Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » New Survation Scottish poll finds No would have a 6% lead i

Comments

• Options

BenM said:

Financier said:

DC's warning about a potential global economic problem is very true, but will be ignored by many short-term thinking politicians in the UK and Western Europe. These politicians tend to put political reform/control far ahead of the economic well-being of their electorate.

The Americas, Asia and Africa and Australasia can now manage very well without bothering about Western Europe - it is about time our politicians work up to reality and that wage increases are no longer the norm - do they want us to eat dirt before they come to their selfish and self-serving senses?

The biggest risks to the UK economy are domestic.
    Some recent economic calamity was said to have "started in America". I forget the details of who said what and when.
    I think it was the same chap who assured us he had abolished boom and bust.
    Words are important Mr Eagles - he claimed to have abolished "Tory" boom and bust, and since he uttered those stirring words there hasn't yet been a Tory bust! I'm sure the closely cropped fellow currently residing in the Treasury is very grateful for his efforts - it was a close run thing for a year or two.
    Hmmm

http://www.channel4.com/news/articles/politics/domestic_politics/factcheck+no+more+boom+and+bust/2564157.html
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118

Mr. Isam, Libya today is a bad place. Lack of action would've led to genocide and it still being a bad place, albeit perhaps a more stable one.

The options weren't Lovely Libya and Horrid Libya, but a variety in the shade of shit, with a small chance of things turning out for the better with Gaddafi gone. It's easy to be wise with hindsight.

Also, if we'd backed the FSA earlier then they may've toppled Assad whilst ISIS was either very small or before it even existed. Not all rebels are ISIS.

Here is Peter hitchens on the subject over three years ago, I don't think you can accuse him of speaking in hindsight

http://youtu.be/puMqlj0QRjA
  • Options
    Mr. Toms, reminds me a bit of the line about knowing you're a zealot when it turns out God hates exactly the same people you do.
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    Financier said:

Ishmael_X said:

Financier said:

DC's warning about a potential global economic problem is very true, but will be ignored by many short-term thinking politicians in the UK and Western Europe. These politicians tend to put political reform/control far ahead of the economic well-being of their electorate.

The Americas, Asia and Africa and Australasia can now manage very well without bothering about Western Europe - it is about time our politicians work up to reality and that wage increases are no longer the norm - do they want us to eat dirt before they come to their selfish and self-serving senses?

When someone called "Financier" calls for wages to be kept low (and public services decimated IIRC) I start to wonder which Trotskyist group to join.

In the meantime, have a good day everyone and I'll see you to-morrow (DV).

When he can't detect any hint of short-term political thinking in DC's utterances I worry about his career choice as a financier.

Just look at world economics and resources and then do the same for Western Europe.
    Yes. My point was that you seem to think DC was expressing a long term and apolitical vision, when his eye is on 3 December.

• Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,938

@PopulusPolls: Latest Populus VI: Lab 36 (+1), Con 35 (+2), LD 7 (-2), UKIP 11 (-2), Oth 10 (+1). Tables here: http://t.co/ikPN9aHSf0

LAB 329 CON 280 LD 15
    EICIPM
  • Options
    Father of british muslim who has been beheading Syrian soldiers says his son should be executed

Won't Dave just stop him coming back here for two years?
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,194
    TGOHF said:

Carnyx said:

TGOHF said:
    Yes, but further amplified by Gordon Brown in close coordination and agreement with the three party leaders. Confusing perhaps but it was their fault.

Ties up nicely with the other topic - Brown is a deluded idiot. Only Scotland has yet to work that out.
    Only some of us. But the indyref margin was more than narrow enough for that to make the difference!

• Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    TGOHF said:

Mr. Me, that's not the case. Brown banged on about boom and bust. Not Tory, or Conservative, boom and bust.

Mr. Eagles, UKIP on 11 looks low.

Purples line has flattened a bit - only Survation and Com res is keeping it up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_next_United_Kingdom_general_election

Anyone got the up to date graph ? Google docs link..
    You could equally argue that it is only because the vast number of polls are YouGov that the UKIP vote is so low.
  • Options
    Mr. Isam, he suggested we'd have ground troops and casualties, neither of which occurred, and cited the false WMD claims of Blair, whereas the genocide 'claim' was not made by any external authority but Gaddafi's regime.

In retrospect, he was wrong, on a factual basis, on almost everything.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    weejonnie said:

TGOHF said:

Mr. Me, that's not the case. Brown banged on about boom and bust. Not Tory, or Conservative, boom and bust.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_next_United_Kingdom_general_election

You could equally argue that it is only because the vast number of polls are YouGov that the UKIP vote is so low.
    I'll predict now that Populus's 11% will be closer to Ukip's GE score than Survations 24%.

• Options
    Mr. Owls, 26 seats for UKIP, SNP, Plaid and Northern Ireland seems a bit out of kilter.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    TGOHF said:

weejonnie said:

TGOHF said:

I'll predict now that Populus's 11% will be closer to Ukip's GE score than Survations 24%.

£50 evens says you're wrong; 17.5% is evens. Populus always has UKIP low and is invariably wrong.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,054
    UKIP a smidgen below 300 on the Populus. Not 11% but certainly down a smidgen.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193

@PopulusPolls: Latest Populus VI: Lab 36 (+1), Con 35 (+2), LD 7 (-2), UKIP 11 (-2), Oth 10 (+1). Tables here: http://t.co/ikPN9aHSf0

It's a two-horse race. The Tories have a thoroughbred. Labour has Mr Ed....
  • Options

Mr. Isam, he suggested we'd have ground troops and casualties, neither of which occurred, and cited the false WMD claims of Blair, whereas the genocide 'claim' was not made by any external authority but Gaddafi's regime.

Not really. The point he was making was that Cameron was keen on sending ground troops and that we should be wary of any propaganda used to back his resolution
  • Options
    FalseFlagFalseFlag Posts: 1,801

Libya is a disaster zone, as is Syria, Afghanistan and Iraq, you are wrong but I actually think that the outcome we have is what you wanted in the first place.
  • Options
    MikeK said:

TGOHF said:

weejonnie said:

TGOHF said:

£50 evens says you're wrong; 17.5% is evens. Populus always has UKIP low and is invariably wrong.
    Mike - Should TGOHF decline this bet with you, please can I take you on instead on the same terms?
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    Ishmael_X said:

Financier said:

Ishmael_X said:

Financier said:

When someone called "Financier" calls for wages to be kept low (and public services decimated IIRC) I start to wonder which Trotskyist group to join.

In the meantime, have a good day everyone and I'll see you to-morrow (DV).

When he can't detect any hint of short-term political thinking in DC's utterances I worry about his career choice as a financier.

Just look at world economics and resources and then do the same for Western Europe.
    Yes. My point was that you seem to think DC was expressing a long term and apolitical vision, when his eye is on 3 December.

Yes and my original point was not that. We just have too many politicians who have their eye just on GE2015 and not the greater picture.
  • Options
    Order,Order reporting a major security alert at Parliament.
  • Options
    MikeK said:

TGOHF said:

weejonnie said:

TGOHF said:

If Ukips GE share below 17.500 I win, above 17.500 you win, if exactly 17.500 then void ?

If so happy to register that bet.

• Options

MikeK said:

TGOHF said:

weejonnie said:

TGOHF said:

Mike - Should TGOHF decline this bet with you, please can I take you on instead on the same terms?
    Yes, but this is not an open bet for all comers. Should TGOHF decline then the bet is yours.
  • Options
    MikeK said:

MikeK said:

TGOHF said:

weejonnie said:

TGOHF said:

Yes, but this is not an open bet for all comers. Should TGOHF decline then the bet is yours.
    Haha good for you Mike

Offering value bets against the market on ukip doing well has proved successful for me on here, hope it is for you too
  • Options

That's ironic.
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    antifrank said:

isam said:

"Curdling the Blood
    Fresh from lecturing Vladimir Putin on international morality, David Cameron(the Victor of Libya, let it never be forgotten, as well as The Man Who Wanted to Back the Rebels in Syria Who Later Turned into ISIS, but luckily failed) is now warning that there is a coming world economic crisis which may wreck Britain's supposed recovery (see my blog of yesterday about being governed by people whose intellects are inferior to those of Garden Gnomes).

Actually,he knows perfectly well that this 'recovery' is founded upon sand, in the form of a cheap housing credit bubble and massaged statistics, and will be exposed very soon when the huge imbalance between spending and our ability to pay for it has to be addressed.

Presumably, this article is an early attempt to shift the blame. It s no longer possibe to say that it is Labour's falt, Labour having let office almost five years ago. So the rest of the world must take the blame.

By the way, what is Britain's direct interest in Ukraine, and with what armed forces do we presume to warn Russia? Once upon a time, we protected our own interests and had the resources to make our words count. Now we intervene in quarrels that are nothing to do with us, and lack the weapons or troops with which to back up our growls."

http://hitchensblog.mailonsunday.co.uk/2014/11/curdling-the-blood.html

I take it that Peter Hitchens didn't want to use the line "a faraway country of which we know little" because Neville Chamberlain's words are still in copyright until next year.
    Quite. If there's one thing we've learnt from the last century it's that collective deterrence is the only way to secure a stable international order. Russia has invaded Ukraine on absolutely no legitimate grounds, other than the expansion of its own borders. Since then it has been making threatening noises to places like Moldova and the Baltic states. It is frankly deeply unpleasant that we just hand over smaller nations to the tiger on the misguided notion that it won't affect us.

Also, Hitchens is too stubborn in his own black and white view of the world to be able to understand that the "rebels" did not all become ISIS. Many of the groups were directly fighting ISIS: there are videos of British ISIS fighters beheading FSA fighters. Getting killed by ISIS and then having your weapons and territory taken by them isn't the same as turning into them.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

MikeK said:

TGOHF said:

weejonnie said:

TGOHF said:

If Ukips GE share below 17.500 I win, above 17.500 you win, if exactly 17.500 then void ?

Exactly. You're on, we have a bet. Sorry Peter. :)
  • Options
    MikeK said:

TGOHF said:

MikeK said:

TGOHF said:

weejonnie said:

TGOHF said:

Excellent - will pay for my LD vs Kipper bet with Isam ;)

• Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,161
    edited November 2014
    AndyJS said:

I'd be interested to hear Edmund's thoughts on Japan entering recession according to the new data.

I'm afraid I don't know much about it. None of the analysts seem to either, as their forecasts were all wildly over-optimistic. There was a little boomlet caused by people bring spending forward before VAT went up to 8% (I know you're all wondering how we survive such rapacious levels of taxation) followed by a slump as it reversed itself after the rise. But then the economy was supposed to get better, which it apparently didn't.

The Abenomics strategy is supposed to be that you print money and create inflationary expectations, so people spend more before the value of their money falls and the economy grows. But I suspect if you do that with an aging population and a government that looks like it won't be able to pay their pensions all that happens is that everybody sees the price of everything going up and their savings getting devalued, worries even more about the future and spends even less.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,324
    @isam,

Well... Peter Hitchens may be right in his conclusion, but Morris Dancer is right to point out that his facts were simply wrong.
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    OT

Trust you all will be behaving yourselves, pre, at and after Dirty Dicks on Friday.

"A single 10-second kiss can transfer as many as 80 million bacteria, according to Dutch scientists."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-30055646
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

MikeK said:

TGOHF said:

MikeK said:

TGOHF said:

weejonnie said:

TGOHF said:

Or it will pay for a new set of underwear that I will need by spring. ;)
  • Options
    John Mann MP (@JohnMannMP)
    17/11/2014 08:05
    At least one former MP being investigated for child abuse is employing Political insiders for PR 'advice'
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

@isam,

Well... Peter Hitchens may be right in his conclusion, but Morris Dancer is right to point out that his facts were simply wrong.

Which facts?

He said it seemed like we were being encouraged to believe we should commit ground troops, which cameron was in favour of, and that we should be wary of propaganda used to sway us.

He then painted a picture of what might happen if we did commit ground troops to illustrate why we shouldn't
  • Options

It's a two-horse race. The Tories have a thoroughbred. Labour has Mr Ed....
    The two-party share will not be above 70% at GE2015.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

MikeK said:

TGOHF said:

MikeK said:

TGOHF said:

weejonnie said:

TGOHF said:

When I saw the headline of Mike Smithsons tweet I was a bit worried about that bet!

Mike Smithson (@MSmithsonPB)
    17/11/2014 10:28
    UKIP drop to 11% in today's Populus online poll
    : Lab 36 (+1), Con 35 (+2), LD 7 (-2), UKIP 11 (-2),
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    rcs1000 said:

@isam,

Really?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-2030849/Libya-Were-cheering-rebels-AK-47s-worse-Gaddafi.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-1367993/Libyas-War-Why-just-let-fight-make-friends-winners.html

He has been right on the money regarding US interference in the Ukraine too.
  • Options
    isam said:

TGOHF said:

MikeK said:

TGOHF said:

MikeK said:

TGOHF said:

weejonnie said:

TGOHF said:

When I saw the headline of Mike Smithsons tweet I was a bit worried about that bet!

Need Cleggasms 2,3 and 5 to turn this one around :D
  • Options
    isam said:

rcs1000 said:

@isam,

Which facts?

He said it seemed like we were being encouraged to believe we should commit ground troops, which cameron was in favour of, and that we should be wary of propaganda used to sway us.

He then painted a picture of what might happen if we did commit ground troops to illustrate why we shouldn't
    Thankfully public opinion stopped a full blown invasion.
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    edited November 2014
    Presumably, this article is an early attempt to shift the blame. It s no longer possibe to say that it is Labour's falt, Labour having let office almost five years ago. So the rest of the world must take the blame.

http://hitchensblog.mailonsunday.co.uk/2014/11/curdling-the-blood.html

I take it that Peter Hitchens didn't want to use the line "a faraway country of which we know little" because Neville Chamberlain's words are still in copyright until next year.

Interesting that the loopy fruit Hichens states the Tories cannot blame Labour for what they perceive to be going wrong after 4.5 years and yet............ Completely ignores that in 2008 and up to the present day Labour still blame the Tories for the Labour led and constructed catastrophe and even blame Thatcher for sowing the seeds of That fiscal demise.

Nothing to do with us guv we had only been in power 11 YEARS .....

Oh please? The guys on a different planet.

• Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    I wonder if that Populus might keep a few tory defectors on board.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913
    Dave needs to be careful with this new line on the economy.

Feels rather hypocritical given previous Tory rhetoric 2008-now. Prompted a spontaneous outburst from MRS J at the radio this morning.
  • Options

Order - order comment of the day is quite amusing.......
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    FalseFlag said:

rcs1000 said:

@isam,

Really?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-2030849/Libya-Were-cheering-rebels-AK-47s-worse-Gaddafi.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-1367993/Libyas-War-Why-just-let-fight-make-friends-winners.html

In the second link he discusses the Midsomer Murders controversy, where the producer defended the lack of non white characters

If people got uptight about Midsomer Murders, why aren't they up in arms about EastEnders? Midsomer is far more accurate in its portrayal of the demographic... There aren't that many non white people in the kind of areas it is set, and so the show is quite realistic.

Eastenders cast however, should be mainly Muslim, over 50% non white ,with a large percentage of Eastern Europeans. many of the cahracters should be unable to or prefer not to speak English... The portrayal is more of West Essex than the East End of London

this is surely racist? I think the reason the bbc cast the show thus is because if it were accurate, non Londoners simply wouldn't believe it
  • Options
    BenMBenM Posts: 1,795
    Kelly Tolhurst did herself no favours on Radio Kent this morning. Where to the Tories get these peoiple from?

That UKIP winning margin may have widened a little.
  • Options
    BenM said:

Kelly Tolhurst did herself no favours on Radio Kent this morning. Where to the Tories get these peoiple from?

What did Kelly Tolhurst say then?
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    isam said:

TGOHF said:

MikeK said:

TGOHF said:

MikeK said:

TGOHF said:

weejonnie said:

TGOHF said:

There is the ever present paradox of UKIP in today's Populus, if the Lib Dems were found to have 291 respondents they would be on ~ 20% (Or higher)

Actually looking at the tables, the weighted base of 2010 Lib Dem respondents is higher than that of Labour ! Lib Dems upweighted too... truly dire internals for them.
  • Options

BenM said:

What did Kelly Tolhurst say then?
    Nothing of any substance whatsoever and got slammed over the state of Medway schools.

A candidate drowning I'm afraid.
  • Options
    Mr. Moses, Hitchens can sometimes make interesting comments, but he's utterly bonkers.
  • Options
    That hustings also makes me think the Labour share on Thursday may be a touch higher than some expect.

Khan is a very good candidate. To me Reckless effortlessly outclassed all the other candidates, but Khan came in a good second.

Tolhurst - is as vapid as the Tories themselves. Oh dear.
  • Options

Mr. Moses, Hitchens can sometimes make interesting comments, but he's utterly bonkers.

Indeed and he used to be a fairly down the middle commentator years ago. I have no issue about him going one way or the other but at least be sensible when you do it (though tricky of course the further to the left you move I suppose? )

He is the Tories Dan hodges but interesting they both write in right of centre media. Good for a laugh if nowt else.
  • Options
    If Farage has said it he should be criticised also, but for the PM to refer to 'Jihadi John' is disgraceful in my opinion

If he had beheaded a relative of yours would you use that phrase to refer to him?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/cameron-wants-jihadi-john-alive-to-face-justice-as-reports-emerge-isis-militant-is-injured-9863555.html
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

Indeed and he used to be a fairly down the middle commentator years ago. I have no issue about him going one way or the other but at least be sensible when you do it (though tricky of course the further to the left you move I suppose? )

He is the Tories Dan hodges but interesting they both write in right of centre media. Good for a laugh if nowt else.
    He has moved to the left? Interesting view as he used to be a trot
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Isam - fancy the job with the Kippers that might soon be available ? The donors must be fewmin..

http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-London/2014/11/17/Moves-To-Remove-OFlynn-After-Anti-Business-Newsnight-Interview

"Senior members of UKIP are campaigning behind the scenes to have Patrick O'Flynn MEP removed as economic spokesman after his appearance on the BBC's Newsnight programme last Monday night."

"His opponents are now circulating a letter calling for him to go, which they hope to publish this week. One source who is not involved with the letter told Breitbart London: “He really does need to shut up with all talk of aggressive tax avoidance and bashing big business... It's a real mistake to have a pinko in such an important position."
  • Options
    isam said:

Moses_ said:

Well in younger days. Ok moved back to the left. I used to read him a few years ago and he had mellowed then somewhat but he must be "running back to momma" now. As Mr Morris Dancer points out he does occasionally make some interesting points. Hence I don't have an issue with it. It takes all sorts even those who struggle to defend the indefensible.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,085

I'm statistically wary of multiple-choice options as people tend to pick the middle one, so the weight of opinion to "never" is quite striking. I think the SNP would be making a mistake if they promised a new referendum in the next Holyrood period. More likely, they'll wait till people are fed up for one reason or another,

On Murphy, I'm not sure that most Scots are different from most English voters, who generally don't think in neat left-right lines. Murphy is clearly a substantial figure who most people will have heard of, and it'd be an odd decision if Scottish Labour went for anyone else.

Sturgeon is fairly young, I doubt she'll be in any hurry. Murphy is a Blairite though, as new labour as you can get. They should have learnt their lesson from Wales and London. New Labour was not a political movement but an election winning machine focussed on a handful of possible Tory switchers in 'marginal' constituencies. You can't impose New Labour on these places. Not least when they don't even have FPTP!
  • Options
    isam said:

Moses_ said:

Peter Hitchins is a Tory, are you thinking of the late Christopher Hitchens?
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983

You can't impose New Labour on these places.

Noone is seeking to impose New Labour on the Scottish Labour Party. They are having an election with a very clear alternative available.

• Options
    NormNorm Posts: 1,251
    BenM said:

That hustings also makes me think the Labour share on Thursday may be a touch higher than some expect.

Khan is a very good candidate. To me Reckless effortlessly outclassed all the other candidates, but Khan came in a good second.

Tolhurst - is as vapid as the Tories themselves. Oh dear.

So says a man without any irons in the fire lol. Shame then that Ukip will take considerably more Labour votes than Tory ones at R & S. My son was also at Rochester on Saturday and while you were on your counter demonstration in the High Street elsewhere he was noting the almost complete absence of Labour posters, stickers and party workers. He saw one vehicle doing the rounds and that was it! I suspect the polls will be about right as far as the Lab vote is concerned. The interesting figure will be the Ukip/Tory differential.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,085
    Neil said:

Noone is seeking to impose New Labour on the Scottish Labour Party. They are having an election with a very clear alternative available.

Did you see what happened in London and Wales? Of course Murphy will need to win properly in his case, but it seems clear as day that New Labour doesn't have a cat in hell's chance of succeeding in Scotland.
  • Options
    Just back after an enjoyable weekend break.

Does anyone have this weeks ELBOW please
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983

Neil said:

Did you see what happened in London and Wales?
    I can see what's happening in Scotland.
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    isam said:

If Farage has said it he should be criticised also, but for the PM to refer to 'Jihadi John' is disgraceful in my opinion

If he had beheaded a relative of yours would you use that phrase to refer to him?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/cameron-wants-jihadi-john-alive-to-face-justice-as-reports-emerge-isis-militant-is-injured-9863555.html

Face justice in the UK... assuming anyone could find enough evidence that would stand up in a British court... claims of temporary insanity, claims of mitigation because he came from a broken home, was beat by his parents, his dog just died, he got out of the wrong side of bed or whatever, then remission for good behaviour, and out in 7 years ?

• Options

isam said:

Moses_ said:

Nope, Peter. He was a Trotskyist in the 60s and 70s until he saw the light. Hence he is well placed to call out the centrists who increasingly try to inflict commie ideas upon us
  • Options

isam said:

Moses_ said:

isam said:

Moses_ said:

Christopher Hitchens, while sometimes very mistaken, was twice the intellect of his brother.
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @TGOHF

'"Senior members of UKIP are campaigning behind the scenes to have Patrick O'Flynn MEP removed as economic spokesman after his appearance on the BBC's Newsnight programme last Monday night."

What a car crash,to get savaged by Evan Davis is a real achievement.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Isam - fancy the job with the Kippers that might soon be available ? The donors must be fewmin..

http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-London/2014/11/17/Moves-To-Remove-OFlynn-After-Anti-Business-Newsnight-Interview

"Senior members of UKIP are campaigning behind the scenes to have Patrick O'Flynn MEP removed as economic spokesman after his appearance on the BBC's Newsnight programme last Monday night."

"His opponents are now circulating a letter calling for him to go, which they hope to publish this week. One source who is not involved with the letter told Breitbart London: “He really does need to shut up with all talk of aggressive tax avoidance and bashing big business... It's a real mistake to have a pinko in such an important position."

Wouldn't be for me. But one day I hope to be involved sonehow
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Socrates said:

Christopher Hitchens, while sometimes very mistaken, was twice the intellect of his brother.

Indeed, watch Christopher Hitchens and Stephen Fry on the debate "Is the Catholic Church a force for good in the world", regardless of where you stand on the substance of the debate, it was a tour de force in oration and debating skill, there was so little left of Ann Widdecombe and Archbishop John Onaiyekan you would need dental records. Available on Youtube.
  • Options
    isam said:

FalseFlag said:

rcs1000 said:

@isam,

Really?

In the second link he discusses the Midsomer Murders controversy, where the producer defended the lack of non white characters

If people got uptight about Midsomer Murders, why aren't they up in arms about EastEnders? Midsomer is far more accurate in its portrayal of the demographic... There aren't that many non white people in the kind of areas it is set, and so the show is quite realistic.

Eastenders cast however, should be mainly Muslim, over 50% non white ,with a large percentage of Eastern Europeans. many of the cahracters should be unable to or prefer not to speak English... The portrayal is more of West Essex than the East End of London

this is surely racist? I think the reason the bbc cast the show thus is because if it were accurate, non Londoners simply wouldn't believe it
    Given that the East End is pretty well correlated with Tower Hamlets, this should be the big demographic groups of the Eastenders cast:

Bangladeshi: 32%
    White British: 31%
    White Other: 12%
    Black African: 4%
    Chinese: 3%
  • Options
    Anyone thinking backing Scotland tomorrow, you can get around 11/4.

Seems decent odds, considering how well the Scots are playing under Strachan, it is at home, and playing against England is Scotland's World Cup Final, so they will really be up for it and on a high from beating the Southern Bog trotters.

I just hope the England fans over there sing the proper version of God Save the Queen, the one with the bit crushing rebellious Scots, and ending their sedition.

• Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,352
    Syria/Iraq seems to be turning into a playground free-for-all.

I feel sorry for Obama. He's concentrating on ISIL, so Assad has supposedly left them alone and is now tonking the moderate opposition. But if the Yanks start on Assad, he may start trying to shoot down the US aircraft, so ISIL get a reprieve and ....

As the Irish say ... "If I was you, sir, I wouldn't have started from here."

Too late now. Thanks, Tony.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Stuart on/ pah you poor wee numpties taken in by the biased nationalist polling. Our people on the ground tell us we are really in the lead / Stuart off
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,976
    edited November 2014
    "Kelly Tolhurst did herself no favours on Radio Kent this morning. Where to the Tories get these peoiple from?"

Ben as so often makes a very astute point "Where do the Tories get these people from?". She reminded me of one of the early losers in The Apprentice but to answer his question they got her from an open primary.

What does this tell us about the constituents of Rochester who voted in the primary? Either they were fifth columnists from another party or more significantly that this is the sort of termagant that appeals to their voters.

• Options
    Indigo said:

isam said:

Face justice in the UK... assuming anyone could find enough evidence that would stand up in a British court... claims of temporary insanity, claims of mitigation because he came from a broken home, was beat by his parents, his dog just died, he got out of the wrong side of bed or whatever, then remission for good behaviour, and out in 7 years ?

And if course, no Muslim spokesman are required to criticise him, as Ukip suggested, because that would be so destructive for society... In any case, Dave has said that 'Jihadi John' as he so ridiculously calls him, isn't a Muslim anyway...
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    Roger said:

"Kelly Tolhurst did herself no favours on Radio Kent this morning. Where to the Tories get these peoiple from?"

Ben as so often makes a very astute point "Where do the Tories get these people from?". She reminded me of one of the early losers in The Apprentice but to answer his question they got her from an open primary.

What does this tell us about the constituents of Rochester who voted in the primary? Either they were fifth collumnists from another party or more significantly that this is the sort of termagant that appeals to their voters.

As the open primary consisted of just 2 candidates , the other of whom being even worse , it explains the rather poor turnout by the constituents in that contest .
  • Options
    Roger said:

What does this tell us about the constituents of Rochester who voted in the primary? Either they were fifth collumnists from another party or more significantly that this is the sort of termagant that appeals to their voters.

I thought the general feeling was that both the two candidates they were given to choose between by CCHQ were pretty duff, and that KT might have been the better of the two. I think the blame probably lands squarely at central office, maybe next time they will let the electorate choose the candidate they want, which I believe is the whole point of an open primary after all!

• Options
    Socrates said:

isam said:

FalseFlag said:

rcs1000 said:

@isam,

Really?

Given that the East End is pretty well correlated with Tower Hamlets, this should be the big demographic groups of the Eastenders cast:

One Asian family in it last time I watched, and no Eastern Europeans

If they renamed it 'Essex Suburbs' it would be realistic
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

@isam,

It's worth bearing in mind that the current troubles in Libya have seen 2,000-3,000 deaths. How many deaths do we think we'd have seen if Gadaffi's ~30,000 army had been given free reign in Benghazi, a city of almost 700,000, which he had promised to "crush" with "no mercy or compassion"? It's absurd to judge the prevention of a massacre as a failure, because the a long-time failed state doesn't instantly become a stable, peaceful nation.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

If someone was ever again going to call someone a "pinko", it was surely going to have to be in UKIP. Just wouldn't have expected it to be one of their own they were talking about.

Ferrets in a sack....
  • Options
    Socrates said:

isam said:

FalseFlag said:

rcs1000 said:

@isam,

Really?

I always thought it was a cross of Wathamstow and Stratford?
  • Options
    CD13 said:

I feel sorry for Obama. He's concentrating on ISIL, so Assad has supposedly left them alone and is now tonking the moderate opposition. But if the Yanks start on Assad, he may start trying to shoot down the US aircraft, so ISIL get a reprieve and ....

I don't feel sorry for Obama. As he said at the G20 you can't go around invading other countries and funding proxies.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    isam said:

Socrates said:

isam said:

FalseFlag said:

rcs1000 said:

@isam,

Really?

It doesn't seem to reflect the make-up of those areas very well, more like HaveringEnders now ?
  • Options
    Socrates said:

isam said:

FalseFlag said:

rcs1000 said:

@isam,

Really?

What are the other 18%?? Innuits?
  • Options

TGOHF said:

If someone was ever again going to call someone a "pinko", it was surely going to have to be in UKIP. Just wouldn't have expected it to be one of their own they were talking about.

Ferrets in a sack....
    Pinko is such a poor insult.

Traitorous Pigdog on the other hand
  • Options

Socrates said:

isam said:

FalseFlag said:

rcs1000 said:

@isam,

Really?

I just closed the page! It was scattered between lots of 2 per cents: White Irish, Black Caribbean, Mixed Black-White, Indians, Pakistanis, Mixed White-Asian, etc.
  • Options
    NormNorm Posts: 1,251
    Roger said:

What does this tell us about the constituents of Rochester who voted in the primary? Either they were fifth columnists from another party or more significantly that this is the sort of termagant that appeals to their voters.

A termagant for those like me who didn't know is a harsh-tempered or overbearing woman.

As my MP for many years was Ann Widdecombe who in her younger days before she became the cuddly figure on Strictly would have fitted that bill quite well I don't see it necessarily as an electoral disadvantage. Indeed the majority here fell drastically in 2010 after her departure.
  • Options
    Actually does Eastenders have a single Bangladeshi in it ?
  • Options

Socrates said:

isam said:

FalseFlag said:

rcs1000 said:

@isam,

Really?

It's supposedly east London. Innits and Izzits.
  • Options
    isam said:

Socrates said:

isam said:

FalseFlag said:

rcs1000 said:

@isam,

Really?

You could include bits of Newham (which would thus be a lot more ethnic minority), but I'd have thought Waltham Forest would be too far north.
  • Options

I've just had £2 on the Conservatives for R&S @ 28 and £2 on Labour @ £520.

Even if you expect UKIP to win these odds are worth a few quid.

Or are the PB Tories 'all fart and no follow through' ?

I've taken a little on the Tories. The current odds are barmy - the Tories should be around 5/1, given how much of UKIP's support comes from people who may not actually get round to voting. Also, I heard some moderately encouraging feedback from an experienced canvasser last night.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

In the end the SNP needs a Westminster green light for an independence referendum that will be internationally recognised. They can pretend otherwise, just as they pretend so many things, but the practical reality is that without the UK government's sign-off there is no possibility of a currency union, EU membership, NATO membership, UN membership, inward investment, on-going trade with the rUK and so on. At some stage this reality will kick in.

Key words being "at some stage"..........
  • Options
    If we look at what's covered by the Eastenders map just before the title comes up, isam is more right than I am: the centre-point is more inside Newham than Tower Hamlets, but pretty close to the border.

The major groups in the demographics of Newham are:

17% White British
    11% Other White (mainly Eastern European)
    14% Indian
    12% Bangladeshi
    10% Pakistani
    12% Black African
    5% Black Caribbean

It does seem like Eastenders is massively pro-white in its casting, completely out of touch with the groups that live there.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

Socrates said:

isam said:

FalseFlag said:

rcs1000 said:

@isam,

Really?

It's supposedly east London. Innits and Izzits.
    *bravo!*

• Options

TGOHF said:

Ferrets in a sack....

As if by magic, I appear when those words appear.... unbelievably I've put some more against the Rochester schweinhund.
  • Options
    @isam Why don't you write a complaint to the BBC about this? Its casting clearly is completely misinforming the British public about the extent of immigration into inner city areas. That seems to go directly against the BBC's mandate.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,589

Anyone thinking backing Scotland tomorrow, you can get around 11/4.

Seems decent odds, considering how well the Scots are playing under Strachan, it is at home, and playing against England is Scotland's World Cup Final, so they will really be up for it and on a high from beating the Southern Bog trotters.

I just hope the England fans over there sing the proper version of God Save the Queen, the one with the bit crushing rebellious Scots, and ending their sedition.

I agree they are good odds. We have had many teams with better players on the bench than this team has available to it but their willingness to work and play for each other is a real credit to the coach. They end up being far more than the sum of their parts.

Of course it would be better if the first half England turned up for the 90 minutes!
  • Options

TGOHF said:

Ferrets in a sack....

As if by magic, I appear when those words appear.... unbelievably I've put some more against the Rochester schweinhund.
    for those who care, should our local girl triumph, my winnings would be over £6k now....

a good night at the dogs with that on friday??????????? ok perhaps not.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

Ferrets in a sack....

So have I.

Did you see my suggestion to your question for the collective noun for a group of traitorous pigdogs?

A Sol of traitorous pigdogs.
  • Options
    Run your winners, cut your losers.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

Ferrets in a sack....

Knock Knock Knock can we have a word sir

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1190119/Man-charged-racial-harassment-alleged-pig-dog-insult-German-neighbour.html
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,707
    edited November 2014
    CD13 said:

Someone still believes in the 'moderate' opposition? How quaint, I thought that went out with steam railways and feeling bumps.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    One thing is for sure - Populus either know something the other pollsters are missing or they are massively inflating the big 2 at the expense of the rest.

Regarding the critcisms on here of Kelly Tollhurst by BenM & Roger -their views can be discounted as both are Labour supporters but to then denigrate the primary voters for choosing her does show a more serious contempt for the electors. Certainly in Roger's rather strange world Tory voters barely deserve the right to vote. Politics really shouldn't be that nasty.
This discussion has been closed.