Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The big GE15 gamble is trying to work out what all the poll

SystemSystem Posts: 11,693
edited March 2015 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The big GE15 gamble is trying to work out what all the polling means in terms of seats

politicalbetting.com is proudly powered by WordPress
with "Neat!" theme. Entries (RSS) and Comments (RSS).

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    FPT:

Although the Tories remain strong favourites to get most seats this time, the Tories should be terrified by the 19% lead Labour have on the "likeability" ratings. Just imagine what it could be like next time if Labour actually get a likeable, relateable, human leader (though admittedly that isn't a shoo-in taking into account Yvette Cooper and Chuka Umunna are among the "contenders" for the position).
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,942
    All the forecasts agree on Lib Dem seats being 23-27 though actually.
  • Options
    I remember a couple of years ago when I suggested on here that the Lib Dems would get about 10% in the election, people scoffed at it. Now it's looking like that might've been too optimistic.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

I remember a couple of years ago when I suggested on here that the Lib Dems would get about 10% in the election, people scoffed at it. Now it's looking like that might've been too optimistic.

8% with ICM looks like a real nail in the coffin.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    Hull City have been told they can make a fresh bid to change their name to Hull Tigers next season.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/31913338

After that we will be getting the Labour Lions if Assem Allam has his way.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,218
    Danny565 said:

FPT:

Although the Tories remain strong favourites to get most seats this time, the Tories should be terrified by the 19% lead Labour have on the "likeability" ratings. Just imagine what it could be like next time if Labour actually get a likeable, relateable, human leader (though admittedly that isn't a shoo-in taking into account Yvette Cooper and Chuka Umunna are among the "contenders" for the position).

If Labour had a really good leader, they'd be walking this election.

Funnily enough I don't dislike Ed M as much as others seem to. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt in terms of personal likeability though I think he is pretty ruthless when needed.

I just don't see him as a leader and don't think he has done any real thinking about what is needed for a left of centre/social democratic party to thrive in the age we live in and for the future.

I quite liked Neil Kinnock and thought he was brave in taking on Militant but he led a party which was unelectable at that time.

Blair - whom everyone went dewy-eyed over at the start - I never liked. He was always too glib, too much the barrister able to give whatever performance his client needed from him at the time and, frankly, too much of a narcissistic weasel. You could see him acting his part. There was something fundamentally untrustworthy about him from the start, not least because he faked sincerity and trustworthiness so well.

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

Danny565 said:

It can't be considered an outlier either.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

FPT:

Yvette Cooper has all the personality of a dishcloth. Ummuna is full of self-regard but empty. Who the hell else is there?

• Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,892

FPT. OT Any poster interested in maths autism China or who went to Trinity college Cambridge a new English film X+Y might interest them. In many ways it did what 'Theory of Everything' didn't do and made all of the above interesting

Added. Perhaps the zeitgeist is moving towards the socially inadequate geek? It wouldn't be the first time life had imitated art
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Pulpstar said:

All the forecasts agree on Lib Dem seats being 23-27 though actually.

The one that counts doesn't. :smile:

• Options
    edited March 2015
    Cyclefree said:

Danny565 said:

FPT:

Yvette Cooper has all the personality of a dishcloth. Ummuna is full of self-regard but empty. Who the hell else is there?

Yvette Cooper is massively overrated. Hammond used to wipe the floor with her when he was her shadow, and I don't think anybody would say Hammond is exactly a ruthless destroyer of souls. Also, lets not forget the likes of HIPS were her brain child, an absolutely stinker of a policy.

My partner recently met Chuka and said he did human well. She was pretty impressed by how he conducted himself, but hey he is a politician, isn't that what they are supposed to be able to do? We have just become accustomed to ones that are weird or detached from reality.
  • Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915

Easterross • Posts: 1,776

7:10PM

Before people get carried away with some journalists and so called experts desperate wish for a Labour victory at any cost, as regulars say the trend is your friend.

Over the past 9 months
    ICM has gone from Labour leads of 7 to Tory leads of 1 and 4
    Populus has gone from Labour leads of 6 and 7 to between Labour leads of 2 and tied
    Survation with the exception of January's Tory lead maintains Labour 4 to 6 ahead
    ComRes has gone from Labour leads of 6 and 7 to between Labour leads of 2 and Tory leads of 2
    Opinium has gone from Labour leads of 6 to between Labour leads of 2 and Tory leads of 2
    YouGov has gone from Labour leads of 5 and 6 to Tory leads of between 1 and 4 in 6 out of the last 10 polls with 2 tied and 2 Labour leads
    Ashcroft has gone from Labour leads of 6 and 9 to Tory leads of 2 to 4
    IpsosMori has edged down from Labour leads of 3 to 1 with a couple of 3 point Tory leads at the end of last year.
    TNS remains stuck on Labour leads of 7

The Ashcroft marginal polls which in some cases are now 9 months old showed Labour taking its 1st 19 Tory targets and in 10 of them with a notional lead of less than 10%

He then showed then taking the next 7 with notional leads in 5 of them of under 10%

He showed them taking more than another 13 and among that 13 were more Tory holds than losses.

So Ashcroft showed Labour winning no more than 40 seats before hitting the Tory firewall of holds. Those 40 seats are not consecutive because there are 13 Tory holds, starting with Pudsey at No 22.

So at best Labour MIGHT on a good night win as many seats from the Tories as it is expected to lose to the SNP. Given that half those potential 40 Labour gains were showing leads of under 10%, the chances are that Labour must realistically be looking at a net loss of seats, depending on how many it can win from the Liberals.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753

People like the idea of Labour.

Actually voting for Ed Miliband???

That's a different matter.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Cyclefree said:

Not necessarily. A really good leader, or even a half-way decent one, would put off a large chunk of the current Labour support. Ed M has been true to his word and kept his paper almost completely blank, a few puerile doodlings aside. Anyone who looked capable of being a potential Prime Minister would have to be a lot more serious, and that would mean making some decisions.

It might get him just across the threshold of No 10, but if so that's when the trouble will begin. You can't avoid decisions if you're Prime Minister.
  • Options
    Cyclefree

"Yvette Cooper has all the personality of a dishcloth."

You are Nigel Farage and I claim £5
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Danny565 said:

FPT:

Yvette Cooper is massively overrated. Hammond used to wipe the floor with her when he was her shadow, and I don't think anybody would say Hammond is exactly a ruthless destroyer of souls. Also, lets not forget the likes of HIPS were her brain child, an absolutely stinker of a policy.

My partner recently met Chuka and said he did human well. She was pretty impressed by how he conducted himself, but hey he is a politician, isn't that what they are supposed to be able to do? We have just become accustomed to ones that are weird or detached from reality.
    Most City lawyers (his experience) are able to do human well. Otherwise they'd never be put in front of clients. It means zilch.

It takes a while to realise that while they are shiny and polished and well-behaved and educated to within an inch of their lives they have not an original or interesting thought in their heads, lack any real courage - moral or otherwise - and are proceeding smoothly along the track lines of their received life.

This is usually enough for a successful life.

But it does not necessarily make a leader, let alone a successful one. A good leader is not made by management theory.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Danny565 said:

FPT:

Andy Burnham is pretty much the only one. Not perfect, but he atleast sounds like a humanbeing.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Pulpstar said:

Danny565 said:

Evening all..!

Is that because ICM is normally more favorable to the LDs? - I've lost track with all these single figure polling.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Cyclefree

"Yvette Cooper has all the personality of a dishcloth."

You are Nigel Farage and I claim £5

Sorry: you lose. I am about as far away from UKIP-land as it is possible to be.

BTW I saw a French film "The Untouchables" last night which was hugely enjoyable if full of schmalz. But done with such verve and brio and with some touching central performances. I realise it's a couple of years old but if you haven't seen it, do make the effort.

• Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    Roger said:

FPT. OT Any poster interested in maths autism China or who went to Trinity college Cambridge a new English film X+Y might interest them. In many ways it did what 'Theory of Everything' didn't do and made all of the above interesting

Added. Perhaps the zeitgeist is moving towards the socially inadequate geek? It wouldn't be the first time life had imitated art

Does the lead in the film endlessly count out the number of kitchens in his house?
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Danny565 said:

FPT:

Most City lawyers (his experience) are able to do human well. Otherwise they'd never be put in front of clients. It means zilch.

It takes a while to realise that while they are shiny and polished and well-behaved and educated to within an inch of their lives they have not an original or interesting thought in their heads, lack any real courage - moral or otherwise - and are proceeding smoothly along the track lines of their received life.

But it does not necessarily make a leader, let alone a successful one. A good leader is not made by management theory.
    I agree with you on Chuka. I could see him being popular for about two or three months because of how handsome he is and that on the surface he has a superficial charisma, but I think people would go off him very quickly. Imo, a leader today (especially a Labour leader) needs to be down-to-earth and make people feel they're actually like them in some sense, and a manicured slick lawyer is not going to do that.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Danny565 said:

FPT:

Look past that vaneer of respectability and you come across a man who supposedly described the people of London as trash. How he conducts himself in public and how he conducts himself in private are obviously two very different things.
  • Options
    Warwickshire North Con: 1 11% LAB GAIN
    Thurrock Con: 2 6% UKIP GAIN
    Hendon Con: 3 15% LAB GAIN
    Cardiff North Con: 4 11% LAB GAIN
    Sherwood Con: 5 9% LAB GAIN
    Norwich South LD: 1 13% LAB GAIN
    Stockton South Con: 6 3% LAB GAIN
    Broxtowe Con: 7 9% LAB GAIN
    Lancaster & Fleetwood Con: 8 14% LAB GAIN
    Bradford East LD: 2 22% LAB GAIN
    Amber Valley Con: 9 4% LAB GAIN
    Waveney Con: 10 9% LAB GAIN
    Wolverhampton South West Con: 11 16% LAB GAIN
    Morecambe & Lunesdale Con: 12 3% LAB GAIN
    Carlisle Con: 13 11% LAB GAIN
    Stroud Con: 14 11% LAB GAIN
    Weaver Vale Con: 15 9% LAB GAIN
    Lincoln Con: 16 4% LAB GAIN
    Brighton Pavilion Green: 1 10% GREEN HOLD
    Plymouth Sutton & Devonport Con: 17 13% LAB GAIN
    Dewsbury Con: 18 10% LAB GAIN
    Warrington South Con: 19 8% LAB GAIN
    Brent Central LD: 3 35% LAB GAIN
    Bedford Con: 20 10% LAB GAIN
    Brighton Kemptown Con: 21 4% LAB GAIN
    Pudsey Con: 22 0% TIE
    Corby* Con: 23 10% LAB HOLD
    Brentford & Isleworth Con: 24 13% LAB GAIN
    Hove Con: 25 3% LAB GAIN
    Enfield North Con: 26 10% LAB GAIN
    Hastings & Rye Con: 27 9% LAB GAIN
    Manchester Withington LD: 4 34% LAB GAIN
    Burnley LD: 5 13% LAB GAIN
    Ipswich Con: 28 7% LAB GAIN
    Dundee East SNP: 1
    Dunbartonshire East LD: 6
    Halesowen & Rowley Regis Con: 29 1% LAB GAIN
    Nuneaton Con: 30 3% LAB GAIN
    Gloucester Con: 31 1% CON HOLD
    Northampton North Con: 32 4% LAB GAIN
    Bury North Con: 33 9% LAB GAIN
    Kingswood Con: 34 2% CON HOLD
    Erewash Con: 35 8% LAB GAIN
    Blackpool North & Cleveleys Con: 36 3% CON HOLD
    City of Chester Con: 37 1% LAB GAIN
    Arfon PC: 1
    Croydon Central Con: 38 6% LAB GAIN
    Worcester Con: 39 2% LAB GAIN
    Keighley Con: 40 6% LAB GAIN
    Wirral West Con: 41 1% LAB GAIN
    Cannock Chase Con: 42 2% LAB GAIN
    Loughborough Con: 43 3% CON HOLD
    Harrow East Con: 44 3% CON HOLD
    Warwick & Leamington Con: 45 4% CON HOLD
    Birmingham Yardley LD: 7 3% LIB HOLD
    Swindon South Con: 46 0% TIE
    Ealing Central & Acton Con: 47 6% LAB GAIN
    Pendle Con: 48 3% CON HOLD
    Stevenage Con: 49 5% LAB GAIN
    Elmet & Rothwell Con: 50 4% CON HOLD
  • Options
    Edinburgh West LD: 8
    Carmarthen West & Pembrokeshire South Con: 51 4% CON HOLD
    Vale of Glamorgan Con: 52 6% CON HOLD
    Argyll & Bute LD: 9
    Dumfriesshire, Clydesdale & Tweeddale Con: 53 0% TIE
    Carmarthen East & Dinefwr PC: 2
    Norwich North Con: 54 1% LAB GAIN
    High Peak Con: 55 1% LAB GAIN
    Milton Keynes South Con: 56
    Rossendale & Darwen Con: 57
    Cleethorpes Con: 58
    Somerset North East Con: 59
    Great Yarmouth Con: 60 2% CON HOLD
    Dudley South Con: 61
    Dover Con: 62
    Colne Valley Con: 63 1% CON HOLD
    South Ribble Con: 64
    Peterborough Con: 65
    Stafford Con: 66
    Stourbridge Con: 67
    Harlow Con: 68
    Watford Con: 69 2% CON HOLD
    Aberconwy Con: 70
    Ilford North Con: 71
    Preseli Pembrokeshire Con: 72
    Brigg & Goole Con: 73
    Crewe & Nantwich Con: 74
    Bristol North West Con: 75
    Battersea Con: 76
    Finchley & Golders Green Con: 77
    Calder Valley Con: 78
    Redcar LD: 10 21% LAB GAIN
    Crawley Con: 79
    Hornsey & Wood Green LD: 11 13% LAB GAIN
    Reading West Con: 80
    Rugby Con: 81
    Burton Con: 82
    Cardiff Central LD: 12 12% LAB GAIN
    Na h-Eileanan an Iar SNP: 2
    Basildon South & Thurrock East Con: 83 6% CON HOLD
    Tamworth Con: 84
    Redditch Con: 85
    Chatham & Aylesford Con: 86
    Swindon North Con: 87
    Derbyshire South Con: 88
    Filton & Bradley Stoke Con: 89
    Leicestershire North West Con: 90
    Dorset South Con: 91
    Cambridge LD: 13 1% LAB GAIN
    Staffordshire Moorlands Con: 92
    Northampton South Con: 93
    Gordon LD: 14 17% SNP GAIN
    Scarborough & Whitby Con: 94
    Portsmouth North Con: 95
    Thanet South Con: 96 1% CON HOLD
    Milton Keynes North Con: 97
    Caithness, Sutherland & Easter Ross LD: 15
    Clwyd West Con: 98
    Reading East Con: 99
    Enfield Southgate Con: 100
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Not necessarily. A really good leader, or even a half-way decent one, would put off a large chunk of the current Labour support. Ed M has been true to his word and kept his paper almost completely blank, a few puerile doodlings aside. Anyone who looked capable of being a potential Prime Minister would have to be a lot more serious, and that would mean making some decisions.

It might get him just across the threshold of No 10, but if so that's when the trouble will begin. You can't avoid decisions if you're Prime Minister.
    Well I suppose my definition of a good leader is someone who is able to hold onto existing support while reaching out to new voters or ex-voters who have turned away.

I'm not sure that it's correct that he has not made decisions. He may have made the wrong ones but he has made some: income tax up, mansion tax, taxes on pensions, taxes on bankers' bonuses, no EU referendum, repeal of the NHS reorganisation, no bedroom tax, university tuition fees down, caps/freezes on energy prices, no more free schools and more LA control over existing ones, a clampdown on tax avoidance and corporation tax up.

That's not an entirely blank piece of paper.

• Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293
    Anecdote alert:
    Canvassing a con lab marginal today, which cons won on less than a thousand in 2010. Knocking in a ward that has delivered labour councillors without fail for 20 years, i'm a bit shocked by how many switchers to cons we come across. Without prompting one life long labour voter was berating Miliband and Balls. She then said very quietly, "i quite like david cameron". Another response later on was 'undecided', digging a bit deeper, she told me she had always voted Labour, but everything seemed to be going good at the moment.
  • Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012

Cyclefree said:

Plus Labour's leadership is drawn from those who ruined the country previously. And the problem for the conservatives is the attacks on them over the EU from UKIP, not attacks from Labour. Labour are even more EU and immigration friendly so can hardly outflank the tories there.

Looking at the last batch of polls the Tory vote has not moved much so maybe its figure is reliable. Labour has moved a bit in a couple and the Greens dipped. So maybe both Labour and the LDs are getting a bit back from the Greens and Labour a bit from the SNP (???)
    The LDs have being doing their best to look united and positive at their conference as well so that might help them.
  • Options
    Paul_Mid_BedsPaul_Mid_Beds Posts: 1,409
    FPT
    Danny565 said:

I have it on good authority that elements of the Blue Rinse vote in Yeovil who have vowed never to vote Conservative again over Dave's social liberalism and gay marriage wheeze have decided to vote for David Laws as a personal vote on the grounds that all the parties are rotten to the core but he personally is a good egg which mean they will be voting Liberal for the first time ever.

One to give some crumbs of comfort to OGH.

Tory voters are going to protest against gay marriage by....voting for a gay candidate?
    Yes, just because people disagree with gay marriage dosen't mean that they despise and hate gay people. I know the left think otherwise, but most people do treat other people as individuals and judge them on their whole character not just one part of it.

The tories will learn at this election that a good chunk of voters voted for them up until 2010 because they saw them as the only hope for defending Judeo - Christian values against secularists and social-secularists. Thats gone now. Personally I would have prefered to see such people vote UKIP instead but such people tend to regard them as a bit boorish when compared with a constituency MP with a very good local record.
  • Options

Before people get carried away with some journalists and so called experts desperate wish for a Labour victory at any cost, as regulars say the trend is your friend.

Over the past 9 months
    Populus has gone from Labour leads of 6 and 7 to between Labour leads of 2 and tied
    Survation with the exception of January's Tory lead maintains Labour 4 to 6 ahead
    ComRes has gone from Labour leads of 6 and 7 to between Labour leads of 2 and Tory leads of 2
    Opinium has gone from Labour leads of 6 to between Labour leads of 2 and Tory leads of 2
    YouGov has gone from Labour leads of 5 and 6 to Tory leads of between 1 and 4 in 6 out of the last 10 polls with 2 tied and 2 Labour leads
    IpsosMori has edged down from Labour leads of 3 to 1 with a couple of 3 point Tory leads at the end of last year.

The Ashcroft marginal polls which in some cases are now 9 months old showed Labour taking its 1st 19 Tory targets and in 10 of them with a notional lead of less than 10%

He then showed then taking the next 7 with notional leads in 5 of them of under 10%

He showed them taking more than another 13 and among that 13 were more Tory holds than losses.

So Ashcroft showed Labour winning no more than 40 seats before hitting the Tory firewall of holds. Those 40 seats are not consecutive because there are 13 Tory holds, starting with Pudsey at No 22.

So at best Labour MIGHT on a good night win as many seats from the Tories as it is expected to lose to the SNP. Given that half those potential 40 Labour gains were showing leads of under 10%, the chances are that Labour must realistically be looking at a net loss of seats, depending on how many it can win from the Liberals.

The Times claims Labour in the Midlands are worried.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Danny565 said:

Evening all..!

Is that because ICM is normally more favorable to the LDs? - I've lost track with all these single figure polling.
    LibDems got 15% in October and 14% in December, 11% in January, 10% in February and now 8%
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Danny565 said:

Evening all..!

Indeed it is.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Well I suppose my definition of a good leader is someone who is able to hold onto existing support while reaching out to new voters or ex-voters who have turned away.

I'm not sure that it's correct that he has not made decisions. He may have made the wrong ones but he has made some: income tax up, mansion tax, taxes on pensions, taxes on bankers' bonuses, no EU referendum, repeal of the NHS reorganisation, no bedroom tax, university tuition fees down, caps/freezes on energy prices, no more free schools and more LA control over existing ones, a clampdown on tax avoidance and corporation tax up.

True, it's not entirely blank, it's an uncritical collection of what a focus group of his core vote would come out with. I'm not sure that counts as 'decisions', though.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Cyclefree

"BTW I saw a French film "The Untouchables" last night which was hugely enjoyable if full of schmalz. But done with such verve and brio and with some touching central performances. I realise it's a couple of years old but if you haven't seen it, do make the effort."

Was it was 'the Intouchables' a French film? If so it was made by my French producer and I loved it. We've worked together many times. What's more it made over $200,000,000 so he stopped being my producer and concentrated on movies! From every point of view an excellent effort which sold worldwide.

• Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,101
    edited March 2015
    Cyclefree said:

Danny565 said:

FPT:

Funnily enough I don't dislike Ed M as much as others seem to. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt in terms of personal likeability though I think he is pretty ruthless when needed.

I just don't see him as a leader and don't think he has done any real thinking about what is needed for a left of centre/social democratic party to thrive in the age we live in and for the future.

I quite liked Neil Kinnock and thought he was brave in taking on Militant but he led a party which was unelectable at that time.

Blair - whom everyone went dewy-eyed over at the start - I never liked. He was always too glib, too much the barrister able to give whatever performance his client needed from him at the time and, frankly, too much of a narcissistic weasel. You could see him acting his part. There was something fundamentally untrustworthy about him from the start, not least because he faked sincerity and trustworthiness so well.

The thing I liked about EdM was his ruthlessness and his willingness to 'give it a go' in challenging his brother.

What is disappointing about him is that he lacks both empathy to anyone outside his privileged background AND ability to do intellectual thinking.

Now there's no shortage of 'real world' people who understand 'everyday life' and can see where the problems lie but are unable to turn their feelings and experiences into coherent ideas and policies.

Likewise there's no shortage of 'intellectual' people who are able to work out ideas and policies in theory but don't know how to apply them in the 'real world'.

But EdM seems to have the negative features of both type without either of the positives.
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    edited March 2015
    Labour NEC selection panel has apparently left out Karie Murphy from Halifax shortlist
    http://blogs.channel4.com/michael-crick-on-politics/labour-blocks-mccluskey-friend-karie-murphy-selection/4833

The 6 women reported as long listed are
    Holly Walker-Lynch (who works for Linda McAven MEP), Jo Coles (runner up in York Central selection 2 weeks ago, works for Ed Balls, shortlisted for Halifax pre 2005), Dot Foster (Calderdale Cllr), Susan Hinchcliffe (Bradford Cllr), Naveeda Ikram (Bradford Cllr) and Jenny Lynn (Calderdale Cllr)
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    edited March 2015
    taffys said:

People like the idea of Labour.

Actually voting for Ed Miliband???

That's a different matter.

People like the idea of something for nothing. In the past all parties have tried to bribe electors with lower taxation and higher spending.

With such a big deficit (and massive debt) it is not credible any more for politicians to say they are going to spend more and tax less. Instead politicians are making promises to the elctorate about schemes paid for indirectly via companies.

Hence Labour plan to cut the prices that energy companies can charge and introduce additional taxes on bank bonuses.

The coalition has introduced more time off for parents at the expense of companies and a deposit levy on banks.

Expect more political bribes from political parties which impose burdens on companies to benefit electors.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Cyclefree

"BTW I saw a French film "The Untouchables" last night which was hugely enjoyable if full of schmalz. But done with such verve and brio and with some touching central performances. I realise it's a couple of years old but if you haven't seen it, do make the effort."

Was it was 'the Intouchables' a French film? If so it was made by my French producer and I loved it. We've worked together many times. What's more it made over $200,000,000 so he stopped being my producer and concentrated on movies! From every point of view an excellent effort which sold worldwide.

It's a superb film
  • Options

Hull City have been told they can make a fresh bid to change their name to Hull Tigers next season.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/31913338

After that we will be getting the Labour Lions if Assem Allam has his way.

At the minute they are paper tigers. Labour are somewhat like Clarence the cross-eyed lion. Assem Allam has been promising Labour money conditional on Mcluskey's friend not being selected as a candidate. Miliband must be fed up of all his secret meeting with Allam being leaked.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

True, it's not entirely blank, it's an uncritical collection of what a focus group of his core vote would come out with. I'm not sure that counts as 'decisions', though.
    Well, the central decision behind it is that the credit crisis has exposed the hollowness of capitalism, that people are fed up with the rich and bad big businesses and banks who have been exposed as incompetent and venal and that it is time (a) for the state to intervene actively; and (b) for matters to be tilted towards ordinary people. From that all these policies follow.

He is - I imagine - gambling that a lot of people who are not Labour core vote share some of those assumptions. He's not entirely wrong on that: even Mr Brooke describes banks as incompetent and venal. I have said similar.

And given that even with the polls as they are he is in with a pretty good chance of becoming PM, he may well be successful.

I agree that what happens then will be interesting.

• Options

Labour NEC selection panel has apparently left out Karie Murphy from Halifax shortlist
    http://blogs.channel4.com/michael-crick-on-politics/labour-blocks-mccluskey-friend-karie-murphy-selection/4833

The 6 women reported as long listed are
    Holly Walker-Lynch (who works for Linda McAven MEP), Jo Coles (runner up in York Central selection 2 weeks ago, works for Ed Balls, shortlisted for Halifax pre 2005), Dot Foster (Calderdale Cllr), Susan Hinchcliffe (Bradford Cllr), Naveeda Ikram (Bradford Cllr) and Jenny Lynn (Calderdale Cllr)

I am sure Assem Allam will make up the shortfall.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2995583/Blair-seals-1million-donation-Labour-curb-influence-unions-stop-Miliband-lurching-left.html

With any luck len mccluskey will set up another party.
  • Options
    Likeability is easy but it means that difficult unpopular decisions are not addressed or made and the electorate know that you cannot always be liked when managing a complex economy and competence to make the right decisions no matter how unpopular will trump likeability
  • Options
    Roger said:

Cyclefree

Yes - that's the one. I caught it just after it started by accident and was hooked. My son and I were gripped. A wonderful film.

There have been some other good French films recently. L'Amour, for instance.

• Options
    edited March 2015
    RN

"It's a superb film"

It really was. If it had been American it really would have been schmalzy but they got the tone just right. Nothing was laid on with a shovel and as Cyclefree says two brilliant central performances
  • Options

Over the past 9 months

Its the Midlands where the election will be won or lost
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,758
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Well, the central decision behind it is that the credit crisis has exposed the hollowness of capitalism, that people are fed up with the rich and bad big businesses and banks who have been exposed as incompetent and venal and that it is time (a) for the state to intervene actively; and (b) for matters to be tilted towards ordinary people. From that all these policies follow.

He is - I imagine - gambling that a lot of people who are not Labour core vote share some of those assumptions. He's not entirely wrong on that: even Mr Brooke describes banks as incompetent and venal. I have said similar.

And given that even with the polls as they are he is in with a pretty good chance of becoming PM, he may well be successful.

even Mr Brooke describes banks as incompetent and venal.

that's on a good day, you should try me on a bad one. :-)

but you make a good point Miliband has understood people have had enough of current style corporatism. Sadly Cameron "detoxed" on touchy feely things which are fine for when we're fat dumb and happy, but have lttle popular support when times are hard.
  • Options
    Cyclefree

L'Amour was a masterpiece. Really. If you can say it of any film you can say it of that one
  • Options

Over the past 9 months

What is worrying them?
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341

I did something similar last week;

Labour leads last July

Stockton South - Lab +3
    Amber Valley - Lab +4
    Morecambe and Lunesdale + 3

If those constituency polls have moved like the nationals the Tories must be close. Survation had the Tories in the lead in Stockton around November.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    MP_SE said:

What is worrying them?

They don't think they are going to win
  • Options
    woody662woody662 Posts: 255
    If I remember correctly, the Lib Dem poll ratings in 2010 which led to the spreads putting them at 80-90 seats was based on a young demographic which in the end failed to show up for polling day. Now the Lib Dems do not attract this vote, can we presume it has gone Labour/Green. I wonder how soft this is and whether Labour's vote will not live up to its poll rating.

Canvassing anecdote alert, found our strongest section of Labour vote at the weekend, all public sector professionals. The WWC seem to be melting away from Labour though.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,877
    Evening all :)

My view for what little it's worth is both the Conservatives and Labour will pile up votes and majorities precisely where they don't need them.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,952
    edited March 2015
    Danny565 said:

Cyclefree said:

Danny565 said:

FPT:

Andy Burnham is pretty much the only one. Not perfect, but he atleast sounds like a humanbeing.
    Jon Cruddas seems a more authentic voice of Labour than any of the front bench
  • Options
    woody662 said:

If I remember correctly, the Lib Dem poll ratings in 2010 which led to the spreads putting them at 80-90 seats was based on a young demographic which in the end failed to show up for polling day. Now the Lib Dems do not attract this vote, can we presume it has gone Labour/Green. I wonder how soft this is and whether Labour's vote will not live up to its poll rating.

Canvassing anecdote alert, found our strongest section of Labour vote at the weekend, all public sector professionals. The WWC seem to be melting away from Labour though.

May I ask which party you were canvassing for and in which constituency.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    edited March 2015
    Rottenborough,
    'The rule of thumb is that Tory governments gain (and Lab opposition lose) a handful of percentage points in the final part of campaign (according to Peter Kelner). So neck-and-neck would seem a fairly good place for Tories to be in during March'

Peter Kellner did say that , but beyond 1992 and 1997 it is not true. The Tory vote fell quite a bit to the Alliance in the 1983 campaign, and the campaigns of 1959, 1964, February 1974 and 1987 saw the Tories do less well on polling day than implied by the polls a month or so earlier.
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    edited March 2015
    @cyclefree
    I do hope this phrase isn't copyright :

"---too much the barrister able to give whatever performance his client needed from him at the time and, frankly, too much of a narcissistic weasel."
  • Options
    woody662woody662 Posts: 255

woody662 said:

woody662 said:

Conservatives, Midlands marginal down the list.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    edited March 2015

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

I'm not

but you make a good point Miliband has understood people have had enough of current style corporatism. Sadly Cameron "detoxed" on touchy feely things which are fine for when we're fat dumb and happy, but have lttle popular support when times are hard.
    I think Miliband understands the problem, but the go-to solution is always some piece of counterproductive central government intervention.

His critique is good in an academic way; its his solutions that get delivered by owls from fairyland. He is in some ways a lot like his dad. Might have been a reasonable head of a University department.
  • Options
    edited March 2015

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Not necessarily. t would mean making some decisions.

I'm not

Well, the central decision behind it is that the credit crisis has exposed the hollowness of c: even Mr Brooke describes banks as incompetent and venal. I have said similar.

I think Miliband understands the problem, but the go-to solution is always some piece of counterproductive central government intervention.

His critique is good in an academic way; its his solutions that get delivered by owls from fairyland. He is in some ways a lot like his dad. Might have been a reasonable head of a University department.
    Yes I'd agree with that, he believes there is no problem which can't be solved by government fiat.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,361
    FPT
    MikeL said:

ELBOWing Populus and Ashcroft = Tories already 0.7% ahead

Did you do your graphs for last week?

I saw the final ELBOW but not the usual graphs - which are always excellent!
    Thanks! They were in the evening and overnight threads yesterday. Will post again later
  • Options

Roger said:

Cyclefree

It's a superb film
    It may well be a great film, I do not for a moment doubt that. But its plot - grouchy selfish carer, nurse, teacher, nanny, housekeeper, prospective son/daughter-in-law, weirdo in off the street; odd couples etc who finds, redeems him/herself and transforms everyone else's lives - is hardly original.
    But again thats not the point. A great film is not just its plot, its more than the sum of its parts. They had 3 goes at The Maltese Falcon before getting it right. The direct of this last effort had a big say in its success so maybe Nakache and (?) Toledano will go on to further great things.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Miliband is hostile to private sector corporatism but strongly supportive of public sector corporatism.

Cameron is moderately supportive of both.

Why Cameron is so tolerated of public sector fatcats baffles me, perhaps because a public sector fatcat doesn't look so fat to someone of Cameron's background.
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,882
    Telegraph Politics ‏@TelePolitics 3m3 minutes ago
    David Cameron: I want to stay on as an MP if I lose the General Election

"“It’s the country’s choice. If they hoof me out and go for the other guy, I’ll have to think of something else, but I hope I’ll still be a Member of Parliament. I love serving my constituents. I love politics. I love public service. It’s what I care about. It’s a vocation."

I can't imagine Cameron on the backbenches.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Cyclefree

L'Amour was a masterpiece. Really. If you can say it of any film you can say it of that one

Roger: if we ever meet up I think we could have a really good chat about good films.
    Toms said:

@cyclefree
    I do hope this phrase isn't copyright :

"---too much the barrister able to give whatever performance his client needed from him at the time and, frankly, too much of a narcissistic weasel."

It's been a fairly routine description of TB in the Cyclefree household for years. That's when we're being polite.

• Options

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Miliband is hostile to private sector corporatism but strongly supportive of public sector corporatism.

Why Cameron is so tolerated of public sector fatcats baffles me, perhaps because a public sector fatcat doesn't look so fat to someone of Cameron's background.
    Cameron is just too far removed fromlife outside the SE to widen his appeal. That by itself shouldn't stop the Conservatives, but since he won't widen his circle to let others appeal to the North, the Midlands and Scotland he will once again fail to gain a majority.
  • Options
    woody662 said:

woody662 said:

woody662 said:

From my own anecdotal experience I think EdM has made two many promises of meddling intervention for them to be believable anymore.

That may be a reason Labour's WWC vote is melting away - they are 'real world' people.

Whereas public sector professionals will try to extract moonbeams from cucumbers if the government pays them to do so.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,290
    edited March 2015

FPT

MikeL said:

ELBOWing Populus and Ashcroft = Tories already 0.7% ahead

Did you do your graphs for last week?

I saw the final ELBOW but not the usual graphs - which are always excellent!
    Thanks! They were in the evening and overnight threads yesterday. Will post again later
    Thanks! Sorry I missed them.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Artist said:

Telegraph Politics ‏@TelePolitics 3m3 minutes ago
    David Cameron: I want to stay on as an MP if I lose the General Election

"“It’s the country’s choice. If they hoof me out and go for the other guy, I’ll have to think of something else, but I hope I’ll still be a Member of Parliament. I love serving my constituents. I love politics. I love public service. It’s what I care about. It’s a vocation."

I can't imagine Cameron on the backbenches.

No way he is going to sit there for 5 years listening to Ed warble from the back benches. He will either be as invisible as Gordo, or will actually step down after a short period and take up some business type role...I would think second option much more likely.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,952
    Tomorrow night... will anyone still be there at half nine ish? No TV by the look of it in there and I must watch L'Arsenal crash out of the Champs League
  • Options
    woody662 said:

woody662 said:

woody662 said:

The public sector has taken a lot of job losses so they will be hoping for more labour largesse. But because they have taken job losses there are fewer of them to form a strongest section.
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    Danny565 said:

FPT:

Sadly you are quite wrong. If you have a job to do you cannot be liked all of the time. You can be respected but not liked. You guys always think that if you are liked it will generate votes and seats. I think not if you are respected you can do that.

When doing a job that requires tough decisions and choices there is only one way. You make those decisions with the following in mind.

Be firm, ........then be fair and only then .......be friendly

Always in that order . Sorry it just is.

The trouble is you don't and far from being terrified I think joe public is terrified of what Labour has done and will do in the future. Labours want to be loved and won't break eggs to get the job done.
    it's their downfall because they don't observe the above rule.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,352
    woody662 said:

I agree that public sector professionals are the bedrock Labour vote, but the WWC vote is harder to pin down as their floating voters tend to be less engaged and decide later if at all.

The personal vote factor is pretty big in my patch - about a third of the voters spontaneously express a view on AS or me, and in the absence of clear national preferences it's often quoted as decisive. I assume the same sort of "politics as duel" scenario is being played out in the other 20 or so retread seats.
  • Options
    roserees64roserees64 Posts: 251
    At least Cameron can indulge in his beloved hunting once again when he is no longer PM.
    I was amused to see a Liberal posting as a Conservative from Yeovil on here.Fyshe could win Yeovil for the Tories.The posting which mentioned gay marriage made no sense in view of Laws being gay.
    Very positive 52% likeability rating for Labour, must be the best portent.
  • Options

Cameron is just too far removed fromlife outside the SE to widen his appeal. That by itself shouldn't stop the Conservatives, but since he won't widen his circle to let others appeal to the North, the Midlands and Scotland he will once again fail to gain a majority.
    Ironically Cameron has very little experience of London outside its privileged centre.

Leading to the Notting Hill dinner party focus group fallacy.

Likewise his knowledge of the south-east generally is far too 'Chipping Norton' with a disdain for 'Clacton'.

Conservative majorities are won neither in Notting Hill nor in Chipping Norton.
  • Options
    Artist

"I love public service. It’s what I care about. It’s a vocation."

I wonder what he said when he was at Carlton? Sounds like a footballer who loves his club until he doesn't
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,130

Roger said:

Cyclefree

It's a superb film
    It may well be a great film, I do not for a moment doubt that. But its plot - grouchy selfish carer, nurse, teacher, nanny, housekeeper, prospective son/daughter-in-law, weirdo in off the street; odd couples etc who finds, redeems him/herself and transforms everyone else's lives - is hardly original.
    But again thats not the point. A great film is not just its plot, its more than the sum of its parts. They had 3 goes at The Maltese Falcon before getting it right. The direct of this last effort had a big say in its success so maybe Nakache and (?) Toledano will go on to further great things.
    I don't know how much creativity was weaved into the script, but the story was based on the true story of a real couple.

As we see at the end of the film.
  • Options
    Paul_Mid_BedsPaul_Mid_Beds Posts: 1,409
    edited March 2015

At least Cameron can indulge in his beloved hunting once again when he is no longer PM.
    I was amused to see a Liberal posting as a Conservative from Yeovil on here.Fyshe could win Yeovil for the Tories.The posting which mentioned gay marriage made no sense in view of Laws being gay.

I think others who have read rather more of my posts than you have will find the idea that I am a Liberal stooge uttery hilarious. I'm voting Kipper and other than this post my posts on Libdems have been putting the boot in.

I was passing on an anecdote from an elderly relation in that part of the world. Dismiss it if you want but its the truth.

The post was:

Yes, just because people disagree with gay marriage dosen't mean that they despise and hate gay people. I know the left think otherwise, but most people do treat other people as individuals and judge them on their whole character not just one part of it.

The tories will learn at this election that a good chunk of voters voted for them up until 2010 because they saw them as the only hope for defending Judeo - Christian values against secularists and social-secularists. Thats gone now. Personally I would have prefered to see such people vote UKIP instead but such people tend to regard them as a bit boorish when compared with a constituency MP with a very good local record.
  • Options
    stodge said:

Evening all :)

My view for what little it's worth is both the Conservatives and Labour will pile up votes and majorities precisely where they don't need them.

I can see the logic in that. However they are not expected to pile up votes and majorities in Scotland and thanks to that and their beholdenness to the SNP there is less incentive to give them seats in England.
  • Options

woody662 said:

I agree that public sector professionals are the bedrock Labour vote, but the WWC vote is harder to pin down as their floating voters tend to be less engaged and decide later if at all.

The personal vote factor is pretty big in my patch - about a third of the voters spontaneously express a view on AS or me, and in the absence of clear national preferences it's often quoted as decisive. I assume the same sort of "politics as duel" scenario is being played out in the other 20 or so retread seats.
    Where I work (public sector) there is a lot of vocal support for the Tories and UKIP. Several people having openly stated they pray Labour do not win the GE. I despise discussing politics at work so try to avoid it where possible.

It is a Tory stronghold so may be different elsewhere in the country. Coming from the private sector where the industry I worked in was fiercely pro-Tory this experience has come as a big suprise.
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    MP_SE said:

Over the past 9 months

What is worrying them?
    WWC != Labour
  • Options
    BenMBenM Posts: 1,795
    I'll have a go: the polls are telling us that the big boys are neck and neck snd probably at or around 33% each. A vote share advantage for the Tories is likely but it's a toss up on seats.

Clear as mud.
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Why not just write "Tax and Spend" - much simpler.
  • Options

Ironically Cameron has very little experience of London outside its privileged centre.

Leading to the Notting Hill dinner party focus group fallacy.

Likewise his knowledge of the south-east generally is far too 'Chipping Norton' with a disdain for 'Clacton'.

Conservative majorities are won neither in Notting Hill nor in Chipping Norton.
    I think it's you who is full of fallacies.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    German Greek tensions seem to be on the rise again. First this from the Financial Post:

"many Germans say they’ve lost faith in Greece. According to the ZDF poll, 82% of respondents doubt that Greece will honour its agreed budget cuts and reforms, while only 14% trust that it will follow through. The poll was conducted March 10-12 and has a margin of error of plus or minus three percentage points."

Then Schauble is reported as saying that he doesn't know what to do with Greece now, that the latest Greek T-bill auction has destroyed all confidence as there were no foreign buyers, and that no-one can explain to him how the Greek ideas could work:

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2015-03-16/germany-slams-greece-new-government-has-destroyed-all-trust-had-been-rebuilt
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865

What are your views on the mainly working class sport of fishing and having dragged the poor fish out of its natural environment, suffering through inability to work it's gills correctly, stressed and dazed with a barbed steel hook locked in its throat it's subsequently manhandled, hook ripped out and thrown back in to suffer a similar fate. All over again.

Yeah thats bollox of course just like your post on a different sport with same outcome. Keep in mind on both rarely to the captors take the captive home as food. The only difference is one is favoured more by your people so that's ok.

PS. Never really like fox hunting but I dislike selective laws even more.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,855
    BenM said:

I'll have a go: the polls are telling us that the big boys are neck and neck snd probably at or around 33% each. A vote share advantage for the Tories is likely but it's a toss up on seats.

Clear as mud.

I agree.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Artist

"I love public service. It’s what I care about. It’s a vocation."

I wonder what he said when he was at Carlton? Sounds like a footballer who loves his club until he doesn't

Cameron is a Villa fan. It must be hard to persevere...
  • Options
    nigel4englandnigel4england Posts: 4,800
    Sean_F said:

BenM said:

Clear as mud.

I agree.
    Conservative minority at 9/2, the bet for me
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,855

Over the past 9 months

We have more marginal polls this week.

Populus and Opinium have changed their weightings, making comparisons with last year harder.

But, the frequency of Conservative leads is increasing. A Conservative lead is now as likely as a Labour one.

• Options

Pulpstar said:

Danny565 said:

Evening all..!

LibDems got 15% in October and 14% in December, 11% in January, 10% in February and now 8%
    Those Ashcroft polls in Liberal Democrat - Tory marginals were mostly done when they were nearer to the 15%.

Dead men shuffling.

• Options

Pulpstar said:

Danny565 said:

Evening all..!

Those Ashcroft polls in Liberal Democrat - Tory marginals were mostly done when they were nearer to the 15%.

Dead men shuffling.

Ironically it could help Kevin's chances if Mr Miliband was a touch more popular on the doorstep in Torquay, could do with Labour coming up from 6% there !
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,894

It might be - it is certainly very encouraging for the, particularly as Ed M's ratings continue to suffer for the moment at the very least - but that does not mean it must be.

As it is, in a tight race, which it appears this will be, and with Labour more likely to get more seats off the same level of vote (pending how bad Scotland gets), that more people like Labour may be that little bit extra that secures it for them. The Tories, by comparison, really need Cameron's rating advantage to lead to a polling advantage just to get to national vote share parity. I cannot see what else might boost them that little bit more to get most seats.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Danny565 said:

Evening all..!

Remarkable progress.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Danny565 said:

Evening all..!

Dead men shuffling.

Ironically it could help Kevin's chances if Mr Miliband was a touch more popular on the doorstep in Torquay, could do with Labour coming up from 6% there !
    Oh, the Labour vote is coming up there alright. Worked a strong LibDem area this weekend. Well, supposedly. The most vitriolic voter I have encountered so far this campaign was a former LibDem activist last time around....
  • Options
    kle4 said:

It might be - it is certainly very encouraging for the, particularly as Ed M's ratings continue to suffer for the moment at the very least - but that does not mean it must be.

As it is, in a tight race, which it appears this will be, and with Labour more likely to get more seats off the same level of vote (pending how bad Scotland gets), that more people like Labour may be that little bit extra that secures it for them. The Tories, by comparison, really need Cameron's rating advantage to lead to a polling advantage just to get to national vote share parity. I cannot see what else might boost them that little bit more to get most seats.
    The budget
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Danny565 said:

Evening all..!

Dead men shuffling.

I think this is an overlooked, if fairly small, factor in Most Seats. Somewhat counter-intuitively in some ways the Tories will likely win more LD seats than Labour (incidentally, I'm willing to offer evens on this if anyone wants).
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,894

kle4 said:

The budget
    That's the hope. Can't see it, especially as it will no doubt be a bunch of gimmicks, promises notwithstanding. But I've been wrong before.
  • Options
    Quincel said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Danny565 said:

Evening all..!

Dead men shuffling.

I think this is an overlooked, if fairly small, factor in Most Seats. Somewhat counter-intuitively in some ways the Tories will likely win more LD seats than Labour (incidentally, I'm willing to offer evens on this if anyone wants).
    A complete collapse helps the Cons more but I can't see too many yellow seats beyond Torbay being dropped, and Leeds NW (Lib/Lab) is vulnerable on some models though I'm not sure how accurate that is.
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    Pulpstar said:

Quincel said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Danny565 said:

Evening all..!

Dead men shuffling.

A complete collapse helps the Cons more but I can't see too many yellow seats beyond Torbay being dropped, and Leeds NW (Lib/Lab) is vulnerable on some models though I'm not sure how accurate that is.
    My theory is that once LD support drops too far incumbency simply won't be enough to be relevant in seats which were even fairly marginal in 2010.

Since we disagree, and this is PB, evens? I was thinking £50 or so, but happy to stick to an amount you are comfortable with.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Pulpstar said:

Quincel said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Danny565 said:

Evening all..!

Dead men shuffling.

Chances of a Lab gain in Leeds NW are being underestimated imo. As the Sheffield Hallam polls are showing, the Lib->Lab shift in the big northern cities is off the charts.

It's probably a more likely loss than Cambridge for example.
  • Options
    George Osborne has drawn up plans that would allow parents to pass a main property worth up to £1m to their children without paying any inheritance tax, according to Treasury papers leaked ahead of Wednesday’s budget.

The proposed measure would also reduce the inheritance tax bill on properties worth up to £2m by £140,000 and the Treasury analysis concludes that the scheme would “most likely benefit high income and wealthier households”.

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2015/mar/16/tories-1m-inheritance-tax-giveaway-sensitive-papers-wealthier-households
This discussion has been closed.