Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Tonight’s cartoon from Marf (on Sir Malcolm of course) and

Comments

• Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,909
    Mirror Politics ‏@MirrorPolitics 6m6 minutes ago
    British forces head to Ukraine as David Cameron turns up the heat on Putin
  • Options

Incidentally anyone else think that Channel 4's piece of malevolence is the driver of the UKIP slide?

No.

They've just been out of the limelight for a bit. That will change and I would expect them to pick up again when it does.
    But why the sudden drop now when they've been out of the limelight (intentionally) for at least a couple of months?
    Well for one thing the drop isn't that dramatic, and I think 'a couple of months' is stretching it.

But sell them if you think the decline will continue. I'm not doing so, not yet, and if I'm wrong I'll pay for it, not for the first time.
    UKIP heading for 8/9 % at the next GE an inexorable decline looms
    Mark

In fairness, you ought to advise new visitors to the Site that you can only improve on your record as a General Election tipster.
  • Options

Incidentally anyone else think that Channel 4's piece of malevolence is the driver of the UKIP slide?

I suspect not. UKIP were always going to be a midterm phenomenon - a bit of a jolly and a heady indulgence when it didn't matter. But as the witching hour draws closer people will start to appreciate that UKIP are a luxury we can't afford. They'll be put into a skip with the Christmas empties.
    God give me a bucket. Can't the Tories think up anything more original.......
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @Scrapheap_as_was

'The "missing ISIS girls" have now crossed into Syria (says BBC news). So that's it. They've joined ISIS. Which is crime. They are criminals.'

Good riddance.
  • Options

saddo said:

saddo said:

If Survation is correct, its time to leave the country. Who are the idiots who say to pollsters they want the 2 Eds to turn the UK into Greece?

Bye
    Happy to take the many multiples of tax I pay vs the average tax payer with me. Hows that help pay for Labour's stupid spending plans?
    Babies who threaten to leave should just get on with it.

I seem to remember Andrew Lloyd Webber threatening to leave in 1997. Dont think he ever did.

What stupid spending plans Let me guess the NHS or welfare state?

The IFS by the way thinks the Tory tax cut promises makes them the biggest black hole party
    Boy have you got a nasty surprise in wait, if (God forbid) Ed does become PM in a few weeks time, most especially if he's dependent on the whim of Ms Sturgeon to get anything through parliament. The grown-ups in Labour are in no doubt of the catastrophe ahead, of course, but I can't quite decide whether the rest really don't see the obvious, or are just whistling in the wind to keep their spirits up.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,184
    Smarmeron said:

@coolagorna
    No, I saw it in the news, our stock market is at levels not seen since the dot com bust......but this time it hasn't been artificially pumped up!
    It is as sound as our house prices.

it is.....isn't it?

Ajusted for inflation, the stock market is half the value of 1999, and as a percentage of gdp, it's 60% down.
  • Options
    Hengists_GiftHengists_Gift Posts: 628
    edited February 2015

No.

They've just been out of the limelight for a bit. That will change and I would expect them to pick up again when it does.
    But why the sudden drop now when they've been out of the limelight (intentionally) for at least a couple of months?
    Well for one thing the drop isn't that dramatic, and I think 'a couple of months' is stretching it.

But sell them if you think the decline will continue. I'm not doing so, not yet, and if I'm wrong I'll pay for it, not for the first time.

Your missing the point. I'm trying to discern whether or not this is an event based drop in their share.. If it is chances are it will be countered with a bit of positive publicity as you suggest. if its not and is a general realignment then it might not.
  • Options
    @MarkSenior

Fancy a ukip vs libdem vote share bet?
  • Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    @bigjohnowls
    Yay for humanity, and common sense. We will teach those Red scum what real British training and tactics can do.
    While the bastards are pissing their pants laughing, we will attack!
  • Options

saddo said:

If Survation is correct, its time to leave the country. Who are the idiots who say to pollsters they want the 2 Eds to turn the UK into Greece?

Bye
    ... to your pension.
    Troll
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    edited February 2015

Clever cartoon, Marf.

RobD said:

He was definitely massaging his own ego, but the way he said he was self-employed was frankly ridiculous. I do feel some pity for him though, what a poor way to end a reasonably distinguished career.

I wonder if he will be ennobled if he is cleared by the standards commissioner, you could imagine Cameron offering him this, if he resigned immediately.

I think this sort of thing sometimes happens to distinguished figures in safe seats - they've rarely faced any very awkward situations and aggressive questions, and they struggle to handle them sensibly. Someone like George Galloway, of whom I'm not a fan at all but who is used to rough weather, would have emerged in better shape, but Rifkind was simply overwhelmed.

But Rifkind held a marginal seat for 23 years - Edinburgh Pentlands!
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Smarmeron said:

@coolagorna
    No, I saw it in the news, our stock market is at levels not seen since the dot com bust......but this time it hasn't been artificially pumped up!

it is.....isn't it?

Ajusted for inflation, the stock market is half the value of 1999, and as a percentage of gdp, it's 60% down.
    Yes, the meme that the 'rich' (by which I think the Left mean ordinary pension funds) have grabbed all the goodies in the last 15 years is rather threadbare.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362

With the way the polls are going,it could be Miliband turning the heat up on Putin in 3/4 months time (snigger)

• Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    edited February 2015

No.

Mark

In fairness, you ought to advise new visitors to the Site that you can only improve on your record as a General Election tipster.
    My forecast in early 2010 for the 2010 GE on this site is a matter of record and was spot on in terms of No of Lib Dem seats ( exactly right and No Overall Majority whilst fools like you were betting on a .Conservative overall msjority
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,930
    GIN1138 said:

(Just For Fun)

Survation - 5% Lab Lead

YG - 1% Con Lead

Guess One not too bad...

• Options
    john_zims said:

@coolagorna

'the "Booming Britain"

At least we won't have to worry about that with the two Ed's, just remember to switch the lights off.

That last line worked in 1992...Sadly for the Blues less and less
    people get a newspaper now....they are just not buying it..either
    the papers themselves or the ludicrous lies that they print

Ed, Nicola, Caroline and Leanne will begin to slowly turn the
    failed neo liberal 36 year disaster around in probably the
    finest Goverment since 1945..Feel the Rainbow.Taste the Rainbow

• Options
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

(Just For Fun)

Survation - 5% Lab Lead

YG - 1% Con Lead

Guess One not too bad...

Very impressive
  • Options
    @rcs1000
    Not even just a teensy weensy bit pumped up Robert? Or is it truly down to the increased efficiency of our factory workers, prostitutes and drug dealers?
    All hail Ozzie for engineering the oil price drop!
  • Options

saddo said:

Bye
    ... to your pension.
    Troll
    And you accuse others of being a baby?
  • Options

No.

Your missing the point. I'm trying to discern whether or not this is an event based drop in their share.. If it is chances are it will be countered with a bit of positive publicity as you suggest. if its not and is a general realignment then it might not.
    Well if knew the answer to that one, Hengist, I'd be cleaning up on every available betting market rather than chatting here with you!

My assessment, based on years of political punting and trawling Sites like this, is that we will see an uptick in UKIP's poll ratings when they receive a bit more publicity, as they are likely to do nearer the GE date.

Naturally I can't advise both my loyal followers to lump on in view of this rather subjective assessment, but I nevertheless think it's a reasonable one.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,064

With the way the polls are going,it could be Miliband turning the heat up on Putin in 3/4 months time (snigger)

Miliband certainly had more courage than Cameron when it came to taking on Murdoch and Dacre and the vile practices of their media outlets. There's also an air of principle about him unlike mercantilist Dave.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    justin124 said:

But Rifkind held a marginal seat for 23 years - Edinburgh Pentlands!

Er, yes, you're right. Scratch that theory, then.

• Options

rcs1000 said:

Smarmeron said:

@coolagorna

it is.....isn't it?

Yes, the meme that the 'rich' (by which I think the Left mean ordinary pension funds) have grabbed all the goodies in the last 15 years is rather threadbare.
    FTSE Directors pay miltiples have hardly increased compared to their employees!!
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @Tykejohnno

'With the way the polls are going,it could be Miliband turning the heat up on Putin in 3/4 months time (snigger)'

He won't have time for that stuff, far too busy being Sturgeon's lackey.
  • Options
    @Peter_the_Punter
    This is a Grand National election.
    Best strategy is a sharp pin and a (silk?) blindfold.
  • Options

No.

Mark

My forecast in early 2010 for the 2010 GE on this site is a matter of record and was spot on in terms of No of Lib Dem seats ( exactly right and No Overall Majority whilst dools like you were betting on a .Conservative overall msjority
    Lol!

Only teasing, Mark. We all know how accurate your forecasts are, especially when it come to projecting LibDem seat totals. ;-)
  • Options

Miliband certainly had more courage than Cameron when it came to taking on Murdoch and Dacre and the vile practices of their media outlets. There's also an air of principle about him unlike mercantilist Dave.
    He has such high principles he has also taken on the Mirror Group. Oh wait a minute......
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,012

Sean_F said:

No.

UKIP were never really on 23%. This is simply a reversion to a more normal score. Polling from Sunday onwards still puts UKIP on an average 14%.
    19% is the lowest with Survation since last September and four out of the five polls prior to this one with Survation were 23% or higher. That would suggest in Survations eyes at least they were on 23%.

However, whether UKIP were actually on 23% is irrelevant. Its that we have seen similar drops in three polls in two days . That suggests there is some sort of event impact affecting their vote share.
    The event is the general election. UKIP are on 11% with phone pollsters, with the Tories on 34%. UKIP average 16-17% with internet panels, with the Tories averaging c. 31%. But TNS and Survation drag the Tory poll average down, and push the UKIP poll average up.
  • Options

No.

6 - 8% is my guess!
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,033
    Lemmings who think that the current trend leads to the end result are bookmakers favourite punters

• Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited February 2015

I think you mean that, out of spite, Labour turned on Murdoch once he stopped supporting them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZatq52abJw

Before that, every single Labour minister, including Ed Miliband, seemed happy enough at the cosy relationship.

As for 'principle', a week after Ed used parliamentary privilege to smear a named individual is probably not the best time to push that line.

Hypocrisy, thy name is Labour.
  • Options

saddo said:

Bye
    ... to your pension.
    Troll
    Only pathetic people who threaten to leave the country if the voters dont do as there told
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,917
    I have to say I feel really sorry for Malcolm Rifkind. A lifetime in public life and a genuinely decent man by all accounts. That he should end his public life humiliated when a sleazeball like Nadhim Zahawi rifled the public purse to keep his horses heated yet is shimmying his way up the cabinet is a sad sign of the times
  • Options

Bollocks,just wait until they get into power,you will finish up disappointed.

• Options
    Smarmeron said:

@Peter_the_Punter
    This is a Grand National election.
    Best strategy is a sharp pin and a (silk?) blindfold.

And then choose whose balloon you're going to burst.

Meanwhile, Labour Most Seats is still 2.56 on Betfair. Hope springs eternal for the blue team I guess.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

rcs1000 said:

Smarmeron said:

@coolagorna

it is.....isn't it?

Add in reinvested dividends and then you are doing all right even if you bought at the very peak of the dot com bubble.
  • Options
    @antifrank
    Might be easier if some of the runners come a cropper on the first lap?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

No.

Mark

Mark might be right this time. 8/9% is quite possible for UKIP.

It's also worth noting that this would STILL be a remarkable achievement. Just two years ago pb-ers were scoffing at the idea of UKIP getting anything more than 2-3% at the GE. 9% would see the Farageists level pegging with the Lib Dems as third party, as present polls go.

This is a revolution, it's just not quite the wild revolution we envisaged a few weeks ago.

My present guess is UKIP will get around 10-12%. 14% tops.

Those figures look plausible.

Worth noting that TNS and Survation aside, the two main parties are now level-pegging.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,023

saddo said:

saddo said:

Bye
    Happy to take the many multiples of tax I pay vs the average tax payer with me. Hows that help pay for Labour's stupid spending plans?
    Babies who threaten to leave should just get on with it.

I seem to remember Andrew Lloyd Webber threatening to leave in 1997. Dont think he ever did.

What stupid spending plans Let me guess the NHS or welfare state?

The IFS by the way thinks the Tory tax cut promises makes them the biggest black hole party
    Boy have you got a nasty surprise in wait, if (God forbid) Ed does become PM in a few weeks time, most especially if he's dependent on the whim of Ms Sturgeon to get anything through parliament. The grown-ups in Labour are in no doubt of the catastrophe ahead, of course, but I can't quite decide whether the rest really don't see the obvious, or are just whistling in the wind to keep their spirits up.
    On these numbers he'll just have to give some cash to NI. I think.
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,374
    edited February 2015
    kle4 said:

Outlier I am sure...but no consistent trend of polling in the opposite direction which would prevent a Labour win, so it hardly matters if it is way out - only ones which are similarly out of the general range show anything that might help the Tories win, even if they might have had hopes in the past few months of limiting the scale of the loss.

That's the nub of the matter, Kle.

Although few would believe that Labour are really 6 points ahead, the polls this year fail to indicate any kind of trend towards the Tories that might be consistent with them winning most seats, never mind an overall majority.

On the bare evidence of all those polls you'd have to be crazy to back them at odds on to win more seats than Labour, and personally I'd want 12/1 minimum before I I even thought about backing them for an OM. In fact you could probably make an equally good case for a Labour OM - not that I think that is very likely either.
  • Options

He has such high principles he has also taken on the Mirror Group. Oh wait a minute......
    He's no political giant, I was just comparing him to useless Dave.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    edited February 2015
    Haven't heard from Rod Crosby with his swingback model lately. I hope they're both OK. Is the probability of a Labour majority still 0%, or has it crept up to 1%?
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,958
    I must admit to being a bit twitchy about UKIP>LD bets, and closing my position out for a skewed arb (I win either way, but more if UKIP get more votes) a few weeks ago. UKIP appear to have settled around 14% or so, and are possibly slightly falling. The LDs appear to be slightly recovering to nearer double-figures than previously.

But that's the polling averages. If some of the more UKIP-bearish pollsters are right, and they are some of the more established companies, then the UKIP/LD gap is barely 1 or 2%. I'd say the 5/2 available on the LDs probably has a touch of value.
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262

saddo said:

Bye
    ... to your pension.
    Troll
    http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-19298681
  • Options
    Alistair said:

rcs1000 said:

Smarmeron said:

@coolagorna

it is.....isn't it?

Add in reinvested dividends and then you are doing all right even if you bought at the very peak of the dot com bubble.
    Not particularly - less than 3% per annum before inflation.
  • Options
    @NickPalmer
    Don't knock "swingback" it exists, just not in the form many think it does.
  • Options
    Yesterday was quite a good polling day for the Tories

Today not so good so far but YG still to come
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

Haven't heard from Rod Crosby with his swingback model lately. I hope they're both OK. Is the probability of a Labour majority still 0%, or has it crept up to 1%?

Polls? Where we're going, we don't need polls.

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,021

Yesterday was quite a good polling day for the Tories

Today not so good so far but YG still to come

That is only if you take take the pyrite standard Survation seriously. ;)
  • Options

Oh God.

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

Oh God.

And you don't think a miliband Government will be doing the same(The labour party are more anti putin)

• Options
    @Pulpstar
    War, boom, depression, war, boom depression war, It is a cycle as natural as the tides.
    Humans are remarkably stupid at times.
    (gallows humour :) )
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

No.

UKIP were never really on 23%. This is simply a reversion to a more normal score. Polling from Sunday onwards still puts UKIP on an average 14%.
    19% is the lowest with Survation since last September and four out of the five polls prior to this one with Survation were 23% or higher. That would suggest in Survations eyes at least they were on 23%.

However, whether UKIP were actually on 23% is irrelevant. Its that we have seen similar drops in three polls in two days . That suggests there is some sort of event impact affecting their vote share.
    The event is the general election. UKIP are on 11% with phone pollsters, with the Tories on 34%. UKIP average 16-17% with internet panels, with the Tories averaging c. 31%. But TNS and Survation drag the Tory poll average down, and push the UKIP poll average up.
    OK whatever, disregard the point that I was trying to make and carrying with your own point which was never at issue.......

• Options
    At this stage in 2010 the polls were giving the Tories a 6% lead compared with 7.3% on May 6th. The remaining weeks,therefore, saw a small swing to the Opposition
  • Options
    If Mark Senior is correct, and UKIP poll 8-9%, then you'd expect the Tories to poll 37-38%, and to win the election.
  • Options
    Richard Nabavi - I'm sorry but that won't do. Both Miliband and Cameron had a chance to take a stand when it came to phone hacking. Cameron was found wanting. I can''t believe you want to even try to defend him on this one. Bringing back Labour's cosy relationship with Murdoch pre-2009 is a red herring.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

That won't work, except in the very short term. Once a government starts trying to buy off one group, that just encourages another group (Ms Sturgeon, for example) to demand a matching price plus a bit more.

Anyone who hasn't yet taken whatever steps they can to protect their personal position still has a few weeks to do so. Of course as usual it's the least able to protect themselves who will be most badly hit.
  • Options
    @FrankBooth
    "is a red herring. "
    Richard is a Kipper?
  • Options
    Do we know who this is?

@tnewtondunn
    A new, and rather interesting, celeb name is being pushed to go for Kensington by No10. They just may do it too. In tmrw's @TheSunNewspaper.
  • Options

Richard Nabavi - I'm sorry but that won't do. Both Miliband and Cameron had a chance to take a stand when it came to phone hacking. Cameron was found wanting. I can''t believe you want to even try to defend him on this one. Bringing back Labour's cosy relationship with Murdoch pre-2009 is a red herring.

And what as miliband said on phone hacking with the mirror group ?

• Options

Pulpstar said:

Oh God.

And you don't think a miliband Government will be doing the same(The labour party are more anti putin)

I have no idea ! This is a here and now issue, just worries me a bit. I don't concern myself with Labour's theoretical foreign policy as I'd never vote for them. I'd say the same if it was PM Miliband. Russia is not Argentina or Iraq.

• Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    Another outlier !!! This is getting tiresome.
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460

saddo said:

Bye
    ... to your pension.
    Troll
    Only pathetic people who threaten to leave the country if the voters dont do as there told
    Why's that pathetic? If people really do not like the Govt and can go elsewhere what's the problem?
  • Options

What has Miliband said or done about industrial scale at the Mirror? Absolutely nothing.

Typical double standards and hypocrisy, God I hate Socialists.
  • Options
    welshowl said:

saddo said:

Bye
    ... to your pension.
    Troll
    Why's that pathetic? If people really do not like the Govt and can go elsewhere what's the problem?
    I think it is the fact that people who threaten it rarely leave.
  • Options
    isam said:

Lemmings who think that the current trend leads to the end result are bookmakers favourite punters

As per the article earlier, it's only a trend if it shows a direction of travel that you favour; otherwise it is a blip.

I would think the Lib Dems would be delighted with this poll. The Survation "house effect" is estimated to be slightly on the low side for the Lib Dems compared to other pollsters, so scoring in double figures with Survation is notable in a way that isn't the case with a pollster more favourable to the Lib Dems, such as ICM or Ipsos-MORI.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Do we know who this is?

@tnewtondunn
    A new, and rather interesting, celeb name is being pushed to go for Kensington by No10. They just may do it too. In tmrw's @TheSunNewspaper.

Katie Price.
  • Options
    @welshowl
    I don't see it as a problem, it is the whining to be let back in when things turn to ratshit at your chosen destination that narks me.
  • Options
    From this morning PfP:

" Remind me, which were the surprise LibDem gains at the 2010 GE? "

Arguably ALL the LibDem gains would have been surprises to various people and to varying degrees:

Redcar
    Burnley
    Bradford East
    Norwich South
    Brent Central
    Eastbourne
    Wells

While many of the gains which the LibDems were widely expected to make - Islington South, Oxford East, Hampstead, Watford, Edinburgh South for example - never happened.

I suspect we'll see a similar pattern of surprise gains and surprise misses for UKIP this year.
  • Options
    For the record, I think UKIP will poll 14% at the general, and the LibDems 11%.
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    welshowl said:

saddo said:

Bye
    ... to your pension.
    Troll
    It's usually a transparently empty threat. It's hard to find the image of somebody stamping their foot, telling an obvious lie, and then often finishing up by talking about what an important taxpayer or "wealth creator" they are anything but pathetic.
  • Options
    edited February 2015

Pulpstar said:

That won't work, except in the very short term. Once a government starts trying to buy off one group, that just encourages another group (Ms Sturgeon, for example) to demand a matching price plus a bit more.

Anyone who hasn't yet taken whatever steps they can to protect their personal position still has a few weeks to do so. Of course as usual it's the least able to protect themselves who will be most badly hit.
    I'm decades off from retirement so purchasing 5 years of cheap FTSE could work out well in the long run. 60% of auto pension buy...
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

GIN1138 said:

Do we know who this is?

@tnewtondunn

Katie Price.
    Wrong Katie, it will be Katie Allsop.
  • Options

Alistair said:

rcs1000 said:

Smarmeron said:

@coolagorna

it is.....isn't it?

3.6% And that still seems pretty good to me for investing at the absolute worst possible time.
  • Options

What has Miliband said or done about industrial scale at the Mirror? Absolutely nothing.

You may have a point but actually I think I might prefer double standards to people who have no standards at all.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

Nick, it is unfair to mention 0%. Rod had said that his "L&N" model gave the Tories 99% certainty of absolute majority. Therefore, presumably Labour held the other 1%.

But then NOM must come before Labour. So you were right !

What does L&N stand for: Losers and No Hopers
  • Options

Socialists are eveywhere SNP, PC, Respect, Green and about 10% of Labour MPs.
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    Smarmeron said:

@welshowl
    I don't see it as a problem, it is the whining to be let back in when things turn to ratshit at your chosen destination that narks me.

Well if you're still a citizen you can hardly be stopped.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited February 2015

So, to get this straight, you think that phone hacking, which was carried out by the most important Labour-supporting newspaper group (and, we've recently discovered, by the other mass-market Labour-supporting newspaper group), under a Labour government, and was investigated three times under Labour-appointed Met police commissioners, and was considered by a Labour Attorney General, and was investigated without any result by a Labour-dominated select committee under the Labour government, somehow contrives to be Cameron's fault?

As I said: hypocrisy, thy name is Labour.
  • Options
    I think Brian Coleman should go for Kensington.
  • Options

welshowl said:

saddo said:

Bye
    ... to your pension.
    Troll
    It's usually a transparently empty threat. It's hard to find the image of somebody stamping their foot, telling an obvious lie, and then often finishing up by talking about what an important taxpayer or "wealth creator" they are anything but pathetic.
    Didn't we have a "brain drain" in the 70's? The Ed's seem to want to turn the clock back to 1975 as well...

;)

• Options
    edited February 2015

From this morning PfP:

" Remind me, which were the surprise LibDem gains at the 2010 GE? "

Arguably ALL the LibDem gains would have been surprises to various people and to varying degrees:

Redcar
    Burnley
    Bradford East
    Norwich South
    Brent Central
    Eastbourne
    Wells

While many of the gains which the LibDems were widely expected to make - Islington South, Oxford East, Hampstead, Watford, Edinburgh South for example - never happened.

I suspect we'll see a similar pattern of surprise gains and surprise misses for UKIP this year.

Hampstead had a truly outstanding conservative candidate in 2010, Chris philip, and a pretty poor libdem one (whose name I have forgotten). In 2015, it is the other way around. Comfortable labour hold, if wager.
  • Options

You may have a point but actually I think I might prefer double standards to people who have no standards at all.
    What has Ed said or done about Rotherham?

He has no standards whatsoever until he addresses this.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

I suggested that earlier.

And the other person on the shortlist should be Joanna Cash.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Smarmeron said:

@coolagorna

it is.....isn't it?

The 'rich' who have been grabbing the wealth are the executive oligarchy.

Both the capitalists and the workers have been losing out to these parasites.
  • Options

Socialists are eveywhere
    Red's Under The Bed!!!!!

• Options
    @welshowl
    Most people just offshore their assets, and remain here.
    So much more efficient
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Oh God.

It's 75 guys.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Sorry but Johnny Cash died years ago... :(

• Options
    Another bad day for the South Yorkshire plods.

Can anyone explain why Home Secretary Theresa May and Policing Minister Mike Penning continue to show no interest ?
  • Options
    Barcelona get their obligatory penalty to go with the red card English teams suffer when they play them.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Sean_F said:

JOANNA
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Nick, it is unfair to mention 0%. Rod had said that his "L&N" model gave the Tories 99% certainty of absolute majority. Therefore, presumably Labour held the other 1%.

But then NOM must come before Labour. So you were right !

What does L&N stand for: Losers and No Hopers
    We actually have less telephone polling than in the run-up to the last election. If we had more telephone polling, we'd probably see more frequent Conservative leads.

• Options
    Alistair said:

Alistair said:

rcs1000 said:

Smarmeron said:

@coolagorna

it is.....isn't it?

3.6% And that still seems pretty good to me for investing at the absolute worst possible time.
    In nominal terms, stock markets have tended to average around 9% annual nominal returns over longer periods. If you think of it as 2.5% economic growth, 2.5% inflation, 3% dividends, and 1% share buy backs, that gets to the number.

• Options
    @Alistair
    I wonder if 75 gays might scare Putin more?
    (made in a non discriminatory way of course)
  • Options

So, to get this straight, you think that phone hacking, which was carried out by the most important Labour-supporting newspaper group (and, we've recently discovered, by the other mass-market Labour-supporting newspaper group), under a Labour government, and was investigated three times under Labour-appointed Met police commissioners, and was considered by a Labour Attorney General, and was investigated without any result by a Labour-dominated select committee under the Labour government, somehow contrives to be Cameron's fault?

As I said: hypocrisy, thy name is Labour.
    I'm not a defender of Labour 1997-2010. I didn't even vote for them. My point was about Cameron utter failure on phone hacking when it became blindingly obvious something needed to be done. I know it's hard for you to understand but there are many of us out there who are neither kipper or tribal Labour who nonetheless think Cameron is a slimy, vacuous, spineless irrelevance of a PM.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Sean_F said:

JOANNA
    Who?

• Options
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

Sean_F said:

JOANNA
    Who?

She was the Tory candidate in 2010 for North Kensington, and she was awful.
  • Options
    If The Ed's do finish up walking into Downing St on 7th May I'm soooooooo buying a lava lamp, candles and a couple of Boney M LP's off Ebay.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

Oh God.

It's 75 guys.
    Not far off the sum of British forces these days!
This discussion has been closed.