Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Labour moves to its best ever position in YouGov’s “blame f

1235»

Comments

• Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    RobD said:

Tim_B said:

RobD said:

Tim_B said:

RobD said:

Tim_B said:

Pulpstar said:

Tim_B said:

After a botched execution by lethal injection, Oklahoma is considering using the gas chamber for future executions.

It is an excruciating death.

Guillotine ?

I'm serious !
    On several occasions lips and eyes were observed moving for a minute or two after being guillotined, so there was concern that the dying brain could still feel pain. This is mainly from the French before they stopped it, and of course our old friends the Nazis, who in their infinite compassion guillotined their victims face up. I don't have a link as I read this about 20 years ago.

The least painful form of execution is probably hypoxia, which now I've read more about the Oklahoma decision is what they are planning to do, thus rendering my excruciating death comment incorrect. Using hypoxia the victim literally just goes to sleep and it is painless.

http://rt.com/usa/230775-oklahoma-gas-chambers-executions/

The other least painful methods are firing squad or judicial long drop hanging, assuming both are done properly.

The other attraction of hypoxia is that it is easy and needs no expertise - close the door and hit the button.
    Anesthetic + Guillotine??

Can't believe the last guillotining in France was only about 50 years ago!
    One of the lethal injection problems is that autopsies have shown in a surprising number of cases that levels of anesthetic were low enough that the victim may not have been completely unconscious. Placing the IV requires some skill and that also has been problematic.

With hypoxia the only skill is the strap down team. Other than that simple maintenance of the chamber and the gas cylinder is all that's required.
    Dunno why they don't do it using nitrogen.

That's EXACTLY what Oklahoma wants to do...the aforementioned gas cylinder is full of nitrogen.
    Oh, sorry, didn't read the article you link (being lazy today)! I've heard stories of scientists dying in enclosed spaces while working with liquid N2. Apparently it is relatively painless.
    It is completely painless - you literally go to sleep. That's the main reason it has so far not been adopted - people don't want painless executions. It's too good for them, their victims didn't die painlessly etc etc It's an odd mindset.

Your laziness is forgiven - this time :-)
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,037
    Tim_B said:

RobD said:

Tim_B said:

RobD said:

Tim_B said:

RobD said:

Tim_B said:

Pulpstar said:

Tim_B said:

After a botched execution by lethal injection, Oklahoma is considering using the gas chamber for future executions.

Guillotine ?

I'm serious !
    On several occasions lips and eyes were observed moving for a minute or two after being guillotined, so there was concern that the dying brain could still feel pain. This is mainly from the French before they stopped it, and of course our old friends the Nazis, who in their infinite compassion guillotined their victims face up. I don't have a link as I read this about 20 years ago.

The least painful form of execution is probably hypoxia, which now I've read more about the Oklahoma decision is what they are planning to do, thus rendering my excruciating death comment incorrect. Using hypoxia the victim literally just goes to sleep and it is painless.

The other least painful methods are firing squad or judicial long drop hanging, assuming both are done properly.

The other attraction of hypoxia is that it is easy and needs no expertise - close the door and hit the button.

One of the lethal injection problems is that autopsies have shown in a surprising number of cases that levels of anesthetic were low enough that the victim may not have been completely unconscious. Placing the IV requires some skill and that also has been problematic.

With hypoxia the only skill is the strap down team. Other than that simple maintenance of the chamber and the gas cylinder is all that's required.

That's EXACTLY what Oklahoma wants to do...the aforementioned gas cylinder is full of nitrogen.
    Oh, sorry, didn't read the article you link (being lazy today)! I've heard stories of scientists dying in enclosed spaces while working with liquid N2. Apparently it is relatively painless.
    It is completely painless - you literally go to sleep. That's the main reason it has so far not been adopted - people don't want painless executions. It's too good for them, their victims didn't die painlessly etc etc It's an odd mindset.

Most gracious of you. I haven't been all bad today, I filed my taxes!
  • Options
    RobD said:

Tim_B said:

RobD said:

Tim_B said:

RobD said:

Tim_B said:

RobD said:

Tim_B said:

Pulpstar said:

Tim_B said:

Guillotine ?

I'm serious !

Most gracious of you. I haven't been all bad today, I filed my taxes!
    What sort of file? :-)

I'm seeing my CPA Friday.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

I filed them in the big blue post box ;)

I elected not to get help with mine, I just guessed, and am hoping I don't get audited! In all seriousness, they aren't that complicated so I am pretty confident it is all kosher.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Tim_B said:

I elected not to get help with mine, I just guessed, and am hoping I don't get audited! In all seriousness, they aren't that complicated so I am pretty confident it is all kosher.
    Like that deli in Paris where POTUS insists 'random folks' were shot? :-)

My CPA is my former business partner so it's equally a social occasion. We always go to lunch afterwards.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

RobD said:

Tim_B said:

My CPA is my former business partner so it's equally a social occasion. We always go to lunch afterwards.
    I'm clearly very tired because I don't know what you are getting at ;)

That sounds fun! Make sure to do the work first, and drinkies second! (this may depend on the nature of your tax situation, however!)
  • Options
    RobD said:

Tim_B said:

RobD said:

Tim_B said:

That sounds fun! Make sure to do the work first, and drinkies second! (this may depend on the nature of your tax situation, however!)
    We're done in about 30 minutes, and then wife and daughter go off to lunch, and he and I go to lunch. He doesn't charge us for our taxes so I buy our lunch.

I try to arrange it so I owe Uncle Sam and Georgia a bit. I don't like giving government interest free loans.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

RobD said:

Tim_B said:

RobD said:

Tim_B said:

We're done in about 30 minutes, and then wife and daughter go off to lunch, and he and I go to lunch. He doesn't charge us for our taxes so I buy our lunch.

I try to arrange it so I owe Uncle Sam and Georgia a bit. I don't like giving government interest free loans.
    That's how it worked out for me this year, but I think I need to up my allowances for this year because I think I'm paying way too much (and god damn CA taxes a lot more than AZ!)
  • Options
    RobD said:

Tim_B said:

RobD said:

Tim_B said:

RobD said:

Tim_B said:

That's how it worked out for me this year, but I think I need to up my allowances for this year because I think I'm paying way too much (and god damn CA taxes a lot more than AZ!)
    As a certain Mr Mickelson could tell you = he won the Scottish Open followed by the Open in 2013 - he had a tax rate of about 60% on his winnings because he lives in CA.
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    fitalass said:

Twitter
    Reuters Top News ‏@Reuters 11m11 minutes ago
    Greek PM easily wins confidence vote, EU showdown looms http://reut.rs/1AV37hh

And one for those that can reach behind the Times pay wall
    Fraser Nelson @FraserNelson · 2h 2 hours ago
    "The Conservatives are both the party of the rich and the party with the best policies for the poor" -vg Times leader http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/opinion/le

However, Greek Finance Minister Yanis Varoufakis refused to rule out a standoff with his country's creditors. "We're not seeking a clash. We will do everything to avoid it," he told parliament, but added: "If you're not willing to even consider a clash, you're not negotiating."
    You listening Mr Cameron ?
This discussion has been closed.