Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Big shake up in next LAB leader betting following Chukka Um

124»

Comments

• Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293
    JPJ2 said:

Plato

"No, No, No! Cameron slaps down Sturgeon demands and tells her to forget about another referendum during 'frank' first talks since the election"

If and when the people of Scotland want another Referendum there will be one

If and when the people of Scotland want independence, they will have it.

It really is that simple, no matter what huffing and puffing goes on.

Really? And under what powers would the people of Scotland have to enact a referendum that impacts the whole of the UK? The Scottish Parliament has no such powers.

• Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108
    TGOHF said:

scotslass said:

TGOHF

Yes given that Salmond was all present and correct in the Scottish Parly yesterday!

http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/top-stories/salmond-outed-as-second-referendum-snp-source-1-3774131

"DAVID Cameron has outed Alex Salmond as the source of reports suggesting the SNP would press ahead with a second independence referendum against the UK Government’s will."

Yer tea's out scotslass...
    Did you actually read the story?

Once again the actual article doesn't match the headline. In fact, just the opposite.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,798
    edited May 2015
    JPJ2 said:

Plato

"No, No, No! Cameron slaps down Sturgeon demands and tells her to forget about another referendum during 'frank' first talks since the election"

I'll be fascinated by the next one then.

The last referendum was full of economic holes that have just got bigger

On currency alone if the GE is anything to go by the SNP haven't a hope in hell of persuading rUK to let them near their wallets. So no currency Union

The Euro then -well that huge government deficit can't go on - Berlin says so -so it's cut back your spending which isn't what the SNP are selling.

Own currency - have you seen the price of oil ? Bigger cut backs needed.

It's all looking fun, bigger lies needed next time.

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,336
    edited May 2015
    I have absolutely no insider info on this...but reminds at this stage of the Coalition government....David Laws had to go, not because of keeping his sexuality hidden, but because of his expenses relating to that relationship.

What always struck me with that story, was that somebody knew all the ins and outs of that and sat on it for a long period of time.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

It's going to be Burnham...

ToriesForBurnham™ are with you on that...
  • Options

Please let there be a scandal involving Tristram Hunt and hookers he forced to dress up as nuns

Sounds like something to bring the NOTW back for.
    Good grief Mr Fletcher - long time no see, welcome back.
  • Options

Yeeeehhaaaaa
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Dair said:

TGOHF said:

scotslass said:

TGOHF

Yes given that Salmond was all present and correct in the Scottish Parly yesterday!

http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/top-stories/salmond-outed-as-second-referendum-snp-source-1-3774131

"DAVID Cameron has outed Alex Salmond as the source of reports suggesting the SNP would press ahead with a second independence referendum against the UK Government’s will."

Once again the actual article doesn't match the headline. In fact, just the opposite.
    The dogs on the street AND the PM know who was running their mouth about a 2nd referendum yesterday. You stay in the Egyptian river if you want my dear old thing..
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,587

There are two possible reasons for Chuka withdrawal, crap excuse about being in the public eye ignored.

1. Scandal
    2. Realising the next leader is highly unlikely to become PM.

The fact that he's briefed that he won't run for London Mayor, a high profile post he would probably get, my money is on 1.

3. A fit of common sense that the last thing anyone needs is another member of the metropolitan elite?

Hugely unlike a politician and a tail event, but...
  • Options
    BannedInParisBannedInParis Posts: 2,191

I have absolutely no insider info on this...but reminds at this stage of the Coalition government....David Laws had to go, not because of keeping his sexuality hidden, but because of his expenses relating to that relationship.

What always struck me with that story, was that somebody knew all the ins and outs of that and sat on it for a long period of time.

I liked the way it broke the very next day after he pissed off Alastair Campbell.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,284
    Dair Given the almost love-in between Sturgeon and Cameron today on the Smith Plans and discussion of further powers it is clear the 2 have far better personal chemistry than Cameron and Salmond regardless of any political differences they may have
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    TGOHF said:

Dair said:

TGOHF said:

scotslass said:

TGOHF

The dogs on the street AND the PM know who was running their mouth about a 2nd referendum yesterday. You stay in the Egyptian river if you want my dear old thing..
    More nonsense and claim without any evidence.

Just like The Hootsman fabricating a lie.

The story contradicts the headline. Cameron is actually quoted dismissing the rumour and falling back to the idiotic, illogical Unionist opinion that they can stop Scottish Independence by portraying a personal opinion over future circumstances by Alex Salmond as some sort of promise.

It's as bogus as the Unionist case to keep Scotland paying out money to England and call it a "deficit" or "black hole" in Scotland's finances. Typical Loyalist lunacy.
  • Options
    Dair said:

TGOHF said:

Dair said:

TGOHF said:

scotslass said:

TGOHF

."

It doesn't what you claim without any evidence.

The story contradicts the headline. Cameron is actually quoted dismissing the rumour and falling back to the idiotic, illogical Unionist opinion that they can stop Scottish Independence by portraying a personal opinion over future circumstances by Alex Salmond as some sort of promise.

It's as bogus as the Unionist case to keep Scotland paying out money to England and call it a "deficit" or "black hole" in Scotland's finances. Typical Loyalist lunacy.
    So the Guardian, the Indy, the Scotsman, the Telegraph and the BBC are all wrong ?

Right...

It's a MSM project fear CONSPIRACY !
  • Options
    JPJ2 said:

Plato

Delusional nonsense. The Scottish Parliament is a body with limited legislative competence. It cannot pass laws that exceed its legislative competence. It is strongly arguable that the Scottish Parliament lacks the legislative competence to call a second referendum. Without the consent of the Westminster Parliament, it will be for the courts, and not the "people of Scotland" to decide whether a second referendum is permissible.
  • Options

Please let there be a scandal involving Tristram Hunt and hookers he forced to dress up as nuns

Thanks. Just got my mojo back with UUP and Tory upswing. And feeling more confident about my analysis as I was feeling the mood against Ed last week.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Dair said:

It doesn't what you claim without any evidence.

So the Guardian, the Indy, the Scotsman, the Telegraph and the BBC are all wrong ?

Right...

It's a MSM project fear CONSPIRACY !
    Are they all wrong or not. That depends what evidence they present.

The only evidence we have so far is an actual lie in The Hootsman. That tends to undermine the Loyalist case. And again, it doesn't matter. Scotland needs another Referendum in the next Holyrood parliament to dissolve this broken and corrupt Union and stop Scotland's wealth being leeched by the rest of the UK.

Cling onto your ridiculous assumptive beliefs that the Second Referendum won't happen. It's quite comical.
  • Options

Thanks. Just got my mojo back with UUP and Tory upswing. And feeling more confident about my analysis as I was feeling the mood against Ed last week.
    Welcome back young sir....long time.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

There are two possible reasons for Chuka withdrawal, crap excuse about being in the public eye ignored.

1. Scandal

The fact that he's briefed that he won't run for London Mayor, a high profile post he would probably get, my money is on 1.

3. A fit of common sense that the last thing anyone needs is another member of the metropolitan elite?

That doesn't explain not going for London. London hardly going to look down on Metro candidate.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Dair said:

Cling onto your ridiculous assumptive beliefs that the Second Referendum won't happen. It's quite comical.

£50 bet that there will be no indy ref 2 before 2020 ?

I'll take 3/1 for you - special price as Willy Hills have 7/2.
  • Options
    Bob__SykesBob__Sykes Posts: 1,176
    TGOHF said:

scotslass said:

TGOHF

Uniquely, I think the Tory Party is the only one at the moment that isn't in the grip of a leadership tussle or internal wrangling!
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    Just backed Chuka!
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    isam said:

Just backed Chuka!

Someone needs to take your card away from you! ;-)
  • Options
    Booooooooooooo

@schofieldkevin: Stand down. Tristram Hunt is "continuing to listen to colleagues" before deciding whether to stand.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    isam said:

Just backed Chuka!

If unresigning is good enough for Nigel...
  • Options
    I see "Dr" Eoin Clarke is backing Andy Burnham....kiss of death?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193
    Just returned to the keyboard after a morning out to find Chukka Khan --> Chukka Khan't. W'appen?
  • Options

TOPPING said:

1. Scandal

That doesn't explain not going for London. London hardly going to look down on Metro candidate.
    Looks like it is 1. and related to his photo walk-about
  • Options
    When I say scandal, something that should not be but...
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    https://twitter.com/thejohnsimpson/status/599152457982304256

vs

I understand that there is no big scandal looming in the weekend press.

https://www.politicshome.com/party-politics/articles/waugh-room/why-chuka-pulled-out

Well somebody isn't telling the truth and going to look like a right wally.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,587

TOPPING said:

1. Scandal

Good point. It is all a bit baffling.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Dair said:

I think the practicalities of betting 4 years ahead informally on a forum make it a little infeasible, no?
  • Options
    @Spectator_CH: Paul Lambert out as Ukip’s head of communications http://t.co/5ijH7xnyEi by @sebastianepayne
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039

How on earth have Labour got themselves into a position where this man is even mildly influential? I mean, it's obviously a Twitter thing, but really?
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,022

vs

https://www.politicshome.com/party-politics/articles/waugh-room/why-chuka-pulled-out

Looks as though it might just be down to the press door-stepping his gran after all ...
  • Options

Burnham has been doing the chicken-in-a-basket circuit with members for many months now. He is their darling. Clear fav in my book.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    There might be another reason for withdrawal -- not getting the support he was counting on.
  • Options
    Dair said:

TGOHF said:

Dair said:

I think the practicalities of betting 4 years ahead informally on a forum make it a little infeasible, no?
    S'up to you.

Mind you MikeK is due me £50 from GE bets - not responding to vanilla messages nor posts asking to get in touch :(

• Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,606

Just returned to the keyboard after a morning out to find Chukka Khan --> Chukka Khan't. W'appen?

He withdrew, citing unexpected pressures.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Scott_P said:

@Spectator_CH: Paul Lambert out as Ukip’s head of communications http://t.co/5ijH7xnyEi by @sebastianepayne

What does the job entail - other than communicating who has left UKIP in the past hour?
  • Options
    edited May 2015

How on earth have Labour got themselves into a position where this man is even mildly influential? I mean, it's obviously a Twitter thing, but really?
    Because the likes of Bad Al constantly retweet his unfortunate factual inaccuracies, which more often than not end up requiring a full and frank admission of error in order to ensure there aren't any legal proceedings taken.
  • Options

Oh. Weird.

Are they like the Rumsfeldian unknown unknowns?
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046

TGOHF said:

scotslass said:

TGOHF

Uniquely, I think the Tory Party is the only one at the moment that isn't in the grip of a leadership tussle or internal wrangling!
    The run up to the EU referendum should split both the Tory party and The right wing MSM, as both campaigns go into project fear mode !!
  • Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474
    Scott_P said:

Farage hollowing out the Party machine.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820

What does the job entail - other than communicating who has left the UKIP in the past hour?

That's quite hard to keep up with, to be fair.
  • Options
    edited May 2015

Scott_P said:

What does the job entail - other than communicating who has left UKIP in the past hour?
    Always wondered what happened to the former Aston Ham United, I mean West Villa, I mean Aston Villa manager :-)
  • Options
    calum said:

TGOHF said:

scotslass said:

TGOHF

The run up to the EU referendum should split both the Tory party and The right wing MSM, as both campaigns go into project fear mode !!
    MSM - tick
    Project fear - tick
    What no "SEVCO !" ?

• Options
    Dair Even Sturgeon herself said she had a productive meeting with Cameron today, there will be no second referendum in this parliament unless Brexit and Scotland votes In in 2017 (and even then many nationalists will vote OUT)
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046

vs

By-election alert ?
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

Oh. Weird.

I can't see how media pressures on an aspirant leader of the opposition are an unknown unknown. Very much a known known, I'd have thought.
  • Options

vs

Not sure whether it will now run, but apparently there was something that looked bad for Chukka but should not be...
  • Options
    Newstatesman seems pretty secure in saying there is no Sunday big story looming.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,071
    Scott_P said:

That's going to cost UKIP a small fortune surely?

He quit a lobby job at the BBC for UKIP only six months ago, can't imagine that he moved for the challenge of the role...
  • Options
    edited May 2015

Newstatesman seems pretty secure in saying there is no Sunday big story looming.

Been injuncted or put back in the filing cabinet for a rainy day?
  • Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474
    edited May 2015

Or there was until lawyers spiked the story.

It's classic timing; Sunday's get a story, tell those involved on a Friday morning, and the legal teams get to work. One hefty 4 or 5 figure bill later and the dust settles.
  • Options
    Not convinced at all about the door stepping a 102-year-old rumour. Sounds like a 'look squirrel' type of thing. Nobody has money to waste on spending time trying to trap a peripheral figure like that. Now, the girlfriend, I could believe that. But that doesn't demonise the Press enough.
  • Options
    Hunt continues to tease. I guess he's busy finding out whether he can get the 35.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited May 2015

Been injuncted or put back in the filing cabinet for a rainy day?
    Or, more likely, the helpful 'friend' who tipped off Chuka was able to ensure that the Sundays didn't get hold of it...

Liz better check for horses' heads before tucking herself into bed tonight.
  • Options

Hunt continues to tease. I guess he's busy finding out whether he can get the 35.

If Labour MPs watched QT last night it will be lucky to get 3 or 4.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,071
    edited May 2015
    antifrank said:

Oh. Weird.

I can't see how media pressures on an aspirant leader of the opposition are an unknown unknown. Very much a known known, I'd have thought.
    Quite. There must be something that he'd hoped could have remained unknown, but has become known to someone in the press today.
  • Options
    dugarbandierdugarbandier Posts: 2,596
    Dair said:

BETTING POST.

No idea how interested anyone here is in cycling but Alberto Contador has dislocated his shoulder and his chance of winning the Giro d'Italia has plummeted (he may not even finish to gear up for a better shot at the Tour de France ).

Richie Porte could go odds on tomorrow if he performs well on a big mountain finish, if he wins that stage, his odds will definitely drop below evens. At that point he will become a very good value Lay.

He has never performed for an entire three week tour, he will have bad days given his history and he won't win the giro. That's my opinion so DYOR.

Contador is one hard bastard
  • Options
    dugarbandierdugarbandier Posts: 2,596

Dair said:

BETTING POST.

No idea how interested anyone here is in cycling but Alberto Contador has dislocated his shoulder and his chance of winning the Giro d'Italia has plummeted (he may not even finish to gear up for a better shot at the Tour de France ).

Richie Porte could go odds on tomorrow if he performs well on a big mountain finish, if he wins that stage, his odds will definitely drop below evens. At that point he will become a very good value Lay.

He has never performed for an entire three week tour, he will have bad days given his history and he won't win the giro. That's my opinion so DYOR.

I don't mean that he'll win. just impressed by his inpervience to pain and abiliy to ride with broken legs etc.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,044
    Dair said:

TGOHF said:

Dair said:

Actually, it's better - you don't tie the cash up for 4 years, and Harry is a long term poster. Hills could go bust in 4 years too - you never know.
  • Options
    @MichaelLCrick: Keir Starmer for Labour leader may sound outlandish. He's 20-1, but Crick's law of leader elections is the freshest contenders usually wins

Polly has been ramping him all day
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Well the Associate editor of Breitbart is making is fairly clear what the rumours are in Westminster via his twitter account.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Dair Even Sturgeon herself said she had a productive meeting with Cameron today, there will be no second referendum in this parliament unless Brexit and Scotland votes In in 2017 (and even then many nationalists will vote OUT)

The only thing that can stop the Second Referendum being on the ballot for 2016 is if FFA is offered and the fiscal framework is attractive to Scotland. Any other outcome over the next 10 months and the Referendum will be on offer.

Cameron's dilemma is that he can't offer FFA under a reasonable framework because it would expose the core Unionist lie of the Referendum campaign.

I do think it is possible that the Referendum offer may be contingent instead of absolute. In fact, that would probably give Sturgeon even more power over Cameron than the electorate already gave her.

I almost feel sorry for those die hard True Believer Unionists. Being reduced to a denial of democracy as the only way to avoid the Union being dissolved must feel quite bad even to them.
  • Options
    calum said:

vs

By-election alert ?
    Is there a market for this? I would quite fancy a couple of quid on St Helens South.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    This puts into context how much news sinks in:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CFDcYTdWoAACCav.jpg

Even the general election was only noticed by just over half of respondents.
  • Options
    New Fred
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Dair said:

TGOHF said:

Dair said:

Actually, it's better - you don't tie the cash up for 4 years, and Harry is a long term poster. Hills could go bust in 4 years too - you never know.
    The concern about accepting was more on my part in that I can't be certain I would even be posting here in 4 years time (or even remember I had an obligation).
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,978

I rather like "Dr" Clarkes spoof account.

(Labour really are in trouble, aren't they?)
  • Options

Dair said:

BETTING POST.

I don't mean that he'll win. just impressed by his inpervience to pain and abiliy to ride with broken legs etc.
    He certainly can suffer (you can't even be a domestique pro-cyclist unless you can suffer well beyond what 99% of the population could manage. But it will stop him winning and likely make Porte a favourite (if he does have a good show tomorrow).
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@MichaelLCrick: Keir Starmer for Labour leader may sound outlandish. He's 20-1, but Crick's law of leader elections is the freshest contenders usually wins

Keir Starmer is definitely NOT what Labour needs - a London Lawyer who was parachuted into his seat and may have some controversial items relating to his time as DPP.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Dair Sturgeon does not even want FFA at the moment with the offshore losses in the economy counteracting the onshore growth, yes there may be a second referendum in 15 years or so, but there will not be a second referendum in this parliament unless Brexit. In the end a deal somewhere between Smith + FFA will probably be accepted by both sides
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

I rather like "Dr" Clarkes spoof account.

(Labour really are in trouble, aren't they?)
    What is the spoof account?
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Keir Starmer is definitely NOT what Labour needs - a London Lawyer who was parachuted into his seat and may have some controversial items relating to his time as DPP.
    Oh, please, please Keir stand. I might make back all the money lost on bets over election that followed the polls.
  • Options
    Somebody had Keir for £2 at 750/1
  • Options
    #keirforleader on twitter. There will be a twitter storm at 6pm. Be interesting to see the level of response from grassroots.
  • Options
    PeterCPeterC Posts: 1,274
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Lucian I owe you a tenner
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    I agree with Ken Livingstone their needs to be a much wider range of candidates for Labour leader.This problem in the new rules of 15% assumed a Labour government of over 326 when we've ended up with 238.So what if there are 6,8,10 candidates.
    My few bob on Yvette Cooper at 5-1 with Shadsy's mob-or ex-mob-is now a tradeable asset.She IMHO is the best representative of modern Britain from the available candidates.Experience counts for a lot and she appears generally competent.She may now be also an attractive option for those Labour members who would probably supported Chuka Umunna.For Labour to recover it needs to embrace federalism and quickly.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    I remember when Keir Starmer was making decisions to prosecute to camera in the full glare of the media and thought it had nothing to do with justice and everything to do with the self-promotion of Keir Starmer. I thought he was a prat then and nothing has come along to alter my opinion bar reinforcing the fact that I was right all along.
This discussion has been closed.