Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Pollsters should follow Ipsos MORI’s 2008 example and not r

SystemSystem Posts: 11,687
edited May 2015 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Pollsters should follow Ipsos MORI’s 2008 example and not rush to resume general election surveys

Back in 2008 at the first Boris-Ken battle the opinion polls became an issue during the campaign. YouGov was showing Boris leads close to what happened (a 6.2% Johnson lead) while Ipsos, in its final had Ken 3% ahead.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969
    First! I think it is correct to say we've only had one VI poll since the election?
  • Options
    redcliffe62redcliffe62 Posts: 342
    My own theory Mike is the polls were snap shots and correct at time. The scare stories made 3 or 4 in a 100 change their mind when actually voting, as Miliband had been holed below the waterline in terms of credibility, and his softer left wing support stayed at home in a lowered turnout in England compared to Scotland where another option was available.
    The "I cannot be bothered as all the same" mantra took over?
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Morning all.

Glad to see that the Guardian has stuck with it's ICM monthly poll, which I believe has been running since 1984. - As for the rest, meh.
  • Options
    I do wonder if polls should be stopped during election campaigns themselves. They almost become the main focus of the story until really funny stuff like the tablet of doom come around. Do they actually swing elections themselves? Should they?
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    I see Dan Jarvis - much praised on here as a potential leader - has endorsed Andy Burnham. Says it all.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,039

My own theory Mike is the polls were snap shots and correct at time. The scare stories made 3 or 4 in a 100 change their mind when actually voting, as Miliband had been holed below the waterline in terms of credibility, and his softer left wing support stayed at home in a lowered turnout in England compared to Scotland where another option was available.
    The "I cannot be bothered as all the same" mantra took over?

If it was a last minute change, then why did the polls all converge on the 'wrong' position in the last week?

Of all the options, it seems much more likely that the polls were consistently out of tune with voters' views for some time before the general election. This is backed up by the fact that the Conservatives, and apparently Labours, private polling showed a different story.
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    edited May 2015
    felix said:

I see Dan Jarvis - much praised on here as a potential leader - has endorsed Andy Burnham. Says it all.

His puff piece on AB in the Mirror is amusing, is he talking about the same person as we are ?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/im-backing-andy-burnham-next-5720021
    I’m choosing to support Andy because I’m convinced he has the strength, experience and character needed to bring our party together and restore Labour’s connection with the British people.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    edited May 2015
    Notwithstanding that all of them are minnows compared to Dave, its when Dave goes that Labour just might regain itsr Mojo. Its very important the Tories choose correctly. I think May is best of the lot.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,003
    I’m no expert on these things, but how are “don’t knows” allocated? AFAIK it’s on how they voted last time (much more sophisticated, but that’s the general drift.) I wonder if that’s where yjose picking over the entrails should be looking?
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    felix said:

Why was Dan Jarvis so popular here? CCHQ mischief-making to foist an inexperienced leader on Labour? Or genuine admiration from Conservative posters that Jarvis had been a soldier like IDS and not a SpAd like David Cameron?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,003
    edited May 2015

felix said:

Why was Dan Jarvis so popular here? CCHQ mischief-making to foist an inexperienced leader on Labour? Or genuine admiration from Conservative posters that Jarvis had been a soldier like IDS and not a SpAd like David Cameron?
    Bit of both, I suspect! He does seem to have come from nowhere.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937

felix said:

Jarvis has as much Parliamentary experience as Cameron had when he became Tory leader, and considerably more life experience. He is also someone who would get Labour a hearing from people who would never have listened to Ed Miliband. That's why I liked (like) the look of him. However, he would have needed to show he had more than that over the course of a leadership campaign. After hearing and reading his speech over the weekend, though, he is definitely one to watch. I suspect we'll see a lot more of him over the next few years.

• Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    Ms Cooper thinks that Ed's policies were a load of balls.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-32784980

Labour need to stop bashing enterprise, aspiration and profits otherwise they will condemn themselves to another long period out of office.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    I hope Dan Jarvis fulfills expectations.

It was only a decade or so ago that there thoughtful articles in the Guardian and gushing profiles on the BBC concerning ex-Army major & new Labour MP Eric Joyce.

That ended badly.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,309
    I completely agree with the sentiment of this thread. For me the most disturbing thing for the pollsters is not that they were wrong but that they grouped together in the way they did in the last week. This was either the most extraordinary coincidence or evidence that their results were being manipulated to find the "correct" result in a way that destroys all confidence in their data.

I regret to say that ICM, until now the gold standard, has some of the sharpest questions to answer on this. Its last 3 polls showed, allegedly, a strong swing to Labour from a position where they were actually pretty close to the result to the consensus. They really need to explain how that happened.
  • Options

Notwithstanding that all of them are minnows compared to Dave, its when Dave goes that Labour just might regain itsr Mojo. Its very important the Tories choose correctly. I think May is best of the lot.

It is certain the next Labour leader will be better than EdM; and almost as certain that the next Tory leader will be less popular than Dave.

The key to 2020 is whether five years of majority Tory government revives an efficient anti-Tory vote or not. If it does, Labour will return to power. If it doesn't, fundamental political realignment is almost inevitable.

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

felix said:

Bit of both, I suspect! He does seem to have come from nowhere.
    Easy to come from nowhere in a field of nobodies....
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    edited May 2015
    DavidL said:

I completely agree with the sentiment of this thread. For me the most disturbing thing for the pollsters is not that they were wrong but that they grouped together in the way they did in the last week. This was either the most extraordinary coincidence or evidence that their results were being manipulated to find the "correct" result in a way that destroys all confidence in their data.

I regret to say that ICM, until now the gold standard, has some of the sharpest questions to answer on this. Its last 3 polls showed, allegedly, a strong swing to Labour from a position where they were actually pretty close to the result to the consensus. They really need to explain how that happened.

Both ICM and Ipsos Mori in particular need to answer this straightforward question: did they modify their methodology in the days before May 7th, and if so why?
  • Options

I hope Dan Jarvis fulfills expectations.

It was only a decade or so ago that there thoughtful articles in the Guardian and gushing profiles on the BBC concerning ex-Army major & new Labour MP Eric Joyce.

That ended badly.

The Parachute Regiment is brill- Joyce was in the education corp, they always were a rum lot.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,314

felix said:

It was previously a hugely effective Cons attack line..which PM or LotO said:

"How dare they [Lab] make that comment...there are more ex-soldiers behind me than in the whole of the Labour Party..."

or somesuch.

Pretty tricky if the person making that charge now is not an ex-soldier and is talking to a LotO or PM who is.

Plus it shores up a vulnerable flank for Lab. A bit like the Cons appointing a 20-yr veteran NHS staff sister as leader.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    I see the SNP on Twitter are STILL pissing and moaning about where they are going to sit.

Tackle the big issues of the day, not like school kids. At all...
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Comres, ICM, Ipsos and Ashcroft were all broadly in the right place a week or so before the election.

It's the proliferation of useless internet polls by companies with poor track records that were the issue, combined with Yougov's flawed re-weighting decision a month before the election.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Excellent.

Mark Serwotka on Today saying how Lab lost because they weren't left-wing enough, banging on about foodbanks, etc..

Long may it last! Let's hope his endorsed candidate (AB?) makes it to leadership. S*d my 5/1 on Yvette I'm thinking of the country here...
  • Options
    chestnut said:

Yougov's flawed re-weighting decision a month before the election.

That bizarre move does seem like the dumbest idea in light of the result
  • Options
    JohnO said:

DavidL said:

Both ICM and Ipsos Mori in particular need to answer this straightforward question: did they modify their methodology in the days before May 7th, and if so why?
    It would also be interesting to know the basis upon which Survation got their "correct" but presumed-rogue-so-unpublished result.
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215

JohnO said:

DavidL said:

It would also be interesting to know the basis upon which Survation got their "correct" but presumed-rogue-so-unpublished result.
    Indeed so. Will Survation publish the details of that poll and for whom was it commissioned?
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,898
    edited May 2015

felix said:

Jarvis looked like someone who would attract those who voted for Blair but not for Miliband, Brown, Kinnock or Foot. In other words, he could appeal to the wider electorate rather than just party members and the Brothers.

He is also a pragmatist rather than an idealist, much like Cameron in that respect, able to put country before party rather than blindly opposing everything for the sake of an argument. I dare say that with someone like Jarvis in opposition, the government could accomplish a lot of the difficult things that need consensus such as reform of personal care and pensions, scope of NHS treatment, tax simplification etc.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Excellent.

Mark Serwotka on Today saying how Lab lost because they weren't left-wing enough, banging on about foodbanks, etc..

Long may it last! Let's hope his endorsed candidate (AB?) makes it to leadership. S*d my 5/1 on Yvette I'm thinking of the country here...

His union is not affiliated to Labour.

• Options

TOPPING said:

Excellent.

That is but a technical point in the mind of Joe Public, unfortunate though that may be for Labour.
  • Options
    @SunriseIsabel: Labour Leadership candidate @YvetteCooperMP attacks @Ed_Miliband for his anti-biz rhetoric.. But failed to mention her objections pre May7th
  • Options

It is certain the next Labour leader will be better than EdM; and almost as certain that the next Tory leader will be less popular than Dave.

With respect I don't think the first part of that is true. Is Andy Burnham really better than Ed? I would say not.

This does not mean that his successors cannot learn from his mistakes of course. I would hope that Labour spend the next 5 years developing some genuine and coherent policies that can sustain more than a few minutes of consideration before falling into derision; that (as Yvette Cooper is already saying) the anti business, anti wealth creation, anti market mindset is quietly abandoned and Labour start to address the real problems in our society instead of intellectual ones.

For me Burnham comes across as nice but dim; Cooper not particularly nice but bright; Kendall interesting and personable but fundamentally unknown and Creagh similar to Kendall but perhaps less so. It is not a great choice.

The Tories at this point seem to have better choices but there will be casualties from 5 more years of government and there is an opportunity for stars to rise so it is probably too early to say. I think it is fair to say that many on here on the left and indeed on the right seriously underestimated Dave and that it is unlikely that the Tories will find a replacement of the same standard.
  • Options
    I'm afraid that the long leadership campaign looks as if it's going to make the party look more and more of a shambles before finally producing the wrong result.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Scott_P said:

@SunriseIsabel: Labour Leadership candidate @YvetteCooperMP attacks @Ed_Miliband for his anti-biz rhetoric.. But failed to mention her objections pre May7th

Indeed - Brave Ms Cooper is attempting to position herself as the pro-business candidate, despite not having said or done anything over the past five years that contridicted Ed's anti-business rhetoric. - Strecthing the idiom that you can fool some of the people, some of the time imho.
  • Options
    JohnO said:

DavidL said:

It is not just their methodology. Remember each poll had all the relevant data attached to it published and examined in detail on here if not many other places. How on earth did they manage to produce the data sheets that they did? Was it a weighting thing and if it was did the weighting change?
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    More cartoon fun - this time with Andy Burnham and Uncle Len http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/multimedia/archive/00908/BROOKES_19_908876c.jpg
  • Options
    DavidL said:

With respect I don't think the first part of that is true. Is Andy Burnham really better than Ed? I would say not.

This does not mean that his successors cannot learn from his mistakes of course. I would hope that Labour spend the next 5 years developing some genuine and coherent policies that can sustain more than a few minutes of consideration before falling into derision; that (as Yvette Cooper is already saying) the anti business, anti wealth creation, anti market mindset is quietly abandoned and Labour start to address the real problems in our society instead of intellectual ones.

For me Burnham comes across as nice but dim; Cooper not particularly nice but bright; Kendall interesting and personable but fundamentally unknown and Creagh similar to Kendall but perhaps less so. It is not a great choice.

The Tories at this point seem to have better choices but there will be casualties from 5 more years of government and there is an opportunity for stars to rise so it is probably too early to say. I think it is fair to say that many on here on the left and indeed on the right seriously underestimated Dave and that it is unlikely that the Tories will find a replacement of the same standard.

Yes, I believe that Burnham would be a considerably better leader than Ed. He's not my choice, but if he gets there after a campaign which involves Labour having a full and frank conversation about where it has been going so badly wrong for the last decade or so, then that is fine with me. The problem would be an effective coronation in which not all the voices within the Labour tent are heard and their points not actively considered.

Clearly, from a Tory perspective the Tories have the best candidates. As a non-Tory, though, I don't see anyone who comes close to Dave's extra-party reach - largely because Dave had five years in which to create an image for himself having previously been completely unknown (the Jarvis option). The next Tory leader will not have that and will instead already have a definable public profile - and one largely forged within the context of a majority Tory government.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

chestnut said:

It seemed inexplicable at the time. And some of us said so, loudly. And often. At a risk of being banned here.

I hope OGH's unfailing belief in the polls - especially the Ashcroft Q2 for the LibDems prospects - didn't cost him too deep in the purse. Those of us who had evidence it was a crock of shit did try to say so...
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

TOPPING said:

Excellent.

That is but a technical point in the mind of Joe Public, unfortunate though that may be for Labour.

My guess is that about 0.0005% of the public have any idea at all who he is. Most important, though, is that nothing he says will affect the way that Labour itself decides to proceed.

• Options
    Plato said:

More cartoon fun - this time with Andy Burnham and Uncle Len http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/multimedia/archive/00908/BROOKES_19_908876c.jpg

Very good. How long before we see Burnham in Len's top pocket, I wonder?
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Indeed - Brave Ms Cooper is attempting to position herself as the pro-business candidate, despite not having said or done anything over the past five years that contridicted Ed's anti-business rhetoric. - Strecthing the idiom that you can fool some of the people, some of the time imho.
    In the words of George W Bush "You can fool some of the people all of the time - and those are the ones you want...."
  • Options

Sandpit said:

TOPPING said:

Excellent.

My guess is that about 0.0005% of the public have any idea at all who he is. Most important, though, is that nothing he says will affect the way that Labour itself decides to proceed.

and Today's audience (6m weekly) will have heard some Union/Lab/it's all the same bloke bang on about Lab not being far enough to the left.

I'll take your 0.0005% of the public who know who Mark S is and raise (lower) you 0.00000005% of them who realise he and Lab aren't the same thing.
  • Options

DavidL said:

standard.

Yes, I believe that Burnham would be a considerably better leader than Ed. He's not my choice, but if he gets there after a campaign which involves Labour having a full and frank conversation about where it has been going so badly wrong for the last decade or so, then that is fine with me. The problem would be an effective coronation in which not all the voices within the Labour tent are heard and their points not actively considered.

Clearly, from a Tory perspective the Tories have the best candidates. As a non-Tory, though, I don't see anyone who comes close to Dave's extra-party reach - largely because Dave had five years in which to create an image for himself having previously been completely unknown (the Jarvis option). The next Tory leader will not have that and will instead already have a definable public profile - and one largely forged within the context of a majority Tory government.
    Well, we shall see. Burnham seems the exact opposite of a leader who can reach out from the natural base of the party in the way you describe for Cameron (and of course Blair before him) does. Maybe he will grow in the role.

But Labour do not need to just listen to all the voices in the tent, they need to especially listen to those outside it, especially those who have drifted away over the last decade.

Cameron made the Tories acceptable and attractive again to many who would not consider themselves natural tories by making them more centrist, signing up to the importance of the NHS, not banging on about Europe and being far more socially inclusive. This cost him support lost to UKIP but it has delivered a majority and it is to be hoped that the threat that has hung over all Tory leaders since Major has at last been faced down.

Where is the Labour leader that can do the same? Blair showed what needs to be done but his name is an insult in the party. I cannot see any of the current contenders having anything like that sort of reach, Burnham least of all.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190

Scott_P said:

chestnut said:

It seemed inexplicable at the time. And some of us said so, loudly. And often. At a risk of being banned here.

I hope OGH's unfailing belief in the polls - especially the Ashcroft Q2 for the LibDems prospects - didn't cost him too deep in the purse. Those of us who had evidence it was a crock of shit did try to say so...
    I hope it did cost him money. If it didn't, it would suggest he was peddling a party line.
  • Options
    Although I have backed her for next leader at 5/1 (have I mentioned that already?) you have got to admire the brass neck of Yvette now criticising Ed, coming over all business-friendly and disowning the policies of a govt she had been a key part of.

Only following orders? Give me a break.

Only thing is, it will probably work given the alternatives.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Although I have backed her for next leader at 5/1 (have I mentioned that already?) you have got to admire the brass neck of Yvette now criticising Ed, coming over all business-friendly and disowning the policies of a govt she had been a key part of.

Only following orders? Give me a break.

Only thing is, it will probably work given the alternatives.

In fairness it is not like she, or anyone close to her, had any say in the economic policies of the last Labour government....oh, wait.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Meanwhile, David Cameron appears to be trying not to make the same mistake twice:

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/e3d529c4-fd74-11e4-9e96-00144feabdc0.html#axzz3aWb3eBFFh

"David Cameron is likely to drop plans to reduce the number of MPs to 600 as the prime minister tries to avoid an early stand-off with his backbenchers."
  • Options
    antifrank said:

Meanwhile, David Cameron appears to be trying not to make the same mistake twice:

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/e3d529c4-fd74-11e4-9e96-00144feabdc0.html#axzz3aWb3eBFFh

"David Cameron is likely to drop plans to reduce the number of MPs to 600 as the prime minister tries to avoid an early stand-off with his backbenchers."

Smart.
  • Options
    Southam Observer "Yes, I believe that Burnham would be a considerably better leader than Ed. He's not my choice, but if he gets there after a campaign which involves Labour having a full and frank conversation about where it has been going so badly wrong for the last decade or so, then that is fine with me."

Except...Burnham was the guy who wanted to close down investigation into the failings of the NHS. Failings that left many hundreds dead. You think this is a guy who is going to have a full and frank discussion of where Labour has gone wrong? Not a chance.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,259
    Jarvis comes out for Burnham? Hmmm.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

standard.

Well, we shall see. Burnham seems the exact opposite of a leader who can reach out from the natural base of the party in the way you describe for Cameron (and of course Blair before him) does. Maybe he will grow in the role.

But Labour do not need to just listen to all the voices in the tent, they need to especially listen to those outside it, especially those who have drifted away over the last decade.

Cameron made the Tories acceptable and attractive again to many who would not consider themselves natural tories by making them more centrist, signing up to the importance of the NHS, not banging on about Europe and being far more socially inclusive. This cost him support lost to UKIP but it has delivered a majority and it is to be hoped that the threat that has hung over all Tory leaders since Major has at last been faced down.

Where is the Labour leader that can do the same? Blair showed what needs to be done but his name is an insult in the party. I cannot see any of the current contenders having anything like that sort of reach, Burnham least of all.

Fair enough - we shall see what happens.

• Options
    DavidL said:

*SNIP*

Dan Jarvis, Liz Kendall.....

Labour need to reach out to people in the centre, people like me who just voted for Cameron rather than those who will always vote Labour.

Blair got this, very few others in the party seem to right now. They just seem to think that it is their right to be elected next time. A stitch-up to keep Kendall off the ballot will be the day Labour lose themselves the 2020 election.
  • Options
    That Brookes cartoon really is superb.
  • Options
    No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 3,823
    Just watch the polls dry up if they show the LDs doing well.
    There wasn't a single Scotland-only poll by anyone in 2004.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Labour need to reach out to people in the centre, people like me who just voted for Cameron rather than those who will always vote Labour.

Blair got this, very few others in the party seem to right now. They just seem to think that it is their right to be elected next time. A stitch-up to keep Kendall off the ballot will be the day Labour lose themselves the 2020 election.

What Blair and New Labour missed is that you need to reach out but at the same time, remain in touch with your base.
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    DavidL said:

antifrank said:

Smart.
    Even if the 650 or so is kept, Wales will still have a reduction from its 40 as it has many constituencies in the 50,000s and did not suffer the required reduction last time.
  • Options

Southam Observer "Yes, I believe that Burnham would be a considerably better leader than Ed. He's not my choice, but if he gets there after a campaign which involves Labour having a full and frank conversation about where it has been going so badly wrong for the last decade or so, then that is fine with me."

Except...Burnham was the guy who wanted to close down investigation into the failings of the NHS. Failings that left many hundreds dead. You think this is a guy who is going to have a full and frank discussion of where Labour has gone wrong? Not a chance.

I don't know. That's why I have not yet joined Labour. I want to see how the leadership election pans out. Because there is no outstanding candidate - or one that is obviously EdM or Abbot like crap - who wins is less important to me than how and why the winner emerges.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,101
    Has anyone asked Sion Simon his thoughts on recent political developments ? I think we need to hear from the great political sage as the last two 'Pushkin Princes' battle it out:

' The young princes who now stride the parade ground with the confidence born of aristocratic schooling can never be afraid. They never have been. Like latter day Pushkins drilled in the elite academy of Brownian blitzkrieg, they are bursting with their sense of destiny. It’s not the Milibands, the Ballses or the Burnhams who are unconsciously nervous. This is the moment for which they were created. They are ready. '

• Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Topping,

"Only following orders? Give me a break."

She'll get away with it. Just an Ambassadors are sent abroad to lie for their countries, politicians ares sent in front of the TV cameras to lie for their party. No wonder no one believes them.

Whoever Labour pick will be an improvement. Ed was a dud from the start and looked it. By choosing him (or allowing the unions to choose him), Labour gave up any chance of winning the 2015 election.

Burnham or Cooper are politicians you may like or dislike, but Ed was a once in a lifetime balls-up. One they couldn't rectify because of the system.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Even if we still have 650 MPs, a boundary review still needs to take place !
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Labour should maybe go with the very steady Cooper option, who perhaps then should make way in 2018 for a more dynamic leader.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,987
    Good morning, everyone.

Apart from Hunt, who appears to be out, Burnham would be the worst leader for Labour. I wonder if Jarvis has backed him because it looks likely Burnham will get the job, because he genuinely believes in Burnham's abilities [stop sniggering], or because he thinks Burnham will crash and burn in 2020, opening up a job opportunity.

On polling: there's the Holyrood elections first, which may be a test (although it's not UK-wide, of course). The uncertainty over polling will make the run-up to the referendum particularly interesting.

I agree with Mr. Fletcher below [and have expressed similar views for years]. Excessive polling is not reflecting public opinion but shaping the media narrative which then influences public perception.
  • Options

Has anyone asked Sion Simon his thoughts on recent political developments ? I think we need to hear from the great political sage as the last two 'Pushkin Princes' battle it out:

It’s not the Milibands, the Ballses or the Burnhams who are unconsciously nervous.

3 down, 2 left standing, 1 of them going to lose the leadership, the other going to lose the election...

The Curse of Sion
  • Options
    Before Yvette gets too much slagging off, I think collective responsibility is relevant to policy , the main collective responsibility of course was in electing a dork like ED Miliband. I have never wavered in thinking he was a dork and so it proved, next one up better not be or Labour really are screwed.
  • Options
    Mr. Pulpstar, Labour? Axe a leader? They closest they ever came was Blair in 2007 when he'd pre-announced his departure, there was only one rival, and that rival had been plotting Blair's demise for a decade.

Labour were utterly useless at axing Brown, or Miliband. I can't think they'd be better at ousting someone in 2018.

Plus there's the polling dilemma. If Labour are polling well, the leader's safe. If Labour are polling badly, rivals would rather the incumbent take the 2020 hit then duke it out, rather than risk two years and a failed election.
  • Options

Apart from Hunt, who appears to be out, Burnham would be the worst leader for Labour. I wonder if Jarvis has backed him because it looks likely Burnham will get the job, because he genuinely believes in Burnham's abilities [stop sniggering], or because he thinks Burnham will crash and burn in 2020, opening up a job opportunity.

@gabyhinsliff: Lab reaching that point in leader contest where MPs start wondering whether to back the one they like or the one looking likeliest to win

@gabyhinsliff: What I'd really like to know, btw, is who those many good candidates who missed out on becoming MPs under EdM would like to be leader.
  • Options
    Financier said:

DavidL said:

antifrank said:

Smart.
    Even if the 650 or so is kept, Wales will still have a reduction from its 40 as it has many constituencies in the 50,000s and did not suffer the required reduction last time.
    Will it? These plans were drawn up when Wales was solidly Labour. Now the Conservatives have 11 seats, there may be less urgency, especially since if the Conservative Party becomes seen as anti-Welsh, they may be locked out completely. That is more-or-less what happened in Scotland. Expect some fudge.
  • Options

If Labour are polling well, the leader's safe. If Labour are polling badly, rivals would rather the incumbent take the 2020 hit then duke it out, rather than risk two years and a failed election.

Someone suggested (it might just have been Polly) that the candidates this time should commit to another leadership contest in 2018 unconditionally.

That's such a good idea we can be sure it will be ignored completely.
  • Options

felix said:

Jarvis has as much Parliamentary experience as Cameron had when he became Tory leader, and considerably more life experience. He is also someone who would get Labour a hearing from people who would never have listened to Ed Miliband. That's why I liked (like) the look of him. However, he would have needed to show he had more than that over the course of a leadership campaign. After hearing and reading his speech over the weekend, though, he is definitely one to watch. I suspect we'll see a lot more of him over the next few years.

Eric Joyce was once bigged up for being a former soldier.

He was certainly one to watch, especially in a bar after he'd had a few drinks.
  • Options
    Greek tragedy enters Act CXII:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-32790726

It's an exercise in economic masochism.

In a few months it'll be nice to have a Venn diagram indicating those who think leaving the EU would be bad, and those who thought we really ought to join the euro.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Pulpstar said:

Labour should maybe go with the very steady Cooper option, who perhaps then should make way in 2018 for a more dynamic leader.

Yvette Cooper doesn't look like the making way type to me.

Unfashionably, I believe that the Labour leadership line-up is fine and that Labour could make a decent go of it under any of the three front runners. My choice would be Yvette Cooper who is more subtle in her voltes faces than Andy Burnham, more experienced than Liz Kendall (who I can imagine stumbling in those critical early months when the public form their views of politicians) and a hard target for David Cameron to attack in the House of Commons.

The bigger problem for Labour is the party's uncertain steel for the policy tacks that any of the three will need to push through.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704

Sandpit said:

What Blair and New Labour missed is that you need to reach out but at the same time, remain in touch with your base.
    Blair won three elections. pretty sure there's not much he missed.
  • Options

Before Yvette gets too much slagging off, I think collective responsibility is relevant to policy , the main collective responsibility of course was in electing a dork like ED Miliband. I have never wavered in thinking he was a dork and so it proved, next one up better not be or Labour really are screwed.

I always felt and have even posted on here for years that both the Miliband's were massively over-rated - they resembled ^th formers who'd learnt a little politics at school supplemented by a fair bit of parental indoctrination growing up. They both went to a north London trendy comprehensive and came out at best half-baked in the case of David and somewhat less in the case of Ed. it is a testament to the post Blair Labour party, that they managed to convince themselves that either were any kind of match for David Cameron. Burnham may be the best of the current contenders, but I doubt he'll win a single vote south of Watford. I do value a strong opposition - so thank heavens for SNP right now. At least they have a view which resonates with their people.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Burnham over Cooper? Cameron will struggle at PMQs against Cooper - he won't be able to do the same shouty rubbish about "weak" every week.
  • Options
    Labour needs a leader with vision for the UK in a global context. Neither Brown nor Miliband met that specification. Burnham has not shown such qualities, Cooper is an after-the-event person, and Kendal has good ideas but is unproven.

The dinosauric Union leaders are making so much noise as they realise that their organisations are suffering pangs of death by many cuts. Technology is increasingly reducing the available jobs for their members and globalisation has thrown the ground rules into irrelevance. This is not unique to the UK as is currently evidenced in France and Germany.

To be a revitalised party with a relevant purpose, Labour has to cast aside any worries about upsetting its present base support. It knows that for UK to be successful in the future, the State has to do more with less. This applies both the state wide structures and local councils and so will reduce the numbers employed by such organisations.

If our education is not shaken up and vastly reorganised quickly, then our innovation and technology will decline and so will our ability to compete which means less jobs. So education has to come away from council control where ideology and non-aspiration are often the main drivers, instead of educating every child to the best of their ability and natural talents.

Will any Labour leader be brave enough to think so widely and radically?

• Options

Sandpit said:

Look at the declining vote numbers.

1997 13,518,167
    2001 10,724,953
    2005 9,552,436
    2010 8,606,517
    2015 9,347,304

• Options
    edited May 2015

DecrepitJohn said

"What Blair and New Labour missed is that you need to reach out but at the same time, remain in touch with your base."

This was commented upon somewhere else. Blair reckoned (rightly) that he could ignore the Northern industrial base and they would vote for him anyway (they had nowhere else to go). UKIP has changed that equation.
  • Options
    Mr. Borough, that might help Cameron. When he's overly aggressive, he usually performs worse, I think.
  • Options

Mr. Pulpstar, Labour? Axe a leader? They closest they ever came was Blair in 2007 when he'd pre-announced his departure, there was only one rival, and that rival had been plotting Blair's demise for a decade.

Labour were utterly useless at axing Brown, or Miliband. I can't think they'd be better at ousting someone in 2018.

Plus there's the polling dilemma. If Labour are polling well, the leader's safe. If Labour are polling badly, rivals would rather the incumbent take the 2020 hit then duke it out, rather than risk two years and a failed election.

Labour's new leader has a problem approaching in the 2016 local elections.

Which will be the next cycle of those seats contested in 2012.

The 2012 local elections followed the omnishambles budget and were won by Labout with IIRC a 6% lead over the Conservatives.

If Labour doesn't do as well in 2016 it will lose councillors, which will be a bit hard to explain - "So Labour leader why is your party performing worse under your leadership than it did under EdM's leadership ?"
  • Options
    felix: "Burnham may be the best of the current contenders, but I doubt he'll win a single vote south of Watford."

Presumably, a single new vote!

As to south of Watford - further afield than that, I'd say. Not sure how well a Scouser is going to play in the Midlands. There's not much love for them from what I've seen there, so Burnham starts with a negative.
  • Options
    Mr. Richard, are local elections also being held in Scotland [at the same time as the Holyrood vote]?
  • Options

felix: "Burnham may be the best of the current contenders, but I doubt he'll win a single vote south of Watford."

Presumably, a single new vote!

As to south of Watford - further afield than that, I'd say. Not sure how well a Scouser is going to play in the Midlands. There's not much love for them from what I've seen there, so Burnham starts with a negative.

Its my experience that in Yorkshire the word 'Scouse' is usually followed by words such as 'tw*t' or 'w*nker' and that Scousers are generally assumed to be thieves or layabouts.

All those TV comedies about 'cheeky' Liverpool people have created an image.
  • Options
    Surely the praise for Dave on this thread is overdone? His notable political success has been to repair much of the damage to the Conservative brand which was cynically and systematically trashed by Alistair Cambell between 1995-2005. But big bad Al's association of 'toxic' with 'conservative party' was always going to lose its sharpness over time.

At GE 2020, the perception of the new conservative leader will be much closer to how his party is rated. That will be healthy for everyone.
  • Options
    @Markfergusonuk: Yesterday I left @LabourList

Today I start working on @leicesterliz’s campaign for Labour leader

And here’s why

https://t.co/Xsx3ytWra6
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,130

Mr. Richard, are local elections also being held in Scotland [at the same time as the Holyrood vote]?

No, 2017.
    Lots of relieved Glasgow SLab councillors no doubt.
  • Options
    Mr. Divvie, cheers.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@Markfergusonuk: Yesterday I left @LabourList

Today I start working on @leicesterliz’s campaign for Labour leader

And here’s why

https://t.co/Xsx3ytWra6

She must have the 35 names then?
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,801

No, 2017.
    Lots of relieved Glasgow SLab councillors no doubt.
    Quite so. Though I see speculation that Mr Matheson of Glasgow will seek to become SLAB leader (only possible of course if either Mr Murphy changes the rules so you don't have to be a MP/MSP, or Mr Matheson fights and wins a MSP seat in May 2016).

Sooner than that, some SNP cooncillors have moved to Westminster so there will be some by-elections. As always, it will be hard to assess shifts when (say) a third choice on each slate of three is being replaced - the voting system inevitably giving priority to the first choice, so it's comparing apples and oranges, or perhaps rather oranges and satsumas.

• Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    I like Yvette Cooper. I've always thought she's good.
  • Options
    @LadPolitics: Andy Burnham into Evens favourite to be next Labour leader. http://t.co/u1hq66S8cX http://t.co/Fz85PZPpwX
  • Options
    Fenster said:

Caroline Flint is IMO much better.

Unfortunately for Flint she was never part of Labour's privileged circle.
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    Ms Flint makes me think of vampires. There's something about her mouth and coldness that just leaves me expecting her to bite someone.

Fenster said:

• Options
    Miss Plato, she's got the YA market sewn up then ;)
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,756
    Scott_P said:

@LadPolitics: Andy Burnham into Evens favourite to be next Labour leader. http://t.co/u1hq66S8cX http://t.co/Fz85PZPpwX

Well at least Labour haven't lost their sense of humour
  • Options

Scott_P said:

But they have not found their sense of direction
  • Options

Fenster said:

Yup , spends far too much time looking in the mirror.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,756
    Financier said:

Scott_P said:

But they have not found their sense of direction
    Of course they have, all those lemmings heading for the cliff can't get there fast enough.

Really they needed an interim leader for 2-3 years.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,995

felix said:

Well they think Cameron is clever so why not another Turkey like Jarvis, he was in the army you know so must have massive brain.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,721

Surely the praise for Dave on this thread is overdone? His notable political success has been to repair much of the damage to the Conservative brand which was cynically and systematically trashed by Alistair Cambell between 1995-2005. But big bad Al's association of 'toxic' with 'conservative party' was always going to lose its sharpness over time.

At GE 2020, the perception of the new conservative leader will be much closer to how his party is rated. That will be healthy for everyone.

I don't think that you can blame Alistair Campbell for making the Tory party toxic. Politicians are always going to paint their opponents in a bad light, but it only tends to stick if the public think it's merited.
This discussion has been closed.