Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Tories take the lead with Survation for the first time in t

Comments

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,543
    Cyclefree said:

Hasn't OGH said that the Tories need to be 6% ahead before they stop losing seats to Labour?

So even on these polls EdM rather than Cameron is likely to be PM.

Or have I missed something?

No you are right. The lead at the last election was 7.1% so a lead of 1% really doesn't cut it. There is also the factor that scotland means the Tories have to be even further ahead in England to achieve the same result. I think the Tory vote will be more efficient this time but Labour still have an advantage. Finally although there are some slightly better figures tonight it would be fair to say the main driver of this is Labours continued decline.

But they must seriously regret not getting rid of that muppet when they had time to do so.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

I do wonder where the Tories would be polling now if they hadn't shed so much of their Right flank to UKIP. 36%+ is my guess.

The Tory vote has held up surprisingly well considering the rise of UKIP. This must be a combination of two factors: A lot of Kipper supporters are not ex Tory; for every Tory lost to the Kippers another Tory has been recruited from elsewhere.

The presence of UKIP in itself helps detox the Tory brand to a lot of centrist voters, and these centrist voters will be more likely to be in marginal constituencies than the turnip taliban.

• Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited January 2015
    Scott_P said:

@iainmartin1: Mirror's Survation poll tonight has Lib Dems on 7% and @theSNP on 5%. The Lib Dems could be overtaken by the Nats.

That figure is difficult to believe because in 2010 the total number of votes in Scotland accounted for 8.5% of the GB total, so if the SNP are on 5% that implies almost 60% of the Scottish vote.
  • Options
    A couple of years ago, you would have been laughed off PB if you had said, we would have three polls in one day with Tory leads AND UKIP polling between 15% and 23%
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,013
    Cyclefree said:

Hasn't OGH said that the Tories need to be 6% ahead before they stop losing seats to Labour?

If he can hold the Conservatives to a 1% lead, he'll probably be PM. The danger is if the lead widens.

• Options
    Chris_AChris_A Posts: 1,237
    If you put that Survation result into Electoral Calculus you come out with complete nonsense. It predicts every one of UKIP's 10 gains is in Scotland - including Orkney & Shetland.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

No you are right. The lead at the last election was 7.1% so a lead of 1% really doesn't cut it. There is also the factor that scotland means the Tories have to be even further ahead in England to achieve the same result. I think the Tory vote will be more efficient this time but Labour still have an advantage. Finally although there are some slightly better figures tonight it would be fair to say the main driver of this is Labours continued decline.

But they must seriously regret not getting rid of that muppet when they had time to do so.
    They must be getting desperate if bad Al is back/.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    DavidL said:

Armando Ianucci has been quoted as saying the inspiration for making Nicola Murray leader of the opposition was Ed's successful bid. If he could do it, why couldn't she.

Nobody though to ask the obvious question. Even if she could do it, it didn't mean he could...
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,036
    edited January 2015
    Hmm I thought Ed was going to be PM - maybe not. But I couldn't give a toss today because I won £300 on the horses :D

@Peterthepunter Tipster of the year
  • Options
    Chris_A said:

If you put that Survation result into Electoral Calculus you come out with complete nonsense. It predicts every one of UKIP's 10 gains is in Scotland - including Orkney & Shetland.

Baxter uses uniform swing which most people think won't be much help this year.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,464
    AndyJS said:

Scott_P said:

@iainmartin1: Mirror's Survation poll tonight has Lib Dems on 7% and @theSNP on 5%. The Lib Dems could be overtaken by the Nats.

That figure is difficult to believe because in 2010 the total number of votes in Scotland accounted for 8.5% of the GB total, so if the SNP are on 5% that implies almost 60% of the Scottish vote.
    Could just be a weird subsample or a rounding effect. 4.5% would still be about 55% in Scotland but that's MoE of the high 40s they have been polling in.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,322
    Take a look at the Wiki page - and what did Maggie say .........

Rejoice!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_2015_United_Kingdom_general_election
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    edited January 2015
    JWisemann said:

Decent day for the Tories but lets get it in perspective - they are leads of one point, and it's still only six leads out of 36 in January. They've got a way to go before we can call it anything like real crossover. It's the same number of poll leads as November and we only have a handful left.

Kudos for posting.

[Waves to compouter]

• Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913
    In Jan 2010, the Tories led Labour 40 points to 29 and ended up in a hung parliament.
  • Options
    chestnut said:

NHS in Winter disappears taking Labour with it.

The January figures will be bad when published, but some real improvements underway.

Last week Leicester's A E 4 hour target was passed at 97%; and mostly due to discharges exceeding admissions. The tide locally has changed, at least for present. If this is being replicated elsewhere then Labour's NHS card has been played out.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    Jonathan said:

In Jan 2010, the Tories led Labour 40 points to 29 and ended up in a hung parliament.

polling suggested they did, polls are not results and can be inaccurate.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Mainly thanks to Cleggmania...
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,013

I do wonder where the Tories would be polling now if they hadn't shed so much of their Right flank to UKIP. 36%+ is my guess.

The Tory vote has held up surprisingly well considering the rise of UKIP. This must be a combination of two factors: A lot of Kipper supporters are not ex Tory; for every Tory lost to the Kippers another Tory has been recruited from elsewhere.

The presence of UKIP in itself helps detox the Tory brand to a lot of centrist voters, and these centrist voters will be more likely to be in marginal constituencies than the turnip taliban.

There are loads of UKIP voters in marginal seats. UKIP's best chances of gains are mostly in marginal seats.

UKIP's support falls away very sharply in certain regions (Greater London, Scotland, Welsh-speaking Wales) or specific types of seat (university cities, very wealthy seats) rather than in marginals per se.

• Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,927

Sean_F said:

Who'd bet against Rod Crosby, now?

Sean_F said:

Big John and Compouter?
    One good night of polling does not a GE2015 win.

All 4 polls today would result in EICIPM but Lab has to stem the flow or Tories biggest party would be favourite.

Kingsman was really good film. Bit of a Bond with more lots of humour.

SPOILER ALERT
    DO NOT READ THE NEXT SENTENCE IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO KNOW ONE OF THE FUNNIEST LINES

TSE will love it methinks one of the most surprising lines came from the Princess of Sweden "If you save the world we can do it in the A**. Now you dont get that in a Bond film.
  • Options
    Wow ...... a huge night for the Tories, where are the blue bar charts I ask myself.

It looks as if the much-maligned Rod Crosby may yet be proved spot on!
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245

It will be interesting to see how many kippers actually turn out and vote. I get the impression that a fair chunk of their support comes from the screw 'em all camp, which is no great incentive to turn out on the day. But strange things have happened and they may surprise me.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    If anyone think there's any possibility of the LD's polling under 5%, then rather than betting on seat bands or individual constituencis, a better bet would be Alistair Carmichael for next LD leader.

He's 20/1 at every major bookmaker.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,950
    Jonathan said:

Yes, the Opposition lead 40% to 29% in Jan 2010 and ***STILL*** didn't have enough of a lead to survive swingback.

What hope for the Labour opposition now...
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Jonathan said:

Mainly thanks to Cleggmania...
    That poll is within MOE of 2010 result.

Tories have shed 7-10%, Labour stand still over the parliament. Doesn't quite square with talk upthread is of Tory outright win, but we'll see.

Agree thought that current mood music favours Tories. Labour always need some enthusiasm to win office. Tories don't.

• Options
    Sean_F said:

There are loads of UKIP voters in marginal seats. UKIP's best chances of gains are mostly in marginal seats.

UKIP's support falls away very sharply in certain regions (Greater London, Scotland, Welsh-speaking Wales) or specific types of seat (university cities, very wealthy seats) rather than in marginals per se.

I think that UKIP will mostly pick up votes across the true blue shires and not actually impact on many seats (not least because their votes will come from several parties). The Tories will pick up LD seats and also in midland marginal seats, in small towns and suburbs, where elections are decided.

It may be good second places for the Kippers, which may be useful if there is a second 2010 election.
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    GDP figures tomorrow at 9.30 am....could be an important component (either way) of the economic narrative.
  • Options
    edited January 2015

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Big John and Compouter?

All 4 polls today would result in EICIPM but Lab has to stem the flow or Tories biggest party would be favourite.

The point Labour supporters always miss is that where we're currently at, as of January 2015, is just part of a process that's been going on since Spring 2013.

After being in a slow decline for nearly two years how/why should Labour suddenly "stem the flow" now?

The trend will continue, as it has, to polling day which means by May 7th it is highly likely that the Tories will win the national share of the vote, have most votes and most seats and should be able to carry on in government either as a minority government or in coalition.

A majority for the Tories still looks unlikely to me...

• Options

Sean_F said:

I think that UKIP will mostly pick up votes across the true blue shires and not actually impact on many seats (not least because their votes will come from several parties). The Tories will pick up LD seats and also in midland marginal seats, in small towns and suburbs, where elections are decided.

It may be good second places for the Kippers, which may be useful if there is a second 2010 election.
    I can confidently forecast there will be no 2nd GE in 2010!!
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193
    I'm beginning to think that notwithstanding the Ashcroft polling in their seats, the LibDems must be close to an extinction event with these tiny levels of support. Their election is going to be fronted by a guy that is simply voter repellent. Their fortunes seem to have slumped even further since their near extinction in the Euros.

They are still trying to straddle two horses headed in different directions. They cannot expect to get credit for improving the economy or introducing zero taxes for low earners when they are so semi-detached from the Govt. and still seem embarrassed to be part.

• Options
    JonnyJimmyJonnyJimmy Posts: 2,548
    Did Milibelievers miss my earlier question? How do you sell Ed as PM material? There's been a "you don't" answer, but surely Labour can sell their man better than that..
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053

A couple of years ago, you would have been laughed off PB if you had said, we would have three polls in one day with Tory leads AND UKIP polling between 15% and 23%

Election Night will be a blast.
  • Options

Wow ...... a huge night for the Tories, where are the blue bar charts I ask myself.

Datawrapper isn't working tonight. So no bar charts.

Is an arse as I spent 100 euros of my own money last year so PB could use the charts in thread headers.
  • Options
    The potential dream scenario for the LDs arises. The Tories stay in power, without the LDs. They have to deliver on Europe promises and inevitably make a hash of it. Labour react badly to defeat.

Meanwhile, the LDs find a route back to relevance, pointing to their role in the relatively calm days of the coalition, before the nutters took over.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Big John and Compouter?

The point Labour supporters always miss is that where we're currently at, as of January 2015, is just part of a process that's been going on since Spring 2013.

After being in a slow decline for nearly two years how/why should Labour suddenly "stem the flow" now?

The trend will continue, as it has, to polling day which means by May 7th it is highly likely that the Tories will win the national share of the vote, have most votes and most seats and should be able to carry on in government either as a minority government or in coalition.

We will see.

Certainly a wake up call for left of centre voters intending to vote green. Cant see the Lab vote dropping much further myself.

As I say we will see if I am wrong I will admit I was wrong but I still think unless Lab declines by about a further 3% EICIPM is still likely.

Have to admit I am less confident of this outcome than prior to Xmas but think it is still all to play for.
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,883
    YouGov Wales poll
    Lab 37% (+1) Con 23% (-) UKIP 16% (-2) Plaid Cymru 10% (-1) Greens 8% (+1) LD 6% (+1)

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/general-election-could-damp-squib-8521804?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    Artist said:

YouGov Wales poll
    Lab 37% (+1) Con 23% (-) UKIP 16% (-2) Plaid Cymru 10% (-1) Greens 8% (+1) LD 6% (+1)

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/general-election-could-damp-squib-8521804?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Just a 2% swing since 2010...
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    JohnO said:

GDP figures tomorrow at 9.30 am....could be an important component (either way) of the economic narrative.

I fancy that the instability caused by a hard-left government in Greece may be a bigger factor.

'No time for a novice'.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,118

Did Milibelievers miss my earlier question? How do you sell Ed as PM material? There's been a "you don't" answer, but surely Labour can sell their man better than that..

In the battle of the blands, Cameron is a slightly more appealing bland, so I'm not sure what else Labour could do on that front, it's just a question of whether the lack of answer will sink them or not. I'd prefer a Cameron led coalition to continue, though I'm open to being convinced on that point, but I just don't think Labour need to fear the lack of an answer as much as some people think. They shouldn't have let it even get to become a potential issue, but it's the only significant thing the Tories have going for them (the economy is a maybe as it is to start slowing, we have been warned, most people haven't felt the effects - though they are beginning to - the deficit reduction has failed, and even if things are better, Labour could not seem as fearful a risk as a result)

I'm beginning to think that notwithstanding the Ashcroft polling in their seats, the LibDems must be close to an extinction event with these tiny levels of support. Their election is going to be fronted by a guy that is simply voter repellent. Their fortunes seem to have slumped even further since their near extinction in the Euros.

They are still trying to straddle two horses headed in different directions. They cannot expect to get credit for improving the economy or introducing zero taxes for low earners when they are so semi-detached from the Govt. and still seem embarrassed to be part.

Indeed. At these levels, anywhere is a potential loss. Sure they could get lucky, rebound a little and concentrate support where it is most needed and get 25-35 depending on how much of a GE boost they get (if any), but the complacency is a little ridiculous given they are still leaking support. At this point, the leakage surely has to be in part people who still want to vote LD but don't think they can win anywhere as I would have thought the Red Liberals had jumped ship to Labour and the Greens long ago.
  • Options
    Tomorrows BJESUS has Lab on lowest number of seats since it began in June. Tories still not at their highest level.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,118
    chestnut said:

JohnO said:

I fancy that the instability caused by a hard-left government in Greece may be a bigger factor.

'No time for a novice'.
    That's what Gordon told us too.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Big John and Compouter?

We will see.

Certainly a wake up call for left of centre voters intending to vote green. Cant see the Lab vote dropping much further myself.

As I say we will see if I am wrong I will admit I was wrong but I still think unless Lab declines by about a further 3% EICIPM is still likely.

Have to admit I am less confident of this outcome than prior to Xmas but think it is still all to play for.
    I'm not so sure. From where Labour is now I could see them dropping another 2-3% before polling day, which brings the outside possibility that Ed could actually poll worse than El Gord, LOL!!!

• Options
    edited January 2015
    kle4 said:

That's what Gordon told us too.

Yep, and it would have worked without a £150bn annual deficit and especially 2.5 million unemployed.
  • Options
    Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411
    I think Lab could get 25%!!!
  • Options
    JohnO said:

GDP figures should be good, probably 0.7% for the quarter finishing off a good year but they make no obvious difference to polling.
  • Options
    Peter Checksfield ‏@petercmargate 3h3 hours ago
    @UKIPNorthThanet @ukip_sththanet I'm 52 years young & I've just joined a political party for the first time in my life..#UKIP of course! : )

And with that brief look at a possible future, good night all.
  • Options
    Ave_it said:

And UKIP 24%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    I feel a thread where I compare Ed to Hannibal coming up.
  • Options
    Ave_it said:

I don't think 25%, but something like Con 34% Lab 28% looks not a totally unrealistic possibility from here, IMO.

• Options
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Big John and Compouter?

We will see.

I'm not so sure. From where Labour is now I could see them dropping another 2-3% before polling day, which brings the outside possibility that Ed could actually poll worse than El Gord, LOL!!!

I would be surprised if Lab drops below Brown levels,

Only way it could happen IMO is if the left of centre voters who fell for LD promises make same mistake with Greens in 2015.

As most people realise we either have a CON or LAB lead Govt. Voting for fringe parties on the left just makes the former more likely.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,098
    If ukip can poll around 16-17% as they have today, and the two big parties poll continue around 61-62% it will be better than I could possibly have hoped for

Surprised polling low 30s is such a celebration time for the cons, although some take it as a reason to Baxter 37% I see

Let's see what happens if ukip poll 30%, just a number ive plucked out of the air for no reason
  • Options
    Ashcroft, Comres, Ipsos, Survation and YouGov have all polled Labour at 30 or below at some point in the last two months.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,029
    EMICIPM?
  • Options
    Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411
    GN all - 10% clear tomorrow!
  • Options
    RobD said:

EMICIPM?

Were you airborne today ?
  • Options

RobD said:

EMICIPM?

No, but had to go and get my delayed bag from the airport. Tenuous, but the link is there ;)
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    chestnut said:

Ashcroft, Comres, Ipsos, Survation and YouGov have all polled Labour at 30 or below at some point in the last two months.

What a strange thing to come out with... What is your point?

Do you know how many firms have had the conservatives on 30 or lower in the same period?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193
    Ave_it said:

Maybe 26%....

We still have a very political budget to be delivered by Osborne. Expect some very populist measure funded out of the higher tax take from reducing top rates from 50% to 45%. Labour will thcweem and thcweem and thcweem until they are sick, but it will be a win for George. Also Inheritence Tax will feature, aimed at pulling back kippers. I also would not be surprised to see something given back to students. Whether it will be enough to help the LibDems regain some credit with lost student support is moot. It may be George gets that credit.

I also still expect Labour to have a mare of a campaign and to lose several points once the election is called.
  • Options
    isam said:

Surprised polling low 30s is such a celebration time for the cons, although some take it as a reason to Baxter 37% I see

I guess the reason is that being a party of government, Con supporters know they have further room for improvement between now and polling day, while the principle opposition should lose a bit more.

Can't see Con getting to 37% though. Mid 30's looks the most they can expect. Down a bit from 2010. Labour somewhere close to where they was in 2010 (maybe up a bit or even down a bit) UKIP up a lot and Lib-Dem's.... LOL!
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    Hasn't that moniker been retired on PB after a glorious innings?

I had to read the comment several times as it was so un-Tim-like...
  • Options
    Seems a long time since ogh tweet on how the Ashcroft poll was the first one this year labour weren't behind.....
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

EMICIPM?

No, but had to go and get my delayed bag from the airport. Tenuous, but the link is there ;)
    You're spending election night in an airport.
  • Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Big John and Compouter?

We will see.

It seems to me the current Labour numbers reflect a schism with the anti nuclear far (hard?) left. The pacifist left. Will they continue to desert? The LDs were the repository of choice for all of them last time. Given the disillusion with cleggasm what is significant is that they are not going back to Labour. There is of course time... which makes voting tory all the more important.
  • Options

Seems a long time since ogh tweet on how the Ashcroft poll was the first one this year labour weren't behind.....

Eh?
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

EMICIPM?

You're spending election night in an airport.
    I may actually be flying back home the night before, so those eve of election polls are going to be interesting ;)
  • Options
    One swallow does not make a summer but what would consistent Tory leads do to Labour morale? They look a bit fragile to me.
  • Options
    saddosaddo Posts: 534
    Interesting times for the comrades. Even though the Greens are complete nut cases, they have a strange allure for the leftie types who "really care". If Labour continue to dribble away, it gets to May, and its very obvious Ed is a worse version of Michael Foot & labour ain't got no hope at all of winning, what's to say the loopy leftie types won't go Green and really trash the Labour vote?

• Options

Is an arse as I spent 100 euros of my own money last year so PB could use the charts in thread headers.
    And that was when 100 Euros was worth a 100 Euros too.

• Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    DavidL said:

One swallow does not make a summer but what would consistent Tory leads do to Labour morale? They look a bit fragile to me.

At this point I don't think that morale would be much affected so long as it remains close - everyone has their plans set in concrete so it's really just a question of getting on with it. But I do empathise more with DavidL and others at the long string of Labour +1 results - I can see now how annoying they must have been! :-)
  • Options

Hmm ..... funny how OGH always seems able to illustrate the headers with red bar charts.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Dave needs to let Ed win PMQS this week.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    Is this the Leon Brittan effect? His obituaries meaning the papers were full of Thatcherite nostalgia for those voters who like that sort of thing.
  • Options
    It will be interesting to see how the betting markets move tomorrow, especially Sporting's GE Seats spread-betting market, which IIRC the Tories have never headed since it was introduced a month or two back. Before tonight's polls both Lab and the Tories were offered at mid-spread levels of 282 (i.e. 279-285 seats)
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    edited January 2015
    DavidL said:

One swallow does not make a summer .

It rather depends who's doing the swallowing.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    isam said:

Ceilings and floors. Upper ranges, lower ranges.

Bit by bit Labour are discovering and hitting lower ranges, and Brown polled 29.7%, so once they start going 30% or lower, what does that imply about Labour's eventual vote share?

• Options
    edited January 2015
    chestnut said:

isam said:

Ceilings and floors. Upper ranges, lower ranges.

Bit by bit Labour are discovering and hitting lower ranges, and Brown polled 29.7%, so once they start going 30% or lower, what does that imply about Labour's eventual vote share?

What levels did they go down to in the polls pre 2010 GE?

• Options
    I go away from the site for a few hours and all hell breaks loose with all these Tory leads :)
  • Options
    isam said:

Does that matter? They were the government then, now they are the opposition.

Incumbency advantage.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Another good reason to move south...the northeast is facing a snow storm of 'historic proportions'. Up to 3 feet of snow for Boston. New Jersey and Massachusetts have already been declared disaster areas.

They are forecasting 70mph winds on eastern Long Island. All NYC public transport has been taken off the road.
  • Options
    saddo said:

Interesting times for the comrades. Even though the Greens are complete nut cases, they have a strange allure for the leftie types who "really care". If Labour continue to dribble away, it gets to May, and its very obvious Ed is a worse version of Michael Foot & labour ain't got no hope at all of winning, what's to say the loopy leftie types won't go Green and really trash the Labour vote?

Nah, all Labour need do is to hand out DVD copies of the Greens' Aussie Leader Natalie Bennett's alarming ultra-left doctrinal interview with Andrew Neill yesterday and that should do the trick in seeing her party all but totally destroyed electorally.
  • Options

It will be interesting to see how the betting markets move tomorrow, especially Sporting's GE Seats spread-betting market, which IIRC the Tories have never headed since it was introduced a month or two back. Before tonight's polls both Lab and the Tories were offered at mid-spread levels of 282 (i.e. 279-285 seats)

I'm not touching that market with a 50 foot barge pole.
  • Options
    As far as calling the odds is concerned the online speccie is just a megaphone for the kipperati. These days they have to shout very loud to each other.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

You could try using Roman Polanski - he's a pole nobody wants to touch.
  • Options
    peter_from_putneypeter_from_putney Posts: 6,875
    edited January 2015
    Well it was something of a howler, especially coming from a bookie!
  • Options
    chestnut said:

isam said:

Incumbency advantage.
    Doesn't really matter to me but I would say all that's happening is labour are losing votes to the SNP, who will no doubt prop them up in a hung parliament.

Tory vote is declining as well just not as quickly as labours, but they have no obvious partner to make Dave PM

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

But it's OGH's favourite GE market doncha know?
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,159

Is this the Leon Brittan effect? His obituaries meaning the papers were full of Thatcherite nostalgia for those voters who like that sort of thing.

"Ah, takes me back to those wonderful days at the Carlton Club"
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

Another good reason to move south...the northeast is facing a snow storm of 'historic proportions'. Up to 3 feet of snow for Boston. New Jersey and Massachusetts have already been declared disaster areas.

They are forecasting 70mph winds on eastern Long Island. All NYC public transport has been taken off the road.

Global warming - ain't it COOOLL?! :)
  • Options

Hannibal?

"An opinion pollster once tested me..." :)
  • Options

Tim_B said:

Global warming - ain't it COOOLL?! :)
    It certainly is here - we're on high wind advisory most of the night, (no such thing as a 'gale' here), and we will drop below freezing overnight.
  • Options

Hannibal?

Hannibal?

Lecter?
  • Options
    isam said:

chestnut said:

isam said:

Incumbency advantage.
    Doesn't really matter to me but I would say all that's happening is labour are losing votes to the SNP, who will no doubt prop them up in a hung parliament.

Tory vote is declining as well just not as quickly as labours, but they have no obvious partner to make Dave PM

Musing upon this further I am tempted to place my first non ukip related GE bet

These Tory leads disguise the truth, that a labour SNP coalition is very likely to be the most workable result.. 10/1 seems big and that is my tip... Now to find a way of getting on... Anyone care to help??
  • Options
    peter_from_putneypeter_from_putney Posts: 6,875
    edited January 2015

Indeed. At these levels, anywhere is a potential loss. Sure they could get lucky, rebound a little and concentrate support where it is most needed and get 25-35 depending on how much of a GE boost they get (if any), but the complacency is a little ridiculous given they are still leaking support. At this point, the leakage surely has to be in part people who still want to vote LD but don't think they can win anywhere as I would have thought the Red Liberals had jumped ship to Labour and the Greens long ago.

IIRC, MM was of the opinion that the LibDems tally of MPs could fall to as few as 12 in number, equivalent in Martin Day speak to 2.5 London Cabs' full. Just think, in such circumstances, we need never ever worry ourselves again about the likes of Tim Farron and his tiny gang.

• Options

Pulpstar said:

But it's OGH's favourite GE market doncha know?
    Ye I've also heard what happens when you get it wrong from OGH himself too.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

Hannibal?

Hannibal?

Lecter?
    That's the fellow!
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

chestnut said:

isam said:

Incumbency advantage.

These Tory leads disguise the truth, that a labour SNP coalition is very likely to be the most workable result.. 10/1 seems big and that is my tip... Now to find a way of getting on... Anyone care to help??
    Check your private messages
  • Options
    I reckon Farron is going to have a bigger majority than Carmichael after the GE - both will hold ofc but ye Farron to have the safest Lib Dem seat in UK I reckon.
  • Options
    stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,780
    Well I have just had my first significant 2015 UK GE bet - on a Tory Overall Majority.

Tonight's hat-trick of poll leads for the Tories feels like a tipping point and a TOM (Tory Overall Majority) is starting to look like a real possibility.

So many factors seem to be on their side.

1. Good economic news which looks unlikely to worsen before the GE. Especially compared to Europe.
    2. Ed is Crap. Progressive and steady fall in Labour poll support.
    3. Polls now moving in Tories" favour. Momentum.
    4. Swingback. Tory actual poll figures are static. More likely Tory support will increase than decrease as we approach the GE.
    5. Ed is Crap.

NOM is still the likeliest outcome but TOM looks value at current prices to me. I'm on with Betfair at 6.30 average odds.
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

chestnut said:

isam said:

Incumbency advantage.

Precisely a bet I first suggested to the PB.com readership at 25/1 from Ladbrokes several months ago and subsequently at 20/1 and yet again more recently at more modest odds ..... do try to pay attention!
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    stjohn said:

Well I have just had my first significant 2015 UK GE bet - on a Tory Overall Majority.

Tonight's hat-trick of poll leads for the Tories feels like a tipping point and a TOM (Tory Overall Majority) is starting to look like a real possibility.

So many factors seem to be on their side.

1. Good economic news which looks unlikely to worsen before the GE. Especially compared to Europe.
    2. Ed is Crap. Progressive and steady fall in Labour poll support.
    3. Polls now moving in Tories" favour. Momentum.
    4. Swingback. Tory actual poll figures are static. More likely Tory support will increase than decrease as we approach the GE.
    5. Ed is Crap.

NOM is still the likeliest outcome but TOM looks value at current prices to me. I'm on with Betfair at 6.30 average odds.

I have a four-figure sum on the same...
This discussion has been closed.