Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Tories double their lead with Opinium to 4%

Comments

• Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,634
    surbiton said:

Am I correct in saying that the Fixed Parliament Act can only be repealed by a vote requiring two-thirds majority.

This would be fun. Losing a Finance Bill vote would no longer lead to the government's resignation.

No it can be repealed with a simple majority.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,018
    surbiton said:

Am I correct in saying that the Fixed Parliament Act can only be repealed by a vote requiring two-thirds majority.

This would be fun. Losing a Finance Bill vote would no longer lead to the government's resignation.

Pretty sure it can be repealed with just a normal majority.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,079
    I know its not going to happen, but it would be pretty amusing if we ended up with a scenario with the big two on 275-280, the SNP on 45+, a second election is held soon afterwards when no arrangement could be made, and the SNP went straight back to 5-10. It would confuse plenty of people, that's for sure.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Would Labour and the Tories join forces to repeal the FTPA?
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,016
    Dair said:

If Cameron directly attacks Sturgeon (instead of smearing Labour as being "propped up by the SNP") surely he is risking looking scared and weak?

Dair said:

If Cameron directly attacks Sturgeon (instead of smearing Labour as being "propped up by the SNP") surely he is risking looking scared and weak?
    If my aunt had balls she would be my uncle.
    You do keep trying don't you?
    Of course, this only encourages 80% of Scots to vote even more for the SNP and against Labour than they are already. While it helps encourage Tory voting south of the border.

But it doesn't say much for his cuddly, inclusive, we love you Jockanese vision of last year ...

• Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    AndyJS said:

Bit of a puzzle: Tories 8 points ahead in England with Opinium, Labour heading for disaster in Scotland, and yet the reds are 3 points ahead overall with YouGov...

The answer is in your post. The Tories being 8% ahead means they will be losing seats in England.

Remember England has 533 seats, Scotland only 59.
  • Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012
    hunchman said:

Moses_ said:

SMukesh said:

Moses_ said:

SMukesh said:

I hear David Cameron has issued a plea to SNP voters in Scotland to vote Tory so he can win 50 seats in Sotland.

That would be quite funny if the 50 seats were not the ones that SNP are going to take from Labour.
    It would really,really be funny if the SNP hadn `t said they will vote down a Tory government come what may.
    Indeed.... Which leads to an interesting situation in a hung parliament. Nothing can be achieved by anyone as they all vote each other down. It's going to keep the history book writers in business for quite a while I suspect and provide hours of amusement as the country slowly sinks into the abyss.

Unless of course Ed works with the SNP .and become.Nicolas "bitch". Which he will of course despite what he says at the moment.
    A proper plague on all your houses result. Would ed risk working with the snp in such a scenario when knowing a 2nd election would be a big possibility within a year.
    And if he does not work with the SNP he is a traitorous pig dog to every leftie nut job north south east and west of the border and they have smelled blood.
  • Options
    compouter2compouter2 Posts: 2,371
    Scott_P said:

RobD said:

Care to summarise the story for us cheapos who don't subscribe to the Times? :D

Ok, I was lying when I said I actually read it...
    ARF!
  • Options
    GrandioseGrandiose Posts: 2,323
    Scott_P said:

Wouldn't need to, they could force an election anyway under it.
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    hunchman said:

Moses_ said:

SMukesh said:

Moses_ said:

SMukesh said:

I hear David Cameron has issued a plea to SNP voters in Scotland to vote Tory so he can win 50 seats in Sotland.

That would be quite funny if the 50 seats were not the ones that SNP are going to take from Labour.
    It would really,really be funny if the SNP hadn `t said they will vote down a Tory government come what may.
    Indeed.... Which leads to an interesting situation in a hung parliament. Nothing can be achieved by anyone as they all vote each other down. It's going to keep the history book writers in business for quite a while I suspect and provide hours of amusement as the country slowly sinks into the abyss.

Unless of course Ed works with the SNP .and become.Nicolas "bitch". Which he will of course despite what he says at the moment.
    A proper plague on all your houses result. Would ed risk working with the snp in such a scenario when knowing a 2nd election would be a big possibility within a year.
    Agreed. I had considered that as I am more and more convinced that a 2nd election is becoming inevitable as the first result would be unworkable. I also think he will to a point because everything he has done is to get that top spot. He will though be like Brown. When he gets there he won't know what he will do. He will have to rely on parties he would prefer not too. The SNP know this and will capitalise.

Of course if he doesn't and as a result the Tories remain in power wounded on confidence and supply that could cause problems with his own supporters who may drift further left to the greens.

The proverb " may you live in interesting times " seems quite apt.

It's going to be an utter dogs breakfast whatever the outcome.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

AndyJS said:

Bit of a puzzle: Tories 8 points ahead in England with Opinium, Labour heading for disaster in Scotland, and yet the reds are 3 points ahead overall with YouGov...

The answer is in your post. The Tories being 8% ahead means they will be losing seats in England.

Remember England has 533 seats, Scotland only 59.
    Not with UKIP on 13%.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    This sounds strangely familiar:

@suttonnick: Sunday Times front page:
    Palace tells politicians to back off
    #tomorrowspaperstoday #bbcpapers http://t.co/c2h9M43bFw
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

surbiton said:

So, to repeal you need a simple majority but to call another election, you need two-thirds majority ! Great !
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,017
    Scott_P said:

RobD said:

What were you doing when you said Emily Maitlis was interviewing Cameron and Clegg immediately after Thursdays debate as the trade off for not being in the 5 way show?
  • Options
    RobD said:

Ave_it said:

I am here hunchman!

Hope you are well.

Lol yougov I only follow icm

PB Golden Rule, old boy! :)
    Cast Iron Golden Rule....the only poll that counts is the one that shows Tory Party in the best light, the rest can go and swing(but not back).
  • Options
    antifrank said:

This sounds strangely familiar:

@suttonnick: Sunday Times front page:
    Palace tells politicians to back off
    #tomorrowspaperstoday #bbcpapers http://t.co/c2h9M43bFw

You're getting a name check in the morning thread for that (you'll be delighted to know it feature electoral reform)
  • Options
    surbiton said:

MaxPB said:

surbiton said:

So, to repeal you need a simple majority but to call another election, you need two-thirds majority ! Great !
    Yep, stupid bit of legislation. And it may have opened Pandora's box since it isn't clear if royal prerogatives can be reinstated, as it were.
  • Options
    isam said:

Scott_P said:

RobD said:

What were you doing when you said Emily Maitlis was interviewing Cameron and Clegg immediately after Thursdays debate as the trade off for not being in the 5 way show?
    He was in the toilet.........
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Scott_P said:

If both thought it was not in their interests for it to be in place? Sure. Personally I find a lot of the criticisms of the act hysterical, or things that already existed, but it was a very political piece of legislation for a specific scenario, and I would be shocked if someone wasn't suggesting that as an option depending on the outcome already; neither has any commitment to the thing, I am sure, not even if it means working with the other to repeal it..
  • Options

GIN1138 said:
    When will David Cameron plea to Monster Raving Loony and The Elvis Party supporters to vote tactically for the Tories to keep His Crapness out of Number 10?
    He has form with this tactic and he is 0/1

'David Cameron last night issued a desperate appeal to voters in the Rochester by-election to vote tactically to keep out Ukip – as a poll showed the anti-EU party with a 12-point lead.

In a highly unusual move, the Prime Minister urged Labour, Liberal Democrat and even Green supporters to lend their votes to the Tory candidate Kelly Tolhurst to prevent a ‘Ukip boost, and all the uncertainty and instability that leads to’.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2830796/Cameron-begs-Labour-voters-Help-beat-Ukip-Rochester-Farage-s-party-takes-12-point-lead.html
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,051
    This doesn't look like an appetising election to win, for whomsoever. Cameron overshadowed by an EU referendum and the Tory succession- never mind a weak economy (BTW- the UK economy has grown, but on the back of low wages, immigration and a flexible labour market that predominantly helps capital but gives the workers little back in return), and Miliband- who still has a a fundamentally weak economy, and who has most of his shadow team despising him, and waiting for him to trip up.
    This is not 1997- a good election to win. Or 1992- a good election to lose.
  • Options
    Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411
    hunchman said:

Ave_it said:

I am here hunchman!

Hope you are well.

Lol yougov I only follow icm

Welcome my friend! .I don't trust you gov either with their restricted samples. Let's see if other polls move in the tories favour over the coming week. My gut feel is that the electorate will give Cameron the weakest possible manage to remain in downing street even if it means con plus yellow peril plus dup being 323.let's see!
    We've won! No doubt about it!

Looking forward to Mike saying on here on 8 May 'I knew Con would win all along!'

I think 350 seats could be on

Watford - long way to go yet but its in our hands!
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Lloyds shares for all ?
  • Options
    hunchmanhunchman Posts: 2,591
    kle4 said:

I know its not going to happen, but it would be pretty amusing if we ended up with a scenario with the big two on 275-280, the SNP on 45+, a second election is held soon afterwards when no arrangement could be made, and the SNP went straight back to 5-10. It would confuse plenty of people, that's for sure.

SLAB are too far gone for that to happen. And if the snp felt that was a possibility then they'd likely not vote a minority labour government down.
  • Options
    isam said:

GIN1138 said:
    When will David Cameron plea to Monster Raving Loony and The Elvis Party supporters to vote tactically for the Tories to keep His Crapness out of Number 10?

'David Cameron last night issued a desperate appeal to voters in the Rochester by-election to vote tactically to keep out Ukip – as a poll showed the anti-EU party with a 12-point lead.

In a highly unusual move, the Prime Minister urged Labour, Liberal Democrat and even Green supporters to lend their votes to the Tory candidate Kelly Tolhurst to prevent a ‘Ukip boost, and all the uncertainty and instability that leads to’.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2830796/Cameron-begs-Labour-voters-Help-beat-Ukip-Rochester-Farage-s-party-takes-12-point-lead.html
    Maybe if he turned up to the TV Debates, he could have plea to them direct?
  • Options
    isam said:

Scott_P said:

RobD said:

I was really disappointed - I was looking forward to see how smoothly they would be able to insert references to the specifics of the debate into their prepared remarks.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,930
    Scott_P said:

The Times had a story about all the things Ed is going to do in his first weeks in office.

I scanned the text but I can't find the entry for "install the hotline to Nicola"...

He won't have to. Alex will be in and out of Downing St (via the back door of course) telling him what to do.

• Options
    hunchman said:

kle4 said:

SLAB are too far gone for that to happen. And if the snp felt that was a possibility then they'd likely not vote a minority labour government down.
    Yet more reasons why it would never happen, I know, but it would be hilarious if they were not expecting it, hence letting the government, and then it happened anyway. I can just imagine the fixed grin of whoever won (Labour presumably if it was based on the SNP returning to pre2015 form), struggling not to chide the public with 'why didn't you come up with that in the first place, idiots?'
  • Options
    A separate forecast from ICM for the Telegraph also put Labour and the Tories tied on 32 per cent each. However, it found that Labour supporters are more optimistic than people who backed the Conservatives in 2010 about their party’s prospects next month.
  • Options
    Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411
    LAB max 250 maybe 200

If they get 28% max which they will

Could see CON winning seats in Tower Hamlets and Newham

Glad Man U Lost - Chelsea are the natural champions of England and they represent good CON values!
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Carnyx said:

Dair said:

Dair said:

Of course, this only encourages 80% of Scots to vote even more for the SNP and against Labour than they are already. While it helps encourage Tory voting south of the border.

But it doesn't say much for his cuddly, inclusive, we love you Jockanese vision of last year ...

80%? I'd like to see the polling evidence for that.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,031
    welshowl said:

@Richard Tyndall

Not really but knew several that were. Bit wary of naming names in public - doesn't seem fair on them. I have little doubt we must have mutual acquaintances. Bill Rammel ( ex minister for universities and MP for Harlow) was Union president when I arrived ( that's in the public domain). I recall too one politico once put a union minibus in a ditch, Labour getting utterly wiped out in a student election as they didn't understand STV. I can also recall a well known current Welsh politician face down next to his curry in the Himalaya on Wellfield Rd. Apparently one of the Labour firebrands of the time went off and made a fortune in PR and now lives in a big pile in Surrey (!) . All good stuff.

Gair Rhydd is still going and had a 40th anniversary edition recently where I and some friends gleefully pointed out some headlines we remembered (eg the minibus incident above) to friends' kids who are students there now (God I'm old!).

As I learnt to PM yesterday ( thanks to Tabman). PM me if you like.

Just sent you a PM. Nothing serious, just chatter about old times :-)
  • Options
    surbiton said:

MaxPB said:

surbiton said:

Yes, it is a tricky situation. Labour would require the SNP to repeal the act, but the SNP are highly unlikely to want to repeal it given they would be holding Ed's balls. So they would have to turn to the Tories but the Tories would prefer Ed to limp on for a few months with Nicola holding his balls, so I don't see why they would repeal it until they have a new leader in place and a new team to present to the country. It could lead to a Belgium like situation where there is basically no effective government for a while and the civil service effectively run the country on the budgets and plans currently in place.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,319
    Deadline for registering to vote is this Monday.

From Tuesday, will pollsters ask everyone sampled whether they are registered to vote? And then exclude anyone who isn't from their voting intention numbers?

Seems absolutely basic that this should be done.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Dair said:

Dair said:

You mean his EVEL proposal? The one most English voters agree with? Labours devolution has saddled England with a democracy deficit. There is nothing cuddly about that.
  • Options

isam said:

GIN1138 said:

Ah nice turn of Phrase in the plural and by a quick pixel history is rewritten from debate to debateS

He actually did turn up to be fair but not to the monkey house of the BBC. Looking at what happened there it was probably better not too. He was never going to gain anything in a BBC studio so he probably figured best avoid and take the pain outside.
  • Options
    ICM’s latest Wisdom Index, which asks 2,000 adults online to predict the share of the vote that each party will receive, continued to forecast a dead heat, with Labour and the Tories on 32 per cent each. Ukip was forecast to win 12 per cent and the Liberal Democrats 14 per cent

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/general-election-2015/11547741/Election-2015-Tories-pledge-Tell-Sid-sale-of-Lloyds-Bank-shares.html
  • Options
    hunchmanhunchman Posts: 2,591
    MaxPB said:

surbiton said:

MaxPB said:

surbiton said:

Yes, it is a tricky situation. Labour would require the SNP to repeal the act, but the SNP are highly unlikely to want to repeal it given they would be holding Ed's balls. So they would have to turn to the Tories but the Tories would prefer Ed to limp on for a few months with Nicola holding his balls, so I don't see why they would repeal it until they have a new leader in place and a new team to present to the country. It could lead to a Belgium like situation where there is basically no effective government for a while and the civil service effectively run the country on the budgets and plans currently in place.
    That would be great fun debating it all on pb.bring it on!
  • Options
    Sometimes I think the public as a whole don't really know what's going on with politics - why would they, it's for weirdos outside election time - but if they are predicting it will be a dead heat, collectively that shows plenty of sense. 32% seems a little low though.
  • Options
    Eh_ehm_a_ehEh_ehm_a_eh Posts: 552
    Ave_it said:

LAB max 250 maybe 200

If they get 28% max which they will

Could see CON winning seats in Tower Hamlets and Newham

Glad Man U Lost - Chelsea are the natural champions of England and they represent good CON values!

Full of racists and owned by a Russian.

• Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,883
    There's something on the front of the Independence about the parties preparing for a second election. Labour would struggle to fund a second election any time soon and the SNP wouldn't want to put their likely gains up for election if they don't have to, so i think Lab/SNP would try and hold power for two years minimum.
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

isam said:

GIN1138 said:

Ah nice turn of Phrase in the plural and by a quick pixel history is rewritten from debate to debateS

He actually did turn up to be fair but not to the monkey house of the BBC. Looking at what happened there it was probably better not too. He was never going to gain anything in a BBC studio so he probably figured best avoid and take the pain outside.
    The audience may have been hostile to him, but several of the questions would actually have been very easy ones for him.

• Options
    hunchman said:

MaxPB said:

surbiton said:

MaxPB said:

surbiton said:

That would be great fun debating it all on pb.bring it on!
    We have a large roundabout close to us which has traffic lights at every entrance. It causes chaos in the rush hours. One day they broke down and for the next two days traffic flowed superbly until they were fixed and it was back to normal.....

I think governments are a bit like that hence Belgium probably had a good working model, for a while at least.
  • Options
    Artist said:

There's something on the front of the Independence about the parties preparing for a second election. Labour would struggle to fund a second election any time soon

I've seen this said a lot, can it really be true? The unions wouldn't risk Labour being unfunded for a campaign would they?

• Options
    kle4 said:

Moses_ said:

isam said:

GIN1138 said:

The audience may have been hostile to him, but several of the questions would actually have been very easy ones for him.

In hindsight of course.
  • Options
    Artist said:

There's something on the front of the Independence about the parties preparing for a second election. Labour would struggle to fund a second election any time soon and the SNP wouldn't want to put their likely gains up for election if they don't have to, so i think Lab/SNP would try and hold power for two years minimum.

I think that would lead to a massive wipeout for Labour in England after two years of a bruising alliance with the SNP. Labour would need the unions to step in and fund an October election with a new leader. It may be that both Ed and Dave will be ousted for a new election, but as I said I don't see the Tories going into an election unless they are certain they can win, which means new leader and Ed in being held in place by Nicola.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Moses_ said:

isam said:

GIN1138 said:

Why did he bottle out of the post debate interview w Maitlis though?
  • Options
    George Osborne, greatest master of economics for the last 500 years and all round PB Hodge hero.Has he gone on one of his holidays or is he lurking the shadows ready to pounce. He seems to have gone missing.
  • Options
    Artist said:

Good post. I doubt very much if the SNP get circa 50 seats they would want an election anytime soon for the rationale you said. They will want to bask in their day of sun for as long as possible. So Labour 255-260 pretty much seals the deal for maybe 5 years even, because even Con plus LD's and the rest doesn't cut it.

The Tories need to get to 295 seats at least to remain in power- counting 25 LD's and the DUP.

The path to power for Labour is just so much easier- they can afford to be 40 seats behind, and still call the shots.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

George Osborne, greatest master of economics for the last 500 years and all round PB Hodge hero.Has he gone on one of his holidays or is he lurking the shadows ready to pounce. He seems to have gone missing.

On his way back from Washington after beig hailed by the IMF for the UKs economic success.

He may pop up and mention it this week.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

He seems to have gone missing.

He was on TV yesterday. He is at the IMF meeting
  • Options
    marke09 said:
    Yawn here we go again.....

3 months to save the NHS
    24 hours to save the NHS
    Etc etc
    It's still there .

Weaponising the NHS indeed.

• Options
    Moses_ said:

isam said:

GIN1138 said:

Agreed. Its amazing how short term the memory of the anti Cameron desperadoes is. It would seem you are also right about the BBC monkey house. I doubt it will come out but the BBC are the real losers in this election. Or winners from their point of view.
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820

ICM’s latest Wisdom Index, which asks 2,000 adults online to predict the share of the vote that each party will receive, continued to forecast a dead heat, with Labour and the Tories on 32 per cent each. Ukip was forecast to win 12 per cent and the Liberal Democrats 14 per cent

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/general-election-2015/11547741/Election-2015-Tories-pledge-Tell-Sid-sale-of-Lloyds-Bank-shares.html

If they forecast the Lib Dems to improve their votes by 75% then we have to assume that the population sample is as unbiased as a BBC audience. Oh it's the same polling company! Quelle surprise.
  • Options

You forgot most popular heir-to-a-baronetcy in the realm.
  • Options

Moses_ said:

isam said:

GIN1138 said:

Agreed. Its amazing how short term the memory of the anti Cameron desperadoes is. It would seem you are also right about the BBC monkey house. I doubt it will come out but the BBC are the real losers in this election. Or winners from their point of view.
    ARF!
  • Options

On his way back from Washington after beig hailed by the IMF for the UKs economic success.

GO .....saved the world and was the best towel folder in Selfridges.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    MaxPB said:

surbiton said:

MaxPB said:

surbiton said:

I can see situations where Labour launch a vote of no confidence hoping to lose it - and telling their MPs to vote against it - to enable a general election - but the Tories and SNP vote in favour (i.e. they have confidence)!
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    tyson said:

Artist said:

Th.

The path to power for Labour is just so much easier- they can afford to be 40 seats behind, and still call the shots.
    Yep. Tories seem to be resting their hopes on the fact Labour won't like having to rely on the SNP, but they didn't like relying on the LDs either, and though Lab-SNP likely wouldn't be a full coalition agreement, there are plenty of reasons for both of them not to want to go to the polls again quickly, and as Con-LD have proven, you can last a full term pretty easily if that remains the case.
    isam said:

Was that ever actually a thing or just what we thought was happening? Either way, we know why he bottled out of it, he thought it would look bad. Same reason Ed doesn't ask the questions at DPMQs. Cameron thought he'd look bad in a debate, and knew he'd look bad if it seemed he'd sat there patiently for an hour and a half listening to the 5 people who hate him.

• Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,482
    Moses_ said:

marke09 said:

3 months to save the NHS
    24 hours to save the NHS
    Etc etc
    It's still there .

18 days to save Crossover! :lol::lol:
  • Options

He is the USA on government business. If you bothered to follow current affairs you would know this of course. The running of a country does not just stop for elections as much as you may want it to even though you try to misconstrue the situation.
  • Options

Moses_ said:

marke09 said:

3 months to save the NHS
    24 hours to save the NHS
    Etc etc
    It's still there .

Which way though Sunil?
  • Options
    chestnut said:

SMukesh said:

There is only one party with the momentum and the movement is all in one direction.

Indeed. How are Labour going to react to it though?
    And how are Tories?
  • Options

Moses_ said:

marke09 said:

3 months to save the NHS
    24 hours to save the NHS
    Etc etc
    It's still there .

Didn't Lord Crosby of Crossover declare March was pulling away month and January was crossover month............Basil is not a happy squirrel.
  • Options
    Crossover is being saved for the hypothetical second election. You don't want to peak too early.
  • Options

Fox- Osborne's dash to the IMF, for a summit on ebola (of all things), was a political stunt straight out of the Brown copybook. To be honest I guess Lynton and DC were quite happy that he spent a few days away- Osborne doesn't strike me as the type of person you want too close when the pressure is on.

Are you up for the Broxtowe meet before the election on the 5th May at Beeston at the Victoria at 8.00? I know it is a Tuesday, but it is election week after all.
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

He is the USA on government business. If you bothered to follow current affairs you would know this of course. The running of a country does not just stop for elections as much as you may want it to even though you try to misconstrue the situation.
    Will he be walking across the Atlantic or will he fly back like us mere mortals?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

tyson said:

Artist said:

Th.

Yep. Tories seem to be resting their hopes on the fact Labour won't like having to rely on the SNP, but they didn't like relying on the LDs either, and though Lab-SNP likely wouldn't be a full coalition agreement, there are plenty of reasons for both of them not to want to go to the polls again quickly, and as Con-LD have proven, you can last a full term pretty easily if that remains the case.
    isam said:

Was that ever actually a thing or just what we thought was happening? Either way, we know why he bottled out of it, he thought it would look bad. Same reason Ed doesn't ask the questions at DPMQs. Cameron thought he'd look bad in a debate, and knew he'd look bad if it seemed he'd sat there patiently for an hour and a half listening to the 5 people who hate him.

I am guided by the certainty and confidence of the posts on here... But on the debates they seemed to be extremely unreliable
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    edited April 2015
    UKIP has had enough of the BBC's bias and has called in the lawyers.

Front page of tomorrow's Express:

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/589529561412546561
  • Options

GO .....saved the world and was the best towel folder in Selfridges.
    I will stand corrected but that was Brown. He said as much in a crowded House of Commons I seem to recall. I am sure there is a link to it somewhere

• Options

Moses_ said:

Will he be walking across the Atlantic or will he fly back like us mere mortals?
    Don't be silly - everyone knows only Scottish nationalists can do that.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Crossover is being saved for the hypothetical second election. You don't want to peak too early.

Two hypothetical crossovers in a matter of months. Basil will be suicidal.
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @compouter2

'George Osborne, greatest master of economics for the last 500 years and all round PB Hodge hero.Has he gone on one of his holidays or is he lurking the shadows ready to pounce. He seems to have gone missing.'

Are you trying to be funny or just showing your ignorance?

• Options
    john_zims said:

@compouter2

'George Osborne, greatest master of economics for the last 500 years and all round PB Hodge hero.Has he gone on one of his holidays or is he lurking the shadows ready to pounce. He seems to have gone missing.'

Are you trying to be funny or just showing your ignorance?

The latter, obviously.
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

Moses- the IMF conference is primarily looking at Ebola. Of course George needs to go- we had that Scottish nurse after all with the disease.
    Do you not think Lynton's greasy, black paws were all over this? Kicking Gove out from education was one thing, but getting George's face out the way quite another.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    tyson said:

Fox- Osborne's dash to the IMF, for a summit on ebola (of all things), was a political stunt straight out of the Brown copybook. To be honest I guess Lynton and DC were quite happy that he spent a few days away- Osborne doesn't strike me as the type of person you want too close when the pressure is on.

Are you up for the Broxtowe meet before the election on the 5th May at Beeston at the Victoria at 8.00? I know it is a Tuesday, but it is election week after all.
    I have a late finish on a Tuesday most weeks, will need to see if I can make it.
  • Options
    tyson said:

Moses_ said:

Moses- the IMF conference is primarily looking at Ebola. Of course George needs to go- we had that Scottish nurse after all with the disease.
    Do you not think Lynton's greasy, black paws were all over this? Kicking Gove out from education was one thing, but getting George's face out the way quite another.
    Disaster for the Tory Party to get the economical Einstein out of the country. Have they not seen the worship he gets on here. The Fiscal Messiah is a vote winner, a marginal seat vote booster , can reach voters like no other and an all round top chap.

• Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,482
    Moses_ said:

Moses_ said:

marke09 said:

3 months to save the NHS
    24 hours to save the NHS
    Etc etc
    It's still there .

Which way though Sunil?
    Tories were 0.5% ahead in ELBOW on Easter Sunday
    Labour were 1.2% aheqqd last Sunday
    Labour are currently 0.3% ahead so far this week (TBC when we get the YG tables).
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    MP_SE said:

I'm not sure about this argument... From what I can work out, if the audience were to be reflective of the participants it should have been overwhelmingly left wing shouldn't it? And it was
  • Options
    Who is PB Hodges ?
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    MP_SE said:

htps://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/589529561412546561

Bloody ridiculous posturing designed to appeal to their base and that's all (to forestall the obvious retort, I state once again that I liked Farage best in that debate and thought the crowd obnoxious and slanted - but the extent of the moaning is ridiculous and out of proportion on who it is focused on, and so patently just the same old political posturing UKIP pretend they don't do).
    tyson said:

Who is PB Hodges ?

I think there's a little of PB Hodges in many people.

Night all.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

MP_SE said:

Bloody ridiculous posturing designed to appeal to their base and that's all (to forestall the obvious retort, I state once again that I liked Farage best in that debate and thought the crowd obnoxious and slanted - but the extent of the moaning is ridiculous and out of proportion on who it is focused on, and so patently just the same old political posturing UKIP pretend they don't do).
    tyson said:

Who is PB Hodges ?

Night all.
    Mega Arf!
  • Options

tyson said:

Moses_ said:

Disaster for the Tory Party to get the economical Einstein out of the country. Have they not seen the worship he gets on here. The Fiscal Messiah is a vote winner, a marginal seat vote booster , can reach voters like no other and an all round top chap.

Try here and educate yourself. If you don't like that there are many other left and right papers and outlets reporting the same . Labour could only dream of comments like that they just got warnings for years. I think they are all bad but Labour are by far the worst.

"George Osborne's economic management has drawn praise from the head of the IMF and Germany's finance minister."

Speaking in Washington last night, IMF chief Christine Lagarde argued that while the global economy as a whole had exhibited a "moderate and uneven" return to growth which was "simply not good enough," looking at individual nations' growth rates showed that "it’s obvious that what happened in the UK has worked".

Meanwhile, the German finance minister, Wolfgang Schäuble, said that while he was reluctant to judge the performance of any other EU member state, "the UK has done a very good job in the last few years and Osborne has a very good plan for the future".

https://www.politicshome.com/economy-and-work/articles/story/osborne-gets-double-boost-imf-and-germany
  • Options

tyson said:

I have a late finish on a Tuesday most weeks, will need to see if I can make it.
    I think it may well be a late night though. It'll be a great insight though to get into the inside of a marginal campaign, whichever angle you come from. And I think most of pbCOM (irrespective of political allegiance) is wishing Nick on.
  • Options
    tyson said:

Who is PB Hodges ?

Is a bit like PB Tory, has a great nebulous approach.

It was coined by Compouter, the same poster who said in Jan/Feb 2014 there wouldn't be any polls showing the Tories ahead between and the election.

With that level of insight....
  • Options
    kle4 said:

MP_SE said:

tyson said:

Who is PB Hodges ?

Night all.
    You might say that - but a key plank in the UKIP election plan is to bring the BBC into disrepute. Once the populace lose confidence in the BBC as an independent broadcaster then Labour's £4 billion privately funded broadcaster is sunk.

They'll have to return the champagne bottles on Friday morning - undrunk.

Oh - by the way - which opinion poll did the BBC lead with tonight? Opinium wasn't it?
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,319
    edited April 2015
    isam said:

MP_SE said:

I'm not sure about this argument... From what I can work out, if the audience were to be reflective of the participants it should have been overwhelmingly left wing shouldn't it? And it was
    As everyone already knows the audience was split:

Con 5
    Lab 5
    LD 4
    UKIP 3
    SNP 2
    Green 2
    PC 1

....... as agreed by all parties and entirely sensible given the result of the last GE, polls and OFCOM ruling re Major Party status.

There is nothing to argue about and UKIP has zero chance of getting anywhere with its complaint. Literally zero. It's just a publicity stunt to generate a headline.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

MP_SE said:

tyson said:

Who is PB Hodges ?

Night all.
    Before you go to bed, your answer is too oblique. Who is PB Hodges?
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

tyson said:

Moses_ said:

Try here and educate yourself. If you don't like that there are many other left and right papers and outlets reporting the same . Labour could only dream of comments like that they just got warnings for years. I think they are all bad but Labour are by far the worst.

"George Osborne's economic management has drawn praise from the head of the IMF and Germany's finance minister."

Speaking in Washington last night, IMF chief Christine Lagarde argued that while the global economy as a whole had exhibited a "moderate and uneven" return to growth which was "simply not good enough," looking at individual nations' growth rates showed that "it’s obvious that what happened in the UK has worked".

Meanwhile, the German finance minister, Wolfgang Schäuble, said that while he was reluctant to judge the performance of any other EU member state, "the UK has done a very good job in the last few years and Osborne has a very good plan for the future".

https://www.politicshome.com/economy-and-work/articles/story/osborne-gets-double-boost-imf-and-germany
    So GO is not going to walk across the Atlantic, but part the waves of the Atlantic and walk between the US and the UK with a whole host of economic ministers and experts in tow. Only to turn up at Selfridges in London to show them how a towel should be folded properly?
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    isam said:

MP_SE said:

I think the issue is with Dimbleby's statement that “This is an audience that has been carefully chosen not by the BBC, but by an independent polling organisation to represent the balance between all parties.”

It subsequently came to light that the left wing political parties were overrepresented with a ratio of 2:1.

• Options

tyson said:

Who is PB Hodges ?

It was coined by Compouter, the same poster who said in Jan/Feb 2014 there wouldn't be any polls showing the Tories ahead between and the election.

*** Blows Eagles a kiss ***
  • Options

tyson said:

Who is PB Hodges ?

I still don't understand. Are we taking the p out of Dan Hodges here, and it has become some kind of inner collective, nuanced joke.
    The EICIPM really maddened me for some time before you told me
  • Options
    scotslassscotslass Posts: 912

Some interesting opinion poll facts on the total failure of Murphy. SNPs record poll lead was still under Salmond in the immediate aftermath of Lamont's resignation. However the following figures demonstrate the abject failure of Murphy to do anything except irritate most of the population.

18 Mar–8 Apr 2015 TNS 978 52% 24% LEAD 28%

22–29 Oct 2014 Ipsos Mori/STV 769 52% 23% LEAD 29%

24TH OCTOBER JOHANN LAMONT RESIGNS

29 Sep–1 Oct 2014 Panelbase/SNP 1,049 34% 32% LEAD 2%

Should there not be a bring back Lamont camapign to save the party!
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,930
    edited April 2015

Moses_ said:

Moses_ said:

marke09 said:

3 months to save the NHS
    24 hours to save the NHS
    Etc etc
    It's still there .

Which way though Sunil?
    Labour are currently 0.3% ahead so far this week (TBC when we get the YG tables).
    Lab's Easter lead unwinding this week, Con back into the lead with ELBOW next week? :smiley:
  • Options
    tyson said:

tyson said:

Who is PB Hodges ?

I still don't understand. Are we taking the p out of Dan Hodges here, and it has become some kind of inner collective, nuanced joke.
    The EICIPM really maddened me for some time before you told me
    PB Hodges, the most entertaining thing on here. I love 'em.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Moses_ said:

Moses_ said:

marke09 said:

3 months to save the NHS
    24 hours to save the NHS
    Etc etc
    It's still there .

Which way though Sunil?
    Lab's Easter lead unwinding this week, Con back into the lead with ELBOW next week? :smiley:
    Straw meet Gin. Gin meet straw. :-)
  • Options

tyson said:

Who is PB Hodges ?

*** Blows Eagles a kiss ***
    This has become even more obscure. I expected a simple explanation to who is pb Hodges? At least I got that from EICIPM.

This discussion has been closed.