Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Labour moves to its best ever position in YouGov’s “blame f

Comments

• Options
    FT - Donations slump as Labour’s wealthy business backers flee

• Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806

Australia joins Song Contest. Great - another country that won't vote for the UK.

They will.

Hell we even had an Aussie represent us in the Eurovision Song Contest
    Could we get together an Australian European Union with several EU members kicked out? Answers on a large postcard please.

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193

Good job Labour don't need a big injection of funds to shore up their Scottish heartlands.

Oh.....

• Options

MTimT said:

SandraM said:

Will gays and greys be getting their own Labour battle buses?

Soon there will be a whole fleet, or a caravan. So hot pink for wimmin, grey for old farts, rainbow for LGBT. Green for environmentalists. What colour(s) for new immigrants, union folk, students, public sector employees, teachers, health workers etc... I mean, surely there should be a bus for each of the interest groups?
    They should do it like the publicity caravan for Le Tour de France where they throw freebies out to people at the side of the road.

I got a cow keyring. I treasure it.
    I got a nice Skoda hat amongst other things

• Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,818

I have always thought that if Labour is getting support from 'wealthy business', then we must be doing something wrong.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Two more police forces have been monitoring buyers of the Charlie Hebdo magazine:

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/feb/10/police-several-forces-seek-details-charlie-hebdo-readers

Nice to know they haven't anything more important to do...

I told you there would be more.

Anyone discovered buying it will be recorded on some 'hate crimes' list.
    I doubt these will be the last examples to come out.

• Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108
    MikeK said:

AndyJS said:

"UKIP —the first 100 days". On Channel 4, Monday, 9pm.

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/ukip-the-first-100-days

Probably a programme to blacken the name of UKIP, even if it is based on a seeming fantasy.
    -------------

Anyway lets talk about the Greens:

Vicky ‏@2tweetaboutit 25m25 minutes ago
    Greens finally admit a thousand members have not paid up | @MrSteerpike http://specc.ie/1AT57qv via @spectator

The whole inflated Green membership scam is beginning to come undone. First 1,000 then.............
    Usual spectator nonsense.

The actual figure is around 340 members may be lapsed but still counted.

Steerpike just can't count.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193

I have always thought that if Labour is getting support from 'wealthy business', then we must be doing something wrong.
    Like winning elections?
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,976
    Every time Cameron appears on the news giving his "I warn you...." speech you realize that he's not even a patch on Kinnock
  • Options
    Roger said:

Every time Cameron appears on the news giving his "I warn you...." speech you realize that he's not even a patch on Kinnock

LOL
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245
    Roger said:

Yet he's the prime minister and Kinnock is a blowhard failure, life's strange.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    Roger said:

No, you thank your lucky stars he isn't Kinnock
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    ***Calling anyone who had the UKIP seats x 4 to equal or beat LD seats***

I only made a note of the bets with JohnO, Audrey and DavidL.. anyone else get involved? @Charles maybe?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,139

I can't believe we have descended to Pinkvangate. Is there no real politics left to discuss?

You mean that hasn't blown over in the last four hours?

This is all the fault of fixed-term Parliaments. If it weren't for the fact that we know the election will certainly be on 7th May we would all be occupied with speculation on when the election would be called.
    So...nothing would actually be that different, only instead of knowing an election was on a certain date and engaging in petty politics, there'd be some uncertainty and engaging in petty politics?
  • Options
    @Sun_Politics: YouGov/Sun poll tonight - Labour have two-point lead over the Tories: CON 33%, LAB 35%, LD 6%, UKIP 13%, GRN 8%
  • Options
    compouter2compouter2 Posts: 2,371
    edited February 2015
    Is that the sound of tumbling PB Hodges falling down the Crossover Polling Hill......AGAIN?

The Last 19 polls, three Tory leads from Super Leader and Political Strategist Extraordinaire Cameron and only 11 polling leads for Ed is crap.

January is the crossover month......February pulling away month.

BASILISCIOUS!
  • Options

Without wealthy business, who pays for the sweeties so beloved of progressives, such as yourself?
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,976
    Sandra

"Will gays and greys be getting their own Labour battle buses?"

The gays are sharing the women's pink one
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    isam said:

I only made a note of the bets with JohnO, Audrey and DavidL.. anyone else get involved? @Charles maybe?

Yes, but I forget the terms.

I'm still confident that the Lib Dems will make it into double figures...
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    35% strategy back on track!
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

@Sun_Politics: YouGov/Sun poll tonight - Labour have two-point lead over the Tories: CON 33%, LAB 35%, LD 6%, UKIP 13%, GRN 8%

Rogue poll, evidently.

That, or voodoo...may be an outlier? Definitely not Gold Standard....
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

35% strategy back on track!

SSSSSHHHHH don't mention the poll.Look..... Basil!
  • Options
    When are we expecting Swingover-Crossback to occur?
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    I've been a bit busy. Anyone get a sight of Jack's ARSE today?
  • Options
    Charles said:

Rogue poll, evidently.

That, or voodoo...may be an outlier? Definitely not Gold Standard....
    Not what I am hearing on the doorstep. Did Unite pay for that. Labour bias polling company.
  • Options

Is that the sound of tumbling PB Hodges falling down the Crossover Polling Hill......AGAIN?

The Last 19 polls, three Tory leads from Super Leader and Political Strategist Extraordinaire Cameron and only 11 polling leads for Ed is crap.

BASILISCIOUS!

Number of posts analysing 1pt Tory leads: 10,653
    Number of posts analysing polling average (forecast): 6
  • Options
    RobD said:

AndyJS said:

Thanks, I must have missed that discussion.

AndyJS said:

Apparently there was a BBC Woman's Hour poll done by TNS-BRMB giving Labour an 11% lead and putting them on 39% at the end of January. It was completely out of line with all other polls carried out at the time:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_2015_United_Kingdom_general_election#2015

Yes, we went over that at the time, and Number Cruncher got confirmation from TNS-BRMB that it hadn't been politically weighted. Unfortunately the Wikipedians are following process rather than using common sense.
    I wonder if I should keep it in my google doc (which hasn't been updated recently in any case).
    Remove it, it isn't a properly weighted poll.

Either by past vote recall or demographics.

Polls that aren't weighted are so 1992
  • Options
    So, what will the first major act of PM Miliband's tenure be? Although he has put forth some ideas, I confess the idea there is a lack of clarity in what he will actually do does strike a chord with me, and other than a promise of a constitutional convention - one to fire up the public's imaginations, that, I am sure - I'm not really clear on what he will do to start off.

I mean, I expect government departments to immediately stop making those nasty ideological cuts in favour of the pleasant Labour kind which for some reason the Tories left untouched despite being pretty painless of course, but that's more an ongoing theme than a catchy new policy to unveil quickly.
  • Options

Yes,

http://politicalbetting.vanillaforums.com/discussion/comment/541853/#Comment_541853
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,556
    kle4 said:

So, what will the first major act of PM Miliband's tenure be?

Probably closing the financial markets.
  • Options

BASILISCIOUS!

PB Hodge rule number 1: Post loads of times about polls with a Tory lead
    PB Hodge rule number 2: Ignore all other polls
    PB Hodge rule number 3: Go back to rule number 1
  • Options
    kle4 said:

So, what will the first major act of PM Miliband's tenure be? Although he has put forth some ideas, I confess the idea there is a lack of clarity in what he will actually do does strike a chord with me, and other than a promise of a constitutional convention - one to fire up the public's imaginations, that, I am sure - I'm not really clear on what he will do to start off.

I mean, I expect government departments to immediately stop making those nasty ideological cuts in favour of the pleasant Labour kind which for some reason the Tories left untouched despite being pretty painless of course, but that's more an ongoing theme than a catchy new policy to unveil quickly.

A lot will depend on the following

1) Has he won the popular in i) GB ii) England

2) What type of government he is leading, majority, minority, coalition/coalition with the Nats
  • Options
    I used to think it was strange that some would have to rely on a 1992 'all the polls are/will be wrong' scenario (it is not impossible a Tory lead of significant enough size may emerge in the polls, but it is looking less and less likely the more times both sides hit their floor/ceiling) in order to end up with a Tory majority, but on reflection I think I get it. If it is correct, then everyone else looks a fool for getting their analysis so wrong and a great result is achieved. If it is wrong, well, there's not really anything that can be done to achieve a different outcome that is not already being tried, so why not go with the positive analysis.
  • Options

BASILISCIOUS!

Are you sure you're not confusing 10,653 with the number of screen names you have on here?
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262

BASILISCIOUS!

Number of variations of the login 'boba job': 537
  • Options
    Roger said:

:)
  • Options

BASILISCIOUS!

BASILISCIOUS!

Are you sure you're not confusing 10,653 with the number of screen names you have on here?
    ECHO....ECHO.....ECHO....ECHO
  • Options

Yes,

http://politicalbetting.vanillaforums.com/discussion/comment/541853/#Comment_541853
    Thanks. 38 LD seems a courageous projection.

• Options
    Roger said:

One of the weekend threads ask is Ed the new Kinnock?
  • Options
    saddosaddo Posts: 534

We must be underestimating the impact of the pretty pink van for gal's that Labour launched today.
  • Options

kle4 said:

A lot will depend on the following

1) Has he won the popular in i) GB ii) England

2) What type of government he is leading, majority, minority, coalition/coalition with the Nats
    True. On present evidence a comfortable majority looks hard to obtain, and winning the popular vote is no certainty. Assuming the SNP surge happens as predicted, I'm guessing Ed will be just short a majority but not get a full coalition with anyone.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    Charles said:

isam said:

Yes, but I forget the terms.

I'm still confident that the Lib Dems will make it into double figures...
    It was Even money but I forget the amount

Call it £50?
  • Options

Yes,

Those who prefer polling have ... the polls.

We plumbed new depths today when Jack informed us that some Arse seats* were decided by just three votes. This in what is a made up forecast.

*One for the pun-fans to enjoy
  • Options

Yes,

Thanks. 38 LD seems a courageous projection.

Jack has always been bullish on the Lib Dem numbers.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,269

AndyJS said:

Two more police forces have been monitoring buyers of the Charlie Hebdo magazine:

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/feb/10/police-several-forces-seek-details-charlie-hebdo-readers

Nice to know they haven't anything more important to do...

I told you there would be more.

Anyone discovered buying it will be recorded on some 'hate crimes' list.
    I doubt these will be the last examples to come out.

For any Plods reading this who have investigated all their crimes and are sitting around fiddling their fingers, I have acquired direct from France two copies of Charlie Hebdo. They're welcome to come and talk to me but I give them fair warning that they will get a lecture on free speech, abuse of the law, abuse of their public position and wasting public money. I will enjoy writing a letter to the Chief Constable and the judicial review should also be fun!

• Options
    kle4 said:

Dystopia
  • Options
    kle4 said:

We all know this is just pie in the sky wishful thinking. We have still to get the crossover swingback to come. In January the Tory Party will have regular crossover polls, by February they will pull away and by March there will be consistant majority winning polls.
  • Options

Yes,

We plumbed new depths today when Jack informed us that some Arse seats* were decided by just three votes. This in what is a made up forecast.

Jack got the last election spot on.
  • Options
    Anyhoo, where's Scrapheap?
  • Options

Yes,

And bobaknob still hasn't got over it.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,940
    edited February 2015
    Inevitable result of Lansley conflict of interest reforms IMO

Trusted doctors are being offered bribes to send their patients to private ­hospitals, it has been claimed.

The lucrative kickbacks for GPs and hospital specialists were “widespread” and worth “tens of thousands of pounds”, according to the concerned medic who lifted the lid on the scandal.

Giving evidence to MPs, Dr Simon Peck claimed doctors were encouraged to use specific hospitals and laboratories for tests, drugs, referrals and even operations.

In return, they received regular secret “commission” payments and free property rentals.

He said the “profit-share” schemes made the NHS spend more and were not in patients’ best interests.

In one case, a doctor is said to have earned enough to pay private school fees for his or her children.
  • Options

kle4 said:

We all know this is just pie in the sky wishful thinking. We have still to get the crossover swingback to come. In January the Tory Party will have regular crossover polls, by February they will pull away and by March there will be consistant majority winning polls.
    The much vaunted St Valentine's Day Polling Massacre is soon upon us. Until we get to that I'm not saying owt.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Dystopia
    Seems more a predicted consequence than an act. In a minority government I should think support for a Dystopia Bill would have a difficult passage through both Houses, you'd probably only get Galloway on board or something.
  • Options

kle4 said:

The much vaunted St Valentine's Day Polling Massacre is soon upon us. Until we get to that I'm not saying owt.
    I'm preparing myself for it.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,037

BASILISCIOUS!

BASILISCIOUS!

Posted at the same time, so they may not have seen each others reply. We're all thinking it ;)
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,684
    edited February 2015
    http://www.halifaxcourier.co.uk/news/crime/child-sexual-abuse-ring-in-halifax-25-men-charged-police-reaction-1-7096362

Another "Asian" rape gang. Disgusting this time in Halifax. I think the word "widespread" is applicable.
  • Options

Trusted doctors are being offered bribes to send their patients to private ­hospitals, it has been claimed.

The lucrative kickbacks for GPs and hospital specialists were “widespread” and worth “tens of thousands of pounds”, according to the concerned medic who lifted the lid on the scandal.

Giving evidence to MPs, Dr Simon Peck claimed doctors were encouraged to use specific hospitals and laboratories for tests, drugs, referrals and even operations.

In return, they received regular secret “commission” payments and free property rentals.

He said the “profit-share” schemes made the NHS spend more and were not in patients’ best interests.

In one case, a doctor is said to have earned enough to pay private school fees for his or her children.

What the f--k is this? Source please
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100

Give a source so we can fry Lansley for turning the NHS into a Greek version of the NHS.
  • Options

Yes,

Yes,

It was putting my house on a Tory majority that did for me in 2010. I lost my shirt listening to the shills on here - more than I have ever lost betting in a single day ever.
  • Options
    bigjohnowls missed out it is from an article in Daily Mirror.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Give a source so we can fry Lansley for turning the NHS into a Greek version of the NHS.
    My money is on the Daily Mirror being the source
  • Options
    Speedy said:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/nhs-doctors-taking-bribes-private-5142035

GP Commissioning Healthcare is a MASSIVE conflict of interests
  • Options

I suggest you read up on him to see if he has an agenda.........
  • Options

Yes,

Yes,

It was putting my house on a Tory majority that did for me in 2010. I lost my shirt listening to the shills on here - more than I have ever lost betting in a single day ever.
    Most pundits here are praetorian Tories, why did you listen to them?
    You should never take partisan advise seriously.
  • Options

Is this the Dr Simon Peck that is employed by AXA-PPP to drive down fees to keep insurers profitable by steering referals to the cheapest rather than the best practitioner?
  • Options

It's hard to take any article seriously, from a newspaper that hacked so many phones.
  • Options

Is this the Dr Simon Peck that is employed by AXA-PPP to drive down fees to keep insurers profitable by steering referals to the cheapest rather than the best practitioner?
    I'm shocked. Shocked I tell you by that revelation.
  • Options
    edited February 2015

Speedy said:

Take the pitchforks.
    Lansley deformed British Healthcare into Greek Healthcare (I read that the greek healthcare system is notorious for bribes).
  • Options

BASILISCIOUS!

BASILISCIOUS!

A strong candidate for the most boringly obsessive meme ever on PB, among very stiff competition.

Bournemouth
    Cocktails
    JackW's advanced age
    Muslims

I could go on, but I won't, amid fear of actually boring my dear PB Tories to death.
  • Options

It's hard to take any article seriously, from a newspaper that hacked so many phones.
    Funny how uninterested some media outlets are interested in this fact.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,820
    edited February 2015

Or did a front page based on obviously faked photos that placed the lives of British soldiers at risk.

As Kenneth Clarke put it accurately, many years ago, when he said the Mirror is read by morons.
  • Options

Shootin' the messenger? :)
  • Options
    More good news!!

The NHS has set aside £26billion – almost a quarter of its annual budget – to cover legal claims for negligence.
  • Options

The very same, and given my job that's all I am going to say
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Yes,

Yes,

Biggest betting mistake I ever made. I resolved never to back PB Tory advice ever again – so far it has been very profitable, including a nice earner on how many seats will be contested in 2015.

They said 600.

I backed 650.
  • Options

BASILISCIOUS!

BASILISCIOUS!

A strong candidate for the most boringly obsessive meme ever on PB, among very stiff competition.

Bournemouth
    Cocktails
    JackW's advanced age
    Muslims

I could go on, but I won't, amid fear of actually boring my dear PB Tories to death.
    Oh no, the worst memes on PB were

1) The time Dave went to Morrisons
    2) The time Dave rode a horse (which would lead to his resignation)
    3) The time George Osborne cried at a funeral
  • Options

More good news!!

The NHS has set aside £26billion – almost a quarter of its annual budget – to cover legal claims for negligence.

How much have they set aside to cover the pensions of people who retired ludicrously early?
  • Options

More good news!!

Excellent news, helps enrich poor hard working solicitors.
  • Options

Speedy said:

Yes,

Yes,

Biggest betting mistake I ever made. I resolved never to back PB Tory advice ever again – so far it has been very profitable, including a nice earner on how many seats will be contested in 2015.

They said 600.

I backed 650.
    More fibs.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Speedy said:

Take the pitchforks.
    Lansley deformed British Healthcare into Greek Healthcare (I read that the greek healthcare system is notorious for bribes).
    It will be interesting to see if any evidence is brought forward to back up these claims. After all any doctor receiving these payments could face being struck off and any rep making them could face bribery charges
  • Options
    edited February 2015

More good news!!

When will the Labour party make a fuss about that and the bribes? Instead it's all about "Tory cuts on the NHS", to have a variety of slogans is not bad.
  • Options

Fair play to The Independent, though I wonder how many read it these days.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/hacking-by-mirror-worse-than-at-murdoch-papers-9996698.html
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,419
    edited February 2015
    Anybody who thinks the Mirror should be taken seriously these days, take one look at tomorrows front page....They make the Daily Express front pages sound reasonable.

If they are to be believed, the Tories have sold off the NHS, but all they care about are apparently the "panicking Tories begging the city" for dosh.
  • Options
    edited February 2015

More good news!!

Is the quality of treatment really that bad?

Looking forward to the urgent questions from Labour.
  • Options

Anybody who thinks the Mirror should be taken seriously these days, take one look at tomorrows front page....They make the Daily Express front pages sound reasonable.

I beg to differ, they are not so bad, compared with the Sunday Sport the Mirror is like the New York Times.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    Speedy said:

Drs have had rewards from drug companies for years, decades. Those NHS consultants working in private hospitals for 30 odd years never encourage patients to use them. Oh no.

The NHS will only get worse, regardless of who is in power and the amount of money hosed into it. It needs breaking up so we can have a medical system designed for the needs and expectations now rather than one that was ok for needs and demands of 50 of years ago. A revolution is required in health provision. GPs don't work for modern demands, A&E is under stress. Top end salaries are OTT, admin is dire. There is very little right with NHS. That is not to say private is the answer, but the mess we have isn't either.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,419
    edited February 2015

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/hacking-by-mirror-worse-than-at-murdoch-papers-9996698.html
    The Independent are the only newspaper who have reported on this whole issue beyond the scope of MURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDOCH...they have been talking on about how widespead it was, "proper" hacking, company involvement, foreign agencies on a consistent basis.

Might be to do with the fact that they are the only paper with basically clean hands.
  • Options
    With reference to today's discussions about 'austerity' and who gets the blame and how long it will continue two facts:

During the last decade government debt has increased by £1.033 TRILLION pounds (or 229%).

The UK is currently running the largest balance of payments deficit since records began.
  • Options
    saddened said:

Speedy said:

Yes,

Yes,

They said 600.

I backed 650.
    More fibs.
    Entirely true. I'll dig out the bet slip sometime if you continue to obsessively hound me.
  • Options

Speedy said:

Speedy said:

Take the pitchforks.
    It will be interesting to see if any evidence is brought forward to back up these claims. After all any doctor receiving these payments could face being struck off and any rep making them could face bribery charges
    According to the Mirror article Dr Peck could not name a single Doctor doing this to the GMC, so the GMC threw out the complaint.

Meanwhile Dr Peck's employer, AXA-PPP negotiates sweetheart deals with certain private hospitals and providers.
  • Options
    philiph said:

Speedy said:

Drs have had rewards from drug companies for years, decades. Those NHS consultants working in private hospitals for 30 odd years never encourage patients to use them. Oh no.

The NHS will only get worse, regardless of who is in power and the amount of money hosed into it. It needs breaking up so we can have a medical system designed for the needs and expectations now rather than one that was ok for needs and demands of 50 of years ago. A revolution is required in health provision. GPs don't work for modern demands, A&E is under stress. Top end salaries are OTT, admin is dire. There is very little right with NHS. That is not to say private is the answer, but the mess we have isn't either.
    You reminded me of the massive NHS IT scandal, what happened to that?

Oh and since I ran into the subject of greek healthcare, their PM is doing a Thatcher tonight in their parliament:
    Chris Morris @BBCChrisMorris · 50m 50 minutes ago
    If you had succeeded, #Tsipras says to the opposition, the people wouldn't have trusted us. So tell us something original. #Greece #handbags
  • Options

The Independent are the only newspaper who have reported on this whole issue beyond the scope of MURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDOCH...they have been talking on about how widespead it was, "proper" hacking, company involvement, foreign agencies on a consistent basis.

Might be to do with the fact that they are the only paper with basically clean hands.
    Piers Morgan should be doing time in the Scrubs.
  • Options

BASILISCIOUS!

BASILISCIOUS!

Bournemouth
    Cocktails
    JackW's advanced age
    Muslims

Oh no, the worst memes on PB were

1) The time Dave went to Morrisons
    2) The time Dave rode a horse (which would lead to his resignation)
    3) The time George Osborne cried at a funeral
    I don't recall 1).

2) and 3) were Tim's as I remember.

Those were the days :)
  • Options

saddened said:

Speedy said:

Yes,

Yes,

They said 600.

I backed 650.
    More fibs.
    Entirely true. I'll dig out the bet slip sometime if you continue to obsessively hound me.
    Do so
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Oh come on. Someone please ask me why I'm being smug.

Heh, hah, etc

No.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Oh come on. Someone please ask me why I'm being smug.

Heh, hah, etc

because you've got a great bird with a cracking arse?

This discussion has been closed.