Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » There’s still a huge gap facing the Tories in England and W

SystemSystem Posts: 11,693
edited April 2015 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » There’s still a huge gap facing the Tories in England and Wales where almost all the key LAB-CON battlegrounds are

politicalbetting.com is proudly powered by WordPress
with "Neat!" theme. Entries (RSS) and Comments (RSS).

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Yeah, Ed is going to be PM soon.
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    Dave Can't Win Here.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @GuidoFawkes: #StayTuned We've run the BS detector over @edballsmp latest denial. Hard evidence coming... http://t.co/06CT5xGEDW
  • Options
    How long before Jim Murphy says all the non dom money will be spent in Scotland?
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    edited April 2015
    Tories are 6 clear in England with Comres and Ashcroft on the phones.

• Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    'The mother and father of all banana skins' - John Pienaar, Radio 5.
  • Options
    I liked this FPT
    @SunNation: #SunNation can reveal Labour has accepted nearly £12MILLION from wealthy non-dom donors: http://t.co/65QVxB3JGe http://t.co/5XixJzqFr5
    Scott_P said:

@GuidoFawkes: #StayTuned We've run the BS detector over @edballsmp latest denial. Hard evidence coming... http://t.co/06CT5xGEDW

• Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,655
    Assuming 55 seats to the Lab-SNP Jock-Bloc, that means 270 required in England and Wales for a majority.
  • Options
    @IsabelHardman: The mess Labour currently trying to unpick is collision between people thinking about politics and those thinking about economics
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,919
    edited April 2015
    Five years ago Gordon Brown couldn't make a speech on any subject without referring to "Lord Ashcroft the non-dom who bankrolls the Tories". If there was any revenue to be made from scrapping the status, then surely Brown would have taken the political advantage before the last election?
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,040
    This graphic clearly shows why the Tories can't win the election, but can Labour?
  • Options
    SMukeshSMukesh Posts: 1,650
    The Tories editing interviews,really!
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,942

Assuming 55 seats to the Lab-SNP Jock-Bloc, that means 270 required in England and Wales for a majority.

Don't Labour have 30 seats in Wales come hell or high water this election ?
  • Options
    @MrHarryCole: Even @LabourList turn on Shadow Chancellor: "Balls needs to explain why he warned against abolishing the status back in January"
  • Options
    How many seats do Labour currently have in England and Wales?

(Apologies for being lazy!)
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    TBH, I'm feeling a teeny bit sorry for Balls. Unless he pretended to EdM that he'd never given this intv, then it's EdM's campaign team who cocked up the right hand/left hand discussion.

Perhaps it's a new version of Poisoned Lasagne? Didn't it take Chelsea FC down once too?
    Scott_P said:

@MrHarryCole: Even @LabourList turn on Shadow Chancellor: "Balls needs to explain why he warned against abolishing the status back in January"

• Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Where's ICM and the other phone pollsters in this chart?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,526
    edited April 2015
    murali_s said:

• Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,758
    That graph really shows how over represented Wales is.

NI 100k people per seat
    England 99.4k people per seat
    Scotland 89.7k people per seat
    Wales 76.6 people per seat

technically Scotland should have 6 seats less and Wales 10 less.
  • Options

murali_s said:

Hmm, it's going to be a very BIG ask to get to 270/280 then!
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Scott_P said:

@IsabelHardman: The mess Labour currently trying to unpick is collision between people thinking about politics and those thinking about economics

Indeed. - Ed playing politics, he couldn't help sexing up his Non Dom policy announcement to capture the headlines and has now fallen foul of what his own shadow chancellor has stated quite recently. - Not quite the headlines Ed was hoping for. #whatashame
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,892
    edited April 2015
    If Labour have received 12 million from Non Doms then ed is definitely smarter than he looks. He gets all the kudos of shutting down a shocking loophole and he shows some financial acumen at the same time. What will the boy come up with next!
  • Options
    Shabana Mahmood seems to think that talking incessantly somehow constitutes saying something on the Daily Politics. Clueless.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    The non-dom news is playing to two themes.

Labour believe in fairness, but they are economically gormless.
  • Options
    Oh dear. Labour Bod on DP getting eaten alive by Mr Neil "Why do you come on here without doing your homework first?"
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    murali_s said:

murali_s said:

Assuming you hold onto 10 Scottish seats, you're looking at 53 gains.

I think you'll get 8 from the Lib Dems in England & Wales, which means 45 gains from the Tories in England.
  • Options
    @MrHarryCole: Ed Balls hiding behind Shabana Mahmood, who is currently getting machine gunned on #BBCDP #NonDomnishambles
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Roger said:

If Labour have received 12 million from Non Doms then ed is definitely smarter than he looks. He gets all the kudos of shutting down a shocking loophole and he shows some financial acumen at the same time. What will the boy come up with next!

Bankers bonus bedroom zero hours tax non dom levy on expensive caravans?
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    CD13 said:

The non-dom news is playing to two themes.

Labour believe in fairness, but they are economically gormless.

And the Tories are going on the Economy.

Clear lines.

• Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,856

Overall, on average, the Conservatives are probably 2-3% ahead in England and Wales. but that's still some distance from where they need to be.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    Roger said:

LOL...good trolling.
  • Options
    CCHQ Press Office @CCHQPress
    .@ShabanaMahmood can't name ONE of the "number of sources" who say nom-dom policy will raise "hundreds of millions of pounds" #bbcdp
    Scott_P said:

@MrHarryCole: Ed Balls hiding behind Shabana Mahmood, who is currently getting machine gunned on #BBCDP #NonDomnishambles

• Options
    @CCHQPress: .@edballsmp really threw @ShabanaMahmood under the bus here #bbcdp #BallsUp
  • Options
    Car crash interview on Daily Politics.
  • Options
    JonCisBackJonCisBack Posts: 911

That graph really shows how over represented Wales is.

NI 100k people per seat
    England 99.4k people per seat
    Scotland 89.7k people per seat
    Wales 76.6 people per seat

technically Scotland should have 6 seats less and Wales 10 less.

For which we can blame the Liberal Democrats. They welched on the boundaries agreement using some fig leaf excuse about not agreeing to Clegg's insane 15 year single term elected House of Lords or something. In reality they realised they would get fewer MPs of course...
  • Options

murali_s said:

murali_s said:

Assuming you hold onto 10 Scottish seats, you're looking at 53 gains.

I think you'll get 8 from the Lib Dems in England & Wales, which means 45 gains from the Tories in England.
    Which is close to what current polling would suggest (subject to any first time incumbency effect).
  • Options
    Roger said:

You're so right Roger. It's all playing out brilliantly, just as Ed and Ed planned. They are no doubt fist-pumping and punching the air as we speak. Cameron must rue his lack of Ed's intellectual self confidence today!

We've yet to have a really huge cock up from Killer Burnham in this campaign. Maybe that'll be the token mis-step in Labour's otherwise gloriously coherent and assured pitch.
  • Options
    now
    Ⓑeeb Ⓑashes Ⓒons @BBCPropaganda
    How to be interviewed by @afneil: repeat the script until he runs out of time and look for another job just in case..#BBCDP
  • Options
    I'm surprised Harry Cole gets so much coverage on here. He seems a bit of a niche market.
  • Options
    Andrew Neil doing a superb job.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Categorically - "We are abolishing the rule" ... "an abolition of the status" - on the Daily Politics
  • Options
    @steve_hawkes: Shabana Mahmood "We are abolishing non-dom rule" - another change in policy
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    I've been working on the magic number

If Lab + SNP + LD + SDLP +Greens + PC = 320

So I reckon Lab only needs 240 seats to make Ed PM (assuming 45 SNP and 30 Lib Dems)

Currently they are on 258, allowing for a shellacking in Scotland, that puts them on 227, so they only need to make 5 odd gains from the Tories (allowing for 8 gains from the Lib Dems) to make Ed PM.
  • Options
    lolandollolandol Posts: 35
    May2015.com has a forecast where Labour are ahead of Tories by 33.9 to 33.6 but Tories lead Labour by 6 on seats. Is this really possible or likely?!
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    Does labour getting crushed on the BBC show the dear old corporation is not biased after all?
  • Options
    FernandoFernando Posts: 145
    As a tactic it is only successful if it is believable and consistently held. Labour have defended the status in the past and indeed very recently, so the Party can hardly be seen as consistent. Is it believable? Well, it is very debatable whether abolishing a status which delivers as much as 90k per ND to HMRC for minimal effort is less effective than trying to ascertain the worldwide earnings of often secretive foreigners who can just move offshore.

The UK might be unique in incorporating non-dom status into its tax system, but plenty of other countries allow foreigners to reside there and not pay any tax on their foreign earnings. Switzerland is a notable example. At least, thanks to Osborne, we impose a levy.
  • Options
    Mr Neil is one of the few who don't show any bias. He kills all of them.
    taffys said:

Does labour getting crushed on the BBC show the dear old corporation is not biased after all?

• Options

So I reckon Lab only needs 240 seats to make Ed PM (assuming 45 SNP and 30 Lib Dems)

Currently they are on 258, allowing for a shellacking in Scotland, that puts them on 227, so they only need to make 20 odd gains from the Tories (allowing for 8 gains from the Lib Dems) to make Ed PM.

That would be a remarkably shaky government. Should we assume the Lib Dems will automatically side with Labour?
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039

Currently they are on 258, allowing for a shellacking in Scotland, that puts them on 227, so they only need to make 20 odd gains from the Tories (allowing for 8 gains from the Lib Dems) to make Ed PM.

Really? A complete rainbow making 320 does not Ed PM make.
  • Options

So I reckon Lab only needs 240 seats to make Ed PM (assuming 45 Nats and 30 Lib Dems)

Currently they are on 258, allowing for a shellacking in Scotland, that puts them on 217, so they only need to make 30 odd gains from the Tories (allowing for 8 gains from the Lib Dems) to make Ed PM.

That'd be a terribly shambolic rainbow coalition.

Allowing 3 for Sinn Fein and 9 for DUP that leaves 318 left, presumably almost all Con.

Con minority or Con+LD is more likely.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,055
    taffys said:

Shhuushhh, mention BBC political bias and SO will produce a document about the use of paperclips ...
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664

Categorically - "We are abolishing the rule" ... "an abolition of the status" - on the Daily Politics

That will turn out to be a partial quote, edited by the tories.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,711
    taffys said:

no, just that labour are utterly utterly crap.
  • Options
    taffys said:

No it just shows how its a truly shambolic policy.
  • Options
    Good rebuttal Coalition backing from Simon Hughes. I do like him.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,711

Currently they are on 258, allowing for a shellacking in Scotland, that puts them on 227, so they only need to make 5 odd gains from the Tories (allowing for 8 gains from the Lib Dems) to make Ed PM.

Ed PM on a third of the seats? That would be.....brave
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,994
    Mr. Eagles, how many blue seats in that scenario?
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

That would be a remarkably shaky government. Should we assume the Lib Dems will automatically side with Labour?
    I was chatting to a Lib Dem last night, and he said to me the numbers would force the Lib Dems to go into government, they would argue to ensure a stable government.

It wouldn't be a five year coalition, maybe a 2 year coalition, with a break clause.

I forgot to add the DUP into that as well, they will back whomever will offer them enough pork, and the Northern Emerald Islanders are cheap, relatively speaking
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Ps I'm surprised anyone thinks it's even interesting to a bored public what Balls said. If the Tories hadn't replaced the brilliant Hilton they wouldn't be chasing odd afterthoughts that wouldn't make the Huntingdon Gazette. The story is non Doms not what someone said once
  • Options

Just under 300.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    Sean_F said:

If Clegg survives in Hallam (a big if) and the LDs get 30+ seats (another big if) you can see a situation where there's a continued coalition if the numbers are right. Without Clegg as leader it would probably be more difficult.

For those numbers to work out the LDs need to be a lot more successful in their defences against LAB than some of the Ashcroft polling suggests

This after all would be the incumbent government.

• Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    Afternoon all and a very selective groups of polls there, i.e. the ones which consistently show Labour leads Survation and Populus, both of whom will still be recording Labour leads as David Cameron walks back into No 10 on 8th May.

Look at the seats. When Labour was roughly 5%+ ahead in the polls, Ashcroft was showing Labour only capable of taking 39 Tory seats. Mood music on the ground is indicating the Tories are doing better in some of these seats than the polls would suggest. Only last night on the TV news, Stockton South was reported to be stronger for the Tories and if the Tories are possibly holding their 6th most marginal seat, where is Labour's 55 gains going to come from?
  • Options
    Just to prove I'm not the only politico obsessed with putting in musical references

http://tinyurl.com/L1ckMyLovePump
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,994
    Mr. Eagles, could be a bit 1950-51.
  • Options
    Ed Balls @eddbaIlsmp
    For clarity. Our policies are fluid, they change and evolve. Next week we may decide to leave the EU or not give away free owls. #BallsUp
  • Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    @Roger
    You really need to stop arguing with the blue boys and girls.
    They have the wisdom of Con Home, Guido, and the right wing press on their side, so obviously they are the true measure of how the country thinks.
    (or not? DYOR)
  • Options
    Roger said:

Ps I'm surprised anyone thinks it's even interesting to a bored public what Balls said. If the Tories hadn't replaced the brilliant Hilton they wouldn't be chasing odd afterthoughts that wouldn't make the Huntingdon Gazette. The story is non Doms not what someone said once

The story is the apparent disconnect between the LOTO and Shadow Chancellor, and policy chaos at the top of the Labour Party.
  • Options

Really? A complete rainbow making 320 does not Ed PM make.
    I'd be flabbergasted if both the 226-250 band and Ed Mili PM bets came in,

SNP + PC + SDLP + Green + Labour + Respect -> 323 is Ed PM, any less is not.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382

Afternoon all and a very selective groups of polls there, i.e. the ones which consistently show Labour leads Survation and Populus, both of whom will still be recording Labour leads as David Cameron walks back into No 10 on 8th May.

Look at the seats. When Labour was roughly 5%+ ahead in the polls, Ashcroft was showing Labour only capable of taking 39 Tory seats. Mood music on the ground is indicating the Tories are doing better in some of these seats than the polls would suggest. Only last night on the TV news, Stockton South was reported to be stronger for the Tories and if the Tories are possibly holding their 6th most marginal seat, where is Labour's 55 gains going to come from?

If you want other polls I'll update this as they come in. I've made last Thursday's debate the cut-off point.

You have form on wildly exaggerating the Tory position. I could post links to some of you articles ahead of GE2010.

• Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039

Just under 300.
    How many Kippers?!
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    From the Sun:

"Labour's non-dom donors include: (will EdM have a conscience and instrcu payment the tax avoided)?

Lord Gulam Noon who has donated £882,326 to the Labour Party, including £116,000 under Ed Miliband. He was a non-dom until April 2010, when he was appointed to a senior fundraising role in the Labour Party.

Lakshmi Mittal has donated £5.1 million to the Labour Party. He is a British citizen but has non-dom status He is a British citizen – but has non-dom status.

Sri Lankan-born business tycoon Sir Christopher Ondaatje has donated £1.7 million to the Labour Party .

Mahmoud Khayami, an Iranian-born car manufacturing boss, has donated £835,000 to the Labour Party.

Hedge fund tycoon William Bollinger also donated £510,000 to the Labour Party while a non-dom."

Also on Zero hours contracts:

68 Labour MPs have employees on these contracts.
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @Scott_P

'@MrHarryCole: Ed Balls hiding behind Shabana Mahmood, who is currently getting machine gunned on #BBCDP #NonDomnishambles'

Balls f_cks up and then hides behind the office junior.
  • Options
    I noticed a silly campaign just intended to annoy Labourites by purchasing Maggie's Battle Bus.

The Sun really do want to get under their skin this time.
    Financier said:

From the Sun:

"Labour's non-dom donors include: (will EdM have a conscience and instrcu payment the tax avoided)?

Lord Gulam Noon who has donated £882,326 to the Labour Party, including £116,000 under Ed Miliband. He was a non-dom until April 2010, when he was appointed to a senior fundraising role in the Labour Party.

Lakshmi Mittal has donated £5.1 million to the Labour Party. He is a British citizen but has non-dom status He is a British citizen – but has non-dom status.

Sri Lankan-born business tycoon Sir Christopher Ondaatje has donated £1.7 million to the Labour Party .

Mahmoud Khayami, an Iranian-born car manufacturing boss, has donated £835,000 to the Labour Party.

Hedge fund tycoon William Bollinger also donated £510,000 to the Labour Party while a non-dom."

Also on Zero hours contracts:

68 Labour MPs have employees on these contracts.

• Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,362
    Anybody else note the YouGov methodology change commencing with last night's poll (Lab 2% lead)?
  • Options

Yeah, Ed is going to be PM soon.

"Don't be a silly boy! There's nothing to be afraid of!"
  • Options
    Just watching the Daily Politics. They had 3 undecided voters near Truro. One was considering Con or UKIP, one was considering UKIP or Green and the third was considering Green or Con. Must be worrying for the LDs they couldn't find anyone considering them in Cornwall.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

They were sent off for contradictory evidence

Confuses the message, y'see
  • Options
    Clash's GarageLand comes to mind. "Back in my garage with my bulls*it detector"

Guido
    #StayTuned We've run the BS detector over @edballsmp latest denial. Hard evidence coming...
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Part-ELBOW for this week so far - um, just the two polls: YouGov and Populus.

Anyway, Labour suddenly back to a 1.6% lead! Last time they had an end-of-week lead of 1.6% was 18th January!

https://twitter.com/Sunil_P2/status/585149148980187136
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    Financier said:

Hedge fund tycoon William Bollinger.

A name that you just couldn't make up :)
  • Options
    prh47bridgeprh47bridge Posts: 441
    Roger said:

What exactly is this "shocking loophole"?

As I understand it a non-dom pays tax in the normal way on income they earn in the UK and any foreign income they bring to the UK. They do not pay tax on income they earn outside the UK if they don't bring the money to the UK (and hence cannot spend it in the UK). However, if they earn more than £2,000pa outside the UK they lose their personal allowance and pay an annual charge of £30k or £50k. Alternatively they can opt to pay UK tax on that income which they may be able to reclaim on the basis that they have been taxed twice - both in the UK and in the country where the income was earned.

I may be missing something but I don't see any shocking loopholes there.
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @Roger

'The story is non Doms not what someone said once'

The story is about the two clowns at the top of the Labour party.
  • Options
    JEOJEO Posts: 3,656
    The non-domicile issue is a smart one for Ed Miliband to play, and disastrous to the Conservatives. Our great weakness is that we're seen as the party of the rich. Forcing us to defend giving some very rich British citizens a better tax regime than others is never going to go down well with the vast majority of the public. It is intuitively unfair and anything intuitively unfair is a killer when you're out canvassing.
  • Options

Stockton South has been tipped up as a Tory hold on here for a while, but there are alot of constituencies which... haven't been amongst the marginals. The Con holds are the exception, not the Lab gain rule.

1. North Warwickshire Majority 54 (0.1%)
    3. Thurrock Majority 92 (0.2%)
    4. Hendon Majority 106 (0.2%)
    6. Cardiff North Majority 194 (0.4%)
    7. Sherwood Majority 214 (0.4%)
    9. Broxtowe Majority 389 (0.7%)
    10. Lancaster & Fleetwood Majority 333 (0.8%)
    13. Amber Valley Majority 536 (1.2%)
    14. Waveney Majority 769 (1.5%)
    15. Wolverhampton South West Majority 691 (1.7%)
    18. Carlisle Majority 853 (2%)
    19. Stroud Majority 1299 (2.2%)
    20. Weaver Vale Majority 991 (2.3%)
    21. Lincoln Majority 1058 (2.3%)
    23. Plymouth Sutton & Devonport Majority 1149 (2.6%)
    24. Dewsbury Majority 1526 (2.8%)
    25. Warrington South Majority 1553 (2.8%)
    26. Bedford Majority 1353 (3%)
    27. Brighton, Kemptown Majority 1328 (3.1%)
    29. Corby Majority 1895 (3.5%)
    31. Brentford & Isleworth Majority 1958 (3.6%)
    32. Hove Majority 1868 (3.8%)
    33. Enfield North Majority 1692 (3.8%)
    34. Hastings & Rye Majority 1993 (4%)
    36. Ipswich Majority 2079 (4.4%)
    37. Halesowen & Rowley Regis Majority 2023 (4.6%)
    38. Nuneaton Majority 2069 (4.6%)

Are all favoured to be won by Labour - We notice the likes of Stockton as they are the exception rather than the rule.

You can push further down the list in the Northwest and London too.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    ....but Harry Cole said...and Andrew Neil said.......and what about the BBC.........and Jon Piennar...... For heavens sake if your ships going down show some dignity!
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351

Roger,

"Ps I'm surprised anyone thinks it's even interesting to a bored public what Balls said."

I agree that these sort of minor blips are are irrelevant but it seems to excite the political journalists. And to be honest, if has been a Tory blip, Labour would have been all over it and chuckling with glee too.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,452

Sean_F said:

I was chatting to a Lib Dem last night, and he said to me the numbers would force the Lib Dems to go into government, they would argue to ensure a stable government.

It wouldn't be a five year coalition, maybe a 2 year coalition, with a break clause.

I forgot to add the DUP into that as well, they will back whomever will offer them enough pork, and the Northern Emerald Islanders are cheap, relatively speaking
    Under that scenario, the Tories would actually be up on their 2010 seat share at 308 seats (-5 to Labour, + 9 from Lib Dems, - 3 to UKIP)

I can't see anyone else becoming Prime Minister than Cameron if he achieves that.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    JEO said:

The non-domicile issue is a smart one for Ed Miliband to play, and disastrous to the Conservatives. Our great weakness is that we're seen as the party of the rich. Forcing us to defend giving some very rich British citizens a better tax regime than others is never going to go down well with the vast majority of the public. It is intuitively unfair and anything intuitively unfair is a killer when you're out canvassing.

Fortunately, there doesn't seem to be any need to defend it yet. Labour are doing just fine on their own.
  • Options

They are lazy b*ggers!
  • Options

Part-ELBOW for this week so far - um, just the two polls: YouGov and Populus.

Anyway, Labour suddenly back to a 1.6% lead! Last time they had an end-of-week lead of 1.6% was 18th January!

https://twitter.com/Sunil_P2/status/585149148980187136

A few more healthy Labour leads and the faithful here will be getting jittery....
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

Just watching the Daily Politics. They had 3 undecided voters near Truro. One was considering Con or UKIP, one was considering UKIP or Green and the third was considering Green or Con. Must be worrying for the LDs they couldn't find anyone considering them in Cornwall.

Considering Conservative or UKIP I can understand, but the world view that leads to UKIP or Green, or even Conservative or Green, leaves me lost. Perhaps the Green candidate is family or something.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,452

Just under 300.
    292-302 Tory seats is the "grey zone", where they could remain in office depending on how post-election coalition negotiations pan-out.

At the lower end, it'd require Ed Miliband to fail to stitch together any realistic coalition. At the top end, it'd require the Conservative party or Liberal Democrats to actively scupper it.
  • Options
    Everyone get their polling cards yet?
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    edited April 2015
    BBC News at One leading on Labour's apparent contradiction on non-doms. What a balls up.
  • Options

Just under 300.
    292-302 Tory seats is the "grey zone", where they could remain in office depending on how post-election coalition negotiations pan-out.

At the lower end, it'd require Ed Miliband to fail to stitch together any realistic coalition. At the top end, it'd require the Conservative party or Liberal Democrats to actively scupper it.
    The spreads are currently predicting a Westminster never never land :D
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    Smukesh..The Tories definitely did not edit the BBC version..it is uncut..So Balls is adding lying to his spin today
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Stockton South has been tipped up as a Tory hold on here for a while, but there are alot of constituencies which... haven't been amongst the marginals. The Con holds are the exception, not the Lab gain rule.

1. North Warwickshire Majority 54 (0.1%)
    3. Thurrock Majority 92 (0.2%)
    4. Hendon Majority 106 (0.2%)
    6. Cardiff North Majority 194 (0.4%)
    7. Sherwood Majority 214 (0.4%)
    9. Broxtowe Majority 389 (0.7%)
    10. Lancaster & Fleetwood Majority 333 (0.8%)
    13. Amber Valley Majority 536 (1.2%)
    14. Waveney Majority 769 (1.5%)
    15. Wolverhampton South West Majority 691 (1.7%)
    18. Carlisle Majority 853 (2%)
    19. Stroud Majority 1299 (2.2%)
    20. Weaver Vale Majority 991 (2.3%)
    21. Lincoln Majority 1058 (2.3%)
    23. Plymouth Sutton & Devonport Majority 1149 (2.6%)
    24. Dewsbury Majority 1526 (2.8%)
    25. Warrington South Majority 1553 (2.8%)
    26. Bedford Majority 1353 (3%)
    27. Brighton, Kemptown Majority 1328 (3.1%)
    29. Corby Majority 1895 (3.5%)
    31. Brentford & Isleworth Majority 1958 (3.6%)
    32. Hove Majority 1868 (3.8%)
    33. Enfield North Majority 1692 (3.8%)
    34. Hastings & Rye Majority 1993 (4%)
    36. Ipswich Majority 2079 (4.4%)
    37. Halesowen & Rowley Regis Majority 2023 (4.6%)
    38. Nuneaton Majority 2069 (4.6%)

Are all favoured to be won by Labour - We notice the likes of Stockton as they are the exception rather than the rule.

You can push further down the list in the Northwest and London too.
    Any reason why Stockton South would be a Tory hold? The MP there is a nasty little oink who has links with war-criminals.
  • Options

Considering Conservative or UKIP I can understand, but the world view that leads to UKIP or Green, or even Conservative or Green, leaves me lost. Perhaps the Green candidate is family or something.
    UKIP or Green makes perfect sense. Protest vote or protest vote.
  • Options
    ukelectukelect Posts: 106
    lolandol said:

May2015.com has a forecast where Labour are ahead of Tories by 33.9 to 33.6 but Tories lead Labour by 6 on seats. Is this really possible or likely?!

Possible - yes. Likely - no. Few models will produce that result with that data.
  • Options
    TabmanTabman Posts: 1,046
    Sean_F said:

No. Over my dead body etc etc.

This discussion has been closed.