Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Labour moves to its best ever position in YouGov’s “blame f

SystemSystem Posts: 11,725
edited February 2015 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Labour moves to its best ever position in YouGov’s “blame for cuts” tracker – now just 3% behind

In the very early days of the coalition and the austerity programme in 2010 I singled out the YouGov “who’s to blame for the cuts” tracker as a good monitor – because placing the blame on the “past lot” has been such a key part of coalition rhetoric. It is one that I have gone back to regularly especially when milestones are reached.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    edited February 2015
    33%, not 3% in the second para. You seem to be discussing the absolutes there, not the difference/gap.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,083
    Anorak said:

33%, not 3% in the second para. You seem to be discussing the absolutes there, not the difference/gap.

The gap is down to 3%

@Scrapheap EVENS the Cons in Rochester, how much?
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    isam said:

Anorak said:

The gap is down to 3%

Back in October 2010 just 18% blamed “the coalition” and 48% “the last Labour government”. Today’s figures have that down to only 3% – the best ever for Team Ed. - does not make sense as written. Even Sunil agrees, although he has the number wrong!
  • Options
    isam said:

Anorak said:

The gap is down to 3%

Back in October 2010 just 18% blamed “the coalition” and 48% “the last Labour government”. Today’s figures have that down to only 3% – the best ever for Team Ed.

In this context, the figure should be 30%, not 3%
  • Options
    I thought we're not supposed to trust online pollsters like YouGov, Mike?
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    edited February 2015

isam said:

Anorak said:

The gap is down to 3%

I've re-phrased it to make it clearer.
  • Options

isam said:

Anorak said:

The gap is down to 3%

OK, seen it.
  • Options

isam said:

Anorak said:

The gap is down to 3%

Back in October 2010 just 18% blamed “the coalition” and 48% “the last Labour government”. Today’s figures have that down to only 3% – the best ever for Team Ed.

In this context, the figure should be 30%, not 3%
    Mike has altered the header, he just needed to put the word "gap " in
  • Options
    edited February 2015

isam said:

Anorak said:

The gap is down to 3%

Much better. Ta.
  • Options
    Still don't like the pejorative nature of this question. Not surprising to see the gap closing - and yet with a "best ever" figure on this "Team Ed" are behind in the polls; yet when their polling on this was worse they were ahead...

FPT: A pink van, because it's for women? Bit surprising from Labour.

http://order-order.com/2015/02/10/labour-unveil-crap-budget-battle-bus/
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    It appears Labour have just crashed their Battle Bus

@GuidoFawkes: What do you feel when you see a pink van @Ed_Miliband? http://t.co/9ZxvBXG7Ls http://t.co/jyapRWBD8d
  • Options
    Anorak said:

isam said:

Anorak said:

The gap is down to 3%

Back in October 2010 just 18% blamed “the coalition” and 48% “the last Labour government”. Today’s figures have that down to only 3% – the best ever for Team Ed. - does not make sense as written. Even Sunil agrees, although he has the number wrong!
    33% I know!
  • Options
    Anorak said:

isam said:

Anorak said:

The gap is down to 3%

I understood what Mike meant and realised the mistake he had made, looks like you originally thought he had missed out the zero then edited when you realised he meant the gap
  • Options
    When are Socrates and Audrey allowed back to play?

• Options
    But in the same opinon poll, the Conservatives have taken the lead over Labour. Perhaps this is going to be a less good predictor of voting intention than we all assumed it would be.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

It appears Labour have just crashed their Battle Bus

@GuidoFawkes: What do you feel when you see a pink van @Ed_Miliband? http://t.co/9ZxvBXG7Ls http://t.co/jyapRWBD8d

That's got to be the funniest development of the whole campaign!
  • Options
    @GuidoFawkes: Was this pink thing your idea @LucyMPowell ?

That would be just too perfect
  • Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    It may indeed be pink my friends, but posting a doctored picture is not proof.
  • Options
    isam said:

Have they been sin-binned?
  • Options
    @Kevin_Maguire: Pink? PINK? I'd have expected Harriet Harman to demand a blue election battle bus to fight gender stereotypes

@MrHarryCole: errr RT @HarrietHarman: @Kevin_Maguire @GuidoFawkes blue = Tory!!

@MrHarryCole: @HarrietHarman @GuidoFawkes what does pink equal?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,027
    Scott_P said:

@Kevin_Maguire: Pink? PINK? I'd have expected Harriet Harman to demand a blue election battle bus to fight gender stereotypes

@MrHarryCole: errr RT @HarrietHarman: @Kevin_Maguire @GuidoFawkes blue = Tory!!

@MrHarryCole: @HarrietHarman @GuidoFawkes what does pink equal?

Fabulous Tory? ;)
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    Bit disingenuous anyway because there haven't been any real cuts - yet, just a reduction in the rate of increase. Now who did this poll again?
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    weejonnie said:

Bit disingenuous anyway because there haven't been any real cuts - yet

There have been plenty of real cuts.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,034
    Hope OGH's position isn't too Labour top heavy...
  • Options
    With Telegraph's story headline of "Cameron's Kinnock moment". I thought he had gone all Sheffield rally on us.
  • Options
    @VickiYoung01: Apparently Labour's #womantowoman campaign bus is magenta not pink....overnight re-spray??
  • Options
    @GuidoFawkes: RT @CharmlessNurk: @HarrietHarman @GuidoFawkes Wait. You're helping end violence against women by telling women to get in the back of a van?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@VickiYoung01: Apparently Labour's #womantowoman campaign bus is magenta not pink....overnight re-spray??

Ah, Islington pink
  • Options
    o/t - The Labour councillors in Redcar who fell out with the local MP and PPC could end up running for the Green party in upcoming local elections (after RMT President unveiled as the Green party GE candidate).

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/11781662.Green_could_be_the_new_red_in_Redcar/
  • Options
    @Scott_P
    That is a doctored picture Scott?
  • Options
    I rather think the logo on the van might, er, be misconstrued in Twitterdom...
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    @toadmeister: Here’s a picture of @HarrietHarman on the campaign trail. @johnprescott kindly agreed to drive her twitter.com/toadmeister/status/565202585330941952/photo/1
  • Options

isam said:

Appears so
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited February 2015
    EEK! - Afraid to say, Labour’s pink ‘Battle Bus’ looks more like a Barbie doll delivery van.
  • Options

EEK! - Afraid to say, Labour’s pink ‘Battle Bus’ looks more like a Barbie doll delivery van.

@GuidoFawkes: Labour targeting younger women http://t.co/BdDboPBelr
  • Options

isam said:

We are not allowed to say. The first rule of PB is that you don't talk about PB.
  • Options
    @SimonStClare
    Oh good, you have seen the actual van?
    or even the original picture?
  • Options
    I dont expect much from politics these days but a heated discussion about the colour of a van? Really? Let's talk Edinburgh trams or Islington farmers' markets instead, those were the days.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,942
    As I wandered round watching all the decorations go up for the Chinese New Year I found myself thinking how nice it was that so many in this country get involved in celebrations of another culture's New Year. It all looked so cheerful and then I though about Farage and his small minded band of chauvinists and it occurred to me how much I preferred the Chinese.......
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    Thats why EdM hasn't been seen all day ..he was picking the colour of the van...very important
  • Options
    Opposition strategy is normally a relatively simple two-step affair. This is what the present government is doing wrong and this is how we will fix it.

The first step requires attaching blame squarely to government policy. If the public see it as a 50:50 split between the government and the opposition then I don't think they are going to be that receptive to listening to the second step.

This seems to be what is happening in Ashcroft's focus groups. People agree with quite a bit of the criticisms that Labour has of the government, but they simply assume that Labour's answer is to spend until the money runs out. They aren't listening because they feel they have the measure of what Labour are about.
  • Options
    Good evening, everyone.

I bet the van doesn't look as good as the mirthmobile.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193
    Who is to blame for "current" cuts kinda depends on whether people think "current" means those happening now - and know that Labour have been out of power and haven't presented a budget for five years.

A slightly less confusing question is "who do you hold responsible for the economic collapse between 2005-2010 (hint: it wasn't the current government of steadfast guardians of economic growth who have taken tough choices when implementing their long term economic plan for the benefit of all). Was it a) Labour scum under that prat Gordon Brown and that war-monger Tony Blair with help from assorted kitten-stranglers or b) the Coalition Govt.?"
  • Options
    Burnley bigger than Ajax, according to Scudamore.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,538
    Having only a small majority thinking you are most to blame for the cuts nearly 5 years after you have left office is clearly a triumph for Labour, who could possibly think otherwise?

I am doing my best Fraser impression here claiming we are all doomed and Labour are just embarrassing. Mandelson must be looking at this target rich environment and the failure to strike with disbelief and no doubt all of his usual cynicism.
  • Options

I look forward to it touring the marginals with a loudspeaker system blaring out Aqua's "Barbie Girl"....
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    Roger said:

As I wandered round watching all the decorations go up for the Chinese New Year I found myself thinking how nice it was that so many in this country get involved in celebrations of another culture's New Year. It all looked so cheerful and then I though about Farage and his small minded band of chauvinists and it occurred to me how much I preferred the Chinese.......

Kippers like a Chinese too.
  • Options
    @IsabelHardman: BREAKING: Labour to offer ‘manifesto manicures’ so women can’t forget their policies while doing the housework http://t.co/lwpblNZU1v

Will jack Dromey be driving the All Wimmin Bus?
  • Options
    Isam

"When are Socrates and Audrey allowed back to play?"

They're both auditioning for parts in the remake of 'One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest'
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    2010 watch Labour's policy launch upstaged by a car crash.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfO4FmvHwi8

For some reason Bab's Cabs pink taxi sprung to mind when I read that Guido post about Labour's pink van.
  • Options

Good evening, everyone.

I bet the van doesn't look as good as the mirthmobile.

Indeed - party on dude..!
  • Options
    Major policy split on Labour's front bench...

@GuidoFawkes: LABOUR CHAOS: first it was a pink bus, now @GloriaDePiero says its "cerise" and @HarrietHarman says "magenta". Can't they agree on anything?
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

For some reason Bab's Cabs pink taxi sprung to mind when I read that Guido post about Labour's pink van.

Sheila's Wheels is getting a pretty good workout on Twitter
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Major policy split on Labour's front bench...

@GuidoFawkes: LABOUR CHAOS: first it was a pink bus, now @GloriaDePiero says its "cerise" and @HarrietHarman says "magenta". Can't they agree on anything?

Please, Scott, I know this is your thing but please spare us this.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,620
    edited February 2015

Scott_P said:

Ah, Islington pink
    The Hammersmith & City line !
  • Options
    Neil said:

Please, Scott, I know this is your thing but please spare us this.

For a PBTory, sure
  • Options
    Mr. StClare, party on, Simon.

Mr. P, maybe it's fuchsia?
  • Options
    Paul_Mid_BedsPaul_Mid_Beds Posts: 1,409
    edited February 2015
    Chaos in Greece between now and May won't help Labour

Everyone is calling the demands Greece is making reparations, but reparations are a fee charged to the loser to make good the damage that the invaders did, but this is not reparations, it is calling in a loan.

On n March 14, 1942 the Greeks were forced to make a ruinous a war loan of 476million Reichsmarks to Germany, not a pfennig of interest or principal has ever been paid.

In 1939, there were 10.86 Reichmarks to the Pound (http://www.paper-dragon.com/1939/exchange.html)

Therefore that loan was worth approximately £43.8 Million pounds in 1942.

Using the Bank of England Inflation calculator, that sum was worth £1.8 Billion for the principal alone.

Add in interest and you are looking at tens of Billions. No wonder the Greeks are p*ss*d off.
  • Options
    Am I right in thinking that Rupert Murdoch is soon to tell us which way he thinks we should all vote?

At what time may we expect to hear His Masters Voice?
  • Options
    So no-one in Labour can just point to a colour chart and go "Red. That will do us." ?

Still, it explains Ed's diary clash today.
  • Options
    Roger said:

I find him a ghastly little man too. Somehow he contrives to come over as both overremunerated but also horribly common. I suppose "shyster" is the word.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    Just heard Toynbee on the PM programme. What a ghastly woman she is. living the rich champagne lifestyle, with her second home in ?? Tuscany..whilst spouting on about the faults of the Coalition whilst ignoring her party's fault in the mess left in 2010. I can no longer find enough words to describe how loathsome she is... any offers
  • Options

Just heard Toynbee on the PM programme. What a ghastly woman she is. living the rich champagne lifestyle, with her second home in ?? Tuscany..whilst spouting on about the faults of the Coalition whilst ignoring her party's fault in the mess left in 2010. I can no longer find enough words to describe how loathsome she is... any offers

Typical Labour supporter?
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Mark Thompson ‏@MarkReckons 6h6 hours ago
    Rochester and Strood for Tories has gone from "Throw kitchen sink at it" to "We'll win it back easily in May" to quietly dropped as a target
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Did we ever get any feedback on the accents of the pollsters used for the Ashcroft constituency polls?
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    No wonder the Greeks are p*ss*d off

You don't buy all that 'the greeks are victims bullsh8t do you? The euro gave the Greeks a life style they could only dream of and they bought boats and BMWs.

Now the bill for that is coming, they want some other person to pay?

The Germany owe them money?? do me a favour
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Roger said:

Isam

They're both auditioning for parts in the remake of 'One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest'

Theyll have to join the queue

http://www.postimg.org/image/n7h0yoaht/

• Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,013
    MikeK said:

Mark Thompson ‏@MarkReckons 6h6 hours ago
    Rochester and Strood for Tories has gone from "Throw kitchen sink at it" to "We'll win it back easily in May" to quietly dropped as a target

I think that will be a fairly straightforward UKIP hold.
  • Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012

Why would they want to drive around in a van of any colour?
    Labour should have had the courage of its convictions and used a white one.
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    edited February 2015

With Emily Thornberry in the driver's seat.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,254
    A pink van for women?!

Give me a break.

Here's my free tip for Labour: stop sneering at women you don't understand (T Hunt, pay attention), stop condescending, stop patronising. And stop assuming that the only thing women voters care about is childcare - as if women's only real role relates to children.

Given Labour's record when faced with real children needing care I'd take my chances with Herod.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited February 2015
    2,066.5 hours to go to the release of the GE2015 exit poll, (assuming there's only one).
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    isam said:

Roger said:

Isam

So will you both if you keep on about moderation. you know OGH has a no discussion rule......
  • Options
    @Cyclefree
    Where was the picture used taken from?
    It cant be the original, and there are more clues if you look closely.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    AndyJS said:

2,066.5 hours to go to the release of the GE2015 exit poll, (assuming there's only one).

Actually I think that's 24 hours too many.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,030
    edited February 2015
    BBC piece on the van. Mostly trivial silliness, but there is a serious point:
    "At a briefing for Westminster journalists, Ms Harman said that while Labour would be highlighting policies on issues such as childcare and domestic violence, David Cameron and the Conservatives had nothing to offer female voters."

Leaving childcare [don't have any, but it's my understanding men play something of a role in children's creation and lives...], a large minority, circa 40% or more, of domestic violence victims are men attacked by women (obviously it also occurs in homosexual relationships).

Claiming it as a 'woman's issue' is not only inaccurate and unhelpful, it's harmful. It's very hard for a victim of domestic abuse to come forward, and perhaps even more so if the victim is a man. Instead of shouting about fallopian-deprived apes making things horrid for her ovarian sisters, Harman should try engaging her brain.

Edited extra bit: story link:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-31376622
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    https://twitter.com/itvnews/status/565216365158469632/photo/1

Wider audience for Labour's pink bus. Mandelson and Campbell knew how to avoid such crap, and Blair won 3 elections. Why can't Ed recognise that.
  • Options

Racist
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,667
    dr_spyn said:

Wider audience for Labour's pink bus. Mandelson and Campbell knew how to avoid such crap, and Blair won 3 elections. Why can't Ed recognise that.

The same Mandy that oversaw an Elvis impersonator to serenade Gordon Brown? That got no traction and I don't think this will either.
  • Options

isam said:

Roger said:

Isam

So will you both if you keep on about moderation. you know OGH has a no discussion rule......
    Everything in moderation except moderation
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245
    Smarmeron said:

@Cyclefree

The picture is for illustrative purposes only, as you, we and the station cat are well aware of. People are talking the piss out of the concept, not the actuality.

The reaction to this has pretty much killed its chances of ever actually appearing in the wild.
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

@Cyclefree

I have no idea. I didn't take it.

Whey the hell do Labour need a van specially for women, whatever colour it is? Do they have some special van for the old? Or for Northerners?

What patronising twaddle - a party that thinks all members of some group all think in the same way and have the same interests and need to be bought off with special sweeties for that group. Women and childcare; men and well, what?, ethnic minorities and immigration, etc etc.

Just behave like grown ups and treat us as grown ups.

Honestly, Labour were once a serious political party with politicians one could respect, even if one disagreed with their views. Now they have all the gravitas of a first year students' union composed of people studying sociology.

• Options
    MaxPB said:

dr_spyn said:

The same Mandy that oversaw an Elvis impersonator to serenade Gordon Brown? That got no traction and I don't think this will either.
    That actually happened? I thought it was just a bad dream!
  • Options
    Mr. Max, I largely agree. In itself, it's not a problem for Labour. However, they have had a run of negativity. Some, such as business, cuts both ways, but they haven't had a clear positive win with any message for a while.

To be honest, both sides would probably benefit from masterly inactivity and keeping their powder dry.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,333
    edited February 2015
    Is really a pink van a news story? Not in my book. Utter nonsense. Ohhh but wait Harriet Harperson is involved, well if the shoe was on the other foot, you 100% know what she would be bleating about.

Hope they aren't going to let Harriet drive it given her record. DON'T YOU KNOW WHO I AM....
  • Options
    London Bangla says an attack on Lutfur Rahman is an attack on all Bangladeshi's - BBC London News
  • Options
    @saddened
    Perhaps it only ever existed as an internet spoof?
    The chances of labour specifying a custom shade of red for election vans is pretty remote.
    Usually they are standard lease vehicles with stick on transfers.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    Cyclefree said:

Smarmeron said:

@Cyclefree

I have no idea. I didn't take it.

Whey the hell do Labour need a van specially for women, whatever colour it is? Do they have some special van for the old? Or for Northerners?

What patronising twaddle - a party that thinks all members of some group all think in the same way and have the same interests and need to be bought off with special sweeties for that group. Women and childcare; men and well, what?, ethnic minorities and immigration, etc etc.

Just behave like grown ups and treat us as grown ups.

Honestly, Labour were once a serious political party with politicians one could respect, even if one disagreed with their views. Now they have all the gravitas of a first year students' union composed of people studying sociology.

Top post.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,013
    Cyclefree said:

A pink van for women?!

Give me a break.

Here's my free tip for Labour: stop sneering at women you don't understand (T Hunt, pay attention), stop condescending, stop patronising. And stop assuming that the only thing women voters care about is childcare - as if women's only real role relates to children.

Given Labour's record when faced with real children needing care I'd take my chances with Herod.

Overall, the issues that concern men and women are pretty similar. Labour might be surprised to learn that there are plenty of women who care about things like foreign policy, taxation, immigration, etc.
  • Options
    "Harman should try engaging her brain."

Well, there's your problem, right there.

Not to mention the fact that there are problems with domestic violence against women in some communities whose support Labour is anxious to get. In those cases, violence against women is overlooked on a prolonged and heroic scale, in case it should upset the males of the tribe.
  • Options
    isam said:

London Bangla says an attack on Lutfur Rahman is an attack on all Bangladeshi's - BBC London News

A bit like NATO, then??
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Cyclefree said:

A pink van for women?!

Give me a break.

Overall, the issues that concern men and women are pretty similar. Labour might be surprised to learn that there are plenty of women who care about things like foreign policy, taxation, immigration, etc.
    Indeed so: but they'd have to think of us as individuals who think for ourselves and not as part of some group grateful to be patronised by second-rate nonentities such as Harman.

• Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,557
    Cyclefree said:

Now they have all the gravitas of a first year students' union composed of people studying sociology.

Cyclefree, I think you should take back that wicked slur upon first year sociologists. I've met some who are passably sane if you keep the conversation to sport.
  • Options
    The right-wing press are laying in:

twitter.com/patrickwintour/status/565209160066039808
  • Options
    isam said:

So, by the same token, an attack on say a gay man by homophobes shouting abuse in the Tower Hamlets Council Chamber is an attack on all gays?

• Options
    How odd Cameron copying Kinnocks famous 'I warn you not to grow old...' speech to business leaders.

If it wasn't that I'd be sure to be the kiss of death I'd predict a surprisingly good election for Labour. Though I haven't met many anyone impressed with Ed yet I've come accross a surprising number who don't rate Cameron
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Sink the pink...
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    @WikiGuido: LibDem spox groaner: “Women voters won't forget Labour's car crash record on the economy just because Harriet Harman turns up in a pink van”
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,228
    The problem for the Coalition is they originally promised to sort out the deficit by the end of this year, the fact Osborne is signalling 3 or 4 more years of cuts means Labour can be less reliably blamed for the cuts as each year goes by
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

Roger said:

Isam

Everything in moderation except moderation
    Such a no discussion rule does seem a tad illiberal.
This discussion has been closed.