Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Does this explain the Tory optimism about May

1235»

Comments

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,289
    edited March 2015
    Pulpstar said:

Conservatives could end up with more seats than Labour in Scotland - now there's a thought.

Lib Dems could be equal with Labour :O

And the Pandas could scoop before the GE after this.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 78,069
    edited March 2015
    BBC seem very uninterested by this story...probably because not Chelsea fans?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2964984/Fight-Jewish-scum-Shocking-anti-Semitism-streets-BRITAIN-Jewish-journalist-spat-abused-stalked-happens-Copenhagen.html

Adrian "Golly" Chiles will be along soon to tell us all they hey it was only the odd insult and that he would get some abuse if he walked around the streets of Manchester because he is a celeb.
  • Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108

Dair said:

Indigo said:

Roger said:

I heard the other day that Manchester was the first nuclear free zone in the UK. If only they had realised what a style icon they were turning down

London was expected to be devastated by two to four bombs of up to five megatons each exploding over the city. Glasgow, Birmingham and Manchester were each said to be in line for one or two "airbursts" of up to five megatons.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jun/05/uk-government-top-secret-list-probable-nuclear-targets-1970s
    Have a play with

http://nuclearsecrecy.com/nukemap/

and scare yourself about how big the blast radius is, 5mt on Big Ben for example would reach Watford with the thermal radiation flash.
    More important, go to Moscow and see how little damage a 100kt W76 actually does to a country the size of Russia. We have 32 available and 64 max even with extra missiles we only have around 120 warheads.

That's not a lot of damage. It is not even viable as a "deterent".
    One dropped on the centre of Moscow appears to kill a quarter of a million people. Might put me off a bit.
    That would not be in line with Russian military history. The phrase "Acceptable Casualties" could have been invented there.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693

Alistair said:

antifrank said:

Alistair said:

antifrank said:

Alistair said:

antifrank said:

DavidL said:

I would think the Scottish tories will end up with 2 seats namely their current one and Berwickshire. I think they will be very close in Dumfries and Galloway and possibly in Kincardine but they risk being overtaken by the SNP in both seats.

A pretty poor return for nearly 500K votes but that is the way it goes up here.

The latest Scottish constituency polls for Lord Ashcroft are stunningly good for the SNP and stunningly bad for everyone else, the Conservatives included. I'm having a complete rethink about the outcome in Scotland and if I can get my thoughts together, I'll be putting another post up over the weekend.
    It should start with "...anyone who was thinking of laying off their SNP bets is a moron"
    When the facts change, I change my opinions.

I don't think it has yet generally sunk in just how sensational the latest batch of Scottish constituency polls are and how they blew apart the emerging consensus of what the SNP coalition looks like.
    I solidly include myself in the moron camp. MY GE15 game prediction of 52 SNP seats is no longer looking like a high end punt to win the competition and more like a conservative estimate.

I am still mentally subtracting 5 percentage points from any SNP lead in a constituency but that still leaves them with whaking great leads
    I think your thoughts on Tuesday night were eminently sensible in the light of the information we had at the time. We have a lot of new and unexpected information. None of us are blessed with perfect foresight, or political betting would be very straightforward.

52 SNP MPs looks something like the par outcome as of today's date. When I put my post on hypothetical hung Parliament negotiations together in early December, I used 31 MPs as my high end estimate for the SNP and thought I was being quite racy. Now it would be a real disappointment for the SNP.
    Yes, I can't quite get my head around it. I am genuinely struggling with the thought that Mundell is in a neck and neck race with the SNP.

Back in 2010, if anyone had said what would be the odds on Labour not to win a seat in Scotland, I think the odds would have been close to 12,000/1

Are we surr antifrank didn't get on at that price?
    Five years out, no party should be bigger than 1000/1 to win 0 seats in the whole of the UK.
    Yeah, corals offered something stupid like 3500/1 on turnout being below 39% IIRC

It's incredibly unlikely, but not 3500/1 unlikely :)
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    edited March 2015
    Dair said:

Dair said:

Indigo said:

Roger said:

I heard the other day that Manchester was the first nuclear free zone in the UK. If only they had realised what a style icon they were turning down

London was expected to be devastated by two to four bombs of up to five megatons each exploding over the city. Glasgow, Birmingham and Manchester were each said to be in line for one or two "airbursts" of up to five megatons.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jun/05/uk-government-top-secret-list-probable-nuclear-targets-1970s
    Have a play with

and scare yourself about how big the blast radius is, 5mt on Big Ben for example would reach Watford with the thermal radiation flash.
    More important, go to Moscow and see how little damage a 100kt W76 actually does to a country the size of Russia. We have 32 available and 64 max even with extra missiles we only have around 120 warheads.

One dropped on the centre of Moscow appears to kill a quarter of a million people. Might put me off a bit.
    That would not be in line with Russian military history. The phrase "Acceptable Casualties" could have been invented there.
    40 warheads+, upwards of 10 million dead, and 30-40 million injured or dying. That's greater than losses in WW2. Not even Russia would consider that acceptable.
  • Options
    New thread.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    new thread
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    A mother that tortures and kills her 8 years old daughter only gets 13 years in prison, is that some kind of sick joke?

Mother who tortured her daughter to death is jailed for 13 ...
    www.dailymail.co.uk/.../Twisted-mother-tortured-daughter-eight-death-jail...

3 hours ago - A 'manipulative and wicked' lesbian and the Muslim lover she brainwashed into torturing her eight-year-old daughter to death were jailed for a ...
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Patrick said:

The sickeningly hypocritical thing is that lefties like to bang on endlessly about multiculti Britain and will defend muslims onto the death no matter what some of their more deranged co-religionists get up to - but somehow a british jew is fair game because of the policy decisions of the government of Israel. WTF? Having a seriously negative view of Israel is anyone's right if they so wish (SeanT has been pretty damn vocal on that score in the past) but to confuse that with the basic rights and civil liberties of a section of our community says alot about the hard left.

Yep, the hard left is no different to the hard right.
    The problem is that it isn't the hard left that lets this behaviour slide. It is the mainstream left that has allowed Muslim anti-Semitism become so common by not allowing any criticism of Muslims by screaming racism at anyone that did. Now we have parts of Britain which are inaccessible to certain people.

Really? Can you show the heroic battles the mainstream right has fought against this? The language Tory leaders use about Moslems looks almost identical tot he language labour leaders use; "Religion of peace", "not true Moslems" etc. Cameron and Co come out with it all the time.

Yet it is right wing supporters who call the government and Conservative leadership on that bullshit double speak when they spout it but leftists nod along furiously. You are dancing on the head of a pin here, it has been clear for many, many years that the mainstream right in the UK is more sceptical towards Islam than the left and on a number of occasions any criticism by someone on the right has been shouted down as racism by the left. We are in this situation because of it, however much you want to deny it. The left needs to take a very long and hard look at what it has done over the last 10 years to court the Muslim vote and think about whether it is worth continuing down this path.
    Well said - Southam does so like to dance on the head of a pin.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,269
    SeanT said:

Remember I used to make weak jokes on pb about anti-Semitism in Britain?

They don't seem funny any more.

People spitting at Jews on the street, no, not in Berlin in 1936, in Bradford in 2015.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2964984/Fight-Jewish-scum-Shocking-anti-Semitism-streets-BRITAIN-Jewish-journalist-spat-abused-stalked-happens-Copenhagen.html

I share the concerns of others at this and at Coolagorna's revolting response.

• Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012

Dair said:

Dair said:

Indigo said:

Roger said:

Have a play with

40 warheads+, upwards of 10 million dead, and 30-40 million injured or dying. That's greater than losses in WW2. Not even Russia would consider that acceptable.
    Dair does though. Puts all his other opinios into perspective
This discussion has been closed.