Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Tonight’s Scottish debate was superb – the question now is

Comments

• Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @ScottyNational: Tomorrow's Headlines: Secret poll from months ago shows Sturgeon won the debate tonight but Westminster won't release it.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

http://news.sky.com/story/1460548/labour-would-abolish-non-dom-tax-status "a spokesman for Ed. Milliband said 'UK citizens should pay tax on all gains, anywhere in the world'". Which if correct means it wouldn't apply to the likes of Lakshmi Mittal as he is not a British citizen, and presumably wouldn't bother to become one either.

Wait to see if Tony B is still 100% behind Ed when he gets his tax bill...
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    edited April 2015
    Still think Tories are heavy favourites, but they're going to have to come up with something atleast a bit more positive than saying "Ed is crap" everyday. It doesn't contrast well with Labour actually putting forward new ideas and positive proposals (regardless of whether people think they're good or not).
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,336
    edited April 2015
    TGOHF said:

Looks like it's only British non doms that are being targeted....

@Samfr: This looks like the crucial paragraph in the "Labour to scrap non-dom status story" http://t.co/O2P8Kuh3av http://t.co/gRukZlTraZ

Unraveling....

Not that it will matter as Ed gets the headlines he wants and the BBC will get super excited and scream ASSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHCROFT all day. Job done.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    currystar said:

If the non Dom thing is such a great idea why has no one ended it before?

Tony Blair promised it in 97

Number went up after that
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,043

Result

NS 55%
    JM 36%
    RD 8%
    WR 1%

F-ing joke result - lol

O_O

Ruth Davidson on 8% O______________________o ?!
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Non Dom....bedroom tax.......zero hours......will they ever run out of diversionary 1% tactics?

How about jobs, interest rates, inflation, taxes on ordinary people...
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    @scotslass

I am not surprised by the sainted Nicola - she looks and sounds the best.

I am only surprised by the poor result for Davidson. I thought she was a clear second. However the Tories are toxic.

I like the SNP but we all know who won tonights debate and it wasn't our Nicola.
  • Options

@scotslass

I am only surprised by the poor result for Davidson. I thought she was a clear second. However the Tories are toxic.

I like the SNP but we all know who won tonights debate and it wasn't our Nicola.

Amazed Ruth didn't get 16%, how big is the sample - Under-representation of Scottish Tories ?
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Still think Tories are heavy favourites, but they're going to have to come up with something atleast a bit more positive than saying "Ed is crap" everyday. It doesn't contrast well with Labour actually putting forward new ideas and positive proposals (regardless of whether people think they're good or not).

Favourites for most seats, not for Dave to remain PM imo.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,953
    Utterly dreadful polls for the Tores today.

Cameron looking like a loser...
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,255

http://news.sky.com/story/1460548/labour-would-abolish-non-dom-tax-status "a spokesman for Ed. Milliband said 'UK citizens should pay tax on all gains, anywhere in the world'". Which if correct means it wouldn't apply to the likes of Lakshmi Mittal as he is not a British citizen, and presumably wouldn't bother to become one either.

Hold on...isn't that the issue with most non-doms that live here? The opposite way around i.e they don't live here, could they just not give up their British Citizenship?

And that isn't what the headlines infers.
    Making UK citizens pay tax on all their worldwide earnings is very similar to the rule for US citizens. But remember that there are double taxation treaties in place so to the extent that tax has already been paid in, say , Italy, the amount of additional tax due in the UK may be zero or negligible.

Tax residency and tax domicile are complicated concepts. I don't know how easy it would be to change these but broadly I agree that people living In the UK should pay tax here. But I think that the number of non-doms living here is not so large that taxing them - on what precisely? - will raise huge amounts. It's all about the mood music and on that may be successful.

Anyone thinking that ordinary people won't be taxed, taxed and taxed some more if Labour form the government needs their head examined. Labour are being utterly dishonest in pretending that all their spending will be paid for by taxes on bankers, non-doms and mansions.

It will be Mr and Mrs Average, their savings, pension and no 32 Acacia Avenue who will pay, as they always do.

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

@scotslass

Amazed Ruth didn't get 16%, how big is the sample - Under-representation of Scottish Tories ?
    Just proves the tories are still hated up there,if Davidson was labour leader tonight ,she proberly be on 70 to 80% ;-)

• Options
    SaltireSaltire Posts: 525
    Scott_P said:

@iainmartin1: Twitter full of desperate Nats saying Sturgeon won debate. It's that cult thing again. Even when leader loses, claim victory. Creepy.

Can't remember who said it on TV recently but they described the SNP as a movement rather than a political party and it does feel like that up here now. Disagreeing with some members of the movement about anything the SNP has done/proposed can sometimes feel like a risky thing to do.
    It is hard to see their level of activity decreasing before the 2016 election and onwards to what feels like the inevitable indyref II in 2019...
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,029
    Saltire said:

Scott_P said:

@iainmartin1: Twitter full of desperate Nats saying Sturgeon won debate. It's that cult thing again. Even when leader loses, claim victory. Creepy.

Can't remember who said it on TV recently but they described the SNP as a movement rather than a political party and it does feel like that up here now. Disagreeing with some members of the movement about anything the SNP has done/proposed can sometimes feel like a risky thing to do.
    It is hard to see their level of activity decreasing before the 2016 election and onwards to what feels like the inevitable indyref II in 2019...
    The Spectator had a blog on the SNP conference which reached a similar conclusion.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Na, Tories too busy drinking fine wine in the Alps to reply to pollsters.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

@scotslass

Just proves the tories are still hated up there,if Davidson was labour leader tonight ,she proberly be on 70 to 80% ;-)

It'd be funny if that is the Scottish Exit poll - Taxi for Carmichael !
  • Options
    currystarcurrystar Posts: 1,171
    GIN1138 said:

Why does he look like a loser?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,260
    Purseybear But he ended up with 29%, most polls had a Blair led party getting over 30%
  • Options
    scotslassscotslass Posts: 912

The Sunday Times Best Seller List

1)The Dream Shall Never Die; 100 Days That Changed Scotland Forever.
    Salmond, Alex
    £11.69£12.99

2) The Road Beneath My Feet.
    Turner, Frank
    £20.00

3) Reasons to Stay Alive.
    Haig, Matt
    £9.49£9.99

4) Landmarks.
    Macfarlane, Robert
    £16.00£20.00

5) Tom Jones - The Life.
    Smith, Sean
    £7.59£7.99

Just noticed this. This is the UK list. Seems all these attacks on Salmond are boosting his book sales!
  • Options
    compouter2compouter2 Posts: 2,371
    GIN1138 said:

Yes but Ed is Crap remember add that to the January crossover and the February pulling away, add in the RC swingback and the Tory majority is nailed on. DYOR!!!!
  • Options
    OT. The sportingindex ads on here state that 'losses may exceed deposits'. Do they send around the debt collectors if this happens?
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,255
    Danny565 said:

I don't know why the Tories are favourites. To the extent I've followed the election (to be frank, hardly at all as too busy with other matters), the Tories seem to be half asleep, EdM is not as bad as everyone (not me) thought he would be and the Lib Dems are nowhere. It rather feels as if the most interesting stuff is happening in Scotland.

• Options

GIN1138 said:

Yes but Ed is Crap remember add that to the January crossover and the February pulling away, add in the RC swingback and the Tory majority is nailed on. DYOR!!!!
    I thought it was nov 2014 crossover ;-)

• Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    edited April 2015
    Cyclefree said:

Hold on...isn't that the issue with most non-doms that live here? The opposite way around i.e they don't live here, could they just not give up their British Citizenship?

And that isn't what the headlines infers.
    Making UK citizens pay tax on all their worldwide earnings is very similar to the rule for US citizens. But remember that there are double taxation treaties in place so to the extent that tax has already been paid in, say , Italy, the amount of additional tax due in the UK may be zero or negligible.

Tax residency and tax domicile are complicated concepts. I don't know how easy it would be to change these but broadly I agree that people living In the UK should pay tax here. But I think that the number of non-doms living here is not so large that taxing them - on what precisely? - will raise huge amounts. It's all about the mood music and on that may be successful.

Anyone thinking that ordinary people won't be taxed, taxed and taxed some more if Labour form the government needs their head examined. Labour are being utterly dishonest in pretending that all their spending will be paid for by taxes on bankers, non-doms and mansions.

It will be Mr and Mrs Average, their savings, pension and no 32 Acacia Avenue who will pay, as they always do.

Its the dishonesty that gets me. There is a case (a LD one) that we have to raise taxes in order to fund publicservices, but Labour does not make that case. It wants to increase spending, but finance it by borrowing from our children rather than honest taxes on hard working ordinary people. Just fundamentally dishonest.

Seeing Blair on telly today was like seeing a zombie at the window clawing to try to get through. I fell for him 20 years ago, and joined the party, but left a decade ago as he lied to start wars and privatised parts of the NHS. Soon we will see Brown, that other zombie, trying to claw his way in to eat our brains.
  • Options
    RobD said:

OT. The sportingindex ads on here state that 'losses may exceed deposits'. Do they send around the debt collectors if this happens?

Yes
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,404
    Saltire said:

Disagreeing with some members of the movement about anything the SNP has done/proposed can sometimes feel like a risky thing to do.

What evidence outside your timidity do you have for that?

• Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753

Of course it is, but dave and co. are nowhere near aggressive enough in saying this. The contrast with Davidson couldn;t be starker.

Where is the fury at labour's hypocrisy and lies? Where is the pride at the economic achievements? where are the dire warnings of what will happen under labour?

Non existent.

Why? because this is always the problem with 'progressive' tories. In their heart of hearts, they think labour might be right.
  • Options
    Scot P

Iain Martin! God preserve us. The man who buried the Hootsman as Andrew Neils wee boy. I now realise that your views are not your fault but those of the company you keep on line.

The only survey of the results debate confirms my view of Nicola as a clear winner. I thought Murphy should ahve been fourth. He was rated second. I would ask for a recount if I were Davidson because she was a good second in my opinion. I accept that Rennie could have been fourth.

However it should be the NATS who are smiling and it does not matter a jot what the Torygraph or Iain bloody Martin says.
  • Options
    RobD said:

I'll find out if the Greens get 200 seats at the GE.
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850
    Saltire said:

Scott_P said:

By which time hopefully Scotland will have grown some bollocks and demonstrate it's not just all mouth and no trousers and actually vote for independence, so that we English have to suffer its posturing and politics no more.

Yours,
    Evil Southern England
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    currystar said:

GIN1138 said:

Because the polls aren't moving and the Tories apparently have nothing to say on anything (other than Ed's crap)

Actually, the Tory campaign so far has been so utterly dismal that you'd struggle to guess there IS an election campaign going on...

On the basis of today's polls Cameron will get the sack in a months time... Cameron and Osborne = Total waste of space!
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380

Tommy Ball ‏@tommy_ball 15 mins15 minutes ago
    Michael Gove on #Newsnight: "in a Scottish Labour/SNP marginal seat, I ask you to vote Scottish Labour, who believe in the United Kingdom".

SNPout

Really? Interesting.
  • Options

Saltire said:

Scott_P said:

By which time hopefully Scotland will have grown some bollocks and demonstrate it's not just all mouth and no trousers and actually vote for independence, so that we English have to suffer its posturing and politics no more.

Yours,
    Evil Southern England
    Absolutely! I can't see how sturgeon telling the world on live tv that she will put milliband in Downing street will help labours vote in England. If it happens it will be a disaster for the uk as the money tree will have disappeared but at least it will be funny.
  • Options

Nick Sutton ✔ @suttonnick

Wednesday's Times front page:
    Miliband raids rich in purge of non-doms
    #tomorrowspaperstoday #bbcpapers pic.twitter.com/MpeHgeDUTS

Brilliant headline for labour,job done.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

currystar said:

GIN1138 said:

Because the polls aren't moving and the Tories apparently have nothing to say on anything (other than Ed's crap)

Actually, the Tory campaign so far has been so utterly dismal that you'd struggle to guess there IS an election campaign going on...

On the basis of today's polls Cameron will get the sack in a months time... Cameron and Osborne = Total waste of space!
    Look back at the threads at the end of last week. The consensus was that the Tory campaign had got off to a great start. Milliband has been hiding all weekend.
  • Options
    ''Actually, the Tory campaign so far has been so utterly dismal that you'd struggle to guess there IS an election campaign going on...''

100% correct. Utterly soft focus, Ooh what a wonderful husband, desperate not to offend anybody, patronising on the economy.

Totally and utterly dismal.
  • Options
    currystar said:

RobD said:

Yes
    Scary
  • Options

Saltire said:

Disagreeing with some members of the movement about anything the SNP has done/proposed can sometimes feel like a risky thing to do.

Rhetoric like this from SNP candidates does give the impression of mob rule...
    http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/politics/video-watch-snp-candidate-mhairi-5113388
  • Options
    Conservatives would be looking in better shape if Ruth Davidson was leader I tell ye !
  • Options
    taffys said:

''Actually, the Tory campaign so far has been so utterly dismal that you'd struggle to guess there IS an election campaign going on...''

100% correct. Utterly soft focus, Ooh what a wonderful husband, desperate not to offend anybody, patronising on the economy.

Totally and utterly dismal.

Agree.

• Options
    edited April 2015

Looks increasingly certain that we're going to have to suffer five years of extreme, left-wing, ideological socialism backed up by the English hating SNP.

They say turkey's don't vote for Christmas but in the case of the English voter...

Then again with Cameron and Osborne giving people not one single credible reason for voting for them, is it any wonder we're about to suffer the most extreme left wing government in history?

The only plus is that we'll have an entertaining five years watching Labour go into meltdown across the nation and we might, just might get a majority Tory government in 2020.

• Options
    RobD said:

currystar said:

RobD said:

Yes
    Scary
    It happened to a friend many years ago . He lost tens of thousands as Wimbledon did well in the league.
  • Options
    Saltire said:

Saltire said:

Rhetoric like this from SNP candidates does give the impression of mob rule...
    http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/politics/video-watch-snp-candidate-mhairi-5113388
    God I hope she gets in to deliver the "Dougie moment"...
  • Options
    Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411
    Utter *king joke at the moment!

What is wrong with this country?!

Not too late though - I still have hope!

GN
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Looks increasingly certain that we're going to have to suffer five years of extreme, left-wing, ideological socialism backed up by the English hating SNP.

They say turkey's don't vote for Christmas but in the case of the English voter...

Then again with Cameron and Osborne giving people not one single credibly reason for voting for them, is it any wonder we're about to suffer the most extreme left wing government in history?
    So zero inflation and record employment are not reasons?
  • Options
    Saltire There will be no referendum in 2019 unless the UK votes out of the EU in 2017 and 55%+ of Scots are saying Yes in the polls
  • Options
    Tykejohnno Don't know where those results are coming from, but Murphy on 36% is still higher than all recent Labour polls, a Sturgeon win would be as expected
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,404

Saltire said:

Scott_P said:

Yours,
    Evil Southern England
    Maybe if you got off your own lardy arses, searched for your own bollocks and did something about it yourselves?

No, didn't think so.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Tykejohnno Don't know where those results are coming from, but Murphy on 36% is still higher than all recent Labour polls, a Sturgeon win would be as expected

The Davidson score is too low - there is no way she would have only 50% of Scottish Conservatives saying she was the winner.
  • Options
    rullkorullko Posts: 161
    Pulpstar said:

Conservatives would be looking in better shape if Ruth Davidson was leader I tell ye !

You reckon? They don't seem to have progressed much under her in Scotland. They got 16.7% in 2010 and are polling about that, or a touch lower, now. Perhaps she'd appeal more to a non-Scottish audience, but I don't really see why.
  • Options
    Have the Tories actually made a policy announcement yet? I know there was something about GP opening hours last week but has there been anything since?
  • Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108
    Saltire said:

Scott_P said:

2018 would be better. Demographics predict a win by then without any more campaigning.
  • Options
    scotslass said:

The Sunday Times Best Seller List

1)The Dream Shall Never Die; 100 Days That Changed Scotland Forever.
    Salmond, Alex
    £11.69£12.99

2) The Road Beneath My Feet.
    Turner, Frank
    £20.00

3) Reasons to Stay Alive.
    Haig, Matt
    £9.49£9.99

4) Landmarks.
    Macfarlane, Robert
    £16.00£20.00

5) Tom Jones - The Life.
    Smith, Sean
    £7.59£7.99

Just noticed this. This is the UK list. Seems all these attacks on Salmond are boosting his book sales!

Where's The Ice Twins? Someone gonna be very put out by Mr Salmond.
  • Options
    The Mail has an interesting story that labour are going to 'renationalise' all academies (and presumably, free schools, too).

Heads at leading academies are panicking.
  • Options
    edited April 2015

Saltire said:

Scott_P said:

By which time hopefully Scotland will have grown some bollocks and demonstrate it's not just all mouth and no trousers and actually vote for independence, soWe e English have to suffer its posturing and politics no more.

Yours,
    Evil Southern England
    Maybe if you got off your own lardy arses, searched for your own bollocks and did something about it yourselves?

No, didn't think so.
    Not our job to end a Union we were happy with. Would be nice now that the Union is on its way out to have an English Nationalist party and an English parliament. I'm sure both will follow in due course if Labour seek to govern England with SNP support having come second in terms votes in England.
  • Options
    rullko said:

Pulpstar said:

You reckon? They don't seem to have progressed much under her in Scotland. They got 16.7% in 2010 and are polling about that, or a touch lower, now. Perhaps she'd appeal more to a non-Scottish audience, but I don't really see why.
    To hold onto 16.7% will be an achievement in itself come the GE in the face of the SNP tsunami and tactical pressures of SLAB.

*Shrug* I think she's decent anyway.

I can't figure out the 8% for her rating though - I can't seriously believe Scottish Conservatives would have had either Murphy or Sturgeon winning the debate.
  • Options
    Let me try to be as dispassionate about this as I can.

The trouble with polticos/men is that they don't stop for a second to consider just how obnoxious Murphy comes across to non polticos/women.

Yes I accept that I now only come into one of of the categories and I know that many men will find Murphy just as obnoxious. However, I bet that there is a hige gender preference for Nicola among women who watched the debate and would be totally turned off by Murphy's manner - not to mention his apalling shoes!

I also still think that Davidson was a clear second.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    currystar said:

GIN1138 said:

Then again with Cameron and Osborne giving people not one single credibly reason for voting for them, is it any wonder we're about to suffer the most extreme left wing government in history?
    Labours getting all the headlines on new policies or attacking the tories,tories not responding to it.

I'll say it again,I've watched/listened to bbc/sky news output for the last 3/4 days,labour winning by a mile on coverage/message across and I thought it would start to hit the tories in the polls.

Even today on blair giving it large on the tories idea of a referendum wrong,cameron could have come out harder on blair (theys lots of thing to go on),what did we get,Mr Blairs wrong on this from Cameron.

Just pathetic.

• Options
    scotslass said:

Scot P

Iain Martin! God preserve us. The man who buried the Hootsman as Andrew Neils wee boy. I now realise that your views are not your fault but those of the company you keep on line.

The only survey of the results debate confirms my view of Nicola as a clear winner. I thought Murphy should ahve been fourth. He was rated second. I would ask for a recount if I were Davidson because she was a good second in my opinion. I accept that Rennie could have been fourth.

However it should be the NATS who are smiling and it does not matter a jot what the Torygraph or Iain bloody Martin says.

Oh so that's who Iain Martin in. A failed hack trying to syndicate articles no-one wants to pay for because he can't get a job.

Makes a lot of sense why all the numpties love to quote his articles no-one reads.

He's the Ian Smart of the right.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Personally I think UK Labour would be doing better if Deputy Dug was the leader.
  • Options
    Just pathetic.

100% correct. tories are being smashed in, as they would say in rugby circles 'the contact area...'

• Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    Miliband's new plan to abolish Non-Dom tax rules...

Don't know enough about the current situation - but it seems like it could hit a lot of people and drive wealth creators away from the UK

• Options

currystar said:

GIN1138 said:

Labours getting all the headlines on new policies or attacking the tories,tories not responding to it.

I'll say it again,I've watched/listened to bbc/sky news output for the last 3/4 days,labour winning by a mile on coverage/message across and I thought it would start to hit the tories in the polls.

Even today on blair giving it large on the tories idea of a referendum wrong,cameron could have come out harder on blair (theys lots of thing to go on),what did we get,Mr Blairs wrong on this from Cameron.

Just pathetic.

On Saturday Ogh had a thread on here about labours cack handed campaigning and lots of the comments were about how strongly the Tories had started. I do now find it odd that just 3 days later labour are apparently having a glorious campaign and the Tories are hopeless
  • Options
    edited April 2015

currystar said:

GIN1138 said:

Just pathetic.

Indeed.

Not sure why we expected anything else though, given how dismal the Conservatives 2010 campaign was...

So far, this campaign has actually been worse than 2010 because at least in 2010 the Conservatives had a few interesting idea's even if nobody really knew what the hell they was talking about (Big Society?)

Compere to 2015 when they apparently have nothing to say or to offer at all!
  • Options
    @Tykejohno

Dave is pumping out the same bloody message as Scottish Labour

Vote UKIP Get Miliband

Vote SNP Get Tories.

• Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012
    taffys said:

The Mail has an interesting story that labour are going to 'renationalise' all academies (and presumably, free schools, too).

Heads at leading academies are panicking.

Labour are socialist. Miliband is excessively so. So should there be a surprise that they want to centralise control of education and destroy what it stands for at the same time?
  • Options
    KentRising There already is one, it is called the English Democrats
  • Options
    edited April 2015

seems like it could hit a lot of people and drive wealth creators away from the UK

That's the general idea... We are destined to repeat the 1970's it seems...

• Options
    edited April 2015
    Dair Most of the over 65s who voted heavily No will still be alive and kicking in 2018

Pulpstar Agree we need to see the Scottish yougov figures later in the week to see the real impact
  • Options
    Don't know enough about the current situation - but it seems like it could hit a lot of people and drive wealth creators away from the UK

the tories should be screaming at anybody who works in the private sector. If Ed gets in, you're f8cked, sunshine.

That job you got, or your son or daughter got, or that part time or self employed work you enjoy.

See ya.
  • Options
    compouter2compouter2 Posts: 2,371

GIN1138 said:

I thought it was nov 2014 crossover ;-)

Those goalpost have been carried longer than that. I remember the sun on Basils back in the Spring of 2014, when the first predictions where made of the Holy PB Hodge Crossover and then moved along a few months.....little did we know then, that Basil would have a full time job.
  • Options
    HYUFD: As I said before I agree with you the opinion polls would need to show a likely yes result but they keep inching in that direction. If the SNP are not part of the next UK government then more people in Scotland will feel like that they are not being represented and the yes vote will increase.

The possible EU referendum is the wildcard here. If the UK votes to leave then an indyref will have different issues like Scotland's place in Europe, the possibility of the Euro and immigration policies being more prevalent than last time. In some ways it makes it harder for the SNP since membership of the EU would be less automatic and also it would be on much less favourable terms with all the UK opt-outs gone etc.
    I don't think that the UK leaving the EU would necessarily trigger an indyref unless there is a clear majority of Scots who vote to stay in. Otherwise it might actually strengthen the unionists if they feel a bit more solidarity with their southern neighbours. However I would guess that Scotland would vote to stay in the EU at the moment.
  • Options
    currystar said:

currystar said:

GIN1138 said:

Just pathetic.

On Saturday Ogh had a thread on here about labours cack handed campaigning and lots of the comments were about how strongly the Tories had started. I do now find it odd that just 3 days later labour are apparently having a glorious campaign and the Tories are hopeless
    Lets hope this non dom policy hasn't put another couple of points on labour in the polls ;-)

• Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    GIN1138 said:

currystar said:

GIN1138 said:

Just pathetic.

Indeed.

Not sure why we expected anything else though, given how dismal the Conservatives 2010 campaign was...

So far, this campaign has actually been worse than 2010 because at least in 2010 the Conservatives had a few interesting idea's even if nobody really knew what the hell they was talking about (Big Society?)

Compere to 2015 when they apparently have nothing to say or to offer at all!
    What are you talking about? Cameron keeps offering his Long Term Plan to us, surely that will turn the tide? ;)
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Saltire Not really the latest 47% yes with yougov is about 5 points less than yougov had yes 2 weeks before indyref. After the election the Smith proposals will be legislated for regardless of who is in government and most SNP voters want those increased powers, not for the SNP to run the UK government. On the EU of course some polls have shown a majority of SNP voters want to leave, and it is equally possible Scotland could keep the UK in the EU on a tight vote
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    chestnut said:

numerous 2010 Tory voters saying they really weren't sure if they'd vote this time,

That's what happens when you knock on polite people's doors.

The less polite just tell you to piss off because they don't mind being rude.
    Pretty well everyone is polite in my patch and always has been (I've never been told to piss off!), but I've been doing this stuff for 45 years and it's really possible to tell the difference between lack of enthusiasm and polite restraint.

If you're in doubt that I'm quoting accurately, read the comments by Conservatives on this thread, which are more scathing than anything that I reported.

However, I gather we're about to hear about a Tory IHT tax cut, or something?
  • Options
    If the Tories were a really smart political party and thought about their long term and not internecine fighting, they would invite Ruth Davidson to Kensington.

Tory stupidity and infighting is valuable.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    currystar said:

currystar said:

GIN1138 said:

Just pathetic.

It's because the polls aren't shifting... A week ago you could give the Tories the benefit of the doubt but the clock is ticking and there's absolutely no sign of opinion swinging to the Tories...

Actually quite the opposite. In today's polls there's a swing to Labour.

• Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    edited April 2015
    taffys said:

the tories should be screaming at anybody who works in the private sector. If Ed gets in, you're f8cked, sunshine.

That job you got, or your son or daughter got, or that part time or self employed work you enjoy.

See ya.

The problem is, someone who stacks shelves at Tesco or works as a receptionist at a local branch of a big multinational (technically working in "the private sector") do not see themselves as having anything in common with super-rich fat cats.
  • Options

currystar said:

currystar said:

GIN1138 said:

Just pathetic.

Lets hope this non dom policy hasn't put another couple of points on labour in the polls ;-)

If it was such a great policy it would have been done before. The bbc are reporting that it will apply to the Chelsea owner whereas my reading of it is that it will not as he is not a British citizen. It will unravel.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    HYUFD said:

KentRising There already is one, it is called the English Democrats

Ha, they are not viable. I suspect any future English Nationalist party of note has yet to be formed, it would be formed in response to the SNP being a big factor in a UK government. EV4EL solidified into a movement of its own, promising a referendum on independence from Scotland.

• Options
    GIN1138 said:

currystar said:

currystar said:

GIN1138 said:

Just pathetic.

It's because the polls aren't shifting... A week ago you could give the Tories the benefit of the doubt but the clock is ticking and there's absolutely no sign of opinion swinging to the Tories...

Two you gov polls ago they were on 37%
  • Options
    kjohnwkjohnw Posts: 1,456
    When are the tories launching their manifesto?
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,081
    PB called the UK debate for Clegg and the Scottish debate for Davidson - My conclusion is that whoever goes hardest against the centre-left candidate gets the PB vote, but only about 10 per cent of the relevant electorate agrees.

LOLGove
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Dair Most of the over 65s who voted heavily No will still be alive and kicking in 2018

Pulpstar Agree we need to see the Scottish yougov figures later in the week to see the real impact

It's not a question of most over 65s.

It's a question of enough over 65s and enough turn 16.

Which is mid 2017.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Have the Tories actually made a policy announcement yet? I know there was something about GP opening hours last week but has there been anything since?

No one seems to have produced a manifesto yet. Lets face it there is a month to go.
    Meanwhile, Miliband threatening to drive even more inward investment and tax revenues away by his apparent proposal to abolish non doms must be being cheered by every other country in Europe if not even wider.
  • Options
    currystar said:

currystar said:

currystar said:

GIN1138 said:

Just pathetic.

If it was such a great policy it would have been done before. The bbc are reporting that it will apply to the Chelsea owner whereas my reading of it is that it will not as he is not a British citizen. It will unravel.
    Well don't count on the bbc to unravel it,this is the sort of policy they love and coming from the party they favour.

It's up to the tories to unravel it.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    currystar said:

GIN1138 said:

currystar said:

currystar said:

GIN1138 said:

Just pathetic.

Looks like that was a serious outlier...

We do need some evidence from the phone pollsters though. It's frustrating that we're getting so little from ICM at the moment.
    kjohnw said:

Your expecting a manifesto with ideas and proposals for the next five years?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!!?!?! :open_mouth:

• Options
    In a weeks time this thread should be looked at again.
  • Options
    currystar said:

If/when opinion starts to move consistently, nobody will be happier than me.

• Options
    currystar said:

GE Result,shouldn't that be ;-)

• Options
    kjohnwkjohnw Posts: 1,456
    GIN1138 said:

currystar said:

GIN1138 said:

currystar said:

currystar said:

GIN1138 said:

Just pathetic.

Looks like that was a serious outlier...

We do need some evidence from the phone pollsters though. It's frustrating that we're getting so little from ICM at the moment.
    kjohnw said:

Your expecting a manifesto with ideas and proposals for the next five years?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!!?!?! :open_mouth:

Labour are dominating the news agenda with the help of their chums at bbc and sky but where are the Tory attack dogs. The Tory response is noticeable by its silence. What game are they playing. Where are the heavy hitters?

• Options
    No one seems to have produced a manifesto yet.

To be fair, Cameron is 100% a counterpuncher by instinct. He positively likes it when the other guy gets his dig in first, and always does his best when he absolutely has to.

His intervention in the scotland referendum was, in political terms, at the eleventh hour.
  • Options
    edited April 2015

currystar said:

currystar said:

currystar said:

GIN1138 said:

Just pathetic.

Well don't count on the bbc to unravel it,this is the sort of policy they love and coming from the party they favour.

The problem for the Tories is, even if they rationally unravel this they will sound on the side of the non-doms, just like when they went to EU court over bankers bonuses cap being imposed by EU or that price freeze on energy prices are not as simple as wand waving.

But no party has put out any real policies of substance that hold water yet, so instead I am left to reading on the BBC about Cameron's Thug Life and Miliband Gangsta Rap being huge on twitter / LAD bible.

Grown up serious debate over policies it is not.
  • Options
    currystar said:

GIN1138 said:

currystar said:

GIN1138 said:

Look back at the threads at the end of last week. The consensus was that the Tory campaign had got off to a great start. Milliband has been hiding all weekend.
    Thats right and 38 was under attack at the time but now we see that the bulge in the line has been pinched off. Its still stalemate on the Election Front.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    kjohnw said:

Labour are dominating the news agenda with the help of their chums at bbc and sky but where are the Tory attack dogs. The Tory response is noticeable by its silence. What game are they playing. Where are the heavy hitters?

Lintons general strategy seems to be for the Tories to say and do as little as possible and let everyone else dominate the agenda....

The Tory strategy hasn't made much sense to me for months, but there we go...
  • Options

currystar said:

currystar said:

currystar said:

GIN1138 said:

Just pathetic.

The problem for the Tories is, even if they rationally unravel this they will sound on the side of the non-doms, just like when they went to EU court over bankers bonuses cap being imposed by EU or that price freeze on energy prices are not as simple as wand waving.
    Yep,if they do try to unravel it,it's got be a killer unrevellling,that puts labour on the back foot on the policy.

• Options
    edited April 2015
    kjohnw said:

I don't think the Tories have anybody these days. We have 5 years of near "radio silence". I have noted this before, where as Labour will send out the likes of John Mann to scream evil Tories baby eating scum day in day out, the Tories basically put up a minister to announce something, they do the media for the day and off their trot.

Instead, we are either left with the likes of Louise "Mrs self-importance live from NYC" Mensch or some Tory who plays way too nicely and gives people the benefit of the doubt. Back in Thatcher days, Tories used to have people that didn't take any crap from anybody e.g. Tebbit.

I don't think the Tories have ever adjusted to the 24-hours news cycle, let alone twitter etc. Just look at all the "on-message" tweeting for the red team during the debates, and virtually nothing from the blue team.
This discussion has been closed.