Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Marf on this final day

Comments

• Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,997
    acf2310 said:

Stig Abell ‏@StigAbell 23m23 minutes ago
    Tories to lead coalition on weekdays; Labour at weekends and on holidays. Shared custody of Nick Clegg, obviously.

YouGov is definitely looking like a 10,000 sample tie.

That's funny
  • Options
    NoEasyDayNoEasyDay Posts: 454

NoEasyDay said:

The population of the UK has increased by approx 10% in the last few years most of working/ voting age. We know 8 out 10 immigrants vote Labour. And even if they don't vote they can take part in polls. Where are all these folks registered to vote, well I doubt its Kensington and Chelsea. They will buy and rent where the housing is cheapest which is solidly working class areas. Labour constituencies, rock solid Labour constituencies. Labour wasted vote syndrome anybody ?

The population of the UK hasn't increased 10% in the "last few years" it went up 7% between 2001 and 2011. It's mostly been driven by births rather than immigration. Read the 2011 census for the facts.

Most of the immigration that has occurred has taken place from the EU, EU citizens can't vote.

You're pretty much wrong about everything
    One of the founding policies of the EU is the ability to live, work AND vote in the place you reside. Or did you change the EU constitution.

The 2011 census was four years ago and the work compiling obviously predates that. In fact if it went up 7% between 2001 and 2011 its not hard to see it going up a further 3% over the next four years.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

JackW do you take bets?!

Always .... and always Mrs JackW wins.

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 93,358
    peterbuss said:

kle4 said:

Sandpit said:

Should I drink alcohol tomorrow evening? I am sorely tempted.

I think we all will be at this rate.
    Quite. This is the election of a lifetime.

Do any of the site's more esteemed contributors have memories of February 1974 and what that was like to live through?
    It's a secret that actually every poster on here is 25 years old or younger, hence the excitability combined with certainty of opinion.

In all honesty, I too would be interested to know what it was like.
    Whilst disappointed with the result I would rate it way above this one for the quality of the arguments and campaigning. Heath called an Election because he thought he would walk it and see the Miners off unfortunately half way through a report came out backing up the miners wage claim! Nevertheless the result was still a shock to many and we had the undignified sight of Heath clinging on whilst not even being the largest Party. We then all came back for a re run in October with just as inconclusive a result.
    I think this has been quite the worst GE I can remember for the paucity of arguments in any meaningful sense. Friday morning we will all have been served a right dogs breakfast.

Unfortunately I am a firm believer that we get the politicians that we deserve - our political class would not be what it is or treat us as they treat us if it had not worked on us. It's why they so often take voters for granted - it's very rare that it ever costs them.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 14,012
    After clocking up nearly 25 miles on foot today, I'm feeling positive that Dorset will go entirely blue tomorrow! Far, far fewer orange in Mid Dorset than I've ever seen before.
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,054
    NoEasyDay said:

NoEasyDay said:

The population of the UK has increased by approx 10% in the last few years most of working/ voting age. We know 8 out 10 immigrants vote Labour. And even if they don't vote they can take part in polls. Where are all these folks registered to vote, well I doubt its Kensington and Chelsea. They will buy and rent where the housing is cheapest which is solidly working class areas. Labour constituencies, rock solid Labour constituencies. Labour wasted vote syndrome anybody ?

The population of the UK hasn't increased 10% in the "last few years" it went up 7% between 2001 and 2011. It's mostly been driven by births rather than immigration. Read the 2011 census for the facts.

Most of the immigration that has occurred has taken place from the EU, EU citizens can't vote.

One of the founding policies of the EU is the ability to live, work AND vote in the place you reside. Or did you change the EU constitution.
    EU citizens can only vote in local elections.

• Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    JackW said:

BREAKING WIND NEWS **** BREAKING WIND NEWS **** BREAKING WIND NEWS ****

The breaking news is that WIND is reporting to the JNN the contents of the eve of poll SUPER ARSE with added SUPER APLOMB 2015 General Election and "JackW Dozen" Projections. (Changes From 5th May Projection) :

Con 302 (-2) .. Lab 251 (+2) .. LibDem 28 (NC) .. SNP 42 (NC) .. PC 3 .. NI 18 .. UKIP 3 .. Respect 1 .. Green 1 .. Ind 0 .. Speaker 1

Conservatives 24 seats short of a majority

Turnout Projection .. 68% (+0.5)

All of this seems plausible except SNP 42 looks quite low.
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046
    This is probably SLAB's best video of their campaign, simple messaging, a few glimpses of Jim, Brown ranting and no mention of the SNP. All was going fine until the end of the video, when I expected Jim to pop up, instead we get Eddie Izzard in make up and a skirt speaking posh !!

https://twitter.com/JimForScotland/status/596028926675144704
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,087

Sandpit said:

Do any of the site's more esteemed contributors have memories of February 1974 and what that was like to live through?
    We didn't have Twitter or even smart phones

I still had a black and white 14" TV.

However I remember the election of October 1964 much more clearly. I made my first political bet that October. I was certain the Labour would win. A college friend said if I was certain (he was reading philosophy) I would obviously accept a bet at 100/1. I felt obliged to say yes. It was £100 to £1 which was a lot of money at that time. I sweated that election. It taught me a lesson about certainty (and betting).
  • Options

@TSEofPB: Latest Sheffield Hallam Lib Dem leaflet http://t.co/2cYwiD31HW

I like that it tells you to turn over the leaflet to find out how to beat Labour in Sheffield Hallam. What mystery action are they recommending can beat them?

A Lib-Lab pact would be great fun if Clegg were somehow still Labour. He'll say, look, I did stop Labour here, and even though I am in government with them now, that's still better than another Labour MP, right?

If he is still leader and DPM 2 months from now I firmly believe he will be leader forever, as he will have proven himself to be politically immortal.
  • Options
    JamesMJamesM Posts: 221
    I submitted my final prediction to my work prediction league yesterday and it bears a remarkable similarity to @JackW's ARSE.

Conservative - 304
    Labour - 250
    Lib Dem - 24
    SNP - 46
    Green - 1
    UKIP - 3
    Plaid Cymru - 3
    Others - 19 (NI + Galloway)

I was the most optimistic for the Conservatives but everyone except one placed the Conservatives as the largest party.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Ceefax was around in 1974, for the October election. It launched on 23rd September:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ceefax
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    chestnut said:

Postal vote mess in Hackney.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2015-england-32607289

20,000 registrations in one week?????

The new Tower Hamlets.

Who is the Labour candidate - just wondering.
  • Options
    NoEasyDay said:

NoEasyDay said:

The 2011 census was four years ago and the work compiling obviously predates that.
    Er, actually it doesn't. It wasn't "compiled", it was filled in by the residents of the UK for a single day in 2011. The work in assembling and reporting the data is post hoc.

• Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,761
    Mortimer said:

After clocking up nearly 25 miles on foot today, I'm feeling positive that Dorset will go entirely blue tomorrow! Far, far fewer orange in Mid Dorset than I've ever seen before.

That's a good effort, nearly a marathon!
  • Options

NoEasyDay said:

NoEasyDay said:

And European elections.

But Australians can vote in the UK elections.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 39,138
    IOS said:

Yes Southam - you will be adding to your terrible tipping history

And you should take me out for that dinner you owe me

Let's do it. How can I contact you to arrange?

• Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    chestnut said:

The new Tower Hamlets.

In 2010 Hackney took an amazing 16 hours to count their two constituencies.
  • Options
    Oh hell, might as well give my estimate for tomorrow:

Conservative: 312
    Labour: 245
    Lib Dems: 20
    SNP: 45
    UKIP: 5
    NI: 18
    PC: 3
    Green: 1
    Speaker: 1

Logic:
    (1) Conservative vote will hold up very strongly motivated by fear of Ed; Blue Kippers will head back to Conservatives to stop him. Also LD switch to Conservative (see 3); I haven't factored in possible "shy Tory" factor in London (i.e. people who say they will vote Labour but worry about the Mansion Tax and then vote Tory).

(2) Labour vote will be soft; no real desire to see Ed as PM; old rallying calls of "Save the NHS" no longer work (Wales, mid-Staffs); postal vote advantage eroded since last time by IRV; strong chance polls not picking up a significant body of WWC who will actually vote UKIP even if they say they tell the pollster they will vote Labour;

(3) LD will do weaker as a lot of their Tory-leaning supporters will be fearful by the possibility the LDs could do a deal with Labour. Conservatives will therefore pick up most of the LD-Tory challenges. Most LD-Labour fights probably lost with some exceptions with tactical voting (I actually think Hornsey and Wood Green will be close);

(4) SNP: no-one can accept a revolution until it actually happens. Labour's brand appears to be now trashed up there and there is no downside to voting SNP for many Scots. Suspect there will not be much Conservative tactical help for Labour;

(5) UKIP - Carswell to win, and Farage; Reckless to lose. However, UKIP to pick up a few others (H&M, Dudley North and the Rotherham / Rother Valley seats plus one or two other possibilities).
  • Options
    kle4 said:

peterbuss said:

kle4 said:

Sandpit said:

It's a secret that actually every poster on here is 25 years old or younger, hence the excitability combined with certainty of opinion.

Whilst disappointed with the result I would rate it way above this one for the quality of the arguments and campaigning. Heath called an Election because he thought he would walk it and see the Miners off unfortunately half way through a report came out backing up the miners wage claim! Nevertheless the result was still a shock to many and we had the undignified sight of Heath clinging on whilst not even being the largest Party. We then all came back for a re run in October with just as inconclusive a result.
    I think this has been quite the worst GE I can remember for the paucity of arguments in any meaningful sense. Friday morning we will all have been served a right dogs breakfast.

Unfortunately I am a firm believer that we get the politicians that we deserve - our political class would not be what it is or treat us as they treat us if it had not worked on us. It's why they so often take voters for granted - it's very rare that it ever costs them.
    I think the politicians are about to see what happens when the voters are taken for granted.
  • Options
    paulyorkpaulyork Posts: 50
    Some interesting rounding in that panelbase poll. Adds to 100 but three parties down 1% each and one up 1%.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,129
    Good evening, everyone.

Good work, Mr. Mortimer. Your first name isn't Roger, perchance?
  • Options
    JonCisBackJonCisBack Posts: 911
    Went to pick up my daughter from netball club at the local school. Polling Station signs up already

THIS IS NOT A DRILL PEOPLE!

I am so geekily excited even though I am still quite torn as to what I want to happen. Can;t see the tories winning by loads (pref #1) so I think I might want labour to sneak it if it's basically a draw as the polls suggest, because they will be handed a pig in a poke.

Can't help feeling that my parents will be the main winners though...they are both polling station clerks in lovely Warwickshire villages at £150 for a day reading some books and sitting on their backsides!
  • Options
    weejonnie said:

chestnut said:

The new Tower Hamlets.

Who is the Labour candidate - just wondering.
    As long as you applied before the deadline, surely you should be able to contact Hackney council tomorrow to get put on the register. They should be pulling all the stops out as an emergency measure.

• Options
    edited May 2015
    Sandpit said:

kle4 said:

peterbuss said:

kle4 said:

Sandpit said:

I think the politicians are about to see what happens when the voters are taken for granted.
    Some of them, and at long last, but mostly in Scotland alone. The others are shaken, but they can still rely on us.
  • Options

Good evening, everyone.

Good work, Mr. Mortimer. Your first name isn't Roger, perchance?

I wish - would love to be an Earl of March!

Amazing how quickly it adds up - and how hard it is to find some addresses!

• Options
    PurseybearPurseybear Posts: 766
    edited May 2015
    Sky News just said tomorrows YouGov poll for the Sun is Con 34 Lab 34
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,851

Sky News just said tomorrows YouGov poll is 34 Con 34 Lab

Yawn.
  • Options
    Mr. Mortimer, probably don't want your head lopping off, though ;)

My sympathies on addresses. Sometimes they can seem very odd, with street names changing for no apparent reason and numbers getting missed out.
  • Options

Can't help feeling that my parents will be the main winners though...they are both polling station clerks in lovely Warwickshire villages at £150 for a day reading some books and sitting on their backsides!

£150! Where do you sign up for that?

• Options
    PurseybearPurseybear Posts: 766

So what was the "wow" all about then?!
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 22,203

EICIPM
  • Options

Oh hell, might as well give my estimate for tomorrow:

Conservative: 312
    Labour: 245
    Lib Dems: 20
    SNP: 45
    UKIP: 5
    NI: 18
    PC: 3
    Green: 1
    Speaker: 1

Logic:
    (1) Conservative vote will hold up very strongly motivated by fear of Ed; Blue Kippers will head back to Conservatives to stop him. Also LD switch to Conservative (see 3); I haven't factored in possible "shy Tory" factor in London (i.e. people who say they will vote Labour but worry about the Mansion Tax and then vote Tory).

(2) Labour vote will be soft; no real desire to see Ed as PM; old rallying calls of "Save the NHS" no longer work (Wales, mid-Staffs); postal vote advantage eroded since last time by IRV; strong chance polls not picking up a significant body of WWC who will actually vote UKIP even if they say they tell the pollster they will vote Labour;

(3) LD will do weaker as a lot of their Tory-leaning supporters will be fearful by the possibility the LDs could do a deal with Labour. Conservatives will therefore pick up most of the LD-Tory challenges. Most LD-Labour fights probably lost with some exceptions with tactical voting (I actually think Hornsey and Wood Green will be close);

(4) SNP: no-one can accept a revolution until it actually happens. Labour's brand appears to be now trashed up there and there is no downside to voting SNP for many Scots. Suspect there will not be much Conservative tactical help for Labour;

(5) UKIP - Carswell to win, and Farage; Reckless to lose. However, UKIP to pick up a few others (H&M, Dudley North and the Rotherham / Rother Valley seats plus one or two other possibilities).

5 would be a very good night for UKIP. I'm sticking with 3: Clacton, Rochester, and one of Thanet South or Thurrock.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,472

NoEasyDay said:

NoEasyDay said:

The 2011 census was four years ago and the work compiling obviously predates that.
    Er, actually it doesn't. It wasn't "compiled", it was filled in by the residents of the UK for a single day in 2011. The work in assembling and reporting the data is post hoc.

And done by me!
  • Options
    acf2310acf2310 Posts: 141

So what was the "wow" all about then?!
    I think it ended up being 'wow, we polled 10,000 people to try and find something different and there was STILL a tie!'

• Options
    God damnit YouGov, not even on the final night can you get interesting?
  • Options

Not sure, they don't always get the gig. It's £200 if you are "senior" (the one who has to drive the boxes to the leisure centre/town hall)
  • Options
    Just watch Messi - just absolutely fab - 2 goals in five mins of world class
  • Options

NoEasyDay said:

NoEasyDay said:

And European elections.

But Australians can vote in the UK elections.
    All Commonwealth citizens can. My Canadian friend is voting.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    edited May 2015
    My biggest ever FGS win w that Messi goal

Hoping for the biggest ever political win tmrw!
  • Options

Not sure, they don't always get the gig. It's £200 if you are "senior" (the one who has to drive the boxes to the leisure centre/town hall)
    I always thought local authorities just used current and former staff by and large for electoral duties, and that once on the list they'll keep using you.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 115,481
    So I have to edit PB tonight, nice quiet night I hope, with not much happening.
  • Options

Mr. Mortimer, probably don't want your head lopping off, though ;)

My sympathies on addresses. Sometimes they can seem very odd, with street names changing for no apparent reason and numbers getting missed out.

True. Was so chuffed to be able to get a medieval history reference onto PB, though.

My own fault really, re addresses: I offered to go on foot to find the addresses that the first tranche of activists couldn't find....
  • Options
    kle4 said:

I always thought local authorities just used current and former staff by and large for electoral duties, and that once on the list they'll keep using you.
    Well they have never worked for a local authority that much I do know. I will ask them
  • Options
    IOS said:

According to the FT - Labour are going to be flooding marginals like Hornsey and Woodgreen with ..... 1,600 activists

One thousand six hundred

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/7bf86804-f25a-11e4-892a-00144feab7de.html#axzz3ZO6khkJS

Sounds like not a lot will get done in Local Govt tomorrow.
  • Options

I am so geekily excited even though I am still quite torn as to what I want to happen. Can;t see the tories winning by loads (pref #1) so I think I might want labour to sneak it if it's basically a draw as the polls suggest, because they will be handed a pig in a poke.

My feeling too - if it's a dead heat then let Ed deal with the mess.
    But then I'm gonna be out of the country for most of the next 6 months and not have to deal with him being in power!
  • Options
    Mr. kle4, I did counting once (locals). I did get invited back, but didn't go. [Tip for those attending: don't stand right by the ****ing table. The counter's job isn't too difficult, but is made easier by not having a youthful moron unwittingly presenting their crotch at eye level two feet away].

I certainly did get even £100, but it was a little while ago.
  • Options
    All todays Polls so far EICIPM

Com Res still to cluster (i mean be released)
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    34-34 is a fantastic hedge, isn't it?
  • Options
    IOSIOS Posts: 1,450
    Ahh didums Republic
  • Options

All todays Polls so far EICIPM

Com Res still to cluster (i mean be released)

Survation too
  • Options
    paulyork said:

Some interesting rounding in that panelbase poll. Adds to 100 but three parties down 1% each and one up 1%.

The last one added up to 102%.

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,156
    kle4 said:

@TSEofPB: Latest Sheffield Hallam Lib Dem leaflet http://t.co/2cYwiD31HW

I like that it tells you to turn over the leaflet to find out how to beat Labour in Sheffield Hallam. What mystery action are they recommending can beat them?

A Lib-Lab pact would be great fun if Clegg were somehow still Labour. He'll say, look, I did stop Labour here, and even though I am in government with them now, that's still better than another Labour MP, right?

If he is still leader and DPM 2 months from now I firmly believe he will be leader forever, as he will have proven himself to be politically immortal.
    Wonder what the tactical Tories of Hallam would make of that :D ?
  • Options
    Mr. Mortimer, it's good to dabble occasionally in modern history.

Mr. Eagles, hope you get some sleep during the day tomorrow. And the site holds up.

I was thinking I might try and spend the night writing.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Deletion
  • Options
    So I still haven't decided which way to vote.

I'm sorry to say I have ruled out a comedy vote for the Greens, as they didn't even put anything through the door, so I'm not rewarding that lack of effort.

That leaves Con/LD/UKIP/Lab

Con - I do have a lot of time for Cameron, but he's on the way out, and who knows what the Tories will look like a week from now.
    LD - I've voted for them in the past, and I think the coalition has done alright, but I don't know, I'm just feeling reluctant for some reason.
    UKIP - I would like UKIP to do well, on the basis that I think more parties should get more representation, though I don't find that that appealing
    Lab - They haven't wowed me, and due to geographic specific culture I'm generally a bit more wary of them, but I think Ed will be more competent even in the face of some difficult challenges than many think, and maybe I should back the winning team(nationally at any rate)
  • Options
    compouter2compouter2 Posts: 2,371
    edited May 2015

So I have to edit PB tonight, nice quiet night I hope, with not much happening.

LOL. Ignore that.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

We didn't have Twitter or even smart phones

Ha, very good Mike, I did think of adding that we didn't have PB in 1974!

BTW, will we be getting a donate button, as I'm hoping to win some money in the next couple of days and would like to contribute to your hosting bill? I'm sure I'm not the only one either!
    Agreed
  • Options
    Sporting's Con/Lab seat Supremacy spread is currently 22 - 28.
    Will OGH be topping up his SELL bet?
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,386
    What are the odds on ComRes still showing Con +3?

Seems likely they'll head back towards a tie.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    I'll go for: Con 285, Lab 270, LD 25, SNP 50, UKIP 1, PC3.

Pretty much the messiest possible outcome :-)
  • Options

Mr. Mortimer, it's good to dabble occasionally in modern history.

Mr. Eagles, hope you get some sleep during the day tomorrow. And the site holds up.

I was thinking I might try and spend the night writing.

I have to be up at 4am tomorrow, to Get out the Vote in various bits of West Yorkshire.

Finish around 3, sleep, wake up at 8pm, and then edit PB tomorrow night as well.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,386
    Cameron now favourite again for next PM.

What on earth is going on?
  • Options
    My prediction I did earlier. Not sure how a stable government comes out of this mess, election before end of 2016 I suspect:

Con 35% 285 seats
    Lab 32% 258 seats
    LD 9% 25 seats
    SNP 48% (of Scotland) 55 seats
    UKIP 11% 3 seats
    Greens 4% 1 seat
    Plaid Cymru <1% 3 seats
    Speaker 1 seat
    Respect 1 seat
    DUP 9
    SDLP 3
    Sinn Fein 5 (not taken)
    Independent (Lady Sylvia Hermon) 1
  • Options
    Bye bye Dave.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    James Chapman (Mail) ‏@jameschappers ·
    Our final pre-election poll from @ComResPolls due at 10pm: interesting stuff on voting intention, preferred PM and undecideds #GE2015

• Options
    edited May 2015
    MikeL said:

Cameron now favourite again for next PM.

What on earth is going on?

Random, completely unsubstantiated guess? The fact now practically all the polls, not just most of them, are pointing to EICIPM has finally convinced some people the polls are simply wrong, so Cameron must therefore be doing better and they can get good odds on that now before people realise the 'truth'.

Sometimes elections people think are too close to call are not actually too close to call - this one might be in terms of the vote share, and even most seats, but the outcome really is not seeming that close, it's just that many people cannot believe that it is not that close, so predict and bet accordingly.

Or I'm an idiot - we'll see tomorrow (or more likely Friday or even Saturday, as I'm at a count then to work on Friday.)
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    Wait, Tom Newton Dunn "wow"ed for a 34-34? What's going on?!
  • Options
    Barcelona destroy Bayern.
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, adrenaline and tequila will keep you going.
  • Options

I think the wow was for the size.
  • Options
    Just tried to re-read some threads from 2010, but the comments have all gone...?
  • Options
    3-0 Barcelona
  • Options

TND wow'd a sample of 10k.
  • Options
    Stereotomy

It was the moment of realisation that The Sun had overplayed its hand.

Bye bye Dave
  • Options

With no DL, I'm clearly not management material! Seems like when I applied for loads of library jobs in the past. They'd remark what a high mark I scored on the test while looking at me with distaste. Just didn't look enough like a respectable 50 year old lady. Eddie I zzard would have been a shoo-in.
  • Options
    ComRes retweeted
    James Chapman (Mail) ‏@jameschappers 5m5 minutes ago
    Our final pre-election poll from @ComResPolls due at 10pm: interesting stuff on voting intention, preferred PM and undecideds #GE2015
  • Options

If I had a pound for every time that has happened... I'd have £1
  • Options

Probably because it has shown a tie.
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    edited May 2015
    AndyJS said:

Ceefax was around in 1974, for the October election. It launched on 23rd September:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ceefax

And TBH it was much faster and readable than the digital c**p we get these days courtesy of the BBC - where often there are only 20 words on a page.

For a time you could even download BBCBasic programmes. (1980 onwards)
  • Options
    kle4 said:

I'm sorry to say I have ruled out a comedy vote for the Greens, as they didn't even put anything through the door, so I'm not rewarding that lack of effort.

Con - I do have a lot of time for Cameron, but he's on the way out, and who knows what the Tories will look like a week from now.
    LD - I've voted for them in the past, and I think the coalition has done alright, but I don't know, I'm just feeling reluctant for some reason.
    UKIP - I would like UKIP to do well, on the basis that I think more parties should get more representation, though I don't find that that appealing
    Lab - They haven't wowed me, and due to geographic specific culture I'm generally a bit more wary of them, but I think Ed will be more competent even in the face of some difficult challenges than many think, and maybe I should back the winning team(nationally at any rate)

why the desire to back the winning team? i'd rather back a loser. then it isn't my fault!
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    isam said:

If I had a pound for every time that has happened... I'd have £1
    The question is how many pounds TND would have O:)
  • Options
    bunncobunnco Posts: 169
    Extraordinarily well organised and resourced targeted Tory operation in Norwich North for Chloe Smith this evening drawing-in volunteers from miles around.

Over in Great Yarmouth, very compelling "You are in a Marginal Constituency and this is what's at stake and this is what you can do about it" leaflet delivered throughout to focus the Blue-Kippers' minds.

#TheEndGame

Bunnco - Your Man on the Spot
  • Options

I'm just obsessed about the pandas bet and if Reckless were to lose
  • Options
    asjohnstoneasjohnstone Posts: 1,276
    NoEasyDay said:

NoEasyDay said:

The 2011 census was four years ago and the work compiling obviously predates that. In fact if it went up 7% between 2001 and 2011 its not hard to see it going up a further 3% over the next four years.
    No, I just read the law and i know who can vote. The fact that you don't means I should probably leave it here, but I'll continue a little bit more.

Has population increased by 10% between 2001 and 2015 ? Yeah, perhaps, no one really knows. I don't think you meant that time period though when you said the "last few years" though.

You painted a picture of a vast flood of working age people, who overwhelmingly vote labour, thus leading to large numbers of wasted votes in safe seats, reducing overall vote efficiency. Nothing you say is supported by the facts.
  • Options
    Bunnco

You got 1,600 people there?
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,993
    This isn't good. Came home from campaigning sick as a dog this afternoon. Am now slightly less sick as a dog but roasting hot. Great timing...
  • Options
    Will bookies still be betting on constituencies tomorrow morning?
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    This is an absolute magnum opus from Number Cruncher Politics and might explain a lot - the market love for the Tories, the seats the leaders are campaigning in.

It also features the delicious line:

If this historical pattern holds, Dan Hodges is about to be proven right

http://www.ncpolitics.uk/2015/05/shy-tory-factor-2015.html/

Unfortunately I think his site may be struggling under weight of traffic.
  • Options

I will be working my nuts off tomorrow for Mark to keep R&S and your hate will drive me on when I am flagging!
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Are we sure Sky wasn't quoting yesterday's YouGov?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,536
    edited May 2015
    The campaign is over.

Well done to all those workers from each party who are going to bed tonight with aching bodies. You have given the voters a choice. Democracy can ask no more of you.

Whether the ungrateful bastards vote your guy in is out of your hands now.
  • Options

kle4 said:

why the desire to back the winning team?
    I meant to put 'for a change' at the end of that sentence. Although technically I had hoped for Lib-Con coalition last time when I voted LD, Con were still the real 'winners'. This is a safe Tory seat, so I suppose I could vote for anyone but them and no matter who wins nationally it's not my fault in any case.
  • Options

I will be working my nuts off tomorrow for Mark to keep R&S and your hate will drive me on when I am flagging!
    I don't hate him.
  • Options
    Cameron being PM tightening on Betfair

Lab most seat tightening.

Clearly both cant be right
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    On the brilliant messi -

Christian Guy ‏@ChristianGuy_ ·
    Cheapest Barcelona season ticket: £103
    Cheapest Shrewsbury Town season ticket: £250

• Options

No matter what else happens tomorrow night, there will be champagne on ice ready for when Reckless loses his seat.
  • Options
    MarqueeMark

What a stupid statement. tomorrow is the main day. God are the Tories that useless
This discussion has been closed.