Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Marf’s summation as the big day gets closer

Comments

• Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,314
    edited April 2015
    Alistair said:

Well the Edinburgh North and LEith news is nice.

Pleasantly surprised by that as the SNP have so far been invisible in what's my mum's constituency. 4 SLab leaflets/posters and one of those nutjob Unionist ones, plus at least 2 SLab canvasses; I even got to shake Lazarowizc's hand last week (I actually think he's one of the more decent comrades).
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,014
    edited April 2015
    Here's a thought...

Last week after the BBC debate, it was said on here that Cameron and Clegg had secured a great deal by getting half hour interviews with Emily Maitlis immediately afterwards.. this turned out to be nonsense as the interviews didn't happen, and obv the people that made the claims are pretending they didn't..

But by that token, if the QT style thing does turn into a debate between Clegg, Cameron and Miliband, would it be seen on here as a major coup for Farage to have the "Audience with..." immediately afterwards, as he actually is in real life rather than a figment of a party supporters imagination?
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    felix said:

Speedy said:

felix said:

Speedy said:

MikeL said:

If Jack W's intelligence from the senior Con source is right then in my view Cameron absolutely should not go for a head to head debate with Miliband.

20 losses to Lab
    6 gains from LD in the bag
    10 further gains from LD too close to call

Assume they get half of the too close to call.

That means a net loss of 9 seats + Clacton = 10 seats down on 2010

Which gives them 297 inc Speaker.

That is enough for Cameron to remain PM. And the intelligence suggests continued seepage back from UKIP which should help at the margin.

If I was Cameron I would hold my nerve. Plus the debate with Miliband has risk attached - not just in itself but the media will play it up as Cameron panicking.

There are 10 CON seats that are Labour targets in London only and all but Enfield Southgate seems to be a hit for Labour based on the constituency polls, so that leaves just 11 more gains for Labour somewhere in the 500 seats ex-London&Scotland for the "senior conservative source" to be accurate.

Again, partisan anecdotal evidence is not the best kind when you disagree with opinion polls.
    I've seen no London poll which gives 10 Labour gains from the Tories.

're the SON seems like Labour are seriously rattled. :)
    So you haven't?
    Perfect, let me start with some fresh Ashcroft polls:

Finchley, Tory Majority 12.3%:

LAB 43
    CON 41
    LD 6
    UKIP 6
    GRN 4

Swing 7% to LAB

Harrow E, Tory Majority 7.1%:

LAB 43
    CON 39
    UKIP 9
    LD 6
    GRN 2

Swing 5.5% to LAB

Here are some not so fresh LordA polls:

Ealing Central, Tory Maj. 7.9%:

LAB 40
    CON 34
    LD 11
    GRN 7
    UKIP 6

Swing 7% to LAB

Croydon Central, Tory Maj, 5.8%:

LAB 41
    CON 37
    UKIP 13
    GRN 5
    LD 3

Swing 5% to LAB

And I have another 4 polls of Enfield N, Brentford, Hendon, and Uxbridge, but don't have enough space here.
    All showing large Labour swings and all but Uxbridge (which is not a Labour target) going red.
    With those kings of swings only Enfield Southgate will be a Labour miss from their target list in London.

I see 8 in Labour talk really means 9, maybe. London will be good for Labour, but not enough. Otherwise they wouldn't be in such a panic over Scotland.
    Even if Labour loses 40 seats in Scotland, a big IF, Labour only needs to win 20 in E&W in terms of plurality with Tories. In fact, the SNP knocking the Lib DEms is helping Labour against the coalition.

Who is favourite to be PM Now ?
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763
    surbiton said:

felix said:

Speedy said:

felix said:

Speedy said:

MikeL said:

If Jack W's intelligence from the senior Con source is right then in my view Cameron absolutely should not go for a head to head debate with Miliband.

20 losses to Lab

That is enough for Cameron to remain PM. And the intelligence suggests continued seepage back from UKIP which should help at the margin.

If I was Cameron I would hold my nerve. Plus the debate with Miliband has risk attached - not just in itself but the media will play it up as Cameron panicking.

There are 10 CON seats that are Labour targets in London only and all but Enfield Southgate seems to be a hit for Labour based on the constituency polls, so that leaves just 11 more gains for Labour somewhere in the 500 seats ex-London&Scotland for the "senior conservative source" to be accurate.

Again, partisan anecdotal evidence is not the best kind when you disagree with opinion polls.

So you haven't?

LAB 43
    CON 41
    LD 6
    UKIP 6
    GRN 4

Swing 7% to LAB

LAB 43
    CON 39
    UKIP 9
    LD 6
    GRN 2

Swing 5.5% to LAB

LAB 40
    CON 34
    LD 11
    GRN 7
    UKIP 6

Swing 7% to LAB

LAB 41
    CON 37
    UKIP 13
    GRN 5
    LD 3

Swing 5% to LAB

And I have another 4 polls of Enfield N, Brentford, Hendon, and Uxbridge, but don't have enough space here.
    All showing large Labour swings and all but Uxbridge (which is not a Labour target) going red.
    With those kings of swings only Enfield Southgate will be a Labour miss from their target list in London.

I see 8 in Labour talk really means 9, maybe. London will be good for Labour, but not enough. Otherwise they wouldn't be in such a panic over Scotland.
    Even if Labour loses 40 seats in Scotland, a big IF, Labour only needs to win 20 in E&W in terms of plurality with Tories. In fact, the SNP knocking the Lib DEms is helping Labour against the coalition.

Of course it's a big IF, most pollsters have them on for losing 50
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    scotslass said:

John_N

Please, please take a positon on Betfair for the Libs in Gordon. Then I shall very gladly take your money. On Saturday I was part of my first ever political canvass since I was a student. I spent the time with some nice young students from Aberdeen University. We were canvassing Inverurie with a survey card which allowed people to tick the appropriate box and their second preferences.

On our canvass Salmond is running at 55 per cent in that town which is the heart of the Gordon constituency. The rest were pretty close together with the Tories marginally ahead of the Liberals. Most Liberals indeed have the Tory as second preference. But most Tories would give NO second preference. Just about all Labour actually have Salmond as their second preference!

In any case at that sort of level it won't matter even if the rest can combine. That is why John N you should go ahead, put your money down and make my day.

Well, I'll be jiggered .... SNP canvass returns show Alex Salmond at almost North Korean levels of support ....

SNP GAIN Pyongyang North and the Borders .... who'd have thought it ?!?

• Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    edited April 2015
    felix said:

Speedy said:

felix said:

Speedy said:

MikeL said:

20 losses to Lab

So you haven't?

LAB 43
    CON 41
    LD 6
    UKIP 6
    GRN 4

Swing 7% to LAB

LAB 43
    CON 39
    UKIP 9
    LD 6
    GRN 2

Swing 5.5% to LAB

LAB 40
    CON 34
    LD 11
    GRN 7
    UKIP 6

Swing 7% to LAB

LAB 41
    CON 37
    UKIP 13
    GRN 5
    LD 3

Swing 5% to LAB

Battersea and Illford N haven't been polled, but that is on the same order of majority as Finchley or slightly less, if the swings are the same as all the others they become red.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

felix said:

Speedy said:

MikeL said:

20 losses to Lab

So you haven't?

All showing large Labour swings
    You may very well be right but who is this Ashcroft? I don't recall them polling in 2010, 2005, 2001, 1997 or indeed any previous General Election. Are they the rebirth of BPIX who also shone briefly before vanishing into vapour. A google shows one 'Lord Ashcroft' who polled at Heywood and Middleton but it obviously could not be the same as he was wrong by a whopping 17%. A constituency pollster one would indeed be cautious of following were it him.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,005
    Speedy said:

felix said:

Speedy said:

felix said:

Speedy said:

MikeL said:

20 losses to Lab

So you haven't?

LAB 43
    CON 41
    LD 6
    UKIP 6
    GRN 4

Swing 7% to LAB

LAB 43
    CON 39
    UKIP 9
    LD 6
    GRN 2

Swing 5.5% to LAB

LAB 40
    CON 34
    LD 11
    GRN 7
    UKIP 6

Swing 7% to LAB

LAB 41
    CON 37
    UKIP 13
    GRN 5
    LD 3

Swing 5% to LAB

Battersea and Illford N haven't been polled, but that is on the same order of majority as Finchley or slightly less, if the swings are the same as all the others they become red.
    Ilford North Labour, Battersea Tory ta very much.
  • Options
    SMukeshSMukesh Posts: 1,650

surbiton said:

felix said:

Speedy said:

felix said:

Speedy said:

MikeL said:

20 losses to Lab

So you haven't?

LAB 43
    CON 41
    LD 6
    UKIP 6
    GRN 4

Swing 7% to LAB

LAB 43
    CON 39
    UKIP 9
    LD 6
    GRN 2

Swing 5.5% to LAB

LAB 40
    CON 34
    LD 11
    GRN 7
    UKIP 6

Swing 7% to LAB

LAB 41
    CON 37
    UKIP 13
    GRN 5
    LD 3

Swing 5% to LAB

Without my sense of humour,I would have thought you were serious :-)
  • Options
    surbiton said:

felix said:

Speedy said:

felix said:

Speedy said:

MikeL said:

20 losses to Lab

So you haven't?

LAB 43
    CON 41
    LD 6
    UKIP 6
    GRN 4

Swing 7% to LAB

LAB 43
    CON 39
    UKIP 9
    LD 6
    GRN 2

Swing 5.5% to LAB

LAB 40
    CON 34
    LD 11
    GRN 7
    UKIP 6

Swing 7% to LAB

LAB 41
    CON 37
    UKIP 13
    GRN 5
    LD 3

Swing 5% to LAB

Lol. That would be Lab on 238 seats and the Tories on 286 seats in that scenario.

What is it with Labour and numbers.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    surbiton said:

felix said:

Speedy said:

felix said:

Speedy said:

MikeL said:

20 losses to Lab

So you haven't?

LAB 43
    CON 41
    LD 6
    UKIP 6
    GRN 4

Swing 7% to LAB

LAB 43
    CON 39
    UKIP 9
    LD 6
    GRN 2

Swing 5.5% to LAB

LAB 40
    CON 34
    LD 11
    GRN 7
    UKIP 6

Swing 7% to LAB

LAB 41
    CON 37
    UKIP 13
    GRN 5
    LD 3

Swing 5% to LAB

surbiton • Posts: 4,477

April 19 • edited April 19

This is what I think will happen:

Con 295
    Lab 265
    SNP 50
    LD 18
    PC 3
    UKIP 1

Cameron according to you.
  • Options

Speedy said:

felix said:

Speedy said:

MikeL said:

20 losses to Lab

So you haven't?

You may very well be right but who is this Ashcroft? I don't recall them polling in 2010, 2005, 2001, 1997 or indeed any previous General Election. Are they the rebirth of BPIX who also shone briefly before vanishing into vapour. A google shows one 'Lord Ashcroft' who polled at Heywood and Middleton but it obviously could not be the same as he was wrong by a whopping 17%. A constituency pollster one would indeed be cautious of following were it him.
    Can please someone explain to him who "is this Ashcroft" ?
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,686

@TSEofPB: Why I love Ruth Davidson. http://t.co/fBL2oz3Sbt

I think she's terrific. I hope she gets into Westminster as an MP one day.
  • Options
    JohntheTipJohntheTip Posts: 24
    edited April 2015
    felix said:

Speedy said:

felix said:

Speedy said:

MikeL said:

20 losses to Lab

So you haven't?

UKIP 13
    GRN 5
    LD 3

Swing 5% to LAB

That I think is sound advice. Labour may pick up a handful in London at best, probably 4 or 5. They will be scrapping elsewhere in England for as much as they can.

The Liberal Democrat wipeout makes this talk of 'plurality' seem terribly simplistic. As I mentioned yesterday, the EW Con to Lab UNS is an incredibly blunt, and simpletons, tool. It reminds me of the old Peter Snow Swingometer days and of little real value. Regional variations are going to be complex but vital. To remind you:

LibDem wipeout in South West to Conservatives
    Labour swings in West Midlands and urban north
    UKIP in traditional Labour, East Anglia and south-east
    London Labour
    SNP Scotland

These all render talk of 'xx% Con to Lab E&W swing' the sort of thing we'd expect at primary school rather than degree level political analysis.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,187
    I think Lord Forsyth sensibly makes the point that Labour are being devoured by the nationalist dragon they created by saying the Tories had no mandate in Scotland.
    Longer term though the two parties will have to cooperate at Holyrood elections at least to deny the SNP a majority.

Also, saw Caroline Flint at Marks and Spencers at Paddington Station today, obviously buying provisions before heading back to the campaign
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,078
    As much as I think Labour are going to win, you'd think I'd remember Ed's interview was tonight., but no. I thought Clegg and Cameron both came across pretty well, I should imagine Ed will do the same. But I shall see.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Special Post for 2016 US Presidential Hillary coronation ceremony, @HYUFD.

Right now the state of the campaign is like this:

http://thedailyshow.cc.com/videos/ayt6ed/had-mex---marcnado

The media are having a fit, down to CNN having a 3D virtual reality presentation of Hillary's burrito and poor Rubio ignored by everyone.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,924

SeanT said:

Been out all day in Torbay. Beautiful sunny day - getting as brown as a berry.

The SNP are proving the Tories best recruiting sergeant. By a country mile. Spent the day canvassing previously identified waverers. The number of people who raised "that Nicola Sturgeon" unprompted was startling.

Blue nosepegs being re-ordered in bulk....

Same vibe I'm getting. Labour have to deal with this. But how?

If I were Miliband I'd say that "I would never do a deal with the SNP under any circumstances, nor rely on them for any votes to sustain my government."

In other words, I'd lie.
    The narrative today has completely changed the GE and there is absolutely nothing Ed Miliband or labour can say or do (other than saying I agree with Nicola). The irony is that the wall to wall media coverage has created this story and all David Cameron and the conservatives needs t do is to pick up the narrative and make huge political gains out of it in RUK
    I think you might be completely misunderstanding how the idea of a Labour/SNP Coalition will play with left of centre voters. It might be a vote loser in Torbay, as Marquee Mark has reported, but I wouldn't draw many general conclusions based on that. In a nutshell it doesn't really matter what Tory inclined voters think of the idea.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,686

Speedy said:

felix said:

Speedy said:

MikeL said:

20 losses to Lab

So you haven't?

Welcome to pb.com. But your tips aren't going to be followed for very long if you don't even know who Lord Ashcroft is!
  • Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012
    surbiton said:

felix said:

Speedy said:

felix said:

Speedy said:

MikeL said:

20 losses to Lab

So you haven't?

LAB 43
    CON 41
    LD 6
    UKIP 6
    GRN 4

Swing 7% to LAB

LAB 43
    CON 39
    UKIP 9
    LD 6
    GRN 2

Swing 5.5% to LAB

LAB 40
    CON 34
    LD 11
    GRN 7
    UKIP 6

Swing 7% to LAB

LAB 41
    CON 37
    UKIP 13
    GRN 5
    LD 3

Swing 5% to LAB

258 - 40 +20 is 238
    304 -20 is 284

I'm guessing that the favourite to be PM is the leader of the party with most seats. Your sums do not work out. I think the election has barely started so there is still time for everybody, not least Labour in Scotland.
  • Options

surbiton said:

felix said:

Speedy said:

felix said:

Speedy said:

MikeL said:

20 losses to Lab

So you haven't?

LAB 43
    CON 41
    LD 6
    UKIP 6
    GRN 4

Swing 7% to LAB

LAB 43
    CON 39
    UKIP 9
    LD 6
    GRN 2

Swing 5.5% to LAB

LAB 40
    CON 34
    LD 11
    GRN 7
    UKIP 6

Swing 7% to LAB

LAB 41
    CON 37
    UKIP 13
    GRN 5
    LD 3

Swing 5% to LAB

Con 295
    Lab 265
    SNP 50
    LD 18
    PC 3
    UKIP 1

No. LD will join no coalition after getting hammered thanks to going to bed with the Tories. Cameron can suck his thumb with 295 seats.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,899
    Evening all :)

Well, after today's polls, file me under "none the wiser". I am pleased to see a small uptick in LD fortunes - the sunlit uplands of double figures heaves into view it would seem.

The ICM Conservative figure was the outlier most of us expected - the Ashcroft Labour number looks on the low side but I wouldn't argue with those who claim a tiny Conservative lead at this stage.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    surbiton said:

surbiton said:

felix said:

Speedy said:

felix said:

Speedy said:

MikeL said:

20 losses to Lab

seriously rattled. :)

in London.

Con 295
    Lab 265
    SNP 50
    LD 18
    PC 3
    UKIP 1

No. LD will join no coalition after getting hammered thanks to going to bed with the Tories. Cameron can suck his thumb with 295 seats.
    You think a party that has sold its soul once would not do so again and again for the chance of bottoms in high office? You really don't know the Liberal Democrats then, do you?

Fortunately I doubt they will have the chance as they are going to face a slaughter so the mathematics are unlikely to be in their favour.
  • Options
    I think I have finally got to the bottom of the SNP strategy.

Every man and his dog knows they are not interested in influencing UK politics as a whole and that they are essentially a single purpose outfit - that purpose being an independent Scotland.

They will never achieve a YES vote with a Labour government in Westminster - I am pretty sure they wouldn't even push for another Indy Ref in such a scenario.

By love bombing Labour in so much as supporting most of their core economic manifesto promises, but actually in some cases going a bit further to the left, they themselves are trying to spook the English electorate into returning a Tory government that they cynically claim to despise.

Only then with almost complete representation in Westminster for Scotland and a totally dominant Holyrood in 2016, will they be able to execute their plan.

If the short game fails and they do end up supporting Labour, they will operate a black ops campaign against them, supporting them publicly but undermining them quietly outside of the public eye. Salmond, love him or hate him, is a very canny operator and you can bet that he will expose any weakness in Miliband during the course of the parliamentary term.

The last thing the SNP want is, despite a likely S&C arrangement, is for that government to be successful and get itself elected again in 2020.

All of which is potentially damaging for the long terms needs of the country and probably catastrophic for the long term future of the Labour party.
  • Options
    I doubt if any PBer is mug enough to be able to get on with Sportingbet, but the 5/6 over 2.5 UKIP seats is such a bad price it might be a palpable error
  • Options
    JEOJEO Posts: 3,656
    Channel 4 news is reporting that some of the big sources of 'refugees' crossing the Mediterranean are Eritrea, Gambia and Senegal. There are not even wars in these places, showing that it is more about economic migration than persecution.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    I think the chances of a Labour majority are pretty much zero. They're going to lose at least 20 seats in Scotland and they're not going to make more than 60 gains elsewhere. Therefore their maximum number of seats is around 300.
  • Options
    OllyT said:

SeanT said:

Been out all day in Torbay. Beautiful sunny day - getting as brown as a berry.

The SNP are proving the Tories best recruiting sergeant. By a country mile. Spent the day canvassing previously identified waverers. The number of people who raised "that Nicola Sturgeon" unprompted was startling.

Blue nosepegs being re-ordered in bulk....

Same vibe I'm getting. Labour have to deal with this. But how?

If I were Miliband I'd say that "I would never do a deal with the SNP under any circumstances, nor rely on them for any votes to sustain my government."

In other words, I'd lie.
    The narrative today has completely changed the GE and there is absolutely nothing Ed Miliband or labour can say or do (other than saying I agree with Nicola). The irony is that the wall to wall media coverage has created this story and all David Cameron and the conservatives needs t do is to pick up the narrative and make huge political gains out of it in RUK
    I think you might be completely misunderstanding how the idea of a Labour/SNP Coalition will play with left of centre voters. It might be a vote loser in Torbay, as Marquee Mark has reported, but I wouldn't draw many general conclusions based on that. In a nutshell it doesn't really matter what Tory inclined voters think of the idea.
    It may well build up votes in left leanings areas but most of these are already held by labour but the issue in this election is the large number of marginal seats in the Midlands and the North West which by any measure are not hard left
  • Options
    Ed surprisingly petulant at the start of his interview - It seems he reacts better to the Paxman aggressively rude interrupting style, than Davis' gentler prodding interrupting style, whereas Cameron was the opposite.

He also seems to be suggesting that quoting facts and figures doesn't reflect reality. I'll bet he changes his tune on that when it comes time to defend his record in government.
  • Options

surbiton said:

felix said:

Speedy said:

felix said:

Speedy said:

MikeL said:

20 losses to Lab

So you haven't?

LAB 43
    CON 41
    LD 6
    UKIP 6
    GRN 4

Swing 7% to LAB

LAB 43
    CON 39
    UKIP 9
    LD 6
    GRN 2

Swing 5.5% to LAB

LAB 40
    CON 34
    LD 11
    GRN 7
    UKIP 6

Swing 7% to LAB

LAB 41
    CON 37
    UKIP 13
    GRN 5
    LD 3

Swing 5% to LAB

258 - 40 +20 is 238
    304 -20 is 284

I'm guessing that the favourite to be PM is the leader of the party with most seats. Your sums do not work out. I think the election has barely started so there is still time for everybody, not least Labour in Scotland.
    Exactly. The difference remains the same. 46. Why are you so dim ?

I did not say Labour will win 20 seats from the Tories. Labour only needs to win 20 to make up for the 40 being lost, a big IF.

In reality, Labour will lose about 35 in Scotland [ still a bad loss ] but win 40 - 45 in England and Wales.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

I think the chances of a Labour majority are pretty much zero. They're going to lose at least 20 seats in Scotland and they're not going to make more than 60 gains elsewhere. Therefore their maximum number of seats is around 300.

Con Aberconwy 4-9, Lab target 326.
  • Options

Speedy said:

felix said:

Speedy said:

MikeL said:

20 losses to Lab

So you haven't?

Welcome to pb.com. But your tips aren't going to be followed for very long if you don't even know who Lord Ashcroft is!
    Ah, and there was me thinking that perhaps, just perhaps, I was being sarcastic.
  • Options
    Speedy Yes, the US comedians are already warming up
  • Options
    Which is worse: egotistical presenters/interviewers not allowing the politician answer a question properly, or politicians demanding to be allowed to answer the question, but not doing so even when they have the opportunity, and insisting they have answered it?
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,048

felix said:

That I think is sound advice. Labour may pick up a handful in London at best, probably 4 or 5. They will be scrapping elsewhere in England for as much as they can.

The Liberal Democrat wipeout makes this talk of 'plurality' seem terribly simplistic. As I mentioned yesterday, the EW Con to Lab UNS is an incredibly blunt, and simpletons, tool. It reminds me of the old Peter Snow Swingometer days and of little real value. Regional variations are going to be complex but vital. To remind you:

London Labour
    SNP Scotland

These all render talk of 'xx% Con to Lab E&W swing' the sort of thing we'd expect at primary school rather than degree level political analysis.
    So Lab lose 35 in Scotland, gain 4 in London, scrapping for about 10 in the rest of the country, leaving them on about 235 seats. LDs wiped out leaving them on - what - 15 seats. SNP 50, others 25, giving the Conservatives 325 seats. I dare say that will be a popular line of argument in this parish!
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,631

surbiton said:

felix said:

Speedy said:

felix said:

Speedy said:

MikeL said:

20 losses to Lab

So you haven't?

LAB 43
    CON 41
    LD 6
    UKIP 6
    GRN 4

Swing 7% to LAB

LAB 43
    CON 39
    UKIP 9
    LD 6
    GRN 2

Swing 5.5% to LAB

LAB 40
    CON 34
    LD 11
    GRN 7
    UKIP 6

Swing 7% to LAB

LAB 41
    CON 37
    UKIP 13
    GRN 5
    LD 3

Swing 5% to LAB

They re going to lose 4 more seats than they hold, SLAB on -4 MPs next time. :O
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Speedy said:

felix said:

Speedy said:

MikeL said:

20 losses to Lab

So you haven't?

Can please someone explain to him who "is this Ashcroft" ?
    I refer the gentleman to the answer I gave some moments ago.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

JEO said:

Surely the rest of the world will be looking on in astonishment at a British Prime minister becoming a cheerleader for Scottish separatists. Why doesn't Miliband point this out? The Tories are no longer a party of Britain. Since the Tories can no longer have Britain they've decided to try and wreck it. Might not be 100% accurate but Labour need to come out fighting.

And when will someone in the media challenge Cameron. The Tories claim that Britain's nuclear deterrant is under threat if Labour get into power because of the SNP. But it wouldn't be if the Tories guaranteed to support it. Why should Cameron have to answer questions about hypotheticals in hung parliaments you ask? Well he's throwing them around so why not?

Where and when has David Cameron been a cheerleader for Scottish separtists?
    Lord Forsyth thinks so, and he should know.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/apr/20/tories-playing-dangerous-game-scotland-lord-forsyth
    LOL this is the guy PB Nats have been saying always gets Scotland wrong.

and now suddenly he has statesmanlike insight.

chortle etc.
    Alan, I think your irony meter is malfunctioning
    Your meter is running backwards.
    Cameron clearly said the other day that on Marr that he thought the SNP were dangerous.
    Ch 4 News reported
    ''The main thrust of Mr Cameron’s interview was an attack on the SNP: “these people,” he said contemptuously, “who don’t care what happens to the rest of the UK” will be dictating life in England if they are propping up a Labour minority government. Andrew Marr said the PM was beginning to sound like an English Nationalist, which went down pretty badly.''

This is hardly cheerleading.
  • Options
    Greenwich_FloaterGreenwich_Floater Posts: 389
    edited April 2015
    stodge said:

Evening all :)

Well, after today's polls, file me under "none the wiser". I am pleased to see a small uptick in LD fortunes - the sunlit uplands of double figures heaves into view it would seem.

The ICM Conservative figure was the outlier most of us expected - the Ashcroft Labour number looks on the low side but I wouldn't argue with those who claim a tiny Conservative lead at this stage.

Looking at the long term polling trends, I am tempted to dismiss Populus and You Gov polls. They have just been static for too long now. I would say the same if they were consistently showing the tories just ahead but not moving.

All of the other pollsters have shown a degree of movement, either random or a reaction to events, a far more believable scenario.

I think Populus and You Gov have serious issues which their panels and can't seem to find a way to deal with it.

If one of both of them gets close to the actual result, I will take all this back. We are not even getting the odd outlier from them like we were a couple of months ago.

Tories probably do have a small lead (1-2%), but it all could change either direction. If it does, I for one, will not be looking for any trends for those Pollsters however.

PS - I think LD and UKIP will poll roughly the same on 7 May and that will be 10-11%
  • Options
    JEO said:

Channel 4 news is reporting that some of the big sources of 'refugees' crossing the Mediterranean are Eritrea, Gambia and Senegal. There are not even wars in these places, showing that it is more about economic migration than persecution.

Some of these are very repressive countries. There is plenty of persecution. But this belies the massive numbers coming from Libya (war), Darfur (war), etc.
  • Options
    Weird lines from Ed about not appointing his Cabinet now - what's a shadow cabinet if not that (in general at least), particularly if you are going to say you have a great team?
  • Options
    Is there a prize for the best Audrey Anne impression?
  • Options
    EPG said:

felix said:

London Labour
    SNP Scotland

So Lab lose 35 in Scotland, gain 4 in London, scrapping for about 10 in the rest of the country, leaving them on about 235 seats. LDs wiped out leaving them on - what - 15 seats. SNP 50, others 25, giving the Conservatives 325 seats. I dare say that will be a popular line of argument in this parish!
    I was about to post up a prediction but that is remarkably close to what I suspect may happen.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

AndyJS said:

On the other hand Ashcroft has swings to the Tories in Kingswood and NE Somerset and the LDs holding Cambridge by 9 points.
  • Options
    Absolute lie about not addressing hypotheticals. Can't some spinner come up with a better line than pretending leaders don't do that? Without falling back on the godsdamned 'old fashioned view' about waiting for the people to decide at the GE?
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    HYUFD said:

SNL have been hilarious on Hillary. I expect them also to rip the GOP field mercilessly. Plenty of canon fodder all around.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,456
    EPG said:

felix said:

London Labour
    SNP Scotland

EICIPM punters: hold your nerve.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Pulpstar said:

AndyJS said:

On the other hand Ashcroft has swings to the Tories in Kingswood and NE Somerset and the LDs holding Cambridge by 9 points.
    I'm all over the Mogg and Huppert like a rash tbh.
  • Options

EPG said:

felix said:

London Labour
    SNP Scotland

Dave is majority prime minister (DIM PM)
  • Options
    MTimT said:

HYUFD said:

SNL have been hilarious on Hillary. I expect them also to rip the GOP field mercilessly. Plenty of canon fodder all around.
    Well they better warm up, she is only 58% ahead in the DEM primary and 15% ahead from the republicans in the latest poll.

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2015/images/04/20/cnnorc2016poll04202015.pdf
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    I think we may see something like this. None of us know but my best guestimate at this stage is the following:

Conservative 310 to 340
    Labour 240-ish
    SNP 40+
    LibDem 12
    Ukip 1 to 2. Reckless will lose, Carswell will win. It's just a question of whether Farage will. On balance 'yes' but he's made a lot of enemies so he may not.
  • Options
    FalseFlagFalseFlag Posts: 1,801
    JEO said:

It's all economic migration. Scary fact is Africa's population is supposed to rise to 4bn this century.
  • Options

EPG said:

felix said:

London Labour
    SNP Scotland

Labour gain 4 in London ? Have you ever been to London ? 9 mate, possibly 10 or even 11.
  • Options
    Robert Hutton (@RobDotHutton)
    20/04/2015 19:04
    Exclusive: Don't Mention The Manifesto! Conservatives go quiet about flagship policy bloom.bg/1Jn2ixO pic.twitter.com/9fZyWTfqIn
  • Options
    Matthew Goodwin (@GoodwinMJ)
    20/04/2015 19:40
    Came home to Conservative leaflet. Fear, negativity, blah. Totally uninspiring -> pic.twitter.com/yCwWmocLdZ
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,062
    The only way the SNP could stop a Labour government renewing Trident is if the Tories support them. Miliband should point this out again and again.

Labour will have close to 300 MPs. The SNP would have no more than 60. The only way they could obstruct Labour is if the Tories support them.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

Speedy said:

felix said:

Speedy said:

MikeL said:

20 losses to Lab

So you haven't?

Ah, and there was me thinking that perhaps, just perhaps, I was being sarcastic.

I wondered if you were trying to be sarcastic, but it never works well on the web - you cannot inject the correct tone of voice.

• Options

I think we may see something like this. None of us know but my best guestimate at this stage is the following:

Conservative 310 to 340
    Labour 240-ish
    SNP 40+
    LibDem 12
    Ukip 1 to 2. Reckless will lose, Carswell will win. It's just a question of whether Farage will. On balance 'yes' but he's made a lot of enemies so he may not.

How much did we have on that LD UKIP seats bet?
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    Saw a bumper sticker today, quite a big one.

I don't watch soccer - If I wanted to see people try desperately for 90 minutes to score, I'd take my friends to a bar
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    isam said:

Charlie Chaplin once entered a Charlie Chaplin lookalike contest and came third.
  • Options
    edited April 2015

The only way the SNP could stop a Labour government renewing Trident is if the Tories support them. Miliband should point this out again and again.

Labour will have close to 300 MPs. The SNP would have no more than 60. The only way they could obstruct Labour is if the Tories support them.

60 bit optimistic for SNP...

300 optimistic for Labour tbh.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Which is worse: egotistical presenters/interviewers not allowing the politician answer a question properly, or politicians demanding to be allowed to answer the question, but not doing so even when they have the opportunity, and insisting they have answered it?

Although he is seen as past his sell-by: personally I like the Paxman approach. It partly consists of curve ball questions that it is just possible to imagine have not been game-played by a leader's team of SpAds and courtiers, e.g. "how many foodbanks?" as an opener. No other interviewer would have the nerve.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Alastair Campbell ✔ @campbellclaret

As I remember from Dunblane Michael Forsyth is decent honourable man/politics I disagree with but values I respect cf @David_Cameron

• Options
    surbiton said:

EPG said:

felix said:

London Labour
    SNP Scotland

Labour gain 4 in London ? Have you ever been to London ? 9 mate, possibly 10 or even 11.
    I'm in London and it's terribly split. Some parts are going very Labour but they're not really the parts they most need the boost. Other parts are bucking the trend, or rather continuing the pro blue one they began a decade ago e.g. Battersea area. One big factor is the LibDem demise especially in the western sectors.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Pulpstar said:

Alistair said:

Well the Edinburgh North and LEith news is nice.

Certainly is, I should stop worrying about the Edi East bet too :D
    Interesting part of the Edinburgh polling is how the LD vote has converted almost wholesale to SNP vote.
  • Options
    isam said:

Matthew Goodwin (@GoodwinMJ)
    20/04/2015 19:40
    Came home to Conservative leaflet. Fear, negativity, blah. Totally uninspiring -> pic.twitter.com/yCwWmocLdZ

So essentially it says don't vote Clegg (they use his picture on the leaflet of doom).
    Has TSE seen that?
  • Options
    Speedy/TimT Yes the true pros will rip them all
  • Options
    edited April 2015

As I remember from Dunblane Michael Forsyth is decent honourable man/politics I disagree with but values I respect cf @David_Cameron

Well I'm sure Mr Forsyth will be heartened by the support of such a decent honourable man as Alastair Campbell.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    antifrank said:

isam said:

Charlie Chaplin once entered a Charlie Chaplin lookalike contest and came third.

A myth.

• Options
    isam said:

Conservative 310 to 340
    Labour 240-ish
    SNP 40+
    LibDem 12

I don't know but care to explain? I'm up for a bet. What's the offering?
  • Options

SeanT said:

I think Jim is close to squeaming and squeaming...

Jim Murphy‏@JimForScotland·32 mins32 minutes ago
    @David_Cameron < You have demeaned the Office of Prime Minister of the United Kingdom to become a desperate cheerleader for the SNP.

tories are a caring bunch aren't we?

Ruth Davidson MSP‏@RuthDavidsonMSP·10m10 minutes ago
    .@JimForScotland @David_Cameron

you ok, hun?

Labour are crying foul

Owen Jones‏@OwenJones84·5 mins5 minutes ago
    The Tories are just running a scorched earth campaign now, aren't they? Desperate to win, even if that means fuelling the break-up of the UK
    How does it fuel the break-up of the UK? The Nats are gonna sweep Scotland, we all know that. Tories are just saying don't let the Nats run England, which is fair enough, seeing as the Nats have a government all their own, already, on top of the one they are trying to dominate in England.

Why should the Nats not dominating England make Scots more likely to vote for independence? If that's the only reason Scots will stay in the UK (to control the London government against the wishes of the English people), then the UK is finished anyway.

I see bleats of pain from the likes of Own Jones (and Speedy downthread) as clear evidence Labour are worried the Tory Sturgeon=Miliband meme is working.
    Entirely agree. the more Jim, Owen et al cry foul, the more it shows they haven't got an actual rebuttal method yet.
    so on top of Jim Murphy and Owen Jones, we have the ultimate proof of labour's struggle

Alastair Campbell‏@campbellclaret·48 secs49 seconds ago
    @David_Cameron is playing fast and loose with the Union to give himself a shot at a little while longer limping as PM. Pathetic and squalid
  • Options
    Well, I've stuck up for Ed for many years, I've said he was not nearly as bad as people claimed, and that I do not think his government would be a disaster. But I really did not like him in tonight's interview. Evasive, petulant and even at times a bit smug. He should have stuck to the Mr Super Reasonable schtick he has been deploying to great effect. But I accept I am not his target audience - perhaps as it was not one of the debates, and much more likely to be watched by wonks, he decided to go on the attack more.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,062
    Pulpstar said:

We're talking ball parks which is all that's necessary for the point I'm making. Only the Tories could stop a Labour minority government renewing Trident. Would they?
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

Labour will have close to 300 MPs. The SNP would have no more than 60.

Which seat outside of Scotland are you projecting the SNP to win ?

• Options
    kle4 said:

Well, I've stuck up for Ed for many years, I've said he was not nearly as bad as people claimed, and that I do not think his government would be a disaster. But I really did not like him in tonight's interview. Evasive, petulant and even at times a bit smug. He should have stuck to the Mr Super Reasonable schtick he has been deploying to great effect. But I accept I am not his target audience - perhaps as it was not one of the debates, and much more likely to be watched by wonks, he decided to go on the attack more.

Perhaps he missed his porridge for breakfast
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,907
    Anyone interested in why Cameron's policy of selling housing association property is such a shocking thing to do watch Panorama
  • Options

SeanT said:

@David_Cameron < You have demeaned the Office of Prime Minister of the United Kingdom to become a desperate cheerleader for the SNP.

you ok, hun?

Labour are crying foul

The Tories are just running a scorched earth campaign now, aren't they? Desperate to win, even if that means fuelling the break-up of the UK
    How does it fuel the break-up of the UK? The Nats are gonna sweep Scotland, we all know that. Tories are just saying don't let the Nats run England, which is fair enough, seeing as the Nats have a government all their own, already, on top of the one they are trying to dominate in England.

Why should the Nats not dominating England make Scots more likely to vote for independence? If that's the only reason Scots will stay in the UK (to control the London government against the wishes of the English people), then the UK is finished anyway.

I see bleats of pain from the likes of Own Jones (and Speedy downthread) as clear evidence Labour are worried the Tory Sturgeon=Miliband meme is working.
    Entirely agree. the more Jim, Owen et al cry foul, the more it shows they haven't got an actual rebuttal method yet.
    so on top of Jim Murphy and Owen Jones, we have the ultimate proof of labour's struggle

@David_Cameron is playing fast and loose with the Union to give himself a shot at a little while longer limping as PM. Pathetic and squalid
    Labour spinners appear to be in meltdown...

Alastair Campbell‏@campbellclaret·6 mins6 minutes ago
    Squalid too to see John Major being wheeled out like a poor man's Grant Shapps or Michael Fallon to toe the Crosby line. Awful people
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    isam said:

Conservative 310 to 340
    Labour 240-ish
    SNP 40+
    LibDem 12

I think Ladbrokes match bet of UKIP vs LD offers a bit of value on the LDs, though it could be a race fot the bottom.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Although he is seen as past his sell-by: personally I like the Paxman approach. It partly consists of curve ball questions that it is just possible to imagine have not been game-played by a leader's team of SpAds and courtiers, e.g. "how many foodbanks?" as an opener. No other interviewer would have the nerve.
    I think Paxman is very good at that, not that he hasn't at times made missteps (I think an opener of his to Galloway about 'getting rid of' one of the few black women in Parliament in 2005 IIRC was a pretty ridiculous question), and I think we need a certain number of interviewers willing to go there. I do think if someone is bad at it it is very unhelpful, it is a delicate line they have to tread, but done right it is very useful. I was just struck by Ed tonight that one thing politicians do to retaliate now is insist they have answered the question when they have not even close to done so, but if they insist loudly enough that they 'be allowed to answer', they will spin any non-answer as not having been permitted, even if they were.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    It's taken Labour about three weeks to work out what the Conservatives were up to by focusing on the SNP. They've not exactly been quick-witted.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Those Labour leads in Finchley, Harrow E, Croydon C and Ealing C aren't big enough to treat as guaranteed.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

EPG said:

felix said:

London Labour
    SNP Scotland

name 9
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    "Ed Miliband: Labour election victory 'within grasp'"

http://www.itv.com/news/update/2015-04-20/ed-miliband-labour-election-victory-within-grasp/

Ed MIliband's definition of "victory" obviously doesn't include winning 326 seats. Or is he really expecting to make 90+ gains in England & Wales?
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    JackW said:

Corby?
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

We're talking ball parks which is all that's necessary for the point I'm making. Only the Tories could stop a Labour minority government renewing Trident. Would they?
    No - Trident is goiing through whatever the Gov't.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

MTimT said:

HYUFD said:

Well they better warm up, she is only 58% ahead in the DEM primary and 15% ahead from the republicans in the latest poll.

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2015/images/04/20/cnnorc2016poll04202015.pdf
    US polls always show this sort of thing at this sort of stage in the cycle - indeed the Presidential polls are little more than name recognition polls at the moment. [The same is true within the GOP nomination polls]. A clear front runner in one party with strong name recognition leads by large margins in the polls until the challenger's name recognition goes up (a gradual process) and is nominated (usually quite a step). Given that Hillary has sky high name recognition, it is obvious why she holds a lead in the Presidential polling. It will not hold, certainly not by those margins. I envisage a close election, unless the GOP pick an absolute dud.
  • Options
    Eh_ehm_a_ehEh_ehm_a_eh Posts: 552
    JackW said:

They get a bonus seat for the clean sweep.
  • Options

SeanT said:

you ok, hun?

Labour are crying foul

Squalid too to see John Major being wheeled out like a poor man's Grant Shapps or Michael Fallon to toe the Crosby line. Awful people
    What on earth is he on about? In what universe is wheeling out former leaders squalid? One of the benefits is surely that they don't have to toe the line if they don't want to, so they must generally believe in it.
  • Options

. @David_Cameron puts a few more years in Downing St ahead of hundreds of years of Union between England and Scotland. Divide and misrule

Christ coming from this man,laughable.
  • Options
    chestnut said:

Those Labour leads in Finchley, Harrow E, Croydon C and Ealing C aren't big enough to treat as guaranteed.

No, and as I mentioned earlier they're also reliant on a thoroughly unreliable pollster.
  • Options
    One of the assumptions made here all the time needs to be challenged. This is that the rump LD will join with the Tories in forming a coalition.

Are you guys being serious ?

The reason why the LDs are in this mess - forty years work undone - is because of this nasty coalition.

The Liberals will not go into coalition with no one - not Tory, not Labour. They will go into opposition and rely of people's short term memory.

In 2020, they will again be the Protest Party.
  • Options
    isam said:

Conservative 310 to 340
    Labour 240-ish
    SNP 40+
    LibDem 12

So Labour only gain around 20 from Tories? That's a swing of around 2 or 2.5%
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,314
    edited April 2015

Fckn hell, what level of grinding third world poverty is implied by a poor man's Grant Shapps?

• Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    edited April 2015

. @David_Cameron puts a few more years in Downing St ahead of hundreds of years of Union between England and Scotland. Divide and misrule

Christ coming from this man,laughable.

'45 minutes to save the Union'

How many more Iraqis will have to die Al?

There isn't enough Swarfega in the world to wash his hands clean.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Speedy/TimT Yes the true pros will rip them all

HYUFD Are you in the US now, or still in the UK? If the former, where are you based? I'm still in the DC area.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341

The fear is palpable.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

SeanT said:

you ok, hun?

Labour are crying foul

What on earth is he on about? In what universe is wheeling out former leaders squalid? One of the benefits is surely that they don't have to toe the line if they don't want to, so they must generally believe in it.
    They think they are losing.... he can't stop the bile.

Alastair Campbell‏@campbellclaret·46 secs47 seconds ago
  • Options
    surbiton said:

One of the assumptions made here all the time needs to be challenged. This is that the rump LD will join with the Tories in forming a coalition.

Are you guys being serious ?

The reason why the LDs are in this mess - forty years work undone - is because of this nasty coalition.

The Liberals will not go into coalition with no one - not Tory, not Labour. They will go into opposition and rely of people's short term memory.

In 2020, they will again be the Protest Party.

Or.... "for the good of the country", "to avoid chaos", "to deal with meltdown in the markets", "because this is how it is done on continent" etc etc, they will attempt to do a deal.
  • Options
    edited April 2015

isam said:

Conservative 310 to 340
    Labour 240-ish
    SNP 40+
    LibDem 12

I don't know but care to explain? I'm up for a bet. What's the offering?
    Don't worry its not worth the effort
This discussion has been closed.