Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » A guest slot by Lucian on the Northern Ireland dimension –

SystemSystem Posts: 11,688
edited May 2015 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » A guest slot by Lucian on the Northern Ireland dimension – the re-emergence of the UUP

There is little doubt that the UUP will regard the general election as a success. They had no seats, they now have two. Fermanagh and South Tyrone was won by Tom Elliott after a deal was struck with the DUP and other unionist parties. South Antrim was taken from the DUP’s William McCrea by Danny Kinahan.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    edited May 2015
    First. And my first question is: what is the difference between the DUP and UUP in both policy and sectarian terms?
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    edited May 2015
    Fermanagh and South Tyrone was won by Tom Elliott
    Two seats were won by one person?
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    Thanks for this, Lucian. What do you think the mildly impressive UKIP vote represents?
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Plato said:

Two seats were won by one person?Ah ha ha ha. Best stick to the day job :)

Second question: Where do the parties stand on the vexed topic of annotated baked goods?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Plato said:

Rochester and Strood were won by one person too................................................................................................................................................................................
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,798
    A welcome piece, arising from some of the more interesting results of the GE, so it's good to see what some of the implications moving forward might be. Didn't the UUP come close in an SDLP Belfast seat as well, or was that the DUP?

Normalising politics in NI by having a proper opposition sounds good, but are they ready? I'd hope so, and there seems to be some appetite for considering it, but every now and then something crops up inthe politics there just to be depressingly static it seems.

Still, all sides agreed they wanted more money from the Treasury I think, so they can all agree on some things.
  • Options
    I'm pleading the Fifth here :sweat_smile:
    Anorak said:

Plato said:

Ah ha ha ha. Best stick to the day job :)

Second question: Where do the parties stand on the vexed topic of annotated baked goods?

• Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    Pulpstar said:

Plato said:

Rochester and Strood were won by one person too................................................................................................................................................................................

But two parties.
  • Options
    Bond_James_BondBond_James_Bond Posts: 1,939
    Anorak said:

Plato said:

Ah ha ha ha. Best stick to the day job :)

* splutters Coke all over monitor *
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    I've just read Alex Salmond's column in the Courier about Jim Murphy. He certainly knows how to write a column designed to get a reaction.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited May 2015
    Great to have Lucian contributing again, and also good to hear about NI which tends to get largely ignored by the mainland media.

In the Westminster parliament, presumably those two UUP MPs will be fairly reliable supporters of the government, which could be critical if the current small majority gets whittled away in by-elections.
  • Options
    OT Does anyone know how to watch a BBC4 programme without the signing man on the screen? I keep getting him and no idea why. Is he obligatory on certain documentaries?
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,325
    Plato said:

OT Does anyone know how to watch a BBC4 programme without the signing man on the screen? I keep getting him and no idea why. Is he obligatory on certain documentaries?

I thought BBC 4 is only available after 7pm??
  • Options
    Plato said:

Highbury and Islington is served by a single station :)
  • Options
    So no-one knows the difference between the parties? Is this one of those PFJ/JPF things that only makes sense to those on the inside?
  • Options
    Anorak said:

First. And my first question is: what is the difference between the DUP and UUP in both policy and sectarian terms?

DUP have a preponderance of Paisley's Free Presbyterian Church members.
  • Options
    Welcome back to PB, Lucian! Nice article too!
  • Options

Anorak said:

Well that's nice. At the risk of exposing my ignorance of NI matters yet further: so what?
  • Options
    Anorak said:

Anorak said:

Well that's nice. At the risk of exposing my ignorance of NI matters yet further: so what?
    You could say the DUP are more right-wing than the UUP

Back in 1998, they opposed the Good Friday agreement, along with the now defunct UKUP.
  • Options
    AllyPally_RobAllyPally_Rob Posts: 605
    Anorak said:

So no-one knows the difference between the parties? Is this one of those PFJ/JPF things that only makes sense to those on the inside?

I think the real difference is that the UUP were responsible for negotiating the Good Friday Agreement, and lots of unionists saw them as sell outs.

Visa Versa the SDLP were seen in the same light by the nationalists. Both communities decided that in future they were best placed 'negotiating from Strength', hence why SF & the DUP have both prospered, because they are seen to stand up firmer for each community.

Ironic really when both the DUP and SF have learned to live with eachother.

David Trimble is the Nick Clegg of Northern Ireland. Believing he put is countries long term interest ahead of his party.
  • Options
    Nationalist vote in NI since the 1997 General Election:

https://twitter.com/Sunil_P2/status/597933396283777024
  • Options
    What happened to FF?

Anorak said:

I think the real difference is that the UUP were responsible for negotiating the Good Friday Agreement, and lots of unionists saw them as sell outs.

Visa Versa the SDLP were seen in the same light by the nationalists. Both communities decided that in future they were best placed 'negotiating from Strength', hence why SF & the DUP have both prospered, because they are seen to stand up firmer for each community.

David Trimble is the Nick Clegg of Northern Ireland. Believing he put is countries long term interest ahead of his party.
  • Options
    edited May 2015

Anorak said:

See also the horrific state of Labour & the Lib Dems in Scotland. I wouldn't be surprised at all if the next result in Scotland was something like (ignoring boundary changes):

SNP 49 Con 6 Lab 3 LD 1
  • Options
    Plato said:

What happened to FF?

Anorak said:

I think they have started organising in the Province but they haven't stood in any elections.
  • Options
    Holyrood's PR system will be fascinating at their next elections.

See also the horrific state of Labour & the Lib Dems in Scotland. I wouldn't be surprised at all if the next result in Scotland was something like (ignoring boundary changes):

SNP 49 Con 6 Lab 3 LD 1

• Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Does anyone (AndyJS?) have a breakdown of votes by English region? For some reason, the BBC hasn't provided one. Thanks!
  • Options

Anorak said:

SNP 49 Con 6 Lab 3 LD 1
    Where do you anticipate the 6 Con gains ?

3 borders and WAK, but after that it gets tricky - Stirling and East Renfrewshire or Perth North Perthshire ?
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @rowenamason: Patrick O'Flynn steps down as Ukip economic spokesman and apologises for calling Nigel Farage "snarling, thin-skinned and aggressive"
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,344
    Interesting piece - thanks Lucian. Most of us struggle to get any grip at all on what's happening in Northern Ireland.

The cake debate on the last thread reminds me of an incident during the campaign. We decided to rent a shopfront for 6 weeks, and reached agreement with the leaseholder on an empty shop. However, the freeholder was outraged ("I don't want my shop rented out to the bloody reds") and although under her agreement with the leaseholder, the latter was entitled to sublet, she raised practical issues to make it difficult, e.g. dragging her feet on reconnecting the electricity. We shrugged, and took a different shop instead.

Now there is no legal bar against discriminating for political reasons, But if we'd been a religious group, would this behaviour have constituted illegal discrimination? Is subletting a shop a normal trading activity?
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Danny565 said:

Does anyone (AndyJS?) have a breakdown of votes by English region? For some reason, the BBC hasn't provided one. Thanks!

Andy has been listing these breakdowns in PB over the last few days. I don't have the party-wise breakdowns (I should have noted them down!), but I tweeted the total Left-wing/Right-wing splits yesterday. Just for a bit of fun, and to compensate for the lack of opinion polls :)

https://twitter.com/Sunil_P2/status/600283502966345729
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    http://www.gatestoneinstitute.org/5777/britain-rule-of-law

But the question that hangs over Rotherham -- and which even the latest independent review could not answer -- is why so many people got away with these crimes for so long. It was left to a few intrepid journalists and four private citizens to uphold the law.

"It appears inevitable that Mr. Rahman will denounce this judgement as yet another instance of the racism and Islamophobia that have hounded him. ... It is nothing of the sort. The law must apply fairly and equally to everyone. Otherwise we are lost." — Judge Richard Mawrey QC.

Bad people do bad things, but when all the institutions of state fail to stop them, that is a problem for us all.

Not only that a very dubious judgement in N. Ireland
    A judge has ruled that a Christian-run bakery discriminated against a gay customer by refusing to make a cake with a pro-gay marriage slogan.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-32791239

if this is not enough, MORDOR is distributing RINGS again

PHOTO: ISIS rings confiscated by Israeli security forces at Ben Gurion Airport headed for Ramallah. pic.twitter.com/dqShyFDVWm

— Israel News Feed (@IsraelHatzolah) May 19, 2015
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    Worth pointing out that the electoral system for the Assembly is six-member STV constituencies for the 18 Westminster constituencies. This means, for example, that there are just four constituencies that didn't elect any SF members in 2011 and only one constituency that didn't elect any for the DUP.
  • Options
    edited May 2015

Danny565 said:

Andy has been listing these breakdowns in PB over the last few days. I don't have the party-wise breakdowns (I should have noted them down!), but I tweeted the total Left-wing/Right-wing splits yesterday. Just for a bit of fun, and to compensate for the lack of opinion polls :)

Thanks! But do you have a breakdown for each individual party by region? :p
  • Options
    @steve_hawkes: UKIP's @oflynnmep stands down as economics spokesman - just half an hour ago the party was saying there was little chance
  • Options

Anorak said:

Thanks. So the UUP were (historically) the moderate unionists, with the DUP being tub-thumping headbangers. Now they are the more powerful force, and Rev. Paisley has added his dulcet tones to the choir eternal, and the Troubles have faded, the DUP have moderated.

So nowadays is there a meaningful difference? Other than that carried in the very, very long memories of the locals?
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Pulpstar said:

Where do you anticipate the 6 Con gains ?

3 borders and WAK, but after that it gets tricky - Stirling and East Renfrewshire or Perth North Perthshire ?

Only 5 Con gains :-) Will depend on boundary changes but as well as your suggestions they might have a shot around Edinburgh somewhere (SW?) or alternatively former Lib seats like Fife NE. Very speculative this far out.
  • Options
    @rosschawkins: The UKIP rule that Ukippers who pick fights with Farage lose seems to be as reliable as ever
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Danny565 said:

Thanks! But do you have a breakdown for each individual party by region? :p
    As I said I should have noted them down!

If Andy's not around, I'll try and find them in previous threads right now :)
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,311
    So the Alliance Party managed to increase its share of the vote by 2.2% but lost their only seat?

And the SDLP had the largest fall in their share of the vote and lost no seats at all?

I fear that despite Lucian's excellent effort NI politics is going to stay in my "too difficult" tray.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,632
    Anorak said:

Anorak said:

Thanks. So the UUP were (historically) the moderate unionists, with the DUP being tub-thumping headbangers. Now they are the more powerful force, and Rev. Paisley has added his dulcet tones to the choir eternal, and the Troubles have faded, the DUP have moderated.

So nowadays is there a meaningful difference? Other than that carried in the very, very long memories of the locals?
    UUP Middle Class, DUP Working Class?
  • Options
    @Danny565

Hat-tip to AndyJS:

Yorkshire & The Humber region (with correct 2010 figures):

2015:
    Lab: 956,837 (39.15%)
    Con: 796,822 (32.60%)
    UKIP: 391,923 (16.03%)
    LD: 174,069 (7.12%)
    Greens; 86,471 (3.54%)
    Others: 38,055 (1.56%)
    TOTAL: 2,444,177

2010:
    Lab: 826,537 (34.35%)
    Con: 790,062 (32.83%)
    LD: 552,570 (22.96%)
    UKIP: 68,378 (2.84%)
    Greens: 20,824 (0.87%)
    Others: 148,048 (6.15%)
  • Options
    @Danny565

Hat-tip to AndyJS:

North West region:

2015:
    Lab: 1,502,047 (44.65%)
    Con: 1,050,124 (31.22%)
    UKIP: 459,071 (13.65%)
    LD: 219,998 (6.54%)
    Greens: 107,889 (3.21%)
    Others: 24,926 (0.74%)
    TOTAL: 3,364,055

2010:
    Lab: 1,292,978 (39.47%)
    Con: 1,038,967 (31.71%)
    LD: 707,770 (21.60%)
    UKIP: 103,782 (3.17%)
    Greens: 17,046 (0.52%)
    Others: 115,687 (3.53%)
    TOTAL: 3,276,230
  • Options
    AllyPally_RobAllyPally_Rob Posts: 605
    Anorak said:

Anorak said:

Yeah that's pretty much it.

I also think its to do with Game Theory.

The Nationalists/Republicans are convinced the Unionists will vote for the most 'extreme' mainstream option, in this case the DUP. So they vote for their own 'extremists' SF.

The Unionists are convinced the Nats will vote for the most 'extreme' mainstream option, in this case SF, so they vote for their own 'extremists' the DUP.

Hope that makes sense?!
  • Options
    A small example of David Cameron's loyalty to those who have been loyal to him.

The appointment of the new Advocate General for Scotland has been delayed for well over a week now. The reason is that the person to be appointed is Richard Keen QC who is currently acting for a certain Mr Coulson in a trial before the High Court in Edinburgh.

Any actual appointment has clearly been delayed so as not to interrupt his defence.

Thoughtful.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

So the Alliance Party managed to increase its share of the vote by 2.2% but lost their only seat?

And the SDLP had the largest fall in their share of the vote and lost no seats at all?

I fear that despite Lucian's excellent effort NI politics is going to stay in my "too difficult" tray.

That's FPTP, rather than NI politics, though. The Alliance Party lost their seat because the UUP stood aside in Belfast East as a quid pro quo for the DUP giving the UUP a free run in Fermanagh and South Tyrone.

These considerations don't apply with STV in six-member constituencies.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,043

Interesting piece - thanks Lucian. Most of us struggle to get any grip at all on what's happening in Northern Ireland.

The cake debate on the last thread reminds me of an incident during the campaign. We decided to rent a shopfront for 6 weeks, and reached agreement with the leaseholder on an empty shop. However, the freeholder was outraged ("I don't want my shop rented out to the bloody reds") and although under her agreement with the leaseholder, the latter was entitled to sublet, she raised practical issues to make it difficult, e.g. dragging her feet on reconnecting the electricity. We shrugged, and took a different shop instead.

Now there is no legal bar against discriminating for political reasons, But if we'd been a religious group, would this behaviour have constituted illegal discrimination? Is subletting a shop a normal trading activity?

I think you're being a bit unfair. The freeholder probably just wanted to save your campaign money. After all, your competitor had given up ...
  • Options
    @Danny565

Hat-tip to AndyJS:

South East region:

2015:
    Con: 2,234,440 (50.85%)
    Lab: 804,774 (18.31%)
    UKIP: 641,475 (14.60%)
    LD: 413,586 (9.41%)
    Greens: 233,759 (5.32%)
    Others: 66,407 (1.51%)
    TOTAL: 4,394,441

2010:
    Con: 2,140,895 (49.86%)
    LD: 1,124,786 (26.19%)
    Lab: 697,567 (16.24%)
    UKIP: 177,269 (4.13%)
    Greens: 62,124 (1.45%)
    Others: 91,599 (2.13%)
    TOTAL: 4,294,240
  • Options
    Thanks Sunil! :)
  • Options
    edited May 2015

I also think its to do with Game Theory.

The Nationalists/Republicans are convinced the Unionists will vote for the most 'extreme' mainstream option, in this case the DUP. So they vote for their own 'extremists' SF.

The Unionists are convinced the Nats will vote for the most 'extreme' mainstream option, in this case SF, so they vote for their own 'extremists' the DUP.

Hope that makes sense?!

Let's just say it's confirmed all my suspicions about politics in Northern Ireland. Basically the European version of Sunnis vs Shias.
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561
    edited May 2015
    OT: Immigration and swing to Labour

I have regressed Andy JS's data on regional Con-Lab swings against net immigration as a proportion of the population between 2008-13 (the last five-year period for which I could find statistics). I took out Scotland, where the Con-Lab swing isn't very meaningful because the main movement was to the SNP.

The result shows a positive correlation of 0.4898: net immigration is associated with a higher swing to Labour. Almost one half of the variation in Con-Lab swings is explained in that way.

However, a couple of caveats: as usual, correlation does not mean causation; and the sample size is small, leading to small t-statistics.
  • Options
    Plato said:

You don't get to choose. If it was broadcast with the signing man then that is how it is available on iPlayer. This happens when the BBC rebroadcast something with signing but don't also repeat it without the signing.

If it's more than 30 days after the broadcast without the signing then it can be that only the broadcast with the signing is available on iplayer.
  • Options
    Hat-tip to AndyJS:

Eastern region:

2015:
    Con: 1,445,946 (47.74%)
    Lab: 649,320 (21.44%)
    UKIP: 558,517 (18.44%)
    LD: 243,191 (8.03%)
    Greens: 116,274 (3.84%)
    Others: 15,374 (0.51%)
    TOTAL: 3,028,622

2010:
    Con: 1,356,739 (47.12%)
    LD: 692,932 (24.07%)
    Lab: 564,581 (19.61%)
    UKIP: 123,237 (4.28%)
    Greens: 42,677 (1.48%)
    Others: 98,951 (3.44%)
    TOTAL: 2,879,117
  • Options

Hat-tip to AndyJS:

South West region:

2015:
    Con: 1,319,994 (46.54%)
    Lab: 501,684 (17.69%)
    LD: 428,873 (15.12%)
    UKIP: 384,546 (13.56%)
    Greens: 168,130 (5.93%)
    Others: 33,013 (1.16%)
    TOTAL: 2,836,240

2010:
    Con: 1,187,637 (42.82%)
    LD: 962,954 (34.72%)
    Lab: 426,910 (15.39%)
    UKIP: 123,975 (4.47%)
    Greens: 31,517 (1.14%)
    Other: 40,450 (1.46%)
    TOTAL: 2,773,443
  • Options
    @JoeWatts_: "I think it appropriate to stand down," says Ukip's @oflynnmep, completing Farage's destruction of the coup. He can't sack Carswell though.
  • Options
    @iainmartin1: .@oflynnmep has apologised to Nigel Farage for being right http://t.co/oBt7SYDoMz
  • Options
    Hat-tip to AndyJS:

West Midlands region:

2015:
    Con: 1,098,110 (41.77%)
    Lab: 865,075 (32.91%)
    UKIP: 412,770 (15.70%)
    LD: 145,009 (5.52%)
    Greens: 85,653 (3.26%)
    Others: 22,322 (0.85%)
    TOTAL: 2,628,939

2010:
    Con: 1,044,081 (39.54%)
    Lab: 808,114 (30.60%)
    LD: 540,160 (20.46%)
    UKIP: 105,685 (4.00%)
    Greens: 14,996 (0.57%)
    TOTAL: 2,640,465
  • Options
    Hat-tip to AndyJS:

East Midlands region:

2015:
    Con: 969,379 (43.46%)
    Lab: 705,787 (31.64%)
    UKIP: 351,777 (15.77%)
    LD: 124,039 (5.56%)
    Greens: 66,239 (2.97%)
    Others: 13,201 (0.59%)
    TOTAL: 2,230,422

2010:
    Con: 915,933 (41.18%)
    Lab: 661,813 (29.76%)
    LD: 462,988 (20.82%)
    UKIP: 72,659 (3.27%)
    Greens: 11,667 (0.52%)
    Others: 99,083 (4.45%)
    TOTAL: 2,224,143
  • Options
    Hat-tip to AndyJS:

North East region:

2015:
    Lab: 557,100 (46.89%)
    Con: 300,943 (25.33%)
    UKIP: 198,823 (16.73%)
    LD: 77,095 (6.49%)
    Greens: 43,051 (3.62%)
    Others: 11,201 (0.94%)
    TOTAL: 1,188,213

2010:
    Lab: 518,261 (43.55%)
    Con: 282,347 (23.73%)
    LD: 280,468 (23.57%)
    UKIP: 32,196 (2.72%)
    Greens: 3,787 (0.32%)
    Others: 72,864 (6.12%)
    TOTAL: 1,189,923
  • Options
    Many thanx, Sir.

Plato said:

You don't get to choose. If it was broadcast with the signing man then that is how it is available on iPlayer. This happens when the BBC rebroadcast something with signing but don't also repeat it without the signing.

If it's more than 30 days after the broadcast without the signing then it can be that only the broadcast with the signing is available on iplayer.
  • Options
    What will Douglas do >?
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,721

Anorak said:

Anorak said:

Trimble was a member of the Orange Order and only moderate in comparison to the Rev Ian Paisley. I do believe that he did make sacrifices for the good of his country.
    Say what you like about Tony Blair (and I'd agree with most of it) but he did wonders in Northern Ireland - where I spent 3 of my school years.
  • Options
    Hat-tip to AndyJS:

Greater London:

2015:
    Lab: 1,545,080 (43.69%)
    Con: 1,233,386 (34.88%)
    UKIP: 286,946 (8.11%)
    LD: 272,544 (7.71%)
    Greens: 171,652 (4.85%)
    Others: 26,622 (0.75%)
    TOTAL: 3,536,230

2010:
    Lab: 1,245,637 (36.62%)
    Con: 1,174,588 (34.53%)
    LD: 751,561 (22.10%)
    UKIP: 59,452 (1.75%)
    Greens: 54,316 (1.60%)
    Others: 115,783 (3.40%)
    TOTAL: 3,401,317
  • Options
    @Danny565

I think that's all nine England regions!

(note to self- Make my own copy of Andy's data this time!)
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,721
    Pulpstar said:

What will Douglas do >?

Nothing, hopefully.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,314
    So UKIP, which stands for nothing, is now self-destructing.

Taking the votes of 4m people with it.

Pathetic.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Not at all, UKIP are simply reasserting the Cult of Farage. Heretics have been burned. Only Carswell remains to bend the knee officially
  • Options
    Schoolchildren...

@anntreneman: Pete wishart of snp fame sitting on labour front bench and refusing to move. Isn't it all just so grown up?
  • Options
    edited May 2015

Worth pointing out that the electoral system for the Assembly is six-member STV constituencies for the 18 Westminster constituencies. This means, for example, that there are just four constituencies that didn't elect any SF members in 2011 and only one constituency that didn't elect any for the DUP.

ARK Northern Ireland elections website (2011)
    http://www.ark.ac.uk/elections/fa11.htm
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,132
    edited May 2015
    DavidL said:

The appointment of the new Advocate General for Scotland has been delayed for well over a week now. The reason is that the person to be appointed is Richard Keen QC who is currently acting for a certain Mr Coulson in a trial before the High Court in Edinburgh.

Any actual appointment has clearly been delayed so as not to interrupt his defence.

Thoughtful.

Not appointed because of his predictive powers?

'predicted that a ‘no’ vote in next year’s independence referendum could be a “springboard” for them to improve on their tally of only one Scottish MP in the 2015 general election.'

http://tinyurl.com/nkehc7h

'Richard Keen claims the Conservatives can be the main beneficiaries from a collapse in support for the SNP in the wake of 'no' vote in the independence referendum
    The Conservatives will have the most MSPs and win power at Holyrood within a decade following a collapse in support for the “toxic” Nationalists, the Tories’ new Scottish chairman has predicted.'

http://tinyurl.com/pwvknzn
  • Options

Anorak said:

Anorak said:

Trimble was a member of the Orange Order and only moderate in comparison to the Rev Ian Paisley. I do believe that he did make sacrifices for the good of his country.
    Say what you like about Tony Blair (and I'd agree with most of it) but he did wonders in Northern Ireland - where I spent 3 of my school years.
    "A day like today is not a day for, sort of, soundbites, really - we can leave those at home - but I feel the hand of history upon our shoulders, I really do."
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    MPs have about to start being swearing in

But now they have to go and visit the Lords again...
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    TOPPING said:

Pathetic.

It's you who are pathetic, still by your wishing well day after day. Grow up.
  • Options
    UK-wide Con + UKIP = 50.6% of votes
    UK-wide Con + UKIP = 50.9% of MPs
  • Options
    edited May 2015

Anorak said:

Anorak said:

?
    "A day like today is not a day for, sort of, soundbites, really - we can leave those at home - but I feel the hand of history upon our shoulders, I really do."
    In fairness that was pretty funny.
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046
    Alistair said:

I've just read Alex Salmond's column in the Courier about Jim Murphy. He certainly knows how to write a column designed to get a reaction.

His article has upset McD, McT and the Cyberunionist community:

http://www.thecourier.co.uk/news/politics/alex-salmond/jim-murphy-was-part-of-the-problem-not-the-solution-1.876053

Another interesting article in the NS:

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2015/05/labours-problems-scotland-go-well-beyond-jim-murphy

The writer is a Labour NEC member and indicates that the NEC were well aware of SLAB's problems and chose to do nothing.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Thoughtful.

'predicted that a ‘no’ vote in next year’s independence referendum could be a “springboard” for them to improve on their tally of only one Scottish MP in the 2015 general election.'

'Richard Keen claims the Conservatives can be the main beneficiaries from a collapse in support for the SNP in the wake of 'no' vote in the independence referendum
    The Conservatives will have the most MSPs and win power at Holyrood within a decade following a collapse in support for the “toxic” Nationalists, the Tories’ new Scottish chairman has predicted.'

You think it was the job of the Conservative party Chairman to predict that the Tories were going to lose their seat in Scotland?
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,988
    edited May 2015
    Good afternoon, everyone.

Just glanced at the last thread. Shocking stats on pancreatic cancer, and I'm sorry to hear, Mr. Notme, of how horrendous pancreatitis[sp] was.

Edited extra bit: my knowledge of Northern Ireland isn't great, but it will be interesting to see whether there is an official opposition next time.
  • Options

It is worth pointing out. Thank you. Hence my describing the first UUP seat in F&ST as a shoo-in.

I clearly should have subbed this closer myself as it looks a bit rough. Can TSE tidy it up. After 'the dominant' should be unionist party!

I must declare an interest, I'm heading to Tom Elliott's celebration bash this week!

Thank you for the kind comments all.

The Ukip vote is interesting. They seem to be the mainland party which is getting traction. This is helped by David McNarry, a former UUP man. The NI Conservatives have also had a small upturn in their electoral fortunes. I SUSPECT that the UUP being seen to make progress will persuade some voters of the NI Cons and Ukip to go back to the UUP. I am obviously the kind of person who would consider voting NI Con if I thought UUP were done. I am currently debating with myself and my wife whether I should join her in the UUP or add my weight to the very small band of NI Cons.

When Tom Elliott was removed as leader, it really did look like an existential crisis for the UUP. Basil McCrea set up NI21, which has proved to be something of a disaster, others left. But Mike Nesbitt has done a fantastic job of rebuilding and he will hope that the election of such a different pair of MPs as Danny and Tom will prove that the UUP can be a broad unionist party which can also appeal to those nationalists who want to remove a sitting DUP person.

The situation with the Tories and Ukip is more interesting in the eastern constituencies which are much more unionist. They have chances of gaining say the sixth seat in places like Strangford. In a constituency like F&ST with very even electorates, it is generally seen as the safe bet to just run your STV down the list of UUP/DUP or SDLP/SF. I don't expect any minor party to win a seat in my own constituency, even if I decided to stand myself for the Tories!

• Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    MikeK said:

TOPPING said:

Pathetic.

It's you who are pathetic, still by your wishing well day after day. Grow up.
    Mike - I've sent you a vanilla message about our bet that needs settling. Cheers.
  • Options
    @jameskirkup: Ukip is an absolute monarchy and King Nigel has crushed the Peasants' Revolt. He should go to the House of Lords. http://t.co/IPLKSfdleZ
  • Options
    When did Ed Balls start wearing glasses?

@SunPolitics: Jobless Ed Balls gets shirty after a trip to the dry cleaners http://t.co/pbdKthQXlm http://t.co/mm5TfUlgXN
  • Options
    Anna Soubry just sworn in :)
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Anorak said:

Anorak said:

John Major did more than Blair.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Oliver Letwin chooses to affirm rather than swear. The only member of government to do so so far

Now Shadow Cabinet's turn
  • Options
    @GerriPeev: Chuka and Tristram Hunt first Lab MPs to swear on Bible
  • Options
    BannedInParisBannedInParis Posts: 2,191
    Scott_P said:

When did Ed Balls start wearing glasses?

@SunPolitics: Jobless Ed Balls gets shirty after a trip to the dry cleaners http://t.co/pbdKthQXlm http://t.co/mm5TfUlgXN

Did the entire shadow cabinet not wear their glasses for the last year or so?

:insert cutting political satire here:
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited May 2015
    Scott_P said:

@jameskirkup: Ukip is an absolute monarchy and King Nigel has crushed the Peasants' Revolt. He should go to the House of Lords. http://t.co/IPLKSfdleZ

I've just been asked to decorate a cake with the message, 'Farage, putting the nob into nobilty' - Should I decline the commission..? :lol:
  • Options
    Knobless Or Blige?

Scott_P said:

I've just been asked to decorate a cake with the message, 'Farage, putting the nob into nobilty' - Should I decline the commission..? :lol:
  • Options
    Chucka, Tristam, Dugher, Flint, Reeves swear. The rest of Shadow Cabinet chose affirmation
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,132
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Thoughtful.

You think it was the job of the Conservative party Chairman to predict that the Tories were going to lose their seat in Scotland?
    Nope, but perhaps avoiding hubristic (one of the PB Loyalists' favourite words for the SNP) claims that the 'toxic' SNP's support would collapse and the SCons would win power at Holyrood might better have been avoided. Predicting an increase in SCon MPs at the GE to be followed by their worst ever share of the vote was just the icing on the Mystic Richard cake.
  • Options

Oliver Letwin chooses to affirm rather than swear. The only member of government to do so so far

Now Shadow Cabinet's turn

I affirmed when I went on Jury Service (twice)
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046
    Plato said:

Holyrood's PR system will be fascinating at their next elections.

SNP 49 Con 6 Lab 3 LD 1

Running the last Survation Holyrood 2016 voting intentions through the Scotland Votes calculator - the results:

SNP 71 (+2)
    SLAB 25 (-12)
    Tories 11 (-4)
    LibDem 6 (+1)
    Greens 11 (+9)
    UKIP 5 (+5)

Total Seats 129 (65 for a majority)

As the Scotland Votes seat calculator currently doesn't take account of regional splits, the above figures area at best a guide of likely trends based on current polling. Links below:

http://www.scotlandvotes.com/
    http://survation.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/Final-Record-April-Tables.pdf

Hopefully the Daily Record will keep the monthly Survation poll going so we can keep an eye on any trends.
  • Options
    @paulwaugh: Ed Miliband, of course, has already sworn on the #edstone. But likely to affirm.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Clegg and Salmond chatting with each other while on queue
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    Pasties are more popular than ever, according to Greggs, but bread is not.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-32793389

• Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    Scott_P said:

@paulwaugh: Ed Miliband, of course, has already sworn on the #edstone. But likely to affirm.

Perhaps they should settle the Labour leadership issue by embedding a sword in the #edstone and getting the contestants to try to pull it out.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,757
    Sylvia Hermon will probably retire in 2020, her seat is one of the UUPs better chances to win back.
  • Options
    :smiley:
    Ishmael_X said:

Scott_P said:

Perhaps they should settle the Labour leadership issue by embedding a sword in the #edstone and getting the contestants to try to pull it out.
  • Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,733

Sylvia Hermon will probably retire in 2020, her seat is one of the UUPs better chances to win back.

Presumably there isn't any chance of her rejoining the UUP now they have stopped the official link with the Conservatives (which if I recollect correctly was the reason she left in the first place)
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Miliband arrived in the chamber and goes straight to Clegg

but it may be just a way not to respect the queue
This discussion has been closed.