Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » STAY likely to win the EU In/Out referendum for the same re

123457»

Comments

• Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @GdnPolitics: John Prescott throws his weight behind Andy Burnham as party leader http://t.co/IgmsZEJZZH
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    The Germans had a great Glam Rock band about a decade ago - I can't think of their name but it was most amusing and did pretty well.

Plato said:

I thought Alexander Rybak was the best in years myself. In 2009 Norway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiH4BFTELME

Plato said:

Sweden's light show was very good - I don't think it was a standout tune myself - but hey

There were no standout tunes this year.
    Lordi

Rock 'n' Roll Angels, bring thyne hard rock hallelujah.
  • Options
    DaemonBarberDaemonBarber Posts: 1,626
    Plato said:

The Germans had a great Glam Rock band about a decade ago - I can't think of their name but it was most amusing and did pretty well.

Plato said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiH4BFTELME

Plato said:

Sweden's light show was very good - I don't think it was a standout tune myself - but hey

There were no standout tunes this year.
    Lordi

Rock 'n' Roll Angels, bring thyne hard rock hallelujah.
    They had a C&W entry in mid 2000s too.
  • Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108
    Plato said:

@DaemonBarber I don't know anyone who likes Rammstein! Ha - small world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEqpNawBCVE

Once when I went to Germany, and was going to Rudesheim, I somehow got mixed up and at Frankfurt Airport got on the bus to Rammstein because, I guess, I remembered the band name and not where I was going.

As it was on a Sunday, Germany was closed which made it even more difficult, stations were unmanned, I did eventually get to a manned station at Kaiserslautern (I only went there because I knew they had a decent football team and therefore it was likely to be a fairly large place and find some help - fortunately I didn't end up in Hoffenheim).

It was a decent adventure even if I did end up getting to Rudesheim about 8 hours late.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    @DaemonBarber

My favourite German entry 1982

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQoxqI6n9p8

and the voting EDIT CHRIST 42000 people have watched this!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83v5zPcXTWA
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    The Russian song was class, but for some reason the Russians do not seem popular at the moment. Can anyone explain why?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

So we got more votes from San Marino than Ireland, Malta and Australia

You should consider that a briefing on how well the "European Renegotiations" will go.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Dair said:

HYUFD said:

You should consider that a briefing on how well the "European Renegotiations" will go.
    Considering that our entry was "Ed Miliband bad" (copyright SouthamObserver) its an observation on how glad we should be we didn't send Ed "Hell yes I'm tough enough" to negotiate with Putin.

• Options
    Well, that was fun but not a good night betting. Small stakes though so not too painful.
  • Options
    FalseFlagFalseFlag Posts: 1,801
    Dair said:

HYUFD said:

I think that is optimistic.
  • Options
    Plato said:

It's fairly rare that a Euphoria wins, usually it's a Hard Rock Hallelujah or a Fairytale that wins, The presentation is worth at least half the show. I suspect Russia did so well because of the way their act played to the anti-Russian feeling and her reaction to winning over the audience as much as the song itself.

Even proper "winning songs" like Only Teardrops tend to have a gimmick that gets them over the edge. Eurovision is about nothing if not the gimmick.
  • Options
    Plato said:

Emmelie de Forest was so much better

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k59E7T0H-Us

Fantastic song and performance.
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    edited May 2015
    I didn't watch eurovision or listen to any of its songs because I know it's all crap, but I supported Australia as the only non-european country in order to prove that even europeans don't vote for themselves in a european music contest.

It's a pity that Antarctica didn't enter the contest, even penguins sing better and I fully support holding the eurovision song contest as far away as possible.
  • Options

Dair said:

HYUFD said:

Considering that our entry was "Ed Miliband bad" (copyright SouthamObserver) its an observation on how glad we should be we didn't send Ed "Hell yes I'm tough enough" to negotiate with Putin.
    I think tonight the UK did much better than Ed Miliband did, certainly better than Nick Clegg. The problem is that even when the UK has a decent entry, it gets no votes because it has no block. It should have Ireland, Malta and Cyprus. Not a single one off them back the UK.

That is all you need to know about Cameron's prospects. He will be laughed at.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,282
    Plato said:

Check out the lyrics of this Luxembourg entry... 1965

Written by a Frenchman and sung by a French singer. They must have had different rules then.
  • Options

The Russian song was class, but for some reason the Russians do not seem popular at the moment. Can anyone explain why?

The misogyny of the Ernst Rohm element that are the only ones who have an interest in Eurovision? How come the Russian song came second nonetheless?
  • Options
    Nigella puts the boot in to Putin: Chef reads out Britain's points and helps SWEDEN win Eurovision - pipping Russia to victory

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3094296/All-eyes-special-guests-Australia-Eurovision-2015-grand-final-gets-way-27-countries-battling-glory.html#ixzz3b0Y8rJh4
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
  • Options
    The fact we again got so few points is reflective of our unpopularity in Europe as we are seen as the annoying sidekick to the American bully.
  • Options
    FalseFlag said:

The misogyny of the Ernst Rohm element that are the only ones who have an interest in Eurovision? How come the Russian song came second nonetheless?
    I am sure you are right. It is a conspiracy of the gays to do down the glorious and not even slightly latent homosexual Vladimir Putin.
  • Options

FalseFlag said:

I am sure you are right. It is a conspiracy of the gays to do down the glorious and not even slightly latent homosexual Vladimir Putin.
    That's actually an improvement on the usual boring tedious tripe you post that I don't bother reading.

Pathetic individual.
  • Options
    FalseFlag said:

The fact we again got so few points is reflective of our unpopularity in Europe as we are seen as the annoying sidekick to the American bully.

That would explain why the US lackeys of Germany, Austria and France did so badly too.

Have a quiet few days in your dacha to get over it all.
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    FalseFlag said:

According to the Mail it got so few points because it's crap
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,464
    FalseFlag said:

That'll be why Russia did so well then.

Britain got few votes because the routine was wrong and the song forgettable. It might have worked better for Strictly Come Dancing.

I don't know who decides the choice these days but they seem stuck in a mentality where it's forever 1982 and the keys to Eurovision success are cheese mixed with knowing irony. Actually, that was always wrong. Outright straight-up cheese had a chance but effectively conniving in denigrating the event was never a route to victory.

But times have moved on. Novelty is still a strong card to play but it has to be a novelty in its own right rather than a manufactured one. More, while novelty can be a hook, without a strong song and strong visuals, it's not enough. For all the rest of it, the routine remains central.

The sad thing is that Britain has some of the best film and theatrical directors, some of the best pixel artists, and one of the most successful music industries in the world. It ought to be possible to put them together and come up with something brilliant but fun. Unfortunately, it appears that we also have piss-poor commissioners.
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    Have to disagree, we simple haven't put up a decent entry for Eurovision contest in years. I knew that we were going to do badly tonight because I still hadn't even heard of our entry on the eve of the contest, if it had been any good it would have got some real publicity and airplay in the UK. We won't win a Eurovision contest again until we can select a song and artists that can stand on their own and do well commercially. Unfortunately, it would seem a lot of our home grown talent, both song writers and artists regard Eurovision as toxic to their careers.
    FalseFlag said:

• Options
    David, you hit the nail squarely on the head with that post. I asked tonight on twitter who decides our Eurovision entry, was told it selected by a BBC committee... which again backs up the main points you highlighted on where we are going wrong.

FalseFlag said:

That'll be why Russia did so well then.

Britain got few votes because the routine was wrong and the song forgettable. It might have worked better for Strictly Come Dancing.

I don't know who decides the choice these days but they seem stuck in a mentality where it's forever 1982 and the keys to Eurovision success are cheese mixed with knowing irony. Actually, that was always wrong. Outright straight-up cheese had a chance but effectively conniving in denigrating the event was never a route to victory.

But times have moved on. Novelty is still a strong card to play but it has to be a novelty in its own right rather than a manufactured one. More, while novelty can be a hook, without a strong song and strong visuals, it's not enough. For all the rest of it, the routine remains central.

The sad thing is that Britain has some of the best film and theatrical directors, some of the best pixel artists, and one of the most successful music industries in the world. It ought to be possible to put them together and come up with something brilliant but fun. Unfortunately, it appears that we also have piss-poor commissioners.
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790

We share a National Anthem with San Marino, God Bless the Grand Duchy

No we don't. Assuming "we" means the UK, we share the tune of our national anthem with Liechtenstein. We used to share it with Austria, Prussia, Russia and loads of other places, but only in the 19th century.

• Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,855
    fitalass said:

Have to disagree, we simple haven't put up a decent entry for Eurovision contest in years. I knew that we were going to do badly tonight because I still hadn't even heard of our entry on the eve of the contest, if it had been any good it would have got some real publicity and airplay in the UK. We won't win a Eurovision contest again until we can select a song and artists that can stand on their own and do well commercially. Unfortunately, it would seem a lot of our home grown talent, both song writers and artists regard Eurovision as toxic to their careers.

FalseFlag said:

The fact we again got so few points is reflective of our unpopularit Europe as we are seen as the annoying sidekick to the American bully.

Exactly - our glory days were when we sent big stars and took the thing reasonably seriously - we get no more than we deserve today.....
  • Options
    edited May 2015

snip

There are three factors that decide Eurovision.

1. The Song. A good song wins, it might not always win but generally a good song will triumph.

2. The Gimmick. A gimmick will never win Eurovision but it can take a good song and make it palatable or successful. For example Hard Rock Hallelujah was a hard rock song but the Gimmick make it palatable to the non-rock audience.

3. The Block. This is the problem for the UK. It has no block. Countries hate the UK and countries that should back the UK don't. Let's expand.

The UK lacks the Nordic Circle block because it has, quite often, invaded the Nordic countries for no reason. Invading Iceland in WW2 has to be one of the most shameful episodes in the UK's history. But invade it we did.

Ireland despises England and as a result the UK. It is our only land border and one would expect it has lots of British national residents. But even those people tend to really hate the UK too due to the old problems with NI. Yet the UK keeps voting for Ireland.

To the South and East we have The Netherlands - who to be fair we actually get on well with and they do vote for us (and we don't vote back and actually refuse to engage in the way we should with The Netherlands), then there are the French speaking countries which we not only make fun of but significant proportions of the English population actively hate.

The UK could construct a block if it had the CI, IoM and Gibraltar enter. it really should.

Meanwhile, Russia has a Block of nearly 20 countries who will give it high points regardless of the song. The Nordics have a Block of 6 countries which will always give top marks to good songs. Look back at the history, how often has a Nordic or an ex-soviet won in the past 20 years. Pretty much every time.

SInce 1999 Eurovision has only been won three times by non Nordic or Soviet block countries.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Looks like Fraser Nelson and I agree, a rare event. :)

Twitter
    Coffee House ‏@Spectator_CH now2 minutes ago
    It’s time to let ITV choose Britain’s Eurovision entry http://bit.ly/1FLLEuG by @frasernelson

fitalass said:

FalseFlag said:

The fact we again got so few points is reflective of our unpopularit Europe as we are seen as the annoying sidekick to the American bully.

Exactly - our glory days were when we sent big stars and took the thing reasonably seriously - we get no more than we deserve today.....
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    fitalass said:

:)

Twitter
    It’s time to let ITV choose Britain’s Eurovision entry http://bit.ly/1FLLEuG by @frasernelson

fitalass said:

FalseFlag said:

ITV are not members of the EBU. The BBC are. And that is not something open to change.

Out of interest, Electro Velvet's song was dire, their performance was dire and I did not believe for one second that any of it was actually sung. It was lip synced and deserved its result.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    You are missing the larger point being made here.
    Dair said:

fitalass said:

Twitter

fitalass said:

FalseFlag said:

ITV are not members of the EBU. The BBC are. And that is not something open to change.
  • Options
    davidthecondavidthecon Posts: 165
    May I just say that as a resident of Stockholm I truly hate Eurovision. Two of my neighbours are still holding parties to celebrate and are keeping me awake. This bloody country wins far too often and they celebrate it as though they've won the world cup.

I believe Slayer - Reign in blood at maximum volume is about to be unleashed.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    A betting point is that it's nearly always a good idea to lay Britain in these things - people have a Betfair punt in a triumph of hope over experience.

And yes, like David H and fitalass I think we should make an effort, instead of treating it with a faint sneer and then being disappointed when we do badly. Obviously it's not grand opera, but it's a fun, friendly show.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    fitalass said:

FalseFlag said:

So is it the case that the archetypal winning Eurovision song is ABBA and Waterloo - catchy tune, great chorus, up beat, good harmonies etc?

I remember when Cliff Richard was selected there was a TV show (and an EP) called A Song For Europe. He sang six songs and viewers voted for the winner, which turned out to be Congratulations.

It has long been my impression that this song contest is merely a plaything for government owned broadcasters. Is this an appropriate use of taxpayers money? Does it bring ever closer union?

I watched the UK entry on youtube. It is truly lame and awful
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    I have to admit that the first time I ever watched the Eurovision contest was back in the 70's, we were living in Malta and I was allowed to stay up specially to watch it. I started out rooting for the UK entry, but ended up hoping the Swedish entry would win and they did! Still stand by that switch of allegiance, and I am still a huge fan of Abba forty years later. :)

May I just say that as a resident of Stockholm I truly hate Eurovision. Two of my neighbours are still holding parties to celebrate and are keeping me awake. This bloody country wins far too often and they celebrate it as though they've won the world cup.

• Options
    edited May 2015
    fitalass said:

I have to admit that the first time I ever watched Eurovision contest back in the 70's, I started out rooting for the UK entry, but ended up hoping the Swedish entry would win and they did! Still stand by that switch of allegiance, and I am still a huge fan of Abba forty years later. :)

Ironically, ABBA won in Brighton, a city in England.

Unfortunately they broke up 30 years ago, after making some great music.
  • Options
    CuthbertBedeCuthbertBede Posts: 19
    edited May 2015
    fitalass said:

Dair said:

fitalass said:

Twitter

fitalass said:

FalseFlag said:

@Dair is wrong anyway. ITV are members. So are Channel 4 and S4C.

In fact, ITV have entered the junior version of Eurovision a few times (2003, 2004, 2005).
  • Options
    fitalass said:

I have to admit that the first time I ever watched Eurovision contest back in the 70's, I started out rooting for the UK entry, but ended up hoping the Swedish entry would win and they did! Still stand by that switch of allegiance, and I am still a huge fan of Abba forty years later. :)

They have an Abba museum here now. Incredible how many tourists from all over the world travel here to visit it. I go past it quite often and it is always heaving with people.

• Options

fitalass said:

They have an Abba museum here now. Incredible how many tourists from all over the world travel here to visit it. I go past it quite often and it is always heaving with people.

Do they still have that phone, where certain ABBA members promise to call from time to time?

I've not been there but seen a documentary about it.
  • Options

fitalass said:

Dair said:

fitalass said:

Twitter

fitalass said:

FalseFlag said:

@Dair is wrong anyway. ITV are members. So are Channel 4 and S4C.

In fact, ITV have entered the junior version of Eurovision a few times (2003, 2004, 2005).
    It is true

http://www3.ebu.ch/about/members?country=united-kingdom
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

fitalass said:

Do they still have that phone, where certain ABBA members promise to call from time to time?

I've not been there but seen a documentary about it.
    I have no idea. I wouldn't be seen dead in the place. Inside a Swedish heavy metal museum maybe....
  • Options
    But that music has lasted the test of time, and it is still hugely commercially successful even now. IIRC, I think the last time the UK failed to win a Eurovision contest with a song that turned out to be very commercially successful was Gina G with 'Just a little bit', even now that song is better than anything that turned up on our screens tonight in Eurovision. It was a classic catchy pop tune, and that is what is now what is so lacking from Eurovision final every year nowadays. How often do you see the winner ever become a really big commercial hit these days?
    Tim_B said:

fitalass said:

• Options
    fitalass said:

But that music has lasted the test of time, and it is still hugely commercially successful even now. IIRC, I think the last time the UK failed to win a Eurovision contest with a song that turned out to be very commercially successful was Gina G with 'Just a little bit', even now that song is better than anything that turned up on our screens tonight in Eurovision. It was a classic catchy pop tune, and that is what is now what is so lacking from Eurovision final every year nowadays. How often do you see the winner ever become a really big commercial hit these days?

Tim_B said:

fitalass said:

The whole (mainly) sorry UK history......

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Eurovision_Song_Contest_winners
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    fitalass said:

Tim_B said:

fitalass said:

Established artists don't need it, and newcomers are only too willing to submit to gadgets, , transvestism, bad songs etc as presumably any publicity is better than none, although in Eurovision I have my doubts about that. Maybe the UK could get Bruce Jenner to do it.

From what I remember there are no commercial breaks in the song contest, which only emphasizes it's all non-commercial broadcasters. ITV etc couldn't make money on this so wouldn't touch it.

The BBC long ago lost its way on this one, as with so much else. The emphasis now seems to be on pushing boundaries rather than singing good songs.
  • Options
    Just seen the UK's entry - it's dire - like something out of a bad 1930s musical - Australia and Sweden clearly much better......
  • Options
    So much for the 'backlash':

Support for same-sex marriage has leapt sharply since changes to the law allowing gay and lesbian couples to wed in mainland Britain, research shows.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/religion/11626678/Surge-in-support-for-gay-marriage.html
  • Options
    edited May 2015

Just seen the UK's entry - it's dire - like something out of a bad 1930s musical - Australia and Sweden clearly much better......

The drop in the quality of music over the years is huge. Eurovision winners would typically go straight to the top of the charts, and would help the artist. That seems no longer to happen. Sandie Shaw stood there in her bare feet and sang Puppet on a String. Hard to find a simpler more catchy song.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

The drop in the quality of music over the years is huge. Eurovision winners would typically go straight to the top of the charts, and would help the artist. That seems no longer to happen. Sandie Shaw stood there in her bare feet and sang Puppet on a String. Hard to find a simpler more catchy song.
    She hated it - but it did very well:

"Puppet on a String" became her third Number One hit in the UK (a record for a female at the time) and was a big worldwide smash (the biggest selling single of the year in Germany). Shaw also recorded "Puppet on a String" in French ("Un tout petit pantin"), Italian ("La danza delle note"), Spanish ("Marionetas en la cuerda"), and German ("Wiedehopf im Mai")

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puppet_on_a_String

I remember stopping at a layby Cafe en route from Aberdeen to home, where the staff had religiously chalked 'Sandy Shaw sat in this Chair on X/XX/XX'......it was a huge hit.....
  • Options
    edited May 2015

Tim_B said:

She hated it - but it did very well:

"Puppet on a String" became her third Number One hit in the UK (a record for a female at the time) and was a big worldwide smash (the biggest selling single of the year in Germany). Shaw also recorded "Puppet on a String" in French ("Un tout petit pantin"), Italian ("La danza delle note"), Spanish ("Marionetas en la cuerda"), and German ("Wiedehopf im Mai")

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puppet_on_a_String

I remember stopping at a layby Cafe en route from Aberdeen to home, where the staff had religiously chalked 'Sandy Shaw sat in this Chair on X/XX/XX'......it was a huge hit.....
    I doubt any of this evening's offerings will be so lucky - particularly en route from Aberdeen :smiley:
  • Options

So much for the 'backlash':

Support for same-sex marriage has leapt sharply since changes to the law allowing gay and lesbian couples to wed in mainland Britain, research shows.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/religion/11626678/Surge-in-support-for-gay-marriage.html

Why would there be a backlash?
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

That is purely a UK problem.
This discussion has been closed.