Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » A leading academic forecasting model gives Farage just a 2%

Comments

• Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983

UKIP will need 45% to win seats.

In 3 way marginals? Are you sure?
  • Options
    If anyone wants a laugh..... search out Bobby Sol's latest calamity in front of goal...
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    Neil said:

Some will be 2 way marginals.
  • Options
    Neil said:

1 of the parties will get squeezed. There may be 1 or 2 exceptions, but i think a vote percentage in the 30s will see UKIP come 2nd in nearly every scenario
  • Options
    Special post for HYFD, Trump might run for president:
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/trump-says-he-is-serious-about-2016-bid-is-hiring-staff-and-delaying-tv-gig/2015/02/25/4e9d3804-bd07-11e4-8668-4e7ba8439ca6_story.html

Oh and Ted Cruz just said on CPAC that he hasn't stopped beating his wife, that sounded bizarre.
  • Options
    jayfdeejayfdee Posts: 618
    Jimmy Savile,yes he obviously was a monster,OK time for a confession,in my younger days I ran several Marathons and raised considerable sums for Stoke Mandeville and Savile was running nearby me,I spoke with him a few times.
    He fooled everyone the BBC,advertising companies,politicians,managers at Stoke etc. He was one devious bastard.
    In retrospect we can say why was he not spotted,but he was a clever devious bastard.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,205
    Speedy Bang on cue, just this minute clicked on PB, are you a mindreader? Trump could have a chance this time, after all in the last Bush v Clinton race in 1992 Perot won almost 20% of the vote and was also a billionaire. Cruz is off the wall sometimes, but he could get the nod if an establishment Republican loses again
  • Options
    Farage also speaking at CPAC today I believe
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,012

Sean_F said:

isam said:

antifrank said:

Models are good servants and bad masters.

All models are struggling to assess just how localised UKIP's support is. This is a case in point.

I think there is a clutch of three-way marginal seats where UKIP could get to ~30% and fall just short, or get to ~35% and win several and the difference could be mostly down to how good the local UKIP organisation is on the ground compared to the competition.

You can't model that. The best you can say is that there is a set of seats in which UKIP is competitive. If you interpret the results of the model in such broad-brush terms then it's probably fairly reasonable.
    Pretty much what I tried to do with my Heath Robinson Model a couple of years ago.. identify seats where UKIP might have a chance in a three way marginal if their VI sustained, and take big prices (or tip them without backing as per Cannock Chase 250/1)
    My assumption is that UKIP will hit 30-40% in about 20 seats, and therefore some of them will be wins.

If your prediction is correct then anti UKIP sentiment probably means they win 1 (Clacton). UKIP will need 45% to win seats.
    If we had a preferential voting system, you might be right. But, in our system, whoever comes first wins.

In a seat like Camborne & Redruth, the winner might get 27-28%.
  • Options
    FFS Fazio again
  • Options
    Oh god C4 have got the nutter from CageUK on....stop giving these people a platform.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Farage also speaking at CPAC today I believe

Really? What time?
  • Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    @jayfdee
    He must have been convincing, I met him at the Fort William Highland Games several times, and voiced the opinion to the group I was with that he was dodgy as hell.
    I got told to "shut up", and that he was a really genuine guy.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,302
    edited February 2015
    Come on Jon, ask this guy about his own background....
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Speedy Bang on cue, just this minute clicked on PB, are you a mindreader? Trump could have a chance this time, after all in the last Bush v Clinton race in 1992 Perot won almost 20% of the vote and was also a billionaire. Cruz is off the wall sometimes, but he could get the nod if an establishment Republican loses again

Trump will make the GOP media circus really a media circus.
    You know as much as I do what Trump is going to do and say on the podium.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0lUaIoEF70
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    Channel 4 news. OMG!
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    welshowl said:

Channel 4 news. OMG!

Quite unbelievable isn't it. Now according to Cage guy talking about that we can't even be certain anybody has been beheaded.
  • Options
    Speedy Thursday evening, presumably tonight, ' hyperbolic publicity released by CPAC ahead of his speech on Thursday evening, he was described as a "political tour de force" who has "emerged as a serious and viable candidate who can run England in the near future" '

http://news.sky.com/story/1434350/farage-to-get-heros-welcome-from-us-group
  • Options
    WTF.....Lord West gets 2 mins, this nutter gets 10 mins to spout his disgusting nonsense.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,242

welshowl said:

Channel 4 news. OMG!

Quite unbelievable isn't it. Now according to Cage guy talking about that we can't even be certain anybody has been beheaded.
    It's not just the giving of a platform to a pro-terrorist group which repels. It's the claim to victim status by that group - for themselves and for a man who has boasted about his role within IS.

There seems to be something really quite offensive about people who, like the most infantile adolescent, can never accept responsibility for their own actions and beliefs but must always always blame others (and always the same others you note: Jews, the West, the US, the authorities) for what they do, even when they are at the same time boasting to a different audience about what they have done and how glorious it is.

• Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,021

welshowl said:

Channel 4 news. OMG!

Really hope there's no central or local govt funding for this group. If so, withdraw it now!
  • Options

welshowl said:

Channel 4 news. OMG!

welshowl said:

Channel 4 news. OMG!

I know. Clearly he couldn't see the damage he was doing to his own viewpoint ( however bonkers it is to me).

• Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,028

If anyone wants a laugh..... search out Bobby Sol's latest calamity in front of goal...

Not watching.. but I backed him!

Also didnt back the most efficient goal machine of the decade Mario Gomez who paid for my last car with a hat trick a couple of years ago
  • Options

welshowl said:

Channel 4 news. OMG!

Really hope there's no central or local govt funding for this group. If so, withdraw it now!
    Wonder what the Charity Commission are doing? Too busy going after private schools for not letting the local comp have enough hours in their swimming pool?
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

isam said:

antifrank said:

Models are good servants and bad masters.

All models are struggling to assess just how localised UKIP's support is. This is a case in point.

I think there is a clutch of three-way marginal seats where UKIP could get to ~30% and fall just short, or get to ~35% and win several and the difference could be mostly down to how good the local UKIP organisation is on the ground compared to the competition.

You can't model that. The best you can say is that there is a set of seats in which UKIP is competitive. If you interpret the results of the model in such broad-brush terms then it's probably fairly reasonable.
    Pretty much what I tried to do with my Heath Robinson Model a couple of years ago.. identify seats where UKIP might have a chance in a three way marginal if their VI sustained, and take big prices (or tip them without backing as per Cannock Chase 250/1)
    My assumption is that UKIP will hit 30-40% in about 20 seats, and therefore some of them will be wins.

Clacton, Rochester, Castle Point, Great Yarmouth, Cleethorpes and these

Barking
    Boston & Skegness
    Bromsgrove
    Dag & Rain Lads
    Dudley North
    Halesown & Rowley Regis
    Morley & Outwood
    Newcastle Under Lyme**
    Plymouth Moor View
    S Bas & E Thurrock
    Staffordshire Moorlands
    Stoke on Trent S
    Telford
    Thanet North
    Thanet South
    Thurrock
    Walsall North
    Walsall South
    West Bromwich West
    Wolverhampton NE
    Dover
    Spelthorne
    Sitting bourne & Sheppey
    Camborne & Redruth
    Cannock Chase

Best hopes of a close thing IMO
  • Options
    peter_from_putneypeter_from_putney Posts: 6,875
    edited February 2015
    Anyone fancy an evens £10 bet with me on tonight's YouGov poll? - I say Tories ahead 1%, you say Labour 1% ahead, the bet is void if the headine percentages are tied. Loser pays winner £15 if the Tory or Labour lead is 2% or more. Settlement by electronic bank transfer within 72 hrs of account details being notified. First bona fide bettor to accept secures the bet. Offer closes at 8.00pm.
  • Options
    Well at least Arsenal lost.

Abysmal defending, terrible striker.

Battle for 6/7th to look forward to in the league.
  • Options
    Speedy Yes, Trump and Palin would be a classic
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806
    HYUFD said:

Speedy Thursday evening, presumably tonight, ' hyperbolic publicity released by CPAC ahead of his speech on Thursday evening, he was described as a "political tour de force" who has "emerged as a serious and viable candidate who can run England in the near future" '

Typical ignorant Yanks who use "England" for "Britain".

• Options
    perdix Ironically Trump is of Scottish heritage
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,930
    Just For Fun

Tonights YouGov Prediction

Lab 2% Lead

First Lab lead of the week.
  • Options
    Anthony Wells on the Yougov / London poll

http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/blog/archives/9269
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Breaking News....Khalid al-Fawwaz guilty of US embassy bombings

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-31652380

And guess what, another one of Cage Prisoners "causes"....sure they will be telling us what a lovely lovely man he was shortly.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Cyclefree said:

welshowl said:

Channel 4 news. OMG!

It's not just the giving of a platform to a pro-terrorist group which repels. It's the claim to victim status by that group - for themselves and for a man who has boasted about his role within IS.

There seems to be something really quite offensive about people who, like the most infantile adolescent, can never accept responsibility for their own actions and beliefs but must always always blame others (and always the same others you note: Jews, the West, the US, the authorities) for what they do, even when they are at the same time boasting to a different audience about what they have done and how glorious it is.

They have been given plenty of rope today and they have done a cracking job.
  • Options

Breaking News....Khalid al-Fawwaz guilty of US embassy bombings

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-31652380

And guess what, another one of Cage Prisoners "causes"....sure they will be telling us what a lovely lovely man he was shortly.

Loved his old mum
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,018

Anyone fancy an evens £10 bet with me on tonight's YouGov poll? - I say Tories ahead 1%, you say Labour 1% ahead, the bet is void if the headine percentages are tied. Loser pays winner £15 if the Tory or Labour lead is 2% or more. Settlement by electronic bank transfer within 72 hrs of account details being notified. First bona fide bettor to accept secures the bet. Offer closes at 8.00pm.

I'll do it for a pint at the Finsborough on the GE evening :)
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I'll do it for a pint at the Finsborough on the GE evening :)
    Sorry but rules is rules for this bet. 2 mins to go.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362

Wasn't we told all this money going into the premier league would improve us to be the best league in the world.

• Options

welshowl said:

Channel 4 news. OMG!

Funnily enough on their website there is nothing about how they are funded. There is a donate button and a reference to a sponsor called "Catalyst" but a Google search does not reveal who this might be.

Perhaps a journalist might like to find out.

• Options
    Cyclefree said:

welshowl said:

Channel 4 news. OMG!

Funnily enough on their website there is nothing about how they are funded. There is a donate button and a reference to a sponsor called "Catalyst" but a Google search does not reveal who this might be.

They have had £100,000's from Annita Roddick Foundation and Joseph Rowntree Foundation.
  • Options
    Bet offer now closed.
  • Options
    The Cage guy at the press conference made me sick with all the excuses he spouted for the murdering b.....d
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

welshowl said:

Channel 4 news. OMG!

Yes, I've had a look at their website - it's quite impressive. They're obviously getting money from somewhere. As you say, a job for a journo ...
  • Options
    Cage seem to be the same sort of "human rights group" as NORAID or Loyalist Prisoners Aid.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,916
    edited February 2015
    Isam

"And guess what, another one of Cage Prisoners "causes"....sure they will be telling us what a lovely lovely man he was shortly."

Yes quite an extraordinary interview with that man on Ch4. I suppose it is unbelievable to him to think it's the same person he once knew but his attempt to explain his behaviour was really chilling. What could he have been thinking? His 'friend' had chopped off ten people's heads. Most of them aid workers. It's really hard to take in
  • Options
    Mr. Isam, I remain unconvinced UKIP stand a decent chance here. It's not impossible, but certainly an outsider shot (Morley & Outwood).
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,645
    Roger said:

Isam

"And guess what, another one of Cage Prisoners "causes"....sure they will be telling us what a lovely lovely man he was shortly."

Yes quite an extraordinary interview with that man on Ch4. I suppose it is unbelievable to him to think it's the same person he once knew but his attempt to explain his behaviour was really chilling. What could he have been thinking? His 'friend' had chopped off ten people's heads. Most of them aid workers. It's really hard to take in

Maybe, just maybe you will understand that the likes of Socrates are not being unreasonable.
  • Options
    Sweet Jesus. This is also in the Evening Standard:

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-31638174

Interesting how the criticism of the opposing political parties for the Tories missing their target isn't for them taking the wrong control measures, and suggesting more effective ones, but for having a target in the first place. Presumably, they'd give up all together.

And people wonder why the establishment has a reputation for being out of touch.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Roger said:

Isam

Maybe, just maybe you will understand that the likes of Socrates are not being unreasonable.
    Or that there may some downside to mass migration to the UK.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Isam

Oh that wasn't me who said that, I didn't see the interview on Ch4 but saw a couple on Sky earlier... the white muslim guy lost it with Kay Burley and stormed off

Incredible situation, hopefully people will wake up and stop being so gullible now
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

welshowl said:

Channel 4 news. OMG!

They have had £100,000's from Annita Roddick Foundation and Joseph Rowntree Foundation.

After the Hebdo murders I said that we needed to shame those who fund these people, who appease them, who give them a platform. We need to call them out on their hypocrisy, on their failure to stand up for the values they say they believe in. They wouldn't fund a pro-Nazi organisation. So why the hell have they funded a pro-Islamist organization? There is no substantive diffference.

It's this failure by the press, by universities, by opinion formers, by civil society to challenge these groups and those who give them space which has allowed them to grow and spread their evil. We need to reverse this.

And it really does not matter that people like us think that their spokesman made a fool of himself. He was almost certainly addressing himself to a different audience, some of whom may have swallowed wholesale the evil rubbish he was spouting.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,017
    edited February 2015
    Mr. Isam, it may sway some and convince them of the serious problem we face here, but I suspect many will simply squeeze their eyes a little tighter shut.

Edited extra bit: as is often the case, you're entirely right, Miss Cyclefree.
  • Options

I was VI polled by YG this morning for first time ever. Factor that in ;)
  • Options
    F1: it seems Carmen Jorda's results are rather terrible, and her appointment as a development driver for Lotus is more about PR than anything else. Worth considering, both positively and negatively, if and when her name pops up on a drivers' market in the future.
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    MaxPB said:

Roger said:

Isam

Yesterday we had a PBtory retweeting Dan Hodges pointing out that it is a tiny bit suboptimal that Pakistani clan elders have a veto over the Labour candidacy for Bradford West. I think the tide has turned.

Socrates will shortly return in triumph, and Mike Smithson will gracefully surrender the OGHship to him, like Faramir to Aragorn.

Probably.
  • Options

Interesting how the criticism of the opposing political parties for the Tories missing their target isn't for them taking the wrong control measures, and suggesting more effective ones, but for having a target in the first place. Presumably, they'd give up all together.

And people wonder why the establishment has a reputation for being out of touch.

I think the attitude of the political establishment is après moi le deluge.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

welshowl said:

Channel 4 news. OMG!

After the Hebdo murders I said that we needed to shame those who fund these people, who appease them, who give them a platform. We need to call them out on their hypocrisy, on their failure to stand up for the values they say they believe in. They wouldn't fund a pro-Nazi organisation. So why the hell have they funded a pro-Islamist organization? There is no substantive diffference.

It's this failure by the press, by universities, by opinion formers, by civil society to challenge these groups and those who give them space which has allowed them to grow and spread their evil. We need to reverse this.

And it really does not matter that people like us think that their spokesman made a fool of himself. He was almost certainly addressing himself to a different audience, some of whom may have swallowed wholesale the evil rubbish he was spouting.
    Couple of years ago Gerard Batten, UKIP MEP and PPC for Romford, suggested all self appointed Muslim "Spokesman" be required to sign a charter that said they did not support any kind of Extremism or Jihadism

Guardianista, and Conservatives on here spat feathers
  • Options
    Max

'Maybe, just maybe you will understand that the likes of Socrates are not being unreasonable."

I can't see any connection between someone trying to justify the beheading with a penknife of ten aid workers and Socrates prurient obsessions. I actually struggle to 'understand' either of them
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Roger said:

Isam

Undoubtedly, Muslims suffer discrimination in this country. There is a need for organisations who campaign on their behalf. The problem with Cage is that they now look like a front organisation for supporters of terrorism. When their spokesman, in response to a question about the beheading of Alan Heming (from that most Islamophobic broadcaster, Jon Snow of all people) comes out with this guff about George Bush and Tony Blair, instead of straightforwardly describing it for what it was (i.e. a cold-blooded, horrific murder), it sets the alarm bells ringing. The security services need to take a good look at them, if they're not doing so already.
  • Options
    isam said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

welshowl said:

Channel 4 news. OMG!

Couple of years ago Gerard Batten, UKIP MEP and PPC for Romford, suggested all self appointed Muslim "Spokesman" be required to sign a charter that said they did not support any kind of Extremism or Jihadism

Guardianista, and Conservatives s
    What's the difference?

• Options
    HYUFD said:

Farage and UKIP have much in common with Palin and the Tea Party.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

I was VI polled by YG this morning for first time ever. Factor that in ;)
    I already had ..... I'm no fool!
  • Options
    Roger said:

Isam

"What could he have been thinking?"

Well since at a Hizb-ut-Tahrir rally in 2006 he said this - "“We have no fear. So when we see the example of our brothers and sisters fighting in Chechyna, Iraq, Palestine, Kashmir, Afghanistan, then we know where the example lies. When we see Hezbollah defeating the armies of Israel we know what the solution is and where the victory lies. We know that it is incumbent upon all of us to support the jihad of our brothers and sisters in these countries when they are facing the oppression of the west. Allahu akbar! Allahu akbar!”

why should we be surprised that he seeks to explain away his friend being involved in murder. Murder is what these people are about, whatever fairy stories for gullible Westerners they come out with.

• Options

Wasn't we told all this money going into the premier league would improve us to be the best league in the world.

Spurs are the exception to the rule - we had all the Bale money too. Comedy football from our 2 CB's and Bobby Sol. So bad, you start wondering a la the huge no balls in cricket.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Farage and UKIP have much in common with Palin and the Tea Party.
    Will never be in power and ensure the lefties get in every time ?
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Roger said:

Isam

Undoubtedly, Muslims suffer discrimination in this country. There is a need for organisations who campaign on their behalf. The problem with Cage is that they now look like a front organisation for supporters of terrorism. When their spokesman, in response to a question about the beheading of Alan Heming (from that most Islamophobic broadcaster, Jon Snow of all people) comes out with this guff about George Bush and Tony Blair, instead of straightforwardly describing it for what it was (i.e. a cold-blooded, horrific murder), it sets the alarm bells ringing. The security services need to take a good look at them, if they're not doing so already.
    Muslims in this country enjoy a high standard of living, and a degree of civil and religious liberty that is unknown in most majority-Muslim countries.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,716
    edited February 2015
    Sean_F said:

The only credit i can give to the Conservatives is that I think net immmigration would be even higher (probably by around 20% above current figures) had they not undertaken their limited reforms.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

MaxPB said:

Roger said:

Isam

Muslims in this country enjoy a high standard of living, and a degree of civil and religious liberty that is unknown in most majority-Muslim countries.
    But if you add 'Mahomed' to the name on your CV, do you increase or decrease your chances of getting the job?
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    You couldn't make this up....

The Head of the Joseph Rowntree Foundation that have bunged Cage £100,000's over the a number of years now *, is called Julia Unwin. Previous role, Charity Commissioner, who oversaw the "The review of the register of charities". So if anybody should know what a real charity is and which is a front organisation she should.

So Julia, still think it was wise to fund these nutters?

* and have been challenged to explain why they do so.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

The only credit i can give to the Conservatives is that I think net immmigration would be even higher (probably by around 20% above current figures) had they not undertaken their limited reforms.
    I note Dave's promise is now an "ambition"
  • Options
    @Pulpstar
    It's a no iffs, no buts ambition though?
  • Options
    Mr. Nashe, one assumes it'd be helpful if Khan's bigoted anti-white ethnic quotas come into force.

You could as easily refer to names like 'Dwayne' or 'Jamal'. Middle class names like Matthew are likelier to get a better response.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Roger said:

Isam

They have always been a front organisation for supporters of terrorism.

They use human rights and discrimination as a cover for their real agenda which is the spread of a Salafist Islamist world view.

Where is your evidence for saying that "undoubtedly Muslims suffer discrimination in this country.? We do not need an organisation to campaign for one religious group, not least because there are lots of different types of Islam. Sufi Muslims or Amadiyha Muslims are about as different to the sort of Islam espoused by this group as it's possible to be.

It is precisely this sort of community/identity politics which is so disastrous, which has allowed the emergence of self-appointed radical spokesmen to emerge, which has make it harder for Muslims to be seen as individuals rather than as defined by one particular religious strain and which has made integration harder. What is needed in the Muslim community is a long hard look at themselves, a bit of self-questioning and asking themselves if, maybe, just maybe, some of the problems they appear to face may be a result of how they - or some of them behave - and interact with others.

• Options

Sean_F said:

MaxPB said:

Roger said:

Isam

But if you add 'Mahomed' to the name on your CV, do you increase or decrease your chances of getting the job?
    I think that in the scheme of things, that matters very little. Where would you rather be a Muslim? Here, or in the Middle East?
  • Options
    @Pulpstar
    The full horror of that statement he made, only becomes fully apparent when you realise how it came about.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

MaxPB said:

Roger said:

Isam

I think that in the scheme of things, that matters very little. Where would you rather be a Muslim? Here, or in the Middle East?
    Here, of course. My claim was Muslims suffer discrimination in this country - am I wrong?
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

MaxPB said:

Roger said:

Isam

A degree of civil and religious liberty which some of them want to remove from others and which would be non-existent if sharia law were implemented, again as some want.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

MaxPB said:

Roger said:

Isam

Here, of course. My claim was Muslims suffer discrimination in this country - am I wrong?
    My argument is that any degree of discrimination is pretty insignificant as opposed to the advantages of living in the UK.

• Options

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

MaxPB said:

Roger said:

Isam

A pretty broad claim. Evidence?

• Options
    edited February 2015
    "which has allowed the emergence of self-appointed radical spokesmen to emerge"

It took several years before Iain Dale finally checked up on self appointed Muslim commentator and community activisit, Mo Ansar, and to find he was nothing more than a bank clerk from Winchester. Then we have Tell Mama's Fiyaz Mughal, another caught out lying.

Who is giving these people oxygen of publicity? If the media aren't checking up on what at best could be described as useful idiots*, what else aren't they checking?

* Ansar wouldn't condemn the likes of the amputation of hands for theft.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

MaxPB said:

Roger said:

Isam

My argument is that any degree of discrimination is pretty insignificant as opposed to the advantages of living in the UK.

That's like saying to someone who's been burgled, 'you should count yourself lucky, because if you'd been in Afghanistan you could have been murdered'.
  • Options
    Just to add to my last post, I think the fact that 95% of Muslims living here see themselves as British is an indication that most Muslims know they'd be worse off living elsewhere. But I just don't see why that means they should put up with harassment on the street, or discrimination in employment?
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

MaxPB said:

Roger said:

Isam

That's like saying to someone who's been burgled, 'you should count yourself lucky, because if you'd been in Afghanistan you could have been murdered'.
    No, it's more like saying to someone who's suffered some very minor affront "you should count yourself lucky....."

I can't think of many places where it's better to be a Muslim than the UK (the USA perhaps).
  • Options
    Mr. Nashe, there is anti-discrimination legislation. Who is arguing for harassment on the street, or discrimination in employment?
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

MaxPB said:

Roger said:

Isam

No, it's more like saying to someone who's suffered some very minor affront "you should count yourself lucky....."

I can't think of many places where it's better to be a Muslim than the UK (the USA perhaps).
    But I'm not disagreeing with that ...
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

MaxPB said:

Roger said:

Isam

But I'm not disagreeing with that ...
    Then what are you actually saying?
    I'm not clear what your point is and it seems I'm not alone in that.
  • Options
    OT. A BRILLIANT film starting on Film 4 called 'Amour'. Won best foreign language film the year before last.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Sean_F said:

His words are worthless. They can change in an instant.
  • Options

ByTheMin Sport @ByTheMinSport

Man City 1 Barcelona 2
    Arsenal 1 Monaco 3
    Fiorentina 2 Spurs 0
    Besiktas 1 Liverpool 0

#GreatestLeagueInTheWorld

Retweeted by Iain Martin
  • Options
    Mr. Royale, it was an intensely stupid promise to make.

Incidentally, I have the ambition of out-selling George RR Martin and having my books developed into a set of TV series, videogames and films.
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664

Just to add to my last post, I think the fact that 95% of Muslims living here see themselves as British is an indication that most Muslims know they'd be worse off living elsewhere. But I just don't see why that means they should put up with harassment on the street, or discrimination in employment?

Who says they should? Is that a straw man in your avatar?
  • Options

Man City 1 Barcelona 2
    Arsenal 1 Monaco 3
    Fiorentina 2 Spurs 0
    Besiktas 1 Liverpool 0

Retweeted by Iain Martin

EVERTON 7 Young Boys 2 (aggregate) at HT
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Sean_F said:

His words are worthless. They can change in an instant.
    This is one of the issues I have with him.
  • Options
    @Casino_Royale
    According an article I read today, that is exactly what happened.
    Dave had overheard the line in a conversation one of his spin doctors was having, then proceeded to use it to give his speech more "ooomph"
  • Options

Man City 1 Barcelona 2
    Arsenal 1 Monaco 3
    Fiorentina 2 Spurs 0
    Besiktas 1 Liverpool 0

Retweeted by Iain Martin

Great example for the premier league greatness.

• Options
    edited February 2015
    The left should be honest about CAGE and Moazzam Begg

Sahgal pointed out that allying with a jihadi advocacy group and supporter of the Taliban undermined the fight against misogyny, and that pro-actively allying with Begg and CAGE, whose remit is to apologise for and advance the ideology of Salafi Jihad and hate preachers, compromised the left ethically.

Asim Qureshi of CAGE states in an interview with Julian Assange that he agrees with the ‘Islamic concepts’ of stoning women to death, for example.

http://leftfootforward.org/2014/10/the-left-should-be-honest-about-cage-and-moazzam-begg/
  • Options
    Saw the cage person speaking on BBC News at six. Noted that he was sat next to John Rees, formerly of the central committee of the SWP.
  • Options

Man City 1 Barcelona 2
    Arsenal 1 Monaco 3
    Fiorentina 2 Spurs 0
    Besiktas 1 Liverpool 0

Retweeted by Iain Martin

Everton are spanking Young Boys I see.
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

@Casino_Royale
    According an article I read today, that is exactly what happened.
    Dave had overheard the line in a conversation one of his spin doctors was having, then proceeded to use it to give his speech more "ooomph"

Alastair Campbell said in an interview in the Evening Standard tonight; "I have zero respect for Cameron. He's just a communications guy."

He then added that he did respect Osborne, because he understands strategy, and knows where he wants to go. Even if he doesn't personally agree with it.

Campbell clearly thinks he's the power behind the throne.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

Man City 1 Barcelona 2
    Arsenal 1 Monaco 3
    Fiorentina 2 Spurs 0
    Besiktas 1 Liverpool 0

Retweeted by Iain Martin

Everton are spanking Young Boys I see.
    They may yet pull off the unique trick of being relegated and qualifying for the Champions' League.
This discussion has been closed.