Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » STAY likely to win the EU In/Out referendum for the same re

Comments

• Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,610
    Aerovision about to begoon!
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669

On topic.

Does anyone think the Polls this far out matter?

In light of their record at GE 2015 I will wait for the Exit Poll.

I am probably a yes voter but open to persuation.

They were ultimately right on the AV referendum, the Indyref.

Golden rule, whichever side Dave is on, that side will win, he won the AV ref, he won the indyref, he's never lost a plebiscite

He's very good at this politics lark, and being Prime Minister, plus he'll have George Osborne advising him, and he's the greatest strategist in British Politics right now.
    Yes won the referendum in Ireland!
    Until the EU make them take it again....
  • Options
    Hair we gooo!
  • Options
    I went to Vienna in 2003, I went up that hill overlooking Schonbrunn Palace.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,688

This means nothing to me.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976

groan :lol:
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,321

Golden rule, whichever side Dave is on, that side will win, he won the AV ref, he won the indyref, he's never lost a plebiscite

He's very good at this politics lark, and being Prime Minister, plus he'll have George Osborne advising him, and he's the greatest strategist in British Politics right now.

He should stay for GE 2020!

I'm starting to think - if Lab choose Liz she'll beat any Con leader - other than Dave.
  • Options

Shaddappa your face?
  • Options
    What sort of ratings does Eurovision get? Even in the 70s it was terrible to watch.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Deleted
  • Options
    edited May 2015

Would love it if Falco makes an appearance!

That would Rock Me (and my world)
  • Options

Would love it if Falco makes an appearance!

That would Rock Me (and my world)
    Ooops he passed on in 1998 :(
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Tim_B said:

What sort of ratings does Eurovision get? Even in the 70s it was terrible to watch.

Highlight of the year!
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-27346557

Tim_B said:

Highlight of the year!
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

Is music banned in the States or summat?? :lol:
  • Options
    mincermincer Posts: 6
    It's very early to make a serious call on the EU referendum. The decision will be determined by a mass of variables which means the basis of any prediction cannot be reduced to just one killer argument. A complex model is needed, but the more moving parts such a model has - the more likely it is to go wrong. Witness the recent failure of all the complicated models employed by the General Election pollsters to turn raw polling data into estimates of current vote intention.

Maybe it's time to stop relying so heavily on the expert models and vote intention polling. There are three exciting alternatives which rely on trusting the mass public's judgement - i.e. the 'Wisdom of Crowds - rather than 'expert' political judgement. The first and most established is to check what the betting markets are saying. Judgement backed by hard dosh has a good record in predicting elections (Wolfers & Zitzewitz, 2004). However, although it did better than the polling at GE2015, it didn't deliver much improvement - see my blog on this: http://alberttapper.blogspot.co.uk/2015/05/predicting-ge-2015-which-group-should_7.html

The betting markets did start to distrust the polling towards polling day, but the market lines largely followed the polling lines on total seats, and failed in the same way. This was despite the inherent tendency in British betting markets on politics to favour the right wing alternative, the Conservatives.

The second alternative is 'expectation polling' where voters are asked to say who they think will win (ideally at the Constituency level) rather than how they intend to vote. One piece of research by a young German called Andreas Murr looked at this, based on a YouGov poll in February of 17,000 respondents. Despite 17,000 national respondents translates into just 25 voters per seat, this method generated a prediction of 292 Tory seats, more accurate than all the eleven academic prediction models bar Stephen Fisher's Electionsetc.com (296).

The last alternative is the most fun. This would be a massive free to play online prediction game where the public would be asked to predict seat totals in return for the chance of winning a large prize, probably put up by a bookmaker, hungry for new customers. They would also get publicity as the public would be playing against experts and even celebs. Political Betting did run such a tourney, but next time it could be much bigger, generating more reliable data. Again, this is discussed on my blog. If you make a visit, please could you also vote on what prediction method you think would be most reliable? My online poll has so far only attracted one voter! (me). You need to scroll to the bottom of the blog to find to find the poll.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,448

Heapfully, the OK won't end up with Nell Points this yoar.

17.5 for a top 10 place on Betfair is good value. After all we haven't invaded anyone for a couple of years...
    Does that moan the Rissians will get Nell Points?
    I cannot see them getting a lot of points from their neighbours!
    Underlying that comment is a common misconception. Countries do not vote for their neighbours because they are neighbours; ex-pats vote for their motherland and neighbouring countries is where they generally most often live.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

I'm starting to think - if Lab choose Liz she'll beat any Con leader - other than Dave.
    One of the threads tomorrow should be on the person who should replace Dave as leader.
  • Options
    edited May 2015

Tim_B said:

It's not shown here, so bad music must be :-)

The last one I saw was when Abba won, with the full Katie Boyle treatment. It was total kitsch.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,022

MikeL said:

One of the threads tomorrow should be on the person who should replace Dave as leader.
    Wouldn't now be the perfect time to debut that much-awaited thread on AV? Since nothing else of great import is going on.
  • Options
    Christ - I just opened a new column for #Eurovision tweets and its hundreds a second!
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    RobD said:

MikeL said:

Wouldn't now be the perfect time to debut that much-awaited thread on AV? Since nothing else of great import is going on.
    Alas, the AV thread needs much work on it now, it was written before the Tories won majority a couple of weeks ago.

The thread speculated that AV/Electoral reform would be the only way for the Tories to ever gain a majority.

I is Nostradamus
  • Options
    @Tim_B It's an audience of 200m this year inc China.
  • Options
    So far £3.3 million matched on the main Betfair Eurovision market.

People love Eurovision.
  • Options

Heapfully, the OK won't end up with Nell Points this yoar.

17.5 for a top 10 place on Betfair is good value. After all we haven't invaded anyone for a couple of years...
    Does that moan the Rissians will get Nell Points?
    I cannot see them getting a lot of points from their neighbours!
    Underlying that comment is a common misconception. Countries do not vote for their neighbours because they are neighbours; ex-pats vote for their motherland and neighbouring countries is where they generally most often live.
    That is true for the citizen juries, but not the expert juries.

Mind you, One reason I tip Serbia is that as there are many ex Yugo contries the Serbs will do well. Bosnia and Montenegro will give top marks, then there is FYR Macedonia, Croatia, Slovenia, as well as other slavophile countries...still better than shooting at each other.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

Tim_B said:

It's not shown here, so bad music must be :-)

The last one I saw was when Abba won, with the full Katie Boyle treatment. It was total kitsch.
    Waterloo, best Eurovision song EVER...
  • Options
    The Lady in White with big earphones is a very odd look for Slovenia - nice tune though.
  • Options
    edited May 2015

RobD said:

MikeL said:

Alas, the AV thread needs much work on it now, it was written before the Tories won majority a couple of weeks ago.

The thread speculated that AV/Electoral reform would be the only way for the Tories to ever gain a majority.

I is Nostradamus
    How many years has it been since the Tories last won a majority? 0.04 :D
  • Options
    Plato said:

I meant just the UK.
  • Options
    About 7m - the spam filter ate my chart
    Tim_B said:

Plato said:

I meant just the UK.
  • Options
    UK will be the 5th song
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

Plato said:

I meant just the UK.
    The BBC infographic suggests 7-8m.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    France is rather dull. Good voice mind.
  • Options
    Is the French Lass distraught at the collapse of Paris into ruins?
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

MikeL said:

I is Nostradamus
    By my reckoning, it 0.04 years since the Tories last won a majority, and over ten years since Labour last won a majority, which doesn't count, as that was Blair, and according to some on the left, he was a Tory.
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664

On topic.

Does anyone think the Polls this far out matter?

In light of their record at GE 2015 I will wait for the Exit Poll.

I am probably a yes voter but open to persuation.

There isn't the personality/leader rating issue and as far as I know there is no shy in/out factor. I'd be inclined to trust them. TUKIITEU.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

Plato said:

I meant just the UK.
    It is possible to watch live on the eurovision App, if you are really keen to join in!
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

MikeL said:

I is Nostradamus
    By my reckoning, it 0.04 years since the Tories last won a majority, and over ten years since Labour last won a majority, which doesn't count, as that was Blair, and according to some on the left, he was a Tory.
    So, excluding Blair, 41 years.... titter
  • Options
    Did Norton say the Israeli bloke is only 16?
  • Options
    Israel is rather catchy. I can't get over the flood on Twitter - two years ago I could read them, now it's a total blur!
  • Options
    UK next but one song :)
  • Options
    That chap from Estonia can sing as well as I can't.

Ewww.
  • Options
    Ireland didn't make the Final BTW.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    This Estonian lady has got my vote.

(I know, deep down I'm very shallow)
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,214
    RobD That majority did allow Labour to raise the top tax rate to 50% and increase spending to 47% and while Blair was clearly responsible in many ways for Labour's 1997 and 2001 landslides by 2005 polls showed Brown would have won by more than Blair did
  • Options
    Estonian girl looks nice :)
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,321
    edited May 2015

As time goes on people are going to start to realise how great a politician he is - hated by Lab, LD and UKIP supporters, hated by a good chunk of Con supporters, Bullingdon, out of touch, caught out over which football team he supports, and yet .........

He wins!

And not only that he's now made the Con vote far, far more efficient than Lab. So Con is now well ahead of Lab on equal seats even before any boundary changes.

I think there will be calls for him to stay for GE 2020.
  • Options

Which means their entry was truly crap, considering Jedward and Dustin the Turkey have represented them in the final in recent years.
  • Options
    UK UK UK UK UK UK :)
  • Options
    1st time I'm hearing this song!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

RobD That majority did allow Labour to raise the top tax rate to 50% and increase spending to 47% and while Blair was clearly responsible in many ways for Labour's 1997 and 2001 landslides by 2005 polls showed Brown would have won by more than Blair did

Yeah, I don't think Blair was a Tory.. just teasing the non-PB Tories :D
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    The UK song is so Pokey La Farge!

LOVE IT! :heart:
  • Options
    MikeL said:

As time goes on people are going to start to realise how great a politician he is - hated by Lab, LD and UKIP supporters, hated by a good chunk of Con supporters, Bullingdon, out of touch, caught out over which football team he supports, and yet .........

He wins!

And not only that he's now made the Con vote far, far more efficient than Lab. So Con is now well ahead of Lab on equal seats even before any boundary changes.

I think there will be calls for him to stay for GE 2020.
    Just imagine how mahoosive the Tory majority would have been in Dave's heart had been in it.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    MikeL Unless Dave wins a landslide in EUref for In I expect he will be happy to move into an Oxfordshire Mansion with SamCam, with a few more holidays in Mauritius rather than Cornwall and leave the follow out fall out following a narrow In or Out to his successor
  • Options
    Well the lightshow is good on the UK entry
  • Options
    "I'm still in love with you" :)
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,026
    What's going on with the UK, the price has flown out from 350 to 500.
  • Options
    This is our finest entry since Gina G
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,806

God, that was awful TSE. Why did you tip that?
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913
    EVICIEC
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

What's going on with the UK, the price has flown out from 350 to 500.

We've just been on, that's what
  • Options

Ooh aah just a little bit!
  • Options
    UKWNWTESC.
  • Options

Gina G was Evita next to the shi'ite I've just heard.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,187

This Estonian lady has got my vote.

(I know, deep down I'm very shallow)

You're so shallow you don't have a deep down....
  • Options
    edited May 2015

Because I'm laying them, that's why, my way of distorting the market.

No, really, I liked it, as some PBers may have worked out, my musical tastes, are erm eclectic.

It is said, my iPod contains more evil than an Islamic State suggestion box.
  • Options

Which means their entry was truly crap, considering Jedward and Dustin the Turkey have represented them in the final in recent years.
    Surprised that they didn't enter Fathers Ted and Dougal with "My Lovely Horse"
  • Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293
    edited May 2015

The interests of the US and UK are closely aligned. Would the EU-philes be in favour of letting the US be able to make our laws, as they are for the EU?

Don't really agree with your premise, but if I did, I'd consider the 51st state idea.

On a less contentious note (bank holiday weekend and all that, let's be peaceful), I'm planning a long holiday in the US in August, starting with the World Boardgames Convention in Lancaster, PA at the start of the month. After that, I've got some reasons to go to Las Vegas and San Francisco, and I'm flirting with the idea of hiring a car and leisurely driving across (it's about 35 hours total), stopping off at sights and small towns on the way - I've always liked small-town America despite (or perhaps because of) the cultural differences. After all, going by air takes 7 hours plus the time to get to the airport etc. But how bonkers is that? Would I be seeing lots of pretty little towns and interesting sights, or would I just be driving hour after hour across featureless cornfield terrain in blazing heat, cowering in the air conditioning? Are there sights people would specially recommend on the way?
    I have done a number of road trips across the USA, as I lived there for 5 years.

The Amish country of Pennsylvania is interesting (albeit often a bit touristy).

Gettysburg is nearby, and the battlefield fascinating to see for anyone who has played Terrible Swift Sword etc. It is also quite an interesting Pennsylvanian Deutsch town in its own right. The Shenandoah valley ov Virginia is pretty, and also has some well preserved historic sites. I do not know Kentucky or Ohio very well, but Tennessee has some real redneck hillbilly country, not always pretty but an interesting insight into Southern USA.

teresting anyway. The old lodge at the Grand Canyon is very atmospheric. Worth eating there even if not staying, the Tex Mex breakfast/brunch in particular.

America is best by road, though the interstate highways are often pretty ugly. It is more interesting (but slower) to dawdle along the more minor roads and stop in small town america. Expect to be made a fuss of, they don't get many foeigners through.
    The mid west is extraordinarily friendly when they hear an English accent. I lived there for a short while, a young girl from Ohio there stole my heart, but alas, it wasnt to be..
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    I have that single... along with CoCo and Bucks Fizz... Oh and Lindsey DePaul...

• Options
    Graham Norton on Armenia "Oooh...that was worse than I remember...."

Arf!
  • Options

UKWNWTESC.

We'll have none of that defeatist talk here! :)
  • Options

No, really, I liked it, as some PBers may have worked out, my musical tastes, are erm eclectic.

Our only hope is that the musical tastes of Europe are as "refined" as yours?

The guy sounded like a bloke on a stag-do trying to do karoake, recovering from a sore throat.
  • Options

Better than your politics. ;-)
  • Options
    Lithuania isn't too bad either - I'm rather impressed by the acts so far. Are the semis whittling out the most erm entertaining?
  • Options

The guy sounded like a bloke on a stag-do trying to do karoake, recovering from a sore throat.
    He normally sings the lead for the Rolling Clones, Britains leading Stones tribute act. Really!
  • Options
    I hope the Polish girls are doing a re-run.

Don't care about to what song.
  • Options
    You'll be all delighted to know that my next stint as Guest Editor covers the 200th Anniversary of the Battle of Waterloo, so you know what that means on the 18th of June?

1) Lots of ABBA references

2) Lots of goading of les grenouilles

3) Comparisons of Dave to Arthur Wellesley
  • Options

He normally sings the lead for the Rolling Clones, Britains leading Stones tribute act. Really!
    Bleedin' heck. I wouldn't even hire him for my wedding!
  • Options
    I should like to make that Lithuanian Lass very welcome if she migrates to the UK!
  • Options
    notme said:

The interests of the US and UK are closely aligned. Would the EU-philes be in favour of letting the US be able to make our laws, as they are for the EU?

Don't really agree with your premise, but if I did, I'd consider the 51st state idea.

air conditioning? Are there sights people would specially recommend on the way?
    I have done a number of road trips across the USA, as I lived there for 5 years.

The Amish country of Pennsylvania is interesting (albeit often a bit touristy).

Gettysburg is nearby, and the battlefield fascinating to see for anyone who has played Terrible Swift Sword etc. It is also quite an interesting Pennsylvanian Deutsch town in its own right. The Shenandoah valley ov Virginia is pretty, and also has some well preserved historic sites. I do not know Kentucky or Ohio very well, but Tennessee has some real redneck hillbilly country, not always pretty but an interesting insight into Southern USA.

very early - gets damned hot later.
    teresting anyway. The old lodge at the Grand Canyon is very atmospheric. Worth eating there even if not staying, the Tex Mex breakfast/brunch in particular.

America is best by road, though the interstate highways are often pretty ugly. It is more interesting (but slower) to dawdle along the more minor roads and stop in small town america. Expect to be made a fuss of, they don't get many foeigners through.
    The mid west is extraordinarily friendly when they hear an English accent. I lived there for a short while, a young girl from Ohio there stole my heart, but alas, it wasnt to be..
    Most of America is so ridiculously friendly. They would go to the end of the County to help you out.

By the way, Nick - go via Arizona. Bit of Route 66. Painted Desert is excellent. So is Meteor Crater (but if you are going to walk round it, set off early - it gets damned hot later. And if you have never done it, the Grand Canyon is one of those rare places that does not disappoint..
  • Options

UKWNWTESC.

Would you prefer... UKICIESCW?
  • Options
    It's not over till the fat lady sings :lol:
  • Options
    I read that too - he's got a good voice. And so did she. Infinitely better than the out of tune Jemini. I can't catch a tune in a bucket and could do better.

• Options

It is known as Scatting, based on Scatman John.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=FE0XcdM22Yo
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

It's not over till the fat lady sings :lol:

LOL I just said to my wife "well it's all over after this song"!

So rude :D
  • Options

UKWNWTESC.

Would you prefer... UKICIESCW?
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=OztB98Odm1M
  • Options
    Golly, she's a big lass - like Alison Moyet on Sugarpuffs.
  • Options

Scatman John was a musical genius.
  • Options
    Big lass, big vote....
  • Options
    I did tip Serbia!
  • Options
    Plato said:

Golly, she's a big lass - like Alison Moyet on Sugarpuffs.

That Kent Earthquake is now explained.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    I think that one could have been a winner. Very memorable.
  • Options

Scatman John was a musical genius.
    I just wished I hadn't googled "Scatting" on a work laptop
  • Options
    Redhead!
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,026
    I've laid off the UK at 420s, +£218.50 Spain/-£30 UK/£0 the rest.

I'll be amazed if we win tbh.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Plato said:

Lithuania isn't too bad either - I'm rather impressed by the acts so far. Are the semis whittling out the most erm entertaining?

People like Moldovan rappers? one of my all time favourites from 2011:

https://youtu.be/M3awRSpP3WY
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,192

You'll be all delighted to know that my next stint as Guest Editor covers the 200th Anniversary of the Battle of Waterloo, so you know what that means on the 18th of June?

1) Lots of ABBA references

2) Lots of goading of les grenouilles

3) Comparisons of Dave to Arthur Wellesley

Wellesley was a rather cr@p PM, twice. So there are absolutely no comparisons to Dave. :-)

His second stint must have been one of the shortest of anybody as PM - only three weeks. Again, no comparison with Dave...
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,902
    edited May 2015

I liked their youtube video, but that performance was truly awful.
  • Options
    That's rather nice from Sweden - another one for my download list
This discussion has been closed.