Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » If the Tories get a good turnout in the Rochester all posta

Comments

• Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    FalseFlag said:

PSNB ex was £11.8 billion in September 2014, an increase of £1.6 billion compared with September 2013.

Substantial fiscal consolidation required for the next government.
    given that we are all self employed now - wont January's tax returns be the crucial month ?

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,034
    South African legal experts say Pistorius must serve at least one-sixth of his sentence before being considered for house arrest. On a five-year sentence, that would be around 10 months.

So 10 months jail and then 50 months at his uncle's house.

Perhaps he can play some internet chess with Mr Assange ?
  • Options
    FalseFlagFalseFlag Posts: 1,801
    TGOHF said:

FalseFlag said:

PSNB ex was £11.8 billion in September 2014, an increase of £1.6 billion compared with September 2013.

given that we are all self employed now - wont January's tax returns be the crucial month ?

We will see then how good these self employed jobs are!
  • Options
    #OscarPistorius has to serve 8 months in prison and could then be eligible to correctional supervision.This could be based on good behaviour

So 5 years becomes 10 months, and 10 months becomes 8...
  • Options
    Latest RocStroo prices on betfair

Calypso Kippers 1.35
    Con 3.85
    Lab 50

• Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Pulpstar said:

South African legal experts say Pistorius must serve at least one-sixth of his sentence before being considered for house arrest. On a five-year sentence, that would be around 10 months.

This is the outcome of what I call Rich Man/Celebrity - Poor Man/Nonentity laws. In other words money speaks - it always has - but not so blatantly as in this Pistorius case.
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746

Disappointing PSBR numbers... again....

There's a direct connection between that, and the record high immigration mentioned by Pulpster. Immigrants are subsidised by the taxpayer.

http://www.migrationwatchuk.org/briefing-paper/1.37

http://www.migrationwatchuk.org/press-release/385

• Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    Odd piece on ex EDL guy Tommy Robinson.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-29690823

Being recalled to prison, just before he was to speak at Oxford Union. May just be a coincidence.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    isam said:

From my top of the head calculations, totnes returns were 77% of the Tory vote and gosport was 55%

A decent guess at the turnout in the by election is needed I think... If we assume 50% then a 15-20% return of primaries woul almost make this a certain conservative win I think... May have mucked this up though...

If 15% of primaries are returned, and they are 75% of the Tory vote, turnout is 50%...

That would put the Tories on 40% of the vote wouldn't it? Which means they'll win

And that's a low end

I think if 15% are returned ukip should worry

Interesting analysis which I broadly agree.

• Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053

isam said:

From my top of the head calculations, totnes returns were 77% of the Tory vote and gosport was 55%

A decent guess at the turnout in the by election is needed I think... If we assume 50% then a 15-20% return of primaries woul almost make this a certain conservative win I think... May have mucked this up though...

If 15% of primaries are returned, and they are 75% of the Tory vote, turnout is 50%...

That would put the Tories on 40% of the vote wouldn't it? Which means they'll win

And that's a low end

Too much calculation and not enough emotion and heart, into this sum, methinks.
  • Options
    Socrates said:

Mr Clarke said a section of the population was "bigoted and anti-foreigners" and that some politicians "arouse prejudice", but: "Most people, particularly young people, understand that we're in a global economy, you get used to people who don't speak your language, and you do meet people who are foreign."
    What a scumbag Ken Clarke is, doing the whole "if you have an issue with immigration you are a bigot" nonsense. Presumably he met a fair few people who were foreign when he was trying to sell addictive health-damaging products to the world's poorest?

Agreed. He is a one man vote killer. UKIPs best advocate.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,079

isam said:

And that's a low end

Cheers good to know!

Are the primary returns anonymous? And who would know , everyone or just the conservatives?

If there is a way of knowing who has voted then that also acts as a massive help to know where to canvass etc
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Charles said:

The time has come to split the executive and legislature.

No, I don't like the daft grandstanding that brings when the executive and legislature are in conflict that you see in other countries, such as the US. With our system it's much clearer, because if the Executive does not have the Confidence of the legislature then it falls.

What I would do is to limit the number of Executive appointments that could be made, so that MPs with government jobs become a smaller proportion of the legislature.
    You need to create a proper, paid career structure for non-executive legislators and ensure that members of the executive can be appointed from outside the house as well - there are lots of people who would make good ministers who don't have the time or energy to be politicians.

As for a crude limitation on numbers, there is already a limit (?90 something) of paid ministerial posts. Which is why the payroll vote was extended with the creation of the PPS
  • Options
    FalseFlag said:

TGOHF said:

FalseFlag said:

Not to worry - we haven't paid our corporation tax bill yet...
  • Options

There's a direct connection between that, and the record high immigration mentioned by Pulpster. Immigrants are subsidised by the taxpayer.

Big lie technique to claim immigration benefits the people of this country, if anything I suspect those figures still underestimate the cost.

Of course Ukip can cut spending and taxes, by tackling immigration.

• Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,916
    "The government's current fiscal problems largely reflect the fact that much weaker-than-expected earnings growth has limited income tax receipts, along with a large number of people now being in low-paid jobs or self-employed."
  • Options
    BenMBenM Posts: 1,795

I said in August Osborne had seen the last of the "good news". His luck is running out - just at the wrong time too.

Such misfortune couldn't happen to a nicer bloke.
  • Options
    ItajaiItajai Posts: 721
    FalseFlag said:

http://consortiumnews.com/2014/10/20/germans-clear-russia-in-mh-17-case/

Would take the BND with a pinch of salt, but clearly saying the US and Kiev were lying, again. Of course the conversation between ATC and the pilots still not released. Best case scenario Kiev put the flight in harm's way and/or a military jet was using the plane as cover, BBC recorded eye witnesses saying they saw a military jet underneath.

The fact it´s disappeared from the media radar should tell you all you need to know. Is even Nuland whining on about MH17 any more?

Notice the head of Total died after a business trip to Moscow. So much for sanctions then.
  • Options
    Daily Mail Question of the day:

Why IS Amanda always so over-exposed? !
  • Options

FalseFlag said:

TGOHF said:

FalseFlag said:

Not to worry - we haven't paid our corporation tax bill yet...
    I've got another convert to our new One Nation pleasantly moist Tory Party
  • Options
    MikeK said:

Pulpstar said:

This is the outcome of what I call Rich Man/Celebrity - Poor Man/Nonentity laws. In other words money speaks - it always has - but not so blatantly as in this Pistorius case.
    OJ
  • Options
    dugarbandierdugarbandier Posts: 2,596
    MikeK said:

Pulpstar said:

It was a strange thing in the trial. there did seem to be quite a lot of focus on whether he knew that his girlfriend was in the toilet or not.

Seem to me like shooting someone with a high powered weapon with nasty ammunition looks like murder whether you knew their identity or not.

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193
    TGOHF said:

Calypso Kippers 1.35
    Con 3.85
    Lab 50

Labour 50-1 is the story. What has happened to the leftish vote in Kent?

I still can't figure out Labour giving up on a big swathe of turf that has recently been their own.

• Options
    NormNorm Posts: 1,251
    edited October 2014
    South African justice is more clearly more lenient than ours. I know of a fairly recent English court case where someone received 3.5 years prison for firing a rifle at an intruding vehicle on private land wounding someone via a ricochet off the ground . Here Pistorius pumped 4 bullets into a tiny toilet and someone died. 10 years with half inside sounds more appropriate even if you accept the original manslaughter verdict which is questionable in itself.
  • Options
    The interpretation of statistics, and policy recommendations put forward, by Migrationwatch suggests that its stance on immigration is not neutral. On the contrary the think-tank has clear aims to steer public opinion and government policy towards restricting inflow immigration. Moreover, many of Migrationwatch’s reports and briefing papers available on its website [http:/www.migrationwatch.com] seek to undermine, discredit and re-interpret any other independent or official research or statistics which favour immigration and highlight the positive aspects such as the economic and cultural contributions of immigration to Britain.

It is incredible people quote migration watch information as gospel
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    Income +3.1%
    Spending +5.4%

Given the 1% cap on increase to social security and pay in the public sector, and the continuing losses of jobs in the public sector, could someone explain why spending has risen so quickly? Is it all increase in debt interest, or has Osborne been quietly spending on something, despite protestation to the contrary?
  • Options
    FalseFlag said:

Big lie technique to claim immigration benefits the people of this country, if anything I suspect those figures still underestimate the cost.

Does immigration benefit the UK? Perhaps NPXMP et al could tell us why and how. And touchy feely concepts like "diversity" don´t count. Diversity for what?

Apart from the Somali curries and Afghan music scene of course.

We are told immigration is tax neutral. But then also told EU immigration is tax positive, where does that leave non-EU immigration. If this non-EU immigration also comprises a chunk of rich world bankers and City types, where does that leave Third World immigration. Yes, the one we are not allowed to talk about.
  • Options
    dugarbandierdugarbandier Posts: 2,596
    Itajai said:

FalseFlag said:

Does immigration benefit the UK? Perhaps NPXMP et al could tell us why and how. And touchy feely concepts like "diversity" don´t count. Diversity for what?

We are told immigration is tax neutral. But then also told EU immigration is tax positive, where does that leave non-EU immigration. If this non-EU immigration also comprises a chunk of rich world bankers and City types, where does that leave Third World immigration. Yes, the one we are not allowed to talk about.
    there are people on here talking about it all day every day.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,739
    Fenman said:

Can we really have a situatyion where Labour could win a GE with less than 30% of the vote? If this happened anywhere else in the world the UK government would be protesting about rigged elections! How long can this absurdity continue? How credible would such a government be?

Plus Fenman: Ken Clarke helpfully encouraging defections:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-29702449

Simple solution to both problems - PR.
  • Options
    Norm said:

South African justice is more clearly more lenient than ours. I know of a fairly recent English court case where someone received 3.5 years prison for firing a rifle at an intruding vehicle on private land wounding someone via a ricochet off the ground . Here Pistorius pumped 4 bullets into a tiny toilet and someone died. 10 years with half inside sounds more appropriate even if you accept the original manslaughter verdict which is questionable in itself.

Someone got sent down today for thought crime. Wonder if it~d happen in SA?

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/oct/20/man-jailed-antisemitic-tweet-labour-mp

Luckily we don´t have the 1st Amendment, or Vishinsky´s political commissars in the CPS would be out of a job.
  • Options
    Itajai said:

FalseFlag said:

I've never had a Somali curry or heard of an Afghan music scene. Can you point me in the right direction ?
  • Options
    This in today's Mail. Labour election campaign strategy holed below waterline?

"Kirsty Williams, the Liberal Democrats’ leader in Wales, said: ‘Labour’s running of the NHS in Wales is nothing short of a national scandal. If English voters want to see what a Labour health service will look under Ed Miliband they should look no further than Wales.’"

Ouch!
  • Options
    Paul_Mid_BedsPaul_Mid_Beds Posts: 1,409
    edited October 2014
    FPT

I see the BBC are on their outrage soap box over the stupid UKIP song. Its racist you know, because a white man sings like a black man....

When will the likes of the BBC learn that just trying to smear UKIP as racist at every opportunity
    wont work.

When will they realise that they are actually the ignorant racists. There are many white West Indians and oddly enough they speak with the same Caribbean accent as black West Indians.

Many are the descendents of Catholic Irish transported there by Cromwell. Known derogatively as "redlegs" they have historically suffered terrible discrimination.

• Options

"Kirsty Williams, the Liberal Democrats’ leader in Wales, said: ‘Labour’s running of the NHS in Wales is nothing short of a national scandal. If English voters want to see what a Labour health service will look under Ed Miliband they should look no further than Wales.’"

Ouch!

Kirsty WIlliams is talking cow dung.

A rebuttal with facts on the Tory (and Lib Dem) Welsh NHS nonsense is here:

http://wales.gov.uk/newsroom/healthandsocialcare/2014/141020daily-mail/?lang=en&&&&&&
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    Hong Kong has too many poor people to allow direct elections, leader says

http://qz.com/284352/hong-kong-has-too-many-poor-people-to-allow-direct-elections-leader-says/
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @BenM

'A rebuttal with facts on the Tory (and Lib Dem) Welsh NHS nonsense is here:'

Is the 8% NHS Wales budget cut by Labour also nonsense?

Are the numerous media reports of patients in Wales having to wait hours in ambulances before being admitted to hospital also nonsense?
  • Options

Income +3.1%
    Spending +5.4%

Given the 1% cap on increase to social security and pay in the public sector, and the continuing losses of jobs in the public sector, could someone explain why spending has risen so quickly? Is it all increase in debt interest, or has Osborne been quietly spending on something, despite protestation to the contrary?

To add to this, 5.4% is I think higher than the nominal rate of growth of GDP - so spending is growing as a % of GDP.

Nominal GDP growth ~ GDP growth in volume terms + inflation = 3.2% + 1.2% = 4.4%

Where does this fit into the "long-term economic plan"??
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    edited October 2014
    SeanT will be along shortly, to inform us that the Pistorius judge must read PB, as he'd previously suggested a sentence of 5 years etc
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Itajai said:

FalseFlag said:

I've never had a Somali curry or heard of an Afghan music scene. Can you point me in the right direction ?
    Was rather hoping you would.
    The food and music scene was brought up as an example of the benefits of immigration. Worryingly, by an otherwise sensible poster.
  • Options
    BenM said:

Ouch!

http://wales.gov.uk/newsroom/healthandsocialcare/2014/141020daily-mail/?lang=en&&&&&&
    Good facts in that response BenM. As per normal the Daily Mail peddling crap

I wonder if the Mail will print any of the response.

Or claim the Authors hate Britain
  • Options
    BenM said:

I said in August Osborne had seen the last of the "good news". His luck is running out - just at the wrong time too.

Such misfortune couldn't happen to a nicer bloke.
    I see last years PSNB has been revised down by £1.3Bn..plus the £15Bn they found down the back of the sofa last week.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Itajai said:

FalseFlag said:

The Afghan music scene under the Taliban was heavily influenced by John Cage's "Four minutes thirty-three seconds".

I may be the only poster here to have had a Somali curry. In Somalia. (Well, actually Somaliland, but Somalia still considers it to be part of Somalia.) It was nowhere near as hot as Ethiopian curry, which is the hottest thing I have ever had in my mouth, apart from (SELF-CENSORED)
  • Options
    edited October 2014

BenM said:

Ouch!

Here you go -

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2800672/the-welsh-government-claims-ten-inaccuracies-mail-s-coverage-nhs-explain-fact-correct.html

You've got a whole week of coverage to enjoy.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2800815/patients-mass-exodus-england-labour-blocks-international-inquiry-crisis-hit-welsh-nhs-thousands-cross-border-life-saving-treatment.html
  • Options
    edited October 2014

BenM said:

Ouch!

Here you go -

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2800672/the-welsh-government-claims-ten-inaccuracies-mail-s-coverage-nhs-explain-fact-correct.html

It was very telling that on Question Time a few months back, a guy got a big round of applause for saying that Labour was trashing the NHS in Wales..... So popular opinion is not good for Labour on this issue.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    FalseFlag said:

Would take the BND with a pinch of salt, but clearly saying the US and Kiev were lying, again. Of course the conversation between ATC and the pilots still not released. Best case scenario Kiev put the flight in harm's way and/or a military jet was using the plane as cover, BBC recorded eye witnesses saying they saw a military jet underneath.

Uh, I thought most people believed it was a captured missile system in that particular case rather than a Russian supplied system given that the Rebels social networked that they had captured a missile system and then tweeted that they had used it.
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    edited October 2014
    @TheWatcher

That didn't take long,would have thought they needed more than a week to cover the shambles.
  • Options
    edited October 2014

BenM said:

Ouch!

Here you go -

It was very telling that on Question Time a few months back, a guy got a big round of applause for saying that Labour was trashing the NHS in Wales..... So popular opinion is not good for Labour on this issue.
    'Our NHS' clearly isn't safe in Labours hands.

24 hours to save the health service in Wales?
  • Options

TGOHF said:

Calypso Kippers 1.35
    Con 3.85
    Lab 50

I still can't figure out Labour giving up on a big swathe of turf that has recently been their own.

The problem for Labour is that the people have give up on them rather than vice versa.
  • Options

BenM said:

Ouch!

Here you go -

the NHS for Labour is the emperor's new clothes - the Mail are the small boy pointing out they are naked.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753

You may made the NHS the central plank of your offering. It's inevitable your performance in government is going to be scrutinised.

This is just the start.
  • Options
    Test
  • Options
    taffys said:

You may made the NHS the central plank of your offering. It's inevitable your performance in government is going to be scrutinised.

This is just the start.

Peddling inaccurate drivel in the Daily Mail isn't going to overturn people's well justified scepticism about the Tories competence in handling the NHS.
  • Options
    OK so why can I only sign in on my phone and not my pc? 4th time I have reset my password

grrrrr I hate vanillaforums

Deficit news v bad again. Wot no cuts?
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    GeoffM said:

A genuine question: The Electoral Reform Society are a group with an obvious agenda. Their name makes that quite clear. Changing the electoral system is be their raison d'etre. They've even got the word "Fair" on their website which is right up there with "Health and Safety" and "Human Rights" for translating as "do-gooder buggering around with stuff with bad results"

So how have they ended up as the go-to default arbiter of so many internal elections? How have they got themselves into the (presumably lucrative) double position of campaigning busybodies and establishment insiders at the same time? Good marketing? Do they have respected rivals in this area? Am I stuck with them if I want to run a high profile internal vote and want to appear serious?

This is actually a genuine question although I'll concede it doesn't read like one in hindsight.

There are two ERSes (albeit closely linked to each other). The Electoral Reform Society is the campaigning group in favour of STV. Electoral Reform Services (which used to be less-confusingly called Electoral Reform Ballot Services) conducts elections for a wide range of groups such as trade unions and charities etc. It is done all in-house, printing all its own ballot papers as well as counting and processing them.

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,030
    Mr. C, sorry to hear of that problem. What browser are you using? it seems to work ok on Chrome.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

Calypso Kippers 1.35
    Con 3.85
    Lab 50

The problem for Labour is that the people have give up on them rather than vice versa.
    I can report that in Kent this is largely true.
  • Options

BenM said:

Ouch!

Here you go -

Presumably Labour is on course to lose a fair few seats in Wales at the next GE and also in the Assembly elections as the Welsh people deliver their verdict on its stewardship of the NHS. Or perhaps the Mail is distorting facts and figures ever so slightly. I wonder which is more likely.
  • Options

OK so why can I only sign in on my phone and not my pc? 4th time I have reset my password

grrrrr I hate vanillaforums

Deficit news v bad again. Wot no cuts?

I have to reset my password when posting from my ipad every day. PC/android phone no issue.
  • Options
    Daily Mail yesterday Official figures show that an extraordinary total of 31,000 Welsh patients are now travelling to England for treatment each year.

Well the same official figures show these numbers have fallen every year for the last 3 years down by 9,000 to 31,000 over that period whilst the number of English patients crossing the border for healthcare is rising.

You can go through every claim in the same way but hey its the Daily Mail - Ignore
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

BenM said:

Ouch!

Here you go -

the NHS for Labour is the emperor's new clothes - the Mail are the small boy pointing out they are naked.

The Mail is just doing what the Mail always does. And every time they do it, it loses a little more potency.

• Options

BenM said:

Ouch!

Here you go -

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2800815/patients-mass-exodus-england-labour-blocks-international-inquiry-crisis-hit-welsh-nhs-thousands-cross-border-life-saving-treatment.html
    Interesting how much of the Mail's piece is reliant on so much whataboutery, emails, discussions and hearsay.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,013
    Socrates said:

Mr Clarke said a section of the population was "bigoted and anti-foreigners" and that some politicians "arouse prejudice", but: "Most people, particularly young people, understand that we're in a global economy, you get used to people who don't speak your language, and you do meet people who are foreign."

What a scumbag Ken Clarke is, doing the whole "if you have an issue with immigration you are a bigot" nonsense. Presumably he met a fair few people who were foreign when he was trying to sell addictive health-damaging products to the world's poorest?

I'm not sure what the Conservatives want.

On the one hand you get "why don't you piss off and join UKIP." Then, when you do that, you get "you're splitting the right wing vote."

• Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    edited October 2014
    Sean_F said:

Socrates said:

I'm not sure what the Conservatives want.

On the one hand you get "why don't you piss off and join UKIP." Then, when you do that, you get "you're splitting the right wing vote."

Presumably the solution is for ALL the Conservatives that disagree with Ken Clarke's view on ever closer union to join UKIP. Then there'd be no real split any more.
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    The issue of national significance for the Tory party is the proposed destruction of the nightingale in the Rochester and Stood by-election.I would want to vote for the candidate who will do most to save it and its habitat.This is the bird Vera Lynn sang about for goodness sake.
    The Tories keep banging on about Europe when they should be banging on about nightingales.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

FalseFlag said:

Uh, I thought most people believed it was a captured missile system in that particular case rather than a Russian supplied system given that the Rebels social networked that they had captured a missile system and then tweeted that they had used it.
    On NBC’s “Meet the Press,” David Gregory asked, “Are you bottom-lining here that Russia provided the weapon?”

Kerry: “There’s a story today confirming that, but we have not within the Administration made a determination. But it’s pretty clear when – there’s a build-up of extraordinary circumstantial evidence. I’m a former prosecutor. I’ve tried cases on circumstantial evidence; it’s powerful here.”
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    BenM said:

taffys said:

This is just the start.

Peddling inaccurate drivel in the Daily Mail isn't going to overturn people's well justified scepticism about the Tories competence in handling the NHS.
    Since it was founded how many years has the NHS survived under:

1 Labour Administration
    2 Conservative Administration
    3 Coalition Administration

I think history shows it is able to survive and sometimes flourish under any administration.
  • Options
    ''Peddling inaccurate drivel in the Daily Mail isn't going to overturn people's well justified scepticism about the Tories competence in handling the NHS.''

Whatever your protestations, it would be ludicrous to claim the NHS in Wales is any better shape than in England.

Voters won;t get a better service with labour, they'll just get a dog with different fleas.

Looking forward to the next set of PISA results. That should show the full extent of the labour catastrophe on educashun, your other false totem.

• Options
    taffys said:

This is just the start.

Scrutinised you mean distorted and lied about.

I an sure you are correct but fortunately the right wing media has far less influence then in light bulb days.
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    edited October 2014

BenM said:

Ouch!

Here you go -

Presumably Labour is on course to lose a fair few seats in Wales at the next GE and also in the Assembly elections as the Welsh people deliver their verdict on its stewardship of the NHS. Or perhaps the Mail is distorting facts and figures ever so slightly. I wonder which is more likely.
    Labour's Westminster VI in Wales has been trending down since Jan 2013.

http://blogs.cardiff.ac.uk/electionsinwales/opinion-polls/

http://blogs.cardiff.ac.uk/electionsinwales/wp-content/uploads/sites/100/2013/07/Wales10.pdf
  • Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038
    I'm surprised that this postal primary is legal. Sending ballots to everyone in the seat is tantamount to junk mail or spamming. Certainly I think there's a very strong case that it should be counted under election expenses, since it's advertising the party and the candidate. Hopefully once the lawyers have got their teeth into it, it'll be the last time it happens.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Itajai said:

Pulpstar said:

Itajai said:

FalseFlag said:

Was rather hoping you would.
    The food and music scene was brought up as an example of the benefits of immigration. Worryingly, by an otherwise sensible poster.
    To be fair, it *is* a benefit of immigration.

Not a material one, perhaps, but absolutely a benefit.
  • Options
    BenM said:

TGOHF said:

Calypso Kippers 1.35
    Con 3.85
    Lab 50

BenM said:

TGOHF said:

Calypso Kippers 1.35
    Con 3.85
    Lab 50

I think it's likely that in Kent that UKIP takes as many votes off Labour as the Conservatives. But, it's surprising how Labour just seems to have given up in seats that they held prior to 2010.

• Options
    edited October 2014

taffys said:

This is just the start.

Scrutinised you mean distorted and lied about.

I an sure you are correct but fortunately the right wing media has far less influence then in light bulb days.
    Odd then that you and Ben are getting worked up about the Mail's offerings, if it's of no significance.
  • Options
    philiph said:

BenM said:

taffys said:

This is just the start.

1 Labour Administration

I think history shows it is able to survive and sometimes flourish under any administration.
    There has never been a £30bn black hole in the history of the NHS until now.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,079

BenM said:

Ouch!

Here you go -

Labour's Westminster VI in Wales has been trending down since Jan 2013.

http://blogs.cardiff.ac.uk/electionsinwales/opinion-polls/

http://blogs.cardiff.ac.uk/electionsinwales/wp-content/uploads/sites/100/2013/07/Wales10.pdf
    Similar to the rest of the country, it seems lib dems went to labour but are now looking elsewhere
  • Options
    Is the deficit now actually rising as well as the debt?

Is this a set back for George Osborne?
  • Options
    Odd then that you and Ben are getting worked up about the Mail's offerings, if it's of no significance or influence.

The central message voters will get is that the NHS is no better under labour than the tories, and it is possibly worse.

It would be crazy to claim otherwise, based on the evidence from Wales.
  • Options
    edited October 2014

philiph said:

BenM said:

taffys said:

This is just the start.

1 Labour Administration

Just as well they haven't had to go through the last 4 year with Labours proposed cuts then.

Just for your delight, the approximate time each party has run NHS are:
    1 Labour Administration Approx 25 years
    2 Conservative Administration Approx 37 years
    3 Coalition Administration Approx 4 years
  • Options

philiph said:

BenM said:

taffys said:

This is just the start.

1 Labour Administration

So why is it so much worse in Wales than England ?
  • Options

Yes. He has botched this and now there is no money to reward voters for their patience with austerity.
  • Options

Is the deficit now actually rising as well as the debt?

Problem is last year keeps getting revised down ;)

Feb is crunch month - look at the graphs

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/economics/11176291/George-Osborne-set-to-miss-deficit-targets-as-Government-borrowing-jumps.html
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

philiph said:

BenM said:

taffys said:

This is just the start.

1 Labour Administration

It isn't.
  • Options
    In today's Yougov poll 40% want to remain in the EU, 39% want to leave. Voters in England and Wales are slightly in favour of leaving, voters in Scotland in favour of staying. If it's that close, Northern Ireland might tip the scale in favour of leaving.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    FalseFlag said:

Alistair said:

FalseFlag said:

On NBC’s “Meet the Press,” David Gregory asked, “Are you bottom-lining here that Russia provided the weapon?”

Kerry: “There’s a story today confirming that, but we have not within the Administration made a determination. But it’s pretty clear when – there’s a build-up of extraordinary circumstantial evidence. I’m a former prosecutor. I’ve tried cases on circumstantial evidence; it’s powerful here.”
    Kerry and the interviewer seem to be talking at cross purposes. Kerry is talking about Russia clearly giving material aid to the Rebels and that the rebels clearly launched the missile. The Interviewer wants to know if the Russians supplied the actual missile and launch system to which Kerry responds that the Ameican government has not come down one way or another on that issue.

Kerry:"So there’s a stacking-up of evidence here which Russia needs to help account for. We are not drawing the final conclusion here"
  • Options
    It isn't.

Maybe, but it sure ain't better. And that's the key.
  • Options
    Dadge said:

I'm surprised that this postal primary is legal. Sending ballots to everyone in the seat is tantamount to junk mail or spamming. Certainly I think there's a very strong case that it should be counted under election expenses, since it's advertising the party and the candidate. Hopefully once the lawyers have got their teeth into it, it'll be the last time it happens.

Michael Crick thinks it's dodgy!

http://blogs.channel4.com/michael-crick-on-politics/lawyers-judges-overturn-tory-victory-rochester/4541

• Options

TGOHF said:

philiph said:

BenM said:

taffys said:

This is just the start.

1 Labour Administration

It isn't.
    Why do Welsh people opt for treatment in England and not vice versa ?
  • Options
    http://conservativewoman.co.uk/david-keighley-canute-stem-tide-dave-curb-eu-immigration/

An excellent summation of Cameron's position on immigration.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

philiph said:

BenM said:

taffys said:

This is just the start.

1 Labour Administration

It isn't.
    So why isn't it much better than the UK?

After all, Wales has a Labour administration to nurture the Welsh NHS. Wales should expect much better standards than the rest of the UK. It is what Labour do. If they can't deliver a better NHS, then there is no point to them at all.
  • Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    @TGOHF
    In quite a few areas, because English hospitals are more convenient to get to?
  • Options

Dadge said:

Michael Crick thinks it's dodgy!

http://blogs.channel4.com/michael-crick-on-politics/lawyers-judges-overturn-tory-victory-rochester/4541

That must be why Ukip didn't have one in Clacton or R&S then ?? ...
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,157

On topic, I’ve asked before why any party should run all-elector primaries. I don’t care very much who the Tory candidate is; I’m wildly unlikely to vote for him or her. Indeed, if I did bother to vote I’d probably vote for the least attractive candidate on the grounds that if they were the actual Parliamentary candidate it would give someone from the Left a better chance. If I were a Kipper in R&S I’d vote for the more liberal Tory on preceisely those grounds!

The obvious endgame here is that all the parties do a primary and the ERS or whoever do them all in one go. So each voter gets a single envelope, with a ballot for each party, but they're only allowed to return one.
  • Options

The issue of national significance for the Tory party is the proposed destruction of the nightingale in the Rochester and Stood by-election.I would want to vote for the candidate who will do most to save it and its habitat.This is the bird Vera Lynn sang about for goodness sake.
    The Tories keep banging on about Europe when they should be banging on about nightingales.

Oh, so NOW Labour wants to talk about the housing needs of the million migrants it let in unchecked? It doesn't want to build houses for them? Have I got that right?

It probably wants to talk about the hospital beds and school places it didn't cater for either? No? You surprise me...

Interestingly, this is the scheme Mark Reckless was pushing forward very heavily - until July, oddly, when he did a 180 degree on it....

• Options
    Alistair said:

FalseFlag said:

Alistair said:

FalseFlag said:

Kerry and the interviewer seem to be talking at cross purposes. Kerry is talking about Russia clearly giving material aid to the Rebels and that the rebels clearly launched the missile. The Interviewer wants to know if the Russians supplied the actual missile and launch system to which Kerry responds that the Ameican government has not come down one way or another on that issue.

Kerry:"So there’s a stacking-up of evidence here which Russia needs to help account for. We are not drawing the final conclusion here"
    I am no fan of Kerry but it is clear the inference he was making, as indeed were the numerous media reports released after the tragic event. What is clear that even the BND now accepts Russia had nothing to do with the shooting down, you clearly accept this narrative shift.

It is a shame the conversations with ATC and the blackbox recordings have not been released.
  • Options
    If they can't deliver a better NHS, then there is no point to them at all.

The truth that dare not speak its name. Labour are worse on their last remaining key planks than the tories.

To be fair, they have already thrown in the towel on educashun.
  • Options
    taffys said:

Odd then that you and Ben are getting worked up about the Mail's offerings, if it's of no significance or influence.

The central message voters will get is that the NHS is no better under labour than the tories, and it is possibly worse.

It would be crazy to claim otherwise, based on the evidence from Wales.

I never actually read the Mail but I have to admit if its articles were designed to get non right wing people worked up it does succeed.

Mainly due to the incredible bias.

You do realise the headline could have read

"Exodus of patients from English NHS to Wales increases by 12% in a year, as Wales residents shun English NHS numbers down by 9,000.

I think I should just stop biting the Mail should be ignored
  • Options
    n quite a few areas, because English hospitals are more convenient to get to?

ROFL
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

philiph said:

BenM said:

taffys said:

This is just the start.

1 Labour Administration

It isn't.
    Why do Welsh people opt for treatment in England and not vice versa ?
    BJO quoted official statistics that show the number of people heading from Wales -> England for NHS treatment is declining while the number of people heading from England -> Wales is increasing, though he didn't say which number was higher.

You never pay attention when you are contradicted on here, so why do you bother posting?
This discussion has been closed.