Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The March PB Polling Average: it’s still neck-and-neck

SystemSystem Posts: 11,705
edited April 2015 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The March PB Polling Average: it’s still neck-and-neck

That cloud looks like a tree. Or a bird. Or a flower. It’s human nature to see patterns in chaos and further, to try to rationalise and explain those patterns. Hence earthquakes are still archaically ‘acts of God’. Hence also the interpretation of the four point Labour lead in the YouGov poll published after the Cameron-Miliband interviews and Q&A as a Miliband ‘win’.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990
    First, glorious First!
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    As a lover of graphs, thanks David (thanks Harry for the local election results, as always). I have a couple more which do weekly and fortnightly averages, to complement yours - http://goo.gl/9RfFdf
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    edited April 2015
    Re Labour leaflet in Bristol West - no potted biography, though the candidate's website is more illuminating and quite interesting, likewise outline background on the link below.

http://www.labour.org.uk/people/detail/thangam-debbonaire

No direct or indirect references to the incumbent LD Steven Williams, yet 2 or 3 oblique comments about Tory/Lib Dem government or coalition. Given the ambiguity of the use of 'a straight choice between Labour Government fighting for you, your family & the NHS or five more years of Conservatives', it is hard to see the Tories as challengers to Labour. (2010 result - 48% LDs, Labour 27.5%, Conservative 18.4%).

There is no reference to The Greens on any of the pages.

Thangam Debbonaire did include a photo of her showing Ed Miliband the delightful shops of Gloucester Road. Someone whom many other Lab candidates seem to reluctant to use. Noticed that the business woman who backs her, happens to be the wife of a Labour Councillor and past Lord Mayor of Bristol.

Will be interested to see if Labour actually attack Williams and LDs record more directly.
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    I think it is better to compile weekly polling averages now rather than monthly ones, it will help more looking at the twists and turns of the campaign.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,167
    Speedy (Previous thread) My tip is Paul wins Iowa, Christie NH and Cruz S Carolina, and Christie-Rubio is the GOP ticket after a long primary fight, but that it will be a tight general election battle Hillary narrowly wins. If Hillary does win Cruz would be favourite for the nomination in 2010, then Hillary can start thinking about a landslide!
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,227
    Since BJO helpfully pointed out that 1 in 5 of those businessmen signing the pro-Tory letter were given honours by Cameron, perhaps someone could remind us:-

1. How many people giving donations to Labour were given honours by Labour;
    2. Which party honoured the megalomaniac CEO of a bank which nearly brought down the economy and is costing all of us a packet;
    3. Which party was investigated by the police over "cash for honours"; and
    4. Which party has the distinction of providing the first serving Prime Minister to be interviewed under caution while still in office.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,167
    Anyone see John Prescott on 'Big Star Little Star' tonight with his 5 year old grandaughter?
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,020
    OT but having just read it. Got to say that after the history of violence and legal challenges surrounding elections in Nigeria, Goodluck Jonathan's acceptance of the result and urging of the Nigerian people to accept and support their new president is surprising and refreshing.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,397

OT but having just read it. Got to say that after the history of violence and legal challenges surrounding elections in Nigeria, Goodluck Jonathan's acceptance of the result and urging of the Nigerian people to accept and support their new president is surprising and refreshing.

My guess is that history will record that nothing so became Goodluck's premiership more than the manner of his leaving it. If they leave him alone and don't chase him for alleged abuses etc it will set an excellent precedent.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    dr_spyn said:

Re Labour leaflet in Bristol West - no potted biography, though the candidate's website is more illuminating and quite interesting, likewise outline background on the link below.

No direct or indirect references to the incumbent LD Steven Williams, yet 2 or 3 oblique comments about Tory/Lib Dem government or coalition. Given the ambiguity of the use of 'a straight choice between Labour Government fighting for you, your family & the NHS or five more years of Conservatives', it is hard to see the Tories as challengers to Labour. (2010 result - 48% LDs, Labour 27.5%, Conservative 18.4%).

Thangam Debbonaire did include a photo of her showing Ed Miliband the delightful shops of Gloucester Road. Someone whom many other Lab candidates seem to reluctant to use. Noticed that the business woman who backs her, happens to be the wife of a Labour Councillor and past Lord Mayor of Bristol.

Will be interested to see if Labour actually attack Williams and LDs record more directly.

Anything from the Greens yet seeing as they are very much a live prospect in Bristol West ?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,597
    edited April 2015
    Cyclefree said:

Since BJO helpfully pointed out that 1 in 5 of those businessmen signing the pro-Tory letter were given honours by Cameron, perhaps someone could remind us:-

2. Which party honoured the megalomaniac CEO of a bank which nearly brought down the economy and is costing all of us a packet;
    4. Which party has the distinction of providing the first serving Prime Minister to be interviewed under caution while still in office.

Point of order Ms Cyclefree, Blair was never questioned under caution. He does hold the distinction of being the First Prime Minister questioned in Downing Street.

His associates told the police, Blair would resign if he was questioned under caution.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1546588/Police-told-Blair-would-resign-if-cautioned.html
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    Just to note today is the first day in about four we've had neither LD nor Labour leaflets through the door (most days we have been getting both!). One Tory leaflet, no UKIP, or Plaid yet. (Cardiff Central).
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,051
    @Roger

I cannot even begin to imagine how life is to worship people like Clarkson, admire Osborne, to hate lefties because they are either scroungers or hypocrites and to be constantly on the side of the rich getting richer. I don't think compassionate conservatism exists anymore- I can't see it. Instead we have this vile, ideological, egotistical group of wealthy individuals who play to the lowest common denominator.

As to the business, support letter- 103, narcissistic, self serving, self interested, self important group. We've made money, we're better than you.

What about a letter from the thousands of people affected by the bedroom tax. A letter by the tens of thousands hit by food banks. A letter by tens of thousands of the mentally ill victimised by the welfare reforms. The thousands of additional homeless.

They talk today about zero hour contracts. It's only 700,000 and only about 500,000 are properly exploited. Well that 500,000 is a damn site bigger than the 103 narcissists today.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    @rcs1000

Nope, that is highly improbable that Tsipras is going to leave his own party in order to go to bed with Samaras, your sources might have confused Tsipras with Ramsey MacDonald.
    Plus, the liberal opposition is weak, he will need to take with him at least 50 MP's from his own party and I don't believe that he can take more than a dozen with a such a blatant act as that, also he will lose the PM's office to Samaras.

My sources have not told me anything similar, except perhaps that he might go for early elections or a referendum to reaffirm whatever the government decides.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,048
    Silly public, you're supposed to be moving away from the big two, not going back to them, that's the narrative remember.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    edited April 2015
    rcs1000 said:

Grexit update

I've heard from a source that Tsiparis has been telling investors that if the left wing of Syriza does not "get into line" regarding a deal with the IMF/EU/ECB, then he will quit the party and form a new grouping.

If this is true - and I have no reason to believe that it is not - then he is engaged in a high wire act, between posturing to the IMF about default on the one hand, and telling his own party to get in line or he (and presumably half of Syriza) leaves.

I don't know what would happen in Syriza splintered: fresh general elections? An ND/Tsipiras coalition?

If Syriza fail to solve the Greek people's problems which results in another election do you think Golden Dawn/Independent Greeks could benefit from being eurosceptic parties?
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    Cyclefree said:

Since you are itching to tell us, why don't you do so .
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245
    Cyclefree said:

You seem to have forgotten that 2010, is year zero as far as politics is concerned. Nothing prior to then counts.
  • Options
    @rcs1000

Whatever happens I hope the Greeks have figured out how to run elections as cheaply as possible while keeping them run well - they are certainly getting good practice.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    tyson said:

@Roger

I cannot even begin to imagine how life is to worship people like Clarkson, admire Osborne, to hate lefties because they are either scroungers or hypocrites and to be constantly on the side of the rich getting richer. I don't think compassionate conservatism exists anymore- I can't see it. Instead we have this vile, ideological, egotistical group of wealthy individuals who play to the lowest common denominator.

As to the business, support letter- 103, narcissistic, self serving, self interested, self important group. We've made money, we're better than you.

What about a letter from the thousands of people affected by the bedroom tax. A letter by the tens of thousands hit by food banks. A letter by tens of thousands of the mentally ill victimised by the welfare reforms. The thousands of additional homeless.

They talk today about zero hour contracts. It's only 700,000 and only about 500,000 are properly exploited. Well that 500,000 is a damn site bigger than the 103 narcissists today.

Lol - a post stuffed full of irony - shame you'll never, ever understand it. Just to prove there are compassionate conservatives still - I feel your pain. :)
  • Options
    saddened said:

Cyclefree said:

You seem to have forgotten that 2010, is year zero as far as politics is concerned. Nothing prior to then counts.
    Don't forget about Thatcher!
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    Pulpstar said:

dr_spyn said:

Anything from the Greens yet seeing as they are very much a live prospect in Bristol West ?
    No they are not . Their chance is close to zero .
  • Options
    MontyMonty Posts: 346
    tyson said:

@Roger

*** LIKE LIKE LIKE ***
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    MP_SE said:

rcs1000 said:

Grexit update

I've heard from a source that Tsiparis has been telling investors that if the left wing of Syriza does not "get into line" regarding a deal with the IMF/EU/ECB, then he will quit the party and form a new grouping.

If this is true - and I have no reason to believe that it is not - then he is engaged in a high wire act, between posturing to the IMF about default on the one hand, and telling his own party to get in line or he (and presumably half of Syriza) leaves.

I don't know what would happen in Syriza splintered: fresh general elections? An ND/Tsipiras coalition?

If Syriza fail to solve the Greek people's problems which results in another election do you think Golden Dawn/Independent Greeks could benefit from being eurosceptic parties?
    I seriously do not believe rcs1000 post as I explained earlier.
    However an early election or a referendum is a real possibility if the deal is unpopular or there is no deal at all.

I don't know what the results of an early election will be, but a reasonable guess is that, whatever happens until the summer, the liberal parties will decline further with PASOK perhaps not being able to pass the 3% threshold.
    The government might get a few more seats and the opposition will be further fragmented and weakened.

In a referendum if there is a deal it will certainly pass, if there is no deal the result will be a close one.

• Options
    steve_garnersteve_garner Posts: 1,019
    This letter from business leaders really has stung PB lefties judging by the anger of some of their posts today. Chuka dismissed it as a stunt and Labour apparently think it helpful in reinforcing the them and us narrative. However, it just looks like it's hurt.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693

Pulpstar said:

dr_spyn said:

How close to zero?
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

This letter from business leaders really has stung PB lefties judging by the anger of some of their posts today. Chuka dismissed it as a stunt

...that's why Labour have been trying to copy it all day
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    "They advertise it as a family-based business but one minute it's Peppa Pig and Father Christmas and the next it's an orgy train."

Cracking stuff. There's life in the local press yet.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,631
    rcs1000 said:

Grexit update

I think you are overestimating the support that Tsipras has within SYRIZA, by all accounts he would not carry enough of his party into a new coalition with ND. Also don't forget that SYRIZA themselves are in a coalition with the Independent Greeks who are even fiercer than SYRIZA in their hatred of the EU/ECB.

It would be a truly messed up situation if Tsipras tried to go it without the majority of his party and tried to push a reform package through without the majority of SYRIZA and all of the Independent Greeks. I find it hard to believe that a reform package would make it through the Greek parliament, new elections would have to be called and SYRIZA with a new anti-austerity leader would undoubtedly win and we would end up in the same situation.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002

Pulpstar said:

dr_spyn said:

Aren't you the man who laid 8-1 on the Greens in Pavilion though ?!
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,980
    tyson said:

@Roger

We do it all for the evulz.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,075
    edited April 2015

"They advertise it as a family-based business but one minute it's Peppa Pig and Father Christmas and the next it's an orgy train."

Cracking stuff. There's life in the local press yet.
    That's a way to gain support for HS2. Repeal the old two-class law to allow three class carriages on the new line.

Second class, first class, and then orgy class.

Edit: it reminds me of an (apocryphal?) story where a couple on a busy train had sex, and people only complained when they lit cigarettes post coitus.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,554
    Scott_P said:

This letter from business leaders really has stung PB lefties judging by the anger of some of their posts today. Chuka dismissed it as a stunt

...that's why Labour have been trying to copy it all day
    Will it end up like that "business for Yes" mob? Where a closer look showed that many of the pro-independence Scottish "titans of industry" were self employed or running very small businesses.

Labour has been banging the anti-business drum for 5 years nearly, they can't really be surprised that they have lost a lot of support in that area.
  • Options
    After throwing the kitchen sink at the TPD.

The blue team have gone nuclear to ensure I win my money off isam.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-32152002?ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbc_politics&ns_source=twitter&ns_linkname=news_central
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    edited April 2015
    I think we can expect anticipated job loss numbers to be trotted out closer to election day if Ed is still competitive.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,900

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-32152002?ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbc_politics&ns_source=twitter&ns_linkname=news_central

TPD will hold on just IMO
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

tyson said:

@Roger

I knew it!
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,667
    48 hours later, I'm still disproportionately entertained and amused by this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MH0K_XIIBow
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806
    MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

Grexit update

I think you are overestimating the support that Tsipras has within SYRIZA, by all accounts he would not carry enough of his party into a new coalition with ND. Also don't forget that SYRIZA themselves are in a coalition with the Independent Greeks who are even fiercer than SYRIZA in their hatred of the EU/ECB.

It would be a truly messed up situation if Tsipras tried to go it without the majority of his party and tried to push a reform package through without the majority of SYRIZA and all of the Independent Greeks. I find it hard to believe that a reform package would make it through the Greek parliament, new elections would have to be called and SYRIZA with a new anti-austerity leader would undoubtedly win and we would end up in the same situation.
    If an election is called the creditors will probably feel that they have to fund the Greeks for a few months until a new government is formed, thus kicking the can down the road again. Ad infinitum.

• Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245

With the exception of Balls, losing his seat, nothing would give me greater pleasure than Reckless being ousted.
  • Options

Hmmm. let me measure your confidence, is that on the same level as eicipm?
  • Options
    saddened said:

With the exception of Balls, losing his seat, nothing would give me greater pleasure than Reckless being ousted.
    "Were you up for TPD?" Has a certain ring to it.
  • Options
    edited April 2015

TPDWBMPFRAS

I'll let you work that one out.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

Debonnaire is a fantastic name for candidate. It's just a shame Roger Moore is a Tory, otherwise he'd be an ideal celebrity campaign endorsement for her.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    RobD said:

TPDWBMPFRAS

I've got money on that not being the case :)
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,422
    Speedy said:

I think it is better to compile weekly polling averages now rather than monthly ones, it will help more looking at the twists and turns of the campaign.

I'll give some thought to that. One problem is that I have tried to maintain consistency in the series by having the same weights applied to the various monthly averages of the five companies' respective polls over each month. However, because ICM and Mori only tend to publish one a month, it hasn't been possible to come up with figures more frequently. Now that we're in the election period, we may get more so that may resolve the problem. One option might be that if we don't have any polls from one or more of the companies, then to use their most recent. I would be loathed to leave them out though as that would skew the overall average given that each has its own house effects.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

MP_SE said:

rcs1000 said:

Grexit update

I seriously do not believe rcs1000 post as I explained earlier.
    However an early election or a referendum is a real possibility if the deal is unpopular or there is no deal at all.

I don't know what the results of an early election will be, but a reasonable guess is that, whatever happens until the summer, the liberal parties will decline further with PASOK perhaps not being able to pass the 3% threshold.
    The government might get a few more seats and the opposition will be further fragmented and weakened.

In a referendum if there is a deal it will certainly pass, if there is no deal the result will be a close one.

Thanks for the reply. I find European politics quite interesting, in particular populist parties. There are not a great many books on them though as some have been around for less than a year.

• Options
    RobD said:

TPDWBMPFRAS

Treacherous Pig Dog will be MP for Rochester and Stroud

I claim my prize
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071

RobD said:

TPDWBMPFRAS

I claim my prize
    Got there before you with my answer, so no prize for you.
  • Options
    saddened said:

Except for Thatcher, Enoch Powell, etc...
  • Options

RobD said:

TPDWBMPFRAS

I claim my prize
    And the survey says..... no!

Gotta love them typos....
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    edited April 2015
    RobD said:

TPDWBMPFRAS

You forgot the N between B and M. you also need to add some of sean t's colourful expletive-laden descriptions in on top.
  • Options
    It is Traitorous Pig Dog, not treacherous.
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

RobD said:

TPDWBMPFRAS

I claim my prize
    Got there before you with my answer, so no prize for you.
    Boo
  • Options

RobD said:

TPDWBMPFRAS

You forgot the N between B and M.
    I see what you did there.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    tyson said:

@Roger

I don't think compassionate conservatism exists anymore- I can't see it. I

*ahem*
  • Options

Double Boo
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    No front pages yet?
  • Options

Pig dog hyena, if you are feeling particularly malicious.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,597
    edited April 2015
    As the Editor of PB on General Election night, were Reckless to lose, I can guarantee there will be a thread dedicated to that, along the lines of a few months later, Dave finally kicks the traitorous pig dog's fat arse.

Were he to win, well it'll be a busy night, and I won't be able to do a dedicated thread to any one seat.
  • Options

Tit, tosser, twit & tw@, twiglet, tosspot, tw@t, tea-cup, testicle, tw@ are all incorrect too but only just.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362

Labour offers counterpunch to Daily Telegraph business letter

Party produces grassroots-leaning response signed by mixed group of actors, businessmen, writers, nurses and a host of low-paid workers

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/apr/01/labour-offers-counterpunch-to-daily-telegraph-business-letter
  • Options

Tit, tosser, twit & tw@, twiglet, tosspot, tw@t, tea-cup, testicle, tw@ are all incorrect too but only just.
    Is a twiglet pig dog some form of canine piglet?
  • Options

As the Editor of PB on General Election night, were Reckless to lose, I can guarantee there will be a thread dedicated to that, along the lines of a few months later, Dave finally kicks the traitorous pig dog's fat arse.

Were he to win, well it'll be a busy night, and I won't be able to do a dedicated thread to any one seat.

If/when he loses, the rest of the night's results will pass me by - it's a great hedge to counter the remote risk of EICIPM
  • Options

Party produces grassroots-leaning response signed by mixed group of actors, businessmen, writers, nurses and a host of low-paid workers

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/apr/01/labour-offers-counterpunch-to-daily-telegraph-business-letter

What the F is a counterpunch.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @chrisshipitv: NEW: First view of the ITV #leadersdebate studio. Which will air at 8pm tomorrow with @julieetchitv http://t.co/M16cPp2aKY
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,901
    edited April 2015
    Tyson

"They talk today about zero hour contracts. It's only 700,000 and only about 500,000 are properly exploited. Well that 500,000 is a damn site bigger than the 103 narcissists today."

I used to do some work with Shelter and about half the organization believed that it's very existence was counter productive in that 750,000 homeless walking down Whitehall would be more effective than any influence Shelter's money could buy.

What you've suggested is exactly what should happen. Hundreds of thousands of letters from people who aren't titled multi billionaire Captains of Industry. Maybe just the homeless and the disabled and then we'll see what the country make of these self important leeches.

Interesting statistic from BigjohnOwls that 20% have been given titles by Cameron. Quite a cheap testimonial

PS What happened to Osborne's elocution lessons? He's started sounding like a smug Bullingdon Boy again
    http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/files/2010/12/buller.jpg
  • Options
    In my opinion Mark Reckless is one of the finest politicians of the last few years. His speech on foreign aid in the face of widespread opposition was nothing short of inspiring. An honest, principled man. Something you do not see much of these days in politics.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

tyson said:

@Roger

Sean F, with you all the way: *places pinky over mouth*
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@chrisshipitv: NEW: First view of the ITV #leadersdebate studio. Which will air at 8pm tomorrow with @julieetchitv http://t.co/M16cPp2aKY

A photo in which you can't actually see the studio. Excellent.
  • Options

I believe in days gone by that used to be called a petition.
  • Options

They couldn't find 100 businessmen to sign it then.
  • Options
    I predict a larger Lab lead with YouGov tonight
  • Options
    Last election Gordon used an Elvis Presley impersonator.

Ed M has sent for Mr. Peter Duncan.

• Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820

This letter from business leaders really has stung PB lefties judging by the anger of some of their posts today. Chuka dismissed it as a stunt and Labour apparently think it helpful in reinforcing the them and us narrative. However, it just looks like it's hurt.

Guardian trying to do a hatchet job on them - lots of froth and hate from the lefty-mob blogging BTL. Obviously very rattled. Half expecting the Guardian to related how one of them took part in a threesome at University (a la The Running Man).
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Scott_P said:

So from right to left we have Wood, Salmond, Cameron, Miliband, Farage, Clegg and Bennett.

Miliband will be in the centre flanked by Farage on his left and Cameron on his right from the audience point of view.
  • Options

Boo. YouGov can take a walk*.

*unless it's a whopping Tory lead, in which case Gold Standard
  • Options

Last election Gordon used an Elvis Presley impersonator.

Ed M has sent for Mr. Peter Duncan.

Insert joke about "here is one I made earlier", "sticky back plastic" and made badly made crafted items.
  • Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012
    HYUFD said:

Anyone see John Prescott on 'Big Star Little Star' tonight with his 5 year old grandaughter?

Thankfully no.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,369
    We're getting a bit leafleted out in Broxtowe - most households have now had 3-4 each from Labour and Tories, and I'm starting to hear "mercy, no more" comments. The other parties have been virtually silent so far, and everyone accepts that it's a two-horse race (which doesn't mean that some people won't vote for others, just that they accept that it means abstaining on the choice of MP). The LibDem candidate (a retiring borough councillor who was mayor before - nice guy) has now materialised, and is politely urging people to vote LibDem at least in the local elections.

The off-beat element is this outfit, who are standing here and in Sherwood and one other E Mids seat:

https://j4mb.wordpress.com/
  • Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108
    MikeL said:

UKIP's elevation to Major Party (albeit only E&W) has had an effect - in reducing the amount of LD coverage - because the BBC has decided not to give the LDs much more coverage than UKIP - implying the BBC is not actually taking any significant notice of the E&W point.

This was what the Kippers were told 4 or 5 weeks ago when first discussed but they didn't think it is what would happen.
  • Options

Boo. YouGov can take a walk*.

*unless it's a whopping Tory lead, in which case Gold Standard
    I just want to see another night of Labour posters and SeanT getting overexcited by one poll.

Saturday night was hilarious.
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

In my opinion Mark Reckless is one of the finest politicians of the last few years. His speech on foreign aid in the face of widespread opposition was nothing short of inspiring. An honest, principled man. Something you do not see much of these days in politics.

Well said Douglas!
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,567
    edited April 2015
    MP_SE said:

That would also explain his unpopularity in the Conservative party.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362

Atul Hatwal @atulh

Labour’s response to the Tories’ business letter has been an epic act of political self-harm -Me on a defining moment http://labour-uncut.co.uk/2015/04/01/labours-response-to-the-tories-business-letter-has-been-an-epic-act-of-political-self-harm/#more-19465

• Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091

You know it's going to be a Tory lead, and are simply trying to coax out some good quotes from us PBLabourites, aren't you?
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    LMAO at "attacks enterprise".

I remember when the broadsheets atleast pretended to be objective.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095

We're getting a bit leafleted out in Broxtowe - most households have now had 3-4 each from Labour and Tories, and I'm starting to hear "mercy, no more" comments. The other parties have been virtually silent so far, and everyone accepts that it's a two-horse race (which doesn't mean that some people won't vote for others, just that they accept that it means abstaining on the choice of MP). The LibDem candidate (a retiring borough councillor who was mayor before - nice guy) has now materialised, and is politely urging people to vote LibDem at least in the local elections.

The off-beat element is this outfit, who are standing here and in Sherwood and one other E Mids seat:

Come on then spit it out .. You were keen to tell us you were way out in the lead..8% wasn't it??? Is this still the case? What happened to Tories for Palmer, and how come Ms Soubry can manage 4 leaflets without any team to back her up?
  • Options

Nick
    In Thanet S:

My 12 year old is saving every leaflet for a school project (good to see they are taking an interest!!)
    so far -5 (yes- five) Conservative
    4 UKIP
    No others that i am aware of.

Tuesday morning recycling in the village is a sea of blue and purple !!
  • Options

MP_SE said:

Well said Douglas!
    Some might say the best TPD in Parliament.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    Pulpstar said:

dr_spyn said:

There is a leaflet sitting in the kitchen - I have photographed it, need to have another go at uploading it on to that leaflet website - though it does have a dodgy bar chart all of its own. When I up load it I'll let you and others know. Though you may find some of it on Twitter.
  • Options
    Dan H scoreboard.... 3 days so far. Astounding news...

C 3, L 0, LD 0, Other 0

Presume one of the goose eggs will be broken on Friday then post the debate?
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,567

So basically the Tory's corporate chums protecting their bonuses vs. Labour's assorted state-suckling luvvies wanting more taxpayer funded largesse. UKIP anyone?
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095

MP_SE said:

That would also explain his unpopularity in the Conservative party.
    Honest and principled? Don't make me laugh. He is as TSE might put it, a treacherous pigdog, who deserves unseating.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144

Cyclefree said:

Point of order Ms Cyclefree, Blair was never questioned under caution. He does hold the distinction of being the First Prime Minister questioned in Downing Street.

His associates told the police, Blair would resign if he was questioned under caution.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1546588/Police-told-Blair-would-resign-if-cautioned.html
    Damn, was it really that easy to have got rid of him?
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited April 2015
    Danny565 said:

I remember when the broadsheets at least pretended to be objective.
    Blimey, you must be older than JackW :)
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,956
    Danny565 said:

I remember when the broadsheets atleast pretended to be objective.
    Two resounding anti-Labour stories and a fab picture to boot. Has the Telegraph decided to support the Tories after all??

This discussion has been closed.