Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The big GE15 gamble is trying to work out what all the poll

Comments

• Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,052
    From my reading of the forecast models and the punters, the punters are almost universally self selecting Peter Kellner's 36/31post budget love in prediction and the election forecast model. The election forecast model is starting to converge and creating a squeaky bum moment for Tory punters with only a 10 seat differential in favour of the Tories. UkElect is as good as a toss of a coin.

I think through all this Mike has got it right- Tories more votes and Labour more seats. I think Cameron has made a major mistake ducking the debates, and the attempts by the right wing press to big up the budget will back fire.

Cameron may well rue the opportunity of a one to one with Miliband a week before the election to change the momentum of a negative campaign.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Very positive 52% likeability rating for Labour, must be the best portent.

It might be - it is certainly very encouraging for the, particularly as Ed M's ratings continue to suffer for the moment at the very least - but that does not mean it must be.

As it is, in a tight race, which it appears this will be, and with Labour more likely to get more seats off the same level of vote (pending how bad Scotland gets), that more people like Labour may be that little bit extra that secures it for them. The Tories, by comparison, really need Cameron's rating advantage to lead to a polling advantage just to get to national vote share parity. I cannot see what else might boost them that little bit more to get most seats.
    The budget
    That's the hope. Can't see it, especially as it will no doubt be a bunch of gimmicks, promises notwithstanding. But I've been wrong before.
    No one should underestimate George Osborne's ability to produce a gamechanger
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    MP_SE said:

woody662 said:

If I remember correctly, the Lib Dem poll ratings in 2010 which led to the spreads putting them at 80-90 seats was based on a young demographic which in the end failed to show up for polling day. Now the Lib Dems do not attract this vote, can we presume it has gone Labour/Green. I wonder how soft this is and whether Labour's vote will not live up to its poll rating.

Canvassing anecdote alert, found our strongest section of Labour vote at the weekend, all public sector professionals. The WWC seem to be melting away from Labour though.

I agree that public sector professionals are the bedrock Labour vote, but the WWC vote is harder to pin down as their floating voters tend to be less engaged and decide later if at all.

The personal vote factor is pretty big in my patch - about a third of the voters spontaneously express a view on AS or me, and in the absence of clear national preferences it's often quoted as decisive. I assume the same sort of "politics as duel" scenario is being played out in the other 20 or so retread seats.
    Where I work (public sector) there is a lot of vocal support for the Tories and UKIP. Several people having openly stated they pray Labour do not win the GE. I despise discussing politics at work so try to avoid it where possible.

It is a Tory stronghold so may be different elsewhere in the country. Coming from the private sector where the industry I worked in was fiercely pro-Tory this experience has come as a big suprise.
    In my NHS workplace there is general apathy about politics, which perhaps in itself shows what a poor weapon the NHS is. We are making progress, though of course there are strains.

I did see a kipper in full regalia in outpatients last week. A distinguished looking 60 something wearing a dark blazer, and striped tie in the kipper colours with matching yellow shirt. He had accessorised with a ukip lapel badge.

The Gujerati receptionist checked him in, the Portuguese Nurse called him through for the Greek Doctor to see. It was all very professional on both sides, but it did rather remind me of "the Life and Death of Colonel Blimp", but perhaps I am reading too much into a momentary encounter.
  • Options

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

It might be - it is certainly very encouraging for the, particularly as Ed M's ratings continue to suffer for the moment at the very least - but that does not mean it must be.

As it is, in a tight race, which it appears this will be, and with Labour more likely to get more seats off the same level of vote (pending how bad Scotland gets), that more people like Labour may be that little bit extra that secures it for them. The Tories, by comparison, really need Cameron's rating advantage to lead to a polling advantage just to get to national vote share parity. I cannot see what else might boost them that little bit more to get most seats.
    The budget
    That's the hope. Can't see it, especially as it will no doubt be a bunch of gimmicks, promises notwithstanding. But I've been wrong before.
    It will get fawning coverage in the media no matter what, we can be sure of that.
  • Options
    It will be a big moment with wall to wall coverage going on for days and has to be watertight to be the gamechanger
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,139

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

The budget
    He's not a sure thing by any means though of course - the omnishamble budget? Another of those might be gamechanging.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,055

George Osborne has drawn up plans that would allow parents to pass a main property worth up to £1m to their children without paying any inheritance tax, according to Treasury papers leaked ahead of Wednesday’s budget.

The proposed measure would also reduce the inheritance tax bill on properties worth up to £2m by £140,000 and the Treasury analysis concludes that the scheme would “most likely benefit high income and wealthier households”.

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2015/mar/16/tories-1m-inheritance-tax-giveaway-sensitive-papers-wealthier-households

Well that covers my EdMPM bets :P
  • Options
    Does it win the election though
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,038

George Osborne has drawn up plans that would allow parents to pass a main property worth up to £1m to their children without paying any inheritance tax, according to Treasury papers leaked ahead of Wednesday’s budget.

The proposed measure would also reduce the inheritance tax bill on properties worth up to £2m by £140,000 and the Treasury analysis concludes that the scheme would “most likely benefit high income and wealthier households”.

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2015/mar/16/tories-1m-inheritance-tax-giveaway-sensitive-papers-wealthier-households

Not sure the LDs would agree to that!
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486

MP_SE said:

woody662 said:

If I remember correctly, the Lib Dem poll ratings in 2010 which led to the spreads putting them at 80-90 seats was based on a young demographic which in the end failed to show up for polling day. Now the Lib Dems do not attract this vote, can we presume it has gone Labour/Green. I wonder how soft this is and whether Labour's vote will not live up to its poll rating.

Canvassing anecdote alert, found our strongest section of Labour vote at the weekend, all public sector professionals. The WWC seem to be melting away from Labour though.

I agree that public sector professionals are the bedrock Labour vote, but the WWC vote is harder to pin down as their floating voters tend to be less engaged and decide later if at all.

The personal vote factor is pretty big in my patch - about a third of the voters spontaneously express a view on AS or me, and in the absence of clear national preferences it's often quoted as decisive. I assume the same sort of "politics as duel" scenario is being played out in the other 20 or so retread seats.
    Where I work (public sector) there is a lot of vocal support for the Tories and UKIP. Several people having openly stated they pray Labour do not win the GE. I despise discussing politics at work so try to avoid it where possible.

It is a Tory stronghold so may be different elsewhere in the country. Coming from the private sector where the industry I worked in was fiercely pro-Tory this experience has come as a big suprise.
    In my NHS workplace there is general apathy about politics, which perhaps in itself shows what a poor weapon the NHS is. We are making progress, though of course there are strains.

I did see a kipper in full regalia in outpatients last week. A distinguished looking 60 something wearing a dark blazer, and striped tie in the kipper colours with matching yellow shirt. He had accessorised with a ukip lapel badge.

The Gujerati receptionist checked him in, the Portuguese Nurse called him through for the Greek Doctor to see. It was all very professional on both sides, but it did rather remind me of "the Life and Death of Colonel Blimp", but perhaps I am reading too much into a momentary encounter.
    In the managerial side up here in the North it's still very much left all the way.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,836
    edited March 2015
    Pulpstar said:

I suspect it reduces the number of Con to UKIP switchers particularly in the South.

George's 2007 IHT policy really did change the political narrative.

It was a policy the activists could sell on the door step.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Ofc they should, just put some higher bands on houses
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245
    Moses_ said:

At least Cameron can indulge in his beloved hunting once again when he is no longer PM.
    I was amused to see a Liberal posting as a Conservative from Yeovil on here.Fyshe could win Yeovil for the Tories.The posting which mentioned gay marriage made no sense in view of Laws being gay.

What are your views on the mainly working class sport of fishing and having dragged the poor fish out of its natural environment, suffering through inability to work it's gills correctly, stressed and dazed with a barbed steel hook locked in its throat it's subsequently manhandled, hook ripped out and thrown back in to suffer a similar fate. All over again.

Yeah thats bollox of course just like your post on a different sport with same outcome. Keep in mind on both rarely to the captors take the captive home as food. The only difference is one is favoured more by your people so that's ok.

PS. Never really like fox hunting but I dislike selective laws even more.
    Suspect it's unlikely that you'll get a reasoned response to that post.
  • Options
    rogerhrogerh Posts: 282
    Some predictions
    1.UNS for England and Wales and separately for Scotland will be the best method of predicting party seat numbers.
    2.The Tories have the most upside potential in polling share during the rest of the campaign.Three main reasons ;
    a).It's the economy stupid.
    b) Returning UKIP vote.
    c) A highly professional and effective air and ground campaign
    3.The increase in Tory share will lead to Tories having most votes and most seats.
    4. The numbers of seats will be high enough to give them an overall majority.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

I suspect it reduces the number of Con to UKIP switchers.

George's 2007 IHT policy really did change the political narrative.

It was a policy the activists could sell on the door step.
    The cynical voter may ask why it wasn't done this Parliament, given the promise in 2007. I guess it was before the crash etc. but still, it sounds similar to an old promise.
  • Options
    RobD said:

I'm assuming there's going to be some Lib Dem goodies in the budget. Personal allowance increased to 12k or maybe VAT removed on sandals.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Million pound houses do not often pay much inheritance tax at present. Just ask the Milibands.

If George is stupid enough to do this then it would be a new omnishambles.
  • Options
    Is it wrong of me to want Osborne to announce some sort of scheme for every man, woman, and child in the country which has the acronym OWL.

Suggestions on a postcard, please.
  • Options

RobD said:

I'm assuming there's going to be some Lib Dem goodies in the budget. Personal allowance increased to 12k or maybe VAT removed on sandals.
    PA to 12k would be good too.
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    Pulpstar said:

Well that covers my EdMPM bets :P
    Pumps up house-price bubble, encourages elderly to bed-block the market by not downsizing.
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,052
    rogerh said:

Some predictions
    1.UNS for England and Wales and separately for Scotland will be the best method of predicting party seat numbers.
    2.The Tories have the most upside potential in polling share during the rest of the campaign.Three main reasons ;
    b) Returning UKIP vote.
    3.The increase in Tory share will lead to Tories having most votes and most seats.

Rogerh- if you think the Tories will win a majority make there is a whole load of cash for you to win. Help yourself comrade
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

The budget
    It will get fawning coverage in the media no matter what, we can be sure of that.
    What makes you say that? In the past the press have ignored the actual content and conducting real analysis in favour of wibbling on about pasties.
  • Options

RobD said:

Million pound houses do not often pay much inheritance tax at present. Just ask the Milibands.

If he were sensible he'd set the band at £900,000 or something, or at least below £1m so it somewhat nullifies the word "million".
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,869

It looks to me like that's for the manifesto, not the budget.
  • Options

RobD said:

Why you've said it yourself it doesn't raise much tax.
  • Options
    PurseybearPurseybear Posts: 766
    Sean_F said:

Easterross • Posts: 1,776

7:10PM

Before people get carried away with some journalists and so called experts desperate wish for a Labour victory at any cost, as regulars say the trend is your friend.

Over the past 9 months
    ICM has gone from Labour leads of 7 to Tory leads of 1 and 4
    Populus has gone from Labour leads of 6 and 7 to between Labour leads of 2 and tied
    Survation with the exception of January's Tory lead maintains Labour 4 to 6 ahead
    ComRes has gone from Labour leads of 6 and 7 to between Labour leads of 2 and Tory leads of 2
    Opinium has gone from Labour leads of 6 to between Labour leads of 2 and Tory leads of 2
    YouGov has gone from Labour leads of 5 and 6 to Tory leads of between 1 and 4 in 6 out of the last 10 polls with 2 tied and 2 Labour leads
    Ashcroft has gone from Labour leads of 6 and 9 to Tory leads of 2 to 4
    IpsosMori has edged down from Labour leads of 3 to 1 with a couple of 3 point Tory leads at the end of last year.
    TNS remains stuck on Labour leads of 7

The Ashcroft marginal polls which in some cases are now 9 months old showed Labour taking its 1st 19 Tory targets and in 10 of them with a notional lead of less than 10%

He then showed then taking the next 7 with notional leads in 5 of them of under 10%

He showed them taking more than another 13 and among that 13 were more Tory holds than losses.

So Ashcroft showed Labour winning no more than 40 seats before hitting the Tory firewall of holds. Those 40 seats are not consecutive because there are 13 Tory holds, starting with Pudsey at No 22.

So at best Labour MIGHT on a good night win as many seats from the Tories as it is expected to lose to the SNP. Given that half those potential 40 Labour gains were showing leads of under 10%, the chances are that Labour must realistically be looking at a net loss of seats, depending on how many it can win from the Liberals.

But, the frequency of Conservative leads is increasing. A Conservative lead is now as likely as a Labour one.

Yeah thats notable.

Budgets taken on major importance. If tories come through 5% up then could be the game changer
  • Options
    tyson said:

From my reading of the forecast models and the punters, the punters are almost universally self selecting Peter Kellner's 36/31post budget love in prediction and the election forecast model. The election forecast model is starting to converge and creating a squeaky bum moment for Tory punters with only a 10 seat differential in favour of the Tories. UkElect is as good as a toss of a coin.

I think through all this Mike has got it right- Tories more votes and Labour more seats. I think Cameron has made a major mistake ducking the debates, and the attempts by the right wing press to big up the budget will back fire.

Cameron may well rue the opportunity of a one to one with Miliband a week before the election to change the momentum of a negative campaign.

I think Labour are looking at a maximum of 280 seats; the Tories a minimum of 270 seats.

The Lib Dems will be between 16 and 34 seats. The SNP between 32 and 48 seats.

I have no idea about UKIP.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

RobD said:

I agree, but "a tax cut for millionaires" is like the reduction from 50% to 45%, very bad politics 7 weeks before an election.

I don't think George is that stupid. I think he is lobbing a few red herrings about so that Ed gets the budget response all wrong.

More likely a tax cut on beer and whisky, and even petrol. Something that would wrongfoot Labour.
  • Options

RobD said:

It really wouldn't. Inheritance Tax is unpopular.
  • Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293
    edited March 2015
    Pulpstar said:

RobD said:

Neither did the 50p tax rate, that labour had in place for four to six weeks. But by lowering it to 45p labour presented it as a tax cut for millionaires, despite it been higher than the thirteen years they were in office.

The inheritance tax thing was a gold star because the thresholds hadnt keep in line with house price increases, making many people who wouldnt see themselves as rich bumping along at the rate. The major injustice has been undone though. To push up the thresholds now would not be a particularly wise act.

How about a tax break for companies that pay the living wage? Maybe upping the employee NI liabilities to encourage it.

• Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,024

The obvious gambit to me is either to increase the basic allowance, or reduce employee's national insurance. Yougov suggests either would be very popular.
  • Options
    edited March 2015

How about a tax break for companies that pay the living wage? Maybe upping the employee NI liabilities threshold to encourage it?

• Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    Interesting that a 'government source' calls the inheritance tax cut regressive. I wonder if we will see a Lib Dem policy leaked in the coming days that will be similarly welcome to its core vote while controversial elsewhere
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,026
    tyson said:

I agree
  • Options
    rogerhrogerh Posts: 282
    tyson said:

rogerh said:

Some predictions
    b) Returning UKIP vote.

Rogerh- if you think the Tories will win a majority make there is a whole load of cash for you to win. Help yourself comrade
    9-2 current odds.

• Options
    rogerh said:

tyson said:

rogerh said:

Some predictions
    b) Returning UKIP vote.

9-2 current odds.

Poor odds.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

The obvious gambit to me is either to increase the basic allowance, or reduce employee's national insurance. Yougov suggests either would be very popular.
    I'm not sure. That's been happening (the basic allowance increase) all throughout this parliament, without much effect on the Tory vote share.

Besides which, for both theatrical and tactical reasons, Osborne will want a "big bang" announcement to capture the media narrative, and put Labour on the back foot.

It's his style.
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,959
    Pulpstar said:

rogerh said:

tyson said:

rogerh said:

Some predictions
    b) Returning UKIP vote.

9-2 current odds.

Poor odds.
    Agreed. Though if you do think the Tories will do well then, as has been the case for a while, just backing individual seats is great value. Their top 20 target seats have loads of 8/1 or longer available.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

RobD said:

I agree, but "a tax cut for millionaires" is like the reduction from 50% to 45%, very bad politics 7 weeks before an election.

I don't think George is that stupid. I think he is lobbing a few red herrings about so that Ed gets the budget response all wrong.

More likely a tax cut on beer and whisky, and even petrol. Something that would wrongfoot Labour.
    A couple of questions I'm asking myself: who has leaked this proposal, and why?

It could be the old paper from the Autumn, which the Lib Dems have leaked. Or it could be the Tories leaking it for the reasons you cite.
  • Options
    compouter2compouter2 Posts: 2,371
    edited March 2015
    SWINGBACKTASTIC! Labour 2% in front.

Shares in Tramadol soar!

Basiliscious!
  • Options
    YouGov - Labour lead by two: CON 33%, LAB 35%, LD 7%, UKIP 13%, GRN 7%
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    Tick. Tock.
  • Options

Shares in Tramadol soar!

Basiliscious!

Labour leads more exciting because they are getting rarer?

Saying that, I do see a bit of reverse-swingback:

http://goo.gl/9RfFdf
  • Options

Shares in Tramadol soar!

Basiliscious!

Calm down, dear.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,946
    Sun Politics ‏@SunPolitics 28s28 seconds ago
    YouGov/Sun poll tonight - Labour lead by two: CON 33%, LAB 35%, LD 7%, UKIP 13%, GRN 7%

EICIPM. On a Monday too
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,259
    Anybody seen the latest May2015 tweet?

https://twitter.com/May2015NS/status/577595119085449216

It may not be entirely serious...
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    viewcode said:

twitter.com/May2015NS/status/577595119085449216

Pretty sure it's the twitter account which is not secure, as opposed to the website. ;)
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    edited March 2015

Tick. Tock.

After the GE I am certain that You Gov will conduct an enquiry as to why its polling is up and down like a tart's knickers.
    Be happy if this poll gives you comfort.. it is about as wrong as all those with the Tories in the lead.
  • Options
    Quincel said:

Pulpstar said:

rogerh said:

tyson said:

rogerh said:

Some predictions
    b) Returning UKIP vote.

9-2 current odds.

Poor odds.
    Agreed. Though if you do think the Tories will do well then, as has been the case for a while, just backing individual seats is great value. Their top 20 target seats have loads of 8/1 or longer available.
    Tories can lose North Warwickshire and get a majority ;)

• Options
    Bloody hell Lab at 35% with Green on 7% and UKIP on 13% :O
  • Options

YouGov - Labour lead by two: CON 33%, LAB 35%, LD 7%, UKIP 13%, GRN 7%

UKIP/Con at 46% looks low to Lab/Green/LD at 49%. Looks like a bit of sampling variation to me.

Still doesn't lead me to think anything other than the two main parties are at parity.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

I agree, LDs on 10% is plainly ludicrous...
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Tomorrow, at The Shooting Star, I will bore everybody on why I think we cannot rely on the polls this time round to give tangible clues how the GE will turn out. OGH is right on one thing , GE night is going to be full of surprises.

Are we PBers going to have a shindig that night, so we can cry on each others shoulders? And if so where?
  • Options

viewcode said:

LOL! You just made me spill my diet coke...:-)

• Options

viewcode said:

Prince Charles has been enjoying a hackathon again.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    MikeK said:

Tomorrow, at The Shooting Star, I will bore everybody on why I think we cannot rely on the polls this time round to give tangible clues how the GE will turn out. OGH is right on one thing , GE night is going to be full of surprises.

Are we PBers going to have a shindig that night, so we can cry on each others shoulders? And if so where?

Stonch's.

I'll be crying into my beer if Scottish Labour come back like a phoenix from the flames.
  • Options
    LAB 35% strategy intact in all 3 polls that matter today

LARGER is Angus R
  • Options
    compouter2compouter2 Posts: 2,371
    RobD said:

Shares in Tramadol soar!

Basiliscious!

Labour leads more exciting because they are getting rarer?

Saying that, I do see a bit of reverse-swingback:

http://goo.gl/9RfFdf
    Double criss-crossover with a double kitchen surge.
  • Options
    GrandioseGrandiose Posts: 2,323

Tick. Tock.

Rather like the Domesday Clock, Labour and the Tories both need for time. Indeed on present polling the Tories will be frustrated they can't knock Miliband for a majority, Labour that they can't beat "cuts for fun" Tories, the Lib Dems shellshocked, the Greens without a break-through and UKIP clutching a handful of seats but no chance of government. Only the SNP will be pleased, but they'll know the battle is still to come...
  • Options
    roserees64roserees64 Posts: 251
    Osborne faces a tough day on Wednesday.The economy has underperformed and government borrowing is still 90bn and not the 37bn predicted by Osborne.When factors are considered such as economic growth, Britain still has a higher structural budget deficit than any Eurozone country.George, the great pretender, would like you to believe that he can pull a cost free surprise on Wednesday but it will not be possible.He may raise the inheritance tax threshold to 1 million but this will please those that have enough already.It will not affect the cost of living for the average person.
  • Options
    I still think the Conservatives are ahead by 0.5% or so maybe.
  • Options
    edited March 2015

Osborne faces a tough day on Wednesday.The economy has underperformed and government borrowing is still 90bn and not the 37bn predicted by Osborne.When factors are considered such as economic growth, Britain still has a higher structural budget deficit than any Eurozone country..

He had failed on much of what he promised, for sure. I don't like that, but the opposition can't criticise the amount of borrowing as they would have borrowed about the same, so they can only say they would have spent better, which is harder to make stick given governments of any colour are pretty crappy when it comes to spending. One reason I foresee not so much of an impact from the budget - although we know there will be gimmicks, I think positive or negative effects from them will not be as great as sometimes has happened these past 5 years.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,092
    Swingforward
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

MikeK said:

Stonch's.

I'll be crying into my beer if Scottish Labour come back like a phoenix from the flames.
    I have a May 11th deadline (yes, really!) and will not be able to make it.

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

MikeK said:

Stonch's.

We should definitely get details of this fixed soonish, so we can start getting a rough feel for numbers. Personally am looking forward to it hugely, if it can go ahead.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Level on Mondays.

Looks like UNCROSSOVER to me
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820

It may well be a great film, I do not for a moment doubt that. But its plot - grouchy selfish carer, nurse, teacher, nanny, housekeeper, prospective son/daughter-in-law, weirdo in off the street; odd couples etc who finds, redeems him/herself and transforms everyone else's lives - is hardly original

Have you seen it? Don't be put off by a summary of the plot, it completely transcends that. It's a must-see IMO - and it's absolutely hilarious as well, which is astonishing given the subject-matter.
  • Options
    Anyone going tomorrow, can they check out what the internet provision is like in the Shooting Star is like please.

Yours truly will be editing PB on General Election night, and well, I'm going to need a decent internet connection.
  • Options
    hunchmanhunchman Posts: 2,591
    Cyril Smith cover up allegations on newsnight now. Slowly but surely this is lapping ever more closely to the royal family, the bbc and right to the top of Westminster. As it absolutely deserves to.
  • Options

Anyone going tomorrow, can they check out what the internet provision is like in the Shooting Star is like please.

Yours truly will be editing PB on General Election night, and well, I'm going to need a decent internet connection.

Yes a decent internet connection is a must !
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Yes a decent internet connection is a must !
    And the o2 and Three mobile coverage is like as well (Has to be 4G)
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Grandiose said:

Tick. Tock.

Rather like the Domesday Clock, Labour and the Tories both need for time. Indeed on present polling the Tories will be frustrated they can't knock Miliband for a majority, Labour that they can't beat "cuts for fun" Tories, the Lib Dems shellshocked, the Greens without a break-through and UKIP clutching a handful of seats but no chance of government. Only the SNP will be pleased, but they'll know the battle is still to come...
    Palmer only does it when there is a poll in Labour's favour..

If NPXMP is still there, did you max out on your generous food allowance before the expenses scandal hit or did you provide expenses receipts for every penny you spent?? Just asking ... tick tock...
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

MikeK said:

Stonch's.

I am sorely tempted, having booked Friday 8th off. Is it an all nighter? Or will accommodation be required?
  • Options

Grandiose said:

Tick. Tock.

If NPXMP is still there, did you max out on your generous food allowance before the expenses scandal hit or did you provide expenses receipts for every penny you spent?? Just asking ... tick tock...
    Why the bad mood?
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Level on Mondays.

Looks like UNCROSSOVER to me
    No, both sides here are putting patterns in stuff that doesn't exist. Four Labour leads, Four Tory leads in a row. I honestly think the Conservatives are an inch ahead though. But it is just an inch.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

MikeK said:

Stonch's.

I am sorely tempted, having booked Friday 8th off. Is it an all nighter? Or will accommodation be required?
    Well I'm sincerely hoping it'll be an all nighter. Not planning on booking accomodation.
  • Options
    The Monday/latter part of the week thing is us all seeing too many polls.

We are failing to see the wood for the trees, and the trees are more or less level. This GE is going to come to whether or not Labour can get the vote out.
  • Options
    edited March 2015

Grandiose said:

Tick. Tock.

Why the bad mood?
    because I don't like Nick Palmers politics. Its not bad mood is a question of someone who licked Brown's bootlaces all the way thro, denied anything was going on in the Brown administation whilst he MUST have known it wasn't true.. and this from someone who famously said he never posted anything that wasn't true on PB.

Oh and I haven't got past the smears he posted on here at 2010 GE

PB might be a new audience but I haven't forgotten.
  • Options
    I'd have thought Clegg or Clegg's people attacking an inevitable leadership candidate post May would be very good for that candidate. Even those who like and/or are closely aligned with Clegg's views and politics would wish to avoid being seen as the continuity candidate, as the party's fortunes demand a transformative leader (or one who can attempt to present themselves as such).

• Options

Osborne faces a tough day on Wednesday.The economy has underperformed and government borrowing is still 90bn and not the 37bn predicted by Osborne.When factors are considered such as economic growth, Britain still has a higher structural budget deficit than any Eurozone country.George, the great pretender, would like you to believe that he can pull a cost free surprise on Wednesday but it will not be possible.He may raise the inheritance tax threshold to 1 million but this will please those that have enough already.It will not affect the cost of living for the average person.

How dare he not clear the mess left to him quickly enough. A disgrace. An outrage.

What was it the PM said about Miliband:
    "arsonist who goes around setting fire after fire then complains that the fire brigade aren't putting the fires out fast enough"
  • Options
    kle4 said:

I'd have thought Clegg or Clegg's people attacking an inevitable leadership candidate post May would be very good for that candidate. Even those who like and/or are closely aligned with Clegg's views and politics would wish to avoid being seen as the continuity candidate, as the party's fortunes demand a transformative leader (or one who can attempt to present themselves as such).

Farron is going to romp home.
  • Options
    dugarbandierdugarbandier Posts: 2,596
    hunchman said:

Cyril Smith cover up allegations on newsnight now. Slowly but surely this is lapping ever more closely to the royal family, the bbc and right to the top of Westminster. As it absolutely deserves to.

So far David Icke is right about everything bar the lizards?
  • Options

Grandiose said:

Tick. Tock.

Why the bad mood?
    because I don't like Nick Palmers politics. Its not bad mood is a question of someone who licked Brown's bootlaces all the way thro, denied anything was going on in the Brown administation whilst he MUST have known it wasn't true.. and this from someone who famously said he never posted anything that wasn't true on PB.

Oh right glad your not in a bad mood
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

We are failing to see the wood for the trees, and the trees are more or less level. This GE is going to come to whether or not Labour can get the vote out.

Other things:
    1) How much of an impact will individual registration have?
    2) How much of an impact will the unredistributed boundaries have?

• Options

Grandiose said:

Tick. Tock.

Why the bad mood?

Oh right glad your not in a bad mood
    I.m not, I am listening to one of the greatest tenors I have ever heard. Andrea Bocelli.. an absolute master.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

The other factor in England will be how the LDs break for the other parties. Leeds NW is an interesting one. Apparently one of the highest student votes, so surely going to be a big drop, but to whom? And have the Tories finally chosen a candidate?
  • Options
    notme said:

What was it the PM said about Miliband:
    "arsonist who goes around setting fire after fire then complains that the fire brigade aren't putting the fires out fast enough"
    I recall Mitch McConnell's opponent in Kentucky used the same type of line, must be part of the political lexicon I guess.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Pulpstar said:

Other things:

I think individual registration will impact LAB adversely most due to its disproportionate age distribution.

Tis a serious threat to EICIPM
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    The pub tmrw night isn't the same one as election night is it?
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    viewcode said:

Pulpstar said:

Other things:

1) Not that much imo - might make a bit of difference in big University seats but I reckon the ones not registered wouldn't have voted previously. Could hurt the Greens the most as they are strong in 18-24 age group.

2) Well they help Labour, but Labour have lost ~ 1 - 1.5% of the vote and 4-7% of the seats in Scotland so that balances the skew back to more or less zero. Tory 1st time incumbency helps a bit too. Predicting seats on vote share is REALLY hard this time round - particularly in England (No 84% Yes correlation to go off here) (Scotland is actually easier !)
  • Options
    isam said:

Indeed. Thought the election night one was more South-West London, or West.
  • Options
    isam said:

I believe that's right - the election-night gig is in Earl's Court, IIRC.
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664

Tick. Tock.

Mmmm, complacent fatalism always gets my vote.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    isam said:

From TSEs comment it seems like it is. Are you going tomorrow? Hope you have a good 'un!!

Edit- I defer to the Nabavi down thread!
  • Options
    RobD said:

isam said:

From TSEs comment it seems like it is. Are you going tomorrow? Hope you have a good 'un!!

Edit- I defer to the Nabavi down thread!
    Plans may have changed, of course.
  • Options
    hunchmanhunchman Posts: 2,591

hunchman said:

So far David Icke is right about everything bar the lizards?
    Go through all of the alternative media on this like I did for a fortnight and come to your own conclusions. The msm with d notices and the like are effectively not a free press any longer sadly.
This discussion has been closed.