Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Burnham comes out against extending Sunday shopping hours

1235»

Comments

• Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    Indeed. Mr Corbyn has a lot of keen supporters ready to show solidarity with a rare candidate of the serious Left.
    DavidL said:

Chris123 said:

TGOHF said:

MikeL said:

Could Corbyn actually win this?

If he does, what happens?

Expect a sharp increase in sales of champers, cigars and stitches for sides.

Possible but unlikely. If there is a perception that he will win, many will coalesce around the one person that is perceived to be most likely to beat him.
    How will they know until it is too late? Remember Ed. He was astonished as everyone else when it was announced that he had edged out his brother. Without accurate polling the membership will be voting blind and if it turns out the Corbyn is in pole position it will be too late to do anything about it.

It is one of the many reasons that having unelectables like him in the contest was a serious mistake.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    There's some very good stuff in this Reuters live blog on Greece:

http://live.reuters.com/Event/Greek_Debt_Crisis_4?utm_source=twitter

See in particular the Hugo Dixon tweets (5.01 pm), the link to the Tomas Hirst article (4.43pm) and the olive oil post (yes, really!) at 4.03pm.
  • Options
    Hmm!
    Hugo Dixon
    @Hugodixon
    6 Limited euros would be doled out on the basis of perceived need, bribes or how well connected people were

See in particular the Hugo Dixon tweets (5.01 pm), the link to the Tomas Hirst article (4.43pm) and the olive oil post (yes, really!) at 4.03pm.

• Options
    Chris123Chris123 Posts: 174
    edited July 2015
    Yvette won't win the race because her candidacy can't escape the fact that it's a twofer: Vote Yvette, get Ed. Back to the future as it were with Ed playing second fiddle not to Ed but to Yvette. Or vice versa? In any case, I can't see how Yvette would not be "the continuity candidate" in people's mind. How's she going to square that circle?
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @KeirSimmons: Whitehouse intervenes in Greek crisis? U.S. President has called the Greek Prime Minister... More details soon.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Chris123 said:

Yvette won't win the race because her candidacy can't escape the fact that it's a twofer: Vote Yvette, get Ed. Back to the future as it were with Ed playing second fiddle not to Ed but to Yvette. Or vice versa? In any case, I can't see how Yvette would not be "the continuity candidate" in people's mind.

It's very brave to be discounting Yvette Cooper at this stage. Yes, her candidacy is a twofer, but the other part of the twofer is a pretty good strategist and no doubt he is advising her carefully about what to do next. I'd be most surprised if she doesn't make the weather at some point in the remainder of the campaign.
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    Plato said:

Hmm!

Hugo Dixon
    @Hugodixon
    6 Limited euros would be doled out on the basis of perceived need, bribes or how well connected people were

Obviously he hasn't heard of the existence of currency exchanges.
  • Options
    @AFP: #BREAKING Merkel: 'still no basis' for talks on new Greek bailout
  • Options
    antifrank said:

It's very brave to be discounting Yvette Cooper at this stage. Yes, her candidacy is a twofer, but the other part of the twofer is a pretty good strategist and no doubt he is advising her carefully about what to do next. I'd be most surprised if she doesn't make the weather at some point in the remainder of the campaign.

She's also the most credible candidate, which one would (naively perhaps) imagine to be an advantage.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,751
    Chris123 said:

DavidL said:

Chris123 said:

TGOHF said:

MikeL said:

Possible but unlikely. If there is a perception that he will win, many will coalesce around the one person that is perceived to be most likely to beat him.
    How will they know until it is too late? Remember Ed. He was astonished as everyone else when it was announced that he had edged out his brother. Without accurate polling the membership will be voting blind and if it turns out the Corbyn is in pole position it will be too late to do anything about it.

It is one of the many reasons that having unelectables like him in the contest was a serious mistake.
    I'm sure there will be polls (lots of them) when the time comes and those polls will show who's best placed to beat him. For some voters this will be a consideration, they won't be voting blind... That's why it ultimately suits Andy to have Jeremy in the mix. (The moment Jeremy signed up was the time I started buying Andy.)
    Who's going to pay for these polls (and who is going to believe them)?
  • Options
    Chris123 said:

Yvette won't win the race because her candidacy can't escape the fact that it's a twofer: Vote Yvette, get Ed. Back to the future as it were with Ed playing second fiddle not to Ed but to Yvette. Or vice versa? In any case, I can't see how Yvette would not be "the continuity candidate" in people's mind. How's she going to square that circle?

Every candidate has a problem:

Burnham's problem is the NHS.
    Cooper's problem is Balls.
    Corbyn's problem is too left wing.
    Kendall's problem is too right wing.

Cooper is the only candidate that doesn't have a policy problem but a personal problem.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Scott_P said:

@AFP: #BREAKING Merkel: 'still no basis' for talks on new Greek bailout

Who said that's "Breaking News"?
    Anyone playing Summit Bingo?
    http://www.politico.eu/article/summit-bingo-european-council-greece-bailout-negotiations-default-grexit/
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    Merkel: 'still no basis' for talks on new Greek bailout

What strikes me is the ridiculous convoy system that this situation has created. The world has to stop whilst the slowest, most clapped out ship attempts to repair itself.

If the Greeks had their own currency the rest of us could carry on as normal. Their economic distress would not mean anything.
  • Options
    @WilliamJHague: Pleased to start writing a regular column in The Daily Telegraph from September. Here's an example of what to expect http://t.co/CUFI8gNlS6
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

MikeL said:

If Corbyn wins I can't see him lasting the full 5 years. Surely Labour would ditch a leader for once.
  • Options
    I think Friday is crunch day, my suspicion is that Tsipras will be forced to make a decision on that day.
    Let's hope that he puts aside his infatuation with Europe and does the only decent thing, Grexit.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    MP_SE said:
    Supporters of other parties will forgive anything if it upsets ukip.
  • Options
    Paging MarqueeMark

@JamesClayton5: Wowzers - one of the reforms in the budget tomorrow is a real curve ball. More to be revealed on #Newsnight tonight.

Can you tell us what it is yet?
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Speedy said:

Chris123 said:

Cooper is the only candidate that doesn't have a policy problem but a personal problem.
    The personal is political. I don't think Labour will back a loser to win the next election, especially not the less charismatic part of the duo. Having looked at the NHS issue, I also don't think it's such a big problem for Burnham. The Mid Staffs scandal happened before Burnham was appointed. There was an independent inquiry not a full public inquiry but there was an inquiry nonetheless...

There have been no inquiries whatsoever on a whole range of issues, such as for example, how it is possible that Libya has become a failed state or how the doctrine of "right to protect" was abused to engineer a failed intervention (just to mention one closer to my concerns - there are many others).
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,447
    @Speedy:

I think Tsipiras wants out the Euro, but is too cowardly to actually put that forward as his platform to the Greek people. As a result, he is likely to get the Drachma in the most economically damaging way possible. But, hey, peoples' savings may be destroyed, and businesses go bust, but at leas he gets to blame someone else.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,068
    Mr. P, funding for a space cannon?!
  • Options
    Free Owls?

Mr. P, funding for a space cannon?!

• Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Duncan Weldon @DuncanWeldon - Mini outbreak of "deal optimism" in Brussels driven by Renzi sounding optimistic & previous hardliners saying Eurogroup was productive.

'Productive?' - Today’s Euro summit of EU elites can best be summed up as: never have so many, achieved so little, whilst waiting for someone, to pull their finger out.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,490
    Chris123 said:

Speedy said:

Chris123 said:

The personal is political. I don't think Labour will back a loser to win the next election, especially not the less charismatic part of the duo. Having looked at the NHS issue, I also don't think it's such a big problem for Burnham. The Mid Staffs scandal happened before Burnham was appointed. There was an independent inquiry not a full public inquiry but there was an inquiry nonetheless...

(snip)
    Burnham was Minister of State (Department of Health) (Delivery and Quality) in 2006/7, a couple of years before he became SoS. (1). This is often ignored by his supporters.

His inquiry was hopeless, and did not get to the truth. In fact, it was almost as if it was designed not to get to the truth.

Worst of all, he regrets the Francis (public) inquiry as it hurt the trust's reputation. So he puts the reputation of a trust that utterly failed over the health, not only of Staffordians, but of all of us. For the Francis inquiry has at least told us much of what went wrong, and hopefully the government, along with good doctors and administrators, will learn from that.

Yet Burnham wishes the inquiry had never happened.

I've said it before and I'll say it again (however much some complain): he's scum.

(1): http://www.parliament.uk/biographies/commons/andy-burnham/1427
  • Options
    handandmousehandandmouse Posts: 213
    Speedy said:

...Cooper is the only candidate that doesn't have a policy problem but a personal problem.

For me she also has a presentation problem, judging by what I've seen in hustings and TV appearances. She fades into the background, doesn't project any air of authority. In the role of opposition leader in an adversarial Parliament, that's a major shortcoming.

• Options
    Abolition of pension tax free lump sum? If the government is going to do it, this is the budget to do it in.
  • Options
  • Options
    antifrank said:

Abolition of pension tax free lump sum? If the government is going to do it, this is the budget to do it in.

That's a good guess. It's an anomaly, and makes even less sense than ever now that Osborne has introduced so much more flexibility in how you can use pension funds.

From a personal point of view, though, I hope you've guessed wrong!
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,308
    Scott_P said:

Paging MarqueeMark

@JamesClayton5: Wowzers - one of the reforms in the budget tomorrow is a real curve ball. More to be revealed on #Newsnight tonight.

Oh, I am so tempted... But I don't know how easy it would be to identify my source. So best not....!
  • Options
    edited July 2015

Chris123 said:

Speedy said:

Chris123 said:

(snip)
    Burnham was Minister of State (Department of Health) (Delivery and Quality) in 2006/7, a couple of years before he became SoS. (1). This is often ignored by his supporters.

His inquiry was hopeless, and did not get to the truth. In fact, it was almost as if it was designed not to get to the truth.

Worst of all, he regrets the Francis (public) inquiry as it hurt the trust's reputation. So he puts the reputation of a trust that utterly failed over the health, not only of Staffordians, but of all of us. For the Francis inquiry has at least told us much of what went wrong, and hopefully the government, along with good doctors and administrators, will learn from that.

Yet Burnham wishes the inquiry had never happened.

I've said it before and I'll say it again (however much some complain): he's scum.

(1): http://www.parliament.uk/biographies/commons/andy-burnham/1427
    You're entitled to your opinion, of course. From my understanding, Burnham ordered an inquiry against civil service advice so that there was no suppression... The (later) public inquiry by Francis found that "there is no evidence that any minister received or ignored advice that would have led to safer outcomes. No criticism of the conduct of any minister is intended in this report's findings." Thus, I fail to see scandalous behavior by Burnham in this matter.
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046
    As for the SLAB leadership contest, I don’t think the result will have much impact on how SLAB performs in Holyrood 2016. Kezia is the party machine candidate and currently 1/16 with Ladbrokes, with Ken currently at 7/1.

Under the old election rules Kezia would have been a shoo-in, however as this time round its a one member one vote election, there’s still scope for the race to be closer than the odds would suggest. SLAB are still being cagey about membership numbers, but 15,500 has been circulating as the current figure. Interestingly in 2011 leadership election Ken won over 50% of the membership vote in the first round. I’ve bet £50 on Ken to keep me interested.

As ever there's always scope for a candidate to put their foot in it, for example:

https://twitter.com/rosscolquhoun/status/618463357931266053
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,577

Scott_P said:

Paging MarqueeMark

Oh, I am so tempted... But I don't know how easy it would be to identify my source. So best not....!
    Is it something very 'brave' or just unexpected?
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,068
    Only slightly into tennis, which is a good thing because I think I'd be bored with Serena Williams' continual victories. Even as a Schumacher fan (at the time) I got bored when he was cruising to title after title.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091

Only slightly into tennis, which is a good thing because I think I'd be bored with Serena Williams' continual victories. Even as a Schumacher fan (at the time) I got bored when he was cruising to title after title.

It says it all that Sharapova is in many ways the biggest rival Serena has, yet she hasn't beaten her in 11 years(!!).
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited July 2015
    Don't know if this has been commented on yet.

So I've just been looking at the Scotland Panelbase poll for the Sunday times to look at the breakdown for the
    "Majority of Scots think people born outside Scotland shouldn't et a vote in IndyRef 2" headline

Excluding DKs:
    60% of 2014 Yes voters think everyone should get a vote
    46% of 2014 No voters think that everyone should get a vote

Which is very interesting in my view as both groups are taking a position which works against their voting intention.
  • Options
    Hat tip to the Speccie for this Guardian gem, one of the finest in the series:

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/jul/04/barbecue-american-tradition-enslaved-africans-native-americans

• Options
    JEOJEO Posts: 3,656
    MP_SE said:
    That is truly sickening from the EU. What on Earth were they thinking?
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,490
    Chris123 said:

You're entitled to your opinion, of course. From my understanding, Burnham ordered an inquiry against civil service advice so that there was no suppression... The (later) public inquiry by Francis found that "there is no evidence that any minister received or ignored advice that would have led to safer outcomes. No criticism of the conduct of any minister is intended in this report's findings." Thus, I fail to see scandalous behavior by Burnham in this matter.

You miss the point. It is not what happened at Stafford; although his supporters are disingenuous when they say: "it happened before he was in the department."

It is about the inquiries. The first inquiry was not good enough; that is why the public inquiry came up with so many more useful recommendations. A major factor in the Stafford scandal was about cover-ups (yet alone the mistreatment of locals trying to get to the truth), so it was obvious only a public inquiry would get their trust.

Francis held the previous, limited, inquiry, and he criticised its remit. This led the coalition to start the public inquiry.

But the real thing that damns Burnham were his comments at the end of last year. Whilst he calls for an inquiry into Hilsborough (rightly), and even into parts of the miners' strike, he regrets the reputational damage to the trust that the public inquiry caused.

You know what? The trust can go f**k itself. It failed. It deserves all the bad reputation it gets.

And so can Burnham, a piece of scum who puts a trust's reputation before our health.

(BTW, it is well worth reading both reports, and especially the patients' stories).
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    edited July 2015
    JEO said:

MP_SE said:
    That is truly sickening from the EU. What on Earth were they thinking?
    From what I gather Tim Aker and Gerard Batten both requested a one minute silence and were ignored. In previous years there had been a silence. They only granted the silence when a Spanish MEP complained. Obviously some nationalities/political parties are more equal than others.
  • Options
    jayfdeejayfdee Posts: 618
    antifrank said:

No way,Osborne has done so much to improve pension arrangements, but a final and total abolition of tax relief on contributions is possible.
    They have been whittling it down for years, so a final break could be.
    Personally I took huge advantage of this tax break,always surprised it lasted so long,and still at a reasonable level.

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,560
    felix said:

HYUFD said:

Depends on how contracts are drawn up and measures to ensure no-one is required to include extra hours in their contract on a Sunday if it goes against their beliefs

They will be drawn up in EXACTLY the same way as now.

You do understand that businesses already operate on Sundays, right? There is no new principle here.
    HYUFD - not to dilly dally around - is as thick as a plank. We've had a whole afternoon of this nonsense based on a non-existent proposal to enforce Sunday working, entirely because of his absurd devotion to Labour's great white hope - Andy Burnham. When Adny speaks HYUFD is all over him like a rash. It has not been pleasant.
    Charming I'm sure!
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,560
    edited July 2015

HYUFD said:

Depends on how contracts are drawn up and measures to ensure no-one is required to include extra hours in their contract on a Sunday if it goes against their beliefs

They will be drawn up in EXACTLY the same way as now.

You do understand that businesses already operate on Sundays, right? There is no new principle here.
    That depends if there are extra hours to be filled and a shortage of staff to fill them, any contractual protection to respect religious belief must be automatically extended to cover these extra hours even if they cannot be made up elsewhere in the week. If the Government does not explicitly guarantee that there may also be a breach of the Unfair Contract Terms Act
  • Options
    CreidekkiCreidekki Posts: 18

Hat tip to the Speccie for this Guardian gem, one of the finest in the series:

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/jul/04/barbecue-american-tradition-enslaved-africans-native-americans

This is the finest, refined Guardian clickbait known to man.
This discussion has been closed.