Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Undefined discussion subject.

SystemSystem Posts: 11,684
edited April 2015 in General

Comments

• Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    edited April 2015
    1 4% lead is happenstance, 2 in one day smells like napalm in the morning.
  • Options
    Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411
    (CON) Party time!
  • Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    Squirrel down...I repeat squirrel down....
  • Options
    PurseybearPurseybear Posts: 766
    We may be starting to see the first chinks of light between the parties. Tories edging ahead.

YG will show nothing of course. It never does.
  • Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293
    Are the wheels coming of the Miliband-wagon?
  • Options
    Fascinating.
  • Options
    TabmanTabman Posts: 1,046
    What time is you Gov?
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    So SNP / PC are 9% ?
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    It's a terrible indictment of the cuts that the site doesn't have free tranquillisers for all posters each time a poll comes out.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,288
    Where is Survation?
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    Just been out for dinner in Lagos in Portugal .. much merriment and now.much fun with these poll results... where is Compouter. Id est tim???
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    Is Survation dead?
  • Options
    Have said before the SNP would be the game changer but was received rather sceptically. These poll moves have to be connected to the Scottish issue
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704
    That guardian front page will go down in history....
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,288
    edited April 2015
    Caution - remember Panelbase - effectively cancels out the Survation.

One ComRes with Con +4 is not decisive.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,770
    Well well well. Things at least moving in the direction of becoming interesting. The coming days will be very crucial in setting or maintaining a narrative.

But for old times' sake, here's an over the top comment.

Silly Tories, you've peaked too soon - you were supposed to time the surge in the days immediately prior to election day. Now Labour have a chance to react.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937
    Looks about right. This is how it will probably turn out. Again UKIP much lower on a phone poll.
  • Options
    Hmmm. Maybe the Miliband in Sturgeon's pocket message is cutting through.

Or of course we could just be seeing some outliers.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,862
    Based on our poll, these are the seat projections by Prof Colin Rallings CON 287 LAB 274 SNP 54 LD 10 PC 3 UKIP 2

Tonights COMRES EICIPM???

Surely that cannot be right on those %
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,001
    Wait: so everyone else shows UKIP, LDs up. And this shows them down.

Consistent picture of a 4% Tory lead, mind.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    edited April 2015
    MikeL said:

Where is Survation?

I want to go back to working. They need to publish whatever it is quick.
  • Options
    compouter2compouter2 Posts: 2,371
    edited April 2015
    Basil looks for Yougov to give him a night without carrying the goalposts.
  • Options
    LDs defiantly refuse to consistently maintain double digits. Oh, they'll do fine, I'm sure.
  • Options
    Good timing....

Douglas Carswell ‏@DouglasCarswell·2h2 hours ago
    That's six polls in almost as many days showing UKIP on the up. How's the bubble's peak UKIP theory coming along?
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    In the last 30 polls only 5 times has a main party led by 4% or more. All 5 have been Tories.

Thats not reading runes. Thats spotting poll trends?
  • Options
    edited April 2015

Looks about right. This is how it will probably turn out. Again UKIP much lower on a phone poll.

Good timing....

That's six polls in almost as many days showing UKIP on the up. How's the bubble's peak UKIP theory coming along?

Shy Kippers.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

We may be starting to see the first chinks of light between the parties. Tories edging ahead.

YG will show nothing of course. It never does.

Panelbase and ComRes showing a 7% divergence in lead. Yougov will show a repeat.

Best to take it all with a stiff upper lip.

It was "Jonah" Brown wot dun it.
  • Options

That guardian front page will go down in history....

Are they still whining about the Tories being nasty to them?
  • Options
    franklynfranklyn Posts: 297
    Driving around Bedford, I have seen one UKIP and one Green poster, three for the Lib Dems (who normally win the poster war in town) and at least 60 each for Con and Labour. No idea what that means. By contrast didn't see a single poster in East London today
  • Options
    Will CON go 4% ahead on YouGuv?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930
    rcs1000 said:

Consistent picture of a 4% Tory lead, mind.

Well if comres are right, yesterday's Ukip target seats look bad for them

If everyone else is right, it's looking good
  • Options
    I think Survation have fainted at the sight of their poll.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,819
    It's ICM and ComRes Vs everybody else!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Has Tory Newton Dunn declared Game Changer yet?
  • Options
    edited April 2015

Hmmm. Maybe the Miliband in Sturgeon's pocket message is cutting through.

Or of course we could just be seeing some outliers.

Would be typical of this election for the outliers to just happen to occur across the pollsters around the same time.

Still much for the pessimistic Tory or Tory predictor. 4% isn't enough, not necessarily. But if it becomes the new normal, they will have something to encourage them besides blind hope at least.

Labour? No reason to panic yet, but they'll readying something big just in case its needed, I'm sure.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Ave_it said:

No because the same stale panel churn out the same result +- MOE. Best forget YG. I;m convinced onliners are a waste of everyones time.
  • Options
    Ave_it said:

I wouldn't be putting my mortgage on it!
  • Options
    Com res is the 10th poll of the week, from the 7th different pollster

SPUD after 10

Con -8
    Lab -9
    Ukip +6
    LD +2
    Green -2
  • Options
    franklynfranklyn Posts: 297
    How reliable are phone polls? In the last few years, as more of our landline phone calls to home are from scams many people are cynical about any form of unsolicited phone call. Do they tell us how many calls they have to make to get 1000 responses?
  • Options
    SaltireSaltire Posts: 525
    kle4 said:

LDs defiantly refuse to consistently maintain double digits. Oh, they'll do fine, I'm sure.

The 2nd tweet at the top of the page referring to 25% of Con/Lab voters would consider to vote for the Libdems is what they must hope will save them in the seats that they are defending. Otherwise sub 20 MPs beckons
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,945

Good timing....

Clearly a man of taste as he apparently reads PB.com. :-)
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,008
    surbiton said:

So SNP / PC are 9% ?

Summat is up with this OTHER figure. SNP+PC surely cannot be above 5 per cent. The BNP won 2 per cent, but anecdotally those people are now subsumed in Ukip or not voting. So the dribs and drabs might be on 2 per cent at a stretch.
  • Options
    asjohnstoneasjohnstone Posts: 1,276
    edited April 2015

Based on our poll, these are the seat projections by Prof Colin Rallings CON 287 LAB 274 SNP 54 LD 10 PC 3 UKIP 2

Labour would pick up seats in England on these numbers, so I don't see why not. SNP will back Ed regardless of the circumstances.

LD wipe out in Scotland takes away coalition MPs and add left bloc ones. Tory gains from LDs in England don't. 10 Lds seems very much on the low side though.

Ed governs on this kind of result. The arithmetic is solid
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Ave_it said:

Internet pollster with particularly peculiar Midlands/Wales results. So, no.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143

In the last 30 polls only 5 times has a main party led by 4% or more. All 5 have been Tories.

Thats not reading runes. Thats spotting poll trends?

And how many of those are phone polls?
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    franklyn said:

Driving around Bedford, I have seen one UKIP and one Green poster, three for the Lib Dems (who normally win the poster war in town) and at least 60 each for Con and Labour. No idea what that means. By contrast didn't see a single poster in East London today

It is hard to believe that there is a GE only 2 weeks away. I was in a marginal today and only saw a few signs and that was about it. No other activity.

I was in another key marginal over the weekend and I did actually see the candidates on the street, but it was a pretty piss poor show. Labour had like 3 people with a crappy table and a few leaflets and had gone within an hour, Lib Dem guy looked like he was going to cry with only one helper, the Green had 4-5 people jumping in the way of shoppers.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

Caution - remember Panelbase - effectively cancels out the Survation.

One ComRes with Con +4 is not decisive.

Panelbase might be nearer the mark, but they are unproven and they had Labour leading by 7% a couple of weeks ago.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    Still waiting for the next Survation
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    Number crunching in Electoral Calculus. Above plus Scotland SNP 47, Lab 26, Con 16 etc. gives

Con 304, Lab 266, LD 9, UKIP 0, Green 1, SNP 49, PC 3, NI 18

Con-LD 313. Lab-SNP-PC Green 319.

It really doesn't change much.
  • Options

Based on our poll, these are the seat projections by Prof Colin Rallings

Ed governs on this kind of result. The arithmetic is solid

For how long?
  • Options
    SMukeshSMukesh Posts: 1,650
    Scary time for Labour supporters but I think will revert a tie before polling day.

Ed needs to get on the airwaves and say strongly he won`t cut a deal with SNP.
  • Options
    edited April 2015

Someone might be refusing to publish.
  • Options
    franklyn said:

How reliable are phone polls?

Maybe not very but hell of a lot more than onliners who recycle the same old stale pool of unrepresentative self selectors.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Number crunching in Electoral Calculus. Above plus Scotland SNP 47, Lab 26, Con 16 etc. gives

Such is life. And FPTP.
  • Options
    Don't Survation know literally dozens of people around the web are waiting for this? Come on!
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,008
    edited April 2015
    Just got back from a trip to Edinburgh today, saw Ruth Davidson being interviewed outside the Art Gallery with a group of eager young Tories handing out leaflets and what looked like an active SNP office in West Edinburgh near to the LD campaign HQ. No sign of Labour in Scotland, but I did see some Labour posters from the train window in Carlisle and Crewe, make of that what you will.

Polling wise still a mixed picture, but if the Tories are on 36% with Comres then the squeeze in the UKIP vote with that poll down to 10% must be a factor, how big the kipper vote is will probably determine who gets most seats
  • Options

Labour far, far too high. There's no way they'll make 50 gains in E&W on 32% of the vote.

• Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    surbiton said:

Switch a dozen from Lab to LD and it is a shameless copy of Jacks ARSE.
  • Options
    NoEasyDayNoEasyDay Posts: 454
    If these polls are a result of the millipede dancing on Sturgeons strings, then the thing to remember is the full effect wont have worked its way through to the electorate. Yet....bigger bounce to come !
  • Options
    SMukesh said:

Scary time for Labour supporters but I think will revert a tie before polling day.

He can't be PM (crap or otherwise) without some sort of arrangement
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Don't Survation know literally dozens of people around the web are waiting for this? Come on!

https://twitter.com/DamianSurvation/status/591349612251914241
  • Options

Are there two tonight?
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    rcs1000 said:

This is normal range for ComRes/UKIP.

today 10%
    7 April 12%
    29 March 12%
    22 March 10%
    23 Feb 13%

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_2015_United_Kingdom_general_election#2015
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    franklyn said:

How reliable are phone polls? In the last few years, as more of our landline phone calls to home are from scams many people are cynical about any form of unsolicited phone call. Do they tell us how many calls they have to make to get 1000 responses?

Key question on which much of the polling industry is biting its nails. Yes how reliable are phone polls in a world of caller ID etc, but how self selecting and over engaged ( compared to the overall electorate) is the Internet? Careers are waiting on this I suspect.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    EPG said:

surbiton said:

So SNP / PC are 9% ?

Summat is up with this OTHER figure. SNP+PC surely cannot be above 5 per cent. The BNP won 2 per cent, but anecdotally those people are now subsumed in Ukip or not voting. So the dribs and drabs might be on 2 per cent at a stretch.
    SNP have been 5% on their own sometimes. Add a bit of rounding and it will all reconcile just fine.
  • Options
    Was chatting to somone in town yday saying just no clue whats gonna happen. Then I told them about 1992 which they didn't know. Ive got a hunch this is gonna be 1992 all over again. Its got that feel to it.
  • Options
    Belgium
  • Options

kle4 said:

This is the first polling company in history that keeps people waiting on purpose.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    It will be a South Thanet poll. Mark my words.
  • Options
    Many sitting Labour MPs in E&W are going to have larger majorities in two weeks. But that won't help Ed get to Number 10.
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

I said that on the last thread
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

This is normal range for ComRes/UKIP.

today 10%
    7 April 12%
    29 March 12%
    22 March 10%
    23 Feb 13%

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_2015_United_Kingdom_general_election#2015
    That poll at the bottom of the Wikipedia link has a big sample size! :lol:
  • Options
    @Richard_Tyndall,

Re Euro bank notes- Greece still has the plates for the old €20 note, but the new one is coming later this year, so I they'd struggle to make too much mischief with it.

That being said - and a question for all our pb lawyers and experts - if Country A started printing the banknotes of Country B, would that be considered an act of war?

(As an aside: I suspect that Greece will not (a) start printing Euro notes, and (b) not issue passports to all and sundry. The country is so dependent on tourism revenues from the EU, that even outside the Eurozone it needs to be "friends" with Europe. 18% of Greek GDP comes from tourism. That's a third of its private sector GDP. Without tourism Greece would be in the stone ages, and there aren't that many alternative sources of tourists outside the EU. Russian tourists can only pick up a small amount of the slack.)
  • Options
    Speedy said:

kle4 said:

This is the first polling company in history that keeps people waiting on purpose.
    I think they are beholden to their client, and remember some numpty broke a Survation embargo earlier on today.
  • Options

MP_SE said:

I said that on the last thread
    I rushed home at 9.30 so most probably missed that .
  • Options
    nigel4englandnigel4england Posts: 4,800
    SMukesh said:

Problem is no-one would believe him.
  • Options
    jahodgesjahodges Posts: 12

Has Tory Newton Dunn declared Game Changer yet?

usual pattern is he tweets something optimistic for tories 9 onwards then poll released at 10 if there's something such to tweet. If not poll comes out at 10.30. Maybe today it'll be different? ?...

• Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,981

Ave_it said:

No because the same stale panel churn out the same result +- MOE. Best forget YG. I;m convinced onliners are a waste of everyones time.
    Isn't Yougov a 2 day poll, today's poll is 50% yesterday's pollsters, 50% today's. Tomorrow is 50% today's, 50% tomorrow's. This removes rapid fluctuations but delays potential changes...
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,046
    With all these lists of MPs I'd have thought it would be good to categorise the Parties.

How about Tory, anti-Tory and non-aligned?

Currently are we looking at about 285 Tory, 317 anti-Tory, 40 non-aligned. That's a big gap still for Cameron to close. I'm not convinced you can just add DUP and Lib Dem and if it makes 324 he'll be fine. The Lb Dems might be forced into an anti-Tory alliance in that scenario.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited April 2015

Many sitting Labour MPs in E&W are going to have larger majorities in two weeks. But that won't help Ed get to Number 10.

I think there's going to be a huge divergence in Labour's performance between metropolitan areas and everywhere else (in England & Wales).
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    isam said:

SPUD after 10

Con -8
    Lab -9
    Ukip +6
    LD +2
    Green -2

Thanks for quoting the number of pollsters! Appreciate that.
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    Survation says Nigel home and dry!
  • Options
    Dear God I am so sorry

I updated SPUD incorrectly

After the COMRES poll, the 10th of the week from the 7th different pollster

Con -8
    Lab -9
    UKIP +7
    LD NC
    Green -2

If the conservatives can improve on yesterday's YOUGOV they will have achieved their best Daily SPUD ever by standing still
  • Options
    SMukesh said:

But nobody is going to believe him
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

I think there's going to be a huge divergence in Labour's performance between metropolitan areas and everywhere else (in England & Wales).

It'll be the Midlands that really does for Labour.

• Options
    edited April 2015

kle4 said:

htps://twitter.com/DamianSurvation/status/591349612251914241
    Heh.

"It is largely as I predicted, except the Silly Party won".

I can see a fair few pundits saying basically the same thing in a few weeks.

Rest assured all, though I might alter my prediction if we see a 4 or more point gap confirmed by more polling in the coming weeks, I for one will not pretend I had predicted that new prediction all along.
  • Options
    eek said:

Ave_it said:

Isn't Yougov a 2 day poll, today's poll is 50% yesterday's pollsters, 50% today's. Tomorrow is 50% today's, 50% tomorrow's. This removes rapid fluctuations but delays potential changes...
    Thought they abandoned that rolling malarkey last year?
  • Options
    Farage 9% in front
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Why are there two Survations on the same day? Is there any precedence for that?
  • Options
    isam said:

Dear God I am so sorry

I updated SPUD incorrectly

After the COMRES poll, the 10th of the week from the 7th different pollster

Con -8
    Lab -9
    UKIP +7
    LD NC
    Green -2

If the conservatives can improve on yesterday's YOUGOV they will have achieved their best Daily SPUD ever by standing still

That adds up to a very negative number.
    SNP +12???
  • Options

isam said:

SPUD after 10

Con -8
    Lab -9
    Ukip +6
    LD +2
    Green -2

Thanks for quoting the number of pollsters! Appreciate that.
    No prob but the figures were wrong for Ukip and LD

I've reported and corrected

Any improvements you think of let me know, am open minded
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    Guido Fawkes ‏@GuidoFawkes · 58 secs58 seconds ago  London, England
    Hearing Survation poll in Thanet South giving 9% lead for @Nigel_Farage . Checking.

• Options
    isam - my Con +6.5% not looking good in S Thanet
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,008
    FB The LDs have made clear they will back the largest party, if they back a Labour government which came second on seats and votes they will lose the few remaining seats they will hold in England and Wales to go along with the loss of almost all their Scottish seats in May
This discussion has been closed.