Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » There’s still a huge gap facing the Tories in England and W

1235»

Comments

• Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 51,088

Dr. Prasannan, but what does 'Prasannan' mean?

Mr Dancer, "Prasannan" means "the smiling one" :)

(and is actually my dad's given name)
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,439
    edited April 2015
    My London contact reckons the following:

Further down the list = More likely to drop.

Brent Central (Lab gain from LD)
    Hendon (Lab gain from Con)
    Hornsey & Wood Green (Lab gain from Con)
    Brentford & Isleworth (Lab gain from Con)
    Enfield North (Lab gain from Con)
    Ealing Central (Lab gain from Con)
    Old Southwark & Bermondsey (Lab gain from LD)
    Harrow East (Lab gain from Con)
    Enfield Southgate (Lab gain from Con)
    Ilford North (Lab gain from Con).

Con Holds: Finchley & Golders Green; Battersea.
  • BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    TGOHF said:

BenM said:

Sandpit said:

Interesting - swings between 0.5% and 5.5%. Con>Lab
    This is way too close to call.
    https://twitter.com/LordAshcroft/status/585818780204408832/photo/1

Better for the Tories the further out from London you go. Bit of an incumbency bonus showing through here for first time?
    Yes not bad for the Cons those polls - difficult to see Labour making those 50+ blue gains they need.
    agreed. Of the 4 they are losing 3 are within Labour's top 25 Tory targets and the other Harrow is going to be different due to London factors. At the same time Pudsey is within the top 25 and isn't going Labour's way. 30ish Lab gains from Tories could be the ceiling at the moment.

• DennisBetsDennisBets Posts: 244

Energy Price freeze, non dom tax crackdown, 50p rate of income tax

No wonder the Tories are thrashing about, Dave's same old line of keep it steady Ed's a bit of a drip is looking painfully exposed.

Labour are causing some serious ruptions which will appeal to everyday people in those grass root wards Labour need to win and the Tories know it.

S Thanet, Thurrock, Ilford N, Ipswich, Dudley's, Norwich

Cut away the Tory jeers and these are real policies for real people.

How will real people benefit by the Treasury losing money from this Non Dom change?

Its student union politics of making noise based on buzzwords without trying to be serious whatsoever.
    It's even more student union tripe if you just loudly shout down any benefit. I have not heard a convincing argument with any substance to suggest any real people will suffer.
    Just loud shouting from the same people who signed the letter as they didnt want their Yachts sold to pay for normal families
  • RobDRobD Posts: 59,573
    edited April 2015
    Sean_F said:

Mea culpa, a swing of 1.85% to Labour, compared to 2010.

That would net Labour c. 28 gains from the Conservatives.

So Labour basically unchanged, when the SNP are taken into account?
  • nigel4englandnigel4england Posts: 4,800
    BenM said:

No wonder the Tories are thrashing about, Dave's same old line of keep it steady Ed's a bit of a drip is looking painfully exposed.

Labour are causing some serious ruptions which will appeal to everyday people in those grass root wards Labour need to win and the Tories know it.

They are all utter bollocks, all three of them.

The Energy Price freeze is the quickest way to higher prices, the non dom thing has proved to be a fiasco within 24 hours and combined with the 50p tax hike will reduce the tax take, thus making less available for Labour to waste on the NHS.

If you want to punish people for getting on in life then vote for Ed, if you don't want to reduce the tax take then vote for anyone else.
    Nothing will lock in higher energy prices than lashing ourselves to fossil fuels, the policy of UKIP.

Outside the tiny Guido clique the non dom policy is a universal hit.

And the 50p rate will certainly raise revenues, when it is given a chance to do so rather than having its abolition conveniently pre-announced.

So that's 0/3 there - good going.
    None of those policies are coherent, workable and in the case of the last two they will probably lower the tax take.

I only score 0/3 if you want to punish people, I score 3/3 if you put country before party.
  • Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    How can Labour salvage the nondomnishambles? Rewrite history

@politicshome: Ed Balls tells BBC News his January non-dom comments about "people coming here for short periods of time", eg students and businesspeople.
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,523
    Dr. Prasannan, interesting naming approach.

According to nominative determinism, you should be a cheerful Conservative.
  • Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited April 2015

How will real people benefit by the Treasury losing money from this Non Dom change?

Its student union politics of making noise based on buzzwords without trying to be serious whatsoever.
    It's even more student union tripe if you just loudly shout down any benefit. I have not heard a convincing argument with any substance to suggest any real people will suffer.
    Just loud shouting from the same people who signed the letter as they didnt want their Yachts sold to pay for normal families
    "It will cost money" - That is a convincing and substantial cost.

Didn't realise Ed Balls didn't want his Yacht sold.
  • chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Harrow East (VI of voters who voted last time)

Con 190
    Lab 180

Labour seem to need first timers and 'couldn't be bothered in 2010' to turn up.

• anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    edited April 2015
    BenM said:

The Energy Price freeze is the quickest way to higher prices, the non dom thing has proved to be a fiasco within 24 hours and combined with the 50p tax hike will reduce the tax take, thus making less available for Labour to waste on the NHS.

If you want to punish people for getting on in life then vote for Ed, if you don't want to reduce the tax take then vote for anyone else.
    Nothing will lock in higher energy prices than lashing ourselves to fossil fuels, the policy of UKIP.
    Increasing the price of energy is the _objective_ of HMG energy policy, under both the current government and the previous Labour gov't.

The theory is that higher prices will change behaviour towards using less energy.
  • taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    Bus them in, if necessary.

If you look at ashcroft on whether people have been contacted by one party or the other, Labour are ahead in every constituency.

Given their available cash, the tories might be planning a very big, very late push. Or they are just inefficient/lazy...
  • Pulpstar said:

Hornsey & Wood Green (Lab gain from Con) rubbish
    edited April 2015
    Polls point towards Con most seats, but not by nearly enough.

Progressive forces > 323...
    This may or may not be of interest to some:

https://twitter.com/Sunil_P2/status/537044601065197569
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 33,040
    Pulpstar said:

This might sound a bit like aftertiming but I'm not surprised to see Morecambe and Lunesdale go back Labour - the NW is a strong area for them, think I'm on Blackpool and Stockton here but idk...

I'm avoiding Morecambe personally.

Probably wise. Still cold at this time of year!

I must say Ed’s steady series of “ideas" is, IMHO, making things unnecessarily difficult for himself. They often SOUND good, but a little thought ......

Taxing non-doms is probably the least bad.
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,759
    Pulpstar said:

I'd expect the Conservatives to hold both Southgate and Ilford North. I think Harrow East and Bermondsey are TCTC.
  • SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,757
    Scott_P said:

@politicshome: Ed Balls tells BBC News his January non-dom comments about "people coming here for short periods of time", eg students and businesspeople.

Eh? Students don't tend to have oversea's income, so non-dom doesn't impact upon them at all.
  • TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    edited April 2015
    Scott_P said:

He's such a prick.

How long would someone last in a job outside politics, with such an unerring ability to mangle reality?

Pulpstar said:

Hornsey & Wood Green (Lab gain from Con) rubbish
    Obvious error is obvious Lab Gain from Lib Dem :)
  • GrandioseGrandiose Posts: 2,323

BenM said:

And the 50p rate will certainly raise revenues, when it is given a chance to do so rather than having its abolition conveniently pre-announced.

None of those policies are coherent, workable and in the case of the last two they will probably lower the tax take.

I only score 0/3 if you want to punish people, I score 3/3 if you put country before party.
    They don't have to be workable or coherent, they have to look good for 48 hours. In substance here is little between government policy and Ed's comments about a review (rather than the headline grabbing "abolition") - David Gauke spoke of a reassessment and the levy came from the then Shadow Chancellor GO...
  • murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,067
    edited April 2015
    Sean_F said:

Mea culpa, a swing of 1.85% to Labour, compared to 2010.

That would net Labour c. 28 gains from the Conservatives.

Devastatingly low swing there...

As I said before, this is a poor set of marginal polls for Labour...

Dr. Prasannan, interesting naming approach.

According to nominative determinism, you should be a cheerful Conservative.

Mr. Dancer, you mean something like this:

"The Conservatives won (in aggregate) the wards making up Ilford North in the Redbridge Council local elections last year!"
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,860
    Plato said:

If you haven't had fun with this

I got 70% in the 'How Tory are you?' quiz. Take it here: t.co/BMshjFh8fK#SunNation via @SunNation
    Not bad for a Blairite!
  • DennisBetsDennisBets Posts: 244

Mr. Bets, the freezing of commodity prices was known to be foolishness which could lead to shortages or even famine in the 4th century AD (Ammianus Marcellinus lambasted Julian the Apostate, of whom he was generally in favour, for just such a policy).

Mr Dancer, energy companies take the piss, ask the electorate in all the marginals if that is true and they will say yes. Your irrelevant quote of ancient socioeconomics merely proves you live in a river punting lacrosse loving fantasy world.

The people voting and suffering in this election do not find this important, they worry about take home pay and outgoing expenses.
  • OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143

Hove looks odd with the double-digit (+10) jump in Labour vote. A bit fishy and out of kilter with the rest.

52% of 2010 Lib Dems switch to Labour in the Hove poll.

In a lot of the other seats Labour's advantage over the Tories in picking up 2010 Lib Dems is much narrower.
  • nigel4englandnigel4england Posts: 4,800
    Grandiose said:

BenM said:

They don't have to be workable or coherent, they have to look good for 48 hours. In substance here is little between government policy and Ed's comments about a review (rather than the headline grabbing "abolition") - David Gauke spoke of a reassessment and the levy came from the then Shadow Chancellor GO...
    The non dom bollocks didn't look good for 48 minutes
  • RobDRobD Posts: 59,573
    new thread
  • Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

The people voting and suffering in this election do not find this important, they worry about take home pay and outgoing expenses.

And Ed will reduce the former and increase the latter
  • DairDair Posts: 6,108
    edited April 2015
    #changethetune number one trending on twitter.

Kippers must be spitting bricks being shown to be part of the LibLabConKip.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,453

Scott_P said:

He's such a prick.

How long would someone last in a job outside politics, with such an unerring ability to mangle reality?
    He'd be a perfect marketeer.

Anyone who refers to him/her-self as a 'marketeer' should be the first against the wall.

I've had someone say this to me:
    "I'm not a salesman! I'm a marketeer!"
  • FloaterFloater Posts: 14,207
    BenM said:

BenM said:

Where's Scott N Paste?

tom bradby@tombradby · 2h 2 hours ago

Of this I am certain; by the end of the day, this will have cost the Tories votes.
    And they will be votes they can ill afford to lose.

Is that the Tom Brady who a few weeks ago said Dave's third term pledge would cost him votes and was the greatest strategic blunder since Carthage put Hannibal in charge of a large military force ?

That Tom Bradby?
    Bradby has committed heresy by attacking the tribe.

He must be shunned, pilloried and be made to pay!
    Actually, that sounds like Labour party behavior.
  • Mike: the seat numbers are missing from this page.
This discussion has been closed.