Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » David Herdson on why it suits all that a debate on the econ

12346»

Comments

• Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    edited April 2015
    I thought *slow* was perfect for True Detective - it built a huge thriller drama mystique.

In BCS - I felt it was filler. The suspense didn't add to the characters or plot - it was just *wasting* minutes.

If I'd felt I'd known more by the waiting - I'd be happy. The use of *wasted time* in The Thing with Kurt Russell killed me emotionally. I was a wreck.

I was bored and fidigity in BCS and played with Twitter as well.
    Dair said:

Plato said:

I'm watching Chuck as a binge now. Old but very funny.

I'm in two minds about Better Call Saul - it's very patchy - and slow.

Dair said:

Plato said:

Subscribe for free to Netflix and binge it - then cancel your sub.

Dair said:

Having to skip posts about Daredevil, it might be an idea to wait to discuss binge dumped shows for a few weeks after the dump. Please.

Not what I meant.

I have it ready to watch and have watched the first two episodes. But it's only been out a week and time is limited to binge through it. Maybe tomorrow.
    I found Saul excellent, didn't get the criticisms it was slow but certainly I've seen that expressed a lot.

The pacing seemed just right for that show just as the constant bat shit crazy pacing works so well for Reign. Depends how its written and how it comes together.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    new thread
  • Options
    sarissasarissa Posts: 1,801
    Plato said:

Oh bugger - they've merged into one. I've never confused two shows like this before.

#Alzheimers

kle4 said:

Miss Plato, can't seem to recall a blonde lady in a red dress...

Outside of Battlestar Galactica.
    Don't knock it - a mash-up could be a great idea!

How about a Stargate X-Files or Farscape Walking Dead series?
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    Allister Heath's straight talking:

"What is certain is that there is zero chance of the UK’s jobs boom continuing if a coalition of Left-wing parties take over after May and set off an ideologically-driven tax and regulatory avalanche. "

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/jobs/11546792/UKs-jobs-boom-would-not-survive-a-Left-wing-war-on-business.html
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

Has Ed phoned Dave to concede yet?

No, but I wonder what note Danny Alexander is leaving for his successor.

Anyway, I hear there's this thing called sunshine outside, must be off.
    Dear Chief Secretary, I'm afraid there is no credibility left.

Kind regards and good luck.
    Dear Chief Secretary, Gis a job.
  • Options
    Financier said:

"What is certain is that there is zero chance of the UK’s jobs boom continuing if a coalition of Left-wing parties take over after May and set off an ideologically-driven tax and regulatory avalanche. "

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/jobs/11546792/UKs-jobs-boom-would-not-survive-a-Left-wing-war-on-business.html

Yes but at least the productivity per worker may look better..... Just like France.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

I'm surprised Lab needs such a high lead for a majority, but I guess that's the impact of Scotland. But as has been pointed out many times, although they don't want to win that way, any SNP seats will transfer directly to making Ed PM anyway, so they're not real losses, even though they would limit what he could actually pass (PC and Greens meanwhile have no bargaining pieces outside of where they agree with SNP - they 'demanded' various things of a Labour government, but have admitted they will never allow a Tory government, so Ed can count on their votes without them having the numbers to make him do anything.

Not necessarily. There is a line between allowing a Tory government and actually supplying the votes for a Labour government.

If we end in the situation of Tories most seats and an English majority, Labour underpinned by SNP and PC then each vote will be difficult.
    It will. It will be hell and, as you say, great for the SNP. They can force Ed to do things if he wants to pass things even if PC and the Greens cannot (unless the SNP agrees to help them, which should not normally be a problem but it could happen), they have committed to not letting him fall in a no-confidence situation, and Ed only needs to worry about the SNP for actually doing things.

But as hellish as it will be, especially compared to the relative harmony of this coalition, I think people underestimate how badly Lab in particular want to be in power and so will be willing to compromise on things to get the SNP votes, and the SNP seem canny enough to, for the most part, not overplay it.

Not only could every vote depend upon Miliband convincing the SNP and others to trudge through the lobbies (which the LD's as part of a coalition had an obligation to do, the SNP in a minority won't).

Labour's own "awkward squad" could cause great difficulties too. This coalition government has been remarkably stable, even compared to the last Lab government with its Blair/Brown divisions. I can't see that staying the same for five years of minority.

Plus every time the government passed an English bill rejected by an English majority (but passed by MPs who due to devolution own constituencies aren't affected) it will have the press screaming blue murder.

I think this scenario would make 1992-97 look easy, united and stable!
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    Financier said:

The SNP is already killing employment prospects in Scotland relative to the rUK. Sad.
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,819

DavidL said:

David, by far the biggest and most serious fly in the ointment remains our very serious trade deficit which is steadily impoverishing the country. It is also indicative of a series of underlying problems. It shows that rather than suffering the supposed horrors of austerity we in fact have excess demand in our economy that is sucking in imports we cannot afford. It shows we have major problems with competitiveness in that we cannot sell enough goods and services to pay for our consumption. This is partly a consequence of our low productivity and partly a consequence of our poor educational attainment.

None of our politicians are talking about this because it is unremitting bad news. It means cutting the deficit and hence excess demand is more urgent than they want to admit. It means that all this supposed hardship has not brought our standard of living in line with our earnings. And it means sooner rather than later there will be a price to pay for all this government largesse that we enjoy so much.

I think politicians should be willing to tackle it more - I got an awful lot of good feedback when I wrote this:

http://www.nickpalmer.org.uk/personal-manifesto-part-i-is-britain-viable/

That said, it's impossible to argue on the doorstep or in media-friendly soundbites.

By the way, Nick, that's a bloody well-reasoned piece of work that should appeal to people cross-party. It certainly strikes a chord with me.
This discussion has been closed.