Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Who’s won and will it make it any difference to the electio

SystemSystem Posts: 11,014
edited April 2015 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Who’s won and will it make it any difference to the election campaign?

It's over. Now we wait for the poll to tell us who have won. pic.twitter.com/ssnQy2qi2l

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,911
    Now over to Emily Maitlis for the post debates interviews with Cameron and Clegg that @ScottP mentioned...

Oh its William Hague
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Betfair position

+38.24 Nige
    +21.32 Sturge
    -66.29 Ed
    -160 the field

#boothefield
  • Options
    IOSIOS Posts: 1,450
    Ed Miliband.

Cameron is such a coward.
  • Options
    bunncobunnco Posts: 169
    edited April 2015
    SunNation twitter worm shows big loser is Daily Express's Desmond who saw £1.3m vanish into a puff of smoke.
  • Options
    The fact that PB Tories were banging on about the audience shows how Miliband was getting the best of it.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,973
    Mr. IOS, I'm shocked, you're normally so pro-Cameron :p
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    O'Flynn "Nigel he only grown up in a student union debate"

About right
  • Options
    BenMBenM Posts: 1,795
    bunnco said:

SunNation twitter worm shows big loser is Daley Express's Desmond who saw £1.3m vanish into a puff of smoke.

Farage's closing remarks massively ironic after tonight's news.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Non-representative anecdote but I just switched off PB and onto Facebook and at the time of writing I'm not seeing even a single post about this from any of by Facebook friends. Quite a few posts from across the political spectrum during and after the ITV debate.

Curious as to how much of the nation's interest this will have taken.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Is there a poll?
  • Options
    Come on Morris.

The expectations were so low for this - he walked through it as the center ground candidate. What's more tomorrow is going to be all about how Cameron won't debate him.... again!
  • Options
    Philip

Probably got around 4 million voters watching. Not as much as a main BBC programme but that's a hell of a lot!
  • Options
    IOS said:

The fact that PB Tories were banging on about the audience shows how Miliband was getting the best of it.

Not at all.

I thought Sturgeon did best of those on stage. SNP will likely be locked into top spot in Scotland I think.

The one who shocked me the most was the Green leader. She actually sounded sensible which is very concerning given her policies are anything but.
  • Options
    Mr. IOS, centre*, we're not Americans.

[And you're missing a 'with'].

Cameron's absence may be part of the political chatter for a while. I doubt it'll make a significant impact.
  • Options
    Morris

It's making Ed's personal rating going up and up and up..
  • Options
    Danny Alexander - we would not work with SNP.

So SNP winning Labour seats if that's true clearly help the Tories. It seems to answer the question as to which way the LD's would go if Lab+SNP = Tory seats and LD hold the balance of power.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,243
    FPT
    I thought Nicola and the Indian girl, Leanne, did best :)
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850
    RECKLESS on TV. No split with Farage!

All this "I don't want Farage holding the balance of power".

News flash: Farage won't be holding the balance of power.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Do we actually know that there are polls being carried out?
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,600
    edited April 2015

IOS said:

Not at all.

I thought Sturgeon did best of those on stage. SNP will likely be locked into top spot in Scotland I think.

The one who shocked me the most was the Green leader. She actually sounded sensible which is very concerning given her policies are anything but.
    Agree
  • Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108
    I've still not had my invite from populus. Are they waiting till 10 ?
  • Options
    SF actually won the popular vote in NI last time around
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,361
    So who did win? I didn't watch it, but last time weren't there worms and polls and things?
  • Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012

Cameron's absence may be part of the political chatter for a while. I doubt it'll make a significant impact.

With Cameron and Clegg involved we would have had a different 'debate'. Was the last one any use? Do these 15 to 1 type debates do anything?
    Remind me - how many days left to go? Quite a few. Did anyone today actually do anything significant to justify the claims made for these debates ?
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    Farage's comment about one house every 7 minutes.

Comes out at 70,000 houses a year.

Which seems about right to house 300,000 net immigrants.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362

Sky News ✔ @SkyNews

Our Sky News Twitter poll says Nicola Sturgeon won tonight's debate, while Natalie Bennett came last. pic.twitter.com/xZ7NaVUEpu

• Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,846
    Sounds a great success

Voters walked out of a Tory campaign event – leaving flailing David Cameron red faced as he defended Conservative cuts.

The Prime Minister hoped to win over mobile phone workers with a town hall-style question-and-answer session.

But the bid backfired when they subjected him to a 42-minute grilling him over food banks, legal aid cuts and slashing benefits for the most vulnerable.

The flustered PM, sweat glistening at the base of his neck, watched as up to 30 of the 200-strong audience at O2 in Leeds walked out during his appearance, preferring to go back to work than listen to his electioneering.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,717

Probably not, but he missed an opportunity to try and take Ed down, and Ed was not taken down by the others in a way which will stick.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,921
    I really wouldn't worry about the polling on this. From the sound of it no-one did anything to change a single vote.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Do we actually know that there are polls being carried out?

Yes Survation for the Mirror.
  • Options

Sky News ✔ @SkyNews

Our Sky News Twitter poll says Nicola Sturgeon won tonight's debate, while Natalie Bennett came last. pic.twitter.com/xZ7NaVUEpu

Twitter poll?
  • Options
    Mr. Jonnie, bit of an unfair comment, given Farage wants to cut the number of migrants entering the country.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,937

Non-representative anecdote but I just switched off PB and onto Facebook and at the time of writing I'm not seeing even a single post about this from any of by Facebook friends. Quite a few posts from across the political spectrum during and after the ITV debate.

Curious as to how much of the nation's interest this will have taken.

Same here. Several photos of babies, lots of scenic views from round-coast walkers (lucky bu**ers), and one photo of a phone box.

I guess I'm just not heavily enough involved with the political scene. :-)
  • Options

Sounds a great success

Voters walked out of a Tory campaign event – leaving flailing David Cameron red faced as he defended Conservative cuts.

The Prime Minister hoped to win over mobile phone workers with a town hall-style question-and-answer session.

But the bid backfired when they subjected him to a 42-minute grilling him over food banks, legal aid cuts and slashing benefits for the most vulnerable.

The flustered PM, sweat glistening at the base of his neck, watched as up to 30 of the 200-strong audience at O2 in Leeds walked out during his appearance, preferring to go back to work than listen to his electioneering.

But I thought we were always told that private-sector workers didn't care about public spending?
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

I really wouldn't worry about the polling on this. From the sound of it no-one did anything to change a single vote.

Didn't watch it. My impression is the same as yours. The public will probably note the one on one debate challenge, but a fair percentage of the public will be glad to be spared the political clutter on the main TV channels.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Are they putting on Irish accents? I'm seeing Nigel Dods
    Scott_P • Posts: 8,205 April 15
    "SMukesh said:So Nick and Dave get an extra interview with Evan Davis as they aren't in tomorrow's debate.Is that correct?"

Scott_P • Posts: 8,205 April 15
    "No
    All 3 leaders get Evan. Nick last Monday, Dave tonight, Ed next week.
    Immediately after the bunfight tomorrow, the Tories and Lib Dems get 30 mins with Emily Maitlis to respond"
  • Options

SF actually won the popular vote in NI last time around

Maybe controversial but Sinn Fein winning otherwise-SDLP seats is great as far as I'm concerned.

We need an abstentionous party winning mainland Labour seats too.
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050
    The loser is Cameron, of course. Even worse are the LD's who made themselves irrelevant- one step below loser, but I do not know how you can classify that.
  • Options
    I will ask the question again, is there actually going to be a poll tonight?
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,800

Sounds a great success

Source?
  • Options
    Incidentally, for those who missed it this morning, the latest episode in sci-fi pirate serial Zodiac Eclipse is up now:
    http://www.kraxon.com/zodiac-eclipse-negotiation/

All episodes available for free viewing here [oldest at the bottom]:
    http://www.kraxon.com/category/zodiac-eclipse/
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,297
    Sean_F said:

Sounds a great success

Source?
    The Mirror I take it.

• Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Just plain odd that Cameron didn't give a Tory voice tonight.

Don't care about electoral tactics, it's wrong not to represent 30% of public opinion.
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820

Mr. Jonnie, bit of an unfair comment, given Farage wants to cut the number of migrants entering the country.

I think the comment is pertinent. If you think it unfair then it has struck home. There is no indication that net migration is going to fall - and will rise substantially when Greece goes belly up. We only created 120,000 homes last year - take off the 70,000 or so for immigrants and that leaves 50,000 for people on waiting lists.
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664

Sounds a great success

Until I read that I thought tonight's debate was the biggest political non-story of all time. I note you don't attribute it - Mirror?
  • Options
    Jonathon - what do you expect. Short term aims and making mistakes.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,286
    Betfair Most Seats:

Pre-debate: Con 1.54
    Post-debate: Con 1.53
  • Options
    EastwingerEastwinger Posts: 351

Sounds a great success

Wot, only 15% Labourites, surely some mistake.

• Options
    SaltireSaltire Posts: 525
    Sean_F said:

Sounds a great success

Source?
    Found this from (no surprise) the Guardian
    http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/apr/16/tv-debate-pah-cameron-prefers-a-jolly-meet-and-greet-in-yorkshire
  • Options
    Mr. Jonnie, struck home? I'm not voting UKIP.

I am, however, off for the night. Goodnight, everyone.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    Oooo. Couple of Kippers on BBC.
  • Options
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

YouGov 10.30?
  • Options
  • Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108
    MP_SE said:

Oooo. Couple of Kippers on BBC.

One of the Kippers on BBC wants to vote SNP now.

Lulz.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

I've answered a poll on the debate for Survation, so I assume that'll be out tonight.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

MaxPB said:

YouGov 10.30?
    Nothing but repeats....
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245
    Sean_F said:

Sounds a great success

Source?
    Strangely he forgot to attribute it.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,910
    Who won the debate?
    Our Twitter poll results:
    Sturgeon: 54%
    Miliband: 20%
    Farage: 17.5%
    Wood: 4.5%
    Bennett: 4%

Bloody Hell.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

MaxPB said:

I've answered a poll on the debate for Survation, so I assume that'll be out tonight.
    Ladbrokes is settling on survation I think.
  • Options

James Chapman (Mail) @jameschappers

Audience member: 'I thought Nicola Sturgeon was great. I was going to vote Ukip.' #leadersdebate

LOL
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,983
    SNP dominate twitter, need to see a scientific poll
  • Options

MaxPB said:

YouGov 10.30?
    That's just the regular poll, not specific for the debate. People are betting on this but how will the winner be picked?
  • Options
    Nicola for PM!

:lol:
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    The Cameron thing where he got a bit of a hard time...once upon a time, that was called a normal day out campaigning, but these days hardly any politicians ever put themselves out there where they actually talk to an unfiltered audience with questions that haven't been vetted beforehand.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,600
    Sturgeon leading the BBC 10 o'clock news.......
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    Boulton: "Leaders of the five main political parties have just finished debating..."
  • Options
    Great segment for Miliband vs Sturgeon on BBC News at 10 introduction. Sturgeon looks very weak there.

(Not what I thought over the 90 minutes overall)
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

YouGov 10.30?
    That's just the regular poll, not specific for the debate. People are betting on this but how will the winner be picked?
    Survation for the Mirror.

• Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

YouGov 10.30?
    Oh sorry thought you meant "normal" polls!
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    Come on survation, get that poll out already. Everyone's getting antsy enough to start talking about twitter sentiment analysis as if it's a real thing
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

YouGov 10.30?
    Survation.

• Options
    TabmanTabman Posts: 1,046
    tyson said:

The loser is Cameron, of course. Even worse are the LD's who made themselves irrelevant- one step below loser, but I do not know how you can classify that.

AIUI the lib dems wanted to be there but we're prevented from attending. I'm not sure why though.
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    tyson said:

Absolutely baffling how their absence is to be explained. I wonder how many viewers thought they were excluded because they are now too minor a party to appear alongside big hitters like the Greens? 15%? 20%? Enough to damage them, anyway.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Who won the debate?

Bloody Hell.

And that is twitter for you...The media really should not be creating or quoting any sort of voodoo polls like this.
  • Options
    SaltireSaltire Posts: 525
    saddened said:

Sean_F said:

Sounds a great success

Source?
    I did find something similar from the Guardian. http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/apr/16/tv-debate-pah-cameron-prefers-a-jolly-meet-and-greet-in-yorkshire
  • Options
    I think the participants in all the debates in this campaign have done rather well. There hasn't been a complete disaster or meltdown.

Which makes Cameron and Clegg's decision to sit this one out even more questionable.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,279
    An excellent debate.

For the Cons.

The impression now is that the SNP want to run the UK on their terms. No wonder Ed said he wouldn't have a coalition with them. It wasn't enough. Ed came over as someone who was more done to than doing. Nicola was strong but Nige was right - plenty of Brits won't like what they heard Nicola saying.

Ed looks weak and those posters (with Salmond albeit) have never looked more acute.
  • Options

Nick Sutton ✔ @suttonnick

Friday's Guardian front page:
    Call for new Bradford fire inquiry
    #tomorrowspaperstoday #bbcpapers pic.twitter.com/THBjNQgIDV

• Options

Great segment for Miliband vs Sturgeon on BBC News at 10 introduction. Sturgeon looks very weak there.

Careful, they'll kick off about the BBC again.
  • Options
    BBC very very good for Ed.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642

Come on survation, get that poll out already. Everyone's getting antsy enough to start talking about twitter sentiment analysis as if it's a real thing

I cannot do any work until I know the results..........

The real loser tonight was the BBC. A real disgrace.
  • Options
    Guardian thinks the most important thing about tonights debate....that Farage thought the audience was bias.

I glad I missed if that was the telling moment.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Who won the debate?

Bloody Hell.

And that is twitter for you...The media really should not be creating or quoting any sort of voodoo polls like this.
    Did you hear the election anorak from Warsaw who moved to Haiti?

He became a Voodoo Pole!
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    MP_SE said:

The real loser tonight was the BBC. A real disgrace.

???????????????

• Options

Pro-Labour editing from the BBC? No real surprise, they might as well change their name to Labour Broadcast Service.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,096

Sounds a great success

Ed will be storming to victory if the 15% who walked out all vote for him.

In Leeds.

FFs....
  • Options
    bunncobunnco Posts: 169
    Good point from Toby Young over at The Telegraph: "Finally, the reason this was good for the Prime Minister is because it gave us a taste of the chaos that will ensue if Ed Miliband is in a position to form a government on May 8. This is what a “rainbow coalition” would look like – a weak Labour leader being pushed to the left by three anti-austerity party leaders."

Spot On.
  • Options
    IOS said:

BBC very very good for Ed.

Was that tonight, or last night, or the night before.I will predict tomorrow, the BBC very very good for Ed too.
  • Options
    Saltire said:

saddened said:

Sean_F said:

Sounds a great success

Source?
    I did find something similar from the Guardian. http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/apr/16/tv-debate-pah-cameron-prefers-a-jolly-meet-and-greet-in-yorkshire
    Thanks, it was either going to be them or the mirror
  • Options
    TwistedFireStopperTwistedFireStopper Posts: 2,538
    edited April 2015
    I'd make Sturgeon the clear winner, by a long way. Miliband didn't bomb, but didn't shine either, but on the whole, I'd guess he'd be happy. Farage was quite bold, I think, and won't have upset his core vote. Of the other two, Wood is pretty irrelevent, but did ok, and Bennett did better than I thought she would. Not really a game changer, but it gives Labour headlines to attack Cameron as a coward, so they'll be pleased.
  • Options
    bunnco said:

Good point from Toby Young over at The Telegraph: "Finally, the reason this was good for the Prime Minister is because it gave us a taste of the chaos that will ensue if Ed Miliband is in a position to form a government on May 8. This is what a “rainbow coalition” would look like – a weak Labour leader being pushed to the left by three anti-austerity party leaders."

Spot On.

"chaos" hasn't really taken hold as a thing in this campaign.
  • Options
    bunnco said:

Spot On.

Except the reason people fear the SNP is not because they're "anti-austerity". It's because people fear it would mean preferential treatment for Scotland and/or would pave the way for independence.
  • Options

Sounds a great success

Ed will be storming to victory if the 15% who walked out all vote for him.

In Leeds.

FFs....
    I saw something it was one person who walked out.

• Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,279
    Ishmael_X said:

tyson said:

Absolutely baffling how their absence is to be explained. I wonder how many viewers thought they were excluded because they are now too minor a party to appear alongside big hitters like the Greens? 15%? 20%? Enough to damage them, anyway.
    It allowed Ed & Nicola to show their cards. Nicola couldn't help herself but spell out the type of UK she is prepared to accept in order to support Lab while Ed had nowhere to run bar refusing the "offer".
  • Options
    BenM said:

bunnco said:

Spot On.

"chaos" hasn't really taken hold as a thing in this campaign.
    it has if your posts are any guide
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    As predictable as the Mirror....

You're not strong enough': Nightmare for Miliband as Sturgeon insists he cannot get to No.10 without her help

Do I need to quote the source?

And whatever Ed is on, I don't want any thanks...

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/04/16/20/27A49BC100000578-3042402-image-m-48_1429213684506.jpg
  • Options
    After the hype from tonight settles down the remaining three weeks of this campaign will boil down to the economy, the relationship between labour and the SNP, and Trident. The part on Trident from Sturgeon and Wood tanked indicating that Trident and the Country's security is very important at present. I have been saying this on this forum for weeks and I am certain that David Cameron and the conservatives will be homing in on this and in view of the generally negative response to UKIP may well secure many returning voters. Should think Desmond from the Express may have some concerns on his investment tonight
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @bbcnickrobinson: The Ed v Nicola show. My blog on the debate and why David Cameron will be pleased he wasn't there http://t.co/xPrnEmYpWM
  • Options
    saddened said:

Saltire said:

saddened said:

Sean_F said:

Sounds a great success

Source?
    Thanks, it was either going to be them or the mirror
    Googling finds the quotes under a mirror banner.
This discussion has been closed.