Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » CON maintain their 14 seat lead on the main Commons seats s

SystemSystem Posts: 11,693
edited March 2015 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » CON maintain their 14 seat lead on the main Commons seats spread market

Meanwhile SPIN has now introduced a range of seat markets which take into account the second placed party. Basically you have a spread from 0 to 25 with the top figure for the winner and 10 for the second place.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,358
    Labour revival, albeit in part-ELBOW for the 7 polls so far this week:

Lab 34.1
    Con 33.3
    UKIP 13.4
    LD 7.9
    Green 5.8

Lab lead 0.8% - was 0.0% week-ending Sunday 15th March, and 0.3% 8th March!
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,655
    I think the Kippers could grab 2nd in my patch (Bishop Auckland). Town mayor was a recent high-profile defector to the Kippers, and the opposition vote was formerly spread between LD and Con.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,984
    Second!
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Ref: Spread markets – are these the bets that can be bought and sold as and when?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,941

Ref: Spread markets – are these the bets that can be bought and sold as and when?

Yes
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    edited March 2015

In theory, yes, but be careful

The Spread firms have a nasty habit of suspending markets just when it would suit you most to trade out
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    edited March 2015
    The mid-points of these spreads add up to 634.4, which is a bit high given the 632 seats on offer and the chance of Galloway holding on in Bradford West. Do they count the Speaker as a Conservative for this total, or should he also be excluded from the number available?

This suggests that most punters have sought to buy the party they think will outperform the spread, and more value exists in identifying the party you think will underperform the current prices.
  • Options
    Dan Hodges reckons Ed might not win...

@TeleComment: If David Cameron wins on Lynton Crosby's ticket, it will be open season on all the old Tory values, says @DPJHodges http://t.co/QuXxyl9oq3
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    @Pulpstar & @Scott_P Many thanks ftr! – I must admit I thought most of these markets had been withdrawn a while ago.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,952
    I recommended selling LibLabCon (for want of a better word, I wouldn't normally use that!) at 588, so that seems to have come my way if anyone did it

Also UKIP x4 seems to add up to more than the Lib Dem quotes.. everyone tells me I have had a shocking bet there...

• Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    I really don't like TimM and his carping - this sums him up
    I found the article noteworthy for two reasons. First, because as well as being one of Britain’s foremost political commentators, Tim Montgomerie reflects the views of a significant element of the Conservative party. And second, because until today I thought this “we must be careful not to win the wrong way” nonsense was the preserve of the Labour party.
    Scott_P said:

@TeleComment: If David Cameron wins on Lynton Crosby's ticket, it will be open season on all the old Tory values, says @DPJHodges http://t.co/QuXxyl9oq3

• Options
    Plato said:

"Cameron can't win, because he's not IDS" says Continuity IDS...
  • Options
    Quite telegraph.co.uk/finance/budget/11483301/Sketch-Danny-Alexander-enjoyed-writing-the-Budget-so-much...-that-today-hes-written-another-one.html
    I know what I’m about to tell you sounds mad. But look at it from Danny Alexander’s point of view. Seven weeks from now, he won’t be a minister any more. He may not even be an MP. This, almost certainly, was his last chance to realise a lifelong dream. So this morning, less than 24 hours after the Budget, he went to the Commons to present a Budget of his own.

Now, you may be thinking, “Hang on a minute. Danny Alexander is Chief Secretary to the Treasury. He co-wrote the Budget.” And you’d be right. He confirmed this to a bewildered House. “The policy measures in the Budget were ones that I helped put together on an equal measure with the Chancellor,” he said proudly, “and I will be voting in favour of all the Budget resolutions.”

And yet here he was, at the exact same time, telling the House how he’d actually prefer to do it all differently. “To those asking whether there is another way,” he cried, “I say, ‘Yes – there is a better way!’” A better way than the Budget he’d co-written, and was still firmly intending to vote for.
  • Options
    isam said:

I recommended selling LibLabCon (for want of a better word, I wouldn't normally use that!) at 588, so that seems to have come my way if anyone did it

Also UKIP x4 seems to add up to more than the Lib Dem quotes.. everyone tells me I have had a shocking bet there...

UKIP has a body 3 blocks high and a tail a mile long.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited March 2015
    isam said:

Or you could have simply bought the SNP at 20.5, as some of us recommended here and did ourselves...
  • Options

isam said:

Or you could have simply bought the SNP, as some of us did...
    Yes, missed that one.

At least I didn't sell them at 20 though ;)
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Nasty right wing press out to get Burnham

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/mar/18/key-labour-nhs-pledge-impossible-to-deliver-says-influential-thinktank

"One of Labour’s key NHS election pledges, designed to protect services from being privatised, has been rejected as impossible to deliver by the King’s Fund.

The influential health thinktank has warned that it would be extremely unlikely that a Labour government could implement Andy Burnham’s promise to exempt the NHS from EU procurement and competition rules."
  • Options
    edited March 2015

isam said:

Or you could have simply bought the SNP at 20.5, as some of us recommended here and did ourselves...
    That's one way to extract joy from the fact we may have 40+ SNPers in the Commons.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,997
    edited March 2015

Lab 34.1
    Con 33.3
    UKIP 13.4
    LD 7.9
    Green 5.8

It looks like a small weakening of UKIP and Green and a slight strengthening of Labour.

In my switching model, this has the biggest effect in Scotland even though I haven't altered the proportion of 2010 vote that SNP takes from Lab and LibDem. The small increase in Lab vote has a big impact on the Lab/SNP marginals but not on the English Lab/Con marginals because Con benefits from the lower UKIP figure.

I have ten scottish constituencies with Lab/SNP or SNP/Lab majorities less than 2% i.e. in the hundreds.

Latest seats projection

Con 262 ... (262)
    Lab 294 ... (283)
    LD 28 ... (30)
    UKIP 2 ... (2)
    Grn 1 ... (1)
    SNP 42 ... (51)
  • Options
    RobD said:

isam said:

That's one way to extract joy from the fact we may have 40+ SNPers in the Commons.
    A very direct way!
  • Options

RobD said:

isam said:

A very direct way!
    Sorry, but I hope you lose all your money.... ;)
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Montie not happy with him on twitter - good spat brewing :D
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

isam said:

A very direct way!
    I bloody don't.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,211
    RobD said:

isam said:

Devoutly wishing for something can have unexpected consequences.

Better together..
  • Options
    @JasonGroves1: George Osborne hails IFS verdict that incomes will be higher this year than in 2010 as a 'very significant moment in our economic debate'

Ed "I won't reverse any of this budget" Balls slapped down by the IFS.
  • Options
    RobD said:

No risk of that, I'm in profit for all Scottish outcomes apart from a loss of a few quid at about 8 SNP seats, and I'm not losing much sleep over that.
  • Options

isam said:

The word "simply" used to describe getting a bet on with Sporting Index... you're a one Richard!
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,833
    Between yesterday's Conservative Budget and today's Lib-Dem Fiasco it looks like we've got the makings of ConDem V2? ;)
  • Options
    isam said:

The word "simply" used to describe getting a bet on with Sporting Index... you're a one Richard!

Simple for me (and on credit too) - I've always found them one of the better bookies for getting reasonable liquidity. Alternatively you could have used Spreadex.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,723
    Plato said:

Quite telegraph.co.uk/finance/budget/11483301/Sketch-Danny-Alexander-enjoyed-writing-the-Budget-so-much...-that-today-hes-written-another-one.html

I know what I’m about to tell you sounds mad. But look at it from Danny Alexander’s point of view. Seven weeks from now, he won’t be a minister any more. He may not even be an MP. This, almost certainly, was his last chance to realise a lifelong dream. So this morning, less than 24 hours after the Budget, he went to the Commons to present a Budget of his own.

Now, you may be thinking, “Hang on a minute. Danny Alexander is Chief Secretary to the Treasury. He co-wrote the Budget.” And you’d be right. He confirmed this to a bewildered House. “The policy measures in the Budget were ones that I helped put together on an equal measure with the Chancellor,” he said proudly, “and I will be voting in favour of all the Budget resolutions.”

And yet here he was, at the exact same time, telling the House how he’d actually prefer to do it all differently. “To those asking whether there is another way,” he cried, “I say, ‘Yes – there is a better way!’” A better way than the Budget he’d co-written, and was still firmly intending to vote for.
    What's the problem? It's a coalition, neither George nor Danny got what they completely wanted. They got what they wanted where they agreed and elsewhere they compromised. I'm fine with both of them saying what they would have liked to have - and no doubt that will happen over the next few weeks.
  • Options
    @HTScotPol: Index from new @AlexSalmond book, The Dream Shall Never Die http://t.co/0IzzwiGRl7
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

Lab 34.1
    Con 33.3
    UKIP 13.4
    LD 7.9
    Green 5.8

It looks like a small weakening of UKIP and Green and a slight strengthening of Labour.

In my switching model, this has the biggest effect in Scotland even though I haven't altered the proportion of 2010 vote that SNP takes from Lab and LibDem. The small increase in Lab vote has a big impact on the Lab/SNP marginals but not on the English Lab/Con marginals because Con benefits from the lower UKIP figure.

I have ten scottish constituencies with Lab/SNP or SNP/Lab majorities less than 2% i.e. in the hundreds.

Latest seats projection

Con 262 ... (262)
    Lab 294 ... (283)
    LD 28 ... (30)
    UKIP 2 ... (2)
    Grn 1 ... (1)
    SNP 42 ... (51)
    Which constituencies ?
  • Options
    For our history buffs. telegraph.co.uk/news/science/science-news/11480732/Britons-still-live-in-Anglo-Saxon-tribal-kingdoms-Oxford-University-finds.html
    Britons are still living in the same 'tribes' that they did in the 7th Century, Oxford University has found after an astonishing study into our genetic make-up.

Archaeologists and geneticists were amazed to find that genetically similar individuals inhabit the same areas they did following the Anglo-Saxon invasion, following the fall of the Roman Empire.

In fact, a map showing tribes of Britain in 600AD is almost identical to a new chart showing genetic variability throughout the UK, suggesting that local communities have stayed put for the past 1415 years.
    For anyone interested, my parents restored Lord Armstrong's [of gun making fame] home/banqueting hall in Jesmond Dene and we lived there for a while - the banks opposite were full of cannon ball holes. It and the surrounding grounds were epic for a little girl like me.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Labour Uncut throwing in the towel

The grim reality is that unless there is a random unforeseen event which upends the race, Labour’s poll rating history will repeat itself with the party headed for one of its worst ever election results.
    http://labour-uncut.co.uk/2015/03/19/the-budget-was-labours-last-chance-history-is-clear-about-what-happens-next/

• Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    I'm not sure why the Greens have risen to 1.4 - 1.8. Anyway, I've sold them at 1.4.

The Conservatives should be a sell at 282 on fundamentals, but the irrational exuberance supporting them in the markets at present is a phenomenon to behold. Labour and the Conservatives look the wrong way around to me on current data.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Barnesian said:

Lab 34.1
    Con 33.3
    UKIP 13.4
    LD 7.9
    Green 5.8

Latest seats projection

Con 262 ... (262)
    Lab 294 ... (283)
    LD 28 ... (30)
    UKIP 2 ... (2)
    Grn 1 ... (1)
    SNP 42 ... (51)
    Which constituencies ?
    Aberdeen
    Dumfries X 2
    Dunbarton
    Edinburgh
    Glasgow
    Invercly
    Motherwell
    Paisley
    Rutherg

You'll have to work out which specific constituencies. I'm just off to a St Patrick's do.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,783
    Plato said:

For our history buffs. telegraph.co.uk/news/science/science-news/11480732/Britons-still-live-in-Anglo-Saxon-tribal-kingdoms-Oxford-University-finds.html

Britons are still living in the same 'tribes' that they did in the 7th Century, Oxford University has found after an astonishing study into our genetic make-up.

Archaeologists and geneticists were amazed to find that genetically similar individuals inhabit the same areas they did following the Anglo-Saxon invasion, following the fall of the Roman Empire.

In fact, a map showing tribes of Britain in 600AD is almost identical to a new chart showing genetic variability throughout the UK, suggesting that local communities have stayed put for the past 1415 years.
    For anyone interested, my parents restored Lord Armstrong's [of gun making fame] home/banqueting hall in Jesmond Dene and we lived there for a while - the banks opposite were full of cannon ball holes. It and the surrounding grounds were epic for a little girl like me.

I knew you were a Geordie lass at heart!

Oh, the days of the Fisherman's Lodge! (and its wood panelled sibling the Fisherman's Wharf on the Quayside)

http://www.thejournal.co.uk/news/north-east-news/complaints-lodged-over-shut-fishermans-4394256
  • Options
    SunnyJimSunnyJim Posts: 1,106
    Betting Post:

1730 Wolves Madakheel 66-1 ew (StanJames)
  • Options
    antifrank said:

The Conservatives should be a sell at 282 on fundamentals, but the irrational exuberance supporting them in the markets at present is a phenomenon to behold. Labour and the Conservatives look the wrong way around to me on current data.

They may be the wrong way round, but if so it's not necessarily irrational exuberance amongst punters. Ask the academics what they are predicting:

Conservative:

May2015 277
    Election Forecast 284
    Elections etc 285
    Guardian 277

Labour:

May2015 268
    Election Forecast 279
    Elections etc 279
    Guardian 269

http://may2015.com/category/seat-calculator/
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    Plato said:

For anyone interested, my parents restored Lord Armstrong's [of gun making fame] home/banqueting hall in Jesmond Dene and we lived there for a while - the banks opposite were full of cannon ball holes. It and the surrounding grounds were epic for a little girl like me.From the article:

"The ‘People of the British Isles’ study analysed the DNA of 2,039 people from rural areas of the UK, whose four grandparents were all born within 80km of each other.

Because a quarter of our genome comes from each of our grandparents, the researchers were effectively sampling DNA from these ancestors, allowing a snapshot of UK genetics in the late 19th Century before mass migration events caused by the industrial revolution."

So it wasn't looking at the status today, in 2015, but in something like 1885, which would be 1285 years after 600AD, not the 1415 stated.

Very surprised by the Yorkshire results, though, that suggest no long-lasting Viking presence.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    Barnesian said:

Lab 34.1
    Con 33.3
    UKIP 13.4
    LD 7.9
    Green 5.8

Latest seats projection

Con 262 ... (262)
    Lab 294 ... (283)
    LD 28 ... (30)
    UKIP 2 ... (2)
    Grn 1 ... (1)
    SNP 42 ... (51)
    Why has the SNP fallen by 9?

• Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,290
    edited March 2015
    Con Most Seats just gone in another 0.01 on Betfair - now 1.45 - shortest ever.

Really baffling - I wish it was true that their prospects were improving - but where is the objective evidence?
  • Options

Plato said:

What's the problem? It's a coalition, neither George nor Danny got what they completely wanted. They got what they wanted where they agreed and elsewhere they compromised. I'm fine with both of them saying what they would have liked to have - and no doubt that will happen over the next few weeks.

It was a complete farce. Danny and his little toy yellow My First Budget Box, playing at being Chancellor.

It just confirmed what most people have thought all along about the Lib Dems since the formation of the "Coalition".

Still, they can't fall much further, they might as well go demob happy and have a bit of fun.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,290
    We were promised an announcement re the debates this morning - but no sign of it.

I wonder if the final thing being argued over is whether Farage moves from the 16 April "Challengers" event to the 30 April "Final" event.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,833
    edited March 2015
    MikeL said:

Really baffling - I wish it was true that their prospects were improving - but where is the objective evidence?

Doesn't The Sun usually get YouGov around now? ;)

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,026
    isam said:

isam: the UKIP spread bet captures the implicit optionality. I am long UKIP seats, but don't expect them to get more than 4 or 5, because if UKIP gets 20% in the election (or if the LibDems get to 15%, and eat into the Labour and Conservative vote), then they could get 20, 30 or even 50 seats. Essentially, I'm getting huge upside, and very limited downside.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Barnesian said:

Lab 34.1
    Con 33.3
    UKIP 13.4
    LD 7.9
    Green 5.8

Latest seats projection

Con 262 ... (262)
    Lab 294 ... (283)
    LD 28 ... (30)
    UKIP 2 ... (2)
    Grn 1 ... (1)
    SNP 42 ... (51)
    Why has the SNP fallen by 9?

Green and a little UKIP back to Labour in tight marginals.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

Pulpstar said:

Barnesian said:

Lab 34.1
    Con 33.3
    UKIP 13.4
    LD 7.9
    Green 5.8

Latest seats projection

Con 262 ... (262)
    Lab 294 ... (283)
    LD 28 ... (30)
    UKIP 2 ... (2)
    Grn 1 ... (1)
    SNP 42 ... (51)
    Which constituencies ?
    Aberdeen
    Dumfries X 2
    Dunbarton
    Edinburgh
    Glasgow
    Invercly
    Motherwell
    Paisley
    Rutherg

You'll have to work out which specific constituencies. I'm just off to a St Patrick's do.
    Aberdeen South
    Edinburgh SW
    Glasgow Central and NW
    Paisley South which is the most marginal seat in my model for the whole UK - one vote in it!

Now I really must go.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

MikeL said:

Doesn't The Sun usually get YouGov around now? ;)

Lol, well if YouGov shows the usual timely Tory boostlet I'm sure Tom Newton Dunn will be chirping up about an "interesting poll" soon enough ;-)
  • Options
    SunnyJim said:

Betting Post:

1730 Wolves Madakheel 66-1 ew (StanJames)

On at 35-1 E/W, place price wrong lol
  • Options
    MikeL said:

Try the Labour uncut article posted below..

• Options
    When my parents got it - it was totally derelict and unsafe. Our Great Dane [almost as 70s as an Afghan Hound] fell through a staircase as woodworm was endemic. It had lead pipes, no viable heating and holes in the roof.

It was called The Victoria during our stay. I had my 9th birthday party in the ballroom with an 8-Track. I think we had a 999yr lease and as ever, my dad got bored and sold it on and became a software man instead [in 010101 language].

It is too bizarre to explain living in a condemned building and couldn't drink the water, getting trapped in the eaves/frightened of falling through the floor, lost in the grounds and crying my eyes out when the field next to it was tarmaced over.

We used to steal dry ice from the Walls ice cream delivery man and drop it on the river rats!

Plato said:

I knew you were a Geordie lass at heart!

Oh, the days of the Fisherman's Lodge! (and its wood panelled sibling the Fisherman's Wharf on the Quayside)

http://www.thejournal.co.uk/news/north-east-news/complaints-lodged-over-shut-fishermans-4394256

• Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382

antifrank said:

They may be the wrong way round, but if so it's not necessarily irrational exuberance amongst punters. Ask the academics what they are predicting:

Conservative:

May2015 277
    Election Forecast 284
    Elections etc 285
    Guardian 277

Labour:

May2015 268
    Election Forecast 279
    Elections etc 279
    Guardian 269

I've been a seller of the Tories at 280 since before Christmas.

Just got back from London with some very good info. I'm getting my bets on before sharing.

• Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,437
    antifrank said:

I'm not sure why the Greens have risen to 1.4 - 1.8. Anyway, I've sold them at 1.4.

'Twas ever thus. But the markets only overestimated the Conservatives by 10 seats in 2010GE.

It was Labour they under predicted and Lib Dems they over predicted. But arguably that's evidence for inertia in the system and innate favourability to the government.

Anyway, I agree. I was bullish on the Tories chances. Until I saw that disastrous Ashcroft marginals poll.
  • Options

antifrank said:

Conservative:

May2015 277
    Election Forecast 284
    Elections etc 285
    Guardian 277

Labour:

May2015 268
    Election Forecast 279
    Elections etc 279
    Guardian 269

Just got back from London with some very good info. I'm getting my bets on before sharing.

Have you heard someone is "very confident" :) ?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

antifrank said:

Conservative:

May2015 277
    Election Forecast 284
    Elections etc 285
    Guardian 277

Labour:

May2015 268
    Election Forecast 279
    Elections etc 279
    Guardian 269

Have you heard someone is "very confident" :) ?
    Secret Canadians counting tweets ?
  • Options

Just got back from London with some very good info.

Did Danny let you peek inside his box?
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,994
    Mr. Royale, I wouldn't put too much faith in a single poll. Ashcroft's polling has many peaks and troughs.
  • Options

Mr. Royale, I wouldn't put too much faith in a single poll. Ashcroft's polling has many peaks and troughs.

Or just troughs if you're Scottish Labour :)
  • Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    Will it be "Kipper heaven" tonight?
    Britain out of Europe?
  • Options
    Paul_Mid_BedsPaul_Mid_Beds Posts: 1,409
    edited March 2015

antifrank said:

Conservative:

May2015 277
    Election Forecast 284
    Elections etc 285
    Guardian 277

Labour:

May2015 268
    Election Forecast 279
    Elections etc 279
    Guardian 269

Whatever you've heard in London, I think it is pretty certain now that a goodly chunk of those 52% of Voters who have not made their mind up yet will decide to stick with the devil they know and consider being compassionate and voting Labour a luxury they cannot risk.

Not sure whether the Tories will get a bigger % than 2010 or fall a couple of points short but I think for Labour the question is whether Miliband can beat Kinnock or Foots share of the vote with floating voters leaking to the Tories, the scots to SNP, the left to Green/Respect and White Van Man to UKIP.
  • Options
    OT I've been watching The World At War - it scores 9.4 on IMDb. I'd forgotten how superb it is as a documentary and made IIRC by Thames TV.

When did the BBC make anything so fabulous bar David Attenborough?
  • Options
    Mr. Pulpstar, well, quite. Even a dead cat bounces. Scottish Labour do appear to be a dead hippopotamus.
  • Options
    Off topic

FIFA announce 2022 World Cup Final will be played on the 18th December 2022. The Sunday before Christmas.. Just when everyone is busy getting ready for Christmas.

#boycottworldcup2022
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,855
    Plato said:

I found the article noteworthy for two reasons. First, because as well as being one of Britain’s foremost political commentators, Tim Montgomerie reflects the views of a significant element of the Conservative party. And second, because until today I thought this “we must be careful not to win the wrong way” nonsense was the preserve of the Labour party.
    Scott_P said:

Isn't a bit premature of Dan Hodges to be declaring a Conservative victory?

Even if the Conservatives were to form a minority government on, say, 297 seats, I don't think the argument would be settled.

• Options
    Mr. Gift, it's ridiculous. Worth recalling the preceding World Cup will be in Russia.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,848

Mr. Pulpstar, well, quite. Even a dead cat bounces. Scottish Labour do appear to be a dead hippopotamus.

Would an elephant do? (Or even elephants.)(

giphy.com/gifs/CmP32SBiePG4o

• Options

Off topic

FIFA announce 2022 World Cup Final will be played on the 18th December 2022. The Sunday before Christmas.. Just when everyone is busy getting ready for Christmas.

#boycottworldcup2022

A lot of the World wont! Its not the Christian Cup!
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693

antifrank said:

Conservative:

May2015 277
    Election Forecast 284
    Elections etc 285
    Guardian 277

Labour:

May2015 268
    Election Forecast 279
    Elections etc 279
    Guardian 269

Even if it is irrational exuberance, it's not necessarily a bubble that will pop until the votes are counted. cf, Romney/intrade.

I mean, which was more silly; Investing in dutch tulips, or not investing in dutch tulips before everyone else got in on the game? The intrinsic value of dutch tulips never really mattered an awful lot, did it?
  • Options
    Mr. Carnyx, elephants are delightful, but hippopotamus is a more amusing word.

Mr. Isam, don't have to be a Christian to do something for Christmas.
  • Options
    @KayBurley: #LeadersDebates: Want to be in our audience? http://t.co/q9BZ0GHZnY http://t.co/ONstxJDAg9

Where's Nige..?
  • Options
    @SkyNewsBreak: Reuters: CNBC reports U.S. Republican Senator Rand Paul has filed to run for president in 2016
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    Sky News Newsdesk ‏@SkyNewsBreak 30s30 seconds ago
    Reuters: CNBC reports U.S. Republican Senator Rand Paul has filed to run for president in 2016
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    'I'd forgotten how superb it is as a documentary and made IIRC by Thames TV.'

Olivier's narration is utterly masterful...
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    Scott_P said:

@KayBurley: #LeadersDebates: Want to be in our audience? http://t.co/q9BZ0GHZnY http://t.co/ONstxJDAg9

Where's Nige..?

lol
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Where's Nige..?

In at least one debate which means you called it bang wrong
  • Options
    Plato said:

OT I've been watching The World At War - it scores 9.4 on IMDb. I'd forgotten how superb it is as a documentary and made IIRC by Thames TV.

Wasn't the 'Cold War' series narrated by Kenneth Branagh a BBC/CNN production? That was pretty good as I recall.
  • Options
    @paulhutcheon: Wish you were here? Thought not http://t.co/b3smMYw1N4
  • Options
    Never heard of it. Another fantastic Thames TV show was Crime Inc. Superb on the Mafia

Plato said:

Wasn't the 'Cold War' series narrated by Kenneth Branagh a BBC/CNN production? That was pretty good as I recall.
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    dr_spyn said:

Sky News Newsdesk ‏@SkyNewsBreak 30s30 seconds ago
    Reuters: CNBC reports U.S. Republican Senator Rand Paul has filed to run for president in 2016

http://www.fec.gov/fecviewer/CandidateCommitteeDetail.do?candidateCommitteeId=P40003576&tabIndex=1
  • Options
    @bpolitics: False alarm: @SenRandPaul has not yet filed FEC paperwork for presidential run (by @DaveWeigel) http://t.co/0D22Z5JylX
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    I'm expecting Paul to officially announce his candidacy any day or moment now in a rally or something but he has to be fast because the cat is out of the bag.
  • Options
    I've been just watching the Japanese bit pre-nukes and Kamikazes et al. They really were no different to suicide bombers of today since their planes were flying bombs and they were waved off as heroes destined never to return - just with a nationalistic agenda. I remain very impressed by their resolve whatever the case.
    taffys said:

'I'd forgotten how superb it is as a documentary and made IIRC by Thames TV.'

Olivier's narration is utterly masterful...

• Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506

Off topic

#boycottworldcup2022

At least we know the home nations will not be involved. :)
  • Options
    Mr. Evershed, have the results leaked already? ;)
  • Options
    FalseFlagFalseFlag Posts: 1,801
    Speedy said:

I'm expecting Paul to officially announce his candidacy any day or moment now in a rally or something but he has to be fast because the cat is out of the bag.

Even after he didn't clap Netanyahu's speech sufficiently enthusiastically?

Be about as popular with the Israel and military industrial complex as JFK.
  • Options
    Plato said:

Never heard of it. Another fantastic Thames TV show was Crime Inc. Superb on the Mafia

Plato said:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cold_War_(TV_series)

Most/all of it is on YouTube I think. Well worth a watch.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,796

Plato said:

The World at War is in my view the best documentary ever made. Knocking very hard on it's door is the earlier 'The Great War'. I think these both owe a lot in their ambition to a certain W Churchill - happily though they are somewhat less strongly biased.

The BBC make some outstanding programmes all the time. The days of really cold, hard, and interesting have perhaps somewhat passed - Horizon for example has really gone downhill. There's lots of 'lets break for some commercials, and a recap' which goes on. But.. once in a while they actually let proper programming off the leash. I've really liked some of Lucy Worsley's stuff in the last couple of years (although she's made some hideous stuff too), but the thing that really sticks in my mind is 'the joy of stats' with Hans Rosling - it was (and is) a really good example of what broadcasters can do.

I imagine that once upon a time people who knew a great deal about their subject saw the opportunity of making a BBC documentary as a real chance to set their views clearly, and to try to explain what their subject was all about. Modern academics should follow that example. Be clear, but don't talk down. If an academic isn't up to that then he doesn't understand his subject anyway.

So.... I have all this general love for the BBC, and yet I'd shut it down tomorrow - it never lives up to these ideals, it is nearly always biased, and it should be ashamed of itself. I'd open a very similar new BBC the day after.

• Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    I think Bobby Jindal is future presidential material. A true conservative.
  • Options
    Hengists_GiftHengists_Gift Posts: 628
    edited March 2015
    isam said:

Off topic

#boycottworldcup2022

A lot of the World wont! Its not the Christian Cup!
    And I'm not religious but it will severely disrupt two seasons football for the continent of the most heavily viewed football there is with considerable financial implications for the clubs and their sponsors and why because a bunch of fat cat Oil Shieks bribed a bunch of corrupt administrators.

That's why it should be boycotted. FIFA represent everything that is wrong with unaccountable global organisations and as for Blatter. I hope its a complete and utter failure.

Oh and thats not even going into the alleged issues around slave labour being used to build the stadiums.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Will give it a go - thanx for the recommend.

I just watched The Cat From Outer Space on YouTube - I haven't seen that in 30yrs. Disney's use of MASH actors makes it very funny in retrospect. And what YouTube was made for!

youtube.com/watch?v=9SEaSW1jtnQ

Plato said:

Plato said:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cold_War_(TV_series)

Most/all of it is on YouTube I think. Well worth a watch.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    edited March 2015
    They really were no different to suicide bombers of today since their planes were flying bombs and they were waved off as heroes destined never to return

Yes and no.

The Kamikazi pilots hurled themselves at heavily armed military shipping. You can see the anti aircraft fire pouring out at them in the World at War programme. Their enemies were seasoned troops with a fighting chance of survival.

Suicide bombers go for civilians.

This is what annoys me about islamists. A decent army would go through them like a dose of salts.
  • Options
    In fact the Tories enoy a significantly larger lead of almost 20 seats with IG's GE Seats spread market, i.e 289 vs 269.5 seats. I imagine that IG's market is far more actively traded, bearing in mind that it is a vastly larger operation than Sporting and also taking into account the fact that Sporting have only very recently reduced their spread from a hitherto hefty 6 seats to 5, whereas IG operate on a narrower spread of just 4 seats.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Nah, US president not my cup of tea. I did think of having a go as an independent in Mid Beds in May but couldn't be bothered.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699

In fact the Tories enoy a significantly larger lead of almost 20 seats with IG's GE Seats spread market, i.e 289 vs 269.5 seats. I imagine that IG's market is far more actively traded, bearing in mind that it is a vastly larger operation than Sporting and also taking into account the fact that Sporting have only very recently reduced their spread from a hitherto hefty 6 seats to 5, whereas IG operate on a narrower spread of just 4 seats.

At the same stage post budget in March 2010 the Conservative spread was 324-329 . A similar overstatement on polling day would see Labour as the largest party .
  • Options
    taffys said:

They really were no different to suicide bombers of today since their planes were flying bombs and they were waved off as heroes destined never to return

Yes and no.

The Kamikazi pilots hurled themselves at heavily armed military shipping. You can see the anti aircraft fire pouring out at them in the World at War programme. Their enemies were seasoned troops with a fighting chance of survival.

Suicide bombers go for civilians.

This is what annoys me about islamists. A decent army would go through them like a dose of salts.

While the south Mediterranean nutters are the last people who I would stand up for, exactly why should anyone fight a war in a way that their enemy is rather better at than them? Once you start a war the end largely justifies the means.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    Ignoring posts like Roger's meal with his mate.. and Rosaree's ridiculous posts what actual vibes are you getting re Budget 2015???. I've met lots of people but not a soul has mentioned it in any way whatsoever.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    @rowenamason: Ukip saying they have suspended Janice Atkinson MEP

@BBCBreaking: UKIP MEP & #GE2015 candidate Janice Atkinson suspended from party over "allegations of serious financial nature" http://t.co/7YyhsDasmw
This discussion has been closed.