically what I was saying on here. Labour did not lose because the manifesto was too left wing because no voters knew what on earth Labour wanted to do about anything. The corollary of this is the Conservatives should remember that winning on a better campaign does not mean voters are four-square behind the party.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    Pulpstar said:

MP_SE said:

HYUFD said:

ICM Guardian
    CON 38%
    LAB 34%
    LD 6%
    UKIP 13%
    GRN 4%
    SNP 4%

Peak Kipper.
    I will be interested to see the Labour odds on Hallam for the 2020 GE. I am sure someone would have crunched the numbers already but was it Tory tactical voters who saved Clegg?
  • Options
    Disraeli said:

HYUFD said:

It's MoE stuff really (and that's contingent upon poll figures being believable at all).

"Public opinion polls are rather like children in a garden, digging things up all the time to see how they're growing."
    J. B. Priestley
    Of course it is a snapshot, but that does not mean it is without use. Once the new LD and Labour leaders are in place I expect them to get more frequent again
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    edited July 2015
    Everytime I see a photo of them, my blood runs cold - the only light relief is the one in the bottom right corner with the specs, who simply looks comical.
    isam said:

'As many as 60 British women are thought to be members of the brigade and they are paid around £100 a month. '

Maybe the progressives will be spurred into action against ISIS when they see women workers exploited by being paid less than the living wage?

https://twitter.com/mailonline/status/620598760847077376

• Options
    Danny565 said:

not for someone with no mandate or legitimacy to make unilateral decisions.

Harriet has both a mandate and legitimacy. Otherwise, good point.
  • Options
    runnymede said:

'That Varoufakis transcript is stunning. When the EU says things like this, how can there be any national sovereignty or democracy?'

There isn't supposed to be. That's the point. It's incredible that so many people still don't get this.

Absolutely spot on. This is why we're not in the Euro.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@LabourList: If Labour want to be a credible opposition, they should oppose the government's benefits cap, argues @mayagoodfellow http://labourlist.org/2015/07/if-labour-want-to-be-a-credible-opposition-they-should-oppose-the-governments-benefits-cap/

Great article - all about supporting the takers and not a word about the givers. :)
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    antifrank said:

Labour are having the internal rows now that they should have had in 2010. The last Parliament really was five wasted years for the Labour party. Meanwhile, the world is moving on again and Labour need to make sure that they don't keep fighting yesterday's battles.

Fair point, but shouldn't the interim leader act more like a chairman ensuring that all voices are heard, rather than as an advocate for one particular view, and most especially not for one particular view which is not held by one or more of the main contenders for the permanent leadership? That risks putting the new leader in a difficult position.
  • Options
    @jonwalker121: Labour points out that new leader will be in place by time of report stage, allowing new leader then to oppose 2-child rule if they want
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

Pulpstar said:

MP_SE said:

HYUFD said:

ICM Guardian
    CON 38%
    LAB 34%
    LD 6%
    UKIP 13%
    GRN 4%
    SNP 4%

Peak Kipper.
    I will be interested to see the Labour odds on Hallam for the 2020 GE. I am sure someone would have crunched the numbers already but was it Tory tactical voters who saved Clegg?
    Clegg will be long gone by 2020.
  • Options

Fair point, but shouldn't the interim leader act more like a chairman ensuring that all voices are heard, rather than as an advocate for one particular view

If that's how the party constitution is written, then yes. But in this case, it's not
  • Options
    edited July 2015

antifrank said:

Fair point, but shouldn't the interim leader act more like a chairman ensuring that all voices are heard, rather than as an advocate for one particular view, and most especially not for one particular view which is not held by one of more of the main contenders for the permanent leadership? That risks putting the new leader in a difficult position.
    Indeed, from memory Michael Howard did that for the Tories in 2005, Ancram in 2001, despite being a leadership candidate and Major in 1997. I believe Margaret Beckett in 1994 did the same for Labour despite also running for leader and Kinnock in 1992 before Smith took over
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Scott_P said:

Danny565 said:

Technically, it does...
    Actually, technically policies are supposed to be decided by votes at Labour conference :p
    That's one of the funniest comments I've read in a long time.
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400
    Danny565 said:

JonathanD said:

Danny565 said:

Scott_P said:

But the point is it's for the party to decide, not for someone with no mandate or legitimacy to make unilateral decisions.

I assume the Labour party rulebook outlines this as being the limit of the Interim Party leader rather than it just being something people have come up with and that no previous party leaders have ever voted in the HoC without first having a general party vote?
  • Options
    I use this one for his *anguished* face, especially pertinent to when he's emoting at 11. :weary:
    notme said:

Someone better with paint shop than me needs to design and Andy Burnham emoticon, so we can all use "i sincerely believe what i am saying, you can see that by the way my eyebrows go up and I say 'look" when we need
  • Options
    @GdnPolitics: Harriet Harman to maintain welfare bill stance in face of Labour criticism http://t.co/BLjLo19Ax7
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

antifrank said:

Fair point, but shouldn't the interim leader act more like a chairman ensuring that all voices are heard, rather than as an advocate for one particular view, and most especially not for one particular view which is not held by one or more of the main contenders for the permanent leadership? That risks putting the new leader in a difficult position.
    Oh I quite agree. I can only assume that Harriet Harman feels that she needs to provoke the discussion.
  • Options
    Harman should do whatever she sees fit to advance the interests of her party. If anyone doesn't like it they should blame Miliband for dumping the job of picking up the pieces in her lap.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

Scott_P said:

Except there's a vote.

I agree. The electoral system flattered them in 2010. The reality was with the voters they did as appallingly bad as the Cons did in 1997. The fact this wasnt represented in the rut of seats as it did with the Cons led Labour to think they could bounce back with the Cons having to do the unthinkable, reduce spending.

They thought they could get back in. Now they are further away from power than 2010, and I think the party bigwigs know this. There must be some real fear that the membership might end up choosing JC.

As a Tory watching this, I find it hard to see in any of the leadership candidates the real vision and skills necessary to bring back scotland and the middle earners.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,537
    edited July 2015
    JonathanD said:

Danny565 said:

JonathanD said:

Danny565 said:

Scott_P said:

I assume the Labour party rulebook outlines this as being the limit of the Interim Party leader rather than it just being something people have come up with and that no previous party leaders have ever voted in the HoC without first having a general party vote?
    I think there's some confusion here over exactly what Harriet Harman is doing. She is deciding immediate strategy, i.e. how to respond to specific policies of the government in parliamentary votes, not deciding on policy (which is in any case totally irrelevant until a new leader is in place - after all, Labour cannot implement any 'policies' in opposition and won't be able to define any until they've come up with some kind of idea of the pitch they want to make to the country).

Now, it is of course true that this is sending a message about what Labour stand for and turns off their core vote. But it also highlights the key problem - if she screams and stamps and rants with all the efficacy of an angry budgerigar, that also looks stupid and turns off the voters Labour needs to appeal to.

It is open to the candidates to disagree, and indeed several have. That means that it is also open to them to say that, if they win, a pledge to abolish such things will be in their next manifesto. Then, if Labour vote them in, they will have a fair idea of what they stand for and why and how badly they will lose the next election.

I think at this stage - speaking as somebody who has never liked or rated Harman - that she is perfectly correct to be adamantly for/against, even if she is wrong, rather than just aimlessly drift. That was the mistake she made last time and as Labour elected a ditherer to replace her, they never quite recovered from it.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Scott_P said:

Danny565 said:

Technically, it does...
    The Labour Party has policies???
  • Options
    JonathanD said:

Danny565 said:

JonathanD said:

Danny565 said:

Scott_P said:

There is no such post as 'interim party leader.' Harriet Harman is, according to the rules, the leader of the Labour party until the next conference is held. The fact that she will not be leader after that is technically irrelevant.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,806
    antifrank said:

antifrank said:

Oh I quite agree. I can only assume that Harriet Harman feels that she needs to provoke the discussion.
    She absolutely does. Say what you like about Harriet Harman, and I'm not a fan, she clearly wants Labour to win.

That cannot be said for all of the leadership candidates, one of whom is a leading contender, who seem to not yet have accepted that Labour lost the election fair and square. Rather than it being a Tory money/press stitch up.

They need to work through those seven stages of grief. Fast.

Harriet is the bereavement counsellor trying to move the family on.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

At the moment she seems to be provoking the leadership contenders (other than no-hoper Liz) and other senior Labour figures into saying they oppose the capping of benefits and the limit on the number of children eligible for benefits. Since those are two popular policies, I'm not unhappy with this. I particularly liked Diane Abbott's formulation: "With her comments on the benefits cap, Harriet Harman is voicing a Tory agenda". George Osborne will be delighted with the suggestion that you have to vote Tory to get some sanity on benefits.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    edited July 2015
    So on the basis of the ICM Gold Standard Labour would gain 14 seats from the Tories and perhaps a few from the SNP. Hung Parliament on the way!
  • Options
    notme said:

antifrank said:

Scott_P said:

Except there's a vote.

I agree. The electoral system flattered them in 2010. The reality was with the voters they did as appallingly bad as the Cons did in 1997. The fact this wasnt represented in the rut of seats as it did with the Cons led Labour to think they could bounce back with the Cons having to do the unthinkable, reduce spending.

They thought they could get back in. Now they are further away from power than 2010, and I think the party bigwigs know this. There must be some real fear that the membership might end up choosing JC.

As a Tory watching this, I find it hard to see in any of the leadership candidates the real vision and skills necessary to bring back scotland and the middle earners.
    As long as Labour don't pick Corbyn I think the other 3 have a chance against Osborne in 2020, and they don't need to win back all of Scotland but 10-20 seats or so would certainly help
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    edited July 2015
    I don't think that even under normal circumstances the Labour leader can simply change or dictate policy at whim.!
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,911
    I see Kendall supports the Tories again.

#anyonebutkendall
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

JonathanD said:

Danny565 said:

JonathanD said:

Danny565 said:

Scott_P said:

There is no such post as 'interim party leader.' Harriet Harman is, according to the rules, the leader of the Labour party until the next conference is held. The fact that she will not be leader after that is technically irrelevant.
    Maybe, but she cannot set a policy which could be reversed in a few months, any policy announcements she does make should therefore be cleared with all 4 candidates. I think she was better at doing that in 2010
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,078
    notme said:

antifrank said:

Scott_P said:

Except there's a vote.

They don't. Worse 2 of them are lining them selves up as the continuity candidates leaving only the untested and unknown LK and the very known JC....

Given that I paid my £3 and as AB and YC seem to still be in denial I'm starting to think JC will win at a canter...
  • Options
    Mr. Owls, you'd rather have Corbyn as leader?
  • Options
    justin124 said:

So on the basis of the ICM Gold Standard Labour would gain 14 seats from the Tories and perhaps a few from the SNP!

Don't trust the polls.

Or Kendall
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,771
    So now Burnham says Labour DID horribly overspend.

Maybe all those PB lefties who denied this for the last 5 years would like to comment.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,013
    Plato said:

Everytime I see a photo of them, my blood runs cold - the only light relief is the one in the bottom right corner with the specs, who simply looks comical.

isam said:

'As many as 60 British women are thought to be members of the brigade and they are paid around £100 a month. '

Maybe the progressives will be spurred into action against ISIS when they see women workers exploited by being paid less than the living wage?

https://twitter.com/mailonline/status/620598760847077376

Is that a rubbish dump, with overflowing plastic sacks?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

JonathanD said:

Danny565 said:

JonathanD said:

Danny565 said:

Scott_P said:

Maybe, but she cannot set a policy which could be reversed in a few months, any policy announcements she does make should therefore be cleared with all 4 candidates. I think she was better at doing that in 2010
    But she's not setting policy. See above. In any case, any leader can put forward any policy that can be reversed at conference, and many of them do (Tony Blair springs to mind...)
  • Options
    I don't like Hattie's politics one iota - but she's Labour to her fingertips and will always man* the barricades/go out to fight when everyone else is hiding.

A very doughty campaigner. For that I have to give her a big :+1: Ma Beckett was another one who could be relied on no matter what. That they've both been bridesmaids and never the bride is a curious thing.

* see what I did there :wink:
    ydoethur said:

JonathanD said:

Danny565 said:

JonathanD said:

Danny565 said:

Scott_P said:

I think there's some confusion here over exactly what Harriet Harman is doing. She is deciding immediate strategy, i.e. how to respond to specific policies of the government in parliamentary votes, not deciding on policy (which is in any case totally irrelevant until a new leader is in place - after all, Labour cannot implement any 'policies' in opposition and won't be able to define any until they've come up with some kind of idea of the pitch they want to make to the country).

snip

I think at this stage - speaking as somebody who has never liked or rated Harman - that she is perfectly correct to be adamantly for/against, even if she is wrong, rather than just aimlessly drift. That was the mistake she made last time and as Labour elected a ditherer to replace her, they never quite recovered from it.
  • Options
    edited July 2015

Not a likely election winner but yes.

Kendall is running for the leadership of, and in, the wrong party IMO
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

JonathanD said:

Danny565 said:

JonathanD said:

Danny565 said:

Scott_P said:

But she's not setting policy. See above. In any case, any leader can put forward any policy that can be reversed at conference, and many of them do (Tony Blair springs to mind...)
    By the time we get to 3rd reading of Welfare Bill the new leader will be in place and the conference will have met.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

So on the basis of the ICM Gold Standard Labour would gain 14 seats from the Tories and perhaps a few from the SNP. Hung Parliament on the way!

ICM Gold Standard?
    aving a laff.
  • Options

If you elect Corbyn she might be the right one to lead the New SDP away from the sinking ship.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

JonathanD said:

Danny565 said:

JonathanD said:

Danny565 said:

Scott_P said:

Blair was elected Party elected at that point, I certainly do not remember Beckett or Ancram or Michael Howard or, indeed, Harman in 2010 setting policy when they were acting leader (Ancram did set out policy ideas in his leadership campaign, but Harman is not running for leader). Even a statement saying 'if we oppose everything we achieve nothing' would be opposed by Corbyn, for example
  • Options

If you elect Corbyn she might be the right one to lead the New SDP away from the sinking ship.
    The problem with this theory of a "new SDP" is the original SDP only got anywhere because David Owen, Shirley Williams and Roy Jenkins already had a following in the country. I'm not convinced Liz Kendall and John Woodcock would have the required following to make a new party a success.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,022

justin124 said:

ICM Gold Standard?
    aving a laff.
    Te new gold standard is JackW's gold plated ARSE.
  • Options
    edited July 2015

So now Burnham says Labour DID horribly overspend.

Maybe all those PB lefties who denied this for the last 5 years would like to comment.

Indeed, despite the view of some PBTories that Burnham is the next Che Guevara as far as I am aware only he and Kendall have actually said Labour overspent and shifted from Ed's position in the election. Cooper has said it was all the global crisis and Corbyn, if anything, has said they underspent!
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    felix said:

Scott_P said:

@tnewtondunn: Harman about to go on TV to wobble on her backing for child tax credits limit. Her 24 hours shows what a grim job next Labour leader has.

I think I read that the PLP although reduced in number may have a higher proportion of left-wingers and union hacks - thanks again Ed and Len. :)
    These myths are too generalised. My experience is that Len didn't try to get left-wingers in. In Broxtowe, UNITE ignored both the Corbynite left-wing contender (a UNISON member) and me (a UNITE member) and no fewer than 3 other UNITE applicants, in favour of a Blairite GMB member, because he gave a better interview. It seemed a fair process to me, with well-designed interviews including simulated crises to handle - much the best of the various processes.

The membership only gave the GMB guy a handful of votes, though - we all thought he was a nice guy and very fluent, but he was competing with me for the moderate vote and I had an edge as the previous candidate.
  • Options

Danny565 said:

Scott_P said:

Danny565 said:

Technically, it does...
    The Labour Party has policies???
    I thought that the LD conference has policy setting powers, but Labour and Tory ones do not.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

AndyJS said:

I think the drivers are overpaid.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,450
    UK could be on the hook for £400 million towards Greece's bridging finance. That will go down like a lead balloon