Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » A guest slot by Lucian on the Northern Ireland dimension –

Comments

• Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

@FoxInSox

The whisky arrived at 0930 this morning, Doc, thank you.

What made you pick a German supplier? The idea that whisky from Islay is exported to Germany before being packaged up nicely and then delivered to England is not an immediately obvious business proposition.

It was not a deliberate provocation to a kipper, Just via Amazon marketplace!
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    TGOHF said:

Ah - so that's what they need the Short money for...

I shall think less of Douglas Carswell if he doesn't tell Farage to Foxtrot Oscar
  • Options
    Thread header...

@BrianSpanner1: The greatest photo in the history of mankind. http://t.co/fATxp9P4yh
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

antifrank said:

I got hit by a severe hailstorm earlier. Hailstones really hurt, I found out.

Well, as 'smiting' goes, you appear to have got off pretty lightly. :lol:
    Next time I'll just settle for a Victoria sponge.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,384
    Meanwhile (& peripherally on topic), in another part of the geographical entity known as the British Isles.

https://twitter.com/fredbarboo/status/600676104807063552
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,322
    edited May 2015
    RobD said:

AndyJS said:

When the Tories were in opposition they said they would reduce the number of MPs to 585. When they were in coalition they said they would reduce the number to 600. Now they're in single-party government they say they're going to keep the number at 650.

Has this now been confirmed? I thought 600 was still on the cards.
    No. 600 is still on the cards. The Conservative manifesto says:

"In the next Parliament, we will address the unfairness of the current Parliamentary boundaries, reduce the number of MPs to 600 to cut the cost of politics and make votes of more equal value. We will implement the boundary reforms that Parliament has already approved and make them apply automatically once the Boundary Commission reports in 2018."

Now the key phrase here is "make them apply automatically".

As the law stands TODAY a new Boundary review will start in early 2016 based on 2015 electoral registers which will report in Autumn 2018. That is the law NOW - no action is required by Parliament - that will happen under the current law.

However the key phrase in the manifesto is "make them apply automatically". That is NOT the law as of today. Under the current law the Boundary Commission reports would have to be approved by Parliament (both Commons in Lords) in 2018 before being laid before the Queen.

So if the manifesto is to be complied with it appears there will need to be a brief new law introduced to remove the need for Parliamentary votes in 2018. This is exactly what the Conservatives attempted to do in 2012. At the same time as Lab / LD amended the Electoral Registration Bill to cancel the last Boundary review, the Conservatives moved an amendment (which was obviously defeated) which provided for the Prime Minister to directly lay the Boundary Commission reports before the Queen without any need for a Parliamentary vote.

So we await the Queens Speech - is this what Cameron will now attempt to do again?
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,671
    Scott_P said:

TGOHF said:

Ah - so that's what they need the Short money for...

I shall think less of Douglas Carswell if he doesn't tell Farage to Foxtrot Oscar
    Sure he'll be devastated.

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,022
    MikeL said:

RobD said:

AndyJS said:

When the Tories were in opposition they said they would reduce the number of MPs to 585. When they were in coalition they said they would reduce the number to 600. Now they're in single-party government they say they're going to keep the number at 650.

Has this now been confirmed? I thought 600 was still on the cards.
    No. 600 is still on the cards. The Conservative manifesto says:

"In the next Parliament, we will address the unfairness of the current Parliamentary boundaries, reduce the number of MPs to 600 to cut the cost of politics and make votes of more equal value. We will implement the boundary reforms that Parliament has already approved and make them apply automatically once the Boundary Commission reports in 2018."

Now the key phrase here is "make them apply automatically".

As the law stands TODAY a new Boundary review will start in early 2016 based on 2015 electoral registers which will report in Autumn 2018. That is the law NOW - no action is required by Parliament - that will happen under the current law.

However the key phrase in the manifesto is "make them apply automatically". That is NOT the law as of today. Under the current law the Boundary Commission reports would have to be approved by Parliament (both Commons in Lords) in 2018 before being laid before the Queen.

So if the manifesto is to be complied with it appears there will need to be a brief new law introduced to remove the need for Parliamentary votes in 2018. This is exactly what the Conservatives attempted to do in 2012. At the same time as Lab / LD amended the Electoral Registration Bill to cancel the last Boundary review, the Conservatives moved an amendment (which was obviously defeated) which provided for the Prime Minister to directly lay the Boundary Commission reports before the Queen without any need for a Parliamentary vote.

So we await the Queens Speech - is this what Cameron will now attempt to do again?
    Hopefully. Bloody scandalous to vote down a boundary review.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,618

Meanwhile (& peripherally on topic), in another part of the geographical entity known as the British Isles.

twitter.com/fredbarboo/status/600676104807063552

https://twitter.com/thatweecafe/status/598504198855073792

• Options
    @WikiGuido: Understand Suzanne Evans will make a statement later on speculation she is out in next stage of UKIP counter-putsch: http://t.co/kVEZNPUDw2
  • Options

Handshake and a cup of tea, much more civilised than guns and bombs. Shows how far we have come since Mountbatten's death.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    The boundary review should be taken away from MPs and happen automatically.

650 > 600 isn't going to happen - not sure any party supports it.

• Options
    edited May 2015
    RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Yeah, what would it have been without the SNP fear factor?

Note the minus sign - so it was actually a 0.4% swing to Team Ed! :lol:
    Yeah, but that doesn't address my point :p
    @Alanbrooke said there was a swing to the Conservatives.

True, their vote went up 0.7% on 2010, but Labour's went up by 1.4% :)
    Did he mean a swing to the Tories caused by the fear factor, thereby reducing the swing to Labour? :D
    Fear Factor?

Sounds like something from Top Trumps "Horrors" :lol:

http://www.fustar.info/wp-content/images/death.jpg
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

@FoxInSox

What made you pick a German supplier? The idea that whisky from Islay is exported to Germany before being packaged up nicely and then delivered to England is not an immediately obvious business proposition.

It never occurred to me that you might be trying to wind me up, I was just curious. As a transaction it does show the interconnected nature of modern business: a product manufactured in Scotland is exported to Germany, advertised on an American owned web site before being bought and imported into England (the German state collects 19% of the value in VAT). How the Huns keep their prices competitive and make a profit on the deal I don't know.
  • Options
    BannedInParisBannedInParis Posts: 2,191

twitter.com/fredbarboo/status/600676104807063552

https://twitter.com/thatweecafe/status/598504198855073792

I saw an episode of Dr Who with a plot like that ...
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

They would do better to reduce the number of Lords (whether elected or not). The Lords is the world's only Upper House bigger than its respective Lower House.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

They would do better to reduce the number of Lords (whether elected or not). The Lords is the world's only Upper House bigger than its respective Lower House.
    A cold winter should see a few more off - either that or an expansion of Operation Yewtree...
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    TGOHF said:

MikeK said:

TOPPING said:

So UKIP, which stands for nothing, is now self-destructing.

Taking the votes of 4m people with it.

Pathetic.

It's you who are pathetic, still by your wishing well day after day. Grow up.
    Mike - I've sent you a vanilla message about our bet that needs settling. Cheers.
    Answered!!!
  • Options
    simmonitesimmonite Posts: 13

Incidentally, if District Judge Brownlie's assessment of the law is correct, it is now unlawful throughout the United Kingdom for a Muslim printer to refuse to print cartoons of his Prophet, for an atheist baker to refuse to accept to bake a cake with the slogan all "Infidels will burn in Hell" or for a church newspaper which accepts advertising to refuse to print pro-abortion advertisements. That is an intolerable threat to freedom of expression.

As often is the case, where do you draw the line, allow landlords to say no blacks or Irish? Or just no gays?
  • Options
    MikeK said:

TGOHF said:

MikeK said:

TOPPING said:

So UKIP, which stands for nothing, is now self-destructing.

Taking the votes of 4m people with it.

Pathetic.

It's you who are pathetic, still by your wishing well day after day. Grow up.
    Mike - I've sent you a vanilla message about our bet that needs settling. Cheers.
    Answered!!!
    Cheers ! You applied for O'Flynn's job ? :D
  • Options

TGOHF said:

I don't see a problem with it being large (just to scare you it was ~1,500 before the 1999 Act!): given the Lords deals with legislation covering a wide range of issues, it makes sense to have experts from various fields to contribute. If we limited it to 100, the number of experts in any given area is diminished significantly. Of course ,you could say that none of them are experts at anything....!
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    RobD said:

Handshake and a cup of tea, much more civilised than guns and bombs. Shows how far we have come since Mountbatten's death.
    Not the only death that day - also the 18 troops killed at Warrenpoint (plus an innocent bystander).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warrenpoint_ambush
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    edited May 2015

@FoxInSox

It never occurred to me that you might be trying to wind me up, I was just curious. As a transaction it does show the interconnected nature of modern business: a product manufactured in Scotland is exported to Germany, advertised on an American owned web site before being bought and imported into England (the German state collects 19% of the value in VAT). How the Huns keep their prices competitive and make a profit on the deal I don't know.
    It does also mean that we need a shovel full of salt when interpreting trade data. Does that bottle of whisky count as an EU export, an EU import, both or neither?

Similarly an Airbus sold to Singapore will have wings made in Bristol, but will show as a British export to France and a French export to Singapore. I believe that a lot of our EU trade is mislabelled this way.

Enjoy the Islay peat while considering such matters!
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

See post below. 600 is already the law now.

It is also confirmed in the Con manifesto - see below.

To go back to 650, a new Act of Parliament will be required - and it will be required immediately as under the current law the next Boundary review starts in approx 8 months time and it will be done to create 600 seats.

We'll know when we see the Queens Speech.
  • Options
    AllyPally_RobAllyPally_Rob Posts: 605
    Scott_P said:

@WikiGuido: Understand Suzanne Evans will make a statement later on speculation she is out in next stage of UKIP counter-putsch: http://t.co/kVEZNPUDw2

If they have got rid of her they are total idiots. She was their best asset, came across great on TV and a genuine star who had cross-party appeal.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

If they have got rid of her they are total idiots. She was their best asset, came across great on TV and a genuine star who had cross-party appeal.
    She lacks one critical attribute though: unthinking loyalty to Nigel Farage.
  • Options

There is but one Nigel; thou shalt worship no other Nigel than Nigel...
  • Options
    antifrank said:

Scott_P said:

She lacks one critical attribute though: unthinking loyalty to Nigel Farage.
    Weren't UKIP exposed for spying on their opponents the other day too? Really doesn't sound like a very pleasant organisation.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    MikeL said:

To go back to 650, a new Act of Parliament will be required - and it will be required immediately as under the current law the next Boundary review starts in approx 8 months time and it will be done to create 600 seats.

If they have a Bill to remove the requirement for a vote in the Commons on new boundaries, is it possible that there will be an amendment to put the numbers back to 650? If so, who would propose such an amendment?

I could see Labour proposing an amendment to determine boundaries on the basis of population instead of electorate, but would expect that to be defeated. Not so sure about changing the law back from 600 to 650.
  • Options

MikeL said:

If they have a Bill to remove the requirement for a vote in the Commons on new boundaries, is it possible that there will be an amendment to put the numbers back to 650? If so, who would propose such an amendment?

I could see Labour proposing an amendment to determine boundaries on the basis of population instead of electorate, but would expect that to be defeated. Not so sure about changing the law back from 600 to 650.
    I'd expect any vote would be heavily whipped.
  • Options
    edited May 2015

MikeL said:

Yes, I'm sure such an amendment will be proposed.

I also expect literally hundreds and hundreds of other amendments in the Lords - it will be a repeat of 2010 with the Committee stage in the Lords going on for days and days and days.

Whether the amendment to go back to 650 will be passed in the Commons - who knows - it needs 9 Con backbenchers to vote for it.

Remember 4 Con backbenchers voted with Lab / LD to cancel the last Boundary review - which is why Cameron cannot trust his backbenchers on this.

Which, in turn, is why the Bill will be needed because he can't trust them not to rebel and vote the whole thing down in 2018 (plus issue of Lords in 2018).
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    edited May 2015

Weren't UKIP exposed for spying on their opponents the other day too? Really doesn't sound like a very pleasant organisation.

Worse than that, their mole was trying to incite Farage's opponents to cause criminal damage, etc, in order that they could be discredited. As bad as.. the police, sadly.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

MikeL said:

I also expect literally hundreds and hundreds of other amendments in the Lords - it will be a repeat of 2010 with the Committee stage in the Lords going on for days and days and days.

Whether the amendment to go back to 650 will be passed in the Commons - who knows - it needs 9 Con backbenchers to vote for it.

Remember 4 Con backbenchers voted with Lab / LD to cancel the last Boundary review - which is why Cameron cannot trust his backbenchers on this.

Which, in turn, is why the Bill will be needed because he can't trust them not to rebel and vote the whole thing down in 2018 (plus issue of Lords in 2018).
    Well they aren't all disloyal. Were those four in seats under threat of being wiped off the map?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,028
    edited May 2015
    One key factor in the boundary review (It makes little odds long term to Con or Lab success probabilities I reckon) is that the Lib Dems won't be a major factor this time. They clearly voted against 600 in order to not become a near extinct party in single figures with their MPs.

That worked out well ;)
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    You know you've made it when you have frilly ruffs on your cuffs.

http://order-order.com/2015/05/19/lord-chancellor-michael-gove-sworn-in/
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    McFadden backs Liz. Woodcock too judging by his twitter reaction to this backing.
    Toby Perkins looks like a Liz's fans given his recent tweets.

Our friend Emma Double-Surname from South Shields backs Butcher.
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    Emma Double-Surname's acceptance speech remains unparalleled in my book...

McFadden backs Liz. Woodcock too judging by his twitter reaction to this backing.

• Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    I don;t see why the tories would stop to move to 600 just to save a handful of seats in Wales....????
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

One key factor in the boundary review (It makes little odds long term to Con or Lab success probabilities I reckon) is that the Lib Dems won't be a major factor this time. They clearly voted against 600 in order to not become a near extinct party in single figures with their MPs.

That worked out well ;)

Let's not get complacent though, still more to be done.

• Options
    Life_ina_market_townLife_ina_market_town Posts: 2,319
    edited May 2015
    simmonite said:

As often is the case, where do you draw the line, allow landlords to say no blacks or Irish? Or just no gays?

This is a question of law, and the line was drawn by the maker of the regulations. Whether a different balance could have been struck is of course a matter of political debate over which reasonable people may disagree. The regulations draw a fundamental distinction between direct and indirect discrimination. The former is unlawful per se; the latter is unlawful only where it cannot be objectively justified. What the District Judge decided was that refusing to bake a cake with a political message in support of gay marriage was direct discrimination on the grounds of sexual orientation. On the face of it, that seems very odd, given that a person may support or oppose gay marriage whether they are or homosexual, heterosexual or asexual.

The judge purported to follow Preddy v Bull [2013] 1 WLR 3741, where a bare majority of the Supreme Court (Lord Neuberger of Abbotsbury PSC & Lord Hughes JSC dissenting) held that civil partners were indistinguishable from married couples under the law, and thus that a refusal to serve to civil partners because they were not married amounted to direct discrimination on the ground of sexual orientation. Whether Preddy v Bull is rightly decided or not, it is clearly distinguishable, since support for gay marriage and being gay are not indistinguishable as a matter of law. The Judge was effectively bound by, and should have followed James v Eastleigh Borough Council [1990] 2 AC 751 (HL), where it was held that the claimant must demonstrate that he would have received different treatment from the defendant but for the protected characteristic. The District Judge did not even cite James v Eastleigh BC.
  • Options
    taffys said:

I don;t see why the tories would stop to move to 600 just to save a handful of seats in Wales....????

They won't.
  • Options
    I see CakeGate is back...
  • Options

simmonite said:

This is a question of law, and the line was drawn by the maker of the regulations. Whether a different balance could have been struck is of course a matter of political debate over which reasonable people may disagree. The regulations draw a fundamental distinction between direct and indirect discrimination. The former is unlawful per se; the latter is unlawful only where it cannot be objectively justified. What the District Judge decided was that refusing to bake a cake with a political message in support of gay marriage was direct discrimination on the grounds of sexual orientation. On the face of it, that seems very odd, given that a person may support or oppose gay marriage whether they are or homosexual, heterosexual or asexual.

The judge purported to follow Preddy v Bull [2013] 1 WLR 3741, where a bare majority of the Supreme Court (Lord Neuberger of Abbotsbury PSC & Lord Hughes JSC dissenting) held that civil partners were indistinguishable from married couples under the law, and thus that a refusal to serve to civil partners because they were not married amounted to direct discrimination on the ground of sexual orientation. Whether Preddy v Bull is rightly decided or not, it is clearly distinguishable, since support for gay marriage and being gay are not indistinguishable as a matter of law. The Judge was effectively bound by, and should have followed James v Eastleigh Borough Council [1990] 2 AC 751 (HL), where it was held that the claimant must demonstrate that he would have received different treatment from the defendant but for the protected characteristic. The District Judge did not even cite James v Eastleigh BC.
    This is an extremely valuable post, cuts through the histrionics we've seen on this issue. Thanks.
  • Options
    Liz McInnes from Heywood and Middleton makes Emma Double Surname look like government material
    Plato said:

• Options
    Dearie Me, I must find a clip of her. Does she need watering?

Liz McInnes from Heywood and Middleton makes Emma Double Surname look like government material

Plato said:

• Options
    edited May 2015
    MikeL said:

It is also important to note that the provisions of the Parliament Act 1911 do not apply to subordinate legislation, so as the law currently stands, the House of Lords has an indefeasible veto over the boundary changes in 2018. The difficulty the government will have if it tries to remove the requirement for Parliamentary approval of the draft Order in Council is that it will make the ouster clause in section 4(7) of the Parliamentary Constituencies Act 1986 much less likely to be effective to prevent judicial review. This could open the door to endless challenges to the Order in Council on the ground of procedural impropriety.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    RobD said:

Well they aren't all disloyal. Were those four in seats under threat of being wiped off the map?

Can't be bothered to check but from memory one was David Davis whose seat wasn't threatened.

The point is Cameron is on an absolute knife-edge over this - Con now has all 6 Cornish MPs who will be under massive pressure due to the need for a seat crossing the Devon / Cornwall border (that applies whether it's 600 or 650 - due to reduction in variance now allowed) plus likely Welsh rebellion plus other trouble makers - it's very, very easy to see 9 MPs rebelling.

I think there remains a very real risk that he doesn't get a Boundary review through this Parliament - whatever approach he follows he is in grave risk of defeat.

But best bet is to go for a Bill now - and remove the need for any votes in 2018.
  • Options
    Toby Perkins will chair Kendall's campaign

Manchester Evening News have a report on who the Greater Manchester MPs will back

Ann Coffey says she will nominate Kendall but she's unsure who to vote for.

Michael Meacher, Yasmine Qureshi, Yvonne Fovargue, Lisa Nandy, David Crausby and Barbara Keeley are backing Burnham along previously announced Abrahams and Gwynne.
    Lucy Powell says she will "almost certainly’ be backing Mr Burnham.

Mike Kane backs Creagh. Kate Green supports Cooper.

Rest is undecided.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

RobD said:

Can't be bothered to check but from memory one was David Davis whose seat wasn't threatened.

The point is Cameron is on an absolute knife-edge over this - Con now has all 6 Cornish MPs who will be under massive pressure due to the need for a seat crossing the Devon / Cornwall border (that applies whether it's 600 or 650 - due to reduction in variance now allowed) plus likely Welsh rebellion plus other trouble makers - it's very, very easy to see 9 MPs rebelling.

I think there remains a very real risk that he doesn't get a Boundary review through this Parliament - whatever approach he follows he is in grave risk of defeat.

But best bet is to go for a Bill now - and remove the need for any votes in 2018.
    Perhaps he should be looking forward to 2020 to see who is retiring. Parachuting isn't great, but provides an option. I'd agree the vote should happen sooner or later, while the backbenchers are onside (the PB Tory 1000 year reich phase).
  • Options
    My final comment for today. Alex Kane has reported that there is talk of the executive collapsing and that this will suit SF and the DUP. The SDLP is having its own leadership crisis at the moment and the UUP might not have the time to fully capitalise on the forward momentum gained on May 7. I'm less convinced. Sinn Fein are concentrating on the Irish elections and the fact that the UUP is no longer a force in terminal decline is fresh in voters' minds. I suspect the DUP is pretty confident that an early election won't harm them but SF probably want to concentrate efforts in Dublin. While the SDLP will fear the early election, they will circle the wagons at what would be a fairly naked attempt to take advantage of their internal issues.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,283

In other words she will certainly wait to see which way the wind is blowing.
  • Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFKuum1-1fw
    Plato said:

Plato said:

• Options

It is also important to note that the provisions of the Parliament Act 1911 do not apply to subordinate legislation, so as the law currently stands, the House of Lords has an indefeasible veto over the boundary changes in 2018. The difficulty the government will have if it tries to remove the requirement for Parliamentary approval of the draft Order in Council is that it will make the ouster clause in section 4(7) of the Parliamentary Constituencies Act 1986 much less likely to be effective to prevent judicial review. This could open the door to endless challenges to the Order in Council on the ground of procedural impropriety.

I know - which is why this is very, very, very awkward for Cameron.

However I still think the best bet is to go for a new Bill removing the need for any 2018 votes.

You probably know more than me on this but I suspect courts will not be sympathetic to what look like frivolous attempts to prevent an entire Boundary Review being implemented.

One other thing he might try is to bring the deadline for the reports forward from 1 October 2018 to say 1 June 2018 - that should still be feasible for the Commissions and it would just give that bit more of a buffer in case there are legal challenges.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Mr. Antifrank, we just had a pretty severe hailstorm here.

But I'm confused by your statement. We already know gay frisky time causes flooding, so surely the presence, rather than the absence, of gay cakes [and other culinary objects] would cause hail?

I prefer my gay cakes fresh, not frozen, thank you very much
  • Options

Uh oh. ToriesForBurnham™ not too sure about that...
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,013
    simmonite said:

Incidentally, if District Judge Brownlie's assessment of the law is correct, it is now unlawful throughout the United Kingdom for a Muslim printer to refuse to print cartoons of his Prophet, for an atheist baker to refuse to accept to bake a cake with the slogan all "Infidels will burn in Hell" or for a church newspaper which accepts advertising to refuse to print pro-abortion advertisements. That is an intolerable threat to freedom of expression.

I think where you draw the line is to allow people not to give a platform for the publication of opinions that they disagree with.
  • Options
    @Neil_FindlayMSP: I think I might sit in Nicola Sturgeon's seat at FMQs on Thursday in solidarity with comrade Skinner - nowt in the rules to stop me!
  • Options
    I think she needs a double dose of Baby Bio to help with her braincell function. :open_mouth:

://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFKuum1-1fw

Plato said:

Plato said:

• Options
    @Lucian_Fletcher What would you estimate the probability of a by-election in Belfast South at ?

*_*
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@Neil_FindlayMSP: I think I might sit in Nicola Sturgeon's seat at FMQs on Thursday in solidarity with comrade Skinner - nowt in the rules to stop me!

Titter
  • Options
    Is Tristram Hunt going to get a single MP :?
  • Options

simmonite said:

Spot on. Para 42 really stood out, where the District Judge ruled that support for gay marriage and homosexual sexual orientation were essentially one and the same thing, which as a matter of both law and fact has to be incorrect.
  • Options
    This is all so satchels rather than handbags, isn't it?!

I'm just very glad not to be anywhere near it - though it's very amusing and incredibly childish.
    RobD said:

Scott_P said:

Titter
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

simmonite said:

Spot on. Para 42 really stood out, where the District Judge ruled that support for gay marriage and homosexual sexual orientation were essentially one and the same thing, which as a matter of both law and fact has to be incorrect.
    Room for appeal?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,087
    Pulpstar said:

Is Tristram Hunt going to get a single MP :?

Presuming his intention was to keep a high profile so he could get an even better shadow cabinet post, it would be most embarrassing indeed to not get into double figures at least, I'd have thought.

Seeing some of the posts on here today, I'm minded to think, not for the first time, that I should really get all my legal advice from PB. Now if only I needed legal advice.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

@Lucian_Fletcher What would you estimate the probability of a by-election in Belfast South at ?

*_*

Low. There would likely end up being an agreed unionist candidate in such circumstances. SDLP in no state to be able throw away a seat. I expect there will be some agreement short of a resignation from the Commons. Though I don't see how they avoid some bloodletting of some sort. It looks messy from the outside. The candidate in F&ST was astoundingly poor. You would have almost have suspected he was purposely awful to push nationalists to Michelle Gildernew!
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Sean_F said:

The judgment is poorly argued. But James v Eastleigh BC is of limited relevance where, as here, the court, reasonably, concluded that the bakery assumed that the plaintiff was gay on the basis of the cake that he ordered. Anyone of any orientation would therefore presumably be assumed to be gay by the bakery, so that would take us no further forward, since they would all receive the same treatment (which is arguably related to the presumed sexuality).

A central question for me, which was unanswered, is whether the bakery would have refused to make any cake with a message where its owners in all conscience felt that it went against their beliefs or just this one. If the bakers would have made other cakes with messages of which they disapproved ("free IRA prisoners", perhaps), then that would seem to me to be discrimination on the ground of sexual orientation.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053

Speedy said:

As for the news that Farage is getting rid of his critics inside UKIP, the fact is simple, as long as Farage has a majority of members on his side no one can move him out but he can move everyone else out.

There are 3 ways which Farage will no longer be UKIP leader:
    1. Death or physical incapacitation.
    2. Willing retirement.
    3. A UKIP senior figure that eclipses Farage within the membership.

4. Being caught in bed with Angela Merkel?

That's absolutely grotesque!
  • Options
    It seems there are alot of ways for lawyers to bake a cake :D
  • Options
    Plato said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chOhUZ7SwG4
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,190
    Scott_P said:

Uh oh. ToriesForBurnham™ not too sure about that...
    The wiggle room might be in case she can get 35 names herself?

ToriesForLucy!!
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Two threads' worth and we haven't had a single fairy cake joke. pb is slipping.
  • Options
    NEWS YOU CAN REALLY USE

Marriage of Sarah Palin's daughter BRISTOL PALIN (can hear you Brits giggling) and US Congressional Medal of Honor winner DAKOTA MEYER is off.

Supposedly due to "tabloid" rumors that he's (allegedly) already married
  • Options
    antifrank said:

Sean_F said:

The judge purported to follow Preddy v Bull [2013] 1 WLR 3741, where a bare majority of the Supreme Court (Lord Neuberger of Abbotsbury PSC & Lord Hughes JSC dissenting) held that civil partners were indistinguishable from married couples under the law, and thus that a refusal to serve to civil partners because they were er of law. The Judge was effectively bound by, and should have followed James v Eastleigh Borough Council [1990] 2 AC 751 (HL), where it was held that the claimant must demonstrate that he would have received different treatment from the defendant but for the protected characteristic. The District Judge did not even cite James v Eastleigh BC.

The judgment is poorly argued. But James v Eastleigh BC is of limited relevance where, as here, the court, reasonably, concluded that the bakery assumed that the plaintiff was gay on the basis of the cake that he ordered. Anyone of any orientation would therefore presumably be assumed to be gay by the bakery, so that would take us no further forward, since they would all receive the same treatment.

A central question for me, which was unanswered, is whether the bakery would have refused to make any cake with a message where its owners in all conscience felt that it went against their beliefs or just this one. If the bakers would have made other cakes with messages of which they disapproved ("free IRA prisoners", perhaps), then that would seem to me to be discrimination on the ground of sexual orientation.
    I can't answer for Ashers, but given that they're evangelical Protestants, i'd be surprised if they'd take such an order (although, after this ruling, I don't think they'd have any choice).
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    MikeL said:

However I still think the best bet is to go for a new Bill removing the need for any 2018 votes.

You probably know more than me on this but I suspect courts will not be sympathetic to what look like frivolous attempts to prevent an entire Boundary Review being implemented.

The authorities dealing with the House of Commons (Redistribution of Seats) Act 1949 are confused and probably would not be decided in the same fashion today. Suffice to say they all considered that Parliament's ability to remedy flaws in the Commission's recommendations reduced the "rules" governing the redistribution of seats to guidelines, and made successful judicial review difficult if not impossible. If the ability to remedy defects vested solely in the executive, this line of authority seemingly would not apply...
    Sean_F said:

It is a classic and worrying example of the courts accepting the views of the practitioners of identity politics at face value. Whether appellate courts have the courage to reverse this madness will be interesting to see.
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046
    Pulpstar said:

TGOHF said:

The SNP lost the election for the SNP - they may have swept Scotland but were so toxic and repellent to the rUk that they ensured their coalition buddies Labour were holed beneath the water line.

If they want to have influence in Westminster they may need not to be so narrow minded regarding their coalition partners.

It may also be wise of SNP MPs to not deliberately antagonise their only possible coalition partner at Westminster by fighting over trivialities.
    Getting the whole of the Westminster establishment against them is not outwith the SNP's interests... Labour OTOH need the SNP more than the SNP need Labour.
    I think the vast majority of the SNP MPs will become extremely hard working constituency MPs, given that each of them has over 1,000 party members to deploy they will be even more effective. The SNP MPs are not interested in being liked at Westminster, maintaining a high profile is all they need to do to keep their supporters on side. The MSM demonizing of the SNP is only going to drive the surge, surprised this hasn't sunk in yet.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,190
    antifrank said:

Pulpstar said:

Two threads' worth and we haven't had a single fairy cake joke. pb is slipping.
    Indeed.

Cream puff, anyone?
  • Options
    RobD said:

When Lord Hailsham was Lord Chancellor, he was great friends with Neil Marten. Neil was taking a group of constituents around the Palace of Westminster when Hailsham entered the Great Hall, in full regalia, with various mace- and rod-wielding flunkies in pantaloons.

Known for his impish sense of humour, Hailsham raised one hand in the air and boomed across the empty hall "Neil!".

With predictable results...
  • Options
    antifrank said:

The judgment is poorly argued. But James v Eastleigh BC is of limited relevance where, as here, the court, reasonably, concluded that the bakery assumed that the plaintiff was gay on the basis of the cake that he ordered. Anyone of any orientation would therefore presumably be assumed to be gay by the bakery, so that would take us no further forward, since they would all receive the same treatment (which is arguably related to the presumed sexuality).

James v Eastleigh Borough Council is authority for the proposition that the motive of the defendant is irrelevant in assessing whether the claimant was treated differently "on the ground of" the protected characteristic. Contrast the speeches of the majority with the dissents of Lord Griffiths and Lord Lowry, who argued that the question of motive was inseparable from the words "on the ground of". What the claimant must show is that he would have been treated differently but for the protected characteristic. That is an objective question of causation. Unless the bizarre doctrine in Fairchild v Glenhaven Funeral Services Ltd [2003] 1 AC 32 (HL) is extended, the claimant must show that the bakery would have baked the cake with a message in support of gay marriage had a heterosexual or asexual person ordered it. Given the judge rejected this test at [41] as "it oversimplifies the enquiry", it seems clear she misdirected herself in law.
  • Options

The authorities dealing with the House of Commons (Redistribution of Seats) Act 1949 are confused and probably would not be decided in the same fashion today. Suffice to say they all considered that Parliament's ability to remedy flaws in the Commission's recommendations reduced the "rules" governing the redistribution of seats to guidelines, and made successful judicial review difficult if not impossible. If the ability to remedy defects vested solely in the executive, this line of authority seemingly would not apply

I do vaguely remember a legal challenge against a Boundary review - not sure but think it may have involved Ed Balls / Yvette Cooper.

From memory the Courts were very dismissive - I think the point was made that a disagreement over one seat should not be allowed to derail the review for the whole country.

It's also quite hard to argue that the Boundary Commission has done anything wrong - as long as they hold all the consultations properly and abide by all rules then it's hard to challenge solely on the basis that you don't like their final decision.

I fully respect what you say on this but I do think if Cameron can get the Order in Council done by mid 2018 it's pretty unlikely that the courts would prevent the new seats being used in 2020.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,218
    edited May 2015
    Calum In Canada the Bloc Quebecois won most seats in Quebec at every Canadian general election from 1993 to 2011. I would not be surprised if Scotland follows suit, especially because the SNP can easily win most seats on a minority vote. I think the SNP are more likely to lose their majority at Holyrood because of the PR element and more tactical voting, indeed Quebec general elections switched every 2 or 3 elections between the Liberals and the Nationalists
  • Options
    Charles said:

RobD said:

When Lord Hailsham was Lord Chancellor, he was great friends with Neil Marten. Neil was taking a group of constituents around the Palace of Westminster when Hailsham entered the Great Hall, in full regalia, with various mace- and rod-wielding flunkies in pantaloons.

Known for his impish sense of humour, Hailsham raised one hand in the air and boomed across the empty hall "Neil!".

If only his name was "Neil Peasant" :D
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    Charles said:

RobD said:

I knew Lord Hailsham slightly in his latter years. He still cycled everywhere in his late 80's bicycle clips and all, a man of immense faith, crushed(IMHO) by the death of his second wife.
    I moved away, I think he married again,

He was a wonderful man and brilliant to listen to. There have not been many politicians of his calibre
  • Options
    RobD said:

Charles said:

RobD said:

If only his name was "Neil Peasant" :D
    Indeed. Hailsham and Neil were drinking buddies (along with Piggy Boyd-Carpenter). Piggy's daughter actually ended up marrying Hailsham's son.
  • Options

Charles said:

RobD said:

I knew Lord Hailsham slightly in his latter years. He still cycled everywhere in his late 80's bicycle clips and all, a man of immense faith, crushed(IMHO) by the death of his second wife.
    I moved away, I think he married again,

He was a wonderful man and brilliant to listen to. There have not been many politicians of his calibre
    I know. He was a good man - he used to read me Asterix in Latin when I was a kid :)

(sent you a PM, by the way)
  • Options

MikeL said:

The authorities dealing with the House of Commons (Redistribution of Seats) Act 1949 are confused and probably would not be decided in the same fashion today. Suffice to say they all considered that Parliament's ability to remedy flaws in the Commission's recommendations reduced the "rules" governing the redistribution of seats to guidelines, and made successful judicial review difficult if not impossible. If the ability to remedy defects vested solely in the executive, this line of authority seemingly would not apply...
    Sean_F said:

It is a classic and worrying example of the courts accepting the views of the practitioners of identity politics at face value. Whether appellate courts have the courage to reverse this madness will be interesting to see.
    In light of the ruling, if a gay baker were to refuse an order from a Free Presbyterian for a cake bearing the slogan "Save Ulster from sodomy" would he/she be guilty of discrimination on grounds of religious or political belief?
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Pulpstar said:

That worked out well ;)

The LDs needed to pull the plug early. They looked down at their busted flush and rather than folding they kept shovelling money into the pot.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Calum In Canada the Bloc Quebecois won most seats in Quebec at every Canadian general election from 1993 to 2011. I would not be surprised if Scotland follows suit, especially because the SNP can easily win most seats on a minority vote. I think the SNP are more likely to lose their majority at Holyrood because of the PR element and more tactical voting, indeed Quebec general elections switched every 2 or 3 elections between the Liberals and the Nationalists

Voting intentions for Holyrood have the SNP 7% ahead of their 2011 performance, unless their support collapses tactical voting will only save a few seats. Tactical voting at the regional list level could be dangerous. For example if SCUP voters in Glasgow vote SLAB, Ruth could lose her seat, similarly if SLAB vote SCUP they could lose a seat.

Turnout will also be a factor, likely be lower than GE2015, I think this will benefit the SNP. At the end of the day even if the SNP fall short of a majority the Greens will support them.
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    I have shaken hands with Gerry Adams and with Prince Charles, but not both at the same time. I wonder how many people have done both?
  • Options
    Re the Oath today.....some of the MPs full names

Jeremy Richard Streynsham Hunt
    Tristram Julian William Hunt
    Maria Frances Lewis Miller
    Benjamin Peter James Bradshaw
    John Flashy Lawrence Whittingdale
    Nicholas Edward Coleridge Boles
    David London Lammy
    Roderick James Nugent Stewart
    Alan Arthur Johnson
    Andrew Murray Burnham
    Ian Richard Peregrine Liddell-Grainger
    Alan Gordon Barraclough Haselhurst
    Ifor Huw Irranca-Davies
    Lady Victoria Lorne Peta Borwick
    Lucy Maria Powell
    Nicholas William Peter Clegg
  • Options
    Flashy??

Re the Oath today.....some of the MPs full names

Jeremy Richard Streynsham Hunt
    Tristram Julian William Hunt
    Maria Frances Lewis Miller
    Benjamin Peter James Bradshaw
    John Flashy Lawrence Whittingdale
    Nicholas Edward Coleridge Boles
    David London Lammy
    Roderick James Nugent Stewart
    Alan Arthur Johnson
    Andrew Murray Burnham
    Ian Richard Peregrine Liddell-Grainger
    Alan Gordon Barraclough Haselhurst
    Ifor Huw Irranca-Davies
    Lady Victoria Lorne Peta Borwick
    Lucy Maria Powell
    Nicholas William Peter Clegg

• Options
    Sean_F said:

In light of the ruling, if a gay baker were to refuse an order from a Free Presbyterian for a cake bearing the slogan "Save Ulster from sodomy" would he/she be guilty of discrimination on grounds of religious or political belief?

The Judge held that at [42] that:
    [I]f a comparator is required, the correct comparator is a heterosexual person placing an order for a cake with the graphics either “Support Marriage” or “Support Heterosexual Marriage.”
    Presumably, unless the homosexual baker would have also refused an order from a homosexual for a cake with a slogan saying "Support sodomy in Ulster", he would have committed direct discrimination against the Free Presbyterian on the ground of his religion. After all, if the Judge is right, membership of the Free Presbyterian Church is probably "indissociable" from opposition to homosexuality in Ulster. From having a quick scan of Part VI of the County Courts (Northern Ireland) Order 1980, it seems that the bakery could either appeal as of right to the High Court, or apply to the judge to state a case on a point of law for the opinion of the Court of Appeal. Only if they do the latter, it would appear, can the case end up in the Supreme Court.
  • Options
    Away from cakes, and back to the point of the thread, why is the Irish Nationalist vote in decline?

Back in the mid-90's, I can remember plenty of predictions of a Nationalist Northern Ireland by 2016, yet he we are with the Nationalists polling 37/38%.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,812
    @RobD and @Ishmael_X - thanks for the tips. Will give that a go.
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    Hooray! I've only just remembered that this week is the Eurovision Sonk Ontest. I'm hoping there will be some cute people like Alexander Rybak (Norway 2009) or whoever.
  • Options
    Mr Rybak is yummy. His winning song is my phone ringtone. :smiley: 64m plays...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiH4BFTELME
    JohnLoony said:

Hooray! I've only just remembered that this week is the Eurovision Sonk Ontest. I'm hoping there will be some cute people like Alexander Rybak (Norway 2009) or whoever.

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,218
    Calum If, for example, Tories vote Labour in Glasgow or Edinburgh but Tory on the list that would be a sensible strategy. The Greens also only have 2 seats so that does not give the SNP that much leeway and the SNP and Greens do not agree on anything anyway
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Calum If, for example, Tories vote Labour in Glasgow or Edinburgh but Tory on the list that would be a sensible strategy. The Greens also only have 2 seats so that does not give the SNP that much leeway and the SNP and Greens do not agree on anything anyway

I don't think Tories voting Labour at a Glasgow constituency level would save many seats. Ruth got 5.9% of the Glasgow list vote in 2011, by encouraging Glasgow Tories to vote tactically at a constituency level, there must be a risk that many of them not fully understanding the regional list would end up voting SLAB on the list as well. On current polling the Greens are likely to get between 5-10 seats.
This discussion has been closed.