Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Lord Ashcroft finds errors in his Doncaster N, Thanet S & H

SystemSystem Posts: 11,706
edited February 2015 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Lord Ashcroft finds errors in his Doncaster N, Thanet S & Hallam polling. Clegg 3% behind

@LordAshcroft 's statement on the corrections he's had to make to his Dec polling of Hallam, Doncaster N, & Thanet S pic.twitter.com/YVsDDCk1TP

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,920
    As the Good Lord giveth the Good Lord taketh.
  • Options
    Blimey
  • Options
    It's hard to avoid the conclusion now that Nick Clegg is up against it. Which is a shame because I've bet a fair bit on him keeping his seat.
  • Options
    Makes that Survation poll less of an outlier
  • Options
    Ouchie ouchie from Lord A, expect a slew of firms posting confirming they weren't the ones who did the polling.

I have not been in the habit of naming the polling companies I use, all of which are members of the British Polling Council, and I will not be naming this one. But I cannot allow this episode to cast doubt on the reliability of my polling more generally.

So I must disclose that these three surveys last November are the first and only I have commissioned from a well-known but relatively new polling firm. And no, I won’t be using them again.
  • Options
    Please no speculation on which pollster it was.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Of course this was pre Pub landlord in Thanet - the worm has turned.

Should imagine LA may get a discount on future polls.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

It's hard to avoid the conclusion now that Nick Clegg is up against it. Which is a shame because I've bet a fair bit on him keeping his seat.

Hold your nerve. Still some time to go yet and it would be a historic event for a party leader to lose their seat. This hasn't happened for a very long time (Balfour - 1906?).
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,983
    Clegg's team will really have to work on Conservative and UKIP supporters, to vote tactically.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    Business opportunity for May 2015, who is on the electoral bog roll?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-31189050
  • Options
    JWisemannJWisemann Posts: 1,082
    edited February 2015
    I still think the good lord should maybe think about looking at some of his other results, such as that clearly mental 6% tory lead last month without which the tory jan performance would look even more pathetic
  • Options
    If Clegg does lose, then it seems to me that it is game over for a Tory-LD coalition. Who would be their temporary leader during negotiations? Vince? Farron?
  • Options

antifrank said:

Hold your nerve. Still some time to go yet and it would be a historic event for a party leader to lose their seat. This hasn't happened for a very long time (Balfour - 1906?).
    I've not lost my nerve. He may still scramble home. But he's not value at the 2/5 best price currently available.
  • Options
    JWisemann said:

I still think the good lord should maybe think about looking at some of his other results, such as that clearly mental 6% tory lead last month without which the tory jan performance would look even more pathetic

Why? It was in line with the other polls.

Even you concede that Labour's lead is non-existent or barely exists, then a poll with the Tories 6 ahead is consistent with that, once you factor in margin of error, sampling variations and individual pollster house effects.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,920
    Sean_F said:

Clegg's team will really have to work on Conservative and UKIP supporters, to vote tactically.

Good luck with that when the Lib-Dems are running their coalition partners down at every available opportunity...
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,904
    At this rate Labour will be taking Huntingdon
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    Were those 3 comissioned specially together or were they part of a larger set?
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Perhaps they should have gone with the coalition coupon ticket idea which was briefly muted by some Tory and LDs a year or two ago?
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Sun leader today

@StigAbell: The Sun on UKIP: http://t.co/BgeAh0VMIo
  • Options
    The Times reported yesterday

The Conservatives have joined efforts to “decapitate” the Liberal Democrats by unseating Nick Clegg in his Sheffield Hallam constituency.....However, the local Conservative candidate made clear that no quarter would be given in the election fight. Ian Walker said that Mr Clegg’s character would be an issue, with voters believing that he was “damaged goods”.

Mr Walker said that the Conservatives would end up benefiting from Labour’s efforts to unseat Mr Clegg, with former Lib Dem voters coming to them to keep out Ed Miliband.

“I don’t want to decapitate the Liberals — I don’t care about them — I just want to de-Clegg Sheffield,” Mr Walker, a local businessman, said.
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    OT..The Rotherham Council Cabinet that resigned last week are still Councillors..Should EdM have a word
  • Options
    compouter2compouter2 Posts: 2,371
    I hope he didn't have the same problems with his Scottish polls as quite a few of you weighed in on the back of them.
  • Options

OT..The Rotherham Council Cabinet that resigned last week are still Councillors..Should EdM have a word

Andrew Neil's tweet implies he isn't impressed.

Andrew Neil ‏@afneil 7m7 minutes ago
    So #rotherham "cabinet" which turned blind eye to child sex slavery gone; but members still councillors picking up expenses and allowances?
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,904
    "Sun leader today

@StigAbell: The Sun on UKIP: http://t.co/BgeAh0VMIo"

Nothing quite as joyous as Murdoch panicking
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Once again the hunches of PBers are proved to have been correct. If i remember correctly we thought Farage was probably closer to winning in Thanet than the poll originally said and that Ed couldn't be in danger of losing his seat.
  • Options
    Drilling through the detail of the new poll - only a few % of the Green vote is from social class DE, which presumably students fall in to. C1 and C2 form the bulk of their vote in Hallam. This doesn't seem to fit the general narrative on the green surge.
  • Options
    So Ed is Crap is safe in Doncaster, yes?
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    As Tim Montgomerie comments and my reply:

Tim Montgomerie ن ‏@montie 19m19 minutes ago
    I'd love to know which polling company let @LordAshcroft down! http://www.conservativehome.com/platform/2015/02/lord-ashcroft-sheffield-hallam-doncaster-north-and-thanet-south.html

mike kaye ‏@atmikekayes3 9m9 minutes ago
    @montie @LordAshcroft Wouldn't we all. :)
  • Options
    The Tories haven't selected a candidate in Leeds North West which looks like an attempt to help Greg Mulholland hold his seat against Labour. I'm surprised they haven't done the same thing in Hallam.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    AndyJS said:

The Tories haven't selected a candidate in Leeds North West which looks like an attempt to help Greg Mulholland hold his seat against Labour. I'm surprised they haven't done the same thing in Hallam.

If Leeds Northwest is in trouble then the Lib Dems are heading for almost complete collapse against Labour.
  • Options
    My Bradford East, Brent and some other Lab-Lib shorty bets feel very safe right now
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    If Labour can't pick up 10-15 seats against the LDs they're really in trouble, especially with the Scottish situation. There aren't a huge number of guaranteed Labour gains from the Tories so they're relying on those 10 to 15 LD gains.
    Pulpstar said:

AndyJS said:

If Leeds Northwest is in trouble then the Lib Dems are heading for almost complete collapse against Labour.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,983
    TGOHF said:

Sun leader today

@StigAbell: The Sun on UKIP: http://t.co/BgeAh0VMIo

It depends on the seat in question. I think it would be absurd to vote UKIP in Harlow, Hendon, Enfield North, Watford, Stevenage, Wells, Somerton & Frome, Amber Valley etc.

I think that in Boston & Skegness, Castle Point, Thanet North & South, Dover, Rochester & Strood, Bognor Regis, Folkestone, there's no danger of a UKIP vote letting in the opposition. The seat will either be Conservative or UKIP.

In some seats, voting UKIP is the best bet to keep out Labour (Thurrock) or to gain from Labour (Grimsby, Rother Valley, Dudley North, Plymouth Moor View, Rotherham).
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

If Labour can't pick up 10-15 seats against the LDs they're really in trouble, especially with the Scottish situation. There aren't a huge number of guaranteed Labour gains from the Tories so they're relying on those 10 to 15 LD gains.

Pulpstar said:

AndyJS said:

At the same time the Lib Dem vote seems to be holding up alot relatively better against the Conservatives.
  • Options
    What we need is some polling naming Clegg and Farage.
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    edited February 2015
    Re: Business Taxation

For all his lecturing at Harvard, it is quite apparent that EdM and his sidekick EdB do not have a clue about the effects of globalisation on the efficient running of multinational companies and organisations.

Due to the truths that:

(i) For the same quality most people will buy the cheapest product - then that eliminates making most mass products in western Europe.

(ii) Market and product innovation and development is a very necessary but expensive luxury that has to be afforded by businesses that wish to stay in operation.

(iii) Increasing numbers of multinational businesses (including many from the Americas) are basing the registration of their business in places like Luxembourg, Lichtenstein, Switzerland and Monaco (and coming back to Ireland) , before you start looking at the more conventional tax havens. Now most of those are in the EU - but EdM carefully ignores these.

(iv). There is nothing to prevent a multinational business placing their registration and head office in a small and remote island and have small subsidiaries serving local operations in Europe. All back office functions can be run from there as well, where there is no taxation on employment.

(v) It is highly likely that China will set up tax havens for non-Chinese companies in places like Macau, Hong Kong etc, and especially for the financial sector.

So how will EdM's plans work - yet again it is all hot air that will produce little financial reward - more magic money tree.
  • Options

The Conservatives have joined efforts to “decapitate” the Liberal Democrats by unseating Nick Clegg in his Sheffield Hallam constituency.....However, the local Conservative candidate made clear that no quarter would be given in the election fight. Ian Walker said that Mr Clegg’s character would be an issue, with voters believing that he was “damaged goods”.

Mr Walker said that the Conservatives would end up benefiting from Labour’s efforts to unseat Mr Clegg, with former Lib Dem voters coming to them to keep out Ed Miliband.

“I don’t want to decapitate the Liberals — I don’t care about them — I just want to de-Clegg Sheffield,” Mr Walker, a local businessman, said.

Clegg is the Tories best chance of retaining power. Any other LibDem leader would be less inclined to stay in coalition.
  • Options
    From a strategic point of view running hard against Clegg is utterly, utterly crackers for the Tories.

Completely mad.
  • Options
    Betting lesson is perhaps don't lump on shorties going backwards quite a way out from the election ?
  • Options
    Labour leader give a speech to Labour Councillors. No mention of Rotherham, no apology.

http://press.labour.org.uk/post/110330920324/ed-miliband-mp-leader-of-the-labour-party-speech

He really is spineless.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,607
    edited February 2015

Clegg is the Tories best chance of retaining power. Any other LibDem leader would be less inclined to stay in coalition.
    I agree and is one of the reasons I was thinking of voting for Clegg in May.

I do get the feeling Ian Walker's comments fall into the catergory of well what else do you expect him to say.

However my inner Machivelian says is this a careful strategic plan from the Tories.

Imagine May the 7th.

The Tories largest party, Lib Dems massacred and leaderless, Labour engaging in infighting after losing 35 Scottish seats.

Could be a perfect situation for the Tories to take advantage of.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,403
    Even from Lord A's limited hint I think it is pretty obvious who the pollster is.

Those who are betting heavily on the stickiness of Lib Dems are getting seriously close to squeeky bum time.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Betting lesson is perhaps don't lump on shorties going backwards quite a way out from the election ?

The Con gain Twickenham bet doesn't look so bad now?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144
    dr_spyn said:

Labour leader give a speech to Labour Councillors. No mention of Rotherham, no apology.

http://press.labour.org.uk/post/110330920324/ed-miliband-mp-leader-of-the-labour-party-speech

He really is spineless.

Labour don't do apologies. It is in their DNA to believe that everything they do is always for the best, even when wearing the hindsight glasses.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763

I do get the feeling Ian Walker's comments fall into the catergory of well what else do you expect him to say.

However my inner Machivelian says is this a careful strategic plan from the Tories.

Imagine May the 7th.

The Tories largest party, Lib Dems massacred and leaderless, Labour engaging in infighting after losing 35 Scottish seats.

They'll only screw it up.

cue -" George that's another fine mess you've gotten me in to"
  • Options
    I suspect his Lordship might also be looking at the guarantee on those LibDem anti-gravity boots his polling says they are wearing.....
  • Options
    If the Lib Dems lose more seats than expected, doesn't that help the blues more than the reds?
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Once again the hunches of PBers are proved to have been correct. If i remember correctly we thought Farage was probably closer to winning in Thanet than the poll originally said and that Ed couldn't be in danger of losing his seat.

Me and isam have a bet on Ed getting over 50% of the vote in Doncaster. Me saying yes, him saying no. I had given up on it, but looks like I am in with a chance. We have beer and lunch on it, I believe.

• Options

Imagine May the 7th.

Sometimes it's possible to be too 'Machiavellian'. What coalitions are possible will all come down to the numbers, but personalities are important too. If a Tory/LibDem coalition is possible AND Nick Clegg is still leader then that is the likely outcome. If he isn't then it is much more likely that the LibDems will go into opposition or even support a Labour led coalition if the numbers allow that.
  • Options
    Man with money to burn burns money.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    Pulpstar said:

In fairness pulpy, I might end up paying you out on our Hallam/Solihull bet.

:)
  • Options

If the Lib Dems lose more seats than expected, doesn't that help the blues more than the reds?

Self evidently, it depends on who they lose them to. Nick Clegg losing Hallam would help Labour and hinder the Tories. Unless you're suggesting that the Tories could win Hallam, in which case, do you fancy a bet ;-).
  • Options
    IOSIOS Posts: 1,450
    Didn't the first poll in Doncaster have Ed only 5 points ahead. There was then a weekend of speculation and undermining - it was then revised more in Eds favour. Now he is on course for a landslide?

Is this the same one poll.
  • Options
    Mr. Song, I was thinking more of seats in the south-west, to be honest.
  • Options
    If the LibDems get say 30 seats and prop up Ed - and if as expected Ed turns out to be as popular as scrofula - then that will kill off the rest of the party. A Farron or a Cable who has just taken control isn't going to want the last rites read over the party he has just taken charge of, so I suspect the LibDems will be very aloof with all parties, whatever the arithmetic.

They can spend a few years doing what served them so well for decades, sucking air through their teeth and saying "oh, I wouldn't do that...."
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Even from Lord A's limited hint I think it is pretty obvious who the pollster is.

Those who are betting heavily on the stickiness of Lib Dems are getting seriously close to squeeky bum time.

I'm not sure it's wise to extrapolate the LD stickiness effect from a clegg/hallam poll.

The LD's could still get 25-30 seats while clegg loses his.
  • Options
    The Tories have 30 selections still to make in England.

8 of them are in South Yorkshire: Don Valley, Doncaster Central, Doncaster North, Penistone & Stocksbridge, Sheffield Central, Sheffield Brightside & Hillsborough, Barnsley Central, Barnsley East.
  • Options

Mr. Song, I was thinking more of seats in the south-west, to be honest.

Yes that makes more sense. But there, in most cases, Labour aren't in contention and you have two parties of Government facing each other, both are likely to lose popularity. In the south west, if you wanted a Labour victory (and you were being logical about it) you'd vote to deprive the Tories of seats.
  • Options

His Lordship: -

"So I must disclose that these three surveys last November are the first and only I have commissioned from a well-known but relatively new polling firm. And no, I won’t be using them again."

A wise move by his lordship imho – and red faces in the boardroom for all those concerned.!
  • Options

If the LibDems get say 30 seats and prop up Ed - and if as expected Ed turns out to be as popular as scrofula - then that will kill off the rest of the party. A Farron or a Cable who has just taken control isn't going to want the last rites read over the party he has just taken charge of, so I suspect the LibDems will be very aloof with all parties, whatever the arithmetic.

They can spend a few years doing what served them so well for decades, sucking air through their teeth and saying "oh, I wouldn't do that...."

Yes, I tend to agree. I can see the current coalition continuing only if Clegg wins and the numbers stack up. Besides, Labour won't have thought through how to make a coalition work, unlike the Tories.
  • Options
    Anyone want a bet on the LD majority in Hallam? I think Clegg will hold on, just.
  • Options
    edited February 2015

Imagine May the 7th.

You are misunderestimating Dave & George's strategic brilliance.

Thanks to them, they saved the Union and managed to destroy Scottish Labour in the process.

Hell, I can actually foresee the Tories ahead of Labour in seat numbers in North Britain.

That's how brilliant they are.
  • Options

Imagine May the 7th.

Thanks to them, they saved the Union and managed to destroy Scottish Labour in the process.

Hell, I can actually foresee the Tories ahead of Labour in seat numbers in North Britain.

Your humour and brilliance is only exceeded by that of your hero 'Dubya' http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bushism.
  • Options
    I've only just picked up that the new Lib Dem candidate in Somerton & Frome is David Rendel, formerly the Newbury MP.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,062
    TSE - you've repeatedly claimed Clegg was a certainty in Hallam and yet you've also flirted with voting tactically for him. If you're so certain he'll win why not vote for the party you love and those two strategic 'geniuses' Cameron and Osborne.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763

Imagine May the 7th.

So they handed Scotland to the SNP and are on course to have Salmond hold EdM's knackers for the next 5 years.

I haven't seen such strategic brilliance since Napoleon went to fetch caviar in Moscow.
  • Options

Imagine May the 7th.

Your humour and brilliance is only exceeded by that of your hero 'Dubya' http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bushism.
    George W Bush was never a hero of mine.
  • Options
    edited February 2015

TSE - you've repeatedly claimed Clegg was a certainty in Hallam and yet you've also flirted with voting tactically for him. If you're so certain he'll win why not vote for the party you love and those two strategic 'geniuses' Cameron and Osborne.

I'm more tempted to move to Rochester and register there so I can vote to oust the TPD

I still think Clegg is safe.
  • Options

Imagine May the 7th.

Dubya did have one great insight into the politics of your base though, which Ed appears to have embraced:

"You can fool some of the people all of the time. And those are the ones you want..."

• Options
    Mark Fletcher selected as Conservative candidate for Doncaster North:

twitter.com/willknock/status/563811217714970624
  • Options

I'm more tempted to move to Rochester and register there so I can vote to oust the TPD

I still think Clegg is safe.
    Paddy have moved Labour into 2/1 from 7/2 and Lib now 1/3 from 1/6.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

I've only just picked up that the new Lib Dem candidate in Somerton & Frome is David Rendel, formerly the Newbury MP.

The original LD candidate was Sarah Yong.

http://www.libdemvoice.org/sarah-yong-stands-down-as-lib-dem-candidate-for-marginal-seat-of-somerton-and-frome-41551.html
  • Options
    Pong said:

Anyone want a bet on the LD majority in Hallam? I think Clegg will hold on, just.

I agree, tactical voting by Tories will see him home by a narrow margin.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    edited February 2015

If LD lost Hallam to LAb that is bad news for Tories.Much better to stay yellow

• Options

Imagine May the 7th.

So they handed Scotland to the SNP and are on course to have Salmond hold EdM's knackers for the next 5 years.

I haven't seen such strategic brilliance since Napoleon went to fetch caviar in Moscow.
    You're not factoring George Osborne's magnificent stewardship of the UK economy which will be a vote winner for the Blues in May.

And on that note I shall stop trolling you as I have stuff to do this afternoon
  • Options
    antifrank said:

An old Etonian who is not a Tory.

• Options
    The campaign starts in 9 weeks' time. The LDs still have 250 candidates to select.
  • Options
    Mr. Smithson, agree on Hallam, but I did say 'more seats', rather than just that one in particular.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,459
    edited February 2015
    This is why I ALWAYS look at His Lordship's National poll tables to double-check whether his published figures make sense, after making the necessary calculation for spiral of silence, and then plug the CALCULATED figures into ELBOW.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

The campaign starts in 9 weeks' time. The LDs still have 250 candidates to select.

Those are in seats where no effort will be put in.

• Options

dr_spyn said:

He really is spineless.

Labour don't do apologies. It is in their DNA to believe that everything they do is always for the best, even when wearing the hindsight glasses.
    Ed's speech "In every area, I see Labour in local government leading the way and being at the heart of the next Labour government’s work."

Rotherham?
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Odd that just 2 candidates have been selected for Penistone & Stocksbridge so far: Angela Smith (Lab) and Colin Porter (Eng Dem). You'd have thought Con, UKIP and - to a lesser extent - the LDs would all interested in the constituency.
  • Options

Imagine May the 7th.

You're not factoring George Osborne's magnificent stewardship of the UK economy which will be a vote winner for the Blues in May.

And on that note I shall stop trolling you as I have stuff to do this afternoon
    Sometimes I wonder if you are trolling yourself. George is looking at a voteless recovery so far. Lab>SNP/Green switching doesn't change that.
  • Options
    What makes a huge difference in constituency polls is when you name the candidates. This is now being done by the parties in their private polls and an uplift for incumbents, bigger than with the Ashcroft 2nd question, is often seen I am told. This is particularly the case in Scotland.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Odd that just 2 candidates have been selected for Penistone & Stocksbridge so far: Angela Smith (Lab) and Colin Porter (Eng Dem). You'd have thought Con, UKIP and - to a lesser extent - the LDs would all interested in the constituency.

There was a time when Penistone would get blocked by the spam filter.

• Options
    For those wot missed it, January's "Super-ELBOW" - all polls with field-work end-dates 1st Jan to 31st Jan, a total of 43 polls with a total weighted sample of 49,086.

(changes from December in brackets)

Lab 33.3% (-0.4)
    Con 32.1% (+0.1)
    UKIP 15.2% (-0.3)
    LD 7.3% (-0.1)
    Green 6.5% (+0.5)

https://twitter.com/Sunil_P2/status/564030761100402689
  • Options

You pick up on the increase in exurban commuters / Conservative voters.

But you miss the associated demographic changes within urban areas - which are pro-Labour.

Which, for example, makes the likes of Enfield North and Brentford (and Enfield Southgate and Ilford North) far more likely to change hands than their majorities suggest.
    While Enfield North is in Greater London, this particular part of London Politically goes out of London in reality into what is better described as Hertfordshire Green Belt.

For Brentford and Isleworth, I said "Tory Chiswick, Labour Isleworth. Good barometer seat for London.Another one Labour need to win if they are serious" which aligns with your view

Enfield Southgate and Ilford North are not considered as they are not among the thirty most marginal seats, however I think them more likely to change hands than Enfield North, because they are areas that said commuters are moving out from!
  • Options

What makes a huge difference in constituency polls is when you name the candidates. This is now being done by the parties in their private polls and an uplift for incumbents, bigger than with the Ashcroft 2nd question, is often seen I am told. This is particularly the case in Scotland.

I am sure about 70% of the public think politicians are generally awful but also about 70% think their local MP is a good egg and not like the rest of 'em.
  • Options
    Roger said:

No, but UKIP might.
  • Options
    Robert Kimbell ‏@RedHotSquirrel 22m22 minutes ago
    Nigel Farage to speak to North East UKIP Conference this weekend http://mirr.im/1C6qSRg
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
  • Options
    Sky News Newsdesk ‏@SkyNewsBreak 2h2 hours ago
    Election planned for 14 February in #Nigeria to be postponed to give a new multinational force time to secure areas under #BokoHaram control
    |
    |
    Barry Ukip ‏@BarryUkip 29m29 minutes ago
    @SkyNewsBreak @Safadreamer Maybe we need a multinational force to allow a fair election in Rotherham. South Yorkshire police are useless

I can't disagree with that.

• Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

AndyJS said:

Those are in seats where no effort will be put in.

Will they select? Could affect the Lost Deposit market, as well as forcing some tactical voting.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Financier said:

(iii) Increasing numbers of multinational businesses (including many from the Americas) are basing the registration of their business in places like Luxembourg, Lichtenstein, Switzerland and Monaco (and coming back to Ireland) , before you start looking at the more conventional tax havens. Now most of those are in the EU - but EdM carefully ignores these.

Those are just for transparency/obsfucation reasons - the money all gets siphoned off to Caribbean (often British dependecies) tax havens in the end same as before.

• Options
    NATOSource retweeted
    Mathias Blumencron ‏@mtblumencron 8m8 minutes ago
    A scary situation at #MSC2015: Never during the last 20 years the West and Russia were so far apart.
  • Options

Roger said:

No, but UKIP might.
    UKIP are 100/1 with Betfair in this seat.
  • Options

UKIP opens campaign office in Wolverhampton city centre http://t.co/eomiVcodDQ pic.twitter.com/5oD02iqI47

— UKIP (@UKIP) February 6, 2015
  • Options
    Latest News Headlines

A government survey has shown that 91% of illegal immigrants come to Britain
    so that they can see their own doctor.

---------------------------------------

Due to the current economic crisis, Greece is cancelling all production of
    humus and Taramasalata. It's a double dip recession.

And its goodnight from me, and goodnight from him.....
  • Options

You pick up on the increase in exurban commuters / Conservative voters.

But you miss the associated demographic changes within urban areas - which are pro-Labour.

Which, for example, makes the likes of Enfield North and Brentford (and Enfield Southgate and Ilford North) far more likely to change hands than their majorities suggest.
    While Enfield North is in Greater London, this particular part of London Politically goes out of London in reality into what is better described as Hertfordshire Green Belt.

For Brentford and Isleworth, I said "Tory Chiswick, Labour Isleworth. Good barometer seat for London.Another one Labour need to win if they are serious" which aligns with your view

Enfield Southgate and Ilford North are not considered as they are not among the thirty most marginal seats, however I think them more likely to change hands than Enfield North, because they are areas that said commuters are moving out from!
    Ilford North, which is where I'm based, was only 44% White British in 2011.
This discussion has been closed.