Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Marf for Wednesday and a reminder for next week

Comments

• Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012

John O'Farrell ‏@mrjohnofarrell 1h1 hour ago
    Culture Secretary blaming BBC for Clarkson 'fracas'. Now we have permission to punch Tories and then tell them they should manage us better.

Its the former culture secretary. Is she 'blaming' the BBC? Why not quote what she said rather than quote a headline? Where does anything she says make throwing punches acceptable? She said the programme should go ahead without Clarkson if necessary. ''his alleged behaviour is unacceptable''.
    She seems to be criticising the BBC for scrapping the programme.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    isam said:

isam said:

Less than 50% of Tories think Cameron cuts the mustard on any quality measured

Matthew Goodwin (@GoodwinMJ)
    11/03/2015 14:23
    How Tories and Kippers see @David_Cameron -> pic.twitter.com/SN6bpxHcGp

That doesn't bode well for Tory hopes for all those prodigal Kipper come Tories does it?

Shows that the conservatives on here are atypical
    Conservative supporters generally, not just on here, are pretty keen on David Cameron:

http://image.slidesharecdn.com/february15polmonitorchartsvithrfinal-150212060647-conversion-gate01/95/february-2015-ipsos-mori-political-monitor-11-1024.jpg?cb=1423744812

Presumably they see other qualities in him.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,064
    edited March 2015

Why Miliband hasn't ruled out a formal coalition (which is nigh on impossible anyway and the SNP probably wouldn't even want) is beyond me.

That's a good point

He can rule out a coalition and still keep the door open for deals.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,058
    Incidentally, I got a book by O'Farrell for Christmas (about modern history of Britain). It's the first book for several years I didn't bother reading much of, and I think the first book which was a present which I haven't finished.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,584
    Those saying about Netflix or Amazon, remember they also have started investing in shows, that are first show on normal telly with then obviously rights for them to show via streaming. They are clever operators, they aren't seeing the space as tv vs streaming,
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,094

If two colleagues fall out it is a matter between them.

Why is the BBC getting involved with Clarkson's spat with the producer about why there was no food provided on the day of filming?

I'm guessing a complaint has been made by one of the BBC's employees. I don't see what is so shocking about this.

• Options
    antifrank said:

isam said:

isam said:

That doesn't bode well for Tory hopes for all those prodigal Kipper come Tories does it?

Conservative supporters generally, not just on here, are pretty keen on David Cameron:

http://image.slidesharecdn.com/february15polmonitorchartsvithrfinal-150212060647-conversion-gate01/95/february-2015-ipsos-mori-political-monitor-11-1024.jpg?cb=1423744812

I do wonder how those ratings would look if Labour had a more popular leader. Not as good I suspect.
  • Options
    Bond_James_BondBond_James_Bond Posts: 1,939
    edited March 2015
    weejonnie said:

With regard to second-hand endowments (which could only really be traded in the last few years), someone with a policy that they did not need, or who needed ready cash, or who could not afford to continue making payments, could 'sell' the policy to a third person who would keep up payments and then gain the benefits when the policy matured.

Obviously at the peak of the market insurance companies were paying quite high terminal bonuses and the gamble was to work out what the rate of return would be when the policy matured. i.e. the cash purchase value + remaining premiums compared with the final payout.

Because the bonuses in the last few years were worth so much more (at the time), it was worthwhile holding on to maturity rather than making a quick kill (pun intended).

(Trust me, I am an insurance broker.)

Thanks. I was aware of the economic call required, but what puzzles me is why it was legal for me to benefit from the death of Fred Bloggs of Cardiff by buying his endowment policy second-hand, when it wouldn't have been legal for me to take such a policy out on his life afresh.

It struck me as the kind of thing that could be made illegal overnight at the stroke of a pen. Kudos to those that priced this risk correctly.

SeanT said:

Hahahah

Gets better for the BBC

"BBC faces multimillion-pound bill from Jeremy Clarkson's suspension"

Sued by all the broadcasters around the world, their most profitable TV brand collapses, Clarkson goes to Sky. The licence becomes that bit more unsustainable, at the worst possible moment. And lots of people start to hate the BBC.

And all because the BBC is run by a bunch of talentless po-faced overpaid liberal no-marks.

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/mar/11/bbc-jeremy-clarkson-suspension-top-gear

They could do with new presenters more representative of modern Britain. How about Will Self, Lenny Henry and Christine Bleakley?
    Nah. Marcus Brigstocke, Sandy Toksvig and Stephen Fry.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

isam said:

isam said:

I still find it quite weird this overwhelming support from Tory supporters for Cameron. He isn't exactly an inspirational leader like a Churchill or Thatcher or Blair, he is a middle manager, does just enough to get the job done, doesn't like to rock the boat, wont really go big on getting out of EU, etc...Not exactly somebody to get wildly enthused by.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 19,021
    Just heard the most ill informed comment yet on the Clakson affair from Maria Miller.

"The BBC will have to learn how to deal with its larger than life stars. They should take a lesson from Arsene Wenger who deals with big stars all the time"
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    Since Syriza's election, and the early rhetoric of Tsipras and Varoufakis, I had wondered whether Grexit was moving from possible to probable. Now, with the latest outrageous rhetoric on seizing German assets and deliberately flooding the Schengen area with jihadists with papers, I am wondering whether Greek exit from the EU is now the end game.

https://news.vice.com/article/anger-at-greek-threat-to-unleash-wave-of-migrants-and-jihadists-if-europe-leaves-it-in-crisis
  • Options

antifrank said:

isam said:

isam said:

I still find it quite weird this overwhelming support from Tory supporters for Cameron. He isn't exactly an inspirational leader like a Churchill or Thatcher or Blair, he is a middle manager, does just enough to get the job done, doesn't like to rock the boat, wont really go big on getting out of EU, etc...Not exactly somebody to get wildly enthused by.
    I was equally bemused by Labour supporters' enthusiastic approval of Neil Kinnock.

And Michael Foot.

And John Smith.

And Tony Blair.

And Gordon Brown.

And Ed Miliband.

I was also bemused why they thought John Prescott was such a great bloke. To me he was just a fat inarticulate lecherous troughing yob.

• Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    edited March 2015

Why is the BBC getting involved with Clarkson's spat with the producer about why there was no food provided on the day of filming?

I'm guessing a complaint has been made by one of the BBC's employees. I don't see what is so shocking about this.

The BBC need to get a Top Gear producer with some cojones who doesn't have to hide behind the BBC organisation.

Its like the sort of kids at school who went to the teacher crying "Sir, he hit me, sir"
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    Roger said:

Just heard the most ill informed comment yet on the Clakson affair from Maria Miller.

"The BBC will have to learn how to deal with its larger than life stars. They should take a lesson from Arsene Wenger who deals with big stars all the time"

You mean cos Arsenal don't buy big stars?
  • Options

antifrank said:

isam said:

isam said:

He's likeable with apparent bonhomie and looks and sounds the part. In troubled times, quite a lot of people find that quite appealing.
  • Options
    Mr. Bond, to be fair to Labour supporters, I don't think you could reasonably accuse them of ever having been enthusiastically approving of Ed Miliband.

Mr. T, the jihadist passport line from Greece is utterly despicable, but may be indicative of the sentiment of at least part of the governing coalition (and perhaps the people) in Greece.
  • Options

The BBC need to get a Top Gear producer with some cojones who doesn't have to hide behind the BBC organisation.
    Is there no way of involving Susanna Reid?
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245
    SeanT said:

Roger said:

You clearly have never watched the programme, and you also have no concept of how TV narratives work, which neatly explains why, in your entirely forgotten broadcasting career, the highest rung you reached was Director of a TV commercial about tampons.
    It is true that Roger is renowned for going with the flow.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    antifrank said:

isam said:

isam said:

He got them into power, or more to the point, prevented labour staying in power, and he is conservative PM, I would guess that's why they are keen on him

People are partisan, who knew?

I'd expect labour supporters will be keener on ed m if he is PM in a couple if months than they are now

But as the specific polling shows, a majority don't feel he is anything special in any department
  • Options
    antifrank said:

isam said:

isam said:

After Major, Hague, IDS and Howard, I think they are just glad that they have a leader who is no longer being mercilessly ridiculed. Its a low bar. After all their vote share (using the UKPR average~ 33%) is not far ahead of the Howard figure in 2005. Its not that far off core vote.
  • Options
    David Evershed

"If two colleagues fall out it is a matter between them."

The star of the show and the assistant producer are not collegues. The BBC will use assistant producer to describe anyone from PA to the person who cleans the cars.
  • Options

isam said:

Err, no. You have completely misunderstood the question.
    Don't think so, ( try not to be smart btw)

How so?
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,741

antifrank said:

isam said:

isam said:

After Major, Hague, IDS and Howard, I think they are just glad that they have a leader who is no longer being mercilessly ridiculed. Its a low bar. After all their vote share (using the UKPR average~ 33%) is not far ahead of the Howard figure in 2005. Its not that far off core vote.
    But isn't Cameron ahead of the Tory party in approval ratings?
  • Options
    May 2015's latest nowcast would lead to chaotic post-election negotiations:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B_1FkDhWcAEK-eX.png:large
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Roger said:

David Evershed

"If two collegues fall out it is a matter between them."

The star of the show and the assistant producer are not collegues. The BBC will use assistant producer to describe anyone from PA to the person who cleans the cars.

The BBC said the producer was a man - but what kind of man hides behind their employer in this petty dispute?
  • Options
    Mr. Antifrank, on the plus side, that's very close to my predictions in the guessing game.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,260

Roger said:

David Evershed

The BBC said the producer was a man - but what kind of man hides behind their employer in this petty dispute?
    Someone who wants his side of the story to be considered?

• Options

antifrank said:

isam said:

isam said:

But isn't Cameron ahead of the Tory party in approval ratings?
    Well that may be the case but if people aren't going to vote for him (which is what that implies) you can hardly call them 'Conservatives' which was the topic of discussion.
  • Options

Those saying about Netflix or Amazon, remember they also have started investing in shows, that are first show on normal telly with then obviously rights for them to show via streaming. They are clever operators, they aren't seeing the space as tv vs streaming,

That is the way the entire US TV industry is moving, albeit slowly. The dreadful State of Affairs flopped in the US in live viewing ratings (ending at about a show-cancelling 1.0 in the demo) but doubled its ratings through L+7 and streaming, giving its fans some (dim) hope of renewal.

See this article on Nielsen trying to move in on TV ratings for streamed shows:

http://time.com/3594946/netflix-nielsen-tv-ratings/
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    antifrank said:

Their Labour score is falling down towards Jack's ARSE
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    isam said:

isam said:

How so?
    It's not a question where punters are asked 'Do you think XXX is good in a crisis? Yes/No/Don't Know'. It's a question where punters select the characteristics themselves from those on offer. Typically on questions like this they don't select more than about (say) 3 - basically the characteristics they most associate with the politician.

So, it doesn't mean what you said.
  • Options
    edited March 2015

Enthused? No, I agree, nothing to get enthused about in the Churchill or Thatcher mould (I'll gloss over Blair..). But he is the best PM, bar Maggie, for half a century, so it's not unreasonable that his approval ratings are good.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,213
    SeanT said:

Roger said:

No, the most ill-informed comment was yours, when you suggested that the BBC could easily and "seamlessly" replace Clarkson, Hammond and May, and Top Gear would sail on, undamaged.

You clearly have never watched the programme, and you also have no concept of how TV narratives work, which neatly explains why, in your entirely forgotten broadcasting career, the highest rung you reached was Director of a TV commercial about tampons.
    The most interesting words I have heard on this saga are that "their contracts all expire at the end of this month".

Who at the BBC is going to get the short straw to grovel to the horrid Neanderthal knuckle-dragging Clarkson? "Please sign for another three series, Mister Clarkson sir...PLEASE...." so that they can all stay in their fantastic properties up there on the Moral High Ground?

"The views of all the little people are just superb....how could we ever possibly contemplate a move?"
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,741

Its like the sort of kids at school who went to the teacher crying "Sir, he hit me, sir"
    Yeh, must have annoyed you.
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

How so?
    It's not a question where punters are asked 'Do you think XXX is good in a crisis? Yes/No/Don't Know'. It's a question where punters select the characteristics themselves from those on offer. Typically on questions like this they don't select more than about (say) 3 - basically the characteristics they most associate with the politician.

I'm afraid you are wrong

'Thinking about Prime Minister David Cameron, which of the following qualities do you think he has? Please tick all
    that apply.
    Sticks to what he believes in Decisive Strong A natural leader Charismatic Good in a crisis Honest In touch with the concerns of ordinary people None of these Don’t know'

And he didn't get 50% from Tories in any... It was possible to get 100% in them all
  • Options

Mr. Bond, to be fair to Labour supporters, I don't think you could reasonably accuse them of ever having been enthusiastically approving of Ed Miliband.

Mr. T, the jihadist passport line from Greece is utterly despicable, but may be indicative of the sentiment of at least part of the governing coalition (and perhaps the people) in Greece.

Mr Dancer, I don't doubt that is true. But if that is the official position of a Government and it is acted upon, then that nation does not belong in the NATO or the EU, let alone Schengen or the EZ.
  • Options

Roger said:

David Evershed

Pretty clear his union rep got involved...
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Clarkson Petition now on 440,000. It is apparently the fastest growing petition in the history of change.org, and still rising 1000 a minute.

It will almost certainly reach half a million by the time of the BBC six o'clock news, which is piquant.

There's many millions of non-PC, lefty disdaining, normal folk out there who really really don't like the BBC. This is something concrete they can hang their frustration on. If the orangutan and the other two walk then the Beeb will lose millions (pounds and viewers). A spectacularly self inflicted giant fuck-up by Auntie. Gimps. Let's hope this helps kill the licence fee a little bit sooner.
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

How so?

I'm afraid you are wrong

'Thinking about Prime Minister David Cameron, which of the following qualities do you think he has? Please tick all
    that apply.
    Sticks to what he believes in Decisive Strong A natural leader Charismatic Good in a crisis Honest In touch with the concerns of ordinary people None of these Don’t know'

And he didn't get 50% from Tories in any... It was possible to get 100% in them all
    You're drawing the wrong conclusion. Given that Conservative supporters are overwhelmingly satisfied with his performance, the correct conclusion can only be that many Conservative supporters simply don't regard these attributes as particularly important in judging their leader.
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    edited March 2015
    If Clarkson and co leave Top Gear then the show is dead in the water.It would be like staging a Stones Tour without the Stones.The BBC is stuffed full of incompetent people that glory under the title of Producer..most of them would be unemployable elsewhere..and I have worked for the BBC,off and on, since 1967.nothing has changed.. they were poor then and things have not improved
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

How so?

I'm afraid you are wrong

that apply.

Yes, THEORETICALLY people can tick all of them. In practice, in questions like this they don't, as you will see if you trouble to find similar sets of questions for other politicians.

This is pretty basic stuff.
  • Options
    Mr. T, I agree entirely. Not standing up for that position or those who hold it at all.
  • Options
    JonnyJimmyJonnyJimmy Posts: 2,548
    isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

How so?

I'm afraid you are wrong

that apply.

Weird Ed got less than 20% of Lab supporters thinking he is strong, decisive, good in a crisis, a natural leader, or charismatic.

Cameron only got less than one in five (8%) Con supporters for "none of these". Miliband was rated as nota by one in six Lab supporters.
  • Options
    edited March 2015

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

How so?

I'm afraid you are wrong

that apply.

Yes, THEORETICALLY people can tick all of them. In practice, in questions like this they don't, as you will see if you trouble to find similar sets of questions for other politicians.

So I hadn't completely misunderstood, fair enough

David Cameron isnt thought of as any of the things listed by 50% of Tory supporters polled, that's what I said, and its true

I said it showed Conservatives on here were atypically favourable to him and your reaction is backing me up

The point is it shows no one thinks he is particularly great at anything.. they like him because he is the Conservative PM

• Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    edited March 2015
    TGOHF said:

antifrank said:

Where my ARSE leads from the front .... :smiley:

• Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,996

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

How so?

I'm afraid you are wrong

that apply.

Weird Ed got less than 20% of Lab supporters thinking he is strong, decisive, good in a crisis, a natural leader, or charismatic.

Cameron only got less than one in five (8%) Con supporters for "none of these". Miliband was rated as nota by one in six Lab supporters.
    Ed is Crap though.

Surely that should have been a quality
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    isam said:

David Cameron isnt thought of as any of the things listed by 50% of Tory supporters polled, that's what I said, and its true

I said it showed Conservatives on here were atypically favourable to him and your reaction is backing me up

(bangs head against brick wall) No, it is not the case that "David Cameron isnt thought of as any of the things listed by 50% of Tory supporters polled". It is the case that there was no one characteristic which more than 50% of respondents put amongst the characteristics they selected (basically the ones they most associate with him). I don't think I can be any clearer than I already have. I find to hard to believe that you really don't understand the point.
  • Options
    Patrick said:

SeanT said:

Clarkson Petition now on 440,000. It is apparently the fastest growing petition in the history of change.org, and still rising 1000 a minute.

It will almost certainly reach half a million by the time of the BBC six o'clock news, which is piquant.

There's many millions of non-PC, lefty disdaining, normal folk out there who really really don't like the BBC. This is something concrete they can hang their frustration on. If the orangutan and the other two walk then the Beeb will lose millions (pounds and viewers). A spectacularly self inflicted giant fuck-up by Auntie. Gimps. Let's hope this helps kill the licence fee a little bit sooner.
    They don't care - the licence fee keeps rolling in, keep the management champagne coming ....
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

How so?

I'm afraid you are wrong

that apply.

It wasn't a comparison with Miliband that I cited though was it? So what?

People prefer stepping barefoot in mud than they do dog shit as well I suppose

• Options
    Staggers has a good piece on Balls

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2015/03/ed-balls-profile-keyness-bulldog

" One MP told me that Balls had declared during the 2010 contest, “There are two people who are up to this job: one’s David Miliband and one’s me.”

He added that Balls believed that Ed Miliband “hadn’t grown” since his election and felt “dreadfully sorry” about his failure to connect with voters."
  • Options
    edited March 2015

isam said:

<

(bangs head against brick wall) No, it is not the case that "David Cameron isnt thought of as any of the things listed by 50% of Tory supporters polled". I don't think I can be any clearer than I already have. I find to hard to believe that you really don't understand the point.
    Keep banging it until you understand I reckon

Then again.. Rochester.. you are sure of yourself even when wildly wrong

If ten people who knew you were asked

"Do you think of Richard as

Kind
    Clever
    Considerate
    Generous
    Thoughtful
    Wise

Tick as many as you like"

And you didn't score 5 in any of them, you would think that ok?

• Options
    Hengists_GiftHengists_Gift Posts: 628
    edited March 2015

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

How so?

I'm afraid you are wrong

that apply.

So are you suggesting that people are incapable of following the survey instructions and instead decide to do their own thing?

It seems to me that if it says 'Tick All That Apply' and people then don't tick some of them then it is reasonable to believe that that actually means they don't think those qualities apply rather than they can't be bothered to fill in the survey properly.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    450,065 up - 1/2 million coming up soon.
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

How so?

I'm afraid you are wrong

that apply.

Farage was better looking than Cameron. He was a better dresser than Cameron. He had more hair! He told funnier jokes! And he could dance the pants off of Cameron!.

I would neither buy a car from nor give a job to any of the current leaders. So it all cancels out, and we can concentrate on the ishoos.

ed's crapness is of course an ishoo, for these purposes.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited March 2015
    JackW said:

TGOHF said:

antifrank said:

Are you black- rod perchance...?
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

How so?

I'm afraid you are wrong

that apply.

So are you suggesting that people are incapable of following the survey instructions and instead decide to do their own thing?

It seems to me that if it says 'Tick All That Apply' and people then don't tick some of them then it is reasonable to believe that that actually means they don't think those qualities apply rather than they can't be bothered to fill in the survey properly.
    Conservatives on here are not typical of Conservative voters
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

How so?

I'm afraid you are wrong

that apply.

http://ourinsight.opinium.co.uk/survey-results/political-polling-17th-february-2015

You don't like Mori showing that to be guff? Try Opinium.

Net rating (own party) +88%.
  • Options
    edited March 2015

As I said, look at other examples of this sort of question being asked, and you will see that I am right.

Respondents are not being stupid. They are, not unreasonably, answering a question which appears to asking about 'what sort of person is Cameron?'. They have been asked firstly to 'think about David Cameron'. Following that instruction, they then select the characteristics which most closely match their thoughts about him. They are selecting the strongest matches.

As I said, this is pretty basic stuff in terms of the psychology of people responding to surveys.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,951
    isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

How so?

I'm afraid you are wrong

that apply.

Nobody on here is typical of any voters.....
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

How so?

I'm afraid you are wrong

that apply.

Total quality-percentage-sum for each leader from their own support (ie adding up the percentage that each gets for all the 'qualities')

Miliband 216
    Clegg 240
    Cameron 294
  • Options
    isam said:

I wasn't sure of myself on Rochester. I was however sure of myself on our Labour manifesto bet, which I will win and you will lose!
  • Options
    Just seen this comment...LOL

I’ve learnt that Jeremy Clarkson was once cautioned by a Metropolitan Police Officer and that this radicalised him. A spokesman for the government-funded charity BRAKE said that, “he had been such a nice quiet boy up until that time and had never ever exceeded the speed limit”.

The commissioner of the Metropolitan Police Force apologised for any upset that his officers might have caused and said, “Jeremy has committed no crime and will be welcome back in London at any time”.

BBC Newsnight will address the question, “What pushed Jeremy Clarkson off the rails? Where did we all go wrong?”
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    nasty right-wing press at it again…!

“Whatever Justine chooses to call herself is up to her, but this feels like Labour chasing the political benefit of rebranding her a "Miliband". As if wheeling out a soft interview with The Wife a couple of months before an election isn’t crass enough.

It also goes against Miliband's insistence that the thing he’s learned most since becoming leader is to be himself. “I am not from central casting,” he says. A rather hollow statement when he's been spooked into the old political trick of using family as campaign fodder.”

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2015/03/justine-thorntons-rebrand-mrs-miliband-shows-how-ed-again-torn-two
  • Options
    SeanT said:

TGOHF said:

Patrick said:

SeanT said:

They don't care - the licence fee keeps rolling in, keep the management champagne coming ....
    But the licence fee is set to disappear, or severely diminish. It is an unsustainable model when so many people can and will stream content on laptops, ipads, smartphones, PCs. Are you going to try and tithe everyone who has access to the internet?

People will simply stop paying the licence fee and watch everything online, and then the BBC is screwed, unless it can literally persuade the government of the day to impose a new poll tax on everyone in Britain, whether they watch the BBC or not.

Good luck with that, BBC.

This is why the BBC needs as many friends as possible. It's not making friends right now.
    Yes but by that time the twonk screwing this up will be grand wizard of the Guardian online or somesuch - he won't give an Aylesbury duck.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Sean

"You clearly have never watched the programme, and you also have no concept of how TV narratives work, which neatly explains why, in your entirely forgotten broadcasting career, the highest rung you reached was Director of a TV commercial about tampons."

How depressing that must be for you to think that I earn more than you and you believe it's for shooting tampon commercials!
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    antifrank said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

How so?

I'm afraid you are wrong

that apply.

http://ourinsight.opinium.co.uk/survey-results/political-polling-17th-february-2015

You don't like Mori showing that to be guff? Try Opinium.

Net rating (own party) +88%.
    You misunderstand what I am saying, and are proving nothing with your tables. You are proving a point that I am not questioning

I am not saying he is unpopular with his own supporters, I am saying he is popular because he is the Conservative PM rather than any identifiable quality.. they like him because he is their guy and he is PM, because he stopped the PM being a Labour guy as it had for 13 years

Ascribing qualities to him personally misses that point, and when asked, Conservative voters didn't unanimously say he was specifcally good at anything

People on here say he is great at this and that when he does this or that, but most people in the real world are just supporting their team
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,042
    isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

How so?

I'm afraid you are wrong

that apply.

For starters we are PB Tories... The clue is in the name!
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    isam said:

The point is it shows no one thinks he is particularly great at anything.. they like him because he is the Conservative PM

Quietly competent and a safe pair of hands isn't a bad thing to be.

God forbid we have someone who wants to stride the global stage starting wars all over the place, or whose meddling and general buffoonery is likely to collapse the banking system and bankrupt NHS trusts with PFI vanity projects.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053

.@Nigel_Farage: "wind energy is biggest collective econ. insanity I’ve seen in my entire life" http://t.co/Khklsbc3U9 pic.twitter.com/glSJnQAgZf

— Tom Nelson (@tan123) March 11, 2015
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

How so?

I'm afraid you are wrong

that apply.

Cameron is taking on Miliband in the election. I think a comparison like I've made is more relevant to the election than the original one between how Kippers and Tories view Cameron.

You're probably put out that I didn't mention UKIP in my reply to you. Ok, Miliband gets no more than one in twenty kippers assigning him any of these qualities.
  • Options

isam said:

I wasn't sure of myself on Rochester. I was however sure of myself on our Labour manifesto bet, which I will win and you will lose!
    Yes I think you will win on that one, but don't try and backtrack in about Rochester, you wrote at length as to why you were right and argued against me at every point!
  • Options

isam said:

What is this Labour Manifesto bet - I sincerely hope it's not about the damn thing making any sort of logical sense.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

JackW said:

TGOHF said:

antifrank said:

Er .... No.

The closest I've come to having a door shut deliberately in my face was when an interloper tried to slam the yett of a castle on yours truly. They did not escape the wrath of Mrs JackW - who was a sight to behold in full flight and righteous indignation - What a gal.

• Options
    edited March 2015

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

How so?

I'm afraid you are wrong

that apply.

Cameron is taking on Miliband in the election. I think a comparison like I've made is more relevant to the election than the original one between how Kippers and Tories view Cameron.

You're probably put out that I didn't mention UKIP in my reply to you. Ok, Miliband gets no more than one in twenty kippers assigning him any of these qualities.
    "You're probably put out that I didn't mention UKIP in my reply to you"

What a strange thing to say, I couldn't care less if you replied at all
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,951

BBC Newsnight will address the question, “What pushed Jeremy Clarkson off the rails? Where did we all go wrong?”

BBC Newsnight will address the question, “What Senior, elderly (and preferably dead) Tory interfered with as young Jeremy which pushed Clarkson off the rails”
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    RobD said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

How so?

I'm afraid you are wrong

that apply.

I steer clear of lazy stereotyping and "go to phrases" ;)
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Pulpstar said:

isam said:

What is this Labour Manifesto bet - I sincerely hope it's not about the damn thing making any sort of logical sense.
    No, no, certainly not!

The bet was that isam thought Labour would go for an EU In/Out referendum.

Yes, taking candy from a baby, I know. He actually offered to increase the bet but I didn't have the heart to take another sweet off him so I didn't take it up.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    edited March 2015
    chestnut said:

isam said:

Quietly competent and a safe pair of hands isn't a bad thing to be.

God forbid we have someone who wants to stride the global stage starting wars all over the place, or whose meddling and general buffoonery is likely to collapse the banking system and bankrupt NHS trusts with PFI vanity projects.
    I was in this YouGov panel earlier in the week.

I recall it being a rather forced choice between Dave and Ed, so people like me had to indicate which they preferred before answering questions on leadership.

Of the two I would prefer Dave, but would not count myself a Con supporter.

One question was on the nuclear button. I would not trust either with it!
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

isam said:

No, no, certainly not!

Yes, taking candy from a baby, I know. He actually offered to increase the bet but I didn't have the heart to take another sweet off him so I didn't take it up.
    It was 2/1 wasn't it?
  • Options
    JackW said:

JackW said:

TGOHF said:

antifrank said:

Er .... No.

The closest I've come to having a door shut deliberately in my face was when an interloper tried to slam the yett of a castle on yours truly. They did not escape the wrath of Mrs JackW - who was a sight to behold in full flight and righteous indignation - What a gal.

Do you not often get to view Mrs JackW in full light?

Ah, my coat!
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

How so?

I'm afraid you are wrong

that apply.

"You're probably put out that I didn't mention UKIP in my reply to you"

What a strange thing to say, I couldn't care less if you replied at all
    Maybe not "if" but it did seem you cared how.. "It wasn't that that I cited though was it? So what?", sounds like a fairly petulant response to me!

Do try and cheer up :smile:
  • Options
    isam said:

Pulpstar said:

isam said:

No, no, certainly not!

It was 2/1 wasn't it?
    I don't recall - I'll have to check my notes.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    isam said:

You misunderstand what I am saying, and are proving nothing with your tables. You are proving a point that I am not questioning

I am not saying he is unpopular with his own supporters, I am saying he is popular because he is the Conservative PM rather than any identifiable quality.. they like him because he is their guy and he is PM, because he stopped the PM being a Labour guy as it had for 13 years

Ascribing qualities to him personally misses that point, and when asked, Conservative voters didn't unanimously say he was specifcally good at anything

There are multiple difficulties with that theory:

1) David Cameron is more popular than his party, and has been so pretty consistently for a long time. So it's not just that he's Conservative leader - he clearly appeals to a considerable number of voters for other reasons.

2) His approval ratings both with his party and with the wider electorate have fluctuated over the years but seem to be on an upward trend. There wouldn't be any great variation in his ratings if your theory of slavish adoration by the Conservative public had anything much in it.

3) You assume that the only attributes that the public value in a Prime Minister are those listed. That seems a very dangerous and almost certainly incorrect assumption to me.

4) As Richard Nabavi correctly points out, people will answer this type of multiple selection question in varying ways when polled.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,320
    edited March 2015

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

How so?

I'm afraid you are wrong

that apply.

Nobody on here is typical of any voters.....
    Truer words rarely spoken. I think I may have met one or two typical voters though. Weird people.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    isam said:

RobD said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

How so?

I'm afraid you are wrong

that apply.

I steer clear of lazy stereotyping and "go to phrases" ;)
    The latter sums me up to a tee hah! Not the former though. I'll give anyone the benefit of the doubt in terms of becoming a PB Tory :p
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,996

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

How so?

I'm afraid you are wrong

that apply.

Total quality-percentage-sum for each leader from their own support (ie adding up the percentage that each gets for all the 'qualities')

Miliband 216
    Clegg 240
    Cameron 294
    Ed is Crap 216/700 = 31%
    Clegg 240/700 = 32%
    Cameron the master debater 294/700 = 42%

What is the pass mark?

41% thought so
  • Options
    JEOJEO Posts: 3,656
    antifrank said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

How so?

I'm afraid you are wrong

that apply.

You're drawing the wrong conclusion. Given that Conservative supporters are overwhelmingly satisfied with his performance, the correct conclusion can only be that many Conservative supporters simply don't regard these attributes as particularly important in judging their leader.
    I would like to suggest another possibility. The description "satisfied" is a lot less enthusiastic than many of the descriptive terms in the aforementioned survey. Speaking on an individual basis, I am broadly satisfied with David Cameron's leadership. The Prime Minister has done a reasonable job overseeing a difficult fiscal retrenchment, has navigated us through some complex foreign policy issues, and has come over as an effective statesman when required. He has been a solid six out of ten leader. I would not describe him as a strong, decisive natural leader that is great in a crisis, even though I regard such attributes as important.
  • Options

isam said:

Pulpstar said:

isam said:

No, no, certainly not!

It was 2/1 wasn't it?
    I don't recall - I'll have to check my notes.
    Yeah I don't think I thought they would, but was prepared to bet they might
  • Options
    antifrank said:

isam said:

There are multiple difficulties with that theory:

1) David Cameron is more popular than his party, and has been so pretty consistently for a long time. So it's not just that he's Conservative leader - he clearly appeals to a considerable number of voters for other reasons.

2) His approval ratings both with his party and with the wider electorate have fluctuated over the years but seem to be on an upward trend. There wouldn't be any great variation in his ratings if your theory of slavish adoration by the Conservative public had anything much in it.

3) You assume that the only attributes that the public value in a Prime Minister are those listed. That seems a very dangerous and almost certainly incorrect assumption to me.

4) As Richard Nabavi correctly points out, people will answer this type of multiple selection question in varying ways when polled.
    If 10 friends of yours were asked

"Is Alastair

Witty
    Clever
    Handsome
    Attractive
    Kind
    Generous
    Articulate

Tick as many as you feel apply"

And you didn't get 5 ticks in any category, would you be pleased? If it were me I would be disappointed, but we are all different

• Options

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

How so?

I'm afraid you are wrong

that apply.

Miliband 216
    Clegg 240
    Cameron 294
    Ed is Crap 216/700 = 31%
    Clegg 240/700 = 32%
    Cameron the master debater 294/700 = 42%

What is the pass mark?

41% thought so
    40,%, old bean, or a "Douglas". Not been to uni, I take it... ;)
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,320
    JEO said:

antifrank said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

How so?

I'm afraid you are wrong

that apply.

He has been a solid six out of ten leader.
    Seems about right. Miliband probably rates as a 4-5 out of 10 by comparison.
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    RobD said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

How so?

I'm afraid you are wrong

that apply.

Ah, now. PB Tory has a very specialised definition. In fact I think we should apply to the EU for protected designation of origin status.

• Options
    Channel 4 10pm Sunday

"Britains Racist Election
    A timely exploration of how an infamous anti-immigration campaign in the 1964 General Election tore a community apart and triggered one of the worst chapters in British race relations"

"Timely".

Subtle..
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    On the multiple-choice characteristics question, the only valid way of interpreting them is to compare the results (given the same question and list of attributes) for different politicians. Essentially they are giving you a picture of two things: the general degree of approval (clearly Kippers in that survey don't rate Cameron, but the figures for Conservative supporters are unsurprisingly very good), and the key attributes which the respondents associate with the politician from amongst those listed.
  • Options
    Neil said:

RobD said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

How so?

I'm afraid you are wrong

that apply.

Ah, now. PB Tory has a very specialised definition. In fact I think we should apply to the EU for protected designation of origin status.

Quite right, much like how quality Champagne is distinguished from knock-off own-brand sparkling wine ;)
  • Options
    Roger said:

David Evershed

"If two colleagues fall out it is a matter between them."

The Top Gear producer who was involved in the fracas is Oisin Tymon. He is not a PA nor cleans cars. The dispute is between him and Clarkson. The BBC should stay out of the dispute. They should certainly not be banning the show but getting another producer if needed.
This discussion has been closed.