Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Cameron’s view of UKIP voters effectively being just “Tori

SystemSystem Posts: 11,693
edited April 2015 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Cameron’s view of UKIP voters effectively being just “Tories on holiday” not supported by polling

“In an interview with The Telegraph, the Prime Minister insisted that he has heard the message of frustrated Tory voters “loud and clear” but is now appealing to them to help him “avert the danger of a Labour government”.With one month until the polls open, Mr Cameron made his most emotional appeal to people who have flirted with supporting Ukip and said:

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985
    and he snipes the first!
  • Options
    If they can get that 30% back, that would be a couple more points in the polls....
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,882
    edited April 2015
    The UKIP being a place for disgruntled Tories theory has probably been the most repeated misconception during this term. I think the British Election Study found UKIP is largely made up of traditional working class Labour types who either didn't bother voting in 2010 or voted Conservative for the first time.

The potential net gain for the Conservatives over Labour if UKIP drop back is only small assuming they filter to the respective parties relatively evenly.
  • Options
    dugarbandierdugarbandier Posts: 2,596
    RobD said:

and he snipes the first!

I aimed to be gentlemanly, not taking advantage of my time zone. No such modesty among the new world types!
  • Options

RobD said:

and he snipes the first!

I aimed to be gentlemanly, not taking advantage of my time zone. No such modesty among the new world types!
    I'm an old worlder who has infiltrated the new. Just making sure peter doesn't get it ;)
  • Options
    dugarbandierdugarbandier Posts: 2,596
    RobD said:

RobD said:

and he snipes the first!

I'm an old worlder who has infiltrated the new. Just making sure peter doesn't get it ;)
    gone native! and good luck to you.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited April 2015
    Somewhat obviously, Cameron was targeting the 32%. - ~3% nationally? would certainly come in handy.
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    edited April 2015
    You can't deny that Cameron has some brass neck. After several years of pursuing policies that p*ss of social conservatives, of insulting them, branding them fruitcakes (and possibly ting tongs) he suddenly comes over all ecumenical and wants their vote! He isn't offering anything of course, not the slightly bone being throw their way except a bit of meaningless window dressing and cant, "vote for me, I am not quite as crap as EdM". I can see them ripping off their purples rosettes and racing for the Tory campaign office in droves at that message. Idiot.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,130
    Indigo said:

You can't deny that Cameron has some brass neck. After several years of pursuing policies that p*ss of social conservatives, of insulting them, branding them fruitcakes (and possibly ting tongs) he suddenly comes over all ecumenical and wants their vote! He isn't offering anything of course, not the slightly bone being throw their way except a bit of meaningless window dressing and cant, "vote for me, I am not quite as crap as EdM". I can see them ripping off their purples rosettes and racing for the Tory campaign office in droves at that message. Idiot.

Yes, Cameron has some brass neck. Making the Conservative Party broader in its appeal so that it replaces those who have gone to UKIP. The horror....

Let's remember something. Farage set out with one avowed aim: breaking up the Tory party. Regardless of whether this was to the short-term detriment of the UK by allowing in an utterly inept Labour Party, devoid of any atonement for having fecked the economy last time, with a leader spouting out sixth-form politics that would do it all again. Regardless of whether it was intellectually bankrupt to block power to the only party offering the one thing that was supposedly the sole component of UKIP's DNA - an In/Out Referendum.

Well, guess what - Farage's ambition has failed. The Tory Party is virtually back to where it was in 2010, with a large component of those who made it so toxic now housed in UKIP. But in amongst, we have lost some good people, people who if not political brothers, are at least political cousins. People who share a greater concern over the fate of the UK than over Farage's bruised ego.

So don't get all sniffy now Cameron has come and parked his tanks on your lawn to ask them back. But it will not be at the price of pissing of those who have more recently entered his broad church. Together, we could have the votes for a majority - a majority that could then address many of those concerns that raise the average Kippers' blood pressure by thirty points. But that is a decision for them to reach. And recently, we are seeing that is a decision many are prepared to consider. There is just too much at stake for the country.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    edited April 2015
    Indigo said:

I think the fruitcakes comment is quite old, more than 5 years, and the ting tong comment was made by a UKIP MEP, not a Tory let alone Cameron himself.

There may well be a fair amount of false recall amongst those who poll kipper. DNV may be believable but I think that five years is a long time for many people to remember how they voted, with Euro and local elections in the meantime.

In any case, with the UKIP vote dropping significantly over the last months, is it not an obvious place to look for votes? The Tories are on 35% ish and need some extra votes from somewhere, appealing to other parties supporters whether kipper, LD or Labour has to be done.
  • Options
    PurseybearPurseybear Posts: 766
    Yep you're right Mr Smithson but its that bit you say "even if a third of a third" could be persuaded [or 2/3rds of a 1/3rd!] then he has to do this pitch. With such a close election every vote may count so really DC would be crackers not to go for this.

A more significant intervention today may have come from Tony Blair who is critical of Camerons EU stance. That could really help Cameron win back some kippers.
  • Options
    PurseybearPurseybear Posts: 766

Somewhat obviously, Cameron was targeting the 32%. - ~3% nationally? would certainly come in handy.

You put it much better than me :-)
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Latest ARSE with added APLOMB 2015 General Election & "JackW Dozen" Projection Countdown :

200 minutes
  • Options
    edited April 2015

So don't get all sniffy now Cameron has come and parked his tanks on your lawn to ask them back. But it will not be at the price of pissing of those who have more recently entered his broad church. Together, we could have the votes for a majority - a majority that could then address many of those concerns that raise the average Kippers' blood pressure by thirty points. But that is a decision for them to reach. And recently, we are seeing that is a decision many are prepared to consider. There is just too much at stake for the country.

Not my lawn, I am one of the right of the conservative party that is still in the party, although feeling pretty unappreciated by my leader who allegedly wanted a broad church, but is trying his hardest to turn it into the Orange Book LD party.

It complete cant to accuse Farage of stealing anyone, or saddling the UK with anyone, he offers a platform, the Tories offer a platform, the votes pick the one they like the sound of, if not enough voters like the Conservative platform that is the conservative parties fault, not the kippers. You sounds like a restaurant complaining that he is losing customers because his neighbours food tastes better.

Clapping ourselves on the back because the voters are scared of a Miliband government is the height of sadness, and implies heavily that in a time with a more certain outcome there will be a big swing away from the Conservatives as there is less likelihood of putting Ed in.
  • Options

I think the fruitcakes comment is quite old, more than 5 years, and the ting tong comment was made by a UKIP MEP, not a Tory let alone Cameron himself.

I am aware of that, I was taking the p*ss out of TGOHF and Flightpath who have long held the view that insulting kippers was the way to get them to vote for the Conservative Party :p

• Options
    "The same polling aggregate based on a 7k sample found 25% saying that if they had to choose they’d prefer a LAB government to 32% saying a CON "

I think this really shows how little policy actually matters to many voters: what policies or ideas do these two parties share? Lots of immigrants or none? Lower taxes or higher ones? New grammar schools or none? Yet people switch between these two, then complain that politicians are duplicitous!

• Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    Also not all of the 2010 Conservatives now supporting UKIP will be ex-Tories for whom Cameron isn't right-wing enough. Some of them may have been telling pollsters in 2012 that they would vote Labour.
  • Options
    edited April 2015

I think this really shows how little policy actually matters to many voters: what policies or ideas do these two parties share? Lots of immigrants or none? Lower taxes or higher ones? New grammar schools or none? Yet people switch between these two, then complain that politicians are duplicitous!

I think this is what I alluded to yesterday, and may in some ways be Cameron's greatest strength, the "Michael Foot Effect". It doesn't matter how sparkling the oratory, how shining the intellect, this country doesn't elect a leader in a donkey jacket(*), and Tories can hope, by extension a leader that looks weird and can't eat a bacon sandwich. Its depressing that politics is of so little consequence to most voters, but there isn't much that can be done about it.

(*) Yes I know it wasn't a donkey jacket, and was actually quite an expensive coat, but that isn't what the voters saw.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Indigo said:

Not all those considering voting UKIP are as antipathetic to the Conservatives as the green ink brigade that you see so much of online. Nor do they necessarily see themselves as one of Nigel Farage's fanboys. Quite a lot of them are just generally pissed off.

The Conservatives have identified a realistic possibility that appals most kipper considerers: a Labour minority government propped up by the SNP, with Scotland being doled out power and money as a result. They think this can change votes and this appeal is part of that strategy.

They don't think that they're going to get enthusiastic votes from these voters. But they have hopes of getting their votes. That blue segment in that pie chart may yet shrink more.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,343
    I agree with the comments down thread about Cameron wanting to concentrate on the 32% but surely the most interesting thing about that pie chart is that 48.5% of Kippers DNV the last time.

Experienced polling companies such as ICM pretty much discount previous non voters because they tend to repeat the habit of not voting. Of course it may be the case for some that they have been waiting for years and have finally got a party that they think is worth voting for so they will be motivated like never before but....

UKIP are almost certainly going to underperform their current polling whether the Tory element comes home or not. I think they will be like Labour who also get support from those not minded to vote. The golden rule on here was that the lowest polling figure for Labour was the most accurate (and it was usually ICM). I will be surprised if UKIP breaks 10%.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    edited April 2015

"The same polling aggregate based on a 7k sample found 25% saying that if they had to choose they’d prefer a LAB government to 32% saying a CON "

They share more than you say, especially when viewed from one of the NOTA parties. Conservative and Labour are dominated by ex-public school and Oxbridge types, not workers or small businesses. You ask, rhetorically, which policies are shared on immigration, tax, and grammar schools. The answer, surely, is that you could not fit a fag paper between their policies on any of these subjects.

• Options
    nigel4englandnigel4england Posts: 4,800
    The new Labour poster on GP's is utter rubbish in content but brilliantly effective, forget the narrative it is first impression that matters.

To counter that Blair being wheeled out to champion the EU and slag off Cameron's referendum is an absolute gift to the Tories, they should hammer Labour over it.

• Options

They share more than you say, especially when viewed from one of the NOTA parties. Conservative and Labour are dominated by ex-public school and Oxbridge types, not workers or small businesses. You ask, rhetorically, which policies are shared on immigration, tax, and grammar schools. The answer, surely, is that you could not fit a fag paper between their policies on any of these subjects.

Would that be the UKIP party led by the Public School educated financier Nigel Farage? Who took over from the old Etonian Lord Rannoch as Leader? Whose two MPs are ex public school boys?

There are alternative parties out there for those who dislike our public school elite, but UKIP are not plausibly amongst them!
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

That's the advantage of being the boss: the voters can say and do whatever they like and the politicos just have to suck it up
  • Options
    DavidL said:

I agree with the comments down thread about Cameron wanting to concentrate on the 32% but surely the most interesting thing about that pie chart is that 48.5% of Kippers DNV the last time.

Experienced polling companies such as ICM pretty much discount previous non voters because they tend to repeat the habit of not voting. [rest snipped]

Indyref showed that DNVs can be turned into voters easily enough.

A year or two back pb debated (or swapped insults -- my memory is hazy) which party had recruited the best American (pace Linton) election gurus to direct their social media campaigning and voter targeting.

Go to youtube and search for Labour or Conservative and you will see many very recent videos have been uploaded, and doubtless carefully targeted at different groups of voters whose attention will have been drawn to these videos by email, Facebook or Twitter, either directly or via known supporters.
  • Options
    Assuming, for now a 15% UKIP share, the 32% of those who voted CON in 2010 amount to 5% of the national vote (while the 12.6% who voted LAB in 2010 amount to 2%).
    For argument's sake, the national polls are CON 34%, LAB 33%. If all the Kippers who "recall" their vote in 2010 reverted to their original parties, that would mean CON 39% LAB 35%.
    Would that make the difference between Cameron in No. 10 and Milliband in No. 10? Almost certainly.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Experienced polling companies such as ICM pretty much discount previous non voters because they tend to repeat the habit of not voting. [rest snipped]

Did it show that? The areas with the lowest electoral turnout in general elections also had some of the lowest for the indyref, and as I recall the areas that voted YES had lower turnouts than those who voted NO.

A family anecdote: my father who has supported UKIP for years told me at dinner yesterday that he would be voting Conservative. He always votes...
  • Options
    Still not sure this is not a win win for Labour. Ed goes to ground to prepare for the debate
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/labour/11518221/Labour-takes-gamble-as-Ed-Miliband-goes-to-ground-to-prepare-for-debate.html

I think Ed on the campaign trail is more of a risk as he has to interact with real people. OTOH he has shown himself to be reasonably competent at debates in a TV studio where things are much more controlled.

In the first week I think Tory campaigning definitely had the edge (mainly because of Labour's bizarre focus on business) but any sense of momentum has been dissipated by the Easter break. It will be interesting to see who is better able to pick up the baton this week.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @PeterMannionMP: Apparently we didn't see the happy warrior all weekend as he was buffing his chainmail and polishing his helmet for the challengers debate.
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    Indigo said:

I think this is what I alluded to yesterday, and may in some ways be Cameron's greatest strength, the "Michael Foot Effect". It doesn't matter how sparkling the oratory, how shining the intellect, this country doesn't elect a leader in a donkey jacket(*), and Tories can hope, by extension a leader that looks weird and can't eat a bacon sandwich. Its depressing that politics is of so little consequence to most voters, but there isn't much that can be done about it.

(*) Yes I know it wasn't a donkey jacket, and was actually quite an expensive coat, but that isn't what the voters saw.
    I find it odd that UK political reporting is so shallow. People actually get paid to come up with rubbish like that bacon sandwich fluff.

While perceptions of individuals matter, Mr Miliband being weird, Mr Cameron snobbish etc, I don't think it moves many votes.

It surprises me that we don't see articles examining policy differences between the parties. Evaluations of the consequences of those differences, and the consequences of the absence of difference.
  • Options

DavidL said:

A year or two back pb debated (or swapped insults -- my memory is hazy) which party had recruited the best American (pace Linton) election gurus to direct their social media campaigning and voter targeting.

Go to youtube and search for Labour or Conservative and you will see many very recent videos have been uploaded, and doubtless carefully targeted at different groups of voters whose attention will have been drawn to these videos by email, Facebook or Twitter, either directly or via known supporters.
    The Indyref was truly exceptional. Thank goodness it was a once in a generation thing.

Even there, though, the SNP attempts to make non voters into voters was not as successful as they hoped making the gap for No bigger than expected. And UKIP will never come close to matching the SNP ground operation that worked so hard on the non-voters.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @tnewtondunn: EXCL: UKIP in panic after losing a quarter of voters in five months - and new SoS sent out to try to save Farage http://t.co/EVvduyxkfG
  • Options
    MillsyMillsy Posts: 900
    3% of voters might be the difference between getting Ed as PM or sticking with Cameron
  • Options
    MillsyMillsy Posts: 900
    DavidL said:

Still not sure this is not a win win for Labour. Ed goes to ground to prepare for the debate
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/labour/11518221/Labour-takes-gamble-as-Ed-Miliband-goes-to-ground-to-prepare-for-debate.html

I think Ed on the campaign trail is more of a risk as he has to interact with real people. OTOH he has shown himself to be reasonably competent at debates in a TV studio where things are much more controlled.

In the first week I think Tory campaigning definitely had the edge (mainly because of Labour's bizarre focus on business) but any sense of momentum has been dissipated by the Easter break. It will be interesting to see who is better able to pick up the baton this week.

Ed will have to pop his head up sometime this week otherwise the media will on his tail...
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Does Ed really need a couple of weeks to prepare for the Challengers Debate? Or is it deliberate to keep his profile low?

• Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012

Indigo said:

I find it odd that UK political reporting is so shallow. People actually get paid to come up with rubbish like that bacon sandwich fluff.

While perceptions of individuals matter, Mr Miliband being weird, Mr Cameron snobbish etc, I don't think it moves many votes.

It surprises me that we don't see articles examining policy differences between the parties. Evaluations of the consequences of those differences, and the consequences of the absence of difference.
    True, reporting is shallow. But perceptions are strong.
    On the Foot thing. Yes it was not a donkey jacket, but it looked like one and why would someone wear what looked like a donkey jacket at the cenotaph? Either you are stupid or could not care. Both pretty damning.
    Unfortunately for Foot he also looked as if he did not know where he was. And thats before you looked at Labours manifesto.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

Assuming, for now a 15% UKIP share, the 32% of those who voted CON in 2010 amount to 5% of the national vote (while the 12.6% who voted LAB in 2010 amount to 2%).
    For argument's sake, the national polls are CON 34%, LAB 33%. If all the Kippers who "recall" their vote in 2010 reverted to their original parties, that would mean CON 39% LAB 35%.
    Would that make the difference between Cameron in No. 10 and Milliband in No. 10? Almost certainly.

Are you assuming every single person will go back ?
  • Options
    edited April 2015

DavidL said:

Does Ed really need a couple of weeks to prepare for the Challengers Debate? Or is it deliberate to keep his profile low?

It seems hard to believe doesn't it? Especially when we have seen how sterile and policy light the "debates" actually are. It is not as if he is going to have to explain the irrationality and inconsistency of his ZHC policy for example. At worst he will have to deal with a couple of less than polished soundbites suggesting his superficial and faintly ridiculous proposal was not nearly superficial or ridiculous enough.

This next debate should be all about Sturgeon against Miliband with 30 seats at stake. He did not interact with her at all when DC was there but that surely has to be his focus now. Maybe he is trying to learn something about Scotland. In which case one wonders if he has given it enough time.
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    The use of Bliar (for that is how many people still remember him) almost shouts of desperation - is this a Mandelson wheeze?

All it does is says that Labour is afraid of giving the people a choice and even more so, does not want people to have a choice - as Labour knows best!! - not very democratic.

Also how does the image of an ex-PM who used the Labour party as a vehicle to enrich himself hugely, fit in with their supposed support of the working man and woman - or is it an acknowledgement that they have abandoned them to UKIP?
  • Options
    Business lobby group, the Confederation of British Industry (CBI), estimated that the UK's economy expanded by 0.7% in the three months to March, up from 0.6% in the previous quarter.

It also said growth would probably gather some momentum in the current quarter.

The main risk to the UK economy was related to ongoing eurozone worries and Greece's bailout package, it said.

CBI's monthly survey includes 764 private firms from a range of sectors.

It said businesses in the UK would also need to cope with a stronger pound, which was already weighing down weak export growth.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-32199958
  • Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012

Would that be the UKIP party led by the Public School educated financier Nigel Farage? Who took over from the old Etonian Lord Rannoch as Leader? Whose two MPs are ex public school boys?

There are alternative parties out there for those who dislike our public school elite, but UKIP are not plausibly amongst them!
    Would it be in Sturgeon's interest to point that out in the debate? It would help Labour presumably, but how much does she want to help Labour? A Labour majority is no good to her.
    On the other hand does Miliband want to boast about going down the class warrior route? And he in turn does not want to weaken possible UKIP support to the benefit of tories?
    Head exploding stuff.

• Options
    Charles said:

That's the advantage of being the boss: the voters can say and do whatever they like and the politicos just have to suck it up
    A boss who behaved as capriciously - I nearly wrote "childishly" - as do swing voters would either be sacked or go bankrupt in months. It's a nice analogy, Charles, I only wish it worked.

• Options
    JEOJEO Posts: 3,656
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

It seems hard to believe doesn't it? Especially when we have seen how sterile and policy light the "debates" actually are. It is not as if he is going to have to explain the irrationality and inconsistency of his ZHC policy for example. At worst he will have to deal with a couple of less than polished soundbites suggesting his superficial and faintly ridiculous proposal was not nearly superficial or ridiculous enough.

This next debate should be all about Sturgeon against Miliband with 30 seats at stake. He did not interact with her at all when DC was there but that surely has to be his focus now. Maybe he is trying to learn something about Scotland. In which case one wonders if he has given it enough time.
    The reason we don't have a more detailed back-and-forth debate where Miliband would have to defend the detail of policies is because David Cameron blocked a one-on-one.
  • Options

You miss the point. To a voter fed up with their usual Labour or Conservative representatives, those parties look the same -- the metropolitan elite, isolated by wealth and background from their traditional supporters from the factory floor or boardroom respectively. Many of them were even on the same course, PPE, at Oxford, for crying out loud. They even look the same -- they are about the same age, and as has been noted recently, they even dress the same (dark suit, or for the more casual look, dark blue jumper over a light blue shirt).

And there are no substantial differences in policies -- Conservatives are not going to end immigration or bring back grammar schools. Labour will not nationalise the steelworks and shipyards. The rhetoric may be different but the policies are the same. Oh, there's been a recent kerfuffle over hidden plans to increase VAT or draw more people into higher rate bands, but if the plans are hidden, how can voters support them?

I'm no kipper and I suspect nor are most Ukip voters -- rather, they are NOTA. For the same reason, it doesn't matter if Green policies are impractical -- their voters already know they will never be enacted.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Indeed one would have thought that the best preparation for the debate would be getting out and about on the stump, rather than hiding in the bunker.
  • Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108
    DavidL said:

The Telegraph article may, obviously, be unreliable given it is in a paper which doesn't fact check. It says that Cons and Lib Dems did not refuse an invite which was what I believed from other sources.

That means Tory and Lib Dem policy cannot be challenged. It also means when, for example, Sturgeon makes a statement such as "we are against Austerity unlike X", X can ONLY be Labour, not Labour, Lib Dem and Tories.

I'm not sure how comfortable that will be for Miliband.
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Indeed one would have thought that the best preparation for the debate would be getting out and about on the stump, rather than hiding in the bunker.
    As long as he doesn't come to Scotland again. The SNP are strong enough.
  • Options
    In the past, many PBTories here wrote that since many of the UKIP strong areas were also true blue areas, then there will be very little effect on actual number of seats being lost.

The converse is also true. Reverting back to the Tories only buttresses the Tory majority.

I wonder we will now start reading all UKIP votes were in marginals,
  • Options
    SMukeshSMukesh Posts: 1,650
    It is silly if Miliband is taking time off to prepare for the debate.He has some momentum after the debates and he should use it.
    The guardian reported he will be taking time off over the Easter weekend,so I think we will see more of him today.
  • Options
    SMukesh said:

It is silly if Miliband is taking time off to prepare for the debate.He has some momentum after the debates and he should use it.
    The guardian reported he will be taking time off over the Easter weekend,so I think we will see more of him today.

Miliband's personal approval numbers have improved sharply - the more people have seen him.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

In the past, many PBTories here wrote that since many of the UKIP strong areas were also true blue areas, then there will be very little effect on actual number of seats being lost.

The converse is also true. Reverting back to the Tories only buttresses the Tory majority.

That is a good point. Many of that 32% will indeed be in very safe seats and make no difference to the result at all.
  • Options
    Week 1 of the campaign to Tories for sure but their momentum cut short by the debateLabour posters have been brilliant though unlike the stupid Tory ones.
  • Options
    Financier said:

Business lobby group, the Confederation of British Industry (CBI), estimated that the UK's economy expanded by 0.7% in the three months to March, up from 0.6% in the previous quarter.

The main risk to the UK economy was related to ongoing eurozone worries and Greece's bailout package, it said.

It said businesses in the UK would also need to cope with a stronger pound, which was already weighing down weak export growth.

I don't really expect a poster who calls himself Financier to take this point, but what matters at least as much as the gross rate of economic expansion is its distribution between the top 1% and the rest of us.

• Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

The Indyref was truly exceptional. Thank goodness it was a once in a generation thing.

Even there, though, the SNP attempts to make non voters into voters was not as successful as they hoped making the gap for No bigger than expected. And UKIP will never come close to matching the SNP ground operation that worked so hard on the non-voters.
    It's not Ukip turning non-voters into voters: it's the Labour and Conservative Parties. Look at each party's account on Youtube -- very recent positive and negative videos -- American-style "attack ads" may be banned from television but they are allowed on Youtube, and various social media are no doubt used to point wavering voters at them.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Generations seem to have got a lot shorter.

It wasn't the SNP who were working on non-Voters that was predominantly a RIC operation.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

A recent presentation about LD prospects said that in LD/Con marginals Labour leaning voters who had previously supported LD candidates had now moved to UKIP.

https://soundcloud.com/politicalstudiesassociation/dr-david-cutts-on-the-liberal-democrats-psa-media-briefing-1
  • Options
    Dair said:

DavidL said:

The Telegraph article may, obviously, be unreliable given it is in a paper which doesn't fact check. It says that Cons and Lib Dems did not refuse an invite which was what I believed from other sources.

That means Tory and Lib Dem policy cannot be challenged. It also means when, for example, Sturgeon makes a statement such as "we are against Austerity unlike X", X can ONLY be Labour, not Labour, Lib Dem and Tories.

I don't think that is plausible. So there is a debate but we cannot talk about the government !What should they talk about then ? The weather ?
  • Options
    SMukesh said:

Week 1 of the campaign to Tories for sure but their momentum cut short by the debateLabour posters have been brilliant though unlike the stupid Tory ones.

The Ed in Salmond's pocket poster will almost certainly be the best remembered of this campaign. If anything is moving Kippers back to the Tories it was that.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

SMukesh said:

Miliband's personal approval numbers have improved sharply - the more people have seen him.

Weren't we told that the more Miliband appears on TV,the worse Labour's poll ratings.
    No sign of that yet.
  • Options

You miss the point. To a voter fed up with their usual Labour or Conservative representatives, those parties look the same -- the metropolitan elite, isolated by wealth and background from their traditional supporters from the factory floor or boardroom respectively. Many of them were even on the same course, PPE, at Oxford, for crying out loud. They even look the same -- they are about the same age, and as has been noted recently, they even dress the same (dark suit, or for the more casual look, dark blue jumper over a light blue shirt).

And there are no substantial differences in policies -- Conservatives are not going to end immigration or bring back grammar schools. Labour will not nationalise the steelworks and shipyards. The rhetoric may be different but the policies are the same. Oh, there's been a recent kerfuffle over hidden plans to increase VAT or draw more people into higher rate bands, but if the plans are hidden, how can voters support them?

I'm no kipper and I suspect nor are most Ukip voters -- rather, they are NOTA. For the same reason, it doesn't matter if Green policies are impractical -- their voters already know they will never be enacted.
    I would say that most of that is just about spot on.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,942
    The last iteration of Stewphen Fisher's model gave the Tories 79% probability of most seats.

Election forecast seems to do the same.

Nevertheless Ed Mili's correct price with the Fisher model was 2.38.

We'll see this week if the Conservative momentum can be maintained...
  • Options
    Dair said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

It wasn't the SNP who were working on non-Voters that was predominantly a RIC operation.
    What the hell is RIC ?
  • Options
    Dair said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

RIC?

I can certainly confirm from my own experience that all of Better Together's efforts were focussed on areas with sub optimal turnout and no effort was wasted on Tory areas which were expected and did turn out all by themselves.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Pulpstar said:

The last iteration of Stewphen Fisher's model gave the Tories 79% probability of most seats.

Strange two years ago it was meant to be 99% Conservative absolute majority with SWINGBACK yet to come. Even our Rod Crosby said the same barely 6 months back.

Now, it is only 79% for "most seats" ? What is Fisher the joker up to ?
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,994
    Good morning, everyone.

Worth noting Cameron's 'come home' daftness isn't a one-strong bow, as it were.

He's not only saying the rather obvious "if you're an ex-Tory, come back", he's also, more subtly, saying "if you're an ex-Labour voter, do stay where you are".

UKIP are not just SuperCons. They've taken a significant amount of support that may otherwise be Labour. That matters quite a bit.
  • Options
    It does look like the phoney war between the Tories and Lib Dems is over and the real war has begun.
    'Clegg says the Tories are awash with money and still won't win the election.'
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Dair said:

DavidL said:

I don't think that is plausible. So there is a debate but we cannot talk about the government !What should they talk about then ? The weather ?
    Well, it has been weird hasn't it? A sunny Easter weekend? Only under the tories. My memory of the Blair/Brown years was trying to roll eggs in sleet!
  • Options

Would it be in Sturgeon's interest to point that out in the debate? It would help Labour presumably, but how much does she want to help Labour? A Labour majority is no good to her.
    On the other hand does Miliband want to boast about going down the class warrior route? And he in turn does not want to weaken possible UKIP support to the benefit of tories?
    Head exploding stuff.

Farage will be generally ignored till he says something outrageous. Copy of first debate.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

surbiton said:

That is a good point. Many of that 32% will indeed be in very safe seats and make no difference to the result at all.
    They may also have a clear notion of whether or not there is any prospect of their UKIP vote making a local Labour/Tory win more/less likely.

Voters in safe seats (most of us!) should be immune to those arguments.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,758

Good morning, everyone.

He's not only saying the rather obvious "if you're an ex-Tory, come back", he's also, more subtly, saying "if you're an ex-Labour voter, do stay where you are".

UKIP are not just SuperCons. They've taken a significant amount of support that may otherwise be Labour. That matters quite a bit.

Cameron's latest wheeze just looks a bit desperate.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Dair said:

DavidL said:

They can talk about "the government". they can't talk about Tory policies or Lib Dem policies (which is the basis of the "more austerity" claim).

Those are the rules of purdah. If a party is not invited to a broadcast debate, the invited parties cannot discuss the policies of other parties which are not invited.

If they try, the chair will interrupt them. I suspect they will try, especially the two who cannot face any Sanction from the Electoral Commission but the chair will intervene.
  • Options

Good morning, everyone.

Nonsense. It is boilerplate politics 101. Rally the anti Labour forces. Emphasise that this is about choosing a PM, not sending a message. Claim this is the most important choice ever. What do you expect him to say for goodness sake? It's an election.
  • Options

Financier said:

I don't really expect a poster who calls himself Financier to take this point, but what matters at least as much as the gross rate of economic expansion is its distribution between the top 1% and the rest of us.

A growing economy usually leads to more jobs, but the instability of the EZ is a threat to the UK's economic prospects - an example of where politicians act first before thinking through the long term consequences. (e.g Tony Blair and Iraq).

Fine, get rid of the top 1% as you so obviously would like - let them go to other countries and develop their businesses and see what you have left. They do not have to stay in the UK to succeed. (This excludes those of the top 1% who work for the public sector).

The UK's cost structure is too high - even James Dyson could not manufacture profitably in the UK and so had to do it in the Far East.

You could go to the Communist set up - but even there I found that the top politicos reward themselves extremely well and forcibly remove any ladder for the rest of the population to join them.

• Options
    DavidL said:

RIC?

I can certainly confirm from my own experience that all of Better Together's efforts were focussed on areas with sub optimal turnout and no effort was wasted on Tory areas which were expected and did turn out all by themselves.

Radical Independence Campaign. Predominantly hardcore left groupings. They were probably the largest group in terms of boots on the ground and nothing to do with the SNP (If they do vote SNP it will be through bared teeth).
  • Options

DavidL said:

surbiton said:

They may also have a clear notion of whether or not there is any prospect of their UKIP vote making a local Labour/Tory win more/less likely.

Voters in safe seats (most of us!) should be immune to those arguments.
    Yeah, but no one really cares about you! (All of them claim otherwise but they don't mean it).
  • Options
    marktheowlmarktheowl Posts: 169

Indigo said:

True, reporting is shallow. But perceptions are strong.
    On the Foot thing. Yes it was not a donkey jacket, but it looked like one and why would someone wear what looked like a donkey jacket at the cenotaph? Either you are stupid or could not care. Both pretty damning.
    Unfortunately for Foot he also looked as if he did not know where he was. And thats before you looked at Labours manifesto.
    Didn't his wife choose it for him? I think even those who went for Foot at the time admit they were pretty unfair to a decent man, even if they still justify it politically.

Papers prefer reporting that way for two reasons - firstly it makes for better headlines 'Look, Ed's A Complete Idiot', is far more interesting than 'Ed's housing policy may be just about workable, but would require allocation of resources that would be better spent elsewhere, and would involve what we believe would be unacceptable intrusions on the free market'.

Secondly it gives them control - image making is now the major power the papers have. To use an obvious example - Cameron was yesterday pictured using a knife and fork to eat a hot dog, a far more egregious error than struggling with a bacon sarnie, something which I'm sure everyone's done over the years. However one picture is printed repeatedly, the other will likely disappear amid a blizzard of lamb photos. One's an idiot, one's a Prime Ministerial family man, despite both men being steeped in politics since their youth and probably being a tad weird, but perfectly intelligent reasonable human beings otherwise. Dare I say it, Cameron certainly doesn't look the youthful leader of 2005 but often pudgy, strangely troubled and washed out - if you wanted to you could depict him as Nixonian. Of course, if you've had the misfortune of browsing Mail Online you'll know that even Hollywood stars can be depicted as 'weird', 'depressed' or 'heartbroken' if you have a cameraman following them round all day and are willing to print whatever to justify the narrative you've decided upon for them.

If they evaluated the consequences of the differences between the parties, horror of horrors, people might make up their own minds, and we can't be having that.

• Options
    Dair said:

DavidL said:

RIC?

Radical Independence Campaign. Predominantly hardcore left groupings. They were probably the largest group in terms of boots on the ground and nothing to do with the SNP (If they do vote SNP it will be through bared teeth).
    Not in Dundee they weren't.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Good morning, everyone.

Nonsense. It is boilerplate politics 101. Rally the anti Labour forces. Emphasise that this is about choosing a PM, not sending a message. Claim this is the most important choice ever. What do you expect him to say for goodness sake? It's an election.
    Elections are decided by stupid (or politically ignorant, and happy to remain so) voters, not intelligent ones.

• Options

DavidL said:

Good morning, everyone.

Elections are decided by stupid (or politically ignorant, and happy to remain so) voters, not intelligent ones.

Well there's a cheery thought for me to go to work on! But yes.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Dair said:

DavidL said:

RIC?

Actually in Dundee that's who you were seeing (predominantly). RIC were massive in Dundee. But from their comments on activity, I doubt they went near the type of areas you reside in :smiley:
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    So the disreputable Tony Blair is now supporting the Labour Party...bodes well and smacks of desperation..half of the Labour Party detest him.
  • Options
    Mr. Brooke, does it?

PM asks people to vote for him in election isn't that ground-breaking in desperation terms.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    DavidL said:

Good morning, everyone.

If he had half a brain he would have started getting the lost Tories back on board two years ago. This is simply too little too late.

And what do I expect him to say ? "Come on centrists give me your votes" since that's where he's been pitching his tent. Why the hell he thinks the right should come on board for him is just puzzling.
  • Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    Morning all and for any of you interested, there is a Scottish leaders debate this evening on STV. I expect Nicola Sturgeon and Ruth Davidson to wipe the floor with Jim Murphy and Willie Rennie.
  • Options
    macisbackmacisback Posts: 382
    Pulpstar said:

Burnham is all over the media this morning, so it looks like NHS and stats batted back and forth today anyway. Not sure there is any ground to be made on NHS especially with Burnham fronting the campaign.

• Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664

DavidL said:

Good morning, everyone.

If he had half a brain he would have started getting the lost Tories back on board two years ago. This is simply too little too late.

And what do I expect him to say ? "Come on centrists give me your votes" since that's where he's been pitching his tent. Why the hell he thinks the right should come on board for him is just puzzling.
    If he'd started earlier he would have risked the euronutters in his own party trying to push him to concessions. Safer now, though - I agree - less potential reward.
  • Options
    Dair said:

DavidL said:

Dair said:

DavidL said:

RIC?

Actually in Dundee that's who you were seeing (predominantly). RIC were massive in Dundee. But from their comments on activity, I doubt they went near the type of areas you reside in :smiley:
    And as I have said I was not canvassing in the areas I live in either.

There were some left wing nutters for independence in the Town Centre from time to time and we did get wind of other groups who had been involved in getting people signed up on the register.

But the teams I saw out canvassing were all badged up SNP. As were the marches in the centre. As were the vans going around. As were the posters all over the place. As were the groups I met on the day working on GOTV. They are extremely well organised in Dundee and will walk my constituency of Dundee West as a result.
  • Options

Mr. Brooke, does it?

PM asks people to vote for him in election isn't that ground-breaking in desperation terms.

It's where he's seeking the votes. The people he ignored for 5 years are suddenly meant to vote for him on the back of a scare story on Miliband. It doesn't seem to occur to him that many will see him as just as bad as Ed.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,054
    Indigo said:

I am aware of that, I was taking the p*ss out of TGOHF and Flightpath who have long held the view that insulting kippers was the way to get them to vote for the Conservative Party :p
    Yet that can be turned around: some (although not all) Kippers on here take an inordinate joy in insulting the other parties, with the beraindead 'LibLabCom' meme and much worse.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Latest ARSE with added APLOMB 2015 General Election & "JackW Dozen" Projection Countdown :

22 minutes 22 seconds
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Ishmael_X said:

DavidL said:

Good morning, everyone.

If he'd started earlier he would have risked the euronutters in his own party trying to push him to concessions. Safer now, though - I agree - less potential reward.
    Nonsense on stilts. Most of the so called euronutters have already decamped to UKIP. What he is missing is about 6-8% of the electorate who are the more traditional Tory voters and who he has gone out of his way to alienate.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Good morning, everyone.

If you think he hasn't been saying that too you are not listening. So far as the right are concerned his calculation, as per Blair with the left, is that they have nowhere else to go and will choose the lesser of 2 evils. Standard politics.
  • Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    Gordon Brown spent the 2010 General Election visiting safe Labour party member filled venues. It looks as though Ed Miliband is doing exactly the same thing. Keeping clear of actual voters. Clearly worried he might come off 2nd best if confronted by little old grannies.
  • Options
    edited April 2015

Morning all and for any of you interested, there is a Scottish leaders debate this evening on STV. I expect Nicola Sturgeon and Ruth Davidson to wipe the floor with Jim Murphy and Willie Rennie.

Watchable online outside Scotland on stv player
    8 p.m.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    It's nice of Mr. Tony Blair to pop up again and remind the British public that Labour can't be trusted when it comes to the EU.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Dair said:

DavidL said:

Dair said:

DavidL said:

RIC?

And as I have said I was not canvassing in the areas I live in either.

There were some left wing nutters for independence in the Town Centre from time to time and we did get wind of other groups who had been involved in getting people signed up on the register.

But the teams I saw out canvassing were all badged up SNP. As were the marches in the centre. As were the vans going around. As were the posters all over the place. As were the groups I met on the day working on GOTV. They are extremely well organised in Dundee and will walk my constituency of Dundee West as a result.
    You had SNP badged campaigners? Never saw one in Glasgow, only Yes Scotland badged (I'm sure some of them had SNP lapel badges but never noticed any). RIC were mainly involved in the sign ups and used mass canvasses in areas they felt were "socially appropriate".

How effective this was is up to interpretation. RIC were most heavily involved in mass canvass sign ups in Glasgow and Dundee. They both have significantly lower turn outs than any other area of Scotland. that's indicative that it was successful in getting non-voters onto the register but a significant portion of them stayed as non-voters.
  • Options

Ishmael_X said:

DavidL said:

Good morning, everyone.

Nonsense on stilts. Most of the so called euronutters have already decamped to UKIP. What he is missing is about 6-8% of the electorate who are the more traditional Tory voters and who he has gone out of his way to alienate.
    Politely put, and complete rubbish. You think the tory party is largely free of euronutters?
  • Options
    Mr. Brooke, some UKIP ex-Cons [ahem] do see him that way. Others don't.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Good morning, everyone.

If you think he hasn't been saying that too you are not listening. So far as the right are concerned his calculation, as per Blair with the left, is that they have nowhere else to go and will choose the lesser of 2 evils. Standard politics.

Firstly what if I don't want to vote evil in the first place ? Even the lesser one ?

Secondly Blair's calculation was valid only for a time, the world has moved on and the inherent contempt for voters in Blair's statement has created the multi party politics we see to day with places to go on the left and the right. People created places to go.

Cameron's problem is he didn't embrace the politics of the broad tent, which is why he's about 6% short of the votes for a majority.
  • Options
    Ishmael_X said:

Ishmael_X said:

DavidL said:

Good morning, everyone.

Politely put, and complete rubbish. You think the tory party is largely free of euronutters?
    more free than it has been for some time.
This discussion has been closed.