Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The voters’ verdict on the impact of the budget

SystemSystem Posts: 11,692
edited March 2015 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The voters’ verdict on the impact of the budget

Given the polling before the budget, the Tories might feel disappointed that the budget didn’t get more of a thumbs up from the electorate, there’s probably only one or two game changers left for the Tories, one of them is the debates, but according to reports, Ed has been preparing for a while, Dave has not.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Looks like a big fat meh to me.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,289
    In today's YouGov poll:

Con get 73% of Con 2010 + 5% Lab 2010 + 20% LD 2010

Con = (.73*37) + (.05*30) + (.20*24) = 27.01 + 1.5 + 4.8 = 33.31

Lab get 6% of Con 2010 + 78% Lab 2010 + 25% LD 2010

Lab = (.06*37) + (.78*30) + (.25*24) = 2.22 + 23.4 + 6 = 31.62

So just looking at people who voted Con/Lab/LD in 2010 it's Con 33.31, Lab 31.62.

Yet the overall poll result is Con 33, Lab 35.

This implies that Lab is getting a net boost of between 3 and 4 points entirely due to people who didn't vote in 2010.

OK, I guess it could in theory get switchers from minor parties but surely almost nobody is switching from SNP to Lab or UKIP to Lab so the overall magnitude here would be absolutely miniscule.

Any thoughts on this?
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    22 March 2010

Opinium: Con 37 Lab 30 LD 15
    Ipsos: Con 35 Lab 30 LD 21
    YG: Con 36 Lab 32 LD 20
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,129
    edited March 2015
    antifrank said:

Looks like a big fat meh to me.

Which was my reaction on here as the Chancellor sat down.

That said, Labour has not been able to make any capital out of it. Especially when Balls says he won't overturn any of it.

It's not a May election, so much as a "meh" election.....
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    The Budget made no difference to me with my UK taxpayer hat on - and possibly made me very slightly worse off. However I do like and support it as a sensible stable and responsible Budget. That goes strongly into the mix for my vote.

Therefore I would have voted tactically in this poll, not accurately, to get my view across.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    MikeL said:

In today's YouGov poll:

So just looking at people who voted Con/Lab/LD in 2010 it's Con 33.31, Lab 31.62.

This implies that Lab is getting a net boost of between 3 and 4 points entirely due to people who didn't vote in 2010.

OK, I guess it could in theory get switchers from minor parties but surely almost nobody is switching from SNP to Lab or UKIP to Lab so the overall magnitude here would be absolutely miniscule.

Any thoughts on this?

Posted this response on the previous thread:

No deep thoughts. But the majority of new voters in each election presumably come from the kids who have come of age since the last election, i.e. 18-23 year olds. Is it surprising that this group would skew Labour?
  • Options
    Hengists_GiftHengists_Gift Posts: 628
    edited March 2015
    From a personal perspective I view it as a fake budget simply because I do not believe for one minute that that budget will last more than a few weeks after the election. It was clearly designed to shoot Labour election foxes but clearly would make one almighty mess of the financial planning for the public sector with its heavy cuts in year one and two and the largest increase in ten years in public sending in year five.

At its core to me its a fake budget which begs the question what exactly are the Tories spending proposals and how badly will they cut non protected areas like defence and criminal justice. That about the only area you can be absolutely certain on is International Aid just adds insult to injury.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    MTimT said:

MikeL said:

In today's YouGov poll:

Any thoughts on this?

Posted this response on the previous thread:

No deep thoughts. But the majority of new voters in each election presumably come from the kids who have come of age since the last election, i.e. 18-23 year olds. Is it surprising that this group would skew Labour?
    Thanks - yes, fair point - but look at the numbers.

18 to 24s (7 year segment) comprise 11.9% of total weighted sample - first time voters (5 year segment) thus comprise (5/7) * 11.9 = 8.5%.

Lab lead by 10 points in that segment which would thus account for 0.85% of overall Lab lead.

So a significant component, but only approx 25% of what we are looking for.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,854
    MikeL said:

In today's YouGov poll:

Any thoughts on this?

I agree those internal numbers don't make sense. Even if Labour did get a boost from new voters, there'd still be Labour voters from 2010 who've died/won't vote/gone abroad. Yougov's retention figures only record switching between parties.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited March 2015

From a personal erspective I view it as a fake budget simply because I do not believe for one minute that that budget will last more than a few weeks after the election. It was clearly designed to shoot Labour election foxes but clearly would make one almighty mess of the financial planning for the public sector with its heavy cuts in year one and two and the largest increase in public sending in year five.

At its core to me its a fake budget which begs the question what exactly are the Tories spending proposals and how badly will they cut non protected areas like defence and criminal justice. That about the only area you can be absolutely certain on is International Aid just adds insult to injury.

I remember they had an IFS guy on several months ago, and asked him about what he predicted post GE. He basically said the first budget after every election normally includes tax rises, as that is the best time to get them through.

I think if the Tories win, the cuts wont be as deep as planned (they weren't this time either) and if Labour win there will be cuts, despite what their plans say. Both will raise taxes.

You are right about the fake budget though, no concrete details of how any cuts would be implemented, just like 2010 Darling's plan (that commentators still hark back to as something solid) was exactly the same. Some headline big picture figures with no detailed plans of how to achieve them.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,758
  • Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293
    can we please have more 'meh' budgets, and more 'meh' parliaments?
  • Options
    A net 5% think they will be better off. In a very tight election, might that be enough?

• Options
    Sean_F said:

MikeL said:

In today's YouGov poll:

Any thoughts on this?

I agree those internal numbers don't make sense. Even if Labour did get a boost from new voters, there'd still be Labour voters from 2010 who've died/won't vote/gone abroad. Yougov's retention figures only record switching between parties.
    As posted below, I think SOME boost from new voters makes sense - as Con will have more voters who have died off than Lab.

But new voters only account for approx 25% of what we are looking for - ie in numbers below 0.85 points out of a total of 3 to 4 points.

I think the key question is actually as follows:

This is only one poll but is Lab getting a similar boost from 2010 non-voters in all polls? If so, will these people vote?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,018
    edited March 2015
    Well, it surely goes without saying that any Chancellor, except in obviously extremely hard times, is going to go into an election with a broadly uncontroversial budget. A "give-away" budget would result in a howl from the Opposition and much of the Press, even the supportive Press, of "what's being hidden?" A increase in taxes across the board would be politically suicidal.

I found the budget full of items, apart from 1p off a pint, which looked like jam for tomorrow but on reflection would need a lot of thinking about. I still wonder HOW my teacher grandchildren are going to be able to save for a house, given the narrow margin between cost of living and income, especially as, although their salaries will rise with experience, the graduate tax will start to kick in.
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,014

Well, it surely goes without saying that any Chancellor, except in obviously extremely hard times, is going to go into an election with a broadly uncontroversial budget. A "give-away" budget would result in a howl from the Opposition and much of the Press, even the supportive Press, of "what's being hidden?" A increase in taxes across the board would be politically suicidal.

I found the budget full of items, apart from 1p off a pint, which looked like jam for tomorrow but on reflection would need a lot of thinking about. I still wonder HOW my teacher grandchildren are going to be able to save for a house, given the narrow margin between cost of living and income, especially as, although their salaries will rise with experience, the graduate tax will start to kick in.

We need to do something on the supply side for housing, no politicians seem to have any good ideas. Personally I think something radical is needed, like selecting areas of cities where planning controls can be removed. Let the market do the rest.

• Options

A net 5% think they will be better off. In a very tight election, might that be enough?

This assumes that just because they think the budget makes them better off they are going to vote Conservative.
  • Options
    edited March 2015

We need to do something on the supply side for housing, no politicians seem to have any good ideas. Personally I think something radical is needed, like selecting areas of cities where planning controls can be removed. Let the market do the rest.

My radical solution would be to build homes for economical rent ....... Council houses ...... again.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    edited March 2015
    chestnut said:

22 March 2010

The governing party actually fell back from these numbers by polling day #swingback
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    MikeL said:

In today's YouGov poll:

Any thoughts on this?

Yes. The polls are up the creek without a paddle. Doesn't look good for them after the election.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    MikeL said:

In today's YouGov poll:

Any thoughts on this?

Over analysis of sub samples !!
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/ukip-leader-nigel-farage-says-5381350

News UK News Nigel Farage
    UKIP leader Nigel Farage says his children are 'missing' after family chased out of pub by protesters
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610
    MikeK said:

UKIP leader Nigel Farage says his children are 'missing' after family chased out of pub by protesters

Scumbag lefties. What's new?
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,207
    MikeK said:

If only Cameron had thought of that excuse.
  • Options

MikeK said:

I don't see how the situation is remotely amusing.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    There was an interesting programme about house prices on R5L today. Plenty of cheap houses but always in areas without jobs or with anti-social behaviour. The latter seems to be a big factor but tends to be ignored. Drugs, alcohol, lots of young men and what is known as deprivation.

OKC, some council estates always had the latter problem and what would be the modern day remedy? I grew up in one in the 50s and 60s where they put all the bad eggs together. I was fifteen before I realised ours was one of them. But jobs were easier to get and drugs were almost unknown.
  • Options

This assumes that just because they think the budget makes them better off they are going to vote Conservative.
    Well, I'm not thinking they will all change their vote! That could give a ten point change if they shifted from Labour to Tories - could give Tories on 40%, Labour on 28%.....!!.

But maybe a three or four point change isn't impossible....A couple of points off Labour and onto the Tories. Tories say 37%, Labour 31%. And if the polling is anything like right, on such margins will this election be won and lost.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    chestnut said:

22 March 2010

Cleggasm did happen after all ! However, if you just take Opinium, then Labour lost 1 point, LD gained 9 points. Where did the 8 points come from ?
  • Options
    Wee, sleekit, cow'rin, tim'rous Wesminsterie,
    O, what a panic's in thy breastie!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JeYlBRvUeE
  • Options
    CD13 said:

There was an interesting programme about house prices on R5L today. Plenty of cheap houses but always in areas without jobs or with anti-social behaviour. The latter seems to be a big factor but tends to be ignored. Drugs, alcohol, lots of young men and what is known as deprivation.

OKC, some council estates always had the latter problem and what would be the modern day remedy? I grew up in one in the 50s and 60s where they put all the bad eggs together. I was fifteen before I realised ours was one of them. But jobs were easier to get and drugs were almost unknown.

Fair point Mr 13; I think one of the strengths of at least some of the "old" Council estates was that they had a mix of social classes.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

MikeL said:

In today's YouGov poll:

Any thoughts on this?

FWIW , Yougov figures also have % of Con and Lab voters who now say Wont Vote or DK , for Conservatives that is 11% of 37% and Labour 6% of 30% a substantial part of the " missing Labour lead " .
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100

www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JeYlBRvUeE

Labour should stop any pandering of the SNP and tell people what the SNP really is:
    A scottish version of the BNP.
  • Options

Do every one who is well off after a budget vote for the governing party ? At my income and assets level, Tories are always good for me. Do I vote for the b*****ds ? No , I don't.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

chestnut said:

22 March 2010

Cleggasm did happen after all ! However, if you just take Opinium, then Labour lost 1 point, LD gained 9 points. Where did the 8 points come from ?
    Why take Opinium figures seriously anyway , they were clearly way out of line at that stage in 2010
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Labour should stop any pandering of the SNP and tell people what the SNP really is:
    Ah, you're the person who thought James Kelly MSP would make a good leader of SLab.

Figures.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @paulhutcheon: Alex Salmond says @thesnp won't support @uklabour plan to restore 50p tax rate http://t.co/w3eBxoLqmb
  • Options
    surbiton said:

chestnut said:

22 March 2010

They had Others on 18%.
  • Options

Speedy said:

Ah, you're the person who thought James Kelly MSP would make a good leader of SLab.

Figures.
    Well he's better than Jim Murphy whom the SNP loves so much.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,833
    Looks very much like the Tories are finished to me.

Think we'd better start preparing for Ed... Might be an idea to cash in your savings and hide them under your mattress?

Oh and stockpiling candles might not be a bad idea either...
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,834
    Speedy said:

Oh really? Then why are so many SNP members English incomers?

• Options
    Speedy said:

Speedy said:

Figures.
    Well he's better than Jim Murphy whom the SNP loves so much.
    No, he's worse.

That bad.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,049
    surbiton said:

Do every one who is well off after a budget vote for the governing party ? At my income and assets level, Tories are always good for me. Do I vote for the b*****ds ? No , I don't.
    Glad to hear it. I think it's outrageous when well off people are scorned for not being Tories, for having the temerity to vote against their own economic interests. There's hope for this country yet.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,984
    Scott_P said:

@paulhutcheon: Alex Salmond says @thesnp won't support @uklabour plan to restore 50p tax rate http://t.co/w3eBxoLqmb

Wish they;d get on with HS2. Starting at both ends seems sensible, if expensive.
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    Turned on my TV this morning to a message from my Satellite provider (DirecTV) that I can now watch BBC World News, and it's in HD.

The first program I saw had a segment that featured a professor from - where else - California who claims to show evidence that money makes you mean, and The Rich give less to charity etc.

After about 80% of the segment was about this, then the comment was made that nobody else has been able to replicate his findings, and then listed about a half-dozen studies showing the exact opposite to the California study.

Good old Auntie..
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    MaxPB said:

MikeK said:

Scumbag lefties. What's new?
    It seems to have been organised by this professional moron:

Campaigner 'glues himself to PM'

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7520401.stm

Guardian profile:

http://www.theguardian.com/profile/danglass

Hopefully the police can find something to lock the attention seeking idiot up (behaviour likely to cause a breach of the peace?)!

I suppose its what you get when you give people free University education.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    MikeK said:

Absolute scum. There is a time and a place for protesting and it is certainly not during a family meal.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

Turned on my TV this morning to a message from my Satellite provider (DirecTV) that I can now watch BBC World News, and it's in HD.

The first program I saw had a segment that featured a professor from - where else - California who claims to show evidence that money makes you mean, and The Rich give less to charity etc.

After about 80% of the segment was about this, then the comment was made that nobody else has been able to replicate his findings, and then listed about a half-dozen studies showing the exact opposite to the California study.

Good old Auntie..

http://www.businesszone.co.uk/blogs/chrisgoodfellow/deputy/take-bbc-kids-quiz-suggests-entrepreneurs-are-dishonest
  • Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012
    surbiton said:

You are clearly richer than me - I vote tory. All you point out really is that a poll on do you feel better or worse off after the budget is pretty pointless. There is inevitably quite a good school of thought which will consider whether it was the best budget available and/or good for the wider country.

All the political barstewards of late have all come from the Labour Party. The greatest being Brown for what he did to the economy in the cause of furthering his own political ambitions.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Have a look at the comment below the line which seriously questions that that was actually said. And Mr Salmond is not the same thing as the SNP anyway.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Scott_P said:

Have a look at the comment below the line which seriously questions that that was actually said. And Mr Salmond is not the same thing as the SNP anyway.
    If, as some contest, SNP = Scotland, then I think it's fair to say Alex Salmond = SNP.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,758
    Carnyx said:

Scott_P said:

LOL, I think you'll find Salmond is the SNP
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    GIN1138 said:

Looks very much like the Tories are finished to me.

Think we'd better start preparing for Ed... Might be an idea to cash in your savings and hide them under your mattress?

Oh and stockpiling candles might not be a bad idea either...

I have a better plan than candles.

I plan to sell my pounds for foreign currency way before the election, as the uncertainty about the result will hit the pound, and then buy pounds depending on the result that becomes clear on the last few days before the election.
    Essentially what I did with the scottish referendum with 8% gains so far in the 6 months after.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Scott_P said:

There's an assumption there that Mr Salmond will be the SNP leader in the Commons. Not sure that that's a given on two counts, the first being that he's got to be elected first.
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

MikeK said:

Absolute scum. There is a time and a place for protesting and it is certainly not during a family meal.
    What pisses me off most is the organiser comes from the other end of the country and is doing it on the back of taxpayer. They should throw the parasite off his MSc!
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Scott_P said:

There's an assumption there that Mr Salmond will be the SNP leader in the Commons. Not sure that that's a given on two counts, the first being that he's got to be elected first.
    Exactly so. And rather more perspicacious than many a newspaper and politician, not to mention one or two PBers who ought to know.

• Options

CD13 said:

Fair point Mr 13; I think one of the strengths of at least some of the "old" Council estates was that they had a mix of social classes.
    Rising prosperity has meant those with ambition have long left them. You have the public sector well off, who wouldnt be seen dead living in a council estate. Teachers, police officers and nurses would have once been the profession of choice for the bright lower working class, and who would have had at one point lived in the areas they taught, walked and provided care to.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    MP_SE said:

MikeK said:

The protesters actually trashed the place.
    Ewa Jasiewicz @ewajasiewicz · 1h 1 hour ago
    Farage's local pub occupied by migrants, breastfeeding mum's, HIV queens, all smashing the piniata of bigotry. #UKIP

https://twitter.com/ewajasiewicz/status/579669055482818560

Ewa Jasiewicz @ewajasiewicz · 17m 17 minutes ago
    This was an amazing moment. The Muslim call to prayer *inside Nigel Farage's local pub*. For tolerance. No #ukipcon

https://twitter.com/ewajasiewicz/status/579680216915812352
  • Options

Sean_F said:

MikeL said:

In today's YouGov poll:

Any thoughts on this?

FWIW , Yougov figures also have % of Con and Lab voters who now say Wont Vote or DK , for Conservatives that is 11% of 37% and Labour 6% of 30% a substantial part of the " missing Labour lead " .
    Thanks Mark.

That's interesting - I had never realised before but the Con and Lab retention rates are not the 73% and 78% as per YouGov table and my post - because each 2010 Vote column adds to 100 just with people declaring a voting intention - ie excluding WNV/DK.

Thus the Con retention rate is really 73/(100 + 11) = 66% - a very different number indeed!!!

Of course I guess there's then the question of whether the DKs later return home but that's another matter.
  • Options
    edited March 2015

MP_SE said:

MikeK said:

What pisses me off most is the organiser comes from the other end of the country and is doing it on the back of taxpayer. They should throw the parasite off his MSc!
    Charlie Gilmour was not punished by Cambridge at all for his criminal behaviour and now has a nice job as a journo.

Wonder if he had been exposed an EDL member and had gone round smashing stuff up what their opinion would have been?
  • Options

MP_SE said:

MikeK said:

Reverse the situation and imagine how a university student taking part in one of those Britain First mosque invasion protests would be treated.

• Options
    Speedy said:

That would be disastrous because it isnt true. Negative campaigns have to have a ring of truth. Is Salmond always very pleased with himself? Yes. Is he a race hating weird racist like Griffin? Of course not. The SNP have been in power in the scottish parliament for four years. We've witnessed no enabling acts, Holyrood been razed to the ground? Are groups of people regularly being rounded up? Of course not.

There was intimidation and implied threats of retribution during the very heated referendum, but that has come to nothing.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    notme said:

Speedy said:

That would be disastrous because it isnt true. Negative campaigns have to have a ring of truth. Is Salmond always very pleased with himself? Yes. Is he a race hating weird racist like Griffin? Of course not. The SNP have been in power in the scottish parliament for four years. We've witnessed no enabling acts, Holyrood been razed to the ground? Are groups of people regularly being rounded up? Of course not.

There was intimidation and implied threats of retribution during the very heated referendum, but that has come to nothing.
    They are not nazis, just fascists.
    And even if they wanted to raze democracy to the ground they can't because they don't have total power over scotland as long as it is part of Britain.

Just like some other instances in federations or unions there are vile extremist parties that govern parts of a federation but can't exercise total control.
    Some parts of the USA during the 19&20th centuries are a good example.
  • Options

MikeK said:

The quote:

"Dan Glass said the group was in fancy dress and included migrants, HIV activists, gay people, disabled people and breastfeeding mums."

• Options
    I'd really hate to have my Sunday lunch down the boozer interrupted by a bunch of bastards. I wonder why the landlord didn't do anything about it, there isn't any right to protest on private property.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

MP_SE said:

MikeK said:

Farage's local pub occupied by migrants, breastfeeding mum's, HIV queens, all smashing the piniata of bigotry. #UKIP

This was an amazing moment. The Muslim call to prayer *inside Nigel Farage's local pub*. For tolerance. No #ukipcon

From what I can gather this was the plan all along. They were going to turn up at his regular pub and stage a protest. It just so happened that he was lunching at a pub across the road so they decided to protest there.

If he wasn't there they would have staged a protest in his regular pub and presumably caused damage through putting up "decorations" and intimidating customers which would have lost business.

These people are vermin. They set out to harm a local business and bumping into Nigel Farage whose car they attacked was a bonus.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_P said:

If, as some contest, SNP = Scotland, then I think it's fair to say Alex Salmond = SNP.
    Demanding everything puts Scotland first is not a recipe for coalition. Its one thing to represent a wider countrywide political viewpoint, but to press for a narrow regional (and politically narrow as well) hegemony can only alienate voters in England. Since the SNP plan only works with Labour the largest party then everything the SNP have said makes it ever more mad for anyone in the North of England to vote Labour.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

notme said:

Speedy said:

And even if they wanted to raze democracy to the ground they can't because they don't have total power over scotland as long as it is part of Britain.
    The word fascist had connotations for outside its literal meaning, but then i dont think it can be applied in either common usage or its literal term.

It really isnt a pleasant form of political discourse.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    notme said:

MikeK said:

The quote:

"Dan Glass said the group was in fancy dress and included migrants, HIV activists, gay people, disabled people and breastfeeding mums."

I presume as a "right on" sort he is very much about being PC, except he can't even get the PC terms correct. It isn't really PC to just label those with a disability as "disabled people"...just saying like.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    notme said:

MikeK said:

The quote:

Are they barred?
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,994
    Those 'protesters' sound like utter cretins.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    notme said:

MikeK said:

The quote:

Its all very crass and presumably illegal. If Reggie Perrin was still around he would be pointing out to Jimmy the sorts of opponents this sort of not so secret army would attract.
    Its a taster for what Farage will attract in the election. It might well garner some sympathy but the left wing are likely to vote tactically for all that if this is anything to go by.
  • Options
    So anti-UKIP protestors have failed to win over UKIP supporters on pb. I am not sure that they'll write the protest off as a failure solely on that account.
  • Options

MP_SE said:

MikeK said:

Now now... a MSc student is not a parasite - be pays £9000 for the privilege... unless he is from Scotland.
  • Options
    Has The Pub Landlord offered Nigel any advice yet?

If not, it surely can't be long.....
  • Options
    edited March 2015

RobD said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_P said:

Demanding everything puts Scotland first is not a recipe for coalition. Its one thing to represent a wider countrywide political viewpoint, but to press for a narrow regional (and politically narrow as well) hegemony can only alienate voters in England. Since the SNP plan only works with Labour the largest party then everything the SNP have said makes it ever more mad for anyone in the North of England to vote Labour.
    You cannot desperately give "vows" to keep Scotland within the Union and then complain that their politics is narrow. The SNP stands for the independence of Scotland.

As they see it, by holding the balance of power, even if there is a minority Tory government with ,say, 290 seats, they can agree or disagree any government legislation. A form of guerrilla legislative warfare. Basically, drive the government crazy ! It is then the "English" who will want them out ! The SNP wins through the back door - same result. Can't fault them with their strategy. It is not up to them to worry about a stable UK government.
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

MP_SE said:

MikeK said:

Reverse the situation and imagine how a university student taking part in one of those Britain First mosque invasion protests would be treated.

And these people think they are any better than the thugs who used to go around intimidating people to vote NSDAP in the 1930's in Germany. We should round them up, exile them dump them in Calais and replace them with some of the immigrants trying to get into this country. They are a blight on this nations reputation.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

notme said:

Speedy said:

Just like some other instances in federations or unions there are vile extremist parties that govern parts of a federation but can't exercise total control.
    Fair play, James Kelly MSP is at just the right intellectual level to lead a party you might support.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

So anti-UKIP protestors have failed to win over UKIP supporters on pb. I am not sure that they'll write the protest off as a failure solely on that account.

Well their methods won't get much sympathy with the rest too.
    The Militant Tendency died because of similar methods.
  • Options

Has The Pub Landlord offered Nigel any advice yet?

If not, it surely can't be long.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Uai95uv4Xk

Sounds like FKUP is just the party for these guys....
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    MP_SE said:

MikeK said:

Quite agree. - a very nasty business and goes well beyond the bounds of legal protest
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

Speedy said:

MP_SE said:

MikeK said:

From what I can gather this was the plan all along. They were going to turn up at his regular pub and stage a protest. It just so happened that he was lunching at a pub across the road so they decided to protest there.

If he wasn't there they would have staged a protest in his regular pub and presumably caused damage through putting up "decorations" and intimidating customers which would have lost business.

These people are vermin. They set out to harm a local business and bumping into Nigel Farage whose car they attacked was a bonus.
    A Muslim call to prayer inside a pub ? That must be a first ! Next to Gay Rights people, breastfeeding Moms, they are assimilating fast !
  • Options
    edited March 2015

MP_SE said:

MikeK said:

Now now... a MSc student is not a parasite - be pays £9000 for the privilege... unless he is from Scotland.
    a) Well I cannot see someone like that ever earning enough to pay off his student loans.
    b) He was at Strathclyde University

PARASITE!
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,355
    Afternoon all.

So was it a phantom Sun on Sunday YG? (only Sunday Times?)
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    antifrank said:

Overwhelmingly negative response on Twitter. A lot of people saying that even though they disagree with UKIP what happened in the pub crossed the line.

Do you support the "protest"?
  • Options

Speedy said:

notme said:

Speedy said:

Fair play, James Kelly MSP is at just the right intellectual level to lead a party you might support.
    I'm sure that for you Jim Murphy is at just the right intellectual level to lead a party you might oppose.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    antifrank said:

And its hardly a surprise that you would come running to their defence either. I bet you wish you were there?
  • Options
    antifrank said:

I'm not kipper, but am on the right, so probably wouldn't be displeased with that either.
  • Options
    edited March 2015

antifrank said:

And its hardly a surprise that you would come running to their defence either. I bet you wish you were there?
    I'm not defending them. I think this kind of protest is crass and counter-productive.

I'm noting that two dozen Bufton Tuftons spluttering about anarchy in the UK isn't going to deter them. The opposite, in fact.
  • Options
    It will be interesting to see if the Home Office persist in refusing to give Farage protection
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    antifrank said:

Antifrank

Who is the Frank you are against? :)
  • Options
    RobD said:

antifrank said:

I'm not kipper, but am on the right, so probably wouldn't be displeased with that either.
    What those protesters did was give UKIP publicity and make people feel sorry for Farage.
  • Options

It will be interesting to see if the Home Office persist in refusing to give Farage protection

We all know the answer to that one.
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    I have no idea who will come out best / win in this "charade" but it now seems that the future of the country, our destiny As a nation will depend on a sodding Tv programme.

FFS. It's not democracy it's "Soaps" box politic. Everyone will claim they won the debate as will the papers along political lines and no guesses as to where the BBC will fall. What does it prove? Nada , zilch, nothing absolutely feckall. . A complete shambles where the debate over a debate has hidden the important issues for weeks and months.

We deserve everything we are going to get .....we truly do
  • Options
    Mr. Antifrank, d'you think it's ok to harass politicians when they're out for dinner with their family?

Beyond the most staggering of idiots, it's hard to think of anyone who would approve of the foolishness of the protesters.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,857
    RobD said:

I'd really hate to have my Sunday lunch down the boozer interrupted by a bunch of bastards. I wonder why the landlord didn't do anything about it, there isn't any right to protest on private property.

Presumably didn't want to bother with the hassle - they'd do their thing and then leave, and getting someone arrested or even just spoken to by police (as I doubt they'd leave 'early' if asked) would probably delight such 'protesters'. Reminds me how happy Caroline Lucas must have been at managing to get herself arrested at an anti-Fracking demo, I'm amazed she managed to keep the smile off her face.
  • Options
    Mr. Moses, I share your contempt for the further shallowing of the political process.

Broadcasters playing politics is a new low.
  • Options
    initforthemoneyinitforthemoney Posts: 736
    edited March 2015
    Someone (even a Scot) doing an MSc in Scotland will generally have to fund it himself. The Scottish government won't fund it and the student loan regime does not apply to postgraduate studies.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Scott_P said:

The article is simply wrong - he did not say that.

He said the SNP proposed UK economic plan was for no tax rises but he didn't say he wouldn't support a 50p rate. His only statement on the top rate of tax is that he would vote against a reduction in the top rate of tax.

It might just be me though, interview is here.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b05p2r5s/the-andrew-marr-show-22032015
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,857
    edited March 2015
    Moses_ said:

. A complete shambles where the debate over a debate has hidden the important issues for weeks and months.

We deserve everything we are going to get .....we truly do

I don't think the debate over the debates has hidden important issues at all, that's just standard hyperbolistic reaction when people don't like the idea of the debates - I would not have thought it an assault on democracy not to have the debates, but I also think we as a country can handle having them and getting the important issues known in other ways as well. It is possible to have a media circus and still talk about important things.

If we cannot do that, then yes, we do deserve what we get, in which case the debates don't matter in the slightest, as if it wasn't them causing this 'distraction' it would have been something else. The 'problem' is the political culture, which to a large degree is informed by what the public expects of the political class, so the 'problem' is us, not them or how they try to engage with us.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    antifrank said:

antifrank said:

I'm not defending them. I think this kind of protest is crass and counter-productive.

I'm noting that two dozen Bufton Tuftons spluttering about anarchy in the UK isn't going to deter them. The opposite, in fact.
    Well you clearly have a delusionally overblown view of the impact of Pb.com. I really don't think what is expressed on here matters that much.
This discussion has been closed.