Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The big and only real question is how the changes in the na

Comments

• Options
    Mr. Eagles, to be fair, I've not heard a UKIP candidate call for racial quotas.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I'll admit I was expecting to win and tried to load the terms up in my favour... Brent rather than WTI due to the "spread", 50 GBP rather than 80 USD as I thought GBP might tank a bit from where it was, year end rather than anytime so the bet can "come back" if it is underwater (Like it is now). If I lose then you've called the market remarkably well.

Hmmm,

Junior helped! Once the US became an exporter then supply must be greater than demand.

Other events that have become known:
    # As we approach 2015 we should be entering a global Anglo-Saxon slow-down (with Europe following thereafter),
    # "China-Strong" sympathisers tend not to be au-fiat with economics. China will see a Celtic-Tiger adjustment as debt unwinds,
    # QE is being unwound in the US (and, wrongly I thought, in the UK),
    # The Euro-Zone fails to address structural imbalances.
    # Mid-East Oil producers are increasing output.
    Events I assumed known that have failed:
    # Carney would push Sterling up as the economy grows. Why he is focused on six-month inflation forecast as-opposed-to, say, eighteen or twenty-four is his enigma.
    Events I could not predict:
    # Putin being a total [MODERATED]. To be fair he fecked his own team first and is likely to lose the Amur region in the next few decades.
    # ISIS/Jihadi/UK-drug-dealers being expansionist dealers of Mesopotamian oil (via Sunni-Islamist Turkey).
    Like Wee-Timmy my bet was phrased as a one-snapshot-in-a-year-win: You correctly fixed a single-point-in-time. You also accepted my £50/evens and did not pontificate like a certain 'techie' I could name.... :)

• Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Sean_F said:

TGOHF said:

Well I agree with most of Tim Montgomerie's comments, but his final thought

Eeesh, what a numpty, from IDS's former Chief of Staff

Ten reasons why I won’t be joining UKIP

http://www.conservativehome.com/thetorydiary/2014/11/ten-reasons-why-i-wont-be-joining-ukip.html

He helpfully omits the polling that shows Cam more popular than the party. Tim is deep in the bubble.
    That doesn't make Cameron a good leader. Conservative support hasn't really budged from 33% or thereabouts since 1997. Fortunately, Labour support has fallen away over that period.
    What would Con support be with David Davis in charge - 19% ?

• Options
    NickPalmer, Noted that you think you will win next time and I agree. But, in the past you have said that voters opinions were largely settled in your canvassing and had made their minds up on the GE. I am trying to square that with the significant loss of about 1/4 of the Labour supporters in the past 12 months or so. Have you not seen any significant drop in Lab support? Or does your canvassing show significant drops for both of the main parties?

• Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    TGOHF said:

Adverts will be better under a Ukip government...

The more snide comments like that we read the more CON/UKIP waverers are going to think fsck it, and vote UKIP...

• Options
    Itajai said:

TGOHF said:

Roger said:

We're becoming a nation of victims. It used to just be Liverpudlians but it's spread to the rest of the country. I would date it from aftermath of Diana's car crash and it's just got worse.

Agree - and the two political parties seeing most growth play victim hood like a violin - sometimes it's difficult to tell their arguments apart - if only we weren't in the EU//UK everything ŵoukd be so much better and it's all someone else's fault.........
    "Let us run Britain because we hate it so much"
    That's Labour
    Also the Lib Dems view.

• Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    edited November 2014

Last night the LDs gained a seat in Cambridge.

Huppert is 5/4 to retain his seat with PP

Looks like it was a seat held, compared to the results in 2014? Last night's result, with (changes on May 2014) [changes on May 2010], was:

Liberal Democrat 36% (-7) [-14]
    Labour 31% (+1) [+18]
    Conservative 24% (+8) [-5]
    Green 9% (-2) [+1]

Note that UKIP stood a candidate in the ward in 2010, but not in either of the 2014 elections.

A very comfortable Labour gain in Cambridge in 2015 if this ward is in any way representative - which it might be, even though not in the constituency!
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    edited November 2014

Pulpstar said:

TGOHF said:

http://www.conservativehome.com/thetorydiary/2014/11/ten-reasons-why-i-wont-be-joining-ukip.html

He helpfully omits the polling that shows Cam more popular than the party. Tim is deep in the bubble.
    The most fascinating thing about that, Montie tweeted it, and Douglas Carswell replied with

Douglas Carswell MP @DouglasCarswell

@montie @ConHome a thoughtful piece, Tim. As always. Much to mull over

Is he thinking of re ratting?
    Not until next March, when his re-ratting would cause maximum damage ahead of the election. "I have now had six months to see UKIP from the inside. I had thought they were well intentioned people, with an alternative vision for Britain. I was very wrong on both counts...."
    Obviously were he to do that, he would be a patriotic principled chap worthy of praise.
    I second that emotion
    There's alot of wishful thinking on this site sometimes.
    Understatement of the century!!!

If UKIP can't even get the founder of UKIPhome to join them then really, they must be toxic.
    Yup, the polling backs that up.

UKIP are the most extreme, least fit to govern party with candidates more likely to hold racist/offensive views
    Mr Montgomerie said "there’s more in UKIP that I like than I dislike".

The 24 October Opinium has 31% of voters ready to vote UKIP if they thought it could win in their constituency.
  • Options
    SeanT is on good form this morning

sean thomas knox @thomasknox

In the face of the EU's desperate stagnation, it is literally insane to say "we will never leave", as Ed Miliband did last week.

What if the EU decides, in its economic apocalypse, to force Kate Middleton to go on the game? Might we leave then, Mr Miliband?

What if the EU, faced with economic doom, decides to burn British grandmothers as cheap winter fuel. Would we STILL stay in, Mr Miliband?

Ed Miliband is a silly, helpless twit. I understand I may not be the first person to have noticed this.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    Pulpstar said:

TGOHF said:

The most fascinating thing about that, Montie tweeted it, and Douglas Carswell replied with

Not until next March, when his re-ratting would cause maximum damage ahead of the election. "I have now had six months to see UKIP from the inside. I had thought they were well intentioned people, with an alternative vision for Britain. I was very wrong on both counts...."
    Obviously were he to do that, he would be a patriotic principled chap worthy of praise.
    I second that emotion
    Conservatives the value in Rochester at 6/4, 7/4, 2/1, 9/4, 5/2, 11/4, 3/1,10/3, 7/2 etc etc

"I told Mike to lay UKIP, it's what I have been doing...." etc etc
  • Options

Looks like it was a seat held, compared to the results in 2014? Last night's result, with changes on May 2014, was:

Liberal Democrat 36% (-7)
    Labour 31% (+1)
    Conservative 24% (+8)
    Green 9% (-2)
    Turns out it isn't in Huppert's seat.
  • Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited November 2014

14 things that are more popular than Ed Miliband
    Only 13 per cent of people say Ed Miliband is ready to be Prime Minister. That's fewer people than believe Princess Diana was murdered
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/ed-miliband/11228962/14-things-that-are-more-popular-than-Ed-Miliband.html

The 13% strategy replaces the 35% one?
    " Journalists and bankers are trusted to tell the truth by only 21 per cent of people, while estate agents get 24. "
  • Options
    FalseFlagFalseFlag Posts: 1,801

NickPalmer, Noted that you think you will win next time and I agree. But, in the past you have said that voters opinions were largely settled in your canvassing and had made their minds up on the GE. I am trying to square that with the significant loss of about 1/4 of the Labour supporters in the past 12 months or so. Have you not seen any significant drop in Lab support? Or does your canvassing show significant drops for both of the main parties?

People being polite/wanting him to leave them alone.
  • Options

Mr. Eagles, to be fair, I've not heard a UKIP candidate call for racial quotas.

I'm not in fan of quotas.

Unless it involves redheads.
  • Options
    Patrick said:

BenM

Genuine question: Why are you frustrated with Redward? Do you still actually want Labour to win? (and if Yes why?)

OT is it only me who sees Redward and thinks of John Redwood?
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Ed Miliband is a silly, helpless twit. I understand I may not be the first person to have noticed this.

Some may be tempted to opine...

Ed Miliband Will Never Be Prime Minister
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322

If UKIP can't even get the founder of UKIPhome to join them then really, they must be toxic.

I'm just trying to wrap my head around this statement. The fact that founder of the biggest grassroots Conservative website has to write a column saying why he's not defecting, despite much he admires in UKIP, is somehow evidence that UKIP are doing a bad job?

Rather than constantly going on about how horrible UKIP are, perhaps Conservatives would do a better job if they considered why so much of their traditional support now prefers UKIP to the Tories that you need to refer to your main grassroots website as "UKIPHome"?
  • Options
    JonnyJimmyJonnyJimmy Posts: 2,548
    edited November 2014
    Indigo said:

TGOHF said:

The more snide comments like that we read the more CON/UKIP waverers are going to think fsck it, and vote UKIP...

You're thinking of making weird Ed PM because some Tory posters on a blog are a bit snide? It's a view I suppose...
  • Options

Patrick said:

BenM

Genuine question: Why are you frustrated with Redward? Do you still actually want Labour to win? (and if Yes why?)

Yes, but when I see it, I think of Jedward.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mv8Fk0vLEOU

If only their parents had called them Peter and Rick.
  • Options
    Oh look!

Will check tonight once I return to Bedfordshire....
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746

Oh look!

What are these numbers?
  • Options

Patrick said:

BenM

Not sure I've ever confused the two! - but now you've put the homophone in my mind. So what's the best nickname for him then?
    Microband?
    Miliblob?
    Redward?
    Red Ed?
    The Gimp?
    Wallace?
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

TGOHF said:

I second that emotion

UKIP are the most extreme, least fit to govern party with candidates more likely to hold racist/offensive views
    Given that you are a supporter of a party that doesn't feel a national investigation for tens of thousands of racist child rapes is necessary, I think you lack credibility here.
  • Options

[IMG: d.ibtimes.co.uk/en/full/1383257/isis-syria-iraq.png ]

You like Chechen Jihadis? I suppose it takes all sorts....
  • Options
    Patrick said:

Patrick said:

BenM

Not sure I've ever confused the two! - but now you've put the homophone in my mind. So what's the best nickname for him then?
    Microband?
    Miliblob?
    Redward?
    Red Ed?
    The Gimp?
    Wallace?
    Milicraperoo!

It now has ONE google hit :)
  • Options
    Socrates said:

Pulpstar said:

TGOHF said:

I second that emotion

Given that you are a supporter of a party that doesn't feel a national investigation for tens of thousands of racist child rapes is necessary, I think you lack credibility here.
    So you ignore the polling, that's fine by me.

Considering you're a supporter of a party that has been condemned by the victims and their parents for exploiting the tragedy, you're the one who lacks credibility.

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,068

Oh look!

What are these numbers?
    It is the Brent crude oil price (In USD) transposed to GBP taking the bank mid rate.

Me and Fluffy have a bet on it.
  • Options

[IMG: d.ibtimes.co.uk/en/full/1383257/isis-syria-iraq.png ]

You like Chechen Jihadis? I suppose it takes all sorts....
    Hellz no.

More of the Christina Hendricks, Karen Gillan variety.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Sean_F said:

TGOHF said:

That doesn't make Cameron a good leader. Conservative support hasn't really budged from 33% or thereabouts since 1997. Fortunately, Labour support has fallen away over that period.

Maybe knock off 3 points that would have gone to the Lib Dems and add 10 points from UKIP. I'd guess around 40%?
  • Options
    edited November 2014

Patrick said:

BenM

Yes, but when I see it, I think of Jedward.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mv8Fk0vLEOU

If only their parents had called them Peter and Rick.
    I do too. Redwood and Jedward, both.
  • Options

Indigo said:

TGOHF said:

You're thinking of making weird Ed PM because some Tory posters on a blog are a bit snide? It's a view I suppose...
    Or.

The Conservative Party is thinking of making Ed PM, because they can't be civil to the people that have been turning out for them for years, because they suddenly have this fantastic notion that if they witter a few green nostrums and burn a few sacred cows of the shire tories, the Guardian Readers will kick off their sandals and come and vote Tory.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Good morning. Hopefully we'll get another Rochester poll before polling day, maybe from Survation or ComRes.
  • Options
    edited November 2014

Considering you're a supporter of a party that has been condemned by the victims and their parents for exploiting the tragedy, you're the one who lacks credibility.

What percentage of the tens of thousands of victims are you referring to?

I'm very glad a party that focuses on principle rather than polling is ramping up its share of the vote. They wouldn't do something like point to the polls to justify handing over ancient British protections for the accused to the European Union.
  • Options

Oh look!

What are these numbers?
    Sterling for Brent-Crude. Most talked about event on OGH's site since a pair of Red-Shoes.
  • Options

What if the EU decides, in its economic apocalypse, to force Kate Middleton to go on the game? Might we leave then, Mr Miliband?

IIUC Labour's position is still to have a referendum on large transfers of sovereignty and the EU don't currently have the authority to do this, so the assumption here would be that Britain has held a referendum on letting the EU make Kate Middleton go on the game, and the British voted "yes". I don't see why the UK would leave the EU over this since they were clearly in agreement with it, although Kate Middleton might want to leave the UK.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

Indigo said:

TGOHF said:

Or.

The Conservative Party is thinking of making Ed PM, because they can't be civil to the people that have been turning out for them for years, because they suddenly have this fantastic notion that if they witter a few green nostrums and burn a few sacred cows of the shire tories, the Guardian Readers will kick off their sandals and come and vote Tory.
    The Conservative party won't be in the polling booth with you, urging you to vote for UKIP. It'll be entirely up to you if you decide to help weird Ed become PM because you can't brush off some snide comments
  • Options
    Socrates said:

I'm very glad a party that focuses on principle rather than polling is ramping up its share of the vote. They wouldn't do something like point to the polls to justify handing over ancient British protections for the accused to the European Union.
    As I keep on pointing on, the polling shows, UKIP supporters have a negative impression of Asian men not shared by the public at large.

That's why the good people of South Yorkshire rejected UKIP.
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    Sometimes Mr Collins is right on the button - today is a good example. The Fink was superb on political coups a couple of days ago. thetimes.co.uk/tto/opinion/columnists/article4264976.ece
    Scott_P said:

@JohnRentoul: The Genesis drummer is VG in The Times today £ http://t.co/9ETz9DVVf5 http://t.co/Bz6ZNGOXnu

• Options

IIUC Labour's position is still to have a referendum on large transfers of sovereignty and the EU don't currently have the authority to do this, so the assumption here would be that Britain has held a referendum on letting the EU make Kate Middleton go on the game, and the British voted "yes". I don't see why the UK would leave the EU over this since they were clearly in agreement with it, although Kate Middleton might want to leave the UK.
    Your faith in the Labour party on EU plebiscites is touching.

Remember how shamefully they acted over Lisbon
  • Options
    Mr. Tokyo, Labour also campaigned for a referendum on the Lisbon Treaty, and then just didn't hold one.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

TGOHF said:

I second that emotion

Yougov

ABC1 (C2DE) Voting intentions

TORIES 35% (29%)
    LABOUR 33% (37%)
    UKIP 12% (20%)
    LIBDEMS 9% (6%)
    GREENS 7% (4%)
    SNP / PC 4% (4%)
  • Options
    Indigo said:

Indigo said:

TGOHF said:

Or.

It has been a very long time since the Conservatives wittered any Green nostrums - which is one of many measures of the success UKIP have had in changing the political weather.
  • Options

Rather reminiscent of how the Conservatives acted on promising referenda for "significant transfers of powers", and then not even giving parliament a vote on the EAW.
  • Options

Patrick said:

Patrick said:

BenM

Microband?
    Miliblob?
    Redward?
    Red Ed?
    The Gimp?
    Wallace?
    Milicraperoo!

And hence a host of temporary googlewhacks like

Massive Milicraperoo
  • Options

Indigo said:

Indigo said:

TGOHF said:

Or.

The Conservative party won't be in the polling booth with you, urging you to vote for UKIP. It'll be entirely up to you if you decide to help weird Ed become PM because you can't brush off some snide comments
    Living as I do in a seat with a 15,000 Tory majority I think they are quite safe, it would only be considered "sending a message" ;-)
  • Options
    Socrates said:

Rather reminiscent of how the Conservatives acted on promising referenda for "significant transfers of powers", and then not even giving parliament a vote on the EAW.
    When even the likes of Sir Bill Cash says the referendum lock didn't apply on Monday, you know you're on shaky ground with that.
  • Options

Patrick said:

Patrick said:

BenM

Microband?
    Miliblob?
    Redward?
    Red Ed?
    The Gimp?
    Wallace?
    Milicraperoo!

And hence a host of temporary googlewhacks like

Massive Milicraperoo
    Actually, craperoo, it has to be a word in the dictionary :(
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,164
    edited November 2014

Mr. Tokyo, Labour also campaigned for a referendum on the Lisbon Treaty, and then just didn't hold one.

That's not quite true - there's a weasel in there because it's a different treaty to the one they promised a referendum on, without the flag and the anthem and things. But even allowing for future weaselling I'm confident they won't transfer powers to make Kate Middleton go on the game without a referendum. I'm not even sure they'll do it at all.
  • Options
    Yup.
    CD13 said:

Ed accuses Ukip of being a divisive force - he wouldn't like to live in a UK like that. Setting one section of society against another.

Yet, as far as I can see, nearly all his policies are based on an "us and them" theme. "They're all out to get you."

The fat cats aren't paying their tax, the energy companies are robbing you blind, they're making society more unequal, hard-working families are being taken advantage of by the elite. Vote Labour to sort the bastards out.

His main gripe is that he thinks Ukip have stolen his clothes. But they're stigmatising potential Labour voters and not Tory ones.

• Options

Socrates said:

As I keep on pointing on, the polling shows, UKIP supporters have a negative impression of Asian men not shared by the public at large.

A mild difference in supporters' views of different ethnicities, particularly with such a vague and ambiguous wording, ranks far lower in importance than the actual party itself not investigating tens of thousands of child rapes on account of racial sensitivities.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

Indigo said:

Indigo said:

TGOHF said:

Or.

Living as I do in a seat with a 15,000 Tory majority I think they are quite safe, it would only be considered "sending a message" ;-)
    Ah, so you can afford to be so frivolous with your vote!
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,348

malcolmg said:

I see the SNP have ruled out propping up the Tories. From the Times Red Box:

Scottish Tories haven't gone away. Quite the opposite.

antifrank said:

For those betting on a high number of SNP seats next year, this could be expensive.

The Scottish National party is planning to target more seats at Westminster by allowing prominent yes campaigners to stand at the general election, the Guardian can reveal.

The party’s annual conference is expected to endorse plans on Friday to allow its newest members to stand for election, after its ranks were swelled by more than 60,000 new activists and supporters after the referendum.

In a potentially far-reaching move, the party could also promote non-SNP candidates as part of a broader “yes alliance” of independence campaigners, allowing them to stand in place of the SNP under that wider banner.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/nov/14/snp-alex-salmond-indepence-campaigners-general-election

It is a risk. Much depends on how this is structured if it happens. Nicola Sturgeon is rumoured to be opposed to the idea of a broader Yes alliance, but two out of three candidates for the Deputy role are openly in favour.

On the specifics of the piece, the Greens have named Edinburgh East as their one Scottish target. They'll be hugely annoyed if the SNP seek to put a different Yes Alliance candidate in that seat:

http://www.scottishgreens.org.uk/email-newsletter/edinburgh-greens-newsletter-7th-november-2014/6342/
    I'm wondering if the out of touch Nats are making a blunder here.

It could potentially allow across Scotland, Unionists to unite being the leading SNP/yes alliance candidate.
    Ha Ha Ha , you been sniffing the sherry bottle
    Considering you called me a turnip among other things, when I said UKIP were likely to win a Euro seat and No would win, it's clear I'm more in touch with the Scottish public than you are.
    you got that one on auto repeat for every time it is pointed out you are talking through a hole in your erchie
  • Options
    Socrates said:

Socrates said:

A mild difference in supporters' views of different ethnicities, particularly with such a vague and ambiguous wording, ranks far lower in importance than the actual party itself not investigating tens of thousands of child rapes on account of racial sensitivities.
    Again keep on denying the polling and all the other evidence.

You're making my case far stronger than I ever could.
  • Options
    Quite.

Roger said:

We're becoming a nation of victims. It used to just be Liverpudlians but it's spread to the rest of the country. I would date it from aftermath of Diana's car crash and it's just got worse.

Agree - and the two political parties seeing most growth play victim hood like a violin - sometimes it's difficult to tell their arguments apart - if only we weren't in the EU//UK everything ŵoukd be so much better and it's all someone else's fault.........
  • Options
    Latest score (before I go):

As correlation =/= causation - and I have not employed Econometrics nor Economic-Statistics for 25 years - I will look at these rates at the close of the market this evening.

:good-hunting-folks:
  • Options

Socrates said:

When even the likes of Sir Bill Cash says the referendum lock didn't apply on Monday, you know you're on shaky ground with that.
    That's the point, isn't it? The referendum lock law didn't do what they said it would. Weasels will weasel.

(But I still think you guys are worrying too much about the Kate Middleton issue.)
  • Options
    @malcolmg.

Turns out my erchie is a more accurate predictor of Scots voting intention than your feeble turnip addled mind ever could.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,684
    AndyJS said:
    Yup. Dodgy Italian courts/police looking for a foreign scapegoat rather than actually try and solve crime. The EAW debate will really explode if this poor woman is extradited to Italy without a hearing and then is stuck in the awful Italian legal system like Foxy Knoxy. At least Amanda Knox had the protection of the US government when the erroneous charges were taken up again. This poor woman will have no protection.
  • Options
    Mr. Tokyo, if I change the font and the title of a book, it's still the same story.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Plato said:

Yup.

CD13 said:

Ed accuses Ukip of being a divisive force - he wouldn't like to live in a UK like that. Setting one section of society against another.

Yet, as far as I can see, nearly all his policies are based on an "us and them" theme. "They're all out to get you."

The fat cats aren't paying their tax, the energy companies are robbing you blind, they're making society more unequal, hard-working families are being taken advantage of by the elite. Vote Labour to sort the bastards out.

His main gripe is that he thinks Ukip have stolen his clothes. But they're stigmatising potential Labour voters and not Tory ones.

"Hi Samuel, the UKIP hustings for the ward of East Ham are to be held...."

"Constituency profile[edit]

Comprising the eastern part of the London Borough of Newham, East Ham is, as at 2010, the safest Labour seat in London and sixth safest in the country. Every component ward has only Labour councillors (resulting from local elections), and their general election candidates have achieved an absolute majority on all four elections against a wide assortment of political parties at each election.

The constituency has the largest proportion of non-white people in the UK; Greater London's highest proportion of British Asian, many of whom are Muslims live in the seat. In the London Borough of Newham 43.5% of people are British Asian in 2011.[n 4]

The constituency takes in several run-down, deprived, lower working class areas with low incomes and high unemployment that in 2000 ranked high in the Index of Multiple Deprivation[2] including Beckton, Silvertown and East Ham itself. London City Airport is in the seat, as are the former Royal Docks where modern luxury housing is springing up.

Around two thirds of constituents are non-white, and more than 40% of the population are immigrants to the UK."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_Ham_(UK_Parliament_constituency)

#OneNation
  • Options

Don't beat about the bush Len - tell us what you really think:

But it is also essential that the other leading candidate, Jim Murphy MP, does not seize the reins in Scotland. This is partly because he is a Westminster politician, and Unite members and many others have clearly expressed the view that Scottish Labour needs to be led from Holyrood by an MSP untainted by the expenses’ scandal which so undermined faith in London politicians.

But even more importantly, Murphy is the candidate of the past and the candidate of division. He is an advocate – and, let me acknowledge, a powerful and committed advocate – for the policies which have led Scottish Labour to its present pass. His victory would be all the SNP’s Christmases come at once.

He supports austerity and “economic credibility” with the City of London. He was a strong backer of the disastrous Iraq War, and made it clear he would have liked to see military action against Syria last year. He backs extending privatisation in the public services. He is a pioneer of tuition fees for students.

http://labourlist.org/2014/11/the-election-in-scotland-matters-to-all-of-us/

Murphy has disappeared , BBC stopped calling him leader etc once the unions etc kicked the crap out of him. One can only hope anybody other than him is elected to lead the regional puppet regime. Will be nice to see him get his just desserts.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    edited November 2014
    ''His main gripe is that he thinks Ukip have stolen his clothes. But they're stigmatising potential Labour voters and not Tory ones.''

Ed's speech shows when he looks at Britain he sees some kind of capitalist North Korea, some kind of Orwellian nightmare.

Of course there are injustices here, just as there are in every country. But deeply unequal, deeply unjust.......??

compared to where....?
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    Plato said:

Sometimes Mr Collins is right on the button - today is a good example. The Fink was superb on political coups a couple of days ago. thetimes.co.uk/tto/opinion/columnists/article4264976.ece

Scott_P said:

@JohnRentoul: The Genesis drummer is VG in The Times today £ http://t.co/9ETz9DVVf5 http://t.co/Bz6ZNGOXnu

Good only in the sense it tells you what Rupert Murdoch is thinking.

• Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,684
    isam said:

Plato said:

Yup.

CD13 said:

Comprising the eastern part of the London Borough of Newham, East Ham is, as at 2010, the safest Labour seat in London and sixth safest in the country. Every component ward has only Labour councillors (resulting from local elections), and their general election candidates have achieved an absolute majority on all four elections against a wide assortment of political parties at each election.

The constituency has the largest proportion of non-white people in the UK; Greater London's highest proportion of British Asian, many of whom are Muslims live in the seat. In the London Borough of Newham 43.5% of people are British Asian in 2011.[n 4]

The constituency takes in several run-down, deprived, lower working class areas with low incomes and high unemployment that in 2000 ranked high in the Index of Multiple Deprivation[2] including Beckton, Silvertown and East Ham itself. London City Airport is in the seat, as are the former Royal Docks where modern luxury housing is springing up.

Around two thirds of constituents are non-white, and more than 40% of the population are immigrants to the UK."

#OneNation
    Newham is a complete and utter s***hole.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    MaxPB said:

isam said:

Plato said:

Yup.

CD13 said:

#OneNation
    Yes

& Havering council is merging with it... and our hospitals have been closed so Newham residents can live in the houses built on them

That's gone down well here
  • Options

Mr. Tokyo, if I change the font and the title of a book, it's still the same story.

Sure, but if you remove a bunch of the scenes it may end up being a different book. (Don't get me wrong though, it was a weaselly move.)
  • Options

@malcolmg.

Turns out my erchie is a more accurate predictor of Scots voting intention than your feeble turnip addled mind ever could.

you will be making up sad tales next
  • Options
    % of a partys voters whom support same sex couples having the right to marry

LIBDEMS 77%
    LABOUR 68%
    TORIES 53%
    UKIP 39%
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    MaxPB said:

AndyJS said:
    Yup. Dodgy Italian courts/police looking for a foreign scapegoat rather than actually try and solve crime. The EAW debate will really explode if this poor woman is extradited to Italy without a hearing and then is stuck in the awful Italian legal system like Foxy Knoxy. At least Amanda Knox had the protection of the US government when the erroneous charges were taken up again. This poor woman will have no protection.
    Wow

It will be interesting to see the how those vehemently in favour of the EAW while vehemently in support of encouraging women to report rape will react/tie themselves in knots
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

But it is also essential that the other leading candidate, Jim Murphy MP, does not seize the reins in Scotland. This is partly because he is a Westminster politician, and Unite members and many others have clearly expressed the view that Scottish Labour needs to be led from Holyrood by an MSP untainted by the expenses’ scandal which so undermined faith in London politicians.

But even more importantly, Murphy is the candidate of the past and the candidate of division. He is an advocate – and, let me acknowledge, a powerful and committed advocate – for the policies which have led Scottish Labour to its present pass. His victory would be all the SNP’s Christmases come at once.

He supports austerity and “economic credibility” with the City of London. He was a strong backer of the disastrous Iraq War, and made it clear he would have liked to see military action against Syria last year. He backs extending privatisation in the public services. He is a pioneer of tuition fees for students.

Murphy has disappeared , BBC stopped calling him leader etc once the unions etc kicked the crap out of him. One can only hope anybody other than him is elected to lead the regional puppet regime. Will be nice to see him get his just desserts.
    I've never thought much of Len Mcluskey tbh, but if he helps Findlay get elected I will be forever grateful.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Good morning. I thought this was rather apt:

Leanne ‏@LeanneSpurs 9h9 hours ago
    David Cameron's porkies will eventually catch up w/ him!
    People wonder when he's lying: #SIMPLE, his lips move!
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B2WbyoRIAAANMyy.jpg
  • Options
    *love this*

• Options
    I do love you, but that's risible. Like Tories eat babies.

I can't quite tell when you're being sincere or mocking yourself. I suspect you really do think Lucifer has body-swapped with this Australian in order to do his evil bidding.

That's even weirder.

Plato said:

Scott_P said:

Good only in the sense it tells you what Rupert Murdoch is thinking.

• Options

LIBDEMS 77%
    LABOUR 68%
    TORIES 53%
    UKIP 39%

Exactly what you'd expect. What's your point?
  • Options
    Will East Ham still be 1-100 Labour the day before the election, or just pulled/ 1-1,000 which are surely the true odds.
  • Options
    I see Internationalists in the same way as Jehovah's Witnesses. It's a viewpoint, but it's not convincing me even in 600 languages.

Itajai said:

TGOHF said:

Roger said:

That's Labour
    Also the Lib Dems view.

• Options

LIBDEMS 77%
    LABOUR 68%
    TORIES 53%
    UKIP 39%

Party that attracts social conservatives has socially conservative views shock!
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,352
    Mr Socrates,

I wouldn't waste your time on the 'R' word. Although some in the Labour party understand, they tend to be northern MPs and out of the elite. As Simon Danczuk remarked in the Telegraph;

" ... the Labour Party is a broad church. But I fear too many hold the view expressed by former Rotherham MP, Denis MacShane, last week. He avoided child abuse in his constituency, he told the BBC, because he was “a Guardian-reading liberal Leftie” and didn’t want to “rock the multicultural community boat”.

No one will be blamed, it will be the system that failed. The managers will move on to other high-paid jobs, lessons will be learned, a line drawn under it, and we will all move on.

So stop going on about it.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831

LIBDEMS 77%
    LABOUR 68%
    TORIES 53%
    UKIP 39%

All rather immaterial.

That particular horse has long since bolted - thankfully.

Equality of opportunity is such a good thing!
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,087

Pulpstar said:

TGOHF said:

I second that emotion

Yet, the party has the highest-rated leader of all, scores better than the Conservatives on "in touch with people like me", and 34% would seriously consider voting for it.
  • Options
    Mr. Tokyo, it was weasellier than the harem of the Lord High Weasel during the orgy to celebrate Weaselmas.

It was deceit, plain and simple.
  • Options

Socrates said:

Socrates said:

Again keep on denying the polling and all the other evidence.

You're making my case far stronger than I ever could.
    I'm not denying any polling. I'm just saying it's less important in the assessment of a party than not investigating tens of thousands of child rapes for, at best, no explicable reason and, at worst, a desire to treat Asian suspects differently to white ones. You know full well that if tens of thousands of Asian kids had been raped by gangs of white men, there would be a huge government response to it.
  • Options

Looks like it was a seat held, compared to the results in 2014? Last night's result, with changes on May 2014, was:

Liberal Democrat 36% (-7)
    Labour 31% (+1)
    Conservative 24% (+8)
    Green 9% (-2)
    Turns out it isn't in Huppert's seat.
    Yes it's in Lansley's constituency but it's still encouraging for Huppert since the neighbouring wards like Trumpington are likely to vote pretty much the same as Queen Edith's.
  • Options
    Populus @PopulusPolls

Latest Populus VI: Lab 35 (-1), Con 33 (-1), LD 9 (+1), UKIP 13 (=), Oth 9 (=). Tables here: http://popu.lu/s_vi141114
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, is it me, or are the Lib Dems very slightly improving? Not with that poll alone, but generally.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

AndyJS said:
    I was in Italy recently and there's a very big social dislike there of British/American students going there and going wild. In the cases of female students, that often combines with a misogyny where they're considered sluts that sleep around and then regret it later. Such prejudices come out particularly strongly in some of these cases. I don't yet know this case well enough to assess the facts accurately, but I don't exactly have faith in the Italian justice system, given its evident corruption over the years, and it's appalling that Theresa May has wiped away this suspect's traditional British protections.
  • Options
    NormNorm Posts: 1,251

Pulpstar said:

TGOHF said:

I second that emotion

Yougov

TORIES 35% (29%)
    LABOUR 33% (37%)
    UKIP 12% (20%)
    LIBDEMS 9% (6%)
    GREENS 7% (4%)
    SNP / PC 4% (4%)

The biggest change over the last 40 years has been the sheer number of AB & C1s switching from Tory to Labour. I recall an episode of Rumpole of the Bailey many years ago when a very posh lawyer was asked which party he would be standing for in the election and when he replied "Labour naturally" this was an unusual enough TV moment to be remarked on the following day.
  • Options
    Me and the other 146 people who live in my flat will be voting Labour.
    isam said:

Plato said:

Yup.

CD13 said:

#OneNation
  • Options
    Socrates said:

TGOHF said:

Sean_F said:

TGOHF said:

Maybe knock off 3 points that would have gone to the Lib Dems and add 10 points from UKIP. I'd guess around 40%?
    High thirties, anyway.
  • Options

Mr. Eagles, is it me, or are the Lib Dems very slightly improving? Not with that poll alone, but generally.

They're improving a bit compared to the 6 and 7%s they've been getting recently. They're back to where they were about 6 months ago.
  • Options

Populus @PopulusPolls

Latest Populus VI: Lab 35 (-1), Con 33 (-1), LD 9 (+1), UKIP 13 (=), Oth 9 (=). Tables here: http://popu.lu/s_vi141114

Con/Lab/LD all too high, UKIP too low.
  • Options
    PAWPAW Posts: 1,074
    Surely the thing to do is request extradition of the Italian involved, if that is refused it gives a card to May.
  • Options
    PAWPAW Posts: 1,074
    I see Cameron is warming up the Russians.
  • Options
    Norm said:

Pulpstar said:

TGOHF said:

I second that emotion

Yougov

TORIES 35% (29%)
    LABOUR 33% (37%)
    UKIP 12% (20%)
    LIBDEMS 9% (6%)
    GREENS 7% (4%)
    SNP / PC 4% (4%)

The biggest change over the last 40 years has been the sheer number of AB & C1s switching from Tory to Labour. I recall an episode of Rumpole of the Bailey many years ago when a very posh lawyer was asked which party he would be standing for in the election and when he replied "Labour naturally" this was an unusual enough TV moment to be remarked on the following day.
    There's a gulf in middle class attitudes now between somewhere like Hertsmere and Inner London.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,369
    malcolmg said:

Early days admittedly - Mr M has lots of MPs and possibly party members behind him, to be fair. But the Glasgow shipyards closure story is something to watch given the much wider importance of keeping west-central Scotland on side for Mr Miliband and his crew.

Since the RN ran the order *cancellation flag, or rather the jack, up the jackstaff, the usual Labour suspects have gone very quiet indeed at the thought of this novel dividend of remaining in the Union, despite their very loud noises on this very topic at the time of indyref and indeed in at least one case the threat to close them in the event of a Yes vote.

Whose idea it is, I am not sure, and it could always be another MoD messup like the proposal to annexe Faslane and Coulport to EWNI. But it's not as if the Tories have any MPs to lose on Clydeside, whereas Labour do ...

*Technically, failure to complete the order beyond the initial design work. But the way it was being talked up in indyref, practically the same thing.

• Options
    NormNorm Posts: 1,251

Populus @PopulusPolls

Populus seem to be currently the best polling organisation for Labour (and the worst for Ukip)
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    ''it's appalling that Theresa May has wiped away this suspect's traditional British protections.''

Theresa May is the epitome of the 'anything to stay in office' modern politician. Zero conviction. Zero core beliefs.

• Options
    edited November 2014
    MaxPB said:

Isn't the place economically benefitting from having had so much more immigration than the rest of the country?
  • Options
    On election night 2010 / next morning, Labour were heading for 29% in GB until East Ham came in. The Labour vote was so massive at 35,471 that it pushed them up to 30% when rounding to the nearest whole per cent.
This discussion has been closed.