Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Marf on Jihadi John and the afternoon round-up

Comments

• Options
    Scott_P said:

@TelePolitics: Nigel Farage Ukip conference gatecrashed by Nazi dancers http://t.co/OB8ztv7NR5

I think Mike beat you to it in the thread header!
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,302
    edited February 2015
    Ed Miliband said it himself that 75% of students wont repay their student loan....so by cutting fees to £6000, he is giving a tax cut to the 25% who will benefited the most from their uni education. Seems a bit of the wrong way around to me.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,018
    MTimT said:

Neil said:

MTimT said:

Can't help myself. This one is for HYUFD - Christie is political toast:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/26/opinion/gail-collins-adieu-chris-christie-adieu.html?ref=todayspaper

Tsk @MTimT I posted that yesterday ;)

The Times sure seems to have it in for Christie though.

Sorry, wasn't around yesterday. Yes, the NYT will have it in for any GOP candidate who they fear could compete with Hillary in the GE. It is entirely partisan in that respect.

But it is a very valid point that Christie shot to fame as someone to take on the unions and fix the budget problems arising from pensions and mandated benefits and that now that storyline is falling apart, particularly as Walker has risen with a far more compelling version of the same story AND has strong real conservative credentials. It perhaps makes Walker less attractive in the GE, but makes it a lot more likely that he can prevail in the primaries.
    Like a bridge over troubles waters...
  • Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    @Sunil_Prasannan
    A twit can never re-tweet enough?
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    TOPPING said:

The politics of Ed's announcement are a bit odd. If we assume for the sake of argument that the tax-increase side is correct, i.e. that they could raise £3bn from their pension raid, then spending that money on reducing the contribution which well-off graduates will in the future have to make to their university education is an interesting priority at a time of tough spending decisions.

By being one, do I really constantly have to remind people on here about how idiots see this?

We are lowering the cost of going to University. For poorer people. For young, poorer people.

Ta-daaarh!

You can take your Mr Lewises and your fiscal implications and your marginal tax rates and your propensity to earn and stick them where the sun don't shine.
    You suggesting idiots vote for Labour ?
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

The politics of Ed's announcement are a bit odd. If we assume for the sake of argument that the tax-increase side is correct, i.e. that they could raise £3bn from their pension raid, then spending that money on reducing the contribution which well-off graduates will in the future have to make to their university education is an interesting priority at a time of tough spending decisions.

I think they are relying on people not doing the math.

Essentially, they are raiding the well-off for up to £3bn

They are spending it on something nice and fluffy that they hope will win them votes.

But the "spending" doesn't actually cost them anything new in cash terms...which in their mad world allows them to spend it again on something else that is nice and fluffy.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Charles said:

Pulpstar said:

So when I edit PB, does this give me an excuse to embed pictures of pretty ladies in hot pants?

The Producers sounds like a play with a very poor taste theme. Doubt it'll do very well at the box office - wouldn't like to be a backer of it personally.
    I'm assuming you are being sarcastic?

After 33 previews, the original Broadway production opened at the St. James Theatre on April 19, 2001, starring Nathan Lane and Matthew Broderick, and ran for 2,502 performances, winning a record-breaking 12 Tony Awards.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Producers_(musical)
    So what you're saying is that despite the poor taste theme about nazis, The Producers did much better than Pulpstar suggested and didn't lose its backers money after all? How unexpected, somebody should write a play about that!
    Hurrah !
    Hey, you kids must be very young!

Anybody of my generation will remember Mel Brookes' film as one of the funniest and most cutting comedies ever to hit the silver screen. (It was made in 1968 and yes it was a Talkie.)

If you haven't seen it, just get a copy and watch. You won't regret it.
    Was remade as a musical film in 2005. Brooks was screenwriter and song-writer
  • Options
    @Charles
    "Essentially, they are raiding the well-off for up to £3bn"
    How very dare they, Money should come from the bottom!
    How much is Ozzie going to cut the social security budget by?
  • Options
    Neil said:

Neil said:

Labour screwing the private sector once again.

Ros Altmann‏@rosaltmann·14m14 minutes ago
    Calcns used for final salary-type pensions allow members £50kpa pension (20x£50k=£1m) but DC members need £2m for £50k jtlife infln annuity

Labour doing exactly the same thing Osborne did to the private sector once again.

Doesn't make it right.
    It's just a less partisan way of putting it.
    Yes but it is fair to be a partisan point as it's a cut not proposed by the Tories but by Labour and to a level even worse than that set by the blues. The gesture politics on the £150k thing is just bollocks.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,154

Smarmeron said:

@Pulpstar
    I have no idea about the content, but the cast list looks interesting?

If you have never seen The Producers, you simply must. It's a truly brilliant comedy.

Amongst its many virtues is the ruthlessness with which it kicks political correctness into the long grass and stamps it mercilessly into the dirt.
    I don't remember that bit
    I don't know how you can forget such deathless lines as:

"Don't be dumb, be a smarty
    Come and join the Nazi Party"

Lethal.
    Hitler screaming "I just want a little peace..."

"A little piece of Poland, a little piece of France...."
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,463
    TGOHF said:

TOPPING said:

By being one, do I really constantly have to remind people on here about how idiots see this?

We are lowering the cost of going to University. For poorer people. For young, poorer people.

Ta-daaarh!

You can take your Mr Lewises and your fiscal implications and your marginal tax rates and your propensity to earn and stick them where the sun don't shine.
    First, yes.

Secondly, I am making the subsidiary point that the Great British Public scrutinise and analyse such policies for about 1/1,000,000,000th of a moment. And it's the headlines that matter.
  • Options
    Scrap tuition fees, scrap inheritance tax, scrap foreign aid, scrap High Speed 2, scrap Trident.

That lot should all probably pay for itself in the round ;)
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,645
    UK management does not understand intellectual property rights very well. When I started at Sony it was the same with Japanese management, it has been drilled into them over the last few years how important protecting company IP is from predatory companies like Apple in jurisdictions where prior art has become meaningless (the US) so it's comforting to see Japan higher up the list than what I remember in 2009. Sony specifically is very good at exploiting its vast patent portfolio but that is a recent development based on practices in SCA rolled out to the rest of the company.

I just hope that BIS does the same as the Japanese commerce department and drills UK management on the importance of IP rights and filing early and often.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    TOPPING said:

TGOHF said:

TOPPING said:

Ta-daaarh!

First, yes.

Secondly, I am making the subsidiary point that the Great British Public scrutinise and analyse such policies for about 1/1,000,000,000th of a moment. And it's the headlines that matter.
    I don't disagree, but it is interested despite the massive misrepresentation of what the current system involved at the time of its introduction, with huge amount of shouting about screwing the poor...it seems that the message of how it actually works has got through to all students, and not least ones from poorer backgrounds i.e. you are only actually going to pay back based upon you future success and there is no upfront fee.

However, I am sure this new wheeze will get equally poor reporting and all we will hear is fee cut, fee cut...
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Scrap tuition fees, scrap inheritance tax, scrap foreign aid, scrap High Speed 2, scrap Trident.

Does foreign aid include the £10bn (net) we give to the relatively well-off countries of the EU? :)
  • Options

Smarmeron said:

@Pulpstar

If you have never seen The Producers, you simply must. It's a truly brilliant comedy.

Amongst its many virtues is the ruthlessness with which it kicks political correctness into the long grass and stamps it mercilessly into the dirt.

Lethal.

Sadly, one has to be a little careful quoting some of these glorious lines. Taken out of context, they can sound dreadful, but of course in context the deliciousness of the irony is exquisite.

Glad you've had the pleasure too.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034

Pulpstar said:

Charles said:

Pulpstar said:

So when I edit PB, does this give me an excuse to embed pictures of pretty ladies in hot pants?

The Producers sounds like a play with a very poor taste theme. Doubt it'll do very well at the box office - wouldn't like to be a backer of it personally.

After 33 previews, the original Broadway production opened at the St. James Theatre on April 19, 2001, starring Nathan Lane and Matthew Broderick, and ran for 2,502 performances, winning a record-breaking 12 Tony Awards.

So what you're saying is that despite the poor taste theme about nazis, The Producers did much better than Pulpstar suggested and didn't lose its backers money after all? How unexpected, somebody should write a play about that!
    Hurrah !

Anybody of my generation will remember Mel Brookes' film as one of the funniest and most cutting comedies ever to hit the silver screen. (It was made in 1968 and yes it was a Talkie.)

The original was so good I would never watch the remake.

"Spring time, for Hitler and Germany. Deutschland is happy and gay"

"Spring time, for Hitler and Germany. Winter for Poland and France" ...

Brillant!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHmYIo7bcUw
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291

Smarmeron said:

@Pulpstar

Lethal.

Will the dancing Hitlers please wait in the wings? We are only seeing singing Hitlers.
  • Options
    @FrancisUrquhart
    "you are only actually going to pay back based upon you future success"

The Tories brought in an anti aspirational system?
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,770
    edited February 2015

But a system based on the assumption that half the stated debt will never be paid back is essentially dumb in an entirely non-political way.

Why? It's just a question of terminology. If you call it (as Martin Lewis sensibly suggests) a 'high-earning graduate contribution', it makes good sense.
    I understood we already had a system whereby high earning graduates made a contibutiuon. It's called higher rate taxation and goes up to 45% of salary.

Why should people under 25 have to pay this tax and further 9% ?
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Does foreign aid include the £10bn (net) we give to the relatively well-off countries of the EU? :)
    Yep we can chuck that on the bonfire too.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    For their Next conference - a revival of this stunt from The Blues Brothers.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktmNEWwH69s
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

@Charles Reread my posts and have a good think about the plot of "The Producers" ;)

Well I did wonder if your avatar was a character ;)
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

@FrancisUrquhart
    "you are only actually going to pay back based upon you future success"

The Tories brought in an anti aspirational system?

No that would be a perpetual graduate tax, the current system is a capped graduate tax with the cap set at around £45,000. Given that most will only pay back £27-30k of their loan amount Ed is proposing a tax cut for the richest graduates. It literally makes no sense from a leftist point of view.
  • Options

But a system based on the assumption that half the stated debt will never be paid back is essentially dumb in an entirely non-political way.

Why? It's just a question of terminology. If you call it (as Martin Lewis sensibly suggests) a 'high-earning graduate contribution', it makes good sense.
    I understood we already had a system whereby high earning graduates made a contibutiuon. It's called higher rate taxation and goes up to 45% of salary.

Because they're benefiting from a university education.

New Labour introduced the crackpot "50%" target. And noone has the heart or sense to get rid of it.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,463

TOPPING said:

TGOHF said:

TOPPING said:

Ta-daaarh!

First, yes.

I don't disagree, but it is interested despite the massive misrepresentation of what the current system involved at the time of its introduction, with huge amount of shouting about screwing the poor...it seems that the message of how it actually works has got through to all students, and not least ones from poorer backgrounds i.e. you are only actually going to pay back based upon you future success and there is no upfront fee.

However, I am sure this new wheeze will get equally poor reporting and all we will hear is fee cut, fee cut...
    I think a bold move by GO (and not possible right at this moment) is to reduce the thresholds of salary for payback. He has in effect created an ATM and can draw it down when the Cons' political capital is a bit stronger.

"Why should high-earning graduates with good jobs be exempt from sharing the burden...etc..etc"

Would infuriate Cons supporters (ie whose children are due to become those high-earners) but might be smart politics at the right time.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Charles said:

Pulpstar said:

Hurrah !

See the original if you can.

There is one shot in which the camera pans along the front row of the mortified audience watching the appalling production. They are all slack-jawed in horror at what they are seeing on the stage, until you get to the writer himself dressed in full Nazi regalia and wearing a tin-hat and broad grin.

One of the great pan shots of all time.
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460

Labour screwing the private sector once again.

Ros Altmann‏@rosaltmann·14m14 minutes ago
    Calcns used for final salary-type pensions allow members £50kpa pension (20x£50k=£1m) but DC members need £2m for £50k jtlife infln annuity

Yeah I thought there was some sleight of hand there. So assuming Ms Altmann's right (she usually is!) if you've been saving diligently to a DC scheme for decades, Ed's intending to disadvantage you compared to DB schemes, which are virtually all in the public sector of course because Govts of all stripes have made life so ridiculously complex and expensive that they've ceased to exist in the private sector.

Just like brother Gordon he can't help himself when faced with the temptation of other people's savings.

• Options
    The 45 raise £45k in half a day for Wings over Somerset.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/let-s-carry-on-for-a-bit

Some of you guys with big SNP books might want to sling the rev a couple of ecumenical quid. I'm sure he'll be doing his bit for the cause.
  • Options
    However mad our tuition fees policy and its (non) repayment is - it's only a fraction of the insanity in the USA, simply becasue uni is WAY more expensive there. The student debt bubble is approaching bank / credit bubble in size and it is seriously non performing.

Here a hardworking student can work part time (pulling pints in the evening, as an Uber driver, zero hours contractor or whatever) and eat a big chunk out of their student loan as they go. It is possible to get a debt free degree.
  • Options
    @MaxPB
    Very little of what governments do makes much sense.
    A governments main function is to gain and retain power.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

New Labour introduced the crackpot "50%" target. And noone has the heart or sense to get rid of it.
    How can that be, Cameron has been taking tough decisions for 5 years now ?
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034

Pulpstar said:

Charles said:

Pulpstar said:

Hurrah !

There is one shot in which the camera pans along the front row of the mortified audience watching the appalling production. They are all slack-jawed in horror at what they are seeing on the stage, until you get to the writer himself dressed in full Nazi regalia and wearing a tin-hat and broad grin.

PtP I posted the link to the video of that song and the pan shot below.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,060
    edited February 2015
    Comfort polling?

Douglas Carswell MP@DouglasCarswell · 2h 2 hours ago
    They might sneer in SW1. But in Thanet, Ukip has an 11 point lead .....

Or maybe not.

Andrew Cooper @AndrewCooper__
    The Survation poll in S.Thanet showing Farage ahead says nearly twice as many people voted UKIP there in 2010 as actually did #roguepoll
    Retweeted by Stephen Tall
  • Options

Some of you guys with big SNP books might want to sling the rev a couple of ecumenical quid. I'm sure he'll be doing his bit for the cause.

will he be standing in Bath ?

He might as well.
  • Options
    FalseFlagFalseFlag Posts: 1,801
    edited February 2015
    Pulpstar said:

Shame no one taught you that no one can be hyphenated but that it is never one word.
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    Smarmeron said:

@Charles

The point is it's in the State's interest to encourage the virtuous behaviour of pension saving so as not to be a burden on the self same State in future decades. Both main parties (yes the Tories screwed up on this in the 80's by not allowing pensions to be overfunded as it might be seen as tax avoidance), but especially Labour under Blair and Brown (and now probably Ed) have made this virtuous activity ever more difficult as they keep putting their sticky fingers in for money in the here and now for whatever the latest pet cause is.

• Options
    edited February 2015
    Smarmeron said:

@MaxPB
    Very little of what governments do makes much sense.
    A governments main function is to gain and retain power.

But Ed Miliband isn't in government and this proposal goes against everything Labour stands for. The current loan/capped tax system is quite progressive so the richest graduates pay back the most money and the lower earners don't. The headlines are surely not worth giving lawyers, dentists, doctors and bankers a £15,000 tax cut?

It's a lot like Labour introducing tax credits for working people. It is state sponsored corporate subsidisation of low wages. It makes no sense to let companies off the hook so they can get away with paying less than a real living wage.
  • Options
    nu123nu123 Posts: 25
    "Calculations based on a small sample of four comparable contests during February suggest a 3.7 per cent projected Conservative margin over Labour."

Swing-back is happening....

Its just happening very late in the day..
  • Options
    Hengists_GiftHengists_Gift Posts: 628
    edited February 2015

Comfort polling?

Or maybe not.

The Survation poll in S.Thanet showing Farage ahead says nearly twice as many people voted UKIP there in 2010 as actually did #roguepoll

Is that Populus boy and Tory stooge Andrew Cooper (recently made Lord Cooper of Windrush courtesy of David Cameron) by any chance that is casting aspersions on Survation's polling methods?

Dog fight in the polling industry?
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    This is one of Marf's best. Might even make an offer for it!
  • Options
    @MaxPB
    Not in government = try to gain power
    In government = try to retain power
    Any useful laws and acts are merely a coincidence of trying to solve the above.
    It is of course insane, but it is what we get.
  • Options
    nu123nu123 Posts: 25
    The polls are not reliable since we have not really been in this situation before (Con-LiB coalition), looking at real results it does not look like Labour are making enough head way. They should be ahead in local by-elections even if Labour voters don't normally turnout if the government isn't being decided.

• Options
    Smarmeron said:

@MaxPB

But I thought Miliband was a man of great principle....not like all those other politicians that just want power?
  • Options
    JohnO said:

Nowhere near as good as your report on tennis in Surrey.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Smarmeron said:

@MaxPB

I'm not arguing against that point, the system is highly flawed, what I am saying is I don't understand Ed giving rich graduates a £15k tax cut. It goes against everything both he and Labour stand for. Even the smallest amount of critical thinking and people will realise that this is a regressive policy.
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    edited February 2015
    welshowl said:

Smarmeron said:

@Charles

The point is it's in the State's interest to encourage the virtuous behaviour of pension saving so as not to be a burden on the self same State in future decades. Both main parties (yes the Tories screwed up on this in the 80's by not allowing pensions to be overfunded as it might be seen as tax avoidance), but especially Labour under Blair and Brown (and now probably Ed) have made this virtuous activity ever more difficult as they keep putting their sticky fingers in for money in the here and now for whatever the latest pet cause is.

As Miliband himself said, this idea is only for the manifesto and will be re-examined later. Read into that what you will.

Regardless, it does increasingly look as if most pensions are for mugs.
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

@Charles

Stop putting words into my mouth.

• Options

will he be standing in Bath ?

He might as well.
    I don't think the rev would have the requisite emollience for a candidate standing in Govan let alone Bath.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

Pulpstar said:

Charles said:

Pulpstar said:

Hurrah !

PtP I posted the link to the video of that song and the pan shot below.

Thanks Tim. Just watch it and found it just as funny as ever.

Timeless wit.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,012

Pulpstar said:

Charles said:

Pulpstar said:

Hurrah !

There's also a great Busby Berkeley-type shot from the air of all the dancers whirling round in the shape of a black Swastika.

The Nazi girls in the photograph look rather attractive. Some delegates must be getting hot under the collar.

• Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    FalseFlag said:

Pulpstar said:

Shame no one taught you that no one can be hyphenated but that it is never one word.
    Your second "no one" should be in quotation marks, and "noöne" is legitimate though old-fashioned.

Not as easy as it looks, this pedantry stuff.
  • Options

Comfort polling?

Or maybe not.

Is that Populus boy and Tory stooge Andrew Cooper (recently made Lord Cooper of Windrush courtesy of David Cameron) by any chance that is casting aspersions on Survation's polling methods?

Who paid for the Thanet poll ?
  • Options
    @MichaelLCrick: Ukip deputy chairman says Ukip would save between £3bn & £8bn from budgets for Scotland & Wales by scrapping the Barnett formula
  • Options
    @DPJHodges: Comres poll for ITV News. 44% of people believe Ukip is a racist party.
  • Options

Comfort polling?

Or maybe not.

Populus mostly give Labour leads (apart from the odd tie, like Monday).
  • Options
    Hengists_GiftHengists_Gift Posts: 628
    edited February 2015
    TGOHF said:

Comfort polling?

Or maybe not.

Who paid for the Thanet poll ?
    It's no secret Alan Bown did.(its all over the Survation web release of it)......
  • Options
    @Charles
    "Stop putting words into my mouth."
    I didn't. I made a statement then asked you a question to clarify your position on the matter.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Pulpstar said:

Charles said:

Pulpstar said:

Hurrah !

The Nazi girls in the photograph look rather attractive. Some delegates must be getting hot under the collar.
    I also thought that about the kipper's in attendance. Hope they have CPR machines near to hand?
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

@DPJHodges: Comres poll for ITV News. 44% of people believe Ukip is a racist party.

Did it indicate how many of those thought it a good thing?
  • Options
    So, what if Osborne stands up at budget and announces the same higher tax payer changes ( or similar) but that the money saved is either used for the defecit or for a tax cut for middle incomes? Can Labour stick with a policy for low voters or folk who are 75%+ chance of voting.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Pulpstar said:

Charles said:

Pulpstar said:

T

There's also a great Busby Berkeley-type shot from the air of all the dancers whirling round in the shape of a black Swastika.

Sean_F said:

Pulpstar said:

Charles said:

Pulpstar said:

Soa pans along the front row of the mortified audience watching the appalling production. They are all slack-jawed in horror at what they are seeing on the stage, until you get to the writer himself dressed in full Nazi regalia and wearing a tin-hat and broad grin.

Sure you're right, Sean, but then how many of them will have seen me in my thigh-high boots?
  • Options
    edited February 2015

Sean_F said:

Pulpstar said:

Charles said:

Pulpstar said:

Hurrah !

I also thought that about the kipper's in attendance. Hope they have CPR machines near to hand?
    Helmer's probably asked one for a cheeky massage. And received a slap.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

It is rather similar to the Com Res numbers who say that UKIP have the best policy on immigration.
  • Options
    edited February 2015

JohnO said:

The seven words that I now live in mortal dread of hearing:

"John, you must make a site visit".

• Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293

So, what if Osborne stands up at budget and announces the same higher tax payer changes ( or similar) but that the money saved is either used for the defecit or for a tax cut for middle incomes? Can Labour stick with a policy for low voters or folk who are 75%+ chance of voting.

When Darling did something similar with Inheritance Tax, it didnt really come out as a masterstroke. It just looked desperate and a bit me-too..
  • Options

Comfort polling?

Or maybe not.

So what is the relevance of that. Did I even mention Populus's polls?
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Pulpstar said:

Charles said:

Pulpstar said:

Hurrah !

Springtime for Farage?
  • Options

Comfort polling?

Or maybe not.

Strangely, they haven't put the Conservatives ahead since August, when, in general, they were giving Labour bigger leads.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    PS But a new urban slang [is that the phrase?] is born.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    JohnO said:

JohnO said:

I'd have thought could you make up a foursome at the tennis club might be worse :-)
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    JohnO said:

JohnO said:

"Don't forget your racket".
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Pulpstar said:

Charles said:

Pulpstar said:

Hurrah !

Springtime for Farage?
    Is that really the best you can do?
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,373
    edited February 2015
    Sean_F said:

TGOHF said:

It is rather similar to the Com Res numbers who say that UKIP have the best policy on immigration.
    Back on topic (kind of) and Mike's picture of the Producers girls, I should think the publicity will do the Kippers no harm at all.

UKIP has a massive advantage over the other Parties in respect of its ability to take a joke, and laugh at itself at times. If anybody seriously thought they were the National Socialists in disguise, it wouldn't be funny. They aren't, so it is.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Pulpstar said:

Charles said:

Pulpstar said:

Hurrah !

Springtime for Farage?
    Springtime for Farage: A Gay Romp with Nigel and Suzanne at Margate
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    I *DETEST* the Mel Brookes version. I saw it under duress on Drury Lane back in about 2005 and it was FABULOUS.

I LOL like a drain. I was converted, I still hate Mel Brookes.
    Charles said:

Pulpstar said:

• Options
    Sean_F said:

Comfort polling?

Or maybe not.

Strangely, they haven't put the Conservatives ahead since August, when, in general, they were giving Labour bigger leads.
    Indeed, just two Tory leads in August, and one in May. None this year.
  • Options
    Plato said:

I *DETEST* the Mel Brookes version. I saw it under duress on Drury Lane back in about 2005 and it was FABULOUS.

Charles said:

Pulpstar said:

They are all Mel Brooks versions :)
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Walker's union busting narrative falls apart due to him exempting those unions that backed his election campaign.

He's okay as a big fish in a small pond. No chance on the national stage.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Pulpstar said:

Charles said:

Pulpstar said:

Hurrah !

or looking for the 3rd wife?
    http://www.rogerhelmermep.co.uk/about-roger/

• Options
    notme said:

When Darling did something similar with Inheritance Tax, it didnt really come out as a masterstroke. It just looked desperate and a bit me-too..
    Except that if (under Labour's logic) the money was required to reduce the fees from £9k to £6k then Labour has to dream up another area to tax.
  • Options
    Oh my - Ridley Scott is playing with reputational fire !!!

Will Vangelis score it again ?!

Way more important than a piffling General Election this lot.
  • Options
    I hate all his stuff - it's all one line away from a fart joke. Or is a fart joke.

The version I saw was clever, nuanced and pantomime. It was so totally different from the Blazing Saddles style of Mel B. I hate Gene Wilder as well, so that film really had no chance.

Plato said:

Charles said:

Pulpstar said:

They are all Mel Brooks versions :)
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Comfort polling?

Or maybe not.

Is it possible to produce a subset of ELBOW limited to pollsters with a track record - i.e. Ipsos-Mori, YouGov, Opinium, ComRes phone and ICM, as per this thread:

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2015/02/26/all-current-surveys-with-con-leads-are-from-pollsters-whichve-been-tested-in-a-ge-unlike-all-but-one-of-those-with-lab-leads/
  • Options
    JohnO said:

Agreed, well done Marf.
  • Options
    @TCPoliticalBetting
    For a great number of Tories on here, the existence of magic money trees enables their lifestyles.
    Denying it's existence will make the worlds economy collapse.
    There are some who hold the view that this might not be such a bad thing
  • Options
    I'm very fond of Ridley's The Good Wife TV show - lots of clever character interplay and plotting for a legal drama.

Speaking of legal dramas and thinking of Boston Legal - I see William Shatner is in Haven S5 later this year - YEAH. That'll be weird, all sci-supernatural with no space craft.
    Pulpstar said:

Oh my - Ridley Scott is playing with reputational fire !!!

Will Vangelis score it again ?!

Way more important than a piffling General Election this lot.

• Options

JohnO said:

JohnO said:

"Don't forget your racket".
    LOL. Or new balls please.

(OK that's quite enough Surrey tennis for today - MS)
  • Options
    Ishmael_X said:

Sean_F said:

Comfort polling?

Or maybe not.

Is it possible to produce a subset of ELBOW limited to pollsters with a track record - i.e. Ipsos-Mori, YouGov, Opinium, ComRes phone and ICM, as per this thread:

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2015/02/26/all-current-surveys-with-con-leads-are-from-pollsters-whichve-been-tested-in-a-ge-unlike-all-but-one-of-those-with-lab-leads/
    Currently we've started splitting YG from non-YouGov, as mentioned up-thread.
  • Options
    blackburn63blackburn63 Posts: 4,492
    Here's an idea, with subjects such as science, technology, engineering, maths and medicine, why don't we get rid of tuition fees, after all we don't have enough home grown experts in that field. Its called investing in our future.

If somebody wants to waste three years doing media studies charge them.
  • Options
    Ishmael_X said:

Sean_F said:

Comfort polling?

Or maybe not.

Or, alternatively, separating telephone pollsters from internet panels?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,028
    Best cartoon I have seen from Marf, absolutely brilliant

Wonder if people are slowly realising that predicting trouble doesn't cause trouble, and isn't desiring trouble... hopefully, just a shame it had to come to this
  • Options
    edited February 2015

Here's an idea, with subjects such as science, technology, engineering, maths and medicine, why don't we get rid of tuition fees, after all we don't have enough home grown experts in that field. Its called investing in our future.

If somebody wants to waste three years doing media studies charge them.

Presumably, you'd place restrictions on the eventual careers of such people?

Otherwise it's "Whoopee, free first class science degree!", and then walk into a City job as a highly paid Analyst.
  • Options
    @blackburn63
    If you want people to stop doing nonsensical degrees, or "wasting" time at university, educate employers and HR staff.
    Degrees are just a lazy way of making a guess at who can perform a function, and how much pay they should receive in most cases.
  • Options

Ishmael_X said:

Sean_F said:

Comfort polling?

Or maybe not.

Currently we've started splitting YG from non-YouGov, as mentioned up-thread.
    And as an extra-special service, could you perhaps produce a sub-set of ELBOW limited to polls that only show the Tories in the lead? (You may even find that you could sell these for a reasonable price.)
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

@TCPoliticalBetting
    For a great number of Tories on here, the existence of magic money trees enables their lifestyles.
    Denying it's existence will make the worlds economy collapse.
    There are some who hold the view that this might not be such a bad thing

Sorry unable to see what point of mine you are responding to as I have not mentioned the socialists magic money tree.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    I always thought government missed a trick when they changed the system. They could have set up a scheme whereby for instance graduates who go to work in the NHS, for ever year they are there the government pays off x% of their loan.

That way we can leverage it such that we don't train a load of dentists (at way more the cost of £9k a year) and then after a just a few years they go into private only practice or off abroad.
  • Options
    @TCPoliticalBetting
    You are indeed correct.
    Though the point is valid as a general statement, money and stocks are faith based and only have the value of that faith.
    Apologies anyway.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Smarmeron said:

@Charles
    "Stop putting words into my mouth."
    I didn't. I made a statement then asked you a question to clarify your position on the matter.

The implication, and your intention, was quite clear.

My comment was a statement of fact, not an opinion.
This discussion has been closed.