Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Tories take the lead with Survation for the first time in t

SystemSystem Posts: 11,688
edited January 2015 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Tories take the lead with Survation for the first time in this Parliament

UKIP will be delighted to be in the 20s, albeit with a pollster that has generally been the most favourable to UKIP. The Tories will be delighted to be in the lead for the first time with Survation this parliament, but in the context of things, they are polling at the same level as their 1997 nadir.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    No Marf cartoon, now the Bashir story has turned genuinely funny?

I'm surprised.
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,882
    edited January 2015
    Looks way too high for UKIP compared with other polls. It's not because of prompting as other pollsters do that now.
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    If UKIP are in the 20s, more than triple the next party, they surely should be included in all three debates.
  • Options
    Baxter gives:

Lab 311
    Con 284
    UKIP 10
    Nat 10

Amusingly the 10 UKIP seats are all in Scotland!
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245
    Positive thread for the blues, has TSE, got Mike, bound and gagged somewhere?
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,988
    edited January 2015
    Good evening, everyone.

Not sure I believe UKIP 23%. Interesting and useful to see the SNP included.

Mr. Socrates, SKIP rather than UKIP?

Edited extra bit: Diplomacy V has kicked off. I am, once again, England.
  • Options
    Socrates said:

If UKIP are in the 20s, more than triple the next party, they surely should be included in all three debates.

Whatever. NB Survation is always ukip-friendly. Ukip may get good publicity out of being excluded. And it's not like CCHQ aren't doing a good job keeping them in the public eye.
  • Options
    Embargo buster..... these kippers really are new at media aren't they...

Patrick O'Flynn‏@oflynnmep·8 mins8 minutes ago
    Mirror/Survation tonight has Ukip on 23% and ComRes has us on 17%. Both up on their own previous polls. Exciting times.
  • Options

Embargo buster.....

Well done republishing it here then, OGH will be thrilled.

• Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    edited January 2015
    Socrates said:

Baxter gives:

Lab 311
    Con 284
    UKIP 10
    Nat 10

:D Baxter really broke
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    Lab 30, libdem 7 green 3.

Where is the left vote going on it's holidays now?
  • Options
    Ishmael_X said:

Embargo buster.....

take it up with the ex express 'journalist'
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    Ishmael_X said:

Embargo buster.....

We're past peak UKIP, then.
  • Options
    Rotherham Politics ‏@rothpolitics 2h2 hours ago
    Bradford’s Electorate Falls By 20,000 After Electoral Fraud Clamp Down http://wp.me/p1ko7Z-4XE #Electoralfraud
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    MikeK said:

Bradford’s Electorate Falls By 20,000 After Electoral Fraud Clamp Down http://wp.me/p1ko7Z-4XE #Electoralfraud

That is a big number.
  • Options
    Well someone in future won't be getting embargoed polling.

You can insult a pollster's mother, and they will still send you their embargoed polling.

Break the embargoed polling, and you are permanently in their books of badness.
  • Options
    MikeK said:

Ed Miliband will probably claim 20,000 people have been disenfranchised!

I'd like to see how much these numbers drop when non-British citizens get banned from voting. Farage has already raised this point over a potential EU referendum, but let's hope he takes that argument for all elections.
  • Options

Well someone in future won't be getting embargoed polling.

You can insult a pollster's mother, and they will still send you their embargoed polling.

Break the embargoed polling, and you are permanently in their books of badness.

how could he understand.... he's an ex journalist.
  • Options
    Where is Sunnil when you need him?
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    That is a big number.

By clampdown, does that mean the move to individual voter registration....???
  • Options
    FalseFlagFalseFlag Posts: 1,801
    I wonder how much of Labour's efficient vote is just plain old criminal fraud.

Good work done by the coalition so far, but more needs doing.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    Tories plus UKIP at 53%...

Goodness!
  • Options
    MikeK said:

It sounds a bit like South Armagh.

• Options
    woody662woody662 Posts: 255
    Desperate times for Labour, where's the 35% coming from?
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Ishmael_X said:

Embargo buster.....

Why?

• Options
    Sean_F said:

Ishmael_X said:

Embargo buster.....

Twin Peaks?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,311
    The argument that Labour "have their noses in front" (per Nick P) is getting harder and harder to sustain. Even Steven I would say.
  • Options
    Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411
    If we are ahead on ComRes as well, does that mean we have won the Election?! :)
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    MikeK said:

Time to bet against sitting Bradford MP's?
  • Options
  • Options
    Socrates said:

Only relevant comparing to the fourth party if that fourth party is in it.

Relevant comparison is the two in the two party debate are the formal Prime Minister and Leader of the Opposition which lead parties with a few hundred MPs each. When UKIP reach that level it should be in all three debates.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Ave_it said:

Sean_F said:

Ishmael_X said:

Embargo buster.....

With non Survation pollsters - yes. 23%. Lol.
  • Options
    Ave_it said:

Av it, how are you mucker? You're not often around, so we can spar, as of old.
  • Options
    MikeK said:

Ave_it said:

Hello Mike I am fine thanks - hope you are well!

Yes not often here now but coming back for GE2015!
  • Options
    philiph said:

MikeK said:

That is a big number.
    The next boundary review could be interesting - massive drop in England electorate, massive increase in Scotland electorate = lots more Scottish MPs?
  • Options
    Ave_it said:

MikeK said:

Ave_it said:

Good. I for on will be glad to see you back to regular posting, even if it's only for a limited time.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Socrates said:

Baxter gives:

Lab 311
    Con 284
    UKIP 10
    Nat 10

I believe UKIP are 100/1 in every Scottish seat so lots of money to be made!
  • Options
    Seconded, Mr. K. Glad we shall benefit from Ave It's undoubted expertise on political matters in the run up to the election (first man to call Boris as London mayor, I believe).
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Latest ARSE 2015 General Election & "JackW Dozen" Projection Countdown :

12 hours
  • Options
    JackW said:

12 hours

ARSE is my favourite pollster!
  • Options
    Remember, we had some good news from Syria today. Kobane is for the moment, in good hands and safe.

Some welcome good news from the Middle East: Kurdish militias take control of Kobani from ISIS pic.twitter.com/GjLtCzDQsn

— ian bremmer (@ianbremmer) January 26, 2015
  • Options
    @LouiseMensch: Pathetic of some dodgy UKIP donor to claim @DanHannanMEP discussed defecting to UKIP; was instrumental in @AmjadBashirMEP defecting to Cons
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,930
    Alistair said:

Socrates said:

Baxter gives:

Lab 311
    Con 284
    UKIP 10
    Nat 10

UKIP Gain Orkney !
  • Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391
    edited January 2015
    TGOHF said:

@LouiseMensch: Pathetic of some dodgy UKIP donor to claim @DanHannanMEP discussed defecting to UKIP; was instrumental in @AmjadBashirMEP defecting to Cons

I'm sure Dan would rather she didn't boast about that on his behalf. Not quite the coup of the century from the perspective of 2 days...
  • Options
    MikeK said:

Ave_it said:

MikeK said:

Ave_it said:

Good. I for on will be glad to see you back to regular posting, even if it's only for a limited time.
    Seconded... we can ask about his ISAs too.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,289
    Do we have new electorate numbers for each Bradford seat?

Numbers below will be highly misleading - some people will have moved / died and new people will have arrived.

I would be very, very surprised if the actual electorate has fallen by 20,000.

So rather than misleading spin, let's have actual numbers.

Electorate 2010 = ?
    Electorate 2015 = ?

for each seat please.
  • Options
    maaarsh said:

TGOHF said:

I'm sure Dan would rather she didn't boast about that on his behalf. Not quite the coup of the century from the perspective of 2 days...
    I don't understand the allegation. Was Dan creating a vacancy for himself by moving Bashir, or had he repented and was trying to be helpful?
    #letsalllaughatdave

• Options
    Who was it keeping tally of Tory leads in polls disputing any move since last year.

Stick the first one this whole Parliament (!) from Survation in to your abacus - let's see how many more we can squeeze in this month.

I reckon another couple with a fair wind.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Ave_it said:

JackW said:

12 hours

ARSE is my favourite pollster!
    I believe the ARSE projects rather than polls.
  • Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108
    MikeK said:

Poor Mr Galloway.
  • Options

Who was it keeping tally of Tory leads in polls disputing any move since last year.

Stick the first one this whole Parliament (!) from Survation in to your abacus - let's see how many more we can squeeze in this month.

I reckon another couple with a fair wind.

Someone called Wisemann I think? He tends to go quiet when things not going lab way

I am thinking we will see Ukip in second place in a reputable poll (including Survation) between now and GE.

• Options
    TimTim Posts: 44
    Today's YouGov London poll for the Standard had very interesting voting intention by age group.
    It shows Lab 8 points ahead of the Conservatives overall, but the Conservatives ahead of Lab by a high sixteen points among 18-24 year olds (42% vs 26%).
    Partly this may be explained by UKIP having a very bad brand among this age group and so more of the right is sticking with the Tories. But I wonder if it is also related to the Tories being toxic for fewer of the younger generation (no memories of the 90s or Thatcher) and possibly the shift to the right on economic/ welfare issues we have heard about.
    The other striking thing in the poll among this age groups was the Greens only just behind Labour (the Blair/ Brown years recent enough to make Labour toxic for much of the left?)
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    MikeK said:

Cant open the link.

Any breakdown by party or errrm any other characteristic :-)
  • Options
    Another absolute shocker for the Greens. I doubt whether Natalie Bennett's TV interview yesterday with Andrew Neill, espousing her party's far left views would have converted many to the cause.
  • Options
    Douglas Carswell in the Times

Ukip could work with Dave if the price is right
  • Options

Another absolute shocker for the Greens. I doubt whether Natalie Bennett's TV interview yesterday with Andrew Neill, espousing her party's far left views would have converted many to the cause.

I believe she's now nicknamed Mad Nat.

Madder than Mad Jack McMad.
  • Options
    Tim said:

Today's YouGov London poll for the Standard had very interesting voting intention by age group.
    It shows Lab 8 points ahead of the Conservatives overall, but the Conservatives ahead of Lab by a high sixteen points among 18-24 year olds (42% vs 26%).
    Partly this may be explained by UKIP having a very bad brand among this age group and so more of the right is sticking with the Tories. But I wonder if it is also related to the Tories being toxic for fewer of the younger generation (no memories of the 90s or Thatcher) and possibly the shift to the right on economic/ welfare issues we have heard about.
    The other striking thing in the poll among this age groups was the Greens only just behind Labour (the Blair/ Brown years recent enough to make Labour toxic for much of the left?)

Hasn't that moniker been retired on PB after a glorious innings?
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,014

No change = absolute shocker? The fieldwork was Sunday so I doubt Bennet's interview had much of an effect. The more recent Ashcroft and Populus polls have the Greens on 9 and 6.

• Options
    "The other striking thing in the poll among this age groups was the Greens only just behind Labour (the Blair/ Brown years recent enough to make Labour toxic for much of the left?)"

All the more striking considering that tonight's national poll from Survation has the Greens on a miserable 3%.
  • Options
    Tim said:

That tory lead among the young is staggering, thanks for pointing that out.

Welcome, and can I respectfully point out that calling yourself "Tim" here is rather like that bit in Rebecca when she dresses up like the first wife at the fancy dress party? Entirely your decision, but it might cause less confusion if you changed it to Bruce or similar.

• Options

Two appeals to potentially work with the Tories in 2 days... the kippers are wobbling.

Just think back to Dougie's frenzied 1-eyed tweeting late last year on the sofa boys. I did think he'd settled down a little on the personal stuff in recent days, perhaps this is why!

Perhaps the 102 seats aren't private polling as well?
  • Options
    JonnyJimmyJonnyJimmy Posts: 2,548
    Imagine you're a pr agency tasked with making Weird Ed the PM. Seriously, where would you even start?
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited January 2015
    This poll is close to proof that any type of publicity for UKIP tends to be a positive for them, something that often seems to surprise the Westminster Village.
  • Options

Two appeals to potentially work with the Tories in 2 days... the kippers are wobbling.

Just think back to Dougie's frenzied 1-eyed tweeting late last year on the sofa boys. I did think he'd settled down a little on the personal stuff in recent days, perhaps this is why!

Douglas will be rejoining the Tories in the first week of March.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,798

Imagine you're a pr agency tasked with making Weird Ed the PM. Seriously, where would you even start?

Play up the other members of his team, such as they are, and just hammer home the evil Tories lines - probably wouldn't be enough in normal times, but with UKIP and the LDs, it could be enough depending on the SNP/Green effect.
  • Options

:):):)
  • Options
    Socrates said:

MikeK said:

Ed Miliband will probably claim 20,000 people have been disenfranchised!

I'd like to see how much these numbers drop when non-British citizens get banned from voting. Farage has already raised this point over a potential EU referendum, but let's hope he takes that argument for all elections.
    Actually Miliband might welcome it if it makes a Labour gain from Galloway / Respect more likely.
  • Options

Before Kippers get all frenetic, I merely said the first week of March, as that's when Mike's going on holiday, and I'll be editing PB.

AND YOU ALL KNOW WHAT HAPPENS WHEN MIKE GOES ON HOLIDAY....
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    Ishmael_X said:

Tim said:

That tory lead among the young is staggering, thanks for pointing that out.

Welcome, and can I respectfully point out that calling yourself "Tim" here is rather like that bit in Rebecca when she dresses up like the first wife at the fancy dress party? Entirely your decision, but it might cause less confusion if you changed it to Bruce or similar.

Don't take sub samples too seriously !
  • Options

It's really a personal plea to be asked round to Dave's for a little one-on-one kitchen supper.

No reason why CCHQ should know anything about Carswell's slightly chequered political past, obv.
  • Options

I'd use a hairdryer to start with. Dropping it in his bath is probably Labour's only chance.
  • Options
    Mr. Saddened, I'd probably prefer Miliband to Balls or Umunna, to be honest.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,933
    edited January 2015
    TGOHF said:

That makes it sound like he is on UKIP's side not the Conservatives
  • Options

Portray him as a sex symbol.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,798

Maybe, he did get a little ridiculous, making the Tories sound so bereft of ideas and integrity that he undermined himself by making it seem impossible he stuck with them for so long, although maybe it is simply a more subtle tactic - UKIP have been tearing into the Tories for a couple of years but only with the defections did even some senior Tories and commentators start to actually treat them as a threat, not just misguided Tories who would probably return home even if insulted, and that had been preventing the Tories from properly defending themselves against UKIP. Start to appeal to the Tories a little, and possibly the 'wish they were UKIP' crowd in the Tories start to pressure not to go after UKIP so hard, or it just undercuts the leadership's plans.

Or maybe it is just a standard presentation of a willingness to do some kind of deal, meaning nothing significant, or means nothing at all. I'm thinking he'll be dialing back on the new party fervour is all.
  • Options
    JonnyJimmyJonnyJimmy Posts: 2,548
    kle4 said:

Play up the other members of his team, such as they are, and just hammer home the evil Tories lines - probably wouldn't be enough in normal times, but with UKIP and the LDs, it could be enough depending on the SNP/Green effect.
    Not one mention of Weird Ed in the plan? And play up Balls? Or are they going to have to leave their top two out of the election campaign?

I'll ask what I really meant now; how do you sell Ed Miliband, the man, as Prime Minister?
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Pulpstar said:

Alistair said:

Socrates said:

Baxter gives:

Lab 311
    Con 284
    UKIP 10
    Nat 10

UKIP Gain Orkney !
    Of course, it seems so obvious now! My Scotland book is all wrong.
  • Options
    peter_from_putneypeter_from_putney Posts: 6,875
    edited January 2015

No change = absolute shocker? The fieldwork was Sunday so I doubt Bennet's interview had much of an effect. The more recent Ashcroft and Populus polls have the Greens on 9 and 6.

I notice that you choose to ignore my inclusion of the word Another by which I was referring to Survation's previous measurement of the Greens' very low level of support.
    The fact that Survation's fieldwork was undertaken yesterday, i.e. on the same day as Bennett's TV interview, is precisely when it would have had the greatest impact on public opinion .... duh!
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

Alistair said:

Socrates said:

Baxter gives:

Lab 311
    Con 284
    UKIP 10
    Nat 10

UKIP Gain Orkney !
    Of course, it seems so obvious now! My Scotland book is all wrong.
    UKIP gain Dundee East at 150/1

You heard it here first.
  • Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    Can someone please remind us how much Survation typically understates the Tory vote share and overstates the Labour vote share?
  • Options

kle4 said:

I'll ask what I really meant now; how do you sell Ed Miliband, the man, as Prime Minister?
    Not convinced it's actually possible. I'm never going to back him so obviously biased, but his appearance on tv is disconcerting to say the least, he has terrible mannerisms, an appalling voice which makes him very difficult to listen to for any time and the content of his speeches is pure wonkanese.
  • Options
    Farage hasn't ruled out working with Cameron either has he?
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,014

I notice that you choose to ignore my inclusion of the word Another by which I was referring to Survation's previous measurement of the Greens' very low level of support.
    The fact that Survation's fieldwork was undertaken yesterday, i.e. on the same day as Bennett's TV interview, is precisely when it would have had the greatest impact on public opinion .... duh!
    Most people don't watch political TV, and some of the fieldwork would have been done before it. I would expect maximum impact probably the day after when people would have been able to find out about it from other sources. And Survation seems to be polling the Greens low, just as it polls UKIP high. But then you probably know all that.

• Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341

Can someone please remind us how much Survation typically understates the Tory vote share and overstates the Labour vote share?

2.5% at the Euros.
  • Options
    How many times have UKIP equalled or bettered 18% since it was claimed as an outlier?

6 or 7?
  • Options

Nailed on.

Him, Steve Webb and Alastair Darling.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    Are there any thunderstorms expected in the Vale of York?

• Options
    Mr. Isam, in the past I have a vague recollection of Farage saying something along the lines of it being 'very hard' to see a deal being done [suspect it's down to personal chemistry more than anything else, in the same way Cameron and Clegg find it easy to get along].
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    What's interesting IMO is that until relatively recently it was the consensus of the Westminster Bubble that UKIP would probably be reduced to around 5% by the time of the election. It looks like their judgment was very wrong on this. Even if UKIP do decline from now onwards it's difficult to see them going below 10%.
    isam said:

How many times have UKIP equalled or bettered 18% since it was claimed as an outlier?

6 or 7?

• Options
    Mr. JS, aye. I think they will decline in percentage terms but they'll still do well.

It'll be interesting to see how the Greens do. It may be best for them if there are no debates. They get the publicity and sympathy vote without having their leader defenestrated for the public's entertainment.
  • Options
    isam said:

6 or 7?

None by ICM....

More importantly....

@SkyNews: DAILY TELEGRAPH FRONT PAGE: "PM: I'll cut benefits cap to £23,000" #skypapers http://t.co/ouv3wVigmU
  • Options
    isam said:

He has in the past. But it is as flexible as any UKIP policy.
  • Options
    Mr. Flashman (deceased), repeat of a previously announced policy.

However, important for the Conservatives to bang on about it, and even more important to bang on about Miliband voting against the £26k cap.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,215
    In response to Foxnsox (FPT): "The brutality of the Hitchcock film was numbing. In many ways I found the quiet matter of fact interviews in Shoah parts 1 and 2 even more disturbing."

I agree on the Shoah film. I watched it years ago. Compelling and disturbing.

One image which remained with me was the way Lanzmann interspersed the film with shots of trains endlessly running over tracks. It brought home how something as banal and everyday as a train was the means by which so many people were brought to their deaths.

One other film which is worth seeing is "Le Chagrin et la Pitie" by Ophuls. It's a documentary about France during WW2 and caused quite a stir because the story it told was quite other than the largely invented myth of a France resisting Nazi oppression. It also revealed France's active role in the slaughter of its own Jewish population.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    isam said:

TGOHF said:

That makes it sound like he is on UKIP's side not the Conservatives
    Has Hannan actually denied it ? If not, it is correct.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,289
    TGOHF said:

isam said:

6 or 7?

None by ICM....

More importantly....

@SkyNews: DAILY TELEGRAPH FRONT PAGE: "PM: I'll cut benefits cap to £23,000" #skypapers http://t.co/ouv3wVigmU
    He announced that months ago.

But no harm in saying it again and getting a front page headline!

Will be very popular!
  • Options
    saddened said:

I'd use a hairdryer to start with. Dropping it in his bath is probably Labour's only chance.
    Sick, but so very funny
  • Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    isam said:

Indeed yesterday morning in his Andrew Marr interview he indicated a Tory coalition would be possible but whether after a bruising GE campaign the Tories will be in any mood to do a coalition with UKIP's sole MP Douglas Carswell will be a different matter.
  • Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391
    edited January 2015
    TGOHF said:

isam said:

6 or 7?

None by ICM....

More importantly....

Is that the same ICM which predicted UKIP 3rd in the Euros?
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Portray him as a sex symbol.
    More Edward Penis hands than Edward Dickhead you mean???

This discussion has been closed.