Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The voters’ verdict on the impact of the budget

Comments

• Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    edited March 2015

french municipals exit polls

ump 29%
    fn 26%
    ps 21%

I wonder if there will be a Bibi effect on the FN being understated in France ?

JackW said:

Amazing scenes in Leicester as hordes of Jacobites line the streets to honour the White Rose of York.

Is that the White Cockade lining up with the White Rose?

Personally I'm all for Henry Tewdur, although his treatment of the "undeserving poor' was far worse than IDS'.
    The Jacobites after all wanted to bring back Popery!
    Your name vill also go on zee list .... Vot is it ?

• Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,172
    JackW said:

ump 29%
    fn 26%
    ps 21%

JackW said:

Amazing scenes in Leicester as hordes of Jacobites line the streets to honour the White Rose of York.

Personally I'm all for Henry Tewdur, although his treatment of the "undeserving poor' was far worse than IDS'.
    Your name vill also go zee list .... Vot is it ?

Oliver will look after me.
  • Options
    timmotimmo Posts: 1,469
    rcs1000 said:

timmo said:

ump 29%
    fn 26%
    ps 21%

Is that good or bad for the FN?
    Very bad, they were as high as 37-38% in some polling
    Just shows how polls can go badly wrong then..a lesson for here perhaps..
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,326

Mr. 1000, think that's in response to the way Syriza's going in Greece?

And what do you make of the view espoused here earlier in the day that Greece may 'accidentally' leave the single currency?

Probably, yes

And I think Grexiddent is very likely. Maybe as soon as this week.
  • Options
    state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,436
    edited March 2015
    HYUFD said:

Antifrank He would have preferred to be buried in York Minster at least, but considering he may well have been a serial killer, as David Starkey is now saying 99% certain he murdered his nephews, I don't think he can have too many complaints about his solemn burial in Leicester Cathedral today. (Personally as someone who also has had scoliosis, and had an operation for it 10 years ago, I have some sympathy for Richard, and he did introduce some key reforms, but he was no Saint)

I suspect that if you told him he would have his funeral televised by some witchcraft of radio waves and get to ride in a machine capable of upteen horse power he would have been too dazed to be that fussy as to where he got buried
  • Options
    The FN looked certain to top the French first round. If they are on 25%, then they've barely progressed from last time, and Mme Le Pen is not going to be President.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,339
    Also interesting discussion now of all the different actors who have played Richard and their interpretations of him, from Laurence Olivier, Robert Lindsay and Ian McKellen to Kevin Spacey and Al Pacino
  • Options
    frpenkridgefrpenkridge Posts: 670
    Jon Snow couldn't quite get over his amazement that Leicester had a Ladbrooks.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,820
    rcs1000 said:

The FN looked certain to top the French first round. If they are on 25%, then they've barely progressed from last time, and Mme Le Pen is not going to be President.

I suppose like JackW I'd say waiting for some actual results would be prudent.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Antifrank He would have preferred to be buried in York Minster at least, but considering he may well have been a serial killer, as David Starkey is now saying 99% certain he murdered his nephews, I don't think he can have too many complaints about his solemn burial in Leicester Cathedral today. (Personally as someone who also has had scoliosis, and had an operation for it 10 years ago, I have some sympathy for Richard, and he did introduce some key reforms, but he was no Saint)

Richard III was not unlike most English monarchs in deciding potential rivals should leave this mortal coil sooner rather later.

• Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012
    HYUFD said:

Hengists Gift Well Wellington said Waterloo was won on the playing fields of Eton, perhaps Cameron could win on its dining halls, especially as he is fond of his puddings

Unfortunately Wellington never said that, and Eton did not have any playing fields.

He did say, quite appropriately of the next few weeks, ''Hard pounding this, gentlemen; let’s see who will pound longest''
  • Options
    Starkey being bitchy now about Philippa Langley and a novelist both more sympathetic to Richard, historian Helen Cross says it probably was him as was usual for the time to get rid of his rivals, although he did introduce some later reforms
  • Options
    corporealcorporeal Posts: 2,549
    SeanT said:

Apparently, the guy who frightened Nigel Farage's kids today once "superglued himself to Gordon Brown".

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2008/jul/25/gordonbrown.activists

Did he do that voluntarily or was he sentenced to it as punishment?
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Also, next week we have round two and we can see if UMP supporters are more likely to back the FN than they have been previously.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    If Richard III hadn't died at Bosworth, would the English have still broken with Rome?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,209

HYUFD said:

Hengists Gift Well Wellington said Waterloo was won on the playing fields of Eton, perhaps Cameron could win on its dining halls, especially as he is fond of his puddings

Unfortunately Wellington never said that, and Eton did not have any playing fields.

He did say, quite appropriately of the next few weeks, ''Hard pounding this, gentlemen; let’s see who will pound longest''
    The Dockside Hooker Regiment gave a fine account of themselves.....

• Options
    Paul_Mid_BedsPaul_Mid_Beds Posts: 1,409
    edited March 2015

HYUFD said:

I suspect that if you told him he would have his funeral televised by some witchcraft of radio waves and get to ride in a machine capable of upteen horse power he would have been too dazed to be that fussy as to where he got buried
    I expect his immortal soul is rather more cross about the fact that his funeral is being conducted by the organisation set up by the heretic that his vanquisher Henry Tudor spawned, and therefore he is being denied his right as a Catholic to a Catholic Requiem Mass and will be buried in a building run by the heretics. The final rubbing of his nose in it.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Also, next week we have round two and we can see if UMP supporters are more likely to back the FN than they have been previously.
    Sarkozy is calling on them not to.

Seems almost perverse that he's back on the scene, France is stuck in a rut politically.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    JackW I stand corrected then, although of course the Hanoverians would have been distantly connected through George 1sts mother, Sophia of the Palatinate, James 1sts granddaughter, James 1st was also a great, great grandson of Henry V1I as well as Elizabeth of York, and Henry was led the Lancastrians at Bosworth so the Stuarts would have had Lancastrian links too once Henry united the 2 houses
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    antifrank said:

HYUFD said:

JackW Wouldn't the Jacobites have been neutral on the wars as it was several centuries before both the Stuarts and Hanoverians took the throne?

I expect that Richard III would have been unhappy to be reburied in a heretics' place of worship.
    You cannot blame him for that. I'm going to be very upset at being buried once.
    I have to be honest and say I have not got any time for the child murdering Yorkist usurper.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Seems almost perverse that he's back on the scene, France is stuck in a rut politically.
    The irony is that Sarkozy is a brilliant man. Just terribly, terribly lazy.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    JackW said:

ump 29%
    fn 26%
    ps 21%

JackW said:

Don't tell him Pike

Is his Majesty King Francis II from the Yorkist line?

Oh that his funeral could have been in Westminster Cathedral with Cardinal Nichols presiding and King Francis II there with sword raised during the gospel as befitting the Defender of the Faith.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

I expect his immortal soul is rather more cross about the fact that his funeral is being conducted by the organisation set up by the heretic that his vanquisher Henry Tudor spawned, and therefore he is being denied his right as a Catholic to a Catholic Requiem Mass and will be buried in a building run by the heretics. The final rubbing of his nose in it.
    I'm not sure that those in heaven (or hell) have any connection with the temporal world.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Hmm having worked in France during most of his presidency he was very good at hiding his brilliance. The place stagnated.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

I thought they were pounded, rather than pounding.
  • Options
    PaulMidBeds Not entirely, Cardinal Vincent Nichols gave the sermon and waved incense and holy water around his coffin
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

If Richard III hadn't died at Bosworth, would the English have still broken with Rome?

Probably not. Richard's heir and wife died prior to Bosworth so he would have had to remarry and produce heirs.

• Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,088
    On the EU we can debate what the costs might be of leaving. However so far no-one seems to be concerned about the costs of six years of uncertainty over our future. Could it already be harming us?
  • Options
    frpenkridgefrpenkridge Posts: 670
    Richard III has already had his Catholic funeral.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Starkey 'Richard III the Gordon Brown of Kings, he conspires for power but once he gets it has no idea what to do with it'

JackW Yes, he was a man of his time
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

I'm not sure that those in heaven (or hell) have any connection with the temporal world.
    I thought the Cardinal Archbishop of Westminster was going to be nvolved in the final service?
  • Options
    JackW said:

dr_spyn said:

Probably not. Richard's heir and wife died prior to Bosworth so he would have had to remarry and produce heirs.

Didn't he have a designated heir?
  • Options

SeanT said:

This anti-UKIP stuff is bullshit now. You can just about defend egging a politician at hustings, or even harrassing a pol trying to make a Glasgow speech or open a party office in Rotherham.

Impossible to justify invading his private life, scaring his kids, pushing him out of a pub, jumping up and down on his car, etc.

The police have to arrest these people before they get Farage elected as prime minister.

Even I find some of these people annoying. Here in Cardiff we had enough of it with the Nato summit. Whilst a lot of people were understandably frustrated about town being shut down and the endless security rigmarole, the band of protesters beomaning the evil rulers of the world and their nefarious plans to enslave the world's poor was tiresome in the extreme.

I consider that the anti NATO rubbish from far lefties is all part of the flight from Labour in Scotland. They have found a new home and a new mechanism, a new lever, to further their ambitions.
  • Options
    Say what you like about Richard 111 but he gave a good lesson in leadership at the end. If many a modern leader would only say' look I caused this I will be the first to go down because of it' people might respect our leaders more
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642

On the EU we can debate what the costs might be of leaving. However so far no-one seems to be concerned about the costs of six years of uncertainty over our future. Could it already be harming us?

Car manufacturers have made substantial investments in the UK whilst talk of a referendum has been ongoing. If they thought there was a risk they would not have invested. The access to the EU market is one of many many reasons as to why the UK is seen as an attractive place to set up a business.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    OKC Indeed Cardinal Nichols gave the sermon today, plus added incense and holy water

I believe Richard's son, Edward of Middleham Prince of Wales, died age 10
  • Options

JackW said:

ump 29%
    fn 26%
    ps 21%

JackW said:

Don't tell him Pike

Oh that his funeral could have been in Westminster Cathedral with Cardinal Nichols presiding and King Francis II there with sword raised during the gospel as befitting the Defender of the Faith.
    As a Cromwellian we use pikes, but not as names.
  • Options

JackW said:

ump 29%
    fn 26%
    ps 21%

JackW said:

Don't tell him Pike

As in "they don't like it up em?"
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,947
    Reeks of panic but will be very popular IMO. Could decide the election in the Tories favour IMO

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/tories-revive-margaret-thatchers-right-5382653#ICID=sharebar_twitter
  • Options

HYUFD said:

A Buddhist monk and a Muslim Imam in the congregation at Leicester Cathedral, along with the Duke of Gloucester to add to the surreal occasion. Ceremony conducted by the Bishop of Leicester alongside Cardinal Vincent Nichols to represent Richard's Catholic past

It is surreal. The BBC say that the coffin was made from English Oak from the Duchy of Cornwall. Looks like flatpack from IKEA to me!
    As it happens, so I am told, he, or rather his remains, have not actually been buried yet. Just lying in state. We have to go through all this again on Thursday. You have to hand it to the Leicester Tourist Board.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    rcs1000 said:

As Spain is a completely proportional system (with no first party boost)....

Spain has a strange system. Conscious malapportionment of districts, almost identical to the US Electoral Vote system. Favours the smaller rural districts, and consequently rightist and regional parties. D'Hondt tends to re-inforce this.

Probably the closest "PR" system to FPTP in Europe...
  • Options

JackW said:

ump 29%
    fn 26%
    ps 21%

JackW said:

Don't tell him Pike

Francis, Duke of Bavaria, is accepted by some Jacobites though not me as the legitimate claimant to the throne.

He is a descendant of the Yorkist line through King Charles I daughter Henrietta Anne and through her daughter to the House of Savoy and eventually to Duke Francis.

• Options

Reeks of panic but will be very popular IMO. Could decide the election in the Tories favour IMO

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/tories-revive-margaret-thatchers-right-5382653#ICID=sharebar_twitter

This was speculated about some time ago. Seems logical enough.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,439

Seems a bit late in the day to be throwing that at the electorate. Also, I only think it worked as a vote winner as and when people have actually bought their home off the council, not the vague promise of in the future you might be able to of a housing association.
  • Options
    JackW said:

JackW said:

ump 29%
    fn 26%
    ps 21%

JackW said:

Don't tell him Pike

Francis, Duke of Bavaria, is accepted by some Jacobites though not me as the legitimate claimant to the throne.

He is a descendant of the Yorkist line through King Charles I daughter Henrietta Anne and through her daughter to the House of Savoy and eventually to Duke Francis.

So who is the real King across the water?
  • Options
    edited March 2015

JackW said:

ump 29%
    fn 26%
    ps 21%

JackW said:

Don't tell him Pike

As in "they don't like it up em?"
    That's why we won!
  • Options

I'm no fan of Labour but this is appalling. Just as the original council house selling was. If Miliband does win he needs to pass an act that makes it impossible for the Tories to do this in the future. Perhaps needing a 75% majority in both houses to do it.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,209

HYUFD said:

I thought they were pounded, rather than pounding.
    Regimental motto: lie back and think of England....

• Options
    edited March 2015
    Jon Snow finds he was related to Jon of Gaunt and hence to Richard IIIrd through Peter Snow through 15 generations, also related to the Stanleys who betrayed Richard
  • Options

This was speculated about some time ago. Seems logical enough.
    As game changers go this could be BIG if correct
  • Options
    Hengists_GiftHengists_Gift Posts: 628
    edited March 2015

Net contributions aside, how do you differentiate between that and the financial harm that four decades of excess regulation, open immigration and so forth might well have cost us or for that matter what would be the difference between the current debate and that over Lisbon and the referendum that never was or the debate over the Euro or the ERM overall?

Suffice to say the costs of the EU to this country are significant and wide-ranging and far greater than any pro European would care to admit. Those relating to uncertainty because of the referendum issue I suspect are very small in comparison and in particular will likely pale into insignificance when compared to the costs incurred by us in regard to the Eurozone crisis.
  • Options

I'm no fan of Labour but this is appalling. Just as the original council house selling was. If Miliband does win he needs to pass an act that makes it impossible for the Tories to do this in the future. Perhaps needing a 75% majority in both houses to do it.
    Now that would be appalling!
  • Options
    edited March 2015

Why is it a appalling policy? IMO it is only bad, if you don't build new council / house association homes that are affordable as part of a mix of new housing stock.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    MP_SE said:

Car manufacturers have made substantial investments in the UK whilst talk of a referendum has been ongoing. If they thought there was a risk they would not have invested. The access to the EU market is one of many many reasons as to why the UK is seen as an attractive place to set up a business.
    If we stay in the EEA then the level of uncertainty can be minimised and the level of inward investment continued. If this were to be a state of affairs that was seen as settled then it might well overcome any claimed downside to either leaving all together or staying in an EU of ever closer union.

Its worth pointing out that Cameron has plainly said he does not want us part of an ever closer union. As far as I am aware Miliband has not commented.
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664

I hope you are not suggesting that he should pass such an Act before a judge-led enquiry has reported on the issue. There would also be some constitutional difficulties.

Otherwise, I tend to agree.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    I think its a bad policy but knock down house purchase will buy votes IMO
  • Options
    JackW There was some talk of Duke Francis being invited to be King of Scotland had the independence vote been Yes
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    SeanT said:

This anti-UKIP stuff is bullshit now. You can just about defend egging a politician at hustings, or even harrassing a pol trying to make a Glasgow speech or open a party office in Rotherham.

Impossible to justify invading his private life, scaring his kids, pushing him out of a pub, jumping up and down on his car, etc.

The police have to arrest these people before they get Farage elected as prime minister.

It's Fascistic. Did any of them get arrested?
  • Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293

Panic? This has been talked about for quite some time. I think there needs to be a Yin to the Yang though. A large social house building programme via housing associations, not local authorities. Who shouldnt be let anywhere near social housing.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    re: Spain

And the relatively small size of the Congress of Deputies also tends to favour larger parties.
  • Options
    The BBC has cancelled a Top Gear Live event that was set to go ahead in Norway next week with Jeremy Clarkson as its star.

In another indication that the corporation may be about to sack the controversial presenter, a spokesman apologised to fans and said the four shows would need to be rescheduled.

Only last week, the BBC insisted the events would go ahead as planned, despite Clarkson’s suspension for allegedly punching a producer in a row over hot food. Insiders said Top Gear Live's producers did not want to disappoint the 20,000 fans who had booked tickets.

But the last minute cancellation suggests a change of heart behind the scenes, and that Clarkson’s days at the BBC may be numbered.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/bbc/11488735/Top-Gear-Live-shows-cancelled-as-Jeremy-Clarksons-future-thrown-into-further-doubt.html

Goner...
  • Options

JackW said:

dr_spyn said:

Yes two.

Richard firstly named his nephew Edward Earl of Warwick as heir. He was imprisoned by Henry VII and subsequently executed in 1499, whereby the Plantagenet male line became extinct.

Richard passed over the Earl of Warwick in favour of another nephew, John de la Pole Earl of Lincoln a son of his sister Elizabeth. He was killed in rebellion to Henry Tudor at the Battle of Stoke in 1487.

• Options

SeanT said:

As an unreconstructed Leftie I sincerely hope so. There's a right to demonstrate but ......
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    MP_SE said:

I don't think that's true.

The UK has historically been the number two country in Europe for inward investment (as a percentage of GDP), behind only Ireland. Here is the data comparing 2005 and 2013:
    		2005	2013
    Ireland 23.2 22.9
    Portugal 2.3 3.6
    Spain 2.7 3.3
    UK 10.9 1.4
    Greece 0.3 1.1
    Germany 1.5 0.9
    Italy 1.1 0.6
    France 4.2 0.1
    As far as the car industry, Nissan chose to build its new "Golf-killer" in Spain rather than in the UK, which was a big blow to Sunderland. And Ford has closed down its transit plant in Southampton, among other things.

In fact, Spain has just moved into second place (behind Germany) as the number two car maker in Europe.
  • Options
    Hengists_GiftHengists_Gift Posts: 628
    edited March 2015

MP_SE said:

If we stay in the EEA then the level of uncertainty can be minimised and the level of inward investment continued. If this were to be a state of affairs that was seen as settled then it might well overcome any claimed downside to either leaving all together or staying in an EU of ever closer union.

Its worth pointing out that Cameron has plainly said he does not want us part of an ever closer union. As far as I am aware Miliband has not commented.
    And Merkel has made it clear that she (and Germany) expects the UK to toe the line and join in. Dave will vacillate about it long and hard but ultimately if he's still in power at that point he will do as he is told.
  • Options

JackW said:

JackW said:

ump 29%
    fn 26%
    ps 21%

JackW said:

Don't tell him Pike

Elizabeth II :smile:
    HYUFD said:

JackW There was some talk of Duke Francis being invited to be King of Scotland had the independence vote been Yes

Only by some tartan turnips.

• Options
    JackW said:

JackW said:

dr_spyn said:

Yes two.

Richard firstly named his nephew Edward Earl of Warwick as heir. He was imprisoned by Henry VII and subsequently executed in 1499, whereby the Plantagenet male line became extinct.

Richard passed over the Earl of Warwick in favour of another nephew, John de la Pole Earl of Lincoln a son of his sister Elizabeth. He was killed in rebellion to Henry Tudor at the Battle of Stoke in 1487.

Given the normal practice at the time, I wonder why Edward, Earl of Warwick didn't do a runner to France or Burgundy asap.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,485
    JackW said:

dr_spyn said:

I disagree. The Protestant arc was likely to include England irrespective of who was king or queen at the time. Henry VIII's break with Rome may well have been avoided but one that was part of the wider Reformation was much more likely at some time or other (or if it hadn't happened, it would only have been because the intellectual challenge it presented was bloodily put down, whether as a government-led terror or in a civil war).
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,596
    MP_SE said:

isam said:

Farage attacked by protestors supporting gay rights, the right to public breastfeeding and a muslim call to prayer eh?

You could get away with that combo in a Kent pub, would like to see them try it in a mosque

These type of people have been around for years. If it was not UKIP they would find something else to protest about as they are desperate for finding a purpose to their sorry lives. They are literally the dregs of society.

The police used to take a very active interest in these types of groups as they considered them subversive.
    Yes but then they realised how pathetic and sad they were. I think Wolfie Smith had a fair bit to do with it with his brilliant "Think ahea|".

I remember that at University the Anti Nazi League supporters were in a league of their own for pathos. They were never happy unless they could find some BNP supporter to harass, no matter how sad or how lonely.

Defining yourself by what you oppose is never a good idea.
  • Options

JackW said:

dr_spyn said:

I disagree. The Protestant arc was likely to include England irrespective of who was king or queen at the time. Henry VIII's break with Rome may well have been avoided but one that was part of the wider Reformation was much more likely at some time or other (or if it hadn't happened, it would only have been because the intellectual challenge it presented was bloodily put down, whether as a government-led terror or in a civil war).
    Look at Scotland.
    We might have got away with not destroying best part of 1000 years of religious art, though.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Yeah. I thought Sarko was gonna be France's Thatcher. He had the intellectual potential and insight. Yet he got distracted. Cherchez la femme.
    "Yet he got distracted. Cherchez la femme"

la femme was his distraction, no?
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143

SeanT said:

As an unreconstructed Leftie I sincerely hope so. There's a right to demonstrate but .....
    In my (leftie) demonstrating days we made a big thing of non-violent direct action. Hounding people out of pubs it was not.
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    Right-to-buy practically killed off the building of Social Housing in Local Government - no Council could afford to build properties that they would be forced to sell later without compensation. It has led directly to the ridiculous cost of Housing Benefit with the taxpayer held to ransom by the market (maybe it would be different if Housing Benefit was localised giving local authorities an incentive but that's not likely to happen).

Extend right-to-buy to Housing associations on the same model and social housing disappears within a generation at incalculable cost to the country.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

MP_SE said:

The UK has historically been the number two country in Europe for inward investment (as a percentage of GDP), behind only Ireland. Here is the data comparing 2005 and 2013:
    		2005	2013
    Ireland 23.2 22.9
    Portugal 2.3 3.6
    Spain 2.7 3.3
    UK 10.9 1.4
    Greece 0.3 1.1
    Germany 1.5 0.9
    Italy 1.1 0.6
    France 4.2 0.1
    As far as the car industry, Nissan chose to build its new "Golf-killer" in Spain rather than in the UK, which was a big blow to Sunderland. And Ford has closed down its transit plant in Southampton, among other things.

In fact, Spain has just moved into second place (behind Germany) as the number two car maker in Europe.
    The idea that the EU is good for the UK car industry is laughable. All the UKs advantages went when the wall came down and eastern europe opened.

I don't understand where your big blow for Sunderland comes from it's Europe's most effcient car plant and running round the clock. More likely it has to do with the cost and difficulty of sacking Spaniards in plants running below capacity.

Ford's move on the Transit was headlined years ago, it's now made in Turkey. Which isn't in the EU.
  • Options
    JackW said:

JackW said:

JackW said:

ump 29%
    fn 26%
    ps 21%

JackW said:

Don't tell him Pike

HYUFD said:

I thought she is Elizabeth I up there and I didn't think she had any Jacobite connection. Or is this a different Elizabeth?
  • Options

JackW said:

JackW said:

dr_spyn said:

Yes two.

Given the normal practice at the time, I wonder why Edward, Earl of Warwick didn't do a runner to France or Burgundy asap.
    I used to have a wonderful Ladybird book called "Warwick the Kingmaker." It was one of my favourites when I was about 10. Interesting guy in interesting times.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    rcs1000 said:

MP_SE said:

2005	2013
    Ireland 23.2 22.9
    Portugal 2.3 3.6
    Spain 2.7 3.3
    UK 10.9 1.4
    Greece 0.3 1.1
    Germany 1.5 0.9
    Italy 1.1 0.6
    France 4.2 0.1

3 March 2014 - Entek International Ltd - £10 million

3 Feb 2014 - RDM Group - £400,000 for a new facility

28 Jan 2014 - Nissan Coventry - £6 million

16 Jan 2014 - Automative Insulations - Invested in 65,000 sq ft premises

9 Jan 2014 - Rolls Royce announced creation of 100 new jobs

20 Nov 2013 - Sertec - New midlands plant creating 150 jobs

4 Nov 13 - Gestamp - £150,000 for expanding its facility

25 Oct 13 - Faurecia - 60 news jobs

14 Oct 13 - Cosworth - £30 million for new facility

25 Sep 13 - ElringKlinger - £7 million expansions of existing site

11 Sep 13 - LTC - £150 million 5 year investment plan

10 Sep 13 - Jaguar Land Rover - £1.5 billion at Solihull creating 1,700 jobs

23 Jul 13 - Bentley - £800 million into existing plant and 1000 more jobs

17 Jul 13 - Rolls Royce - 100 new jobs

6 Jun 13 - Stadco - £15 million investment in existing facility.

22 Apr 13 - Ford - £24 million in existing plant.

6 Mar 13 - Jaguar Land Rover - £150 million to facility in Wolverhampton

1 March - Toyota - 70 new jobs

5 Feb 13 - Brose - £15 million investment

Total investments from automotive industry since Dave's bloomberg speach = £2.7 billion. Fears of a Brexit are unfounded.
  • Options
    alex. said:

Right-to-buy practically killed off the building of Social Housing in Local Government - no Council could afford to build properties that they would be forced to sell later without compensation. It has led directly to the ridiculous cost of Housing Benefit with the taxpayer held to ransom by the market (maybe it would be different if Housing Benefit was localised giving local authorities an incentive but that's not likely to happen).

Extend right-to-buy to Housing associations on the same model and social housing disappears within a generation at incalculable cost to the country.

Quite.

And a good amount of that former council housing stock is now in the hands of buy to let parasites living off housing benefit.
  • Options

JackW said:

JackW said:

dr_spyn said:

Yes two.

As far as I aware the circumstances surrounding the capture of the ten year old Earl after Bosworth are unknown.

However it's likely that after his victory Henry Tudor wouldn't have been backward in rounding up potential rivals even if they were little boys .... sounds familiar ?

• Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,208

SeanT said:

Even I find some of these people annoying. Here in Cardiff we had enough of it with the Nato summit. Whilst a lot of people were understandably frustrated about town being shut down and the endless security rigmarole, the band of protesters beomaning the evil rulers of the world and their nefarious plans to enslave the world's poor was tiresome in the extreme.

I consider that the anti NATO rubbish from far lefties is all part of the flight from Labour in Scotland. They have found a new home and a new mechanism, a new lever, to further their ambitions.
    Eh? Perhaps the SSP and Greens, but no more surely than elsewhere in rUK. The SNP voted, on a free vote no less, to seek to remain within NATO as its policy.

• Options
    edited March 2015

JackW said:

JackW said:

JackW said:

ump 29%
    fn 26%
    ps 21%

JackW said:

Don't tell him Pike

HYUFD said:

I thought she is Elizabeth I up there and I didn't think she had any Jacobite connection. Or is this a different Elizabeth?
    You take the higher number. So Elizabeth II, but if you had another James say then he'd be the 8th (I think?)
  • Options

JackW said:

JackW said:

JackW said:

ump 29%
    fn 26%
    ps 21%

JackW said:

Don't tell him Pike

HYUFD said:

She is indeed ER in Scotland, the senior monarchy - hence that is what is on the pillar boxes, and the ship misleadingly known as QE2 is actually 'Queen Elizabeth'.

The primary Jacobite connexion is collateral (i.e. no closer than the Duke of Cumberland was to Charles Edward Stuart/Charles III (whichever you prefer).

• Options

That would be outrageously undemocratic.

Why stop at that bill? Why not make it part of all legislation you really, really don't want repealing? Indeed, why stop at 75%? Why not make it 90, or 95, or 100?

There is no case for preventing the passage of legislation if it has a plurality of support in both Houses, or a consistent plurality of support in the Commons.

I had concerns at the passage of the FTPA introducing the principle that a vote carried by an insufficiently large margin doesn't count but at least that related to an internal parliamentary procedure.

There is no case for having some laws sit higher than others.
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

Total investments since Dave's bloomberg speach = £2.7 billion

Nevertheless, in this parliament we've seen the closure of Ford's Southampton and Dagenham plants (alone) which lost perhaps 4,000 jobs, and we've seen the elimination of their supply chains.

In 2014, Germany increased its car and commercial vehicle prouction by 3.3%, France managed 4.4%, Italy was up 6.0%, the Czech Republic managed 10.4% and Spain was up 11.1%.

What did we manage? 0.1%

(See: http://www.oica.net/category/production-statistics/)

Someone pointing to the UK car industry as an area where we are gaining ground relative to our neighbours is smoking crack.
  • Options
    corporeal said:

JackW said:

JackW said:

JackW said:

ump 29%
    fn 26%
    ps 21%

JackW said:

Don't tell him Pike

HYUFD said:

You take the higher number. So Elizabeth II, but if you had another James say then he'd be the 8th (I think?)
    No, it's where you are that counts. James VI and I is known as I down south but Jamie the Saxt up here, likewise Prince of Wales/Duke of Rothesay. The example of James VII shows that the higher number doesn't count.

It doesn't work either if you use the United Kingdom as EIIR wouldn't apply - our current sovereign would be Elizabet 1 of the UK.

• Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    alex. said:

It was the banning of local council's from using the main ney from the sales to build more houses that was the killer. As ever the Thatcherite policy of spending money from capital sales on current account spending messed things up long term.
  • Options

The idea that the EU is good for the UK car industry is laughable. All the UKs advantages went when the wall came down and eastern europe opened.

I don't understand where your big blow for Sunderland comes from it's Europe's most effcient car plant and running round the clock. More likely it has to do with the cost and difficulty of sacking Spaniards in plants running below capacity.

Ford's move on the Transit was headlined years ago, it's now made in Turkey. Which isn't in the EU.

Spain's now has some of the most liberal labour laws in Europe: the PP copied Mrs Thatcher's reforms almost down to the bullet point.

And the result of which has been a flood of inward investment into their car industry. See: http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/02/05/us-ford-spain-idUSKBN0L925B20150205, http://europe.autonews.com/article/20130204/ANE/130209952/nissan-will-build-vw-golf-rival-in-spain, http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/01/23/spain-cars-idUSL6N0ASE2O20130123
  • Options
    Jack W Indeed, hypothetical only
  • Options

Why stop at that bill? Why not make it part of all legislation you really, really don't want repealing? Indeed, why stop at 75%? Why not make it 90, or 95, or 100?

There is no case for preventing the passage of legislation if it has a plurality of support in both Houses, or a consistent plurality of support in the Commons.

I had concerns at the passage of the FTPA introducing the principle that a vote carried by an insufficiently large margin doesn't count but at least that related to an internal parliamentary procedure.

Also: you only need a simple majority to repeal the FTPA
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    I always wonder who advises people to do these interviews. Seems to me that it more often than not just increases how long the story runs for. Even if you have been wronged, you can't win (not that I am suggesting this guy has been wronged).

The whole Lord Fink thing probably would have been over in a day if he had just stuck to some really grey statement that he first came out with, which was basically worked in Switzerland at the time, so had a bank account, paid my taxes owed.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-32011321
  • Options
    Paul/Alex The mistake that needs to be rectified was that revenues from council house sales were not allowed to be put into building new social housing stock
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658

alex. said:

Quite.

And a good amount of that former council housing stock is now in the hands of buy to let parasites living off housing benefit.
    If they are going to introduce a policy to bribe people into home ownership, it makes far more sense to simply give them a discount on purchasing private sector housing. Dubious for its overall effect on prices for the Housing market, but at least the social stock gets maintained and would have the beneficial effect of actually increasing tenant turnover making it more likely that the occupants are those for whom it is best suited.

• Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    GUARDIAN SUPPORTS 'FARAGE ATTACKERS'

By not issuing a condemnation of the action of their own blogger in today's disgraceful actions the Guardian has given their tacit support to such activities.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

MP_SE said:

Nevertheless, in this parliament we've seen the closure of Ford's Southampton and Dagenham plants (alone) which lost perhaps 4,000 jobs, and we've seen the elimination of their supply chains.

In 2014, Germany increased its car and commercial vehicle prouction by 3.3%, France managed 4.4%, Italy was up 6.0%, the Czech Republic managed 10.4% and Spain was up 11.1%.

What did we manage? 0.1%

Someone pointing to the UK car industry as an area where we are gaining ground relative to our neighbours is smoking crack.
    Ford managed to move production to Turkey thanks to a loan from the EU...

My point still stands, that these companies would not have invested a substantial sum of money into UK manufacturing if they truly believed leaving the EU would damage their business. The EU is not the sole reason why businesses operate here. It is one of many reasons.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

corporeal said:

JackW said:

JackW said:

JackW said:

ump 29%
    fn 26%
    ps 21%

JackW said:

Don't tell him Pike

HYUFD said:

No, it's where you are that counts. James VI and I is known as I down south but Jamie the Saxt up here, likewise Prince of Wales/Duke of Rothesay. The example of James VII shows that the higher number doesn't count.

It doesn't work either if you use the United Kingdom as EIIR wouldn't apply - our current sovereign would be Elizabet 1 of the UK.

I agree it's a fudge, but I think that's the fudge they're currently using (since early 20th century).
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Also: you only need a simple majority to repeal the FTPA
    True. I was assuming that any bill along the lines that Paul suggests would be protected by a clause requiring a 75% majority for its own repeal too, otherwise it would serve no purpose.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

alex. said:

It was the banning of local council's from using the main ney from the sales to build more houses that was the killer. As ever the Thatcherite policy of spending money from capital sales on current account spending messed things up long term.
    But it wasn't. The policy required the LA to use the proceeds to pay off any debt that was outstanding on the housing. As this was frequently still more than the house had paid for it this meant that no additional borrowing was available to fund an alternative house.

It was a way of ensuring the exact opposite of what you describe. Whether additional new capital should have been made available at the same time in areas that required it is a different question. This was before mass immigration of course but we probably still needed more houses than we were building.
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

rcs1000 said:

MP_SE said:

What did we manage? 0.1%

Ford managed to move production to Turkey thanks to a loan from the EU...

My point still stands, that these companies would not have invested a substantial sum of money into UK manufacturing if they truly believed leaving the EU would damage their business. The EU is not the sole reason why businesses operate here. It is one of many reasons.
    I'm not defending the EU, I am pointing out that we have had NEGATIVE investment (with a net loss of jobs) in the UK car industy in the last five years, while some of our continental neighbours have had seen substantial investments.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

MP_SE said:

2005	2013
    Ireland 23.2 22.9
    Portugal 2.3 3.6
    Spain 2.7 3.3
    UK 10.9 1.4
    Greece 0.3 1.1
    Germany 1.5 0.9
    Italy 1.1 0.6
    France 4.2 0.1

Nissan is building the Infiniti Q30 and the QX30 in Sunderland. Infiniti is its posh high value brand. So its not 'lost out', Sunderland is running at capacity. Never mind, further high value cars are still being built by Jaguar Land Rover thanks to inward investment from India. Every 3 and 4 cylinder engine built by BMW is built in the UK.
    What might affect the Qashqai is the Renault equivalent built on the same underpinnings.

• Options
    rcs1000 said:

MP_SE said:

What did we manage? 0.1%

No you are. Check the data. Since 1990 only Germany and Spain have increased production among the major nations. France and Italy have fallen off a cliff in terms of production. The Uk is likely to overtake France by the end of this decade.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_motor_vehicle_production

UK production has more or less been flat over the period but the big shift is in value. Rover produced circa 500,000 cars in the 1990s todat BMW and JLR produce the same amount of cars but sell them at around two to three times the price.

Dagenham and Bridgend produce nealy all of Ford's powertrain in Europe.
This discussion has been closed.