Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » If there’s no referendum on the Osborne plan for an elected

Comments

• Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    AndyJS said:

The country is fragmenting into different sects. Within 10 to 15 years one party winning as much as 30% will be regarded as a great achievement.

Will it fragment into distinct geographical areas too? (Which is the important thing in FPTP).
    And how long will it last?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_federal_election,_1993

Back then Canada broke into 3 distinct geographical pieces and 4 electoral sects.
    It took till 2011 to glue it back together.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,284
    AndyJS said:

Pleased that I happened to lay £25 on Labour winning a majority just before this poll came out.

Thats a good move, my latest moves on Betfair were -245/100 Lab Majority, -40/50ish on the most seats.

Labour Most seats, Con Most votes is what I really want though I think seats will be on a knife edge.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 26,233
    taffys said:

Is there any possibility at all of a UKIP/conservative coalition?

A confidence and supply agreement maybe. I think it would be a mistake for UKIP to enter into having collective cabinet responsibility with a Conservative Government.

• Options
    I forgot the breakaway region of Somaliland! Apparently they have Somali, Arabic and English as official languages...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Somaliland
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    taffys said:

Even with 3 Kipper seats the odds of the arithmetic adding up would be tiny.

LD/Con continuity coalition most likely surely.
  • Options

Ladbrokes GE market

Most votes Con 8/15 Lab 13/8

And Lab maj now 11/4
    We will see 3-1 before long.
  • Options
    taffys said:

Not really, UKIP needs to win at least 50 non-Tory seats to make it happen, to balance the 50-70 Tory losses to Labour.
    Or in plain english, the Tories need UKIP to win a seat from LAB/LD for every seat lost by the Tories to Labour.
  • Options
    JonnyJimmyJonnyJimmy Posts: 2,548

MikeK said:

Oooh-ah! Revolt on the Right continues apace:

http://conservativewoman.co.uk/camerons-tories-are-no-different-to-labour/

Words that are balm to kippers.

You know the author of that piece is a 9/11 "truther"?
    A) Only an utter ignoramus would dismiss someone's opinion based on another, totally unrelated opinion that they hold.

B) I am a 9/11 'truther' -or to put it more accurately, of the two conspiracy theories that are used to explain the events of 9-11 (since it was by definition a conspiracy), I believe the version adhered to by our Government and broadcast media to be the less credible. Since it isn't a topic that is regularly discussed here, I don't discuss it. Happy to explain why, but alternatively do go on using thoughtless smears in a rather desperate attempt to discredit your political opponents.
    Before I quote a random punter from the internet, I like to do a little research on them first.

I wouldn't, for example, quote a holocaust denier when their other views matched mine.

A lot of the "9/11 truthers" (a term I didn't know until I looked at that poster's disqus history) believe that it was part of a Zionist conspiracy. I don't know that "Earthernware" believes that, but given MikeK's posting history I thought he may be put off by that kind of possible association.

But I must be an utter ignoramus. Because you say so.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

taffys said:

UKIP will win more than 3.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

taffys said:

The coalition will lose around 90 seats to Labour, the SNP and UKIP, there is no chance of it continuing.
  • Options
    @Sunil

"And yet they legalised Cannabis after I left! "

Did they actually wait for you to leave, or was it just coincidence?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,418
    Speedy said:

TGOHF said:

taffys said:

The coalition will lose around 90 seats to Labour, the SNP and UKIP, there is no chance of it continuing.
    Lab with LD C&S
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    edited November 2014
    Speedy said:

TGOHF said:

taffys said:

How many seats will the Coalition lose to the SNP?!!! And the SNP gain from Labour?
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

The country is fragmenting into different sects. Within 10 to 15 years one party winning as much as 30% will be regarded as a great achievement.

The BJP won the FPTP Indian Election with only 31% of the vote (but they won 282 of 545 seats).
  • Options

Speedy said:

TGOHF said:

taffys said:

How many seats will the Coalition lose to the SNP?!!!
    A few LibDem ones?
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 26,233

MikeK said:

A) Only an utter ignoramus would dismiss someone's opinion based on another, totally unrelated opinion that they hold.

B) I am a 9/11 'truther' -or to put it more accurately, of the two conspiracy theories that are used to explain the events of 9-11 (since it was by definition a conspiracy), I believe the version adhered to by our Government and broadcast media to be the less credible. Since it isn't a topic that is regularly discussed here, I don't discuss it. Happy to explain why, but alternatively do go on using thoughtless smears in a rather desperate attempt to discredit your political opponents.
    Before I quote a random punter from the internet, I like to do a little research on them first.

I wouldn't, for example, quote a holocaust denier when their other views matched mine.

A lot of the "9/11 truthers" (a term I didn't know until I looked at that poster's disqus history) believe that it was part of a Zionist conspiracy. I don't know that "Earthernware" believes that, but given MikeK's posting history I thought he may be put off by that kind of possible association.

The fact that you were trying to one up him somehow based on what I assume to be his Jewish heritage doesn't make it any better in my opinion.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    The Scottish subsamples (Populus/Ashcroft in aggregate) fully back up IPSOS/Yougov's findings by the way - Labour is facing disaster up there, and the only thing that might make them look good on the day are the Lib Dems.
  • Options
    Dadge - Wigan is already part of the Greater Manchester Combined Authority
  • Options
    Speedy said:

TGOHF said:

taffys said:

Not if Labour score sub 30 - like today's poll.

• Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    If you want a good laugh at LA's polling - have a look at the relative voting intentions in Northern England (Labour strongholds remember) and the Midlands (Swing seats)

Once you've finished laughing . . .

Have a look at the Question on Table 5.
  • Options

@Sunil

"And yet they legalised Cannabis after I left! "

Did they actually wait for you to leave, or was it just coincidence?

I'm sure it's not because I left. Though I'm certain "medicinal" use was already permitted judging by the aroma outside certain shops in downtown Boulder...
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322

MikeK said:

What do you think most likely happened on 9/11?
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    TGOHF said:

taffys said:

Tory-SNP: Tories get EVEL, SNP get DEVOMAX Labiour get SFA. What is there not to like about it?
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    'Not if Labour score sub 30 - like today's poll.'

add in that Labour tends recently to turn out lower than its poll score would suggest....
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    edited November 2014

Crossover/Labour slump to their lowest ever figure with @LordAshcroft

Con 30 (-1) Lab 29 (-2) LD 10 (+3) UKIP 16 (-2) Greens 6 (+1)

ENP 4.7

That's bigger than several countries' which operate under PR...
  • Options

I can do a bar chart on that if you want? :)
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    I think currently the most likely outcome in the next election is a 3 party coalition with Labour as largest party, and since almost all betting companies offer only 2 party coalition options, with only Winner and TitanBet covering the "Other" next government option with 80/1, and that might be the tip of the decade.
  • Options
    edited November 2014

Speedy said:

TGOHF said:

taffys said:

How many seats will the Coalition lose to the SNP?!!! And the SNP gain from Labour?
    Inverness, Caithness, Gordon, North East Fife, Edinburgh West, Argyll & Bute, West Aberdeenshire and Kincardine on these figures.

SNP should gain around a similiar number to Labour.

But SNP gains from Labour don't affect the arithmetic of a Con-LD coalition majority.

The post election manouvreings could be even more fascinating than the election itself - I can see the "Next Gov't" market not being settled for a fair while after the GE... lots of possibilities may well be possible.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

I think currently the most likely outcome in the next election is a 3 party coalition with Labour as largest party, and since almost betting companies offer only 2 party coalition options with only Winner and TitanBet covering the "Other" next government option with 80/1, and that might be the tip of the decade.

Which polling trend leads you to this wondrous Labour achievement ?
  • Options
    The Conservatives are still longer than evens for most seats
  • Options
    Mr. Speedy, maybe.

If the Lib Dems lost 30, that'd mean the Conservatives losing 60. Obviously Scottish losses for the blues wouldn't be huge, which leaves (mostly) UKIP in the South and Labour in the North. Twenty or so seems at the top end of UKIP's forecast gains. Can we see Labour winning 40 odd seats straight from the blues?

Miliband really isn't well thought of, but only a tiny swing is needed in many seats.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    RodCrosby said:

ENP 4.7

Germany being the most obvious example.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Speedy said:

TGOHF said:

taffys said:

Oh yes if the Tories also score sub 30.
  • Options

Dadge - Wigan is already part of the Greater Manchester Combined Authority

The Combine??

Sounds like something from video game Half Life 2 :)
  • Options
    Financier said:

More from Lord A:

"While 62% of Tory voters said they expected to be better off with a Conservative government, only 44% of Labour voters thought their prospects would be better with their own party in charge. A majority of Labour voters (55%) thought it would make no difference to their own prosperity which party was in office."

3% of Tories believe they would be better off under Labour, while 1% of Labour voters believe they would be better off under the Tories.

That Tory voters overall are generally more focused on their own interests should surprise no-one.

• Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,600
    29%! Thank God Ed's got his intellectual self-confidence to fall back on, anyone less brilliant than he would be starting to get a bit worried.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

TGOHF said:

Speedy said:

TGOHF said:

taffys said:

I'd say you would get good odds on the Cons scoring sub 30 in the GE - you should fill yer boots.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

There is a rising chance that no party will score more than 30% in the next election.
    Net change Con:Lab = 1, Net change LD:UKIP = 5
  • Options
    Where's your firewall gone?

Where's your firewall gone now?
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @PeteWishart: How low in the opinion polls do UK Labour have to fall before they look at the bleedin obvious - the Ed problem?
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited November 2014

Financier said:

More from Lord A:

"While 62% of Tory voters said they expected to be better off with a Conservative government, only 44% of Labour voters thought their prospects would be better with their own party in charge. A majority of Labour voters (55%) thought it would make no difference to their own prosperity which party was in office."

3% of Tories believe they would be better off under Labour, while 1% of Labour voters believe they would be better off under the Tories.

That Tory voters overall are generally more focused on their own interests should surprise no-one.

What a nasty way of looking at it. You are showing your prejudice again.

Wanting the country (which includes oneself) to be better off is hardly being focused on one's own interests. What the figures show is simply that Conservative supporters are more realistic about the damage Labour does to the economy, or, to put it another way, 55% of Labour voters are kidding themselves that the choice of government makes no difference. If they think that, then I suppose it is logical enough that they think it's safe to vote Labour.
  • Options

MikeK said:

The fact that you were trying to one up him somehow based on what I assume to be his Jewish heritage doesn't make it any better in my opinion.
    I haven't tried to "one up" him. I pointed it out because, as I said, I thought he may prefer not to promote the views of someone who may believe in Zionist conspiracies.
  • Options
    edited November 2014

Mr. Speedy, maybe.

If the Lib Dems lost 30, that'd mean the Conservatives losing 60. Obviously Scottish losses for the blues wouldn't be huge, which leaves (mostly) UKIP in the South and Labour in the North. Twenty or so seems at the top end of UKIP's forecast gains. Can we see Labour winning 40 odd seats straight from the blues?

Miliband really isn't well thought of, but only a tiny swing is needed in many seats.

Lord A's constituency polls still haven't found the upper boundary of Labour seat gains from the Tories.
    So far he has found 29 Labour gains from the Tories and he's still going up the ladder on the swings needed.
  • Options
    A lot more discussion of the Ashcroft poll than of the earlier Populus one I see :-)
  • Options
    Labour's slump really escalated after Ed's speech.

Fortunately labour will be able to hide him during six week election campaign.

Oh.
  • Options

A lot more discussion of the Ashcroft poll than of the earlier Populus one I see :-)

Ashcroft is the Gold Standard.
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,887
    The Conservatives and Lib Dems combined are currently on a majority of only 33. Take 20 off the Lib Dems and you have a coalition just about able to pass votes and that's reliant on the Conservatives not losing any to Labour. Hence I think we could be heading for three party coalitions:
    Con + LD + DUP or
    Lab + LD + SNP

Which is obviously ridiculous.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 24,425

Financier said:

More from Lord A:

I never get that.

Tories = people who vote to control their own money in their own interests

Labour = people who vote to control other people's money in their own interests

Seems to me both want money spent the way they'd like to see it. Strip out the himbug and what's different ?
  • Options

Your time may be better spent on a bar chart showing Sunil Winning Here in the race to be Emperor. If the chart's good enough you might even pull before it's official!
  • Options

MikeK said:

It's not smearing someone to take into account their views on one subject when assessing their views on another.
    Someone who believes in Fairies, on that the Earth is flat or that the CIA are behind 9/11 is bound to lose a bit of credibility.
  • Options

Labour 1% off of their low point since the dawn of time*

*GE2010

Was it ?

We can chat about Populus if you like and their severe UKIP weighting and also the fact that they have Lab-Con combined on far too high a % if you like.

There is no real comfort in the Populus for Labour.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,411
    Good LibDem poll - the sample didn't actually find that many but it's upweighted from the ones it found since it couldn't find enough people who said they'd voted LibDem (and down-weighted Labour for the opposite reason). Fieldwork is over the last four days, so actually predates Populus, which didn't show a LibDem upswing. All one can safely say is that the two big parties are more or less tied.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Artist said:

The Conservatives and Lib Dems combined are currently on a majority of only 33. Take 20 off the Lib Dems and you have a coalition just about able to pass votes and that's reliant on the Conservatives not losing any to Labour. Hence I think we could be heading for three party coalitions:
    Con + LD + DUP or
    Lab + LD + SNP

As I've been saying for a long time, the risk of there being no viable government on May 8th is quite high, and one should arrange one's affairs, as much as possible, to protect against that eventuality.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 50,079
    edited November 2014
    I dunno, I make Con and Lab each on 30% looking at Lord Ashcroft's tables. But Con are ahead ever so slightly!

Using the ICM style 50% don't know/refused added to their 2010 vote (with rounding up), I make it

Con 29.73
    Lab 29.55
    UKIP 16.10
    LD 9.66
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Speedy said:

TGOHF said:

Speedy said:

TGOHF said:

taffys said:

I'd say you would get good odds on the Cons scoring sub 30 in the GE - you should fill yer boots.
    The Tories had many polls scoring them under 30, even now their average is 31.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

RodCrosby said:

ENP 4.7

Germany being the most obvious example.
    And bigger than the fragmentation in the UK devolved assembly elections, held under PR...
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Mr. Speedy, maybe.

Lord A's constituency polls still haven't found the upper boundary of Labour seat gains from the Tories.
    So far he has found 29 Labour gains from the Tories and he's still going up the ladder on the swings needed.
    Labour's vote efficiency in England and Wales will probably increase even further with the damage UKIP are going to do to the Cons in the SE and E.

Of course in Scotland it could fall off a cliff... There's a reason the Most Seats and most votes markets are so far apart however.
  • Options

Your time may be better spent on a bar chart showing Sunil Winning Here in the race to be Emperor. If the chart's good enough you might even pull before it's official!
    Minister-Emperor! There is an elected Imperial Senate!
  • Options
    Dr. Prasannan, Minister-Emperor is a bloody awful title.
  • Options
    On that Ashcroft poll with UNS, Labour would be 15 short of a majority. If we say they lose another 15 in Scotland to the SNP, they'll be 30 short. The Lib Dems will be getting around 30 themselves, which means a Lib-Lab Coalition would have an incredibly unstable majority. A Lab-SNP, and adding PC wouldn't help. Looks like Lib-Lab-SNP would be needed.
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664

MikeK said:

It's not smearing someone to take into account their views on one subject when assessing their views on another.
    Someone who believes in Fairies, on that the Earth is flat or that the CIA are behind 9/11 is bound to lose a bit of credibility.
    Steven Jones, the truthers' poster-boy Real Scientist, has proved to his own satisfaction from the archaeological evidence that Jesus Christ spent some time in Central America.

• Options
    Artist said:

Con + LD + DUP or
    Lab + LD + SNP

What can you do?
    If Scotland votes SNP, the North votes Labour, the East votes UKIP and the South votes Tory, you are bound to have a 3 party coalition.
  • Options
    Socrates said:

On that Ashcroft poll with UNS, Labour would be 15 short of a majority. If we say they lose another 15 in Scotland to the SNP, they'll be 30 short. The Lib Dems will be getting around 30 themselves, which means a Lib-Lab Coalition would have an incredibly unstable majority. A Lab-SNP, and adding PC wouldn't help. Looks like Lib-Lab-SNP would be needed.

Lib-Lab coalition with Confidence and Supply from the SNP in exchange for Scottish goodies and devomax.
  • Options

Dr. Prasannan, Minister-Emperor is a bloody awful title.

Better than Minister-President surely, Mr Dancer (though I suppose during Cromwell's Commonwealth time-frame it might have been relevant).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minister-President
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,667

I forgot the breakaway region of Somaliland! Apparently they have Somali, Arabic and English as official languages...

I have been to Hargeisa - and confirm this to be true...
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Labour 1% off of their low point since the dawn of time*

*GE2010

Was it ?

We can chat about Populus if you like and their severe UKIP weighting and also the fact that they have Lab-Con combined on far too high a % if you like.

There is no real comfort in the Populus for Labour.

There is no comfort for any of our traditional big three national parties in any polls right now.

• Options
    Pulpstar - that is a wonderful point and probably true, but it is still hard not to see the widely availble 2.2 on Tory Most Seats as outstanding value. Or maybe the Scout has won his Mug Punter badge?
  • Options

Right, they're in the new expanded Commonwealth then :)
  • Options

Artist said:

Con + LD + DUP or
    Lab + LD + SNP

As I've been saying for a long time, the risk of there being no viable government on May 8th is quite high, and one should arrange one's affairs, as much as possible, to protect against that eventuality.
    Supposing SNP do as well as suggested and enter into S&C with someone...

Given their self-denying ordinance on voting on English matters, will any government's writ run in England?
  • Options
    sarissasarissa Posts: 1,860
    Speedy said:

There is a rising chance that no party will score more than 30% in the next election.
    Except the SNP in the seats they contest.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,191
    edited November 2014
    AndyJS said:

Maybe, but I think we live in an unusual "anti-politics" era and it's also a reflection of going through the greatest economic disaster for a century.

What I suspect will happen as a result of all this is that there will be a "realignment" followed by a return to majority governments but the parties (Lab, Con and Lib) won't be the same as we know them today.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Pulpstar said:

Socrates said:

Lib-Lab coalition with Confidence and Supply from the SNP in exchange for Scottish goodies and devomax.
    An Ed Miliband-led Lib-Lab Coalition having to make huge spending cuts, while giving goodies out to the Scots, refusing to back English devolution and continuing mass immigration. That's a recipe for the collapse of Labour and a UKIP surge.
  • Options

Financier said:

More from Lord A:

What a nasty way of looking at it. You are showing your prejudice again.

Wanting the country (which includes oneself) to be better off is hardly being focused on one's own interests. What the figures show is simply that Conservative supporters are more realistic about the damage Labour does to the economy, or, to put it another way, 55% of Labour voters are kidding themselves that the choice of government makes no difference. If they think that, then I suppose it is logical enough that they think it's safe to vote Labour.

I knew Mr Nabavi would bite!!!!!!

As ever Richard, I wish I could be as unprejudiced and objective as you. But I guess that only Tories can be that way!!!!!!

• Options

Good LibDem poll - the sample didn't actually find that many but it's upweighted from the ones it found since it couldn't find enough people who said they'd voted LibDem (and down-weighted Labour for the opposite reason). Fieldwork is over the last four days, so actually predates Populus, which didn't show a LibDem upswing. All one can safely say is that the two big parties are more or less tied.

It was recently found that a significant number of people said they voted UKIP at the last election when there was no UKIP candidate standing in the constituency.

So some people will say that the last time they voted they voted what they now think, and they now think UKIP. It's some type of false self justification that they were right.

The same could apply to the Lib Dems, except in reverse so that some people are now in denial that they voted Lib Dem last time.

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

Well, quite.

It doesn't add up. This is a government which is going to have to make further major cuts in public spending. Even if the arrangement you describe could be agreed (and I imagine the LibDems would be distinctly unkeen), the chances of it being able to actually do anything, with rebels from three parties pulling in various directions, must be close to zero. Meanwhile UKIP and the Conservatives would be squabbling on the right, making it hard to put together an alternative. We could be in for a very rough time indeed.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,128
    Speedy said:

Mr. Speedy, maybe.

All of the marginal polls were taken much earlier when Labour had bigger national leads. You are forgetting the golden rule - polls are snapshots and not forecasts.
  • Options
    Ladbrokes have all the Scottish seats back up now. There have been some big price moves.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    weejonnie said:

Tory-SNP: Tories get EVEL, SNP get DEVOMAX L

Backed by Plaid, NI and UKIP.

Even Welsh Labour would be tempted.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Well, quite.

It doesn't add up. This is a government which is going to have to make further major cuts in public spending. Even if the arrangement you describe could be agreed (and I imagine the LibDems would be distinctly unkeen), the chances of it being able to actually do anything, with rebels from three parties pulling in various directions, must be close to zero. Meanwhile UKIP and the Conservatives would be squabbling on the right, making it hard to put together an alternative. We could be in for a very rough time indeed.
    If the Tories elect a leader that supports leaving the EU for an FTA, and cutting immigration, a UKIP-Tory alliance could easily be done, and they would destroy the left at the following election.
  • Options

As ever Richard, I wish I could be as unprejudiced and objective as you. But I guess that only Tories can be that way!!!!!!

Not at all. I simply object, as ever, to your attributing personal motives of selfishness to people who hold honest views about the best way forward for the country.
  • Options

Artist said:

Con + LD + DUP or
    Lab + LD + SNP

In what way should I arrange my affairs to protect against a three party coalition? Move abroad to a dictatorship?
  • Options
    How many rings will Nigel and Alex run round Ed and Dave on May 6th ?

And who knows with Nick !
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @screwlabour: Lolsies, @UKLabour. Chin up, Beaker will see you through. http://t.co/ehpB959eLV
  • Options
    Ishmael_X said:

MikeK said:

Steven Jones, the truthers' poster-boy Real Scientist, has proved to his own satisfaction from the archaeological evidence that Jesus Christ spent some time in Central America.

Well everybody is entitled to their own opinion.
    ... and did those feet in ancient time? Another QTWTAIN.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,667

Right, they're in the new expanded Commonwealth then :)
    Just don't tell Somalia - they get a bit touchy about Somaliland!

• Options
    Even though the SNP is more predisposed to c&s with Labour than Conservatives I'd imagine, and similiarly UKIP with Cons over Labour I can see UKIP working with Labour and the SNP working with the Cons in c&s agreements.
  • Options
    Socrates said:

If the Tories elect a leader that supports leaving the EU for an FTA, and cutting immigration, a UKIP-Tory alliance could easily be done, and they would destroy the left at the following election.

I shall be betting on Labour for win 2020 in such a scenario, no matter how unpopular and disastrous they are. There is zero chance of a UKIP/Conservative agreement, not least because UKIP don't want one and indeed seem to have as their principal (perhaps only) objective damaging the Conservative Party. We could well be in for a decade or more of rule by an unpopular Labour government, and all the attendant damage that will do.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118

AndyJS said:

I find it astonishing that the 16 year old who has just been jailed for life with a 20 year recommendation for the murder of schoolteacher Ann Maguire hasn't been named:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-29879865

He's been named just now

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/nov/03/ann-maguire-killer-named-will-cornick-judge-lifts-reporting-restrictions
    What price Cannabis user/anti depressant taker?
  • Options
    Teacher-killer named and photo released...
  • Options
    felix said:

Speedy said:

Mr. Speedy, maybe.

All of the marginal polls were taken much earlier when Labour had bigger national leads. You are forgetting the golden rule - polls are snapshots and not forecasts.
    Aren't polls which adjust the current choice for how people voted last time forecasts rather than snapshots?
  • Options
    edited November 2014

In what way should I arrange my affairs to protect against a three party coalition? Move abroad to a dictatorship?

Move your pension out of UK-focused shares, for a start. UK-listed companies which get most of their income abroad, denominated in foreign currencies, should be fine though.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 93,627
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-29885985

Three Police Federation officers are to be investigated by the Independent Police Complaints Commission over their role in the "Plebgate" affair.

Not before time
  • Options

Not at all. I simply object, as ever, to your attributing personal motives of selfishness to people who hold honest views about the best way forward for the country.

Funnily enough, you never seem to object when supporters of other parties are said to vote for personal motives of selfishness. Or is it just that they don't hold honest views?

• Options
    isam said:

AndyJS said:

I find it astonishing that the 16 year old who has just been jailed for life with a 20 year recommendation for the murder of schoolteacher Ann Maguire hasn't been named:

He's been named just now

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/nov/03/ann-maguire-killer-named-will-cornick-judge-lifts-reporting-restrictions
    Probably very high THC % skunk.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,128

felix said:

Speedy said:

Mr. Speedy, maybe.

Aren't polls which adjust the current choice for how people voted last time forecasts rather than snapshots?
    No - it was Ashcroft who said it on twitter I believe.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 50,079
    edited November 2014

So, we have the Tories polling at a Major-esque %-age?

Remember, Ashcroft says both Tories and Labour sub-30%!

Con 29.73
    Lab 29.55
  • Options

Move your pension out of UK-focused shares, for a start. UK-listed companies which get most of their income abroad, denominated in foreign currencies, should be fine though.
    Under the current coalition the FTSE 100 has increased from just over 5000 to just under 6500. This is not evidence that UK coalitions are bad for UK shares.
  • Options
    MonkeysMonkeys Posts: 755
    edited November 2014
    TGOHF said:

isam said:

AndyJS said:

He's been named just now

Probably very high THC % skunk.
    "On the day of the murder Cornick took knives to school and a bottle of Jack Daniel’s whiskey to “celebrate afterwards”."
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,749
    Scott_P said:

@carldinnen: Breaking; Police Complaints Commission to investigate 3 Police Federation officers who met Andrew Mitchell.

INTERVIEW, A. MITCHELL MP, PADDINGTON GREEN, D.I. JOLLY ATTENDING
    "Nice bicycle you have there, sir. Be a pity if somebody set fire to it, now wouldn't it? Family man, sir? Such lovely daughters, and such good schools. You don't know what worry is until you have children, isn't that right sir? Such a world, such a world... Still, let's not dwell on what might happen, yeah? They'll be perfectly alright. Probably... Now. about these "remarks" you claim my colleague said to you...hard-of-hearing, are you? Nobody would blame you for mishearing somebody, particularly if you were preoccupied with somebody menacing your family, god forbid..."

• Options

So, we have the Tories polling at a Major-esque %-age?
    We have the SNP-Green surge right now.

One must feel a bit sorry for Plaid Cymru - they seem to have gone nowhere unlike the other slumpers and surgers in this parliament.

Are they projected to lose or win a seat ?

I think their problem is that basically whereas Scotland is probably a semi-viable independent entity, Wales full well knows it could never ever survive on it's own.
This discussion has been closed.