Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The big and only real question is how the changes in the na

SystemSystem Posts: 11,707
edited November 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The big and only real question is how the changes in the national mood are playing out in the marginals

There’s no doubt that this has been a dramatic polling week with apparently a move from LAB that is changing the long established view that the red team was heading for victory.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    First!
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    FPT
    Tim_B said:

Remember it took a year to get enough Democrats to vote for the bill to get it through the House.

This is hilarious when the Republican complaint at the time was that they were "rushing it through" without enough discussion.

The basic facts to remember are:

1) More people have health coverage than before
    2) A large majority getting healthcare through the exchanges and the Medicaid expansion are very happy with their coverage
    3) The bill has reduced the deficit, and keeps on getting better projections with every passing year

It's funny that there was another big healthcare bill in recent years which had a botched roll-out, created a whole new entitlement, and really hurt the federal budget: Medicare Part D. Yet Republicans barely ever complain about that, and "fiscal conservatives" like Paul Ryan and Mitch McConnell all voted for it. The objection to Obamacare isn't the nature of the bill, it's the man that proposed it. Everything else is a smokescreen.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Pretty hilarious reaction from his followers to Ted Cruz's neanderthal tweet on Net Neutrality:

https://m.facebook.com/tedcruzpage/posts/10152839355922464
  • Options
    audreyanneaudreyanne Posts: 1,376
    I can see where you are coming from Mike but you have a slight tendency to reductionism: whether it's the 2010LibDems or, now, the marginals as the 'only' real question. There is some truth in what you write but we do need to be careful here. Marginals never entirely buck the national mood, and it is often the last refuge of the failing party to claim they are doing better there than nationally. I remember Kinnock's Labour coming out with that line during the last week of 1992. The reality was that where the nation went, the marginals followed.
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    If a hung parliament is still favourite during the general election campaign, I think we might see the smaller parties over-performing their polling, and Lab/Con under-performing, as people will be thinking about possible junior coalition partners rather than the big two.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    The problem now is that the earlier marginal polls - however accurate they may be which has never been tested in any meaningful way - were taken at a time when Labour were much further ahead than now. To quote the great Lord himself they were snapshots not forecasts. Would his earlier polls if re-done today produce the same results? We know that national polls, while not perfect, have a reasonable record because they are repeated regularly and therefore are more able to tap into current opinion. A 6 month old marginal poll is unlikely to be as accurate.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Labour today is not riven with ideological fratricide; yet if anything it is in a worse position than it was 30 years ago. It is not that its policies repel the country; it has no policies at all, merely slogans. In his latest relaunch speech yesterday, Ed Miliband was, as usual, good at identifying the country’s problems but woeful at prescribing a cure. For him and his coterie of advisers, rhetoric is all and a favourable headline their only goal.

“I am for big ideas – not the old ideas,” he said. What does that mean? He is in favour of “big reform, not big spending”. He is against a “zero/zero economy”. This is waffle, not a prospectus for government. His supporters say the real cause of Mr Miliband’s unpopularity – even greater than Mr Foot’s – is that he is traduced in the media. But once a political party starts blaming the messenger, then it really has lost the plot.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/labour/11229326/Labours-Year-Zero-tactics-will-fool-no-one.html
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Labour today is not riven with ideological fratricide; yet if anything it is in a worse position than it was 30 years ago. It is not that its policies repel the country; it has no policies at all, merely slogans. In his latest relaunch speech yesterday, Ed Miliband was, as usual, good at identifying the country’s problems but woeful at prescribing a cure. For him and his coterie of advisers, rhetoric is all and a favourable headline their only goal.

“I am for big ideas – not the old ideas,” he said. What does that mean? He is in favour of “big reform, not big spending”. He is against a “zero/zero economy”. This is waffle, not a prospectus for government. His supporters say the real cause of Mr Miliband’s unpopularity – even greater than Mr Foot’s – is that he is traduced in the media. But once a political party starts blaming the messenger, then it really has lost the plot.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/labour/11229326/Labours-Year-Zero-tactics-will-fool-no-one.html

He is for "big ideas", yet his platform is full of minor policies (like scrapping the bedroom tax), or aims without mechanics behind them (like a jobs guarantee or 100% renewables) that clearly won't happen. The one big policy with an actual mechanism - capping retail price rises - now won't have too much of an effect due to the huge fall in wholesale prices. Thank God.
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    edited November 2014
    Socrates said:
    He is for "big ideas", yet his platform is full of minor policies (like scrapping the bedroom tax), or aims without mechanics behind them (like a jobs guarantee or 100% renewables) that clearly won't happen. The one big policy with an actual mechanism - capping retail price rises - now won't have too much of an effect due to the huge fall in wholesale prices. Thank God.

Well quite. That's because he has a few ideas, but not vision. He doesnt know what he actually wants to do with the country, and doesnt have the faintest idea how he will get there., the next paragraph of that article is even more damning
    Mr Miliband said his principal task was to change the country. But change it from what, and to what exactly? After all, his party was in government for 13 years until 2010. What we are today is as much Labour’s responsibility as anyone else’s. Were there not bankers before 2010 earning big bonuses? Were there not people avoiding taxes? What did the Labour government, of which Mr Miliband was a leading figure, do about that?

He lamented our unequal society; and yet inequality grew under the Labour government and the “privileged few” thrived. Indeed, the rich were taxed at a lower rate than they are now. The greatest scandals in the NHS happened on their watch. Immigration became an issue under Labour. This attempt by Mr Miliband to turn 2010 into Year Zero and disavow all responsibility for what went before simply does not wash.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Whilst it isn't a precise science, it is possible to match the dates of Ashcroft polls for marginals to regional samples from the same time. Apply the regional swing back since then to the marginal in question.

Places like Halesowen and Nuneaton are "regained" using this model. Walsall N is a possible Labour loss to UKIP.

• Options
    @EdConwaySky: Germany just avoids recession. Economy grows by 0.1pc in q3. Previous quarter also revised up from -0.2% to -0.1%
  • Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    Morning all and frankly Michael Ashcroft should now also be polling Labour seats with a majority under 5% or 10% as well as Scottish and Welsh seats.

In most seats people don't give a flying fart about who the MP is. It tends to be traditional rural seats like mine where everyone tends to know/identify the MP where that applies. In large cities and towns most people haven't a clue who their MP is. In Scotland and Wales it is even more complicated because people have different MPs from different parties in different constituencies depending on whether it is Westminster or Holyrood/Cardiff.

Am I correct in thinking that once again the Tories achieved a good defence of council seats last night and picked up one from the LibDems? Real votes etc is what OGH used to say.

If the marginals are so different from the national picture then frankly the Tories need to be 6/7/8% ahead is total crap. The Tories need to be at least 1 vote ahead of the 2nd party in 326 seats. If they prove to be, David Cameron remains PM. If they are 10,000 votes behind in each of the other 324 seats, who cares!
  • Options
    edited November 2014

Morning all and frankly Michael Ashcroft should now also be polling Labour seats with a majority under 5% or 10% as well as Scottish and Welsh seats.

In most seats people don't give a flying fart about who the MP is. It tends to be traditional rural seats like mine where everyone tends to know/identify the MP where that applies. In large cities and towns most people haven't a clue who their MP is. In Scotland and Wales it is even more complicated because people have different MPs from different parties in different constituencies depending on whether it is Westminster or Holyrood/Cardiff.

Am I correct in thinking that once again the Tories achieved a good defence of council seats last night and picked up one from the LibDems? Real votes etc is what OGH used to say.

If the marginals are so different from the national picture then frankly the Tories need to be 6/7/8% ahead is total crap. The Tories need to be at least 1 vote ahead of the 2nd party in 326 seats. If they prove to be, David Cameron remains PM. If they are 10,000 votes behind in each of the other 324 seats, who cares!

Looking at local elections, the Conservatives 2013: 26%, and 2014: 30% results most closely match their performance before the 1997 election.

(1995: 25%, 1996: 29%)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited November 2014
    This Fraser Nelson article in the Telegraph nicely sums up Ed's weakness - he can point to problems but offers no solutions:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/ed-miliband/11229342/Ed-Miliband-sounds-good-but-lacks-substance-and-show.html
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,078
    I’ve just had an email from the Labour Party; no idea how or why I got on a supporters list; must be because I’m a retired member of a Union, although I’ve no record of havin g paid fees for several years.
    Anyway, the email sets out Labour Policies, under three headings; as
    ____________________________________________________________________________________________
    First, I will undo the damage the Tories have done to our country:

I will scrap the Bedroom Tax, which unfairly punishes the disabled and the vulnerable
    I will scrap the Health and Social Care Act, which damages and undermines our NHS
    I will scrap the gagging law, which limits our freedom of speech and right to campaign
    I will reverse the Tories' £3bn tax cut for millionaires, so we get the deficit down but do it fairly

Second, I will take on the powerful vested interests that hold millions back:
    I will force energy companies to freeze gas and electricity bills until 2017
    I will give power back to those who rent their homes, by scrapping letting fees and stabilising tenancy agreements
    I will raise money from tobacco companies, tax avoiders, and a mansion tax to fund doctors, nurses, careworkers and midwives for our NHS
    I will reform our banks so that they properly support small businesses
    I will stop recruitment agencies hiring only from abroad

Third, I will start to rebuild a fairer, better Britain:
    I will raise the minimum wage, to ensure that everyone that does a hard day's work is properly rewarded
    I will promote the living wage by giving tax breaks to companies that pay it
    I will ban the damaging zero-hours contracts that exploit British workers
    I will bring in a lower 10p income tax rate, cutting taxes for 24 million workers
    I will support working parents with 25 hours of free childcare for three- and four-year-olds
    I will help more young people get on the housing ladder by getting 200,000 homes built every year
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________
    Now I like some of the first batch, although IMHO the last thing the NHS needs is yet another shake up.. What does “scrapping the H&SC Act" mean? Going back to what we had before? Modify maybe but as I say, more structural disruption is a plan for disaster.

In the second batch, the energy freeze is surely fraught with problems, and as I’ve often said, why a “mansion tax” Why not add a couple of bands to those which already exist for Council Tax. And how do you direct taxes to specific activities.

In the third batch, I thought UNFAIR ZHC’s were already being legislated against, and wasn’t there a major problem with a 10p tax rate before?
    I’m all for the homes-building programme, but shouldn’t that be for rent.Or at least include some sensible return to Council housing?

• Options
    @JohnRentoul: The Genesis drummer is VG in The Times today £ http://t.co/9ETz9DVVf5 http://t.co/Bz6ZNGOXnu
  • Options

Any comments...?
  • Options

In the third batch, I thought UNFAIR ZHC’s were already being legislated against, and wasn’t there a major problem with a 10p tax rate before?
    I’m all for the homes-building programme, but shouldn’t that be for rent.Or at least include some sensible return to Council housing?

Over half the ZHC are in the public and charity sectors anyway, so he needs to be a bit careful there. There are a number of problems with the 10% tax, not least of which is its damn expensive since it applied to all earners, Gordon introduced it, and then subsequently scrapped it, ironically while Ed was Minister for the Third Sector. I have to be sceptical about the homes building program, how many homes did labour build during their 13 years in office.

The big glaring problem with those lists is that the spending items are massively expensive, and the income generators even taken at face value won't make much, and how many government money grabbing wheezes ever make the amount of money they are supposed to ?
  • Options
    So Nick Clegg has more to say about Ched Evans than he does about hundreds of child rapists walking local streets with the authorities doing nothing about them.

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited November 2014
    OKC - thanks for sharing.

Jesus! Where to start?

Maybe with this - every single one of these policies is more spending or more tax. Just what a struggling economy needs! (not). And then individually:

Raising the top-end tax rates - politically probably ok, economically nuts.
    Price controls in energy? - Insane. Will kill investment. And, er...., the oil price is collapsing so a freeze would lock in higher prices. Fuckwittery of the first order.
    No letting fees? Really? ! So no more lets via agents then. Yeah - destroying the letting market will be GREAT! What a dickhead.
    Mansion Tax? Nuff said. (on the plus side will alienate his Islington Guardian Labour luvvie constituency).
    Ban zero hour contracts? Really? Some people love these.
    200,000 homes means serious reform of Planning. Does he realise that?

This is a big bag of ammuniition for Dave to show Ed has no idea whatever how the real world works.
  • Options
    PeterCPeterC Posts: 1,274
    Patrick said:

This Fraser Nelson article in the Telegraph nicely sums up Ed's weakness - he can point to problems but offers no solutions:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/ed-miliband/11229342/Ed-Miliband-sounds-good-but-lacks-substance-and-show.html

It's a good article. The politics of grievance are never going to form a credible program for government. OGH may have thought that "the long established view" was "that the red team was heading for victory", I never did. I agree with JackW.
  • Options
    MillsyMillsy Posts: 900
    Patrick said:

Sounds like the academic verdict on Marx - he was good at analysis but his solutions were, let's say, somewhat wide of the mark
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    "In the second batch, the energy freeze is surely fraught with problems, and as I’ve often said, why a “mansion tax” Why not add a couple of bands to those which already exist for Council Tax. And how do you direct taxes to specific activities."

Because adding bands to council tax means the money will go to local authorities and the two Eds won't be able to spend it centrally.
  • Options
    MillsyMillsy Posts: 900
    Lord Ashcroft's marginal polls are indeed excellent. The trouble is I suspect the line where Labour stop winning the seats is moving all the time.

In other news, I thought Ukip were on the verge of stealing all of the Tories' donors?

In the third quarter of 2014 they were 6th in the donation rankings, only just ahead of the Greens:

* Conservative Party - £6,757,289
    * Labour Party - £3,188,931
    * Liberal Democrats - £2,752,873
    * Scottish National Party (SNP) - £1,572,825
    * Co-operative Party - £415,114
    * UK Independence Party (UKIP) - £98,387
    * Green Party - £88,250

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-30034887
  • Options
    @tnewtondunn: A genius headline from @TheSunNewspaper backbench today on Ed Mili's pledge to win Brits round to his geekiness. http://t.co/W4mw2B0KMk
  • Options
    The BBC helpfully create an election leaflet for UKIP:

' Thirteen people have been arrested over a trafficking ring which saw a pregnant woman almost tricked into an abortion following a sham marriage.

The 20-year-old from Slovakia was sold for up to £15,000 by a gang in Greater Manchester who organised a marriage to a man facing deportation, police said.

The woman told an interpreter at hospital she had been "sold against her will" and was "appalled" by the prospect of an abortion.

Ten men and three women were arrested.

The group, aged between 24 and 57, were arrested at addresses in Rochdale, Failsworth and Cheetham Hill on Wednesday and are still in custody.

Police said the woman, who was 25 weeks pregnant, was flown to Luton in May, believing she was going to visit her sister.

She was met by a man who claimed to be her sister's friend and was taken to an address in Failsworth, Oldham before being sold to another man.

In July, she was married under Sharia law in Rochdale.

The woman was later taken to hospital for an appointment by a woman who acted as an interpreter and told staff she wanted an abortion.

However, she was spoken to by an independent interpreter and police said it became clear "she was being sold into a marriage against her will".

Det Insp James Faulkner said: "She was completely unaware of this group's nefarious motives and by the time she realised what was going on, it was too late.

"She was met by a male unknown to her and trafficked to an address in London and then further on to the north west where the initial pretence of her coming to visit family was quickly dismissed and she was sold to an unknown male."

He said she was sold to a male and "lived with him for the purpose of securing his immigration status in this country".

Det Insp Faulkner said there was a trend for trafficking pregnant women as they are deemed more attractive for obtaining immigration status.

Police said they believed there were currently 400 cases of sham marriages in Manchester.

"Home Office statistics place a cost of £40,000 on the UK economy for each sham marriage," Mr Faulkner said.

Those arrested were held on suspicion of offences including trafficking people for exploitation and conspiracy to facilitate breach of immigration law. '

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-30033201

Isn't it wonderful how 'enriched' British society has become.
  • Options
    Socrates said:

"In the second batch, the energy freeze is surely fraught with problems, and as I’ve often said, why a “mansion tax” Why not add a couple of bands to those which already exist for Council Tax. And how do you direct taxes to specific activities."

Because adding bands to council tax means the money will go to local authorities and the two Eds won't be able to spend it centrally.

AFAIK the LA’s get a grant from the Exchequer. Extra bands raise £1m (say) so grant reduced by £1m

Simples.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,370
    It would make sense to rerun the Ashcroft polls in some of the tighter seats and see how everyone is getting on, perhaps with named candidates this time. I remain optimistic where I am, but have no real idea of elsewhere.

FPT Oxfordsimon previous thread - I agree with your approach (don't add random extra punishments to people after release) and think that JohnLoony's idea that footballers are a role model is ludicrous as well as irrelevant. The question of "punishment for denying guilt" has wider application too. In considering whether to release long-serving prisoners for serious crimes like murder, one test is whether they've owned up and show remorse. There are apparently a number of cases of people who are not being released because, after 15 years or so, they are still protesting their innocence. It doesn't seem to me that we should be holding that against them - if they actually are innocent, then we're expecting them to lie to get out. The test should be more subtle - that they show genuine horror about the crime, whether admit to it or not.
  • Options
    OKC:

Re the proposition of subsidising "The Living Wage": Is this not what the 'left' are saying happens already, with Working-Familiy-Credits? Or is the simpleton going to issue more red-tape, administration and burden on top of the existing, current, failed fiasco...?
  • Options
    Patrick said:

Jesus! Where to start?

Maybe with this - every single one of these policies is more spending or more tax. Just what a struggling economy needs! (not). And then individually:

Price controls in energy? - Insane. Will kill investment. And, er...., the oil price is collapsing so a freeze would lock in higher prices. Fuckwittery of the first order.
    No letting fees? Really? ! So no more lets via agents then. Yeah - destroying the letting market will be GREAT! What a dickhead.
    Mansion Tax? Nuff said. (on the plus side will alienate his Islington Guardian Labour luvvie constituency).

This is a big bag of ammuniition for Dave to show Ed has no idea whatever how the real world works.

The overall problem is that what is economically necessary is politically impossible. We will go on putting off the day of reckoning (probably through coalition governments) until it's too late and, like Greece, we keep disabled children in cages. (Though for all I know that may be politically possible, both there and here.)

The deficit is £5,000 per household per year. Not even the Tories will be honest about this, let alone the "fairness" Parties (the ones whose names start with letters in the first half of the alphabet).

More fundamentally, IT is changing the world faster than an ageing electorate can cope with it. For example, peer-to-peer ISAs have the potential to rip a smug, otiose banking industry to shreds - and every leftie should praise George Osborne to the skies for that.

The franchise extensions in the 19th century sought to match political to economic power. The creation of universal suffrage (in 1918/28) didn't - those extensions were in part a War Memorial, in part a result of political campaigning. Economic decline, now economic free fall, was the inevitable consequence. And no, it wasn't Labour Governments that granted those extensions, either.

Of course Peebietories will bang on about the lack of Labour's Big Idea. It hides the fact that they haven't got one either. Big Ideas make bad politics, if you think that splitting your Party of choice is bad politics. Think on.

Perhaps what's needed is to reconnect the franchise to economic power. An elected Upper House, with its power over Money Bills restored, elected on a different franchise - one that acknowledges that some people contribute more in tax than others. Say: you get a vote if you pay £10,000 in income tax (not many people do) and you can buy more at, say, £25,000 a go if you want to.

• Options
    @DPJHodges: The morning after Ed Miliband's great re-launch. It's transformed him, hasn't it. Hasn't it? Someone. Anyone...
  • Options
    Millsy said:

Lord Ashcroft's marginal polls are indeed excellent. The trouble is I suspect the line where Labour stop winning the seats is moving all the time.

In other news, I thought Ukip were on the verge of stealing all of the Tories' donors?

In the third quarter of 2014 they were 6th in the donation rankings, only just ahead of the Greens:

* Conservative Party - £6,757,289
    * Liberal Democrats - £2,752,873
    * Scottish National Party (SNP) - £1,572,825
    * Co-operative Party - £415,114
    * UK Independence Party (UKIP) - £98,387
    * Green Party - £88,250

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-30034887

They did better in the first two quarters.

http://www.politicshome.com/uk/article/98005/electoral_commission_political_parties’_latest_donations_and_borrowing_figures_published.html

http://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/i-am-a/journalist/electoral-commission-media-centre/news-releases-donations/political-parties-latest-donations-and-borrowing-figures-published16

2013 is their best year so far, they raised £2.4m for the year.

http://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/find-information-by-subject/political-parties-campaigning-and-donations/political-parties-annual-accounts/details-of-accounts
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,997

Looking at local elections, the Conservatives 2013: 26%, and 2014: 30% results most closely match their performance before the 1997 election.

(1995: 25%, 1996: 29%)
    In terms of vote share, yes. In terms of seats, retained, they've done far better, because Labour's performance, outside London and core cities, has been poor.
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    I see the Slogan Boys speech is being seriously unpicked..never mind, he can have another re-launch next week.
    When will the Labour party begin to get serious and give the nation the leader it needs..not one picked by the Unite Union.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

Patrick said:

Jesus! Where to start?

The overall problem is that what is economically necessary is politically impossible. We will go on putting off the day of reckoning (probably through coalition governments) until it's too late and, like Greece, we keep disabled children in cages. (Though for all I know that may be politically possible, both there and here.)

The deficit is £5,000 per household per year. Not even the Tories will be honest about this, let alone the "fairness" Parties (the ones whose names start with letters in the first half of the alphabet).

The franchise extensions in the 19th century sought to match political to economic power. The creation of universal suffrage (in 1918/28) didn't - those extensions were in part a War Memorial, in part a result of political campaigning. Economic decline, now economic free fall, was the inevitable consequence. And no, it wasn't Labour Governments that granted those extensions, either.

Of course Peebietories will bang on about the lack of Labour's Big Idea. It hides the fact that they haven't got one either. Big Ideas make bad politics, if you think that splitting your Party of choice is bad politics. Think on.

Perhaps what's needed is to reconnect the franchise to economic power. An elected Upper House, with its power over Money Bills restored, elected on a different franchise - one that acknowledges that some people contribute more in tax than others. Say: you get a vote if you pay £10,000 in income tax (not many people do) and you can buy more at, say, £25,000 a go if you want to.

Perhaps your upper house could work by a share type system, with membership on sale and block votes. Might need to limit to UK taxpayers and also a ceiling of 1% of total votes owned by any individual.
  • Options
    JonnyJimmyJonnyJimmy Posts: 2,548
    @NickPalmer‌ I'm still keen to know your views on IHT.

Is it a tax that has been deliberately engineered by government to allow people with the know how, or the means to afford someone else with the know how, to completely avoid paying it?

If so, why does it exist at all? That would clearly be unfair on those without the means or the know how.

If not, and the ways of getting around it are accidental loopholes, will you criticise the Milibands for what you surely must regard as action as morally reprehensible as the legal corporate tax avoidance that you're seemingly keen to publicly condemn?

Or do you have to try to find a third way to explain this, saving you the bother of sticking to your principles without criticising Miliband?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,609
    edited November 2014
    For those betting on a high number of SNP seats next year, this could be expensive.

The Scottish National party is planning to target more seats at Westminster by allowing prominent yes campaigners to stand at the general election, the Guardian can reveal.

The party’s annual conference is expected to endorse plans on Friday to allow its newest members to stand for election, after its ranks were swelled by more than 60,000 new activists and supporters after the referendum.

In a potentially far-reaching move, the party could also promote non-SNP candidates as part of a broader “yes alliance” of independence campaigners, allowing them to stand in place of the SNP under that wider banner.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/nov/14/snp-alex-salmond-indepence-campaigners-general-election
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    PeterC said:

Patrick said:

It's a good article. The politics of grievance are never going to form a credible program for government. OGH may have thought that "the long established view" was "that the red team was heading for victory", I never did. I agree with JackW.
    What a sensible fine fellow you are.

• Options
    Good morning, everyone.

F1: just seen that the Abu Dhabi race will be on at the usual time (1pm race start) because it's a night race this year.

Mr. Eagles, that sounds very unusual. Could be clever though, trying to forge a 'movement' rather than just bolster the party itself, with the remains of the Yes campaign.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,405
    Patrick said:

Trying to pick up some NOTA/all gone to hell in a handbasket votes?

Curious if so. Also, I read his speech as being as damning about New Labour as about the Cons.

"These are the symptoms of a deeply unequal, deeply unfair, deeply unjust country."

etc, in the same vein...

...is surely an indictment of the past 20+ years of government?
  • Options
    "General elections as I repeatedly observe are not decided by national party aggregate vote shares but by the outcomes in 650 separate constituency elections fought under first past the post."

True enough as far as it goes. But if you took that idea to its conclusion, you would have to believe that Tony Blair was lucky, twice, in 650 constituency elections. And then Gordon Brown mysteriously got unlucky.
    But in fact UK general elections are largely presidential elections.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Patrick said:

Trying to pick up some NOTA/all gone to hell in a handbasket votes?

Curious if so. Also, I read his speech as being as damning about New Labour as about the Cons.

"These are the symptoms of a deeply unequal, deeply unfair, deeply unjust country."

etc, in the same vein...

...is surely an indictment of the past 20+ years of government?
    Indeed. The core Labour vote (say 25% of all voters) have fundamentally different values to almost everyone else.

• Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,008

' Thirteen people have been arrested over a trafficking ring which saw a pregnant woman almost tricked into an abortion following a sham marriage.

The 20-year-old from Slovakia was sold for up to £15,000 by a gang in Greater Manchester who organised a marriage to a man facing deportation, police said.

The woman told an interpreter at hospital she had been "sold against her will" and was "appalled" by the prospect of an abortion.

The group, aged between 24 and 57, were arrested at addresses in Rochdale, Failsworth and Cheetham Hill on Wednesday and are still in custody.

Police said the woman, who was 25 weeks pregnant, was flown to Luton in May, believing she was going to visit her sister.

She was met by a man who claimed to be her sister's friend and was taken to an address in Failsworth, Oldham before being sold to another man.

The woman was later taken to hospital for an appointment by a woman who acted as an interpreter and told staff she wanted an abortion.

However, she was spoken to by an independent interpreter and police said it became clear "she was being sold into a marriage against her will".

Det Insp James Faulkner said: "She was completely unaware of this group's nefarious motives and by the time she realised what was going on, it was too late.

"She was met by a male unknown to her and trafficked to an address in London and then further on to the north west where the initial pretence of her coming to visit family was quickly dismissed and she was sold to an unknown male."

He said she was sold to a male and "lived with him for the purpose of securing his immigration status in this country".

Det Insp Faulkner said there was a trend for trafficking pregnant women as they are deemed more attractive for obtaining immigration status.

Police said they believed there were currently 400 cases of sham marriages in Manchester.

"Home Office statistics place a cost of £40,000 on the UK economy for each sham marriage," Mr Faulkner said.

Those arrested were held on suspicion of offences including trafficking people for exploitation and conspiracy to facilitate breach of immigration law. '

Lovely to see such a diverse vibrant mix of cultures
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    edited November 2014

For those betting on a high number of SNP seats next year, this could be expensive.

The Scottish National party is planning to target more seats at Westminster by allowing prominent yes campaigners to stand at the general election, the Guardian can reveal.

The party’s annual conference is expected to endorse plans on Friday to allow its newest members to stand for election, after its ranks were swelled by more than 60,000 new activists and supporters after the referendum.

In a potentially far-reaching move, the party could also promote non-SNP candidates as part of a broader “yes alliance” of independence campaigners, allowing them to stand in place of the SNP under that wider banner.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/nov/14/snp-alex-salmond-indepence-campaigners-general-election

It is a risk. Much depends on how this is structured if it happens. Nicola Sturgeon is rumoured to be opposed to the idea of a broader Yes alliance, but two out of three candidates for the Deputy role are openly in favour.

On the specifics of the piece, the Greens have named Edinburgh East as their one Scottish target. They'll be hugely annoyed if the SNP seek to put a different Yes Alliance candidate in that seat:

http://www.scottishgreens.org.uk/email-newsletter/edinburgh-greens-newsletter-7th-november-2014/6342/
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351

Ed accuses Ukip of being a divisive force - he wouldn't like to live in a UK like that. Setting one section of society against another.

Yet, as far as I can see, nearly all his policies are based on an "us and them" theme. "They're all out to get you."

The fat cats aren't paying their tax, the energy companies are robbing you blind, they're making society more unequal, hard-working families are being taken advantage of by the elite. Vote Labour to sort the bastards out.

His main gripe is that he thinks Ukip have stolen his clothes. But they're stigmatising potential Labour voters and not Tory ones.
  • Options
    I see the SNP have ruled out propping up the Tories. From the Times Red Box:

"We wouldn't put the Tories into government," Nicola Sturgeon said on the Today programme, while, as part of an interview with Mure Dickie in the FT, Alex Salmond raises the possibility of a confidence and supply deal with the Labour Party after the next election.
  • Options
    F1: EU want to ban alcohol sponsorship of F1:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/gossip/

Good job the sport's in such sound financial shape.
  • Options
    CD13 said:

Ed accuses Ukip of being a divisive force

The best part of yesterday was Ed challenging UKIP, then bottling out of the first offer
  • Options
    Innocent_AbroadInnocent_Abroad Posts: 3,294
    edited November 2014
    CD13 said:

Ed accuses Ukip of being a divisive force - he wouldn't like to live in a UK like that. Setting one section of society against another.

Yet, as far as I can see, nearly all his policies are based on an "us and them" theme. "They're all out to get you."

The fat cats aren't paying their tax, the energy companies are robbing you blind, they're making society more unequal, hard-working families are being taken advantage of by the elite. Vote Labour to sort the bastards out.

His main gripe is that he thinks Ukip have stolen his clothes. But they're stigmatising potential Labour voters and not Tory ones.

John Brown and the other campaigners against slavery in the 19th century United States were a divisive force, too. There are worse things.

• Options
    Millsy said:

* Scottish National Party (SNP) - £1,572.825

Assuming (possibly unfairly) Labour splits it's spending on the basis of population - in Scotland that's:

Labour: £255,144
    SNP: £1,572,825

Assuming spending is broken down in proportion to sitting MPs it's still only £0.5m to the SNP's £1.5m.....
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    Another caption fail by BBC, looks like a Sea Hurricane not a Vampire.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-30039300
  • Options
    Miss Vance, aren't there spending limits, though?
  • Options

Miss Vance, aren't there spending limits, though?

You've obviously never returned a set of election accounts.

• Options
    @GuidoFawkes: Chuka Abandons Ed’s “Zero-Zero Thing” After 12 Hours http://t.co/yDbBNgYUgU https://t.co/HyLVAUC5qO

@CCHQPress: Major Labour donor backs leadership rival @ChukaUmunna as it’s clear @Ed_Miliband is #JustNotUpToIt
    http://t.co/aZKtewBhVF
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,405

"We wouldn't put the Tories into government," Nicola Sturgeon said on the Today programme, while, as part of an interview with Mure Dickie in the FT, Alex Salmond raises the possibility of a confidence and supply deal with the Labour Party after the next election.

The angle for Lab should be (if I may be so bold) that the indyref was won conclusively so for heaven's sake don't go reawakening the whole thing again by voting in the SNP.

We have what we want which is more powers (promised) to Scotland so let's work with that, whoever the incumbent at Westminster is.
  • Options

Is it a tax that has been deliberately engineered by government to allow people with the know how, or the means to afford someone else with the know how, to completely avoid paying it?

If so, why does it exist at all? That would clearly be unfair on those without the means or the know how.

If not, and the ways of getting around it are accidental loopholes, will you criticise the Milibands for what you surely must regard as action as morally reprehensible as the legal corporate tax avoidance that you're seemingly keen to publicly condemn?

Or do you have to try to find a third way to explain this, saving you the bother of sticking to your principles without criticising Miliband?

I think that IHT should be made as effective as possible - I paid a large chunk on my mum's estate and thought it quite painless (the windfall was welcome anyway). I know the practical difficulties, though. As for your query, I try not to comment on anyone's private affairs, especially when I don't know the details, such as the arrangements of Mr Miliband senior's estate N years ago.
  • Options
    Mr. Abroad, indeed not.
  • Options

I think that IHT should be made as effective as possible - I paid a large chunk on my mum's estate and thought it quite painless (the windfall was welcome anyway). I know the practical difficulties, though. As for your query, I try not to comment on anyone's private affairs, especially when I don't know the details, such as the arrangements of Mr Miliband senior's estate N years ago.
    Ah, way three..
  • Options
    isam said:

This looks like this is a case of people breaking the law and being caught. How would UKIP have handled it differently?
    Were the sarcastic remarks due to the nationality of the wrongdoers?
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    edited November 2014

Vote UKIP -get Miliband and Sturgeon.

What a thought.

• Options
    CD13 said:

Yeah Righto Ed

Look at the places where Labour are strong... The muslim caliphates of East London, and South Yorkshire...

What lovely examples of a United britain
  • Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915

It is funny how the SNP cannot remember anything before 2011. From 2007 to 2011 it was Annabel Goldie and the Scottish Tories who put Alex Salmond into the First Minister seat and kept him there by voting through each SNP budget when Labour and the LibDems opposed them.

Just as the Jacobites failed to guard their flank and rear in 1746 and turned their backs on many of their early supporters so the SNP should watch out because the Scottish Tories haven't gone away. Quite the opposite.
  • Options
    Right ho, that's me done fr to-day. See you all in the morning (and one of David Herdson's essays I hope), so God bless...
  • Options

the Scottish Tories haven't gone away. Quite the opposite.

*cough*Scottish Tory Surge ...*cough*
  • Options
    edited November 2014

isam said:

'

This looks like this is a case of people breaking the law and being caught. How would UKIP have handled it differently?
    They sure were

I wouldn't have thought there were too many english people that need to trick pregnant young women into marriage in order to be allowed to stay in the country would you?
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    edited November 2014

There’s no doubt that this has been a dramatic polling week with apparently a move from LAB

Looking at RobC's excellent opinion poll charts, we can see that the Conservatives have engineered a swing of about 1.5% from Labour between 22nd September and 6th November (six and a half weeks). If there has been a further swing in the last week towards the Conservatives then it builds upon the Labour decline since the Scottish independence referendum and conference season.

The Conservative lead at the last election was 7.3% (across Great Britain), so they require a further swing of just over 4% in their favour. This means that, very roughly speaking, the period since IndyRef has seen the Conservatives make more than one quarter of the progress they need to make to achieve a majority-winning lead over Labour in GE2015 - bearing in mind that the Lib Dem collapse means that the Tories would probably achieve a majority with the same lead over Labour as in GE2010.

Three more quarters of progress to make. An optimistic scenario [for the Conservatives] would pencil in doing so as a result of the Autumn Statement, the Budget, and the election campaign itself. Nervous times for an anti-Tory...
  • Options

It's strange that such a principled fellow as you (I applaud your family's decision to pay the full whack given those principles, even if I may consequently question your collective intelligence for making the choice to give away large wads of cash so willingly) would be happy to unquestionably support a man who hasn't enlightened us on how much tax his family may have legally avoided.
  • Options

sven cheers on Anglo-phobes. It must be a plastic-Danish thing, innit...!
  • Options

It is funny how the SNP cannot remember anything before 2011. From 2007 to 2011 it was Annabel Goldie and the Scottish Tories who put Alex Salmond into the First Minister seat and kept him there by voting through each SNP budget when Labour and the LibDems opposed them.

Just as the Jacobites failed to guard their flank and rear in 1746 and turned their backs on many of their early supporters so the SNP should watch out because the Scottish Tories haven't gone away. Quite the opposite.
    antifrank said:

It is a risk. Much depends on how this is structured if it happens. Nicola Sturgeon is rumoured to be opposed to the idea of a broader Yes alliance, but two out of three candidates for the Deputy role are openly in favour.

On the specifics of the piece, the Greens have named Edinburgh East as their one Scottish target. They'll be hugely annoyed if the SNP seek to put a different Yes Alliance candidate in that seat:

http://www.scottishgreens.org.uk/email-newsletter/edinburgh-greens-newsletter-7th-november-2014/6342/
    I'm wondering if the out of touch Nats are making a blunder here.

It could potentially allow across Scotland, Unionists to unite being the leading SNP/yes alliance candidate.
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    Indigo said:

Socrates said:
    Well quite. That's because he has a few ideas, but not vision. He doesnt know what he actually wants to do with the country, and doesnt have the faintest idea how he will get there., the next paragraph of that article is even more damning
    Mr Miliband said his principal task was to change the country. But change it from what, and to what exactly? After all, his party was in government for 13 years until 2010. What we are today is as much Labour’s responsibility as anyone else’s. Were there not bankers before 2010 earning big bonuses? Were there not people avoiding taxes? What did the Labour government, of which Mr Miliband was a leading figure, do about that?

He lamented our unequal society; and yet inequality grew under the Labour government and the “privileged few” thrived. Indeed, the rich were taxed at a lower rate than they are now. The greatest scandals in the NHS happened on their watch. Immigration became an issue under Labour. This attempt by Mr Miliband to turn 2010 into Year Zero and disavow all responsibility for what went before simply does not wash.
    This is what they always do. They turned 1979 into year zero and all the ills of the country and the planet were laid at the Tories door within 3 months of the election. They did the same in 2010.

The abject failure to actually do anything constructive or useful is equally matched by their ability to blame everyone or anyone else but themselves for the state in which they always leave the country.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,154
    I suspect that a swathe of Tory marginals are heading back towards "too close to call" - polling them now would just give us a bunch more uncertainty.

Looking at those funding numbers, it will be interesting to see when Labour starts drawing in its expectations of which Tory seats are in reach. If only because they are now going to have to siphon off a shedload of money to Scotland, to retain what they have. They will have to try and give the pretence of shooting for a majority, but I won't be surprised if Labour soon have to curtail all efforts on seats outside a majority of say 10.

Their private polling in some seats where UKIP are a threat will also be throwing a spanner in the works of their, er, well-oiled machine....

That said, all spending is going to have limited results whilst ever Ed is still at the helm. It is hard to have a relaunch when the rocket has so determinedly refused to fly for the past four years - and no elements of its design appear to have been changed. Labour stick resolutely to the Fireworks Code - do not go back to a firework once it has been lit, in the expectation that it could yet burst into life. But Ed looks ever more like a rocket still forlornly stuck in the bottle on the morning of November 6th....
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

Very well spotted. The mast supporting the radio-aerial would be obvious to anyone who has built an Airfix model-kit! :)
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    if you haven't heard yet, chaos M25 anticlockwise leatherhead. The road has collapsed.. AVOID AT ALL COSTS
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@EdConwaySky: Germany just avoids recession. Economy grows by 0.1pc in q3. Previous quarter also revised up from -0.2% to -0.1%

Isn't it about now the left start shouting about triple dips? Unless the left in Germany won't talk Germany down ( unlike the left in this country talking about UK)
  • Options

You're being harsh on the SNP.

Don't forget they helped usher Lady Thatcher into Downing Street and 18 glorious years of Tory rule
  • Options
    Swiss_BobSwiss_Bob Posts: 619
    edited November 2014
    dr_spyn said:

Isn't a Sea Hurricane a version of the Hurricane? Ie it has a prop.

Edit - Just seen the other photo, no not likely a Vampire as it clearly has a tail-wheel.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    isam said:

isam said:

'

They sure were

I wouldn't have thought there were too many english people that need to trick pregnant young women into marriage in order to be allowed to stay in the country would you?
    In a Ukip run Britain - will it be zero crime or zero crime committed by brown people ?
  • Options
  • Options

if you haven't heard yet, chaos M25 anticlockwise leatherhead. The road has collapsed.. AVOID AT ALL COSTS

This is a gift to Ukip, playing into Farage's hands etc etc etc..
  • Options
    If Patrick is still around I would like to bring this comment to his attention.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

Indeed, he was the carrier landing test pilot for that as well, so right pilot, wrong aircraft.

• Options
    TGOHF said:

isam said:

isam said:

'

They sure were

In a Ukip run Britain - will it be zero crime or zero crime committed by brown people ?
    God you are a bore... If it makes you happy to smear and lie on here when you know what your saying is nonsense, I can't stop you, but it makes you look a complete prick
  • Options
    isam said:

TGOHF said:

isam said:

isam said:

'

They sure were

God you are a bore... If it makes you happy to smear and lie on here when you know what your saying is nonsense, I can't stop you, but it makes you look a complete prick
    As boring as posting every link to crime not committed by Aryans and saying how wonderful it is for Ukip ? That would take some doing.
  • Options
    Swiss_Bob said:

dr_spyn said:

Isn't a Sea Hurricane a version of the Hurricane? Ie it has a prop.

Edit - Just seen the other photo, not not likely a Vampire as it clearly has a tail-wheel.
    Sea Hurricane was an adaptation for FAA, some had an arrestor hook, strengthen u/c. Some were fired off catapults from merchant ships.

Second photo shows either a Spitfire or Seafire.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,906
    edited November 2014
    Isam

"Your Granddad died so you could buy our rosemary foccacia you ungrateful fucks, so get out there and start shopping."

We're becoming a nation of victims. It used to just be Liverpudlians but it's spread to the rest of the country. I would date it from aftermath of Diana's car crash and it's just got worse. Todays hand wringing in thenTelegraph and the Guardian is something to behold. In advertising terms I'd say it's close to a masterpece.
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    One matter clarified on Today programme by Nicola Sturgeon,there is no likelihood of the SNP propping up the Tories after GE2015.Any support for a Labour minority would be on "an issue by issue" basis,so no formal coalition with Labour either.
    The conclusion is to leave the SNP out of calculations for inclusion into the next government betting possibilities.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

isam said:

TGOHF said:

isam said:

isam said:

'

They sure were

As boring as posting every link to crime not committed by Aryans and saying how wonderful it is for Ukip ? That would take some doing.
    Possibly, I don't do that either
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

This is a gift to Ukip, playing into Farage's hands etc etc etc..
    Clearly shoddy work by foreigners.
  • Options
    BenMBenM Posts: 1,795
    No doubt Labour's grip in the marginals is loosened, probably terminally.

My frustration with Ed is reaching Dan Hodges levels. If only he'd given yesterday's speech at the conference.

It wasn't great by any means and would still have been bettered by Cameron's, but as I said at the time, better a 2-1 defeat than the 5-0 drubbing Ed got.

Ed's then sat back and watched Labour's poll share slip away like sand in a timer, an utter irrelevance in Rochester.

And the lesson of the past few weeks is that Conference Speeches prior to elections do matter.
  • Options

OKC:

Re the proposition of subsidising "The Living Wage": Is this not what the 'left' are saying happens already, with Working-Familiy-Credits? Or is the simpleton going to issue more red-tape, administration and burden on top of the existing, current, failed fiasco...?

Dunno Mr T; I'm just the messenger! It's like the "scrap the H&SC Act"! sounds good but......

Personally, as a RedLib, I'm waiting to see the LD (and the Green) proposals.
  • Options

antifrank said:

I'm wondering if the out of touch Nats are making a blunder here.

It could potentially allow across Scotland, Unionists to unite being the leading SNP/yes alliance candidate.
    I think it's a good idea for the SNP (it stops the Yes vote being split), but it needs to be led by the Yes movement, not the SNP. Having an entirely avoidable row with the Greens would be a very bad start.

The No camp will not unite. The three unionist parties all hate each other. Can you imagine David Cameron encouraging votes for Ed Miliband anywhere?
  • Options
    Indigo said:

dr_spyn said:

Indeed, he was the carrier landing test pilot for that as well, so right pilot, wrong aircraft.

First item on Desert Island Discs Cap'n Brown chooses At Last - Glen Miller Band - but 1944 story which goes with is good.
  • Options

Be interesting if the Tories either get most votes or just creep over and get more seats than Labour. Then Labour are installed in England by Scottish Labour MP,s and a Nationalist Scottish party while Ed refuses EV4EL.. The West Lothian question would become a storm in a teacup in comparison.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Isam

"Your Granddad died so you could buy our rosemary foccacia you ungrateful fucks, so get out there and start shopping."

We're becoming a nation of victims. It used to just be Liverpudlians but it's spread to the rest of the country. I would date it from aftermath of Diana's car crash and it's just got worse. Todays hand wringing in thenTelegraph and the Guardian is something to behold. In advertising terms I'd say it's close to a masterpece.

It's vomit inducing, and it's not even original.

That reminds me I must pop toTesco and buy some Pipes of Peace
  • Options
    BenM said:

No doubt Labour's grip in the marginals is loosened, probably terminally.

My frustration with Ed is reaching Dan Hodges levels. If only he'd given yesterday's speech at the conference.

It wasn't great by any means and would still have been bettered by Cameron's, but as I said at the time, better a 2-1 defeat than the 5-0 drubbing Ed got.

Ed's then sat back and watched Labour's poll share slip away like sand in a timer, an utter irrelevance in Rochester.

And the lesson of the past few weeks is that Conference Speeches prior to elections do matter.

Only negatively, mainly. The Labour leader's conference speech mattered because it was awful and the public concluded that Ed Miliband wasn't up to the job.

Can anyone remember much of what David Cameron said?
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

Indigo said:

dr_spyn said:

First item on Desert Island Discs Cap'n Brown chooses At Last - Glen Miller Band - but 1944 story which goes with is good.
    Saw a documentary on him. An amazing record that will almost certainly never be broken - Most aircraft types flown.

Not forgetting all the other stuff. Gobsmacking.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,906
    edited November 2014
    Isam

"It's vomit inducing, and it's not even original."

You miss the point of the ad....infact you miss the point of advertising

More to your taste

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYDBMjvqMlM
  • Options
    ItajaiItajai Posts: 721
    edited November 2014

I’ve just had an email from the Labour Party; no idea how or why I got on a supporters list; must be because I’m a retired member of a Union, although I’ve no record of havin g paid fees for several years.
    Anyway, the email sets out Labour Policies, under three headings; as
    ____________________________________________________________________________________________
    First, I will undo the damage the Tories have done to our country:

I will scrap the Bedroom Tax, which unfairly punishes the disabled and the vulnerable
    I will scrap the Health and Social Care Act, which damages and undermines our NHS
    I will scrap the gagging law, which limits our freedom of speech and right to campaign
    I will reverse the Tories' £3bn tax cut for millionaires, so we get the deficit down but do it fairly

Second, I will take on the powerful vested interests that hold millions back:
    I will force energy companies to freeze gas and electricity bills until 2017
    I will give power back to those who rent their homes, by scrapping letting fees and stabilising tenancy agreements
    I will raise money from tobacco companies, tax avoiders, and a mansion tax to fund doctors, nurses, careworkers and midwives for our NHS
    I will reform our banks so that they properly support small businesses
    I will stop recruitment agencies hiring only from abroad

Third, I will start to rebuild a fairer, better Britain:
    I will raise the minimum wage, to ensure that everyone that does a hard day's work is properly rewarded
    I will promote the living wage by giving tax breaks to companies that pay it
    I will ban the damaging zero-hours contracts that exploit British workers
    I will bring in a lower 10p income tax rate, cutting taxes for 24 million workers
    I will support working parents with 25 hours of free childcare for three- and four-year-olds
    I will help more young people get on the housing ladder by getting 200,000 homes built every year
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________
    Now I like some of the first batch, although IMHO the last thing the NHS needs is yet another shake up.. What does “scrapping the H&SC Act" mean? Going back to what we had before? Modify maybe but as I say, more structural disruption is a plan for disaster.

In the second batch, the energy freeze is surely fraught with problems, and as I’ve often said, why a “mansion tax” Why not add a couple of bands to those which already exist for Council Tax. And how do you direct taxes to specific activities.

I see he forgot immigration again.
  • Options

because the Scottish Tories haven't gone away. Quite the opposite.

Go back to your constituency (singular) and prepare for...err...

Scottish Ipsos, Cons: 10%
    Scottish Yougov, Cons: 15%
    Scottish Panelbase, Cons: 15%
This discussion has been closed.