Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Burnham comes out against extending Sunday shopping hours

Comments

• Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,800
    isam said:

John_M said:

AndyJS said:

IMO there should be an option in the census for people who are atheists but have a cultural affinity with a particular religion.

"Which God is it that you don't believe in?"
    That's not as daft as it might sound. I'm an atheist, but I'd be a stupid atheist not to admit that I have grown up with, and been influenced by, the Judeo-Christian tradition. I'm very fond of the CoE, love church architecture, singing hymns and carols on the odd occasion and so forth.

I feel quite protective of the church - religion comforts many people, and I think it's extremely rude to dismiss people's sincerely held faith as deluded belief in a 'sky fairy'. Militant secularists/atheists give us a bad name. No one likes a boor.
    But they're soooo clever.... They've got it all sussed. Surely that gives them the right, using logic and reason, to childishly chastise and denigrate the feelings of anyone who mildly disagrees with them?
    Hi Sam! Do you think an "Almighty" God would need to "rest" like a mere mortal?
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503

isam said:

John_M said:

AndyJS said:

IMO there should be an option in the census for people who are atheists but have a cultural affinity with a particular religion.

That's not as daft as it might sound. I'm an atheist, but I'd be a stupid atheist not to admit that I have grown up with, and been influenced by, the Judeo-Christian tradition. I'm very fond of the CoE, love church architecture, singing hymns and carols on the odd occasion and so forth.

I feel quite protective of the church - religion comforts many people, and I think it's extremely rude to dismiss people's sincerely held faith as deluded belief in a 'sky fairy'. Militant secularists/atheists give us a bad name. No one likes a boor.
    But they're soooo clever.... They've got it all sussed. Surely that gives them the right, using logic and reason, to childishly chastise and denigrate the feelings of anyone who mildly disagrees with them?
    Well, almost by definition an omnipotent being can do whatever it likes, c.f. "where does a 700lb gorilla sit?"
  • Options
    John_M said:

isam said:

John_M said:

AndyJS said:

Well, almost by definition an omnipotent being can do whatever it likes, c.f. "where does a 700lb gorilla sit?"
    Ah, but I said NEED, not WANT :)
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,560

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

If we get to 24/7 shopping there is greater risk of religious workers being unable to adjust their shift patterns to respect their Sabbath Day then anyone missing getting a pint of milk of an evening!

I think it's the other way around. If you're not working on your Sabbath Day then you need to be working at some other time, and if you close off a bunch of other times then you have less leeway to come up with a shift that leaves the day you want clear.

If everybody had the same day then I suppose you could shut everything down on that day, but there are a bunch of different religious and for whatever reason they don't seem to be able to agree which day it should be.
    Provided enough Jewish, Muslim, non-religious workers are able to work on Sunday evenings and Christians and non-religious workers are available to work on Saturdays
    There would probably be more non-religious people than Church-goers.
    Depends if you include Christmas, Easter, Weddings, Baptisms, Funerals etc, only the most devoted Atheist refuses to ever set foot in a Church
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

tlg86 said:

AndyJS said:

I worked on the 2011 Census and I can assure you that there are enough things to try and fit on to the questionnaire without having a "I'm a fair weather Christian" option!
    Yes but I think the majority of British people are in precisely that category: not religious but still feeling culturally connected to a particular tradition. The problem with the no religion category is that militant atheists love to cite the figure as part of their campaign to get rid of religious traditions altogether which I don't think is what most people want.
    Well, I appeared as one of the Three Kings in a school Nativity Play when I was about 8. I was the one wot carried Myrrh, IIRC.

Um, does that count? :)
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,079
    My old classmate, Andrew Copson has become the atheist pope:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Humanist_and_Ethical_Union
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,302
    AndyJS said:

tlg86 said:

AndyJS said:

I worked on the 2011 Census and I can assure you that there are enough things to try and fit on to the questionnaire without having a "I'm a fair weather Christian" option!
    Yes but I think the majority of British people are in precisely that category: not religious but still feeling culturally connected to a particular tradition. The problem with the no religion category is that militant atheists love to cite the figure as part of their campaign to get rid of religious traditions altogether which I don't think is what most people want.
    I think what you're talking about is out of scope of the Census. My parents fit the category you describe and they insisted I put them down as being Christians.

For what it's worth, I'm an atheist but used the free text field to declare that 'Arsene Knows', which was followed by Arsenal spectacularly collapsing and finishing a distant fourth.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

If we get to 24/7 shopping there is greater risk of religious workers being unable to adjust their shift patterns to respect their Sabbath Day then anyone missing getting a pint of milk of an evening!

I think it's the other way around. If you're not working on your Sabbath Day then you need to be working at some other time, and if you close off a bunch of other times then you have less leeway to come up with a shift that leaves the day you want clear.

If everybody had the same day then I suppose you could shut everything down on that day, but there are a bunch of different religious and for whatever reason they don't seem to be able to agree which day it should be.
    Provided enough Jewish, Muslim, non-religious workers are able to work on Sunday evenings and Christians and non-religious workers are available to work on Saturdays
    Depends if you include Christmas, Easter, Weddings, Baptisms, Funerals etc, only the most devoted Atheist refuses to ever set foot in a Church
    How many of these "cultural" Christians would refuse Sunday employment in principle?
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503

John_M said:

isam said:

John_M said:

AndyJS said:

I like the King James translation of the bible.

"And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made.".

Nothing about need. But this is the kind of tedious, tendentious crap we used to go through on alt.atheism (mainly pulverising young earth creationists), I shall graciously bow out and allow you the final word.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

Why the eff has George Osborne scheduled the budget at the same time as the first day of the first Ashes test?

I'll remember this during the next Tory leadership election.

Why the eff has George Osborne scheduled the emergency budget at the same time as Greece brings its bailout proposals forward
    Not sure if serious...
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,741

isam said:

John_M said:

AndyJS said:

What if God was one of us
    Just a slob like one of us
    Just a stranger on the bus
    Trying to make His way home
  • Options
    John_M said:

John_M said:

isam said:

John_M said:

AndyJS said:

"And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made.".

Nothing about need. But this is the kind of tedious, tendentious crap we used to go through on alt.atheism (mainly pulverising young earth creationists), I shall graciously bow out and allow you the final word.
    Um, OK then :)

Keep Sunday Sexual :lol:
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,751

DavidL said:

Well they either make a sufficient turn to justify that labour or they don't. If they don't the taxpayer cannot be expected to make up the shortfall for them indefinitely. It may well encourage them to try to increase the productivity of their workforce which would clearly be a good thing. This might reduce employment at the margins but the jobs market is exceptionally buoyant at the moment so this is unlikely to cause unemployment.

In economic terms encouraging unproductive employers who are inefficient in their use of labour by state subsidy is an inappropriate use of resources and makes it more difficult for better employers to find and train the labour they need.

This is going to be a matter of judgment over time and I fully accept that we would need to keep the NMW under review by reference to the jobs market. At the moment it looks like a correct and relatively painless way of making necessary cuts to welfare spending.

I'm quite OK with the taxpayer taking a big step back, but I'd hope to see corresponding tax cuts of the government taking less off the companies and people too then. As someone who helps run a small business we give more money to the government than any other supplier or employees. There is no state subsidy here, we pay our own wages to our employees and don't get a single penny back off the State to pay for the wages. If the government pays Child Tax Credits as a form of welfare then that has nothing to do with us and is not a subsidy to us or any large The idea there is a subsidy is just factually incorrect - I'd like you to show a single payment to employers from the State rather than the other way around.
    Let's assume for the moment that the concept of a living wage has a real meaning. Big assumption I know but for the sake of the exercise. You employ someone for less than the living wage. How do they manage to work for you? Well, in many cases they can afford to supply you with that labour because the State tops up their income with WTC or CTC.

If the State did not do this then they would (on the same hypothesis) have to work somewhere else for more or move somewhere cheaper so they can afford to work for the minimum wage. To say that CTC has "nothing to do with us" is simply incorrect. It increases the supply of labour to you and reduces its price.
  • Options

isam said:

John_M said:

AndyJS said:

[Tries in vain to stop self writing "What if God WERE one of us"]
  • Options
    Chris123Chris123 Posts: 174
    edited July 2015
    I think we're getting sidetracked here. This issue is not a game changer - far from it. There may be some voters that care strongly about this issue, who could be won over and I think that they're in favor of keeping the status quo. I also suspect that this is something that holds true for conservatives. They'd rather prefer things as they are. So, if any anything, this is a smart move by Andy to reach out to another set of narrow voters driven by one policy issue.

As a libertarian, I personally am in favor of longer opening hours. Having talked to retailers in other countries about this topic, I get the distinct impression that they generally seem to think longer opening hours will not result in more turnover overall (it will just be more spread out) but that it will increase their working hours and labour costs. The situation is different in border regions where people can readily travel to another country with different laws but that does not hold true here.
  • Options
    FlightpathlFlightpathl Posts: 1,243
    notme said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

felix said:

HYUFD said:

felix said:

Classic old Labour from Burnham - Mandy will be choking on his guacamole -oops I mean mushy peas :)

snip

snip
    snip
    Sunday trading is not a left or right issue but a religious v secular issue, liberals and libertartians in both parties would back extending hours, social conservatives and traditionalists would oppose it.
    Is it wrong for the NHS to treat people on Sundays? To get the best value out of its static facilities and to treat people more quickly the NHS is moving to ''24/7''.
    To open more on Sundays, businesses will have to employ more people and arrange shifts to accommodate rotation. Pay will be higher for Sunday working.
    Many industries work shifts including weekend shifts if the demand is there. Even if such shifts do not include Sundays it's likely that maintenance work will be done on Sundays as a result.

It occurs to be that if opening hours are liberalised to literally 24/7 then that would mean less Sunday lunchtime shopping, as people shop at 11pm on Saturday (or Monday, or whatever) night say. This liberalisation might free up Sundays for many people. Burnham following the union line should be no surprise, nor should the aim of unions to bankrupt businesses rather than support them. If Montgomerie opposes a tory measure that should be the least surprise of all, he is after all as thick as a plank.
    You are confusing a Tory measure with a laissez-faire measure, the 2 are not the same, many Tories are still churchgoing traditionalist Christians. Even Jesus made an exception for healing on the Day of Rest
    Did the Lord make an exception for stores less than 3,000 sq feet?
    And we do heal people on this 'day of rest'. As it is -- ''The proposal expected in Wednesday's Budget could give elected mayors and councils powers to relax laws locally if it might boost economic activity... The proposal comes after larger stores and supermarkets were allowed to open for longer on Sundays during the 2012 London Olympic and Paralympic Games. Mr Osborne said decisions on similar relaxations of the law should be taken at a local level - if officials think longer opening hours would boost economies.''

I cannot believe people are getting worked up over this little bit of localism.
    Can we not stop yet again and think. When you sit down on Saturday and order something on line to be delivered Monday ... well do you think it happens by magic or is it because all sorts of people are working Saturdays and Sundays and early Monday morning??
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    John Bercow vs LD MP Greg Mulholland in the HoC today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIoubZxJrO0
  • Options

isam said:

John_M said:

AndyJS said:

[Tries in vain to stop self writing "What if God WERE one of us"]
    Bloody Yanks, never really got the hang of English.
  • Options
    John_M said:

John_M said:

isam said:

John_M said:

AndyJS said:

Exodus 20:8-11 'Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days you shall LABOR, and do all your work, but the seventh day is a Sabbath to the Lord your God. On it you shall not do any work'
    That is the relevant verse I believe
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118

isam said:

John_M said:

AndyJS said:

Hi Sunil! I wouldn't know
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,447
    AndyJS said:

While I don't know anything about the wrongs or rights, I'm not sure Mr Bercow was acting in a speaker-like way. Hard to think of Bettry Boothroyd or Bernard Weatherill behaving in that manner.
  • Options
    If more shops open at all hours on Sundays and Saturdays then measures do need to be taken to respect the rights of the religious in the workforce to observe the Sabbath
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

How many of these "cultural" Christians would refuse Sunday employment in principle?
    If we are to respect minority rights that has to include practicing Christians
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @BBCBreaking: Greece has provided Eurogroup with no "concrete proposal" to resolve debt crisis - Malta PM http://t.co/OG6Spj6lmd
  • Options
    Quick Grexit update:

I've heard that the Greek turned up at the Eurogroup meeting without a new proposal today. Apparently, it's not going to be ready until tomorrow.

Fair to say, European finance ministers are not pleased at having been dragged to Brussels to hear a proposal that doesn't yet exist.

And you have to wonder what the Greeks are playing at. It's one thing not to have a Plan B, it's another altogether not to have a Plan A.
  • Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019
    AndyJS said:

He really is an obnoxious pr4t
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited July 2015
    Oil prices are tumbling again:

http://www.bloomberg.com/energy
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    A leftwing view of the Labour leadership contest:

http://www.leftfutures.org/2015/07/be-in-no-doubt-jeremy-corbyn-could-win-this-contest/

Note the assumed position of Liz Kendall.
  • Options
    @rcs1000 I imagine their gasts were flabbered. Could even put off other potential suitors (Putin) off dealing with them it is that unprofessional !
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Has trading in Greek 10 year bonds been suspended? The figure has been stuck at 18.089 all day:

http://www.bloomberg.com/quote/GGGB10YR:IND

IIRC, there's no "exchange" for government bonds, it's entirely an OTC market. So, I suspect that either there are just very few (if any) transactions going or people are delaying reporting price data to Bloomberg.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

John_M said:

John_M said:

isam said:

John_M said:

AndyJS said:

Exodus 20:8-11 'Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days you shall LABOR, and do all your work, but the seventh day is a Sabbath to the Lord your God. On it you shall not do any work'
    That is the relevant verse I believe
    Back in the day, that would have been SATURDAY, not Sunday!
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    Blue_rog said:

AndyJS said:

It is weird. He has all the power (in there), so there's no need for him to be rude at all.

• Options
    HYUFD said:

If more shops open at all hours on Sundays and Saturdays then measures do need to be taken to respect the rights of the religious in the workforce to observe the Sabbath

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

What % of the workforce are "practising" Christians?
  • Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,747
    O/T Tennis for @Morris - Sharapova v Coco has gone to tie-break in the 2nd set... Hope that covers the fact that the first set didn't.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,308
    rcs1000 said:

Quick Grexit update:

I've heard that the Greek turned up at the Eurogroup meeting without a new proposal today. Apparently, it's not going to be ready until tomorrow.

Fair to say, European finance ministers are not pleased at having been dragged to Brussels to hear a proposal that doesn't yet exist.

And you have to wonder what the Greeks are playing at. It's one thing not to have a Plan B, it's another altogether not to have a Plan A.

Surely at some point the "Greek Govt." will have to reveal itself to have been an elaborate prank by the German equivalent of Jackass?
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Scott_P said:

@BBCBreaking: Greece has provided Eurogroup with no "concrete proposal" to resolve debt crisis - Malta PM http://t.co/OG6Spj6lmd

Breaking news? - As in, reported by numerous media agencies over two hours ago.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Lennon said:

O/T Tennis for @Morris - Sharapova v Coco has gone to tie-break in the 2nd set... Hope that covers the fact that the first set didn't.

Coco wins tie-break, one set all now!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/womens-singles/live-scores
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    rcs1000 said:

Well, quite. And let's not forget that Tsipras promised that a deal would be done within 48 hours of the referendum result.

Looks like the game the Greeks are playing is "whack-a-state".

It's all playing out much as expected.
  • Options

Blue_rog said:

AndyJS said:

It is weird. He has all the power (in there), so there's no need for him to be rude at all.

Weren't the Tories going to get rid of him?
  • Options
    edited July 2015

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

What percentage are homosexuals, ethnic minorities etc? In a free country you should respect minority rights
  • Options
    @Reuters: BREAKING: Greek PM Tsipras to meet Germany's Merkel, France's Hollande before EU summit - Greek govt official. More: http://t.co/MRwUoAQIIq
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

What percentage are homosexuals, ethnic minorities etc, in a free country you should respect minority rights
    So how many homosexuals would refuse Sunday employment?
  • Options

Blue_rog said:

AndyJS said:

Weren't the Tories going to get rid of him?
    Some sort of misguided attachment to 'custom and practice' in the HoC
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Well, quite. And let's not forget that Tsipras promised that a deal would be done within 48 hours of the referendum result.

As if there wasn’t enough drama, Alexis Tsipras will now make an appearance at the European Parliament on Wednesday morning: No doubt the new proposals will be delivered verbally?

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,308

Blue_rog said:

AndyJS said:

He's the classic Little Man on a Big Chair....
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

What percentage are homosexuals, ethnic minorities etc, in a free country you should respect minority rights
    Depends if they are baking 'gay cakes' ;)
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

I bet George (and the Greeks for that matter) is really glad he is not involved in this farce. Those that were conned into voting no must be genuinely bewildered.
  • Options
    O/T looking at the migrant crisis in Calais. Can't we load them all on a ferry and ship them back to Libya? I'm sure the cost of that is less than all the policing etc. After a few round trips even the most ardent migrant will think twice about trying to get to the UK/Northern Europe.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    antifrank said:

A leftwing view of the Labour leadership contest:

http://www.leftfutures.org/2015/07/be-in-no-doubt-jeremy-corbyn-could-win-this-contest/

Note the assumed position of Liz Kendall.

I see a lot of parallels in the analysis of Luke Akehurst and Henry G. Mason - "the labor insider" who's talked up the chances of Yvette Cooper. They both peddle the same (misguided) analysis that Corbyn is the "hard left" candidate, Burnham the "soft left" candidate, Cooper "the centrist" and Kendall the "right winger" believing that Cooper will squeeze through on second preferences.

I think it's a flawed analysis in a number of ways... Going for 2nd preferences is not a winning strategy... The best strategy is to reach out to as many special interest groups as possible and take the centrist ground. In my reading, Cooper is not the real centrist in this race, rather it is Andy Burnham... Cooper is the "continuity candidate" given her association with Ed Balls.

In any case, I'd discount Luke Akehurst because he's part of the Cooper campaign:

"Yvette Cooper's campaign team have released a list of MPs backing her in her bid for the Labour leadership. A source said they had more than the 35 required to guarantee a place on the ballot paper, although they are not saying exactly how many have offered their support. Former ministers Chris Bryant, David Hanson and John Healey are among the named MPs. Hazel Blears' former special adviser Paul Richards and activist Luke Akehurst will also work on the campaign, said the source, alongside regional organisers Shelia Murphy and Caroline Badley."

http://www.bbc.com/news/live/uk-politics-32727175

Of course, he's going to talk up the probability of his "horse" winning the race, just as Polly Toynbee would who worked together with Yvette Cooper. And he's trying to craft a narrative to boot...

Disclosure: I'm 15K long on Andy Burnham.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Depends if they are baking 'gay cakes' ;)
    Cakes are "neuter", surely :)
  • Options
    edited July 2015

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

You allow homosexuals to express their sexual identity, you allow the religious to practice their beliefs
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,080
    AndyJS said:

I waiting for it to be revealed that his "marriage crisis" was all a publicity stunt to stop the Tories getting rid of him...

The timing of "Sally's affair" coming out in the papers was strange...
  • Options

They are what they feel themselves to be, of course. We shouldn't be judgmental or impose old-fashioned prejudices on them.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

You allow homosexuals to express their sexual identity, you allow the religious to practice their beliefs
    How would homosexuals' expression of their sexual identity preclude them from working on a Sunday?
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 39,064
    Back to shopping ...

As the only current breadwinner in my household I am totally opposed to shops being open for any longer than they are now. In fact, I'd back fewer hours and a ban on internet shopping.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

How homosexuals' expression of their sexual identity preclude them working on a Sunday?
    Homosexuality was unlawful until the 1960s, anyway I think we have got the point am off to Wimbledon for the evening
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    Guess who is firing cannonballs at punters and betting companies today:
    http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/the-polls-were-bad-in-greece-the-conventional-wisdom-was-worse/
  • Options
    @Chris123 Crikey - Makes my position look like tiddlywinks.

Are you deep blood red on Yvette ?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

How homosexuals' expression of their sexual identity preclude them working on a Sunday?
    Homosexuality was unlawful until the 1960s, anyway I think we have got the point am off to Wimbledon for the evening
    And Sunday trading was unlawful until much more recently than that!
  • Options

And Sunday trading was unlawful until much more recently than that!

And compelling the religious to work on their Sabbath day would prohibit their practice of their belief, so we need to see what is in the Bill to protect that, anyway am off now
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

@Chris123 Crikey - Makes my position look like tiddlywinks.

Are you deep blood red on Yvette ?

Yes, I bought longs on Yvette at 6 but sold off at 3. Now I'm just long on Andy and equally short on all the others.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    HYUFD said:

And compelling the religious to work on their Sabbath day would prohibit their practice of their belief, so we need to see what is in the Bill to protect that, anyway am off now

There will be nothing in the Bill, for the very good reason that this is already well covered in existing employment law:

https://www.gov.uk/sunday-working
  • Options

HYUFD said:

There will be nothing in the Bill, for the very good reason that this is already well covered in existing employment law:

Depends on how contracts are drawn up and measures to ensure no-one is required to include extra hours in their contract on a Sunday if it goes against their beliefs
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Depends on how contracts are drawn up and measures to ensure no-one is required to include extra hours in their contract on a Sunday if it goes against their beliefs

They will be drawn up in EXACTLY the same way as now.

You do understand that businesses already operate on Sundays, right? There is no new principle here.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

But this simply must be covered in existing legislation - there is no difference between a christian Cineworld worker, or even a Tesco "Extra" (Sub 3000 sq ft shop) and a christian Tesco worker.

This is a complete red herring.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

But this simply must be covered in existing legislation - there is no difference between a christian Cineworld worker, or even a Tesco "Extra" (Sub 3000 sq ft shop) and a christian Tesco worker.

The ones I feel sorry for are vicars. They have to work every Sunday.
  • Options
    edited July 2015

They are what they feel themselves to be, of course. We shouldn't be judgmental or impose old-fashioned prejudices on them.
    "I Want to Bake Free!" :)
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Speedy said:

Guess who is firing cannonballs at punters and betting companies today:
    http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/the-polls-were-bad-in-greece-the-conventional-wisdom-was-worse/

Incredible. Still pissed that I sold my sizable position on NO to win at the last minute. The polls were off and there may have a large element of shy NO voters or the YES voters were "no show." First time in more than two decades of political betting that my last-minute instinct failed me... Part of the problem for me was that the Greek pollsters didn't publish anything about their methodology so that it felt like moving in the dark... The one thing that caused me to swing was Paul Mason's statement that some in the government expected YES to win so it seems that just about everybody must have been taken by surprise.
  • Options
    Jeroen Dijsselbloem, president of the Eurogroup, is giving his statement now.

He says that eurozone finance ministers will hold a conference call on Wednesday to discuss a request from Greece for financial assistance through the European Stability Mechanism.

He confirms that the Greek government did not submit a written request today - remarkable, really, given the urgency of the crisis now -- but will produce one by tomorrow.

• Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    I talk like that when I'm plastered. :wink:

He says that eurozone finance ministers will hold a conference call on Wednesday to discuss a request from Greece for financial assistance through the European Stability Mechanism.

He confirms that the Greek government did not submit a written request today - remarkable, really, given the urgency of the crisis now -- but will produce one by tomorrow.

• Options
    JEOJEO Posts: 3,656
    It seems like Labour, once again, are going in the direction of protecting a very specific group of workers over the interests of the general public. They did it with the miners, they did it with civil servants, they did it with teachers, they did it with tube drivers and now they're doing it with retail workers.
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966

Indigo said:

The last 'tory led government' increased the retirement ages. It also cut spending. It also put up VAT. The current tory govt is cutting benefits spending and searching out tax avoidance.
    But hey lets let Greece and the Greeks get away with it.
    I imagine official bribery as you suggest is widespread in places like africa and in the far east - probably Russia. But it should not be endemic in Europe, irrespective of the EU the Euro or whatever.

Once again I suggest that its because this govt are doing the right things to reform our broken economy and social security system that we should give it our support.

This is nothing to do with our government so I don't know why you felt the need to put in a quick commercial for them in your reply.

Corruption and bribery are pretty rampant in Greece, Fakelaki ("little envelopes") are commonly passed to public officials to "expedite" services or change official amounts. The same is true in Italy, where is is perfectly normal to agree the amount of tax you pay over a couple of bottles of wine, also the amount that will be passed under the table to facilitate this consideration. In my experience a cut from all these payments are paid to their boss, and he passes on a cut of his aggregate payments to his boss and so forth. This means there is no interest from the middle ranking civil servant in promoting reform,because it cuts into their own profits, and they obstruct reform as often as they can. Recent studies in Greece suggest that almost a billion euros a year are paid by the public in these sort of payments, and rather more than a billion by corporations and businesses.
    You make my point very well. As for our govt. Of course the issue and the principle behind it has to do with us. We are being urged by the left to be a bit like Greece and howl blue murder over 'austerity'. One of the first words Corbyn uttered in his recent QT appearance was 'austerity' and I think they were talking about cross mediterranean immigration from Africa! It was grotesque self serving sloganising.
    Indeed. But my original point was that bitching about the Greek government having not made the changes required to get the bailouts is futile. Increasing the tax take can't be done by passing a few laws when the entire culture of your tax collecting apparatus opposes it and will confound it at every turn, its going to take a couple of decades minimum, Italy has been trying for ages and made almost no progress, similarly a number of Asian governments. Before that can happen a government needs to get elected on a platform of making those sort of changes, and that is almost certain not to happen either because too many people profit from the current system.
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    How are the stocks of cheap fizzy Rose in the cellar doing?
    Plato said:

• Options
    I'd assume the SNP would abstain on this matter if it comes to a vote.
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    Imbibed :smiley:
    Financier said:

How are the stocks of cheap fizzy Rose in the cellar doing?

Plato said:

• Options
    HYUFD,

I am a practicing Christian and would prefer not to work on Sunday. For that reason, I would avoid taking a job that requires me to work on Sunday, whether in retail or any other industry.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,124
    Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Agreed. I fail to see why one set of workers should be protected when everyone else just has to take their chances with whatever is asked by the company.

Those complaining about Sunday working should maybe consider those whose jobs force them to work at Christmas or other bank holidays. One million people in Britain worked last Christmas Day. Most of them would rather have not but they did so because it is their job.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Unlikely
  • Options
    Blue_rog said:

O/T looking at the migrant crisis in Calais. Can't we load them all on a ferry and ship them back to Libya? I'm sure the cost of that is less than all the policing etc. After a few round trips even the most ardent migrant will think twice about trying to get to the UK/Northern Europe.

At the very least, we should pressure the French to do their job. Perhaps we could single out French trucks for migrant searches in Dover until they stop turning a blind eye.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Pulpstar said:

Unlikely
    On this matter specifically, if it's rolled up with legislation affecting Scotland that would be another matter entirely.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

On this matter specifically, if it's rolled up with legislation affecting Scotland that would be another matter entirely.

Did you not see the EVEL debate? The SNP are in full on whinge mode about not voting on anything
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    This time round I've not taken much of a betting position on the Labour party leadership contest. I've confined myself to opposing manifestly wrong odds (Yvette Cooper was way too long for a while, Andy Burnham was way too short for a while and now Liz Kendall is way too short). Like our host, I'm trying not to take unnecessary positions since the race seems quite open.

The race isn't yet half-run. So conclusions as yet are dangerous. Jeremy Corbyn and Liz Kendall have each given Labour supporters a clear rationale for voting for them. It appears that Liz Kendall's rationale appeals to too few Labour supporters at present, while Jeremy Corbyn has a stronger emotional pull for Labour supporters but is not transfer-friendly. He has a very outside chance of getting an unassailable lead on the first round of voting, but he looks more likely to be a spoiler than a winner.

Both Andy Burnham and Yvette Cooper have so far campaigned on who they are rather than where they would go. Presumably they intend moving the conversation on at some point, as Andy Burnham is apparently trying to do here. My suspicion is that the winner will be whichever of these two is able to persuade the Labour faithful that they can speak to a wider constituency while not losing sight of their Labour roots. At present Andy Burnham looks to me to be doing better but it seems all to play for to me.

Anyway, I'm not taking a position on this yet.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,068
    Good afternoon, everyone.

Put a bit more on any tie-break than one in the first set, and it was 3.25 anyway, so slightly up today.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,346
    Could Corbyn actually win this?

If he does, what happens?

Who would be in the top Shadow Cabinet positions? Cooper, Burnham, Benn, Reeves etc or a group of Corbyn supporters?

Would Cooper, Burnham, Benn, Reeves etc go along with Corbyn's policies?
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 39,064
    antifrank said:

This time round I've not taken much of a betting position on the Labour party leadership contest. I've confined myself to opposing manifestly wrong odds (Yvette Cooper was way too long for a while, Andy Burnham was way too short for a while and now Liz Kendall is way too short). Like our host, I'm trying not to take unnecessary positions since the race seems quite open.

The race isn't yet half-run. So conclusions as yet are dangerous. Jeremy Corbyn and Liz Kendall have each given Labour supporters a clear rationale for voting for them. It appears that Liz Kendall's rationale appeals to too few Labour supporters at present, while Jeremy Corbyn has a stronger emotional pull for Labour supporters but is not transfer-friendly. He has a very outside chance of getting an unassailable lead on the first round of voting, but he looks more likely to be a spoiler than a winner.

Both Andy Burnham and Yvette Cooper have so far campaigned on who they are rather than where they would go. Presumably they intend moving the conversation on at some point, as Andy Burnham is apparently trying to do here. My suspicion is that the winner will be whichever of these two is able to persuade the Labour faithful that they can speak to a wider constituency while not losing sight of their Labour roots. At present Andy Burnham looks to me to be doing better but it seems all to play for to me.

You are confusing supporters with those entitled to vote in the leadership election, surely.

As well as the collective hustings each leadership candidate is addressing individual constituency parties and answering questions from members at these. From what I have heard there is a lot more policy talked at these events.

• Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125

HYUFD said:

They will be drawn up in EXACTLY the same way as now.

You do understand that businesses already operate on Sundays, right? There is no new principle here.
    HYUFD - not to dilly dally around - is as thick as a plank. We've had a whole afternoon of this nonsense based on a non-existent proposal to enforce Sunday working, entirely because of his absurd devotion to Labour's great white hope - Andy Burnham. When Adny speaks HYUFD is all over him like a rash. It has not been pleasant.
  • Options
    nigel4englandnigel4england Posts: 4,800
    edited July 2015

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Agreed. I fail to see why one set of workers should be protected when everyone else just has to take their chances with whatever is asked by the company.

Those complaining about Sunday working should maybe consider those whose jobs force them to work at Christmas or other bank holidays. One million people in Britain worked last Christmas Day. Most of them would rather have not but they did so because it is their job.
    My mother in law was taken ill last Christmas Day, two paramedics arrived in double quick time. They were both young with kids of their own and were working a 12-hour shift.

They were fantastic, as were the staff at hospital.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    MikeL said:

Who would be in the top Shadow Cabinet positions? Cooper, Burnham, Benn, Reeves etc or a group of Corbyn supporters?

Would Cooper, Burnham, Benn, Reeves etc go along with Corbyn's policies?

The make-up of the shadow cabinet is indeed going to be interesting. If Corbyn beats Kendall, then it will be hard to defend the shadow cabinet being as over-represented by the Kendallist ultra-Blairite loony faction as they currently are.
  • Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038
    If I were Burnham I'd do the same. There isn't huge demand for the change from consumers - the demand is really only coming from people who want to increase their profits. Of course we need to support business, but it's ridiculous to suggest that's the only important aim of politics or society.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Pulpstar said:

Did you not see the EVEL debate? The SNP are in full on whinge mode about not voting on anything
    The last thing I heard from the SNP (Wishart I think) on the matter was that for instance a change to England and Wales NHS funding would affect Scotland via a Barnet consequential, and thus it would not be an England and Wales only issue.

One may argue that the Barnet formula should be scrapped, but his point seemed valid enough. Sunday working hours in England can't have any impact on Scotland so far as I can tell so would only be opposed if it was part of a wider series of measures aka "The budget" ;)
  • Options
    MikeL said:

Some PBers are stuck like absolute pigs whilst others will have made bucketloads :P
  • Options
    antifrank said:

Not a bad analysis but I think some benefit accrues from being perceived as "the front runner"... Also with union members seemingly not signing up in the same numbers as they voted in the past, the dynamics of the race are a bit different this time round... Burnham has the key advantage that he talks like "an outsider" even if he really is "an insider" (having spent most of his working life inside the Westminster bubble). He doesn't just have the northern accent, he's also able to convey complex issues in plain English without coming across as wooden (Yvette) or pedantic (Liz). His personal story is more compelling to ordinary voters than that of the other candidates... And he's telegenic. I think voters are looking for a candidate that can bring back the bacon for Labour and look completely at ease when eating that bacon sandwich... In fact, I think this race is Andy's to lose just like it is for Farron.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    MikeL said:

Expect a sharp increase in sales of champers, cigars and stitches for sides.

• Options
    TGOHF said:

MikeL said:

Possible but unlikely. If there is a perception that he will win, many will coalesce around the one person that is perceived to be most likely to beat him.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Chris123 said:

TGOHF said:

MikeL said:

Possible but unlikely. If there is a perception that he will win, many will coalesce around the one person that is perceived to be most likely to beat him.
    I suspect you are correct - Labour selecting Jeremy Corbyn as leader has been likened to a corpse, handing out hammer and nails to an old socialist to seal their coffin. They want to avoid that all cost I'd imagine.
  • Options
    Chris123 said:

TGOHF said:

MikeL said:

How will they know until it is too late? Remember Ed. He was astonished as everyone else when it was announced that he had edged out his brother. Without accurate polling the membership will be voting blind and if it turns out the Corbyn is in pole position it will be too late to do anything about it.

It is one of the many reasons that having unelectables like him in the contest was a serious mistake.
  • Options
    frpenkridgefrpenkridge Posts: 670
    Exodus 23:12
    "Six days do your work, but on the seventh day do not work, so that your ox and your donkey may rest, and so that the slave born in your household and the foreigner living among you may be refreshed."
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    OHG says "Methinks this might be a mistake."

Antifrank says "For the wider electorate, this is a vote-loser."

I think you guys might be right. Anyway I don't take seriously people with Velcro eyebrows.
  • Options
    @SophyRidgeSky: Dutch PM: "I'm very cheerless about this summit and I'm very cheerless about the fact whether Greece wants to come with proposals at all"

@SophyRidgeSky: Dutch PM: "It's up to the Greek government to come with the far reaching proposals, if they don't I think it will be over soon"
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    DavidL said:

Chris123 said:

TGOHF said:

MikeL said:

How will they know until it is too late? Remember Ed. He was astonished as everyone else when it was announced that he had edged out his brother. Without accurate polling the membership will be voting blind and if it turns out the Corbyn is in pole position it will be too late to do anything about it.

It is one of the many reasons that having unelectables like him in the contest was a serious mistake.
    I'm sure there will be polls (lots of them) when the time comes and those polls will show who's best placed to beat him. For some voters this will be a consideration, they won't be voting blind... That's why it ultimately suits Andy to have Jeremy in the mix. (The moment Jeremy signed up was the time I started buying Andy.)
This discussion has been closed.