Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » STAY likely to win the EU In/Out referendum for the same re

Comments

• Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,771
    Sean_F said:

For me, the economic arguments are important, but secondary.

Like LIAMT, the most important issue to me is sovereignty. I want to be governed by people who are accountable to the British electorate, and nobody else.

I'm stunned, how can you argue the french haven't our best interests at heart ?
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    You beat me to it. Hence my global trading stance.

Plato said:

The biggest factor I have from a positive perspective about BOOing fully is that I have innate faith and confidence in the UK's ability to trade globally.

Maybe it's my age, but I see us as a global pink-atlas player who did things wildly beyond our size and geography for centuries. And our language is the default in very many places either first or second.

I feel the EU is something to consider in our kit bag, but only if it suits our wider aims and ambitions. If not, dump it. I'm not the teeniest bit sentimental about it. And those members/citizens who remain won't stop buying from us out of spite.

Mr. 1000, but that doesn't address my question. If your argument is that EU and UK interests are aligned so we should be in a trading bloc and have the EU able to make our laws, surely you would advocate the same for the US and UK?

The EU's an indefensible organisation that will collapse like the Aetolian League.

The UK's ability to trade globally? Are you aware of the current trade figures? We aren't exporting to the big growing markets of the future and we're borrowing record amounts from the rest of the world. Whilst I disagreed with Lord Lawson claiming we should leave the EU, he was right to suggest we were far too reliant on it for our trade. Still I'm not one of those who thinks the best way to improve your writing with your left hand is to cut off your right hand.
    Not so. Our current millstone round our neck in terms of trade balance is trade with the EU. That currently stands in deficit to the tune of more than £80 billion a year. We have a trade surplus with the rest of the world and it is that we should be concentrating on building, not a failing protectionist backwater like the EU.
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869

I'll be campaigning for OUT but I fear IN will prevail. I'm interested to see what happens to the Tories after that as they will have split into two distinct camps. Cameron will campaign for IN regardless of the outcome of renegotiations, the relationship with his eurosceptics will be fraught.

Oddly, as others have alluded to, a narrow IN could play into UKIP hands

I am half-expecting something to crop up during the negotiations which results in Mr Cameron doing one of those sudden bowing to the will of the majority things - ending the negotiations with an "OK if that's the way you want it, I'll have to recommend OUT".

Then there will be consternation among the people who thought there would be more opportunities to accomplish what they want from UK & still enable him to recommend IN.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,154

I wonder how many votes we'll get on this ?

As many as are needed to get an IN vote.
  • Options

I wonder how many votes we'll get on this ?

As many as are needed to get an IN vote.
    Which is probably BOOs biggest card, vote out since they'll ask you to vote again.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,070

Plato said:

The biggest factor I have from a positive perspective about BOOing fully is that I have innate faith and confidence in the UK's ability to trade globally.

Maybe it's my age, but I see us as a global pink-atlas player who did things wildly beyond our size and geography for centuries. And our language is the default in very many places either first or second.

I feel the EU is something to consider in our kit bag, but only if it suits our wider aims and ambitions. If not, dump it. I'm not the teeniest bit sentimental about it. And those members/citizens who remain won't stop buying from us out of spite.

Mr. 1000, but that doesn't address my question. If your argument is that EU and UK interests are aligned so we should be in a trading bloc and have the EU able to make our laws, surely you would advocate the same for the US and UK?

The EU's an indefensible organisation that will collapse like the Aetolian League.

The UK's ability to trade globally? Are you aware of the current trade figures? We aren't exporting to the big growing markets of the future and we're borrowing record amounts from the rest of the world. Whilst I disagreed with Lord Lawson claiming we should leave the EU, he was right to suggest we were far too reliant on it for our trade. Still I'm not one of those who thinks the best way to improve your writing with your left hand is to cut off your right hand.
    Not so. Our current millstone round our neck in terms of trade balance is trade with the EU. That currently stands in deficit to the tune of more than £80 billion a year. We have a trade surplus with the rest of the world and it is that we should be concentrating on building, not a failing protectionist backwater like the EU.
    You're blaming the EU for selling so much stuff to us? We export far less to the big growing markets than Germany or even supposedly backward France. It's a nonsense to blame that on EU membership or to think it will magically improve if we leave.
  • Options
    That's my other one. I have no issue with a British Bill of Rights or whatever.

As an island nation last invaded in 1066 [let's excuse the whole William of Orange bit as politically convenient for Magna Carta], I just reflexively kick back on Eurojudges setting our laws, and advocate judges here using it to their own ideological ends.
    Sean_F said:

Like LIAMT, the most important issue to me is sovereignty. I want to be governed by people who are accountable to the British electorate, and nobody else.

• Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,048
    Plato said:

@Richard_Tyndall

Mr Tyndall - do you have plans/ambitions to be involved in the referendum? I can't think of anyone else so knowledgeable bar Mr Booker.

I do hope you have time to dedicate to it. An informed debate is essential - the nonsense slogans from the SNP re Sindy made me laugh/wince and cry inside. We can't let that paucity of facts happen to the whole UK.

I will do what I always do. Sit in the background doing research and informing others who are happier to he in the limelight. One thing I do agree with is that whoever leads OUT it must not be Farage and UKIP. Personally I think an elder statesman from Labour like Frank Field or someone like Dan Hannan would be good if it has to be a politician.
  • Options
    I despaired when I heard that. He needed hitting on the head by one of my Old Girl teachers. They'd have collectively made him spell wildebeest 10000 times on the blackboard as penance.

Mr. 1000, it could evolve into a country. And then collapse.

I agree with you on papering over the cracks. That's one of the major reasons we should leave now. We can have pain now, or immense pain later. If the EU collapsed now there'd probably be some low level civil strife. If it collapses in 20 years, strife will be widespread and we might even see some warfare.

Miss Plato, your post reminds me of the contrary view, as epitomised by Clegg, who asserted we'd be a 'pygmy' without the EU.

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,027
    Mr. F, sovereignty's the biggest single issue for me as well.

But there are others. Necrosis is already bruising the body politic of Brussels.

Mr. 1000, I fear you're as optimistic as a therapist attempting to purge the aggressive behaviour from a xenomorph. Interesting that we both think the UK should leave, despite our otherwise differing views.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,048

Plato said:

You're blaming the EU for selling so much stuff to us? We export far less to the big growing markets than Germany or even supposedly backward France. It's a nonsense to blame that on EU membership or to think it will magically improve if we leave.
    The EU turns a blind eye to massive state intervention in industries which put them at a significant commercial advantage over the UK and at the same time through CAP and CFP force the UK to import food from the EU when we could and should grow more of it ourselves.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,013

Plato said:

We have a hefty trade surplus with non-EU countries.
  • Options

Plato said:

@Richard_Tyndall

Mr Tyndall - do you have plans/ambitions to be involved in the referendum? I can't think of anyone else so knowledgeable bar Mr Booker.

I do hope you have time to dedicate to it. An informed debate is essential - the nonsense slogans from the SNP re Sindy made me laugh/wince and cry inside. We can't let that paucity of facts happen to the whole UK.

I will do what I always do. Sit in the background doing research and informing others who are happier to he in the limelight. One thing I do agree with is that whoever leads OUT it must not be Farage and UKIP. Personally I think an elder statesman from Labour like Frank Field or someone like Dan Hannan would be good if it has to be a politician.
    UKIP have to be big part of it, but should not front it.
  • Options
    Miss Plato, worth recalling that Queen Anne was, alongside William, monarch in 1689, and she was English. It's the only time, I think, we had two monarchs co-reigning, rather than a monarch and a consort/spouse.

[I do know the odd snippet of modern history].
  • Options
    Mr. Tyndall, not to mention the FTT to pillage the City of London to subsidise the farmers of France.
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806
    Our trade with the world grew with our dominance militarily and politically. It does require government to be active and to think strategically. It also requires unions to take a holistic view of business and it requires business leaders to plan long term. World conditions have changed but the principle remains the same.

If you look into the past and consider one of the world's biggest car makers, VW. It was formed to provide a national people's car and was resurrected after the war by a British army officer. It was initially protected from takeover by foreign interests, since repealed, but the local government holds effectively a decisive share in the company.

Concerning the EU referendum perhaps we will adopt the EU practice of having referendums until the "right" answer is obtained - whatever that is!
    Plato said:

• Options

Sean_F said:

If I was French, I wouldn't want to be governed by people who don't French best interests at heart.
  • Options
    runnymederunnymede Posts: 2,536
    All 'out' have to do is say that 'In' is the policy of Britain's most unpopular party, the Lib Dems, and that should guarantee them a landslide, I would have thought.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

If I was French, I wouldn't want to be governed by people who don't French best interests at heart.
    Hmmm Francois Hollande says different ;-)
  • Options

Mr. Tyndall, not to mention the FTT to pillage the City of London to subsidise the farmers of France.

Despite the taxes and regulation, France has a lot going for it. If it was as densely populated as England, it would be the world's third superpower.
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    edited May 2015
    @Plato

My dear old thing, I tend to agree with you - partially.

By far the greater number of inquiries we receive are from outside the EU. However, these are often quite hard and take time to convert - part due to price and part due to lack of local representation - but we are building up, especially over the last six months, an excellent set of contacts from places like Brazil, Mexico, India, Iran, Malaysia and China.

Our other main volume comes via some European majors. For instance we are working offshore Angola for Total, with Siemens (Germany) on a new industrial complex near Kuala Lumpur and Tullow Oil in Ghana. Some of these exports are classed as to the EU but the Total one will not as Total will invoice out of Angola.
    Plato said:

l
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,380

Miss Plato, worth recalling that Queen Anne was, alongside William, monarch in 1689, and she was English. It's the only time, I think, we had two monarchs co-reigning, rather than a monarch and a consort/spouse.

Mary, I think you mean, daughter of James Stuart.

Anne, also a daughter of James Stuart and monarch overseeing the Act of Union, might better be described as British.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    The http://www.royal.gov.uk/historyofthemonarchy/kingsandqueensoftheunitedkingdom/thestuarts/maryiiwilliamiiiandtheactofsettlement/theactofsettlement.aspx site is pretty good as you'd expect!

My knowledge is patchy, so have set myself the task of absorbing the big points.

I'm a sucker for historical social trivia and discovered that The Clink was owned by the Bishop of Winchester, had its own laws within The Liberty and the infamous gaol for hundreds of years. And the expression *goose-bumps* comes from venereal diseases caught from the *Winchester Gooses* or prostitutes who worked legally within its jurisdiction. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberty_of_the_Clink

I love this sort of stuff.
    The Clink was a notorious prison in Southwark, England which functioned from the 12th century until 1780 either deriving its name from, or bestowing it on, the local manor, the Clink Liberty (see also the Liberty of the Clink). The manor and prison were owned by the Bishop of Winchester and situated next to his residence at Winchester Palace. The Clink was possibly the oldest men's prison and probably the oldest women's prison in England.[1]

The origins of the name "The Clink" are uncertain, but it is possibly onomatopoeic and derives from the sound of striking metal as the prison's doors were bolted, or the rattling of the chains the prisoners wore.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Clink

• Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

And following that we imported our monarchs from Germany. Our history and culture are intimately bound to Europe.

Indeed it is when travelling outside Europe, in Africa, the Middle East, Far East and North America that I realise how european I am in terms of attitudes. I dare say that there are some parts of Europe that are even nicer than this green and pleasant land.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,214
    Give Stay has a 10 point lead, the same as No won indyref by, these figures are not that great for In considering how that referendum tightened over the campaign. Cameron will of course recommend to stay based on the renegotiation he can achieve

Alanbrooke Denmark and Sweden are still outside the Euro having rejected it in their referenda
  • Options
    Looks like a clear Yes in Ireland for gay marriage but the margin has tightened to about 60-40 from the 70-30 it earlier looked like as results moved from Dublin to more rural areas
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380

The interests of the US and UK are closely aligned. Would the EU-philes be in favour of letting the US be able to make our laws, as they are for the EU?

Don't really agree with your premise, but if I did, I'd consider the 51st state idea. Within Britain, there are numerous barely compatible interests - do London, Cornwall, Tyneside, Scotland and Ulster have much in common? If not, should we split into numerous little fiefdoms? These things are always a compromise, and Europhiles think that Europe is a reasonably homogenous place, not much less so than Britain really.

On a less contentious note (bank holiday weekend and all that, let's be peaceful), I'm planning a long holiday in the US in August, starting with the World Boardgames Convention in Lancaster, PA at the start of the month. After that, I've got some reasons to go to Las Vegas and San Francisco, and I'm flirting with the idea of hiring a car and leisurely driving across (it's about 35 hours total), stopping off at sights and small towns on the way - I've always liked small-town America despite (or perhaps because of) the cultural differences. After all, going by air takes 7 hours plus the time to get to the airport etc. But how bonkers is that? Would I be seeing lots of pretty little towns and interesting sights, or would I just be driving hour after hour across featureless cornfield terrain in blazing heat, cowering in the air conditioning? Are there sights people would specially recommend on the way?
  • Options

And following that we imported our monarchs from Germany. Our history and culture are intimately bound to Europe.

Indeed it is when travelling outside Europe, in Africa, the Middle East, Far East and North America that I realise how european I am in terms of attitudes. I dare say that there are some parts of Europe that are even nicer than this green and pleasant land.
    Almost all of my travelling is in Europe. And, it's when I'm in Europe, that I realise that Custom is King, everywhere. There is no set of "European Values".
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642

Plato said:

The EU turns a blind eye to massive state intervention in industries which put them at a significant commercial advantage over the UK and at the same time through CAP and CFP force the UK to import food from the EU when we could and should grow more of it ourselves.
    The EU's high tariffs on food imports in order to protect EU farmers are a disgrace.

The EU have pursued aggressive trade deals with some of the world's poorest countries which have destroyed jobs and decimated local industries.
  • Options
    Mr. Foxinsox, such blasphemous utterances do you no credit, sir.

As if there could be a realm happier than this sceptred isle. Wash your mouth out with soap, treacherous pigdog!

In seriousness, I do not buy that argument. Of course more distant lands seem more foreign than nearer ones.

Mr. Divvie, ha, good job there's someone here who knows his beans :p

Yes, upon checking, Mary. That's what I get for trying to show I know something about a part of history so recent as to be practically vulgar.

Mr. Runnymede, welcome back :)
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038

It was set up to stop another Franco-German war. Quite a good aim, given that the last one threatened the existence of the UK.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

You might know the odd snippet, Mr. D., but Queen Anne being co-monarch with William is not one of them. It was her sister, Mary, who married William of Orange and who became co-monarch after the Dutch invasion/coup/Glorious Revolution (take your pick on how you feel about it). Anne succeed to the Throne in 1702 following the death of Willia, Mary having died some years earlier.m
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    the fear of the unknown

Ed was a dud, nothing 'unknown' about it.
  • Options
    Mr. Palmer, tosh and nonsense, sir!

You think Romania and Britain are as similar as Yorkshire and East Anglia? Or Greece is as similar to Germany as Gascony is to Brittany? I must dispute your assertion with contempt and vigour.

The social, economic, and demographic differences are enormous, not to mention the history.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Looks like a clear Yes in Ireland for gay marriage but the margin has tightened to about 60-40 from the 70-30 it earlier looked like as results moved from Dublin to more rural areas

It's interesting to see that people who three times rejected abortion, in referenda, should vote through gay marriage.
  • Options
    That we ended up with recent monarchs with German heritage suits me fine. I think we have a great deal more in common with them than France or Italy or Spain or...

• Options
    Mr. Llama, alas, Mr. Divvie's already handed me the dunce cap and the 100 lines to write out :p

It's my own fault. I ought to know better.
  • Options
    edited May 2015

I am sure a significant number of people would identify more with the Anglosphere than Europe. And to a lesser extent the former Commonwealth countries.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,321
    Kendall now in to 3.4. She is continuing to shorten.

Burnham out a touch to 2.0.
  • Options
    Absolutely. I feel more Swiss than anything when I traveled so much across Europe by car that I kept getting intercepted by Interpol at border crossings.
    Sean_F said:

Almost all of my travelling is in Europe. And, it's when I'm in Europe, that I realise that Custom is King, everywhere. There is no set of "European Values".
  • Options

The interests of the US and UK are closely aligned. Would the EU-philes be in favour of letting the US be able to make our laws, as they are for the EU?

Don't really agree with your premise, but if I did, I'd consider the 51st state idea. Within Britain, there are numerous barely compatible interests - do London, Cornwall, Tyneside, Scotland and Ulster have much in common? If not, should we split into numerous little fiefdoms? These things are always a compromise, and Europhiles think that Europe is a reasonably homogenous place, not much less so than Britain really.

On a less contentious note (bank holiday weekend and all that, let's be peaceful), I'm planning a long holiday in the US in August, starting with the World Boardgames Convention in Lancaster, PA at the start of the month. After that, I've got some reasons to go to Las Vegas and San Francisco, and I'm flirting with the idea of hiring a car and leisurely driving across (it's about 35 hours total), stopping off at sights and small towns on the way - I've always liked small-town America despite (or perhaps because of) the cultural differences. After all, going by air takes 7 hours plus the time to get to the airport etc. But how bonkers is that? Would I be seeing lots of pretty little towns and interesting sights, or would I just be driving hour after hour across featureless cornfield terrain in blazing heat, cowering in the air conditioning? Are there sights people would specially recommend on the way?
    I've only visited the USA once, 42 years ago. You'll get to see the Rocky Mountains on the way, which are unforgettable.
  • Options
    I felt entirely at home in Northern India and Jamaica - the Commonwealth is a huge asset that we've failed to maximise for far too long.
    MP_SE said:

I am sure a significant number of people would identify more with the Anglosphere than Europe. And to a lesser extent the former Commonwealth countries.
  • Options
    I did a massive road trip [4500 miles] across that whole area about 8yrs ago. Will dig out my notes/maps and let you know.

• Options
    edited May 2015

Anne, also a daughter of James Stuart and monarch overseeing the Act of Union, might better be described as British.
    Mary and Anne had parents who were born in England, and of their 4 Grandparents all bar one were English (including two commoners) the other one was French. Going back another generation, Charles the second's wife was Portuguese, and Charles the First had a French wife. We have to go back yet another generation to James 1 (VI in Scotland) before we get a British ancestor not born in England. Mary and Anne are more English than anything else and more French than Portuguese, and more Portuguese than Scottish!

Its a common European culture behind it all...
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    This seemed required http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_monarchs'_family_tree#

Mary and Anne had parents who were born in England, and of their 4 Grandparents all bar one were English (including two commoners) the other one was French. Going back another generation, Charles the second's wife was Portuguese, and Charles the First had a French wife. We have to go back yet another generation to James 1 (VI in Scotland) before we get a British ancestor not born in England. Mary and Anne are more English than anything else and more French than Portuguese, and more Portuguese than Scottish!

• Options
    PaulyPauly Posts: 897
    edited May 2015
    Not sure if it has been mentioned but those YouGov polls do not include Northern Ireland who I would regard as quite eurosceptic and as a result believe the polling is much closer than implied in the given data.

The tweet image critically \excludes this part of the wikipedia entries and I just hope this wasn't ignored in the article intentionally.
  • Options
    SeanF Though I suppose abortion, particularly the age limit at which termination occurs, still is an even more emotive issue than allowing gays to marry
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,022
    edited May 2015

What about Mary & Philip II? If that line had continued, the monarch of England could have been the Holy Roman Emperor!
  • Options

Why would Mary and Anne be part Portugese?
  • Options
    @runnymede Welcome back. Been a long time. :smile: IIRC someone asked on here quite a while ago about settling a bet with you. Maybe @rcs1000 or someone with great Google Fu can help you here.
  • Options
    Plato said:

I felt entirely at home in Northern India and Jamaica - the Commonwealth is a huge asset that we've failed to maximise for far too long.

MP_SE said:

Quite a shame really as there are certainly a handful of former Commonwealth countries who would like a closer relationship with the UK.

I have always wanted to travel India, however, it is such a big country it would require several trips.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

SeanF Though I suppose abortion, particularly the age limit at which termination occurs, still is an even more emotive issue than allowing gays to marry

Interestingly, polling in this country shows that the groups most supportive of tightening the abortion laws, are women, young people, and Labour voters, who are also the groups most sympathetic towards homosexuality.
  • Options
    Pauly said:

Not sure if it has been mentioned but those YouGov polls do not include Northern Ireland who I would regard as quite eurosceptic and as a result believe the polling is much closer than implied in the given data.

The tweet image critically \excludes this part of the wikipedia entries and I just hope this wasn't ignored in the article intentionally.

Welcome (I see you're on post #2!). Given the small population in NI relative to GB, I don't think this would have much of an impact.
  • Options
    Betting Post

Excessively heavy wallet causing back ache? Take Morris Dancer's patented back pain remedy and lighten your load by following his two Monaco race tips:
    http://enormo-haddock.blogspot.co.uk/2015/05/monaco-pre-race.html
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,321
    edited May 2015
    Pauly said:

NI is only 3% of the UK - it will make a miniscule difference

eg:

GB - Yes 55, No 45
    NI - Yes 30, No 70

....... would give:

UK - 54.25, No 45.75
  • Options
    Rajashtan is simply wonderful. The forts, suttee monuments, the cuisine, the culture/products - it's so welcoming with the right guides.

I did three weeks and seriously considered/still thinking about it emigrating.
    MP_SE said:

Plato said:

MP_SE said:

Quite a shame really as there are certainly a handful of former Commonwealth countries who would like a closer relationship with the UK.

I have always wanted to travel India, however, it is such a big country it would require several trips.
  • Options
    Mr. D, Edward III was offered the crown of the Holy Roman Empire. He declined.
  • Options
    Pauly said:

Polling on the EU should include NI, but it's only 3% of the total.
  • Options
    Golly, this is stunning. In so many ways.
    'The delayed 17:04 train arrived and it was full and standing only. There were some comments about the incident at Twyford but nothing particularly definite.

'At around 8.15pm the announcement was made over the tannoy around Exeter with the woman apologising for delays "because someone couldn't be bothered to live anymore".

'She added that "because of this there are lots of delays, some people missing connecting travels/flights for the bank holiday".

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3094174/Sorry-train-delayed-couldn-t-bothered-live-anymore-Shocking-announcement-Great-Western-announcer-death-halts-service.html#ixzz3az2ef2DJ
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
  • Options
    edited May 2015

Don't really agree with your premise, but if I did, I'd consider the 51st state idea.

I have done a number of road trips across the USA, as I lived there for 5 years.

The Amish country of Pennsylvania is interesting (albeit often a bit touristy).

Gettysburg is nearby, and the battlefield fascinating to see for anyone who has played Terrible Swift Sword etc. It is also quite an interesting Pennsylvanian Deutsch town in its own right. The Shenandoah valley ov Virginia is pretty, and also has some well preserved historic sites. I do not know Kentucky or Ohio very well, but Tennessee has some real redneck hillbilly country, not always pretty but an interesting insight into Southern USA.

Texas is pretty flat and a long drive across, but the Mesa Verde in Southern Colorado has some interesting Anastazi Indian sights as well as beautiful mountains. New Mexico too, and I would recommend Taos and Alberquerque. You then have to choose between Arizona or the Canyonlands of Southern Utah, with Natural Bridges NP, Bryce Canyon NP, Zion NP all of which are spectacular, or Arizona with the Painted Desert, Sedona, and Grand Canyon. This is a bit more touristy, but pretty interesting anyway. The old lodge at the Grand Canyon is very atmospheric. Worth eating there even if not staying, the Tex Mex breakfast/brunch in particular.

America is best by road, though the interstate highways are often pretty ugly. It is more interesting (but slower) to dawdle along the more minor roads and stop in small town america. Expect to be made a fuss of, they don't get many foeigners through.
  • Options

Charles II married Catherine of Braganza who was Portuguese, but my mistake, this was not the direct line.
  • Options

Charles II married Catherine of Braganza who was Portuguese, but my mistake, this was not the direct line.
    Though of course this is how we got involved in India. Bombay was part of her Dowry. So we gained this part of the Empire/Commonwealth via our European links.
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    edited May 2015
    Plato.. Rajhastan is a terrific part of India...Alan Whicker and my crew spent a month there and enjoyed every moment of it..so much to see..worth a visit.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Things I didn't expect - Part 94
    94 pupils at the same Devon secondary school test positive for tuberculosis after mass test following three confirmed cases since March

In England and Wales in 1987, there were 5,745 cases - the lowest level since records began.

This low followed a downward trend since the beginning of the century.

In 2011 TB cases reached a new high in the UK with 8,963 people diagnosed

Rates of TB in the UK are now stabilising, with about 8,000 cases reported annually.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3094237/94-pupils-Devon-secondary-school-test-positive-tuberculosis-mass-test-following-three-confirmed-cases-March.html#ixzz3az5qZcGT
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,211
    Just a quick comment on trade balances: there is a near perfect correlation between savings rates and trade surpluses, and this is consistent irrespective of whether countries are in trading blocs are not.

So: Germany, Switzerland - high savings rates, and therefore trade surpluses

US, and UK - low savings rates, and therefore trade deficits.

This is not an argument in favour of any particular outcome (as you can have trade supluses in or out of trading groups), but it is important to recognise that the predominant reason we have a trade deficit is because we spend all (or slightly more than all) we earn.
  • Options
    Plato said:

Rajashtan is simply wonderful. The forts, suttee monuments, the cuisine, the culture/products - it's so welcoming with the right guides.

I did three weeks and seriously considered/still thinking about it emigrating.

MP_SE said:

Plato said:

MP_SE said:

The palaces look spectacular.

India's property ownership laws are quite strict if I remember correctly. People without ties to the country cannot buy. Which may not necessarily be a bad thing as I know people who own considerable amounts of land who have had nothing but trouble.
  • Options
    The son of a maharajah asked me to marry him when I was there - I got treated to the whole servants/rose petal path/meet the parents-aunties-etc and stuff.

It was Mind Blowing. I rang my BFF in England from the loo in his 400 room fort and did a total WTF?!?!?!?! as I'd no idea he had this planned [I'd no idea who he was when we met and right up until the flower baskets and small children in uniforms welcomed me].

It was the most incredibly bizarre and wonderful holiday romance. Several thousand miles put the kibosh on it, but golly what a cracker of a bucket list experience I didn't expect.

Plato.. Rajhastan is a terrific part of India...Alan Whicker and my crew spent a month there and enjoyed every moment of it..so much to see..worth a visit.

• Options
    Since there's been a bit of a shortage lately, some polling tomorrow.

@andrewpicken1
    Tomorrow's @Sunday_Post has a YouGov poll where we test impact of an SNP #indyref pledge in its Holyrood 2016 manifesto #buyapaper
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,070
    rcs1000 said:

Just a quick comment on trade balances: there is a near perfect correlation between savings rates and trade surpluses, and this is consistent irrespective of whether countries are in trading blocs are not.

This is not an argument in favour of any particular outcome (as you can have trade supluses in or out of trading groups), but it is important to recognise that the predominant reason we have a trade deficit is because we spend all (or slightly more than all) we earn.

You can't do that indefinitely though. And if we have a greater propensity to spend now shouldn't we be growing more than countries who are saving more? Might this also explain our greater tendency to boom and bust. When the next crash happens, Brits will have less to fall back on than virtually anyone else and our dreadful investment levels catch up with us. Have a look at the countries with a lower investment rate than the UK in 2014. A rather interesting group shall we say. Still it seems as if Sterling remains immune. We're often told how we as Brits live under the illusion that we're still great. It seems more likely that it's the rest of the world with the illusion.
  • Options
    Mr Booth, something that seems to challenge much of the Left's policy making is money.

So, without spending more money - what would you like to see a future Labour HMG implement?

rcs1000 said:

You can't do that indefinitely though. And if we have a greater propensity to spend now shouldn't we be growing more than countries who are saving more? Might this also explain our greater tendency to boom and bust. When the next crash happens, Brits will have less to fall back on than virtually anyone else and our dreadful investment levels catch up with us. Have a look at the countries with a lower investment rate than the UK in 2014. A rather interesting group shall we say. Still it seems as if Sterling remains immune. We're often told how we as Brits live under the illusion that we're still great. It seems more likely that it's the rest of the world with the illusion.
  • Options
    ItwasriggedItwasrigged Posts: 154
    Totally off topic but going by his own words of 2010 Carbuncle must go http://www.shetlandtimes.co.uk/2010/11/12/letter-from-westminster-49#.VWBURGPnIC8.twitter
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046

Since there's been a bit of a shortage lately, some polling tomorrow.

@andrewpicken1
    Tomorrow's @Sunday_Post has a YouGov poll where we test impact of an SNP #indyref pledge in its Holyrood 2016 manifesto #buyapaper

Hopefully they will have voting intention figures so we can assess the impact, if any, of the Labour and LibDems meltdowns. I hope the Daily Record will keep their monthly Survation polls going as we now have 18 months of data, they highlighted the SNP surge 9 months before the Referendum, I'd expect they would be first to show any downward trend in SNP support.
  • Options
    FlightpathlFlightpathl Posts: 1,243
    rcs1000 said:

Balance of payments varies as well according to repatriation and exporting of company profits. If overseas companies are doing well here they will be exploring the profits home. If our overseas investments are doing well the we import their profits.
  • Options
    @richardDodd Thought you'd like this too
    On September 7th, 1950, the Times of London printed a news story about a 10-month-old black-and-white kitten who became the first feline to conquer the Matterhorn, a formidable mountain in the Alps on the border between Switzerland and Italy.

The cat lived at the Hotel Belvedere, situated on the mountain’s Hörnli Ridge at an elevation of 3298m (10,820ft) and used as a starting point for Alpinists attempting the dangerous climb. Having become accustomed to watching the dawn departure of the climbers, the cat set out one morning to follow them up the mountainside. Soon outdistanced, he climbed solo and spent his first night at the Solvay Hut, a refuge at 3827m (12,556ft). The next day he climbed still higher, and bivouacked that night in a couloir (gully) above the shoulder.
    http://www.littlehouseofcats.com/cats-in-print/cat-stories/cat-who-climbed-matterhorn/
  • Options
    SeanF Indeed, it seems views are becoming liberal on homosexuality, a tad more conservative on abortion
  • Options
    Plato I guess it would have gone under Whickers World India ..we did a four, five month trip there..The Raj, Mumbai, Bollywood,Kerala, Cochin and area.
  • Options
    Plato said:

@richardDodd Thought you'd like this too

On September 7th, 1950, the Times of London printed a news story about a 10-month-old black-and-white kitten who became the first feline to conquer the Matterhorn, a formidable mountain in the Alps on the border between Switzerland and Italy.

The cat lived at the Hotel Belvedere, situated on the mountain’s Hörnli Ridge at an elevation of 3298m (10,820ft) and used as a starting point for Alpinists attempting the dangerous climb. Having become accustomed to watching the dawn departure of the climbers, the cat set out one morning to follow them up the mountainside. Soon outdistanced, he climbed solo and spent his first night at the Solvay Hut, a refuge at 3827m (12,556ft). The next day he climbed still higher, and bivouacked that night in a couloir (gully) above the shoulder.
    http://www.littlehouseofcats.com/cats-in-print/cat-stories/cat-who-climbed-matterhorn/

I'm wondering how the climber managed to keep him in his rucksack on the descent?
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046
    The Shetland News has joined the chorus of opinion that Carmichael should resign and let the electorate determine his fate:

http://www.shetnews.co.uk/viewpoint/10707-opinion-the-isles-deserve-another-vote

Should he decide to hang on his 2 MSP colleagues may end up paying the price for his behaviour.
  • Options
    FlightpathlFlightpathl Posts: 1,243
    Pauly said:

EU funding tends to drift to our poorer regions if anything, so I do not see logic in your supposition. Eire received a raft of EU funds at one time but that has moved away now, so they ought to be the more disillusioned.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,911
    On topic.

Does anyone think the Polls this far out matter?

In light of their record at GE 2015 I will wait for the Exit Poll.

I am probably a yes voter but open to persuation.

• Options
    Wot no Eurovision thread?

TSE having the night off?
  • Options
    I've been waiting too... still we won't be talking much else untl 11pm at least!

• Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,610
    Good Moaning!

I brung you a massage:

The Aerovision Sing Contest will start at Ooot O'Click!
  • Options

Plato I guess it would have gone under Whickers World India ..we did a four, five month trip there..The Raj, Mumbai, Bollywood,Kerala, Cochin and area.

Kerala - I was born there (Cannanore).
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    Plato said:

I've been waiting too... still we won't be talking much else untl 11pm at least!

Australia is entering this year..
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,688

Yah, my Eurovision tips are Spain and Le Royaume-Uni.

Blame South Yorkshire Police and the sodding rail unions.

Had to attend a speed awareness course yesterday, and the shirking parasite striking train staff have ruined my weekend.

Jeremy Clarkson was right about striking staff.
  • Options
    Sunil..amazing place.. I do hope you get back there occasionally we were mainly based in TRIVANDRUM
  • Options

Had to attend a speed awareness course yesterday, and the shirking parasite striking train staff have ruined my weekend.

Except the Railway Strike was suspended....

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2015/05/21/uk-britain-railway-strike-idUKKBN0O61QJ20150521
  • Options
    edited May 2015

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2015/05/21/uk-britain-railway-strike-idUKKBN0O61QJ20150521
    Last went just over a year ago. A little too hot for my liking. January-February probably best time to go.

EDIT and little to no rain
  • Options
    Plato said:
    Interesting that except for County Limp Sausage, some of the lowest YES votes were in Ulster (Donegal and Cavan-Monaghan)
  • Options
    Heapfully, the OK won't end up with Nell Points this yoar.
  • Options

I know, but I made plans assuming there was going to be a strike.
  • Options
    edited May 2015

On topic.

They were ultimately right on the AV referendum, the Indyref.

Golden rule, whichever side Dave is on, that side will win, he won the AV ref, he won the indyref, he's never lost a plebiscite

He's very good at this politics lark, and being Prime Minister, plus he'll have George Osborne advising him, and he's the greatest strategist in British Politics right now.
  • Options

17.5 for a top 10 place on Betfair is good value. After all we haven't invaded anyone for a couple of years...
  • Options

I know, but I made plans assuming there was going to be a strike.
    Excuses, excuses!
  • Options

17.5 for a top 10 place on Betfair is good value. After all we haven't invaded anyone for a couple of years...
    Does that moan the Rissians will get Nell Points?
  • Options

On topic.

They were ultimately right on the AV referendum, the Indyref.

Golden rule, whichever side Dave is on, that side will win, he won the AV ref, he won the indyref, he's never lost a plebiscite

He's very good at this politics lark, and being Prime Minister, plus he'll have George Osborne advising him, and he's the greatest strategist in British Politics right now.
    Yes won the referendum in Ireland!
  • Options

Does that moan the Rissians will get Nell Points?
    I cannot see them getting a lot of points from their neighbours!
This discussion has been closed.