Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Marf on the murder of Boris Newtsov and details of the pre-

SystemSystem Posts: 11,686
edited February 2015 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Marf on the murder of Boris Newtsov and details of the pre-GE15 PB gathering

The next PB get-together will take place on Tuesday March 17th from 7pm at the Shooting Star in Middlesex Street. As the map below shows this is just round the corner from our normal venue, Dirty Dicks. We are hoping that this will be less crowded and noisy than the pre-Christmas bash. Thanks to Fat Steve for finding the new venue.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,822
    edited February 2015
    One day, probably a very long time for now (but maybe not as long as we might think?) Brutal Putin will himself meet a bad end...
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    To less sober matters. I am pondering tonight's YouGov.

Will Lab retain the lead they achieved on Thursday or will we revert back to a Tie or even a Con lead?

Most difficult YG prediction of the week coming up...

I assume no other polls are expected tonight (obviously this close to the election we could get polls from various unexpected quarters)
  • Options
    Apparently Putin is touchy about unfavorable cartoons.

Wonder why?
  • Options
    rogerhrogerh Posts: 282
    GIN1138 said:

Will Lab retain the lead they achieved on Thursday or will we revert back to a Tie or even a Con lead?

I assume no other polls are expected tonight (obviously this close to the election we could get polls from various unexpected quarters)

Opinium Observer?

• Options
    David Coburn.

That is all.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,462
    edited February 2015
    Cartoonists -the frontline of the US and its allies trying to undermine sovereign nations and push us into another world war. You must be so proud.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

One day, probably a very long time for now (but maybe not as long as we might think?) Brutal Putin will himself meet a bad end...

One day we will all have to answer for what we've done, and said. Something for us all to think about.
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    edited February 2015
    Suella Fernandes selected as the Conservative candidate for Fareham

It has been a good week for Conservative selections perennial finalists with Helen Whately also selected on Tuesday
  • Options
    Coming tonight will be the now weekly Opinium poll which week had CON 2% ahead
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited February 2015

Cartoonists - the frontline of the US and its allies trying to undermine sovereign nations. You must be so proud.

An outspoken Putin critic is assonated a day before he is about to lead a major rally denouncing Russian imperialist aggression against Ukraine – and you are blaming Marf..?
  • Options

Cartoonists - the frontline of the US and its allies trying to undermine sovereign nations. You must be so proud.

An outspoken Putin critic is assonated a day before he is about to lead major rally denouncing Russian imperialist aggression against Ukraine – and you are blaming Marf..?
    A conspiracy theorist alleging Western Government complicity in illegal activity is a loony, but if someone gets shot in Russia there's no need for an investigation, forensics, evidence, judge or jury or any of that malarkey, it's obviously wicked uncle Vlad?

• Options
    Smarmeron said:

@Smarmeron
    Sorry, I realised how the context changed. what are good reasons for termination, or are their none?

@Smarmeron, FPT: in my book there are no good reasons for termination.

The whole point of my post was to express my disgust at MPs refusing to ban abortion on the grounds of the sex of the foetus (with principally females being the victim)

and to point out that it follows that said MPs are so wedded to the idea of the "right to choose" that if someone discovered a "gay gene" that could be detected in a test on a foetus, our MPs would not even ban abortion on those grounds.
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215

Suella Fernandes selected as the Conservative candidate for Fareham

It has been a good week for Conservative selections perennial finalists with Helen Whately also selected on Tuesday

And (surprisingly) you missed the most important of them all. One of my excellent team, Elise Dunweber, was selected last night for the key must-win marginal of Sheffield Brightside and Hillsborough.

I hereby appoint TSE as her campaign mananger.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

Cartoonists -the frontline of the US and its allies trying to undermine sovereign nations and push us into another world war. You must be so proud.

Kipper Putin love in continues. Who is your favourite out of him, Stalin or Mugabe ?
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    edited February 2015
    @Luckyguy1983

' it's obviously wicked uncle Vlad? '

Just like the Russian defector poisoned in a London hotel in 2006, nothing to do with uncle Vlad just an amazing coincidence.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,000

Smarmeron said:

@Smarmeron
    Sorry, I realised how the context changed. what are good reasons for termination, or are their none?

The whole point of my post was to express my disgust at MPs refusing to ban abortion on the grounds of the sex of the foetus (with principally females being the victim)

and to point out that it follows that said MPs are so wedded to the idea of the "right to choose" that if someone discovered a "gay gene" that could be detected in a test on a foetus, our MPs would not even ban abortion on those grounds.
    Rape of a 13 year old?
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    @OldKingCole FPT

It's a really great company - it's first generation products are already on the market in China (for swine FMD). We are about to launch an immunocastration product for boars as well.

On the human side we've focused on Alzheimer's and HIV rather than influenza, primarily because the tender prices in flu are so low that the returns really just don't work.

Company is called united biomedical if you want to look.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Kipper Putin love in continues. Who is your favourite out of him, Stalin or Mugabe ?
    Funny you should mention Kippers -we're so often criticised for saying things like 'Cameron lies and won't keep his promises' - PB Tories really love to pick that one apart and prove that we hold no evidence that he lies, no evidence that he won't keep his promises. But when it comes to Putin, that capacity for logical and rational thought flies out of the window.

So perhaps you can explain just how you've established in the short time you've had, that Putin was responsible for killing this man. Go on, I'm all ears. You might want to explain whilst you're at it why he would want to -given that his approval ratings are at 85%, and the political opposition in Russia is disunited and ineffective.
  • Options

Smarmeron said:

@Smarmeron

Rape of a 13 year old?
    There is not going to be a happy ending to that whatever happens. Visiting the sins of the father on the son isn't going to help anyone.

And that "hard case " is irrevlevant to the other 99.99% of abortions in any case.
  • Options
    john_zims said:

@Luckyguy1983

' it's obviously wicked uncle Vlad? '

Just like the Russian defector poisoned in a London hotel in 2006, nothing to do with uncle Vlad just an amazing coincidence.

This isn't an argument.
  • Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    edited February 2015
    @Paul_Mid_Beds
    I understand where you are coming from now. (possibly a rewrite of the original would have been better).
    Myself, I am in favour of the right to choose, but not as a form of eugenics based on what you assume the child might become. Serious genetic faults that leave the child with very low life quality are ok, hair colour, sex, and general cosmetic reasons should be ignored.
    (the dividing lines are of course a minefield)
  • Options

Smarmeron said:

@Smarmeron

Rape of a 13 year old?
    There is not going to be a happy ending to that whatever happens. Visiting the sins of the father on the son isn't going to help anyone.

And that "hard case " is irrevlevant to the other 99.99% of abortions in any case.
    So no consideration given to the psychological distress that will most likely be visited on the child victim?
  • Options
    Maybe times have changed, but when I worked in the City it was carnage in any pub on St Paddy's day.

Not sure the PB drinks organisers have thought this one through.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Smarmeron said:

@Smarmeron

Rape of a 13 year old?

So no consideration given to the psychological distress that will most likely be visited on the child victim?
    Quite the opposite, want to spare her from the psychological distress that would result from someone already traumatised having an abortion.
  • Options

Mike - in all seriousness, if you want a "less crowded and noisy" venue for the PB Drinks you really need to change the date. It will be murder in any pub in or close to the City.

• Options
    Charles said:

@OldKingCole FPT

It's a really great company - it's first generation products are already on the market in China (for swine FMD). We are about to launch an immunocastration product for boars as well.

On the human side we've focused on Alzheimer's and HIV rather than influenza, primarily because the tender prices in flu are so low that the returns really just don't work.

Quick look; from my nowadays OOD knowledge the Alzheimers product seems as though it might be very promising.World wide, IIRC, preventing amyloid chain formation seems to offer hope.
  • Options

Charles said:

Smarmeron said:

@Smarmeron

Rape of a 13 year old?

Quite the opposite, want to spare her from the psychological distress that would result from someone already traumatised having an abortion.
    I don't think either of us are really qualified to discuss the topic.

But I suspect that most experts would thing that, in this case, bearing the foetus to term (even if adopted immediately) would cause more distress to the child-victim.
  • Options
    edited February 2015

Charles said:

@OldKingCole FPT

Quick look; from my nowadays OOD knowledge the Alzheimers product seems as though it might be very promising.World wide, IIRC, preventing amyloid chain formation seems to offer hope.
    I will be feeling very very smug if it is. It's the largest single investment that I've persuaded my family to make, so success would give them much more confidence to back my ideas in future. I'm reasonably confident that I'll make them 5-6x, if I am really lucky it'll be north of 10x.
  • Options

Apparently Putin is touchy about unfavorable cartoons.

Wonder why?

Secretly Muslim?
  • Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

@OldKingCole FPT

I will be feeling very very smug if it is. It's the largest single investment that I've persuaded my family to make, so success would give them much more confidence to back my ideas in future. I'm reasonably confident that I'll make them 5-6x, if I am really lucky it'll be north of 10x.
    Wish you well, both financially & product-wise!
  • Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Smarmeron said:

@Smarmeron

Rape of a 13 year old?

But I suspect that most experts would thing that, in this case, bearing the foetus to term (even if adopted immediately) would cause more distress to the child-victim.
    Indeed, and seeing as its only responsible for about 0.01% of abortions, raising it in relation to the legality of abortion on demand is a strawman in any case.
  • Options

Charles said:

Charles said:

Smarmeron said:

@Smarmeron

Rape of a 13 year old?

Indeed, and seeing as its only responsible for about 0.01% of abortions, raising it in relation to the legality of abortion on demand is a strawman in any case.
    Not a strawman. A difficult case that needs to be considered, and possibly have different rules applied, but not a strawman.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Smarmeron said:

@Smarmeron

Rape of a 13 year old?

Not a strawman. A difficult case that needs to be considered, and possibly have different rules applied, but not a strawman.
    Rotherham? Rochdale? Oxford?
  • Options
    I expect this was a CIA plot. Or a suicide. Or the unfortunate consequence of an unusually heavy iron shower.
  • Options
    dobbindobbin Posts: 28
    Charles said:

Charles said:

@OldKingCole FPT

The drug industry has poured tens of billions down the drain pursuing the Amyloid hypothesis of Alzheimers disease... the "tangles" camp are possibly pursuing a more fruitful path but the jackpot will only be hit financially and clinically when tests are available to pick up early brain changes in 50 year olds and drugs emerge to slow, halt or reverse the pathological process.
    Hope the company other products have better prospects.

• Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Meanwhile .... I see Mike's thread leader map notes a certain establishment called "Toni & Guy"

"Of all the hair joints in all the towns in all the world, OGH walks into mine. Play it, Sam. Play As Hair Goes By."
  • Options
    dobbin said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

@OldKingCole FPT

The drug industry has poured tens of billions down the drain pursuing the Amyloid hypothesis of Alzheimers disease... the "tangles" camp are possibly pursuing a more fruitful path but the jackpot will only be hit financially and clinically when tests are available to pick up early brain changes in 50 year olds and drugs emerge to slow, halt or reverse the pathological process.

Impressive that you can make that assertion without having looked at the data.
  • Options
    I'm just pondering whether humiliating sports results are good for the SNP or bad.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,477
    edited February 2015
    The Scottish rugby team are giving the worst performance at home against an Italian side since the Battle of Zama
  • Options
    dobbin said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

@OldKingCole FPT

I suspect that a combination of both pathways will be needed. Is it now possible to scan live brains and identify the developing “tangles”? Genuine question; when I was last involved with sort of thing a post-mortem was needed!
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    antifrank said:

I expect this was a CIA plot. Or a suicide. Or the unfortunate consequence of an unusually heavy iron shower.

Many people had interests in getting rid of Nemtsov, I didn't expect a murder outside the Kremlin though.
    If Navalny who's a small fish can be under house arrest, why not Nemtsov?
    His murder is very unusual, nobody had got murdered that close to the Kremlin before, though there was an attempt on Brezhnev in 1969.

The closest analogy is probably the assassination of Jean Jaures who tried to prevent WWI, but was murdered by those who had an interest on the war starting.
  • Options
    @christopherhope: BREAKING Diane James, Ukip's candidate at the Eastleigh by-election, has quit as a candidate at the #GE2015 for "personal reasons"
  • Options
    antifrank said:

I'm opting for suicide by repeatedly shooting himself in the back assisted by Marf and the lizard people of Thanet South (Ukip Branch).

• Options
    antifrank said:

@christopherhope: BREAKING Diane James, Ukip's candidate at the Eastleigh by-election, has quit as a candidate at the #GE2015 for "personal reasons"

I thought she was standing in North Hampshire, which I found odd.
  • Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108

I'm just pondering whether humiliating sports results are good for the SNP or bad.

There has been considerable theorising over the years that the 1979 Devolution Referendum was "lost" because of Scotland's failure to win the 1978 World Cup.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

I didn't know she was selected for a seat.
    One of the things that puzzled me was why she wasn't selected to fight Eastleigh again.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

Are the personal reasons she can't personally stand the cult of Nige ?

• Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    antifrank said:

Quit as PPC or the party?
  • Options
    JackW said:

antifrank said:

UKIP's homage to Game Of Thrones continues.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

She's not standing for Parliament, is she?

Maybe there was a reason why she passed up the Eastleigh gig then.
  • Options

antifrank said:

Quit as PPC or the party?
    PPC I believe.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

antifrank said:

I didn't know she was selected for a seat.
    One of the things that puzzled me was why she wasn't selected to fight Eastleigh again.
    She dared to overshadow our Nige.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Its really odd because she just made a good speech in the UKIP conference today.

Isabel Hardman ‏@IsabelHardman 5h5 hours ago
    Diane James giving a speech that's much better than the sort of thing many junior ministers produce #UKIPSpring

Clearly something happened in those 4 hours between her speech and her decision to withdraw.
  • Options

antifrank said:

She was PPC for North West Hampshire.
  • Options
    Apologies if posted earlier.

George Galloway has ordered lawyers to issue Twitter users who alleged he was an anti-Semite with letters demanding £5,000 and threatening legal action.

The Bradford West MP has reportedly singled out up to a dozen people, including some who had only re-tweeted other posts and a charity worker with just 75 followers.

The letters, seen by The Times, were issued by Bradford-based Chambers Solicitors. They said the recipient was “required” to pay legal costs of £5,000 plus VAT into a HSBC bank account by 10 March.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/george-galloway-demanding-5000-from-twitter-users-over-antisemitism-libel-10077205.html
  • Options
    antifrank said:

antifrank said:

She was PPC for North West Hampshire.
    Thanks Antifrank. I didn't know that.

Odd choice. All very curious.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    antifrank said:

JackW said:

antifrank said:

UKIP's homage to Game Of Thrones continues.
    You might think that, I couldn't possibly comment ....

However I think she should avoid any roof top assignations in the near future .... or walks close to the Kremlin !!

• Options
    Speedy said:

Its really odd because she just made a good speech in the UKIP conference today.

Isabel Hardman ‏@IsabelHardman 5h5 hours ago
    Diane James giving a speech that's much better than the sort of thing many junior ministers produce #UKIPSpring

Clearly something happened in those 4 hours between her speech and her decision to withdraw.

4 hours is a long time in Ukip politics.

• Options
    dobbindobbin Posts: 28

dobbin said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

@OldKingCole FPT

I suspect that a combination of both pathways will be needed. Is it now possible to scan live brains and identify the developing “tangles”? Genuine question; when I was last involved with sort of thing a post-mortem was needed!
    Not outwith super high powered research centres and still very experimental. However the Death Knell for Amyloid was when Amyloid scanning became more widely available and used particularly in States in large scale population studies started throwing up significant numbers of patients who all agreed were developing Alzheimers but had no significant Amyloid on scan--- SNAP, significant non Amyloid pathology. Was at IPA in Seoul in 2014 and my take from meeting was that game was up for Amyloid but many of the Academic Empires built on it had heads deep in sand.......? a risk fator for Alzheimers!
  • Options
    edited February 2015

George Galloway has ordered lawyers to issue Twitter users who alleged he was an anti-Semite with letters demanding £5,000 and threatening legal action.

The Bradford West MP has reportedly singled out up to a dozen people, including some who had only re-tweeted other posts and a charity worker with just 75 followers.

The letters, seen by The Times, were issued by Bradford-based Chambers Solicitors. They said the recipient was “required” to pay legal costs of £5,000 plus VAT into a HSBC bank account by 10 March.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/george-galloway-demanding-5000-from-twitter-users-over-antisemitism-libel-10077205.html

Are twitter accounts available for everyone to read?
    If they are, then how do you prove or disprove that said person is an anti-semite?

Unfortunately twitter falls onto the same category as PB.com, but twitter doesn't have moderators to protect its site or its users.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    A definite loss for UKIP, but the show rolls on.
  • Options
    edited February 2015

Oooooooooo.... What with this news and the news that Jacks ARSE will be making a rare weekend appearance I think I might faint with excitement. :open_mouth:
  • Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108

If he is only seeking costs, is George himself acknowledging the likelihood of a £1 damages award?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

She wouldn't have won N.E Hampshire, but she could have won Eastleigh for UKIP.
    The worse thing is that it creates a pattern, "the higher someone rises in UKIP the harder they fall" is beginning to become a law of UKIP mechanics.
  • Options
    dobbin said:

dobbin said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

@OldKingCole FPT

Not outwith super high powered research centres and still very experimental. However the Death Knell for Amyloid was when Amyloid scanning became more widely available and used particularly in States in large scale population studies started throwing up significant numbers of patients who all agreed were developing Alzheimers but had no significant Amyloid on scan--- SNAP, significant non Amyloid pathology. Was at IPA in Seoul in 2014 and my take from meeting was that game was up for Amyloid but many of the Academic Empires built on it had heads deep in sand.......? a risk fator for Alzheimers!
    I’m obliged; I do now recall reading something to that effect. As I move towards the end of my seventh decade I’m a little nervous about reading too much about the ageing process!
    Of course the whole area is littered with possibles, maybes and other confounders.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930
    Wonder why Diane James quit? Maybe it really was "personal reasons" as she just gave a speech at the UKIP spring conference.

Maybe she will be elevated to mythical status on here now? I seem to remember she was the butt of all jokes after she appeared on This Week and said UKIP could win 40 odd seats
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Pulpstar said:

The worse thing is that it creates a pattern, "the higher someone rises in UKIP the harder they fall" is beginning to become a law of UKIP mechanics.
    Do you think her speech at conference was *too* good? Added to her strong performance coming out of Eastleigh and her appeal across class and gender...
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Oooooooooo.... What with this news and the news that Jacks ARSE will be making a rare weekend appearance I think I might faint with excitement. :open_mouth:
    On a point of clarity before you reach for the smelling salts might I advise you and the wider PB cognoscenti that from next week through to election day my ARSE will be on view on each Tuesday and Saturday for the admiration, enlightenment and pleasure of its' aficionados.

• Options
    Charles said:

Speedy said:

Pulpstar said:

Do you think her speech at conference was *too* good? Added to her strong performance coming out of Eastleigh and her appeal across class and gender...
    Almost on demand...

"Maybe she will be elevated to mythical status on here now?"

"Do you think her speech at conference was *too* good? Added to her strong performance coming out of Eastleigh and her appeal across class and gender... "
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    edited February 2015

The Scottish rugby team are giving the worst performance at home against an Italian side since the Battle of Zama

Didn't Scotland self destruct in 20 mins in recent match against Italy a few years ago?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/scottish/6389855.stm

Looks as if the rot set in after 18 secs.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    isam said:

Wonder why Diane James quit? Maybe it really was "personal reasons" as she just gave a speech at the UKIP spring conference.

Maybe she will be elevated to mythical status on here now? I seem to remember she was the butt of all jokes after she appeared on This Week and said UKIP could win 40 odd seats

The local newspaper's first report points to something like the local party being in meltdown this week :
    http://www.andoverandvillages.co.uk/andover-news-in-andover-and-villages/1797-ukip-s-diane-james-stands-down-as-local-candidate
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,307
    Just watched the highlights of the Australia New Zealand match. Best ODI ever? Definitely a contender.
  • Options
    JackW said:

GIN1138 said:

On a point of clarity before you reach for the smelling salts might I advise you and the wider PB cognoscenti that from next week through to election day my ARSE will be on view on each Tuesday and Saturday for the admiration, enlightenment and pleasure of its' aficionados.

May I also suggest we need an "eve of poll" ARSE appearance on Wednesday 6th May at around 10pm?
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,288
    edited February 2015
    GIN1138 said:

I expect very bad polls for Con tonight.

The second jobs issue looked bad and it was then compounded by a disastrous BBC1 Question Time - Q1 Immigration, Q2 Second Jobs and then worst of all someone in the audience with very good communication skills said they would never vote Con again due to MPs getting a 10% pay rise. It was very strongly implied that this had been implemented by the Conservatives - ie Conservatives giving MPs a huge pay rise whilst implementing austerity on everyone else - as toxic as you could possibly get.

Shapps said no but far, far too quickly and not clearly enough for the TV audience to register.

It was the single most damaging hour of TV for the Conservatives in the last few years.

Con have definitely gone backwards this week.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

JackW said:

GIN1138 said:

May I also suggest we need an "eve of poll" ARSE appearance on Wednesday 6th May at around 10pm?
    I shall give your interesting request some further thought.

However excessive exposure of my ARSE is liable to lead to over familiarity and a sense of entitlement and I'm wary lest it be seen as some form of PB benefit to certain scroungers herewith. :smile:

• Options
    MikeL said:

GIN1138 said:

The second jobs issue looked bad and it was then compounded by a disastrous BBC1 Question Time - Q1 Immigration, Q2 Second Jobs and then worst of all someone in the audience with very good communication skills said they would never vote Con again due to MPs getting a 10% pay rise - it was strongly implied that this had been done by the Conservatives. Shapps said no but far, far too quickly and not clearly enough for the TV audience to register. It was the single most damaging hour of TV for the Conservatives in the last few years.

I really don't think enough people watch Question Time to make any difference to national voting intention opinion polls...

• Options
    Scotland just can't do a scrum without giving away a penalty. It is going to cost them the game.
  • Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012
    isam said:

You need to spend more time wondering why UKIPs friend just had his leading political opponent murdered.
    http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/mar/31/farage-i-admire-putin
    ''Nigel Farage has named Vladimir Putin as the world leader he most admires... ''
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,001
    isam said:

I think Diane James could have won Eastleigh, if she'd stood there. Without her, it'll probably a LibDem hold.
  • Options

Wait: so cartoon about the Prophet Mohammed = free speech. Cartoon about the Profit Putin = warmongering?
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    GIN1138 said:

MikeL said:

GIN1138 said:

The second jobs issue looked bad and it was then compounded by a disastrous BBC1 Question Time - Q1 Immigration, Q2 Second Jobs and then worst of all someone in the audience with very good communication skills said they would never vote Con again due to MPs getting a 10% pay rise - it was strongly implied that this had been done by the Conservatives. Shapps said no but far, far too quickly and not clearly enough for the TV audience to register. It was the single most damaging hour of TV for the Conservatives in the last few years.

I really don't think enough people watch Question Time to make any difference to national voting intention opinion polls...

It's almost 3m - the vast majority of whom will vote. And they will speak to their partners, parents, children, friends etc.

I realise it's only one programme and most things go in one ear and out the other. But even so this was so unbelievably toxic that it will have done significant damage.

What is shocking is that Shapps handled it so badly - to just contradict the audience member in about 6 words spoken almost under his breath in 3 seconds was absolutely hopeless. He should have made it very, very clear that what had been said was not true and he simply didn't do so.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    JackW said:

GIN1138 said:

JackW said:

GIN1138 said:

However excessive exposure of my ARSE is liable to lead to over familiarity and a sense of entitlement and I'm wary lest it be seen as some form of PB benefit to certain scroungers herewith. :smile:

You certainly don't want people becoming too demanding when it comes to getting a piece of your ARSE.

Must say I'm very surprised your getting your ARSE out every Saturday from next week through to the election as I was lead to believe you spent weekends drinking G & T's and playing Rummy at Chez Jack?

• Options

[THIS IS A JOKE, AND I DO NOT BELIEVE THAT GEORGE GALLOWAY IS AN ANTI-SEMITE]

Apparently, he's demanding that people describe him as a "rabid anti-semite" in future.

• Options
    edited February 2015
    MikeL said:

GIN1138 said:

MikeL said:

GIN1138 said:

It's almost 3m -

I'm amazed it's that high actually! :open_mouth:

• Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,755
    edited February 2015
    rcs1000 said:

Wait: so cartoon about the Prophet Mohammed = free speech. Cartoon about the Profit Putin = warmongering?
    As an aside I do sometimes wonder if we ditch the EU if we'll end up on better terms with Russia as a balance to Germany. Historically we've been there several times before despite the huge differences in outlook.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

dobbin said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

@OldKingCole FPT

Modern imaging does constantly increase resolution, so may well be feasible by the time the drug is through phase III.

While multi-infarct dementia is often casually referred to as Alzheimers potentially the market for true alzheimers is vast, and the potential benefit to the world is incalcuable.

The real answer to much of the social care/ chronic ill health issue will come from big pharma. The rest of us are chasing the horse long after it has bolted.

I hope Charles has a very good profit out of a very successful drug, and can afford the Mansion tax for the whole of Belgravia!
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

[THIS IS A JOKE, AND I DO NOT BELIEVE THAT GEORGE GALLOWAY IS AN ANTI-SEMITE]

Apparently, he's demanding that people describe him as a "rabid anti-semite" in future.

Where is that particular HSBC located? Or shouldn’t I ask?
  • Options
    JackW said:

GIN1138 said:

Jack W - will there be a regular time for this - there are so many posts on here now that it takes an enormous amount of time having to go through entire threads.
  • Options

isam said:

You need to spend more time wondering why UKIPs friend just had his leading political opponent murdered.
    http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/mar/31/farage-i-admire-putin
    ''Nigel Farage has named Vladimir Putin as the world leader he most admires... ''
    ?

No I don't!
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    DavidL said:

Scotland just can't do a scrum without giving away a penalty. It is going to cost them the game.

You are right - and two sent off in the last 4 minutes.
  • Options
    Oh damn.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Cheating Scots got their just deserts.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

isam said:

I think Diane James could have won Eastleigh, if she'd stood there. Without her, it'll probably a LibDem hold.
    Yes surprising she wasn't going to stand there.. I don't know why.

I like her, unlike the PBers who slagged her off after she appeared on This Week, I think she is quite good. Hope she hasn't left UKIP and this is just a temporary thing
  • Options
    Scotland crush Italy in losing 20:19 and ensure our cunning plan to lull teams into a devastating false sense of security ahead of the World Cup is well in place.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,755
    Pulpstar said:

Cheating Scots got their just deserts.

Atacama ? Gobi ? Kalahari ?
  • Options
    isam said:

Charles said:

Speedy said:

Pulpstar said:

Almost on demand...

"Maybe she will be elevated to mythical status on here now?"

"Do you think her speech at conference was *too* good? Added to her strong performance coming out of Eastleigh and her appeal across class and gender... "
    No really - just saying what I think.

I remember being relatively impressed at Eastleigh, but haven't paid much attention to her since.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

JackW said:

GIN1138 said:

JackW said:

GIN1138 said:

You certainly don't want people becoming too demanding when it comes to getting a piece of your ARSE.

Must say I'm very surprised your getting your ARSE out every Saturday from next week through to the election as I was lead to believe you spent weekends drinking G & T's and playing Rummy at Chez Jack?

One has to do ones PB duty and give up such guilty pleasures for the benefit of the masses.

• Options
    MikeL said:

JackW said:

GIN1138 said:

Jack W - will there be a regular time for this - there are so many posts on here now that it takes an enormous amount of time having to go through entire threads.
    9:00am unless previously notified.

• Options

rcs1000 said:

As an aside I do sometimes wonder if we ditch the EU if we'll end up on better terms with Russia as a balance to Germany. Historically we've been there several times before despite the huge differences in outlook.
    Not as along as Putin is in charge. I think anyone seeking to forge closer ties with Russia under his rule will get their fingers burnt.
This discussion has been closed.