Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The voters’ verdict on the impact of the budget

Comments

• Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012
    surbiton said:

RobD said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_P said:

@paulhutcheon: Alex Salmond says @thesnp won't support @uklabour plan to restore 50p tax rate http://t.co/w3eBxoLqmb

Have a look at the comment below the line which seriously questions that that was actually said. And Mr Salmond is not the same thing as the SNP anyway.
    If, as some contest, SNP = Scotland, then I think it's fair to say Alex Salmond = SNP.
    Demanding everything puts Scotland first is not a recipe for coalition. Its one thing to represent a wider countrywide political viewpoint, but to press for a narrow regional (and politically narrow as well) hegemony can only alienate voters in England. Since the SNP plan only works with Labour the largest party then everything the SNP have said makes it ever more mad for anyone in the North of England to vote Labour.
    You cannot desperately give "vows" to keep Scotland within the Union and then complain that their politics is narrow. The SNP stands for the independence of Scotland.

As they see it, by holding the balance of power, even if there is a minority Tory government with ,say, 290 seats, they can agree or disagree any government legislation. A form of guerrilla legislative warfare. Basically, drive the government crazy ! It is then the "English" who will want them out ! The SNP wins through the back door - same result. Can't fault them with their strategy. It is not up to them to worry about a stable UK government.
    For starters the person who waded in and promised Scotland Home Rule was Brown.
    Salmond's tactic has always been to provoke the English. Nothing new. As for independence that vote has gone. I do not see another one being offered, all it as presented quite clearly is English Votes for English Laws. Salmond also shows what a divided pork barrel place a regionalised UK or even England would become.
    My point is that their desire to hold Labour to ransom (they have already said no deals at all with the tories) is likely to alienate the Labour vote and get Scotland nothing.

Demanding the HS2 start in Scotland seems a bit daft as well, where would it go? The market for puely Edinburgh to Manchester must be limited. Starting in Birmingham might make sense.
    Thanks to devolution then if it starts in Scotland then it must I would have thought come out of the Scotland transport budget. Indeed I think Scotland have still to decide about the link beyond Leeds Manchester.
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    Moses_ said:

I have no idea who will come out best / win in this "charade" but it now seems that the future of the country, our destiny As a nation will depend on a sodding Tv programme.

FFS. It's not democracy it's "Soaps" box politic. Everyone will claim they won the debate as will the papers along political lines and no guesses as to where the BBC will fall. What does it prove? Nada , zilch, nothing absolutely feckall. . A complete shambles where the debate over a debate has hidden the important issues for weeks and months.

We deserve everything we are going to get .....we truly do

A country that it's people perceive that they don't have any major national problems will drift to charades like that.
    I remember in the late 90's America's only problem was where did President Clinton put his cigar, so they elected G.W.Bush so that they can have other more serious problems to deal with.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,037

antifrank said:

antifrank said:

So anti-UKIP protestors have failed to win over UKIP supporters on pb. I am not sure that they'll write the protest off as a failure solely on that account.

And its hardly a surprise that you would come running to their defence either. I bet you wish you were there?
    I'm not defending them. I think this kind of protest is crass and counter-productive.

I'm noting that two dozen Bufton Tuftons spluttering about anarchy in the UK isn't going to deter them. The opposite, in fact.
    Well you clearly have a delusionally overblown view of the impact of Pb.com. I really don't think what is expressed on here matters that much.
    How dare you suggest such a thing!
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

antifrank said:

antifrank said:

So anti-UKIP protestors have failed to win over UKIP supporters on pb. I am not sure that they'll write the protest off as a failure solely on that account.

And its hardly a surprise that you would come running to their defence either. I bet you wish you were there?
    I'm not defending them. I think this kind of protest is crass and counter-productive.

I'm noting that two dozen Bufton Tuftons spluttering about anarchy in the UK isn't going to deter them. The opposite, in fact.
    Well you clearly have a delusionally overblown view of the impact of Pb.com. I really don't think what is expressed on here matters that much.
    Er. No.

Do keep missing the point I am making.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Demanding the HS2 start in Scotland seems a bit daft as well, where would it go?

He didn't demand that, he used it as a notional example of an amendment to a Labour Budget if Labour wouldn't play ball with the SNP in a hung parliament.
  • Options
    'A hearse a hearse, my kingdom for a hearse' - In other news Richard III is being buried in Leicester.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,352
    edited March 2015
    The pub stunt is now number 1 on the BBC most read.

The protestors will be overjoyed and Ukip will probably gain a little.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Alistair said:

Scott_P said:

@paulhutcheon: Alex Salmond says @thesnp won't support @uklabour plan to restore 50p tax rate http://t.co/w3eBxoLqmb

The article is simply wrong - he did not say that.

He said the SNP proposed UK economic plan was for no tax rises but he didn't say he wouldn't support a 50p rate. His only statement on the top rate of tax is that he would vote against a reduction in the top rate of tax.

It might just be me though, interview is here.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b05p2r5s/the-andrew-marr-show-22032015
    In fact Salmond poitned out that the SNP voted against lowering 50p rate at the time. So the take away if you want to paraphrase anything is that the SNP supports the 50p tax rate.
  • Options

I really don't think what is expressed on here matters that much.

Quite. This makes the repetitive partisan shilling by various posters here rather curious.

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,139
    CD13 said:

The pub stunt is now number 1 on the BBC most read.

The protestors will be overjoyed and Ukip will probably gain a little.

The thought occurs, and I'm sure others have had it, is that if it's someone just having lunch, can it really be called 'protesting' unless they were protesting his choice of lunch?

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,053
    Mr. Flightpath, a nonsense that is. Ought to be buried in York.
  • Options
    edited March 2015

I really don't think what is expressed on here matters that much.

Quite. This makes the repetitive partisan shilling by various posters here rather curious.

No it isn't- it's not about other people being convinced or having an impact, it's about having a platform for expression, clearly. It certainly saves me from being even more of a boring old [under-30] fart who drones on about political minutiae at work and home. Or at least moderates it somewhat; I am still known partly as the guy who is interested in politics.

Off topic, Chelsea are once again a bloody lucky team.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

antifrank said:

antifrank said:

Er. No.

You suggested that the comments here opposing the demonstrators would motivate them. I suggested the comments on this site are not important enough to do so. I think my response is perfectly on point.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

surbiton said:

RobD said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_P said:

Have a look at the comment below the line which seriously questions that that was actually said. And Mr Salmond is not the same thing as the SNP anyway.
    If, as some contest, SNP = Scotland, then I think it's fair to say Alex Salmond = SNP.
    You cannot desperately give "vows" to keep Scotland within the Union and then complain that their politics is narrow. The SNP stands for the independence of Scotland.

As they see it, by holding the balance of power, even if there is a minority Tory government with ,say, 290 seats, they can agree or disagree any government legislation. A form of guerrilla legislative warfare. Basically, drive the government crazy ! It is then the "English" who will want them out ! The SNP wins through the back door - same result. Can't fault them with their strategy. It is not up to them to worry about a stable UK government.
    For starters the person who waded in and promised Scotland Home Rule was Brown.
    Salmond's tactic has always been to provoke the English. Nothing new. As for independence that vote has gone. I do not see another one being offered, all it as presented quite clearly is English Votes for English Laws. Salmond also shows what a divided pork barrel place a regionalised UK or even England would become.
    My point is that their desire to hold Labour to ransom (they have already said no deals at all with the tories) is likely to alienate the Labour vote and get Scotland nothing.

Demanding the HS2 start in Scotland seems a bit daft as well, where would it go? The market for puely Edinburgh to Manchester must be limited. Starting in Birmingham might make sense.
    Thanks to devolution then if it starts in Scotland then it must I would have thought come out of the Scotland transport budget. Indeed I think Scotland have still to decide about the link beyond Leeds Manchester.
    The fact is that if the SNP gets 40+ seats then I cannot imagine a scenario at the moment where it will not hold the balance of power. So whether there is a formal coalition with Labour or the Tories is immaterial. Nothing gets passed without their consent unless Labour and Conservative agree on some issues.

Ironically, the Lib Dems held the same position and did FA with it. Rank amateurs. They played the responsible game and the people are about to give them a suitable reward for it.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,810
    Poor Ed trapped under the heel of the Jockboot.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

No it isn't- it's not about other people being convinced or having an impact, it's about having a platform for expression, clearly. It certainly saves me from being even more of a boring old [under-30] fart who drones on about political minutiae at work and home.

It varies. If most posts were as I describe I wouldn't still be here. I'm talking about a fairly small minority of posters here.
  • Options
    edited March 2015

kle4 said:

No it isn't- it's not about other people being convinced or having an impact, it's about having a platform for expression, clearly. It certainly saves me from being even more of a boring old [under-30] fart who drones on about political minutiae at work and home.

It varies. If most posts were as I describe I wouldn't still be here. I'm talking about a fairly small minority of posters here.
    Ah yes, an inevitable side affect of providing a platform unfortunately.

antifrank said:

antifrank said:

antifrank said:

Er. No.

You suggested that the comments here opposing the demonstrators would motivate them. I suggested the comments on this site are not important enough to do so. I think my response is perfectly on point.
    You might be taking the point a tad too literally however. As I read it I thought the point was that people in general getting upset about such peoples' actions, would only please them, the thought of the 'right' people getting upset at them for it, is surely something they would be happy about.

So, anything on France's elections upcoming?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,339
    Flightpath Fascinating scenes from Leicester on C4 streets packed for Richard's Cortege as it makes its way to the cathedral led by 2 knights on horseback and all races and ages present too
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Surbiton The Tories + LDs + DUP could just scrape a majority without the SNP, which would ironically give the party of the most loyal part of the union, Ulster, the balance of power
  • Options
    Hengists_GiftHengists_Gift Posts: 628
    edited March 2015
    On topic:

there’s probably only one or two game changers left for the Tories, one of them is the debates,

But the coward is only appearing in one where he's likely to be the target. Thats hardly going to change the game the Tories way.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,326

MP_SE said:

MikeK said:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/ukip-leader-nigel-farage-says-5381350

News UK News Nigel Farage
    UKIP leader Nigel Farage says his children are 'missing' after family chased out of pub by protesters

Absolute scum. There is a time and a place for protesting and it is certainly not during a family meal.
    What pisses me off most is the organiser comes from the other end of the country and is doing it on the back of taxpayer. They should throw the parasite off his MSc!
    Charlie Gilmour was not punished by Cambridge at all for his criminal behaviour and now has a nice job as a journo.

Wonder if he had been exposed an EDL member and had gone round smashing stuff up what their opinion would have been?
    It's pretty difficult to get actually kicked out of Cambridge. Getting arrested, and getting a criminal record certainly won't do it.
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    Something for you HYUFD, Ted Cruz will announce tomorrow his presidential bid and Rand Paul calls for americans to boycott S.Arabia for it's segregation against women:

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/03/sen-ted-cruz-2016-presidential-bid-116285.html
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-politics/wp/2015/03/21/sen-rand-paul-calls-for-a-boycott-of-saudi-arabia/

I'm out.
  • Options

On topic:

there’s probably only one or two game changers left for the Tories, one of them is the debates,

But the coward is only appearing in one where he's likely to be the target. Thats hardly going to change the game the Tories way.

There are lots of potential game changers on all sides though it seems certain that the SNP will decimate labour in Scotland
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

Poor Ed trapped under the heel of the Jockboot.

Genuine LOL moment there - Classic!!
  • Options
    Mr. Northwales, ahem. If the SNP only decimate Scottish Labour then the nationalists will be severely disappointed.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    A Buddhist monk and a Muslim Imam in the congregation at Leicester Cathedral, along with the Duke of Gloucester to add to the surreal occasion. Ceremony conducted by the Bishop of Leicester alongside Cardinal Vincent Nichols to represent Richard's Catholic past
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    edited March 2015
    Farage attacked by protestors supporting gay rights, the right to public breastfeeding and a muslim call to prayer eh?

You could get away with that combo in a Kent pub, would like to see them try it in a mosque
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,088
    rcs1000 said:

MP_SE said:

MikeK said:

UKIP leader Nigel Farage says his children are 'missing' after family chased out of pub by protesters

Absolute scum. There is a time and a place for protesting and it is certainly not during a family meal.
    What pisses me off most is the organiser comes from the other end of the country and is doing it on the back of taxpayer. They should throw the parasite off his MSc!
    Charlie Gilmour was not punished by Cambridge at all for his criminal behaviour and now has a nice job as a journo.

Wonder if he had been exposed an EDL member and had gone round smashing stuff up what their opinion would have been?
    It's pretty difficult to get actually kicked out of Cambridge. Getting arrested, and getting a criminal record certainly won't do it.
    Surely Cambridge would realise that it needs to defend its talent the same way the BBC does with stars like Clarkson? Where would Cambridge be without the intellectual gravitas of Charlie Gilmour? I'd also wonder whether some of the dons might not be sympathetic to the misdeeds of some of their undergraduates. Maybe not so much as say the assistant professor for Hugo Chavez studies at generic metropolitan university former polytechnic.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    HYUFD said:

Surbiton The Tories + LDs + DUP could just scrape a majority without the SNP, which would ironically give the party of the most loyal part of the union, Ulster, the balance of power

A united Liberal Democrat Party ?
  • Options
    After peers from York and Lancaster lay a cloth over his coffin, a brownie doing her Richard III badge places a crown on the coffin
  • Options

Mr. Northwales, ahem. If the SNP only decimate Scottish Labour then the nationalists will be severely disappointed.

Why - are you suggesting labour will have less mps in Scotland than the scottish conservatives !!
  • Options
    Thanks Speedy, kudos to Rand Paul there, he has an excellent chance of winning Iowa in my view and will do well in NH too. Cruz could also take S Carolina, plenty for Jeb Bush or Christie to think about, whichever of them wins NH will then take on Paul and Cruz
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    edited March 2015
    isam said:

Farage attacked by protestors supporting gay rights, the right to public breastfeeding and a muslim call to prayer eh?

You could get away with that combo in a Kent pub, would like to see them try it in a mosque

These type of people have been around for years. If it was not UKIP they would find something else to protest about as they are desperate for finding a purpose to their sorry lives. They are literally the dregs of society.

The police used to take a very active interest in these types of groups as they considered them subversive.
  • Options
    Mr. NorthWales, decimating just means reducing by one tenth.

*cough* And it's fewer ;)

It's theoretically possible there could be more Conservative Scottish MPs than Labour ones, but I really don't think it'll happen.
  • Options

Mr. NorthWales, decimating just means reducing by one tenth.

*cough* And it's fewer ;)

It's theoretically possible there could be more Conservative Scottish MPs than Labour ones, but I really don't think it'll happen.

Point taken
  • Options
    Surbiton Given the DUP are basically UKIP with an Ulster accent probably not
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

A Buddhist monk and a Muslim Imam in the congregation at Leicester Cathedral, along with the Duke of Gloucester to add to the surreal occasion. Ceremony conducted by the Bishop of Leicester alongside Cardinal Vincent Nichols to represent Richard's Catholic past

It is surreal. The BBC say that the coffin was made from English Oak from the Duchy of Cornwall. Looks like flatpack from IKEA to me!
  • Options
    Fascinating polling out of Spain: Podemos, the PP and the Socialists have all lost a remarkable amount of support in the last six months - with all of them dropping votes to a (relative) newcomer the Citizen's Party (which has historically been Catalonia only).

Citizens has gone from about 3% in the polls a year ago, to 13-15% now. And it looks like Spain could have four parties all within a couple of percent of 20% shares. (The PP and Podemos just above, and the Socialists and the Citizen's Party just below.)

As Spain is a completely proportional system (with no first party boost), some kind of coalition is going to be needed post election - my guess would be PP + Citizens. It's hard to see who Podemos could go into coalition with, except possibly the Socialists - and I think the Socialists would rather be in opposition than be the junior coalition partner of Podemos.
  • Options
    Hengists_GiftHengists_Gift Posts: 628
    edited March 2015

On topic:

There are lots of potential game changers on all sides though it seems certain that the SNP will decimate labour in Scotland
    I disagree to the extent I think the chances of a positive game changer that allows the Tories to get a significant advantage over Labour or vice versa are minimal. I think the parlous state of the public sector finances and their own self inflicted ideological restrictions means they have very little room to move. Both parties have tied their hands behind their backs before the campaign has started so I doubt very much we will see any game changers from them. The only game changer for them is if someone or something screws up.

For the other parties there are game changers for sure but given none of them are likely to see 3 figure numbers of seats such game changers are relatively small in terms of the election as a whole and in reality the big game changer (the Scottish Independence referendum and the Scots response to that turning away from Labour and to the SNP) has already happened.
  • Options
    timmotimmo Posts: 1,469
    So Ed has been cribbing for awhile on the debates....and Dave has been carrying out the duties of a prime minister. Hmmmm..Just shows why Dave is right not to engage on the debates as the red team have spent the last few months trying to come up with elephant traps for them...
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,034

rcs1000 said:

MP_SE said:

MikeK said:

Surely Cambridge would realise that it needs to defend its talent the same way the BBC does with stars like Clarkson? Where would Cambridge be without the intellectual gravitas of Charlie Gilmour? I'd also wonder whether some of the dons might not be sympathetic to the misdeeds of some of their undergraduates. Maybe not so much as say the assistant professor for Hugo Chavez studies at generic metropolitan university former polytechnic.
    I have always wondered why universities are supposed to take an interest in the lives of its students. While what Mr Gilmour did was clearly wrong, I can't see that Cambridge University has any authority to expel him.

• Options
    GarethVale Indeed, in Herefordshire by Richard's direct descendant apparently
  • Options
    Mr. 1000, think that's in response to the way Syriza's going in Greece?

And what do you make of the view espoused here earlier in the day that Greece may 'accidentally' leave the single currency?
  • Options
    rcs1000 Indeed, Catalonia is also making its presence felt after the news from Scotland
  • Options
    timmo said:

So Ed has been cribbing for awhile on the debates....and Dave has been carrying out the duties of a prime minister. Hmmmm..Just shows why Dave is right not to engage on the debates as the red team have spent the last few months trying to come up with elephant traps for them...

So Cameron is not adept enough at debating to stand on his own record and is running scared of Labour 'elephant traps'. Yep thats a positive image for one of the leaders of the democratic world to give...
  • Options

On topic:

I disagree to the extent I think the chances of a positive game changer that allows the Tories to get a significant advantage over Labour or vice versa are minimal. I think the parlous state of the public sector finances and their own self inflicted ideological restrictions means they have very little room to move. Both parties have tied their hands behind their backs before the campaign has started so I doubt very much we will see any game changers from them. The only game changer for them is if someone or something screws up.

For the other parties there are game changers for sure but given none of them are likely to see 3 figure numbers of seats such game changers are relatively small in terms of the election as a whole and in reality the big game changer (the Scottish Independence referendum and the Scots response to that turning away from Labour and to the SNP) has already happened.
    The game changers are still in play and notwithstanding your analysis of the parties the voters are not engaged yet (other than in Scotland). There is plenty to play for even without something dramatic like a terrorist attack
  • Options
    roserees64roserees64 Posts: 251
    Brilliant analysis in today's Observer where William Keegan looks at the budget. He criticised Osborne's jokes which he sees as demeaning one of the great offices of state. Osborne is compared to a spiv who uses a variety of dodgy devices to prove things that are untrue.Keegan quotes the IFS 'there is no real increase in incomes in the data we have seen so far.' Osborne persisted with the lie by including university income etc.in his calculation.He is a national disgrace.
  • Options

Brilliant analysis in today's Observer where William Keegan looks at the budget. He criticised Osborne's jokes which he sees as demeaning one of the great offices of state. Osborne is compared to a spiv who uses a variety of dodgy devices to prove things that are untrue.Keegan quotes the IFS 'there is no real increase in incomes in the data we have seen so far.' Osborne persisted with the lie by including university income etc.in his calculation.He is a national disgrace.

Most popular politician in the UK at present outside of Scotland
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,417
    edited March 2015

rcs1000 said:

MP_SE said:

MikeK said:

I have always wondered why universities are supposed to take an interest in the lives of its students. While what Mr Gilmour did was clearly wrong, I can't see that Cambridge University has any authority to expel him.

Lets just remember Gilmour didn't just "get arrested". He was given a 16 months custodial sentence. His swinging from the flags on Cenotaph was a minor part of what he was up to.

Cambridge absolutely does have the right and authority to have "sent him down" i.e expel him. Gilmour could under the terms of being a member of the university have been at the worse end rusticated for a year or sent down, or at the lower end had his privileges removed, made to do community service and very least a formal apologies for his behaviour.

None of the above was handed out.

I am not saying they should have kicked him out, I am just saying he received zero punishment from his college / university.

FYI, Jon Snow, was rusticated.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,088
    SeanT said:

This anti-UKIP stuff is bullshit now. You can just about defend egging a politician at hustings, or even harrassing a pol trying to make a Glasgow speech or open a party office in Rotherham.

Impossible to justify invading his private life, scaring his kids, pushing him out of a pub, jumping up and down on his car, etc.

The police have to arrest these people before they get Farage elected as prime minister.

Even I find some of these people annoying. Here in Cardiff we had enough of it with the Nato summit. Whilst a lot of people were understandably frustrated about town being shut down and the endless security rigmarole, the band of protesters beomaning the evil rulers of the world and their nefarious plans to enslave the world's poor was tiresome in the extreme.

• Options
    MP_SE said:

isam said:

These type of people have been around for years. If it was not UKIP they would find something else to protest about as they are desperate for finding a purpose to their sorry lives. They are literally the dregs of society.

The police used to take a very active interest in these types of groups as they considered them subversive.
    I responded but its been deleted..
  • Options

On topic:

The game changers are still in play and notwithstanding your analysis of the parties the voters are not engaged yet (other than in Scotland). There is plenty to play for even without something dramatic like a terrorist attack
    You talk about these game changers but what are they?

The news has been saturated with Cameron and Miliband and their parties for three months now notwithstanding almost 5 years of their tedious bickering. For them because they have restricted themselves already all that is left is to keep plugging away. They have nothing of real resonance to catch the voters imagination with so neither is going to make big gains or losses in vote share. Its going to be attritional and as such that many voters have not switched on yet is probably a good thing because many of them will probably switch off just as quickly when they realise there is not a lot on offer.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Fascinating polling out of Spain: Podemos, the PP and the Socialists have all lost a remarkable amount of support in the last six months - with all of them dropping votes to a (relative) newcomer the Citizen's Party (which has historically been Catalonia only).

Citizens has gone from about 3% in the polls a year ago, to 13-15% now. And it looks like Spain could have four parties all within a couple of percent of 20% shares. (The PP and Podemos just above, and the Socialists and the Citizen's Party just below.)

As Spain is a completely proportional system (with no first party boost), some kind of coalition is going to be needed post election - my guess would be PP + Citizens. It's hard to see who Podemos could go into coalition with, except possibly the Socialists - and I think the Socialists would rather be in opposition than be the junior coalition partner of Podemos.

I read an article the other day where Podemos were talking down their chances in Catalonia as it is slightly different to the rest of Spain.
  • Options

timmo said:

So Cameron is not adept enough at debating to stand on his own record and is running scared of Labour 'elephant traps'. Yep thats a positive image for one of the leaders of the democratic world to give...
    Yep...
  • Options
    Cardinal Nichols 'In his day political power was settled on the battlefield in often bloody battle, we may be thankful political power is now achieved in a rather different manner'

A pity, a battle between Ed and Dave's armies would be rather amusing, with Clegg at the side seeing which way the wind blows, Salmond and Farage's hordes attacking from the rear and Natalie Bennett knitting a CND scarf in the background!
  • Options
    Brett Rickles (@Brett_Rickles)
    22/03/2015 17:58
    Was it something I said? @thetwerkinggirl pic.twitter.com/KRX76axr8o
  • Options
    edited March 2015

Will there any corrections be forthcoming from yesterdays factually incorrect trollings?
  • Options
    Lee Jasper (@LeeJasper)
    22/03/2015 07:11
    Trevor Phillips @MaajidNawaz two men who put profit before principle I'd debate both anytime on their abysmal record pic.twitter.com/rKf5oW2aZz

Adil Ray (@adilray)
    22/03/2015 12:34
    . @LeeJasper @MaajidNawaz Maajid. As a Muslim could you please avoid having an opinion your own faith and the issues that surround it. Thx

Maajid Nawaz (@MaajidNawaz)
    22/03/2015 18:03
    .@adilray yes, sir. I promise to only think "brown thoughts" : )
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095

What degree did you get from Troll University?
  • Options

On topic:

You talk about these game changers but what are they?

The news has been saturated with Cameron and Miliband and their parties for three months now notwithstanding almost 5 years of their tedious bickering. For them because they have restricted themselves already all that is left is to keep plugging away. They have nothing of real resonance to catch the voters imagination with so neither is going to make big gains or losses in vote share. Its going to be attritional and as such that many voters have not switched on yet is probably a good thing because many of them will probably switch off just as quickly when they realise there is not a lot on offer.
    It will be interesting to see how RUK reacts to Alex Salmond's red lines with labour with the cancellation of Trident and an end of austerity. Quite a quick response from the conservatives with a catchy parody of Salmond and Miliband being shown now on Sky News. All elections are influenced by 'events'
  • Options
    nigel4englandnigel4england Posts: 4,800

History may well prove him to be the best Chancellor ever.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,204

rcs1000 said:

MP_SE said:

MikeK said:

Lets just remember Gilmour didn't just "get arrested". He was given a 16 months custodial sentence. His swinging from the flags on Cenotaph was a minor part of what he was up to.

Cambridge absolutely does have the right and authority to have "sent him down" i.e expel him. Gilmour could under the terms of being a member of the university have been at the worse end rusticated for a year or sent down, or at the lower end had his privileges removed, made to do community service and very least a formal apologies for his behaviour.

I am not saying they should have kicked him out, I am just saying he received zero punishment from his college / university.

How do you know he was not punished?
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,655
    So was there a Sun on Sunday poll or not?
  • Options
    @ftbrussels: Brexit could cost £56bn a year, report says http://t.co/vJnU7f1WSS
  • Options
    isam said:

Lee Jasper (@LeeJasper)
    22/03/2015 07:11
    Trevor Phillips @MaajidNawaz two men who put profit before principle I'd debate both anytime on their abysmal record pic.twitter.com/rKf5oW2aZz

Adil Ray (@adilray)
    22/03/2015 12:34
    . @LeeJasper @MaajidNawaz Maajid. As a Muslim could you please avoid having an opinion your own faith and the issues that surround it. Thx

Maajid Nawaz (@MaajidNawaz)
    22/03/2015 18:03
    .@adilray yes, sir. I promise to only think "brown thoughts" : )

What the bloody hell is this all about?
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

antifrank said:

antifrank said:

Burn The Heretic.

• Options
    HYUFD said:

Cardinal Nichols 'In his day political power was settled on the battlefield in often bloody battle, we may be thankful political power is now achieved in a rather different manner'

A pity, a battle between Ed and Dave's armies would be rather amusing, with Clegg at the side seeing which way the wind blows, Salmond and Farage's hordes attacking from the rear and Natalie Bennett knitting a CND scarf in the background!

Dave's Armies? Would that be the Eton Trifles?

• Options
    Carnyx said:

rcs1000 said:

MP_SE said:

MikeK said:

How do you know he was not punished?
    His college said so.
  • Options

History may well prove him to be the best Chancellor ever.
    Better than Pitt?
  • Options
    antifrank said:

trip trap trip trap
  • Options
    Amazing scenes in Leicester as hordes of Jacobites line the streets to honour the White Rose of York.
  • Options
    Mr. Antifrank, and people said not joining the eurozone would be awful too.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,061

Shame he wasn't defenestrated.
  • Options
    Hengists Gift Well Wellington said Waterloo was won on the playing fields of Eton, perhaps Cameron could win on its dining halls, especially as he is fond of his puddings
  • Options

Mr. Antifrank, and people said not joining the eurozone would be awful too.

I didn't write the report.

It does also posit a positive outcome from leaving the EU. That would, it says, require open borders.
  • Options
    JackW Wouldn't the Jacobites have been neutral on the wars as it was several centuries before both the Stuarts and Hanoverians took the throne?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

JackW Wouldn't the Jacobites have been neutral on the wars as it was several centuries before both the Stuarts and Hanoverians took the throne?

I expect that Richard III would have been unhappy to be reburied in a heretics' place of worship.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    antifrank said:

The link to the article on the FT is not working for me but Open Europe have already been discredited as a think tank who peddle half truths and falsities.

http://www.eureferendum.com/blogview.aspx?blogno=85484
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    C4 now interviewing some Brazilians and Germans who have come to Leicester today for the procession
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    Given that the list of people rusticated from Oxbridge includes Milton, Dryden, Shelley, Landor Swinburne, Oscar Wilde, Marc Boxer as well as Jon Snow, then I'd have thought Gilmour would have been absolutely delighted if his college had rusticated him.

I can't think of anything that would have got his journalism career off to a better start.
  • Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    Has anyone analysed what effect a DUP/UUP pact will have on the 4 seats they intend to jointly fight in NI?
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    french municipals exit polls

ump 29%
    fn 26%
    ps 21%
  • Options
    state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,436
    a hearse a hearse a kingdom for a hearse
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,170
    edited March 2015
    JackW said:

Amazing scenes in Leicester as hordes of Jacobites line the streets to honour the White Rose of York.

Is that the White Cockade lining up with the White Rose?

Personally I'm all for Henry Tewdur, although his treatment of the "undeserving poor' was far worse than IDS'.
    The Jacobites after all wanted to bring back Popery!
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @TimGatt: Sing-a-long with Salmond: what tunes could Alex get Ed to dance to? http://t.co/ZVHRhLgOaF #SunNation http://t.co/5wbIcwHKs6
  • Options
    Well done TSE ..... a blue bar chart on PB.com at last, if ever I saw one.

For those with access to Matthew Parris' weekly articles in The Times, yesterday's piece headed "The Tories are going to win – and win well" was particularly interesting.
  • Options

ump 29%
    fn 26%
    ps 21%

Is that good or bad for the FN?
  • Options

JackW said:

Is that the White Cockade lining up with the White Rose?

Personally I'm all for Henry Tewdur, although his treatment of the "undeserving poor' was far worse than IDS'.
    The Jacobites after all wanted to bring back Popery!
    I'm all for Ten Pole Tudor
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Certainly not.

The Stuart line is traced through to Elizabeth of York (Queen Consort of Henry Tudor) - daughter of Edward IV and niece of Richard III.

She was the grandmother of James V of Scotland and through his daughter Mary Queen of Scots and her son James VI & I the Stuart line descends. The Jacobite symbol of the white cockade is from the white rose of York.

• Options

too late! :-)
  • Options

Given that the list of people rusticated from Oxbridge includes Milton, Dryden, Shelley, Landor Swinburne, Oscar Wilde, Marc Boxer as well as Jon Snow, then I'd have thought Gilmour would have been absolutely delighted if his college had rusticated him.

I can't think of anything that would have got his journalism career off to a better start.

Jon Snow wasn't rusticated from Oxbridge, it was from University of Liverpool.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    timmo said:

ump 29%
    fn 26%
    ps 21%

I think they were hoping on a good night they would top the poll, Second exit poll has UMP 31% and FN 25%
  • Options
    state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,436
    edited March 2015

too late! :-)
    bugger and its' my kingdom' anyway

I hope Richard is saying 'Look at this Tudor!! ' 'How many people saw you funeral then 100? mine ?- millions mate!

• Options
    timmo said:

ump 29%
    fn 26%
    ps 21%

Very bad, they were as high as 37-38% in some polling
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

antifrank said:

The link to the article on the FT is not working for me but Open Europe have already been discredited as a think tank who peddle half truths and falsities.

http://www.eureferendum.com/blogview.aspx?blogno=85484
    They also regularly contradict themselves. This from their Research Director.

We can survive a Brexit, but banks would take a hit

The economic risks of a leaving the EU are both slighter and more nuanced than Gordon Brown with his 'North Korea' claims will admit

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/eureferendum/11462085/We-can-survive-a-Brexit-but-banks-would-take-a-hit.html

• Options
    SeanT said:

Apparently, the guy who frightened Nigel Farage's kids today once "superglued himself to Gordon Brown".

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2008/jul/25/gordonbrown.activists

You have to admit this displays a very strange mindset. Kate Winslet I could understand.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Apparently, the guy who frightened Nigel Farage's kids today once "superglued himself to Gordon Brown".

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2008/jul/25/gordonbrown.activists

So, one good thing, one bad...
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053

Well done TSE ..... a blue bar chart on PB.com at last, if ever I saw one.

For those with access to Matthew Parris' weekly articles in The Times, yesterday's piece headed "The Tories are going to win – and win well" was particularly interesting.

Parris seems to be getting ever more deeper into never-never land; I bet he plays with Tinker-Bell every night. ;)
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    antifrank said:

"The report sets out four scenarios in the event of so-called Brexit, ranging from a worst-case situation — the loss of 2.2 per cent of national GDP (or £56bn) by 2030 — to one where GDP rises by 1.6 per cent."

Or in other words "Brexit could scoop UK £41bn a year, report says".

Thanks for retweeting!
  • Options
    Antifrank He would have preferred to be buried in York Minster at least, but considering he may well have been a serial killer, as David Starkey is now saying 99% certain he murdered his nephews, I don't think he can have too many complaints about his solemn burial in Leicester Cathedral today. (Personally as someone who also has had scoliosis, and had an operation for it 10 years ago, I have some sympathy for Richard, and he did introduce some key reforms, but he was no Saint)
This discussion has been closed.